PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in Roy Keane Book

Frogga
22-11-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm reading Roy Keane's new book (which has been a good read so far). In it he talks about his time at Celtic and he talks about the one game he played at Easter Road:

"We played Hibernian a few weeks later, away at Easter Road, and I remember feeling a bit caught out. I'd done my homework on Rangers but I didn't know much about Hibs. I remember thinking, '**** it, this is hard.' They had a couple of lads in the middle of the park. Kevin Thomson was one of them; he went on to Rangers and Middlesbrough. They were both excellent. We won, but it was a bit of a shock. I thought I should have been dominating these two, or any Hibs players. But my mind was lying, they had very good players."

I think the other player in CM that day was Michael Stewart (Scott Brown didn't play).

It was nice to read anyway, love him or hate him.

theonlywayisup
22-11-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm reading Roy Keane's new book (which has been a good read so far). In it he talks about his time at Celtic and he talks about the one game he played at Easter Road:

I think the other player in CM that day was Michael Stewart (Scott Brown didn't play).

It was nice to read anyway, love him or hate him.

:agree: That game told you everything about Michael Stewart. He was fantastic that day. He was everywhere, right in Keane's face. It was as if he was saying "I'll prove to you that I am a good player".

It was a pity he didn't show that sort of workrate in every game he played for Hibs, good player though he was.

LioNeilMessi
22-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Was that the game where Deek scored a free kick to put us 1-0 up then losing 1-2? I think I was there and nearly got frost bite it was so cold. Hibs were good that day and Celtic were lucky so it probably was that game he's talking about.

Frogga
22-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Was that the game where Deek scored a free kick to put us 1-0 up then losing 1-2? I think I was there and nearly got frost bite it was so cold. Hibs were good that day and Celtic were lucky so it probably was that game he's talking about.

Yeah, just found it on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqcE-Huk5Kc

Smartie
22-11-2014, 01:48 PM
:agree: That game told you everything about Michael Stewart. He was fantastic that day. He was everywhere, right in Keane's face. It was as if he was saying "I'll prove to you that I am a good player".

It was a pity he didn't show that sort of workrate in every game he played for Hibs, good player though he was.

I can't say I ever had problems with Michael Stewart's workrate at Hibs.

Because he's a jambo and is fairly opinionated he's a guy that I want to dislike. But he was a good player for us, gave his all (in spite of his allegiances) and I think he's fair and balanced even when criticising us on tv/ radio.

Lago
22-11-2014, 02:09 PM

Because he's a jambo and is fairly opinionated he's a guy that I want to dislike. But he was a good player for us, gave his all (in spite of his allegiances) and I think he's fair and balanced even when criticising us on tv/ radio.
I like Stewart always thought he put in a good shift for hibs, now think like you he is a good pundit.

theonlywayisup
22-11-2014, 06:37 PM

I'm not saying his workrate at Hibs was poor. You are missing my point, though it may have been well disguised :greengrin.

My point is, that day his workrate was exceptional. If he played like that in every game, he would have been a regular at an EPL team. However, he didn't and that was why he ended up playing for Hibs and Hearts.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2014, 06:51 PM
I would have thought that Keane would have known about Stewart as well, considering that he started his career at Manchester Utd.

PapillonVert
22-11-2014, 06:54 PM
"They had very good players".

Oh aye, so we did! I'd almost forgotten.

Possibly creeping back towards that? Dare I hope?

Bay Area Hibees
22-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks for post and yt link.
Thought Stewart excellent player, shows you strength we had that he didn't need even play in CIS cup final.
Had talent to have more significant career than he did.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-11-2014, 08:09 PM
I was at that game. I remember it was snowing before the game and I was unwell. Was just a wee lad aswell I think. Got a great view of Deeks goal, I was in the FF upper in the leather seats. :greengrin

Good times.

overdrive
22-11-2014, 08:18 PM
I would have thought that Keane would have known about Stewart as well, considering that he started his career at Manchester Utd.

