PDA

View Full Version : analysing the three Dumbarton Goals

worcesterhibby
23-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Before I start I'd just like to say well done Hibs..6 goals and three points and some cracking football.

However we all love to analyse football matches and pretend we're a TV pundit and I've just watched the goals on Hibs TV for the fourth time and looking at the goals we conceded I don't think Liam Fontaine had a particularly good day at the office. To one extent or another he was at fault for all three of the Dumbarton goals.

Goal One…misjudges his jump, misses the ball and allows Nish a free header which he heads down to Kane to volley in.

Goal two…Is marking Graham and then decides to leave him free and wander towards the back post, is caught in no mans land and Graham get's a free header which he buries.

Goal three…Liam does manage a headed clearance this time, but it's a weak one which drops just outside the box and lands for Fleming to pick up, sidestep and fire into the bottom corner.

Now I'm not suggesting that some of the other defenders couldn't have got involved too, and I think the whole team defended too deep at the start of the 2nd half which contributed to all three goals we conceded, but after a pretty solid start to his Hibs career it's a shame to see LF struggling a little. Let's hope he tightens things up, works hard and helps earn us a clean sheet next time…genuinely interested to hear if others saw the Dumbarton goals the same way or if you think I'm being harsh on LF ??

Hermit Crab
23-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Before I start I'd just like to say well done Hibs..6 goals and three points and some cracking football.

However we all love to analyse football matches and pretend we're a TV pundit and I've just watched the goals on Hibs TV for the fourth time and looking at the goals we conceded I don't think Liam Fontaine had a particularly good day at the office. To one extent or another he was at fault for all three of the Dumbarton goals.

Goal One…misjudges his jump, misses the ball and allows Nish a free header which he heads down to Kane to volley in.

Goal two…Is marking Graham and then decides to leave him free and wander towards the back post, is caught in no mans land and Graham get's a free header which he buries.

Goal three…Liam does manage a headed clearance this time, but it's a weak one which drops just outside the box and lands for Fleming to pick up, sidestep and fire into the bottom corner.

Now I'm not suggesting that some of the other defenders couldn't have got involved too, and I think the whole team defended too deep at the start of the 2nd half which contributed to all three goals we conceded, but after a pretty solid start to his Hibs career it's a shame to see LF struggling a little. Let's hope he tightens things up, works hard and helps earn us a clean sheet next time…genuinely interested to hear if others saw the Dumbarton goals the same way or if you think I'm being harsh on LF ??

A bit bit harsh I think as other players can get out to stop the crosses before the get the chance to get them over into the box.

B.H.F.C
23-11-2014, 10:03 PM
We just didn't do simple things right. Didn't make enough effort to stop the ball coming in to the box. When we did win the header we didn't react to the second ball.

Lack of concentration because the first half had been too easy for them.

Luckily we were as good s you'll see us going the other way.

O'Rourke3
23-11-2014, 10:05 PM

We need to be sharper in our own box. When a CH gets beat the attacker should not have a free header from the second ball. We've lost goals because we are not quick enough closing down guys who look like they may shoot. LF may not have had his best game but he's not the reason we lost 3 goals.

Mibbes Aye
23-11-2014, 10:24 PM

I genuinely think this is a good idea for a thread. Hopefully some decent (and no doubt varying) analysis of what we are watching. God knows we don't get that from TV or the press :greengrin. It's also something we maybe don't see enough of on the board, just good debate about tactics and performance

I instinctively like Fontaine so I'll have to guard against being biased! I wasn't at the game so am relying on the footage, but then that's allowable if we are talking analysis.

Goal 1 - I think his positioning is just wrong. He's got ahead and in front of his man and any mistake on his part is leaving the door open

Goal 2 - the attacker is sharper. He peels off, LF isn't paying attention to follow.

Goal 3 - I have some sympathy. He's trying to clear the ball and it's only picked up by them because we are sitting far too deep. At one point it looks like we have six in the box and they have two. That's just giving away space in front of us.

All in all, I agree with your point about the second half. I think goals 2 and 3 were down to us being nervy. With the first, clear mistake, but then let's give Nish credit - he's been a consistent forward in the SPL for years and he's experienced enough to time a feint or a run.

Certainly there's good learning to to be taken from all three goals and I hope the team doesn't ignore that.

hibs0666
23-11-2014, 10:41 PM
When are you going to analyse our six goals?

worcesterhibby
23-11-2014, 11:09 PM
When are you going to analyse our six goals?

More than happy to :greengrin

1st Goal… One touch passing between Craig, Handling, Malonga and then Handling with a lovely through ball for Allan who finishes well. Not really badly defended, just a very well worked goal and the Dumbarton defender tracking Allan just didn't have the pace to make up the ground despite not giving up.

2nd Goal…more one touch passing between Allan, Craig and Malonga led to malonga clean through and a nice chipped finish. Megginson defended malongas run poorly and seemed very scared of giving away a penalty and pretty much just let him run through. Keeper was poor as well and I actually thought the defender on the line could have done a better job of trying to clear.

3rd Goal…Allan works a bit of magic from a short corner, turns his man Hits the bye line and send in a delicious cross that Hanlon buries. Poor defending by the guy covering Allan, and a better defender might have cut the cross out at the front post.

4th goal… Malonga stunna! nice little lay off from Cummings which Malonga touches once to get out of his feet and then fires into the top corner from 25-30 yards..to be fair the covering Dumbarton player was trying to close him down, but he hit it so early he never got the chance.

