PDA

View Full Version : Nice wee earner for Celtic

Billy Whizz
23-11-2014, 08:13 AM
St Johnstone and Dundee United continue to chase SFA over Scottish Cup final gate receipts after each received less than 30 per cent in payment
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstone-dundee-united-continue-4678330

Del Boy
23-11-2014, 08:24 AM
SFA are a shambles of an organisation. Run by muppets.

Keith_M
23-11-2014, 08:58 AM
St Johnstone and Dundee United continue to chase SFA over Scottish Cup final gate receipts after each received less than 30 per cent in payment
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstone-dundee-united-continue-4678330

Clickable link

:wink:

Billy Whizz
23-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Clickabtle link

:wink:
Thanks
Links dont seem to post properly from your phone
I presume Celtic have also had this sort of payment x2 for the recent Scotland games and Rangers as well
Around a £1 million between them

Keith_M
23-11-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks
Links dont seem to post properly from your phone
I presume Celtic have also had this sort of payment x2 for the recent Scotland games and Rangers as well
Around a £1 million between them

Just goes to show that Peter Lawell is the man in charge at the SFA.

If they had done a better job of rebuilding Hampden (without running track and a decent size), this situation would never have occurred.

Hibbyradge
23-11-2014, 09:26 AM
SFA are a shambles of an organisation. Run by muppets.

It seems to me that the the muppets are the clubs for complaining about this, and the Record for running such a non-story.

A club which provides a neutral venue, (in this case Celtc, but Hibs in the past) receive 20% of the gate receipts. The SFA gets 5% iirc and the rest is split evenly between the competing teams.

So, if Celtc's £267000 equates to 20%, then the total recepts must have been 5 x £267000 = £1335000.

Deduct Celtc's fee £267000 and policing costs, £140000, leaves a sum of £928000.

Half of that per finalist is actually less than the £500k the teams received. (The SFA's 5% will probably have been taken off the gross receipts).

My only question would be whether the policing costs should have been paid out of Celtic's share.

The rules should be clear about that aspect so this is a storm in a tea-cup.

Hibbyradge
23-11-2014, 09:34 AM
In fact, I've checked and the match expenses are split between the competing clubs, not the host club.

St Johnstone and Dundee United, not to mention the Daily Record, should learn the rules.

When a match in any Round other than the Preliminary Round (if applicable), First,
Second, Third, Semi-Final and Final Rounds is played on a neutral ground:-

(1) A levy of 5% of the monies received from all admission charges to the
match shall be paid to the Association within three days of the date on
which the match is played.

(2) After payment of the levy foresaid, the club on whose ground the match is
played shall be paid a rental of 20% of the balance of the monies received
from all admission charges to the match.

(3) When the balance is sufficient, each competing club shall be entitled to
reimbursement of expenditure on travel, in terms of Rule 45.

(4) When the balance is insufficient, the sum available shall be divided between
them, in proportion to their expenditure on travel.

(5) Any surplus remaining after payment of travel expenses, shall be divided,
equally, between them.

The competing clubs shall be responsible, jointly, for payment of the match
expenses

Paragraph 45 (d)

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SFAPublications/SFAHandbook/12%20CupCompRules.pdf

Del Boy
23-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Yeah but it's the SFA who make these rules and the teams who reach the final should be getting a bigger percentage than they do.

Billy Whizz
23-11-2014, 09:53 AM
In fact, I've checked and the match expenses are split between the competing clubs, not the host club.

St Johnstone and Dundee United, not to mention the Daily Record, should learn the rules.

When a match in any Round other than the Preliminary Round (if applicable), First,
Second, Third, Semi-Final and Final Rounds is played on a neutral ground:-

(1) A levy of 5% of the monies received from all admission charges to the
match shall be paid to the Association within three days of the date on
which the match is played.

(2) After payment of the levy foresaid, the club on whose ground the match is
played shall be paid a rental of 20% of the balance of the monies received
from all admission charges to the match.

