PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brown another ex hibs player to waste his career

macd123
21-11-2014, 03:28 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30138564

We all know about riordan and GOC but this is equally depressing. Broony should be at the peak of his career but has decided to stay in his comfort zone playing for an ugly sister against kilmarnock, ross county and hamilton. The guy has no ambition at all. We will never know how good he could have been and neither will he.

H18Y GW
21-11-2014, 03:37 AM

We all know about riordan and GOC but this is equally depressing. Broony should be at the peak of his career but has decided to stay in his comfort zone playing for an ugly sister against kilmarnock, ross county and hamilton. The guy has no ambition at all. We will never know how good he could have been and neither will he.

Scott has two young kids and a mrs who is very very close to her family , he plays in the CL every year , captains Scotland and earns a handsome reward for doing so ,why move ???? am I missing something... Ludicrous post .

macd123
21-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Scott has two young kids and a mrs who is very very close to her family , he plays in the CL every year , captains Scotland and earns a handsome reward for doing so ,why move ???? am I missing something... Ludicrous post .

He has maybe 3 or 4 years of his career left. He can then spend the next 50 years of his life next door to his family. He could be playing at anfield, old trafford and stamford bridge every week and still be an hour away from here. He could go and establish himself as a world class player but he doesn't want to.

Realistically how much more can he achieve in footballing terms at celtic? Not much. They might get 5 or 6 competitive games this season in the Europa league this year i guess.

I think he is a brilliant player, probably our best home grown since JC. But JC went to monaco. Guys like lambert to dortmund. Even naismith and wanyama will be more respected on the world stage than broony and they are half the player he is. It's a shame and a real waste.

Forza Fred
21-11-2014, 05:41 AM
[QUiOTE=H18Y GW;4230128]Scott has two young kids and a mrs who is very very close to her family , he plays in the CL every year , captains Scotland and earns a handsome reward for doing so ,why move ???? am I missing something... Ludicrous post .[/QUOTE]

I agree.

The secret of happiness is being content with what you have.

Not something somebody else thinks you should have.

Wakeyhibee
21-11-2014, 05:59 AM

Or he could be bench warming at a mid table EPL side.... without CL football. He's probably done the most sensible thing out of all of that generation.

macd123
21-11-2014, 06:07 AM
[QUiOTE=H18Y GW;4230128]Scott has two young kids and a mrs who is very very close to her family , he plays in the CL every year , captains Scotland and earns a handsome reward for doing so ,why move ???? am I missing something... Ludicrous post .

I agree.

The secret of happiness is being content with what you have.

Not something somebody else thinks you should have.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that fred. He must be happy with the lifestyle he has. But in football terms it's a waste of talent.

macd123
21-11-2014, 06:11 AM
Or he could be bench warming at a mid table EPL side.... without CL football. He's probably done the most sensible thing out of all of that generation.

I think he is better than that but we will never know!

easty
21-11-2014, 07:31 AM
He has maybe 3 or 4 years of his career left. He can then spend the next 50 years of his life next door to his family. He could be playing at anfield, old trafford and stamford bridge every week and still be an hour away from here. He could go and establish himself as a world class player but he doesn't want to.

Realistically how much more can he achieve in footballing terms at celtic? Not much. They might get 5 or 6 competitive games this season in the Europa league this year i guess.

I think he is a brilliant player, probably our best home grown since JC. But JC went to monaco. Guys like lambert to dortmund. Even naismith and wanyama will be more respected on the world stage than broony and they are half the player he is. It's a shame and a real waste.

Collins went from Hibs to Celtc, then Monaco signed him. Have Monao made an offer for Brown? Has anyone? Maybe he should stop wasting his career, get in his car and go drive down to one of the big sides car parks and sit around waiting for an offer? It worked for Peter Odemwinge.

KeithTheHibby
21-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Probably too settled whatwith family life etc. to move at this this stage of his career. I'm nor convinced he would cut it in the EPL. Looks like it will be summer of 2018 before he returns to gods country then!