5th goal…Scott Allan shows real skill to make space for a through ball to Malonga, one touch switches it left to Craig who slides it left again to Sammy S who drives into the box and hits it hard with his left peg into the bottom corner across the goalie. To be fair a really well worked goal against a tiring side..hard to blame the defenders, although perhaps the keeper could have come out quicker to narrow the angle for Sam's shot.

6th goal…started and finished by Malonga..final ball I think was slotted by Allan (might have been Cummings last touch before coming off??) Dumbarton were knackered by this time and the quality of the passing just tore them open.

All in all some fantastic football…interesting to note how many times Craig's name appears, he's no Frank Sauzee but he was very involved in almost all the goals..like most of us I have moaned about him in the past so credit where it's due.

worcesterhibby
23-11-2014, 11:15 PM
I genuinely think this is a good idea for a thread. Hopefully some decent (and no doubt varying) analysis of what we are watching. God knows we don't get that from TV or the press :greengrin. It's also something we maybe don't see enough of on the board, just good debate about tactics and performance

I instinctively like Fontaine so I'll have to guard against being biased! I wasn't at the game so am relying on the footage, but then that's allowable if we are talking analysis.

Goal 1 - I think his positioning is just wrong. He's got ahead and in front of his man and any mistake on his part is leaving the door open

Goal 2 - the attacker is sharper. He peels off, LF isn't paying attention to follow.

Goal 3 - I have some sympathy. He's trying to clear the ball and it's only picked up by them because we are sitting far too deep. At one point it looks like we have six in the box and they have two. That's just giving away space in front of us.

All in all, I agree with your point about the second half. I think goals 2 and 3 were down to us being nervy. With the first, clear mistake, but then let's give Nish credit - he's been a consistent forward in the SPL for years and he's experienced enough to time a feint or a run.

Certainly there's good learning to to be taken from all three goals and I hope the team doesn't ignore that.

Worth noting I wasn't at the game either..so also only analysing from the goals footage..LF may have played very well outside of the goals. For goal three, it has to be admitted that it's a very good hit that flies into the bottom corner..I bet 9 times outa ten he would have fired that wide…you're right it a bit harsh to blame Liam for the third.

The_Horde
23-11-2014, 11:28 PM
Goalie possibly to blame partially for the second? Looked to me like he could've certainly done better with it. Good header but looked to loop over him. And he's not a small guy. Bad positioning?

Pete
24-11-2014, 06:19 AM
Liam Craig featuring in the build ups with some nice touches in an advanced role.

Hopefully he goes from strength to strength.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-11-2014, 06:22 AM

I blame SKY.

J-C
24-11-2014, 06:40 AM
I'd like to know what happens in the half time team talks Stubbs does, the amount of times we seem to be strolling 1st half and then are very lackadaisical after the break.

HH81
24-11-2014, 06:40 AM
Just seen them and I don't think keeper at fault for any of them? It was just bad defending in front of him.

6 very good goals from Hibs though. :aok:

blackpoolhibs
24-11-2014, 06:46 AM
My analysis of ALL the goals, poor defending from us for their goals, and good quick attacking play from us plus some poor defending from the for ours.

Their goals were hardly works of art, and they really did not have to work hard for them. Our goals showed that when we play well, the normal opposition in this league can't live with us.

IWasThere2016
24-11-2014, 11:21 AM
I blame SKY.

I blame Petrie. Always. What we talking about it? :wink: :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
24-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Very well constructed goals from Hibs. Dumbarton goals?......"2nd ball".

Paloschi
24-11-2014, 11:42 AM

Goal one was Scott Robertson for me. While Fontaine is beaten by Nish the ball drops to Kane who is unmarked. Robertson should have followed that run but instead, strangely, followed the flight of the ball.

Goal two I agree. Individual error and poor marking.

Goal three was a good finish by the Dumbarton player to be fair, not enough pressure from the midfield on him though, we should have got back to protect the back 4. Robertson, Craig and Allan all indirectly culpable but when we put on an attacking display like that defending as a team can be harder to organise.

A great performance by the team, if we cut out the individual errors we would have won 6-1 perhaps but delighted none the less.

Brightside
24-11-2014, 11:53 AM

For some reason Hanlon was picked out again as being soft by many on here... yet he wasn't involved in any of the goals apart from putting a clearing tackle in when covering for Lewis. Also Handlings play for Allans goal was top class. But he's murder too! ;-)

Lago
24-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Like some on here only saw game on hibs tv, and first thought was everyone of the goals hibs lost was down to defensive mistakes. Simple hopeful balls into goal area in all 3 cases. Need to do better.

TowerHibs
24-11-2014, 01:41 PM
For some reason Hanlon was picked out again as being soft by many on here... yet he wasn't involved in any of the goals apart from putting a clearing tackle in when covering for Lewis. Also Handlings play for Allans goal was top class. But he's murder too! ;-)

top class???? a simple 20 yard ball is now top class????

Scott Allan for Hanlon's goal is top class.

Im eager for Handling to do well, i really am. He just doesnt get involved enough in my opinion. Manager seems to bring him off too, almost every week.

Deansy
24-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Hard to analyse something I've not seen - any clips ?

TowerHibs
24-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Hard to analyse something I've not seen - any clips ?

link is above mate

Sudds_1
24-11-2014, 01:54 PM
top class???? a simple 20 yard ball is now top class????

Scott Allan for Hanlon's goal is top class.

Im eager for Handling to do well, i really am. He just doesnt get involved enough in my opinion. Manager seems to bring him off too, almost every week.

oer.....care to re-phrase? :-)

TowerHibs
24-11-2014, 01:55 PM
oer.....care to re-phrase? :-)

pull him off.........