PDA

View Full Version : The Club That Vanished

23-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Just watching a documentary on sky sports 1 about the story of Gretna. Absolutely incredible how far they came and what they achieved. So wish they had done it in that scottish cup final but as usual the yams squirmed their way through!

Sad ending to their unbelievable journey. Once the money was gone, the fairytale was over and it was back down to earth with a huge bump.

GreenArmyyy!
23-11-2014, 05:57 PM
If I was a Gretna fan I wouldn't have changed it for the world. Without Mileson piling all of his money in to the club they would never had made it anywhere near where they reached. Must have been great fun.

marinello59
23-11-2014, 06:00 PM
If I was a Gretna fan I wouldn't have changed it for the world. Without Mileson piling all of his money in to the club they would never had made it anywhere near where they reached. Must have been great fun.

Not so much fun for Mileson's family though. A backside of a man.

Pretty Boy
23-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Tbh I never really saw Gretna as any different from any other club who got in over their head financially.

One mans ego trip that they were happy to go along with whilst it lasted.

Scottie
23-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Not so much fun for Mileson's family though. A backside of a man.
Harsh. Did you know him personally ?

23-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Tbh I never really saw Gretna as any different from any other club who got in over their head financially.

One mans ego trip that they were happy to go along with whilst it lasted.

A team going from a very small, non-league wee village team to playing in the SPL, scottish cup final and in europe all in the space of what 5/6 years? Thats pretty amazing. Didn't particularly like Gretna that much because of their yam love in but it is a pretty amazing story.

Pretty Boy
23-11-2014, 06:12 PM
A team going from a very small, non-league wee village team to playing in the SPL, scottish cup final and in europe all in the space of what 5/6 years? Thats pretty amazing. Didn't particularly like Gretna that much because of their yam love in but it is a pretty amazing story.

It would be an amazing story if they had achieved that whilst living within their means.

As it was they bankrupted themselves to do it. Players weren't leaving 1st division clubs to go down to the 3rd division for the fun of it.

23-11-2014, 06:24 PM
It would be an amazing story if they had achieved that whilst living within their means.

As it was they bankrupted themselves to do it. Players weren't leaving 1st division clubs to go down to the 3rd division for the fun of it.

I mean I get what your meaning, that it wouldn't have all happened if some millionaire hadn't come along and ploughed god knows how much into it all but it is still quite a story how they went from absolutely nothing and shot up to completely unimagined heights.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Recorded it earlier. Gonna give it a watch soon.

SMAXXA
23-11-2014, 07:03 PM

So what it's still an amazing story regardless or that

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2014, 07:24 PM
I watched it, and while its a great story they were living way beyond their means and he left with creditors due £3m odd. Would we be so starry eyed if Sky did a documentary about those gimps over the other side of town?

Hibs Class
23-11-2014, 07:27 PM

It's an amazing story because of that, not regardless. Take away the financial cheating and you take away the story.

Pretty Boy
23-11-2014, 07:28 PM

It's an interesting story no doubt. Not an amazing one imo.

I'd say what the likes of Ross County have achieved is far more amazing than Gretna as it has been sustainable and has a longevity about it.

One Day
23-11-2014, 07:38 PM

I'd say what the likes of Ross County have achieved is far more amazing than Gretna as it has been sustainable and has a longevity about it.

I agree with this

SMAXXA
23-11-2014, 07:39 PM

Fair point :agree:

marinello59
23-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Harsh. Did you know him personally ?

No.
Would you blow your families money and inheritance on an ego trip?

Iggy Pope
23-11-2014, 07:43 PM
I watched it, and while its a great story they were living way beyond their means and he left with creditors due £3m odd. Would we be so starry eyed if Sky did a documentary about those gimps over the other side of town?

Given their close relationship and the bankrupt Mileson taking out press ads thanking the sparryheids, maybe it will be the sequel.
Never understand this admiration we throw at the thieves.

Scottie
23-11-2014, 08:14 PM
No.
Would you blow your families money and inheritance on an ego trip?
Hell yeah!