He definitely would know him. Stewart was his direct replacement for a short while when Keane was injured or suspended. He also had Stewart on trial at Sunderland.

I liked Stewart. He's also not really bad mouthed us.

iwasthere1972
22-11-2014, 08:26 PM
I was at that game. I remember it was snowing before the game and I was unwell. Was just a wee lad aswell I think. Got a great view of Deeks goal, I was in the FF upper in the leather seats. :greengrin

Good times.

Me and my daughter were in the leather seats as well. Only paid for plastic seats but took a chance. Had to wipe the snow off them beforehand. I remember Rod Petrie helped to clear the snow that day, what a man. :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Me and my daughter were in the leather seats as well. Only paid for plastic seats but took a chance. Had to wipe the snow off them beforehand. I remember Rod Petrie helped to clear the snow that day, what a man :greengrin.

About time be helped with something, lazy git! Don't think hes helped with mhch since then :greengrin

iwasthere1972
22-11-2014, 08:30 PM
About time be helped with something, lazy git! Don't think hes helped with mhch since then :greengrin

He didn't actually do much that day either. He just looked at the snow and it melted. :agree:

greenlex
22-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Did Jay Sheils not go right through him that day? Seem t remember a solid tackle that let him know he was in the game.

PatHead
22-11-2014, 10:27 PM

Always thought he was burnt out after an hour but was good for that time. Never seemed to pace himself.

Baader
23-11-2014, 02:29 AM
Did Jay Sheils not go right through him that day? Seem t remember a solid tackle that let him know he was in the game.

He did indeed. Early doors and knew what he was doing. Got the crowd going too. I liked Jay Shiels. Not the greatest of footballers but gave his all and you could tell that he'd grown up knowing that he'd have to compensate for his lack of height by being hard. Certainly worse than him was to follow but, like Keane says, we had a good side then.

Keane was just picking up a pension fund by the time he came to Celtic. Leave Man U and get a bit of hero worship for a club that go daft about Irishmen while keeping a fair wage going a bit longer. More fool Celtic as he probably wasn't required, was clearly going through the motions after his shock at being emptied by Sir Alex and cost Celtic a good bit too. Roy's no mug - he used to negotiate all his own dealings and knew what he was doing moving to Parkhead - switch to the 70% mode...

ShanksSaidNo
23-11-2014, 02:37 AM
Yeah, just found it on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqcE-Huk5Kc

The commentary was more entertaining than the match itself.

Thought it was a harsh "PK".

Smartie
23-11-2014, 11:12 AM

My main memory of Jay Shields was him going right through Paul Hartley and setting up a goal for us in the process. It was time when Hartley was playing pretty well in derbies too so it was significant that he thumped their talisman.

I liked him, he didn't really ever set a foot wrong for us, then seemed to just disappear.

sbell1875
23-11-2014, 11:59 AM
The first penalty that day was a complete disgrace. Never ever ever ever a penalty.

8 years on I'm still raging.

Diclonius
23-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Didn't have a season ticket then, wouldn't have made it anyway cause that day the country had an extraordinary amount of snow.

Spent the day with my pals being amazed there was actually snow in Carnoustie.

The Green Goblin
23-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Remember the game well and remember that Keane looked lost. You could see it on his face.

NAE NOOKIE
23-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Remember the game well and remember that Keane looked lost. You could see it on his face.

I agree ... in fact he didn't seem up for it. Perhaps like a lot of big names who used to come here he looked at the OF walking the league every year and thought that made the actual matches easy to play in.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2014, 04:26 PM
He definitely would know him. Stewart was his direct replacement for a short while when Keane was injured or suspended. He also had Stewart on trial at Sunderland.

Excellent player and human being.

Winston Ingram
23-11-2014, 07:01 PM

So did aye.

On top of that, he was the only person in the media who actually vocalised Butcher's failings while all the others were licking his arse.

Was a really good follow on Twitter as well until the referendum. Now all he talks about is politics is and is boring as ****

Fergus52
23-11-2014, 08:57 PM

Yeah I remember that, was brilliant