ArmadaleHibs
21-11-2014, 07:38 AM
He's also been quoted saying he would love nothing more than finishing his playing career at hibs. He committed to hibs first time round so we got a large fee and has enjoyed his career at celtic and played against some fantastic teams in the champions league. He's celtics captain and also has the honour of captaining his national team. I'm extremely proud of the fact that broony came from hibs. To say he's lacked ambition is ludicrous. He's obviously a happy family guy who wants to stay were his family are happy.

Sorry mate but I don't agree with the OP.

3pm
21-11-2014, 07:49 AM
He'll come to Hibs if Celtic don't want him. Be clear, we are a distant 2nd choice.

If Celtic offer him a contract til he's 40 he'll sign it before coming back to Hibs.

Hibbyradge
21-11-2014, 07:50 AM
I agree with you on that fred. He must be happy with the lifestyle he has. But in football terms it's a waste of talent.

When I grow up I think I'll waste my career by becoming captain of Celtic and Scotland.

In the process, I'll compound the waste by playing in the Champions League every year and earning several millions for doing so.

I'll end up wishing I'd signed for Crystal Palace or Everton like Steven Naismith.

Peevemor
21-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Did Pat Stanton waste his career?

Did Davie Cooper or Alex McLeish?

hibeemikey21
21-11-2014, 08:13 AM

Did you just infer that Scott Brown had/has what it takes to be world class??!???!

Pretty Boy
21-11-2014, 08:36 AM
I don't think Brown has wasted his career but I do think he could have played at a higher level had he wanted to.

Yes, he's played Champions League football but on a week to week basis he's not testing himself anymore than what he was at Hibs (arguably less so given the continued decline in domestic football in Scotland).

Had he went to Reading (a Premier League team at the time) rather than Celtic when the choice was there is it beyond the realms of possibility he could have secured a move to a top 6 EPL team?

TheHarpy76
21-11-2014, 08:47 AM
For wasted careers look at the chumps who chased pound signs to Scotland's lower leagues with Rangers.

I fail to see how being captain of Celtic and Scotland can be seen as wasting his career.
Better than knocking around England's mid table or battling relegation every season.

Scouse Hibee
21-11-2014, 08:49 AM

What a load of drivel, the man has forged a succesful career in the game, provided for his family and is playing at the biggest club in his own country.Who are you to question his ambition or anything else for that matter.

allezsauzee
21-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Broonie cetainly hasn't wasted his career. You could argue that he might have become a better player if he had moved to England but then maybe it wouldn't have worked out for him and everyone would have been saying that he should have stayed at Celtic. He's taken a safer (and probably more sensible)option but if he's happy with his lot then good luck to him. Hibs , Celtic & Scotland have all benefited a great deal from his effort and ability. Any comparison to the likes of Deek and G O'C are well off the mark.

lord bunberry
21-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Of all the players who came through at that time I thought broony was the best. I wish he had went down south and really tested himself against the best players, when he went to Celtic he went from being a box to box midfielder who had everything, to being a midfield hardman.
He certainly hasn't wasted his career, but he hasn't fulfilled the potential that he had. Imo he could have been one of the greats, the fact that he isn't is down to Neil Lennon.

Mon Dieu4
21-11-2014, 09:09 AM
I don't think Brown has wasted his career but I do think he could have played at a higher level had he wanted to.

Yes, he's played Champions League football but on a week to week basis he's not testing himself anymore than what he was at Hibs (arguably less so given the continued decline in domestic football in Scotland).

Had he went to Reading (a Premier League team at the time) rather than Celtic when the choice was there is it beyond the realms of possibility he could have secured a move to a top 6 EPL team?

I think you are spot on, I don't grudge the guy the cash or the familiarity that staying here brings, but his career/progression has stagnated, I honestly believe progression wise that Reading would have been a great stepping stone for him, he would have been there a couple of years before a bigger club came in for him

I don't get the whole Brown love in thing that still goes on but have watched his career with some interest and ever since his petulant streak/gallousness has drummed out of him at Celtc he hasn't been the same player for me, that's what made him different, you wouldn't see him doing something like blowing a kiss at someone ala Hartley these days, he doesn't score nearly as many goals as he should, his passing isn't particularly great, but he was a total buzz bomb, in about everyone, being a nippy bassa and winding everyone up, he still does it to a certain extent but not in the way that gave him an edge

Good luck to the guy, he's secured his families future and stayed here, but makes you wonder what could have been if he had really tested himself week in and out

bob12345
21-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Personally the waste I think has been his move to defensive midfield. He was much better in a more attacking role.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Personally the waste I think has been his move to defensive midfield. He was much better in a more attacking role.

:agree: I also think he should have gone to England and seen just how much better he could have become, but who am i to tell him he's wasted his career when he's done as well as he has and played football for the team we all wished we could have played for?

The_Exile
21-11-2014, 09:31 AM
I thought the same until recently. When he left us I think he could've slotted into a top half Premiership team with no bother at all. I think it was a thread on here not so long ago actually that said he wanted to stay close to home as his sister was very ill at the time, which is fair play and totally understandable. It would seem Celtic bent over backwards for Scott round about that time and were incredibly supportive so there will be a massive loyalty from both ends on this one. I think he's the best defensive mid this country has produced in decades, kudos to Hibs and Celtic for developing a great player.

heretoday
21-11-2014, 10:07 AM
When I grow up I think I'll waste my career by becoming captain of Celtic and Scotland.

In the process, I'll compound the waste by playing in the Champions League every year and earning several millions for doing so.

I'll end up wishing I'd signed for Crystal Palace or Everton like Steven Naismith.

Well put although I don't get the reference to Naismith at Everton. He's playing in an altogether higher stratum of football while, to Brown, it must be like shelling peas every week.

Everton would take Celtic to the cleaners.

Speedy
21-11-2014, 10:13 AM

He might have but might not. No reason why he couldn't have gone from Celtic to a top 6 team in England (Naismith managed it from Rangers).

Equally he could've gone to Reading, got injured and found himself stuck in the Championship for a couple of years.

I do agree with you that he could've played at a higher level but nobody can say what would or wouldn't have happened if he went to, say, Reading.

jacomo
21-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Maybe he could have got himself a gig at a top EPL team, but I think he had good reasons not to move South when he left Hibs, and now at 29 he is seemingly settled with a family of his own and doesn't want to move elsewhere. He's had a great career by any normal standards and has now earned himself a (presumably) lucrative extension.

What a silly thread.

P.S. If he feels like wasting the last years of his career at Hibs that would be fine by me!

CRAZYHIBBY
21-11-2014, 10:24 AM
What a stupid thread. ... How can playing for the Scottish champions, earning tens of thousands per week and winning trophies every season be a waste of a career

Keith_M
21-11-2014, 10:24 AM

Comparing what Scott Brown has achieved to the two wasters, Riordan and O'Connor, must rank as one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on this site.

Scott Brown may not have reached the level that you think possible for him but he's the Captain of Scotland, plays for the Scottish Champions, has a bag full of medals, regularly plays in European Competition and has ****loads of money as a result.

There is absolutely NO comparison to some potless (hopefully ex) junkie living in a Council House in Dunbar that plays for an amatuer team at the peak age of his career.

TowerHibs
21-11-2014, 11:21 AM
I think his career has progressed. it is very difficult to play in a constantly winning team and keep your levels high enough to stay in the team.

I would also show you a Celtic team without Brown to show how improtant a part he plays in it. His drive, power and quality is the driving force behond it.

Wasted career.....Jesus suffering. Proud he came from us, proud he is one of us. Far too easy to say he could have went down south and strilled into top 6 teams. This very very rarely happens. With the illness, and ultimately the shocking death, of his sister (who he was close to) no one has the right to say he done anything wrong with staying up here.

I actually think he has done more than all Scottish players to leave a club like Hibs and go down south. Fletcher has been in relegation battles, McArthur likewise, few Rangers boys are nowhere to be seen. Celtic and Scotland captain, Champions League (playing Barca, Man U, AC Milan is surely pitting yourself against top opposition)....wasted career....games a bogey

Pretty Boy
21-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Maybe he could have got himself a gig at a top EPL team, but I think he had good reasons not to move South when he left Hibs, and now at 29 he is seemingly settled with a family of his own and doesn't want to move elsewhere. He's had a great career by any normal standards and has now earned himself a (presumably) lucrative extension.

What a silly thread.

P.S. If he feels like wasting the last years of his career at Hibs that would be fine by me!

I don't disagree.

At the end of the day it's his choice how he manages his career and he's had a good one.

Personally I just would have liked to have seen how good he really was and he would have shown that had he went to England.

On a wider point it seems a very British thing for players to be so uncomfortable about leaving home and trying football in another country and a different culture. Hopefully that's sonething that will change and we will see more Scottish and English players test themselves away from home.

Thecat23
21-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Very strange thread!! Scott Brown has achieved so many things as a player at Celtic. If he went south there's no guarantee he'd play each week as he's not world class. Never good enough for any of the top 5 in England. He's on a very good wage that will take care of his family and he's also captain. Played in the CL almost each season captained Scotland as well.

What more can you really want for a Scottish player. For me he's playing well at a club where he is loved. You don't seem to understand this!:confused:

PeterboroHibee
21-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Quite a strange thread. Brown is captain of club and country, winning things, playing in Europe, is likely on a very good wage, and ultimately, must be happy where he is to have signed a 4 year deal. Hes not someone I think will look back on his career with regrets.

However, seeing as the Premiership is being used as the yard stick for where he could/should have ended up, in my opinion he probably isnt good enough to have gone to one of the bigger clubs. That leaves the mid-table/relegation teams, but is that really an attractive move? Beyond playing against better players, and potentially more money down South, Id say Celtic probably has more to offer Brown.

Gus
21-11-2014, 12:42 PM
I think Scott Brown has achieved a great deal. He is very close to his family, especially after the sad passing of his sister.

He is a big fish in a small bond up here & I think that suits him on and off the park. Seems like a mature lad off the park & he is not just representing the biggest club in the country & his country but is captain.

He will look back on his career with maybe the odd what if, but never any regrets.

Stevie Reid
21-11-2014, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Brown perhaps feels he owes Celtic something. They paid an awful lot of money for him and paid him a huge amount in wages - and as well as having a lot of injury problems, it took him a long, long time to be anything like the player that we knew he could be (and even then, he's never been as good as I thought he would be). I still think we got the better end of the wedge in that transfer deal tbh.

Who knows what would have happened had he gone down South? Yes, I think he had the potential to play at the upper end of the EPL, but had he gone down there and had the same injury problems then he may have ended up spending his career in the Championship, instead of winning medals and playing in the Champions League up here.

Either way, he's obviously happy where he is, so good luck to him.

TheFamous1875
21-11-2014, 12:51 PM
When I look back on the potential that he had when he left Hibs and I see how well Naismith, Fletcher, McCarthy, McGeady have all done, I do think that he could've grown into being a very, very good midfielder in that league.

I wouldn't say he has 'wasted' his career, but I definitely wouldn't say he has lived up to his potential as a footballer.

bigwheel
21-11-2014, 01:36 PM
people can reflect on what he may have done and he moved down south....would he have actually been a better player?? I can't agree with any view that Scott Brown has wasted himself. He has turned in to a top notch midfielder. He holds his own in every game he plays, for Celtic in the Champs League and for Scotland against the very best....I for one, admire that he has chosen to stick at Celtic...look forward to getting him back after this extension ends....

sadtom
21-11-2014, 01:46 PM
I would have liked to have seen what Broony could have achieved down south but to suggest he's wasted his career is garbage.

He is the player i miss most in a Hibs shirt out of the 'golden generation' by a country mile.
Yes he 'owes' Hibs in as much as we gave him his chance to be a professional. But by god HE took it when many others didn't.
He is playing on a european stage with celtc and world stage with Scotland. Captaining both. That is quite an achievement and something Hibs should be proud of given the part we played in establishing him.

I think he will always be grateful to Hibs, he always seems very respectful of the club and would appear to still view the club fondly. Not only that but he earned us our record ever transfer fee.
I hope that he is correct when he says that he will one day be back. I'd love to see him captaining us.

I also think he is rightly respectful of what celtic have done for him. He is now a very wealthy young man and it was celtc's decision to make him so.
Like it or not he is playing to a much larger crowd and his profile has risen appropriately, enough so that he is his country's captain.

Celtc also helped him over some of the darkest times in his personal life with the tragic passing of his sister. I'm certain that would not have missed is notice.

I was also told a few year ago by a prominent celtc fan/journo that had the last chance operation not been successful then he would have had to hang up his boots. Again, it wont have escaped Broony that celtc stuck with him through that physical battle, when his form had not been great and when many of their support didnt think he was up to much.

I also think that celtc, Scotland (and hopefully Hibs too if he does one day return), owe Strachan and Lennon a wee debt of gratitude.
Perhaps it was down to his injury period but i actually think it was a deliberate call by GS.
The dynamic box to box Broony who we loved to watch as a kid at ER would not have lasted so long in the game especially with the condition/injury he sustained.
There is no doubt GS and NL taught him a how to be a holding midfielder, turned him into a more mature player in a very disciplined role. It gave him a new string to his bow.
This has no doubt extended his career (which may work well in our favour in a few years), a career from which i'm sure he'd be more than happy to 'show us his medals'.

He may indeed have a debt of gratitude to Hibs but to suggest that he doesn't also have one to celtc would be stupid.
For me he's done everything pretty much with the correct attitude. To his old club/fans and to his current club/fans he is respectful and thankful for what he has.

More power to yer elbow broony.
Haste ye back.

Bad Martini
21-11-2014, 01:57 PM
To be fair and balanced...

1) One cannot "waste" a career if playing regularly for the team in Scotland who have most recently won the most, albeit with the most resources and thus this is expected and even though we STILL are owed those players/strips back :wink:

2) Equally, one cannot be classed as a footballing waster if you captain your country. No greater honour for most professional fitba players.

3) So, Brown didn't "waste" his career.

AND to balance that...

1) He plays for celtc. Therefore, I dont really give a toss what he does now.

2) He (in MY opinion) couldn't have peaked at the very top down south and thats probably why he didnt try it. I think he's good. I just dont think he is THAT good. Again tho, dont really give a toss.

3) He wouldn't have walked into a top 5 EPL side. He was never gonna outgrow celtc and do a Dalglish. Just wasn't gonna happen. The King is the King and long live the King :greengrin:thumbsup:

So, once again...its never as polarised as some of the magical mushrooms growing on the sidewalks of Edinburgh would have ye believe.

Either that, or I am completely and utterly and totally stone radge, off the planet and totally wrong (never happened so far though :na na::greengrin)

Meantime at ER, we've no got Scott Brown.......

southsider
21-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Scott's a nice lad but an average player who is most likely playing at the top level for his ability. He plays short passes, puts in a tackle now and then but don't ask him to beat a man. He does not have that in his locker. He has made a few quid, good on him and we received over £4 million for him Now, Pat, there was a real player. Pat only got 16 caps and to compare him and Broony is like a Rolls Royce against a Hillman Imp.

lord bunberry
21-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Scott's a nice lad but an average player who is most likely playing at the top level for his ability. He plays short passes, puts in a tackle now and then but don't ask him to beat a man. He does not have that in his locker. He has made a few quid, good on him and we received over £4 million for him Now, Pat, there was a real player. Pat only got 16 caps and to compare him and Broony is like a Rolls Royce against a Hillman Imp.
The player you describe isn't the player that left Hibs. With the right training he could have been a top player down south.

oregonhibby
21-11-2014, 03:20 PM
It is his career!

Celtic stood by him in a difficult personal time and it says a lot about him that he is staying.

As well as a great footballer he provided one of the best comic moments in any interview I have seen in a long time - "what meeting?"

jacomo
21-11-2014, 03:44 PM
It is his career!

Celtic stood by him in a difficult personal time and it says a lot about him that he is staying.

As well as a great footballer he provided one of the best comic moments in any interview I have seen in a long time - "what meeting?"

Dunno.

macd123
21-11-2014, 03:59 PM
I think broony is a fantastic player. I didn't know about his sister so apologies for that. I deserved to be slapped down for that. That explains some things and was pretty insensitive of me, sorry. Maybe waste is a strong term but in purely football terms i don't see him achieving what he should have, that's all. I don't think winning the title for celtic this year is much of an achievement at all, as neil lennon has also said. I think he is easily good enough to be a top player down south or elsewhere. But we will never know.

I guess it's frustration that that generation hasnt done more. Deek rotted at celtic and leigh could do the same if hes not careful. Broony is a level above those guys but unfortunately he will never get the recognition he deserves. When there was a rumour about him going to everton, the everton fans were up in arms saying not good enough for them. That seems to be the standing he has in the game outside the spl. It's a shame but good luck to him.

ancient hibee
21-11-2014, 04:17 PM
If Brown was a "really top player"they'd be queuing up to buy him-they're not-Crystal Palace for £5M is the only sniff.He's a good player doing well,enjoying his football,well paid-good luck to him.

Cameron1875
21-11-2014, 04:19 PM
What's the point in joining a team in relegation scrap that is lucky to win 10 games a season?

Yeah he might get to play at some good stadiums but he'll be chasing shadows in a team that is likely to get pumped.

Wonder how Hooper is enjoying being Norwich 4th choice striker in the championship :wink:

bigwheel
21-11-2014, 04:20 PM

...an average player??? 50+ Scottish Caps...and top performances in the champions league....Roy Kean, Peter Reid, Makelele....none of those could "beat a man" , all top players...and does every player get compared to Pat Stanton.. a rolls royce of a player....There is no way Scott Brown is average .

Booked4Being-Ugly
21-11-2014, 05:10 PM
...an average player??? 50+ Scottish Caps...and top performances in the champions league....Roy Kean, Peter Reid, Makelele....none of those could "beat a man" , all top players...and does every player get compared to Pat Stanton.. a rolls royce of a player....There is no way Scott Brown is average .He looked out his depth never mind avarage against England. Probably best he stays in the comfort zone of the SPL.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2014, 05:17 PM
He looked out his depth never mind avarage against England. Probably best he stays in the comfort zone of the SPL.

He was every bit as good as his opponents at wembley when we lost 3-2, the whole team were under par on Tuesday.

Jonnyboy
21-11-2014, 07:31 PM
He looked out his depth never mind avarage against England. Probably best he stays in the comfort zone of the SPL.

They all did.

WellingtonHibby
21-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Of all the players who came through at that time I thought broony was the best. I wish he had went down south and really tested himself against the best players, when he went to Celtic he went from being a box to box midfielder who had everything, to being a midfield hardman.
He certainly hasn't wasted his career, but he hasn't fulfilled the potential that he had. Imo he could have been one of the greats, the fact that he isn't is down to Neil Lennon.

Word for word my opinion on the matter

CockneyRebel
21-11-2014, 07:59 PM

The Eagles wouldn't sign you sunshine (or Naismith come to that). They do have standards.

Smartie
21-11-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm no fan of Celtic whatsoever.

The one thing that I really envy them for is their European nights though. My favourite nights with Hibs have been our big, home European games. In the grand scheme of things they have been small occasions, just the early rounds of the UEFA Cup. But ER has been magic for these games (Anderlecht, AEK, Dnipro).

He's won countless trophies, made a fortune and played for his country many times. But more than anything I think that the pinnacle of club football is playing in the Champions League. He gets to lead his team out to take on the best teams in Europe at Parkhead and I can only imagine that that must be amazing (the away legs must be great too.)

Who knows what he might have become had he made a different move, but it's the kind of thing we all have to ponder about our lives at times. Sure it's easier for us to see players like Fletch and Murph go south and never adorn the strips of rival Scottish clubs. But I really find it sad for Scottish football that we could consider playing for Swansea/ Burnley/ Wigan etc a step up from playing for Celtic in the Champions league.

If my career ends up being anything like as much of a waste as Broony's has then I'll be quite happy.

HibbyRod
21-11-2014, 09:09 PM
I'm no fan of Celtic whatsoever.

The one thing that I really envy them for is their European nights though. My favourite nights with Hibs have been our big, home European games. In the grand scheme of things they have been small occasions, just the early rounds of the UEFA Cup. But ER has been magic for these games (Anderlecht, AEK, Dnipro).