Its all about me. I'd buy Hibs off STF. :wink:

Sylar
23-11-2014, 08:18 PM
People hate Hearts for how they secured their cups. People hate Livingston for that cup win and their overall success. People hate Rangers and Celtc for buying every success they've ever known, not to mention those Premiership clubs who do it year in, year out. People hated Dundee for what they did...

Gretna deserve nothing but the same contempt, lest ye all be hypocrites. They tried to buy their fairytale and it killed them - wibble wibble...

You want a real 'fairytale' story, look no further than Inverness Caledonian Thistle. What they've achieved and sustained in their recent history is quite amazing :agree:

nonshinyfinish
23-11-2014, 08:19 PM

Bang on.

Pete
23-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Given their close relationship and the bankrupt Mileson taking out press ads thanking the sparryheids, maybe it will be the sequel.
Never understand this admiration we throw at the thieves.

Hearts: The jobby that wouldn't flush.

HH81
24-11-2014, 06:47 AM
I watched it and they should have stayed in the unibond.

What did strike me though was how much debt owner was in? I always thought he was a millionaire but seems he was just spending other people's money. :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
24-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Wondering if there will be a blockbuster follow up about the now defunct Glasgow rangers?nae shortage of pantomime villains.

Keith_M
24-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Dingwall: Population 5,491.

Local Football Club - Ross County

Stadium Capacity: 6,541

Average Attendance(2013/14): 3,806 *

Final League Position(2013/14): Premier League- 7th.

Number of Creditors cheated out of money to get them where they are: 0

* Equivelant to 69% of town population. Put in context, Hibs would need to average 336,000 per home game to equal that percentage.

Bostonhibby
24-11-2014, 08:59 AM

* Equivelant to 69% of town population. Put in context, Hibs would need to average 336,000 per home game to equal that percentage.

Difficult one to achieve when you think theres 400,000 yam and they sell out every week.:greengrin

Keith_M
24-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Difficult one to achieve when you think theres 400,000 yam and they sell out every week.:greengrin

True!

:greengrin

Oscar T Grouch
24-11-2014, 09:28 AM

While I am not arguing with these figures, Ross & Cromarty have a population of around 50000, I would imagine RCs support comes from the whole area rather than just Dingwall. Still, RC and ICT are and should be shining examples on how to run a football club in Scotland, where the population is clumped in the central belt, these two clubs have thrived in the sparsely populated highlands, without spending other peoples money or thieving off charities.

Smartie
24-11-2014, 09:30 AM

I agree that the Ross County "story" deserves far more respect than the Gretna one. Getting success in an unsustainable way, spending other people's money is something that should be ridiculed and is just totally unacceptable, whether it's Rangers, Hearts, Gretna or whoever.

I have to say that I was quite chuffed for St Johnstone when they won the cup last year. They seemed to always be floating about near the top of the First Division carefully living within their means whilst constantly getting leapfrogged by Dundee, Livingston, Gretna etc. I would say that them and us are probably the 2 teams to have lost out most by financial doping.

They've managed to live withing their means for a while and reaped the rewards with their trophy in May. Worthy of respect imo.

Keith_M
24-11-2014, 11:45 AM
While I am not arguing with these figures, Ross & Cromarty have a population of around 50000, I would imagine RCs support comes from the whole area rather than just Dingwall. Still, RC and ICT are and should be shining examples on how to run a football club in Scotland, where the population is clumped in the central belt, these two clubs have thrived in the sparsely populated highlands, without spending other peoples money or thieving off charities.

I know, I was quite 'selective' in my figures. However, I wouldn't exactly consider the 10,000 people that live on Skye (also part of Ross and Cromarty) to exactly be in Ross County's catchment area either :wink:

Truth is, they're in an area (if you count reasonable travelling distance) with a population of about 20-30,000 at most. The attendances are still remarkable, either way

Pretty Boy
24-11-2014, 11:54 AM
I know, I was quite 'selective' in my figures. However, I wouldn't exactly consider the 10,000 people that live on Skye (also part of Ross and Cromarty) to exactly be in Ross County's catchment area either :wink:

Truth is, they're in an area (if you count reasonable travelling distance) with a population of about 20-30,000 at most. The attendances are still remarkable, either way

It doesn't take a huge amount of Google detective work to find a number of 'Loyal' supporters clubs from that area. I dare say there are 1 or 2 Celtic SCs creeping about as well. Due to their relatively recent entry to the league set up both RC and ICT probably struggle even more so than those in the central belt with losing glory hunters to the Glasgow two.