(3) When the balance is sufficient, each competing club shall be entitled to
reimbursement of expenditure on travel, in terms of Rule 45.

(4) When the balance is insufficient, the sum available shall be divided between
them, in proportion to their expenditure on travel.

(5) Any surplus remaining after payment of travel expenses, shall be divided,
equally, between them.

The competing clubs shall be responsible, jointly, for payment of the match
expenses

Paragraph 45 (d)

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SFAPublications/SFAHandbook/12%20CupCompRules.pdf

In not disagreeing with your post/the rules, all I was saying in the title is it was a nice wee earner for them

Smartie
23-11-2014, 10:07 AM
In not disagreeing with your post/the rules, all I was saying in the title is it was a nice wee earner for them

It is a nice wee earner.

It does give a bit of insight into why RP (who will have known all about these percentages from his work with the SFA) would have chosen to build ER to be an alternative semi-final/ final/ 2nd rate International match host venue when in truth we'll be rattling about in it roughly half-full 95% of the time.

Hibbyradge
23-11-2014, 10:26 AM

And you were right. :aok:

I was criticising the Record's article. If I knew the rules, and then can produce them online in seconds, surely a journalist should have the same, if not better, information.

However, facts, in this case, don't sell papers.

It also shows how easily led folk can be and how people want to believe the worst in certain circumstances. (With a nod to the psychology discussion "Human Nature" thread on the Holy Ground, I believe this is called the horns effect :wink: )

Hibbyradge
23-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Yeah but it's the SFA who make these rules

The SFA is the member clubs.

The member clubs made/agreed these rules.

the teams who reach the final should be getting a bigger percentage than they do.

What percentage do you think Hibs should receive for providing Easter Road for semi-finals?

NAE NOOKIE
23-11-2014, 10:41 AM
It is a nice wee earner.

It does give a bit of insight into why RP (who will have known all about these percentages from his work with the SFA) would have chosen to build ER to be an alternative semi-final/ final/ 2nd rate International match host venue when in truth we'll be rattling about in it roughly half-full 95% of the time.

In a financial sense Hibs did the right thing with Easter Road, but our man at the SFA doesn't seem to have the influence he maybe thought he did. As things stand we have hosted one minor friendly against Australia. That was then followed by the insulting decision to base the under 21 team at St Mirren park, instead of spreading its games around Scotland.

Hibbyradge
23-11-2014, 10:45 AM
In a financial sense Hibs did the right thing with Easter Road, but our man at the SFA doesn't seem to have the influence he maybe thought he did. As things stand we have hosted one minor friendly against Australia. That was then followed by the insulting decision to base the under 21 team at St Mirren park, instead of spreading its games around Scotland.

We've also had semi-finals.

NAE NOOKIE
23-11-2014, 10:48 AM

I know .... but all in the League cup ... not run by the SFA.

Hibbyradge
23-11-2014, 10:52 AM
I know .... but all in the League cup ... not run by the SFA.

:aok:

matty_f
23-11-2014, 10:52 AM

And a cup final.

Billy Whizz
23-11-2014, 10:53 AM

I was hoping we might have got the Aberdeen v Dundee Utd league semi final, but both clubs are making noises about taking it to Hampden

Smartie
23-11-2014, 10:57 AM

I get a bit mixed up with who runs what. Is the "SPFL" not an amalgamation of them all now?

There have been a good few games played at ER as a neutral venue in recent years. The semis mentioned, we also held the Ramsdens Cup final. These have largely been sell-outs whereas the U21 Internationals would have low crowds and generated less income.

Going by the Celtic Scottish Cup final figures these will have brought in a fair few quid and will hopefully continue to do so in future.

ancient hibee
23-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Just goes to show that Peter Lawell is the man in charge at the SFA.

If they had done a better job of rebuilding Hampden (without running track and a decent size), this situation would never have occurred.

Wonder where the Games would have gone?

Hampden is of course owned by a Queens Park company and not the SFA.