He's won countless trophies, made a fortune and played for his country many times. But more than anything I think that the pinnacle of club football is playing in the Champions League. He gets to lead his team out to take on the best teams in Europe at Parkhead and I can only imagine that that must be amazing (the away legs must be great too.)

Who knows what he might have become had he made a different move, but it's the kind of thing we all have to ponder about our lives at times. Sure it's easier for us to see players like Fletch and Murph go south and never adorn the strips of rival Scottish clubs. But I really find it sad for Scottish football that we could consider playing for Swansea/ Burnley/ Wigan etc a step up from playing for Celtic in the Champions league.

If my career ends up being anything like as much of a waste as Broony's has then I'll be quite happy.

Nice post mate!

Good perspective. :greengrin

HappyHibby93
22-11-2014, 02:35 AM
Crazy post. The guy is the Celtic captain, Scotland captain, plays in the CL every year and earns £25,000 a week (probably about that). The only person to do better than Scott Brown is Flectcher

macd123
22-11-2014, 05:09 AM
Crazy post. The guy is the Celtic captain, Scotland captain, plays in the CL every year and earns £25,000 a week (probably about that). The only person to do better than Scott Brown is Flectcher

For the last 20 years at least, celtics best players have moved on to better things after a few years. JC, viduka, di canio, larsson, petrov, ki, wanyama, mcgeady, forster etc. It would have been good to see Broony do the same. He has achieved everything he can at celtic.

He probably has his reasons so good luck to him. I hope he gets a move somewhere but wish him the best whatever happens.

cad
22-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Many clubs had there tongues hanging out when Scott was at Hibs Reading , Spurs,
West Ham,it goes without saying both Glasgow clubs would be interested Celtic being his choice.

It has to be said hes had a successful time of it so far in football .not to many injuries captain of both club and country, CL football every season hes done well .

He was a very exciting player in the position he played for Hibs his lack of goals is maybe why his position was changed when he moved to Celtic ,the spark he had sort of died when this happened IMO .,from what I watched when Scott was in a Hibs strip 10 years ago to now theres was an even better footballer in there its just that Celtic have never found it TBH some of his performancies in these CL games when he comes up against real top quality you see what he lacks ,hes made his choice an good luck to him
you still wonder tho .

Jim44
22-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Brown's done very well for himself, and is now a major member of the Celtic family. Any notions here that he will make a nostalgic return to ER in a few years time, are way off the mark. Brown say's himself that Celtic is now the only thing he knows in football. His new contract apparently involves some coaching element and I wouldn't expect to see him stray far from Parkhead in the future, short or long term.

Hibs90
22-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Wasted talent sadly. Neil Lennon has moulded Scott Brown into Neil Lennon.

neil7908
22-11-2014, 10:36 AM
At one point when he was a bit younger I thought Brown might go on to be a truly great player capable of being a 1st team pick at a top EPL club but I think realistically the best he would get now is a mid table team. We're crystal palace not the last team to be linked with him. If it's them or Celtic, and given he is captain and settled up here, I can understand his thinking. If Man United, Chelsea or even say Spurs were in for him then I would probably feel similar. But a bad move now and you could end up playing in the championship in a year or 2. You could argue that Brown should be applauded for not chasing the overinflated wages down south at the expense of his family

The_Exile
22-11-2014, 10:39 AM
If Brown was a "really top player"they'd be queuing up to buy him-they're not-Crystal Palace for £5M is the only sniff.He's a good player doing well,enjoying his football,well paid-good luck to him.

Think Spurs put an £8mil bid in for him a few years ago but were promptly told he was not for sale.

Matty_Jack04
22-11-2014, 10:58 AM
For the last 20 years at least, celtics best players have moved on to better things after a few years. JC, viduka, di canio, larsson, petrov, ki, wanyama, mcgeady, forster etc. It would have been good to see Broony do the same. He has achieved everything he can at celtic.

He probably has his reasons so good luck to him. I hope he gets a move somewhere but wish him the best whatever happens.