Peevemor
24-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Guingamp, who regained promotion to the French top league last summer have sold 9k+ season tickets. The population of te town is around 7,200.

Oscar T Grouch
24-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Aye like I said in no taking away from your figures. It's still a high percentage of the populous that attend Dingwall ever 2nd week.

Personally I don't think there's anything remarkable about Gretna's story. They spent money they didn't have they deserved their annialation. Well the club did, the fans less so. many other clubs did the same and most got what they deserved, we know the ones that didnae 😉

Sir David Gray
25-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Just watched a bit of the programme tonight, I didn't realise that Brooks Mileson had debts of over £8 million when he died.

Gretna certainly wasn't some miracle story. They lived well beyond their means and their demise was inevitable.

Some people have made a good point regarding Ross County and there's other ones too. Eibar were promoted to this season's La Liga, despite their stadium only having a capacity of a little more than 5,000 and the city itself having less than 30,000 inhabitants.

They've got there having spent almost nothing on their squad and are currently sitting around mid-table in the top league in Spain.

PS - Just realised as well that if you type "to live outwith your means" into Google (with the quotation marks included), one of the first results is a link to Kickback.

True story, try it and see!

You couldn't make that up. :greengrin

monktonharp
26-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Aye like I said in no taking away from your figures. It's still a high percentage of the populous that attend Dingwall ever 2nd week.

Personally I don't think there's anything remarkable about Gretna's story. They spent money they didn't have they deserved their annialation. Well the club did, the fans less so. many other clubs did the same and most got what they deserved, we know the ones that didnae ok, maybe not really so remarkable, but I need to mention this...... I woke up, still suitably pished from my celebrations after Hibernian winning the League cup against Dunfermline. I said to my good lady, did you tape it? yes, of course, she said. then tells me that there was a we bit on the end of it aboot an English club, but I think you might recognise a guy on it. turns out, the bit on the end, was a wee 10 minute story about a club called Gretna Green, a Scottish club who were the only ones to actually play in an English league. It then went on to explain that the manager, was the guy that cut the grass, marked oot the lines etc at their ground. then, after they introduced him I suddenly realised that it was the guy I thought he was. Michael Mc Cartney, had been brought up round the corner from me in Newcraighall. he was a fantastic player, a year younger than me but captain at schools/ under16 /under18 captain of Scotland youths etc etc. we were good mates as laddies, he also played with West Brom, Southampton and Carlisle before settling for Gretna. Imet him in a pub by chance, about 4 years ago in Carlisle where he now runs the pub team! always been a jambo, comes hame to see the **** now and again.

GreenOnions
26-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Hearts: The jobby that wouldn't flush.

:tee hee:

Keith_M
26-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Personally I don't think there's anything remarkable about Gretna's story. They spent money they didn't have they deserved their annialation. Well the club did, the fans less so. many other clubs did the same and most got what they deserved, we know the ones that didnae 

:aok:

hibstag
26-11-2014, 09:52 PM
I agree that the Ross County "story" deserves far more respect than the Gretna one. Getting success in an unsustainable way, spending other people's money is something that should be ridiculed and is just totally unacceptable, whether it's Rangers, Hearts, Gretna or whoever.

I have to say that I was quite chuffed for St Johnstone when they won the cup last year. They seemed to always be floating about near the top of the First Division carefully living within their means whilst constantly getting leapfrogged by Dundee, Livingston, Gretna etc. I would say that them and us are probably the 2 teams to have lost out most by financial doping.

They've managed to live withing their means for a while and reaped the rewards with their trophy in May. Worthy of respect imo.
the year Gretna went up they pipped st johnstone to the title with a very late equaliser in Dingwall that also relegated Ross County that season the footage of that game in the subsequent chick young fronted documentary shows counties infustructure with the football academy and a decent lower league ground whilst Gretna were still running out of a portacabin with substandard facilities (they used fir park iirc for the spl) the love in for them was sickening with very little critiscm at the time....although their last league win was against another team with a dodgy owner and no financial morals.