Hes a family man, doesn't want to move from his family and freinds, it was the reason he choose to join celtic and apart from being happy there is the main reason he wants to stay, can't fault him on that really he's playing well he's club and country captain chance of CL footy every year and a good wage as well

im just surprised he's signed a four year deal that'll take him to 33......be a bit old to come back to us by then! :cb

shetlandhibee
22-11-2014, 11:31 AM
This what I was thinking

Gus
22-11-2014, 12:17 PM
This what I was thinking

Compared to some of the threads on here I don't think it's that bad

Keith_M
22-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Strange that the OP should make comparisons to Riordan and O'Connor, while the Evening News today has an article on a game they played for Hibs 9 years ago against Der Hun.

If you really want to see what a wasted career is, read THIS (http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-history-riordan-and-o-connor-carve-up-gers-1-3612496) and then consider where the two of them will be today.

weonlywon6-2
22-11-2014, 01:28 PM
I m not convinced Brown would have made it down south with one of the big guns albeit i thought he might have tried.
He is a good player earning a good wage and playing for his country and champions league or european footie at least,must be content where he is so understand why he has stayed

God Petrie
22-11-2014, 01:44 PM
We wonder why Scottish football is pish then scream at a great Scottish player for staying in Scotland. We need more players like broonaldo in Scotland not less.

Iggy Pope
22-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Agree. Instead of earning fabulous money playing the game he loves and enjoying the family he loves, he should be sitting at home spouting garbage on social media. Absolute waster.

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2014, 01:49 PM
We wonder why Scottish football is pish then scream at a great Scottish player for staying in Scotland. We need more players like broonaldo in Scotland not less.

Good point. :top marks

jacomo
22-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Agree. Instead of earning fabulous money playing the game he loves and enjoying the family he loves, he should be sitting at home spouting garbage on social media. Absolute waster.

:agree:

It's got to the point where he's barely recognised on George St too. Needs to sort himself out.

Nando™
22-11-2014, 06:50 PM

What we need even more than that is quality players like Scott Brown at Scottish teams other than Celtic.

Phil MaGlass
22-11-2014, 07:30 PM
I love Brown, class player with bags of skill, and commitment I for one am glad he has signed for them and it can only be a plus for the Scottish game. If anyone thinks he is wasting his career need to think about a number of factors, not only because of family considerations,sellik have signed him long term for a load of cash, if a bid ever comes in for him its going to make sellik and broonie also loads of cash. He is Scotland and sellik captain IMHO he could walk into any team in the english premier, as for the folk saying he should go abroad? He would either have to wait for his contract to end or wait for a bid from abroad, none have happened, he has signed for security and can still leave if a decent bid does come in. Broonie is class.

22-11-2014, 08:39 PM
No doubt he will be quite content at his current club. They win trophies and the league title every year (albeit not that its too much of a challenge) and is earning a mint at the same time. But i do think if he had stayed on a wee bit longer with hibs (even just a season or two) he would have got quite a big move down south like Steven Fletcher did.

At this stage of his life though, he's getting older and is probably settled with a family so doubt he will leave Scotland. I still like Brown I must admit, he's got the right attitude, a no-nonsense midfielder thats not afraid to get stuck in and has so much passion and fight in him. He's the sort of player you'd love on your team and hate to play against.

Come back anytime Scott !

ShanksSaidNo
23-11-2014, 02:51 AM

Ridiculous post. Scott Brown has achieved/won more in his career than any other player that has left Hibs. He's gone on to become captain of celtic and Scotland. It's a pity your loathing for celtic is overriding your appreciation for an ex-Hibby done good.

Baader
23-11-2014, 05:18 AM
Ridiculous post. Scott Brown has achieved/won more in his career than any other player that has left Hibs. He's gone on to become captain of celtic and Scotland. It's a pity your loathing for celtic is overriding your appreciation for an ex-Hibby done good.

Won more than anyone that has left Hibs? Both Ronnie Simpson and Des Bremner left and won European Cups! Andy Goram left and won more titles than Broonie has hitherto (6 v 4.) Kenny Miller has won exactly the same honours in Scotland as Brown. Gordon bloody Durie has more domestic medals so not sure how that one works!!

For what it's worth always feel like Scott Brown could have been playing in a top flight side in England, Germany, Italy or Spain he was that good. Getting Champions League football most years while being a big fish in a small pond doesn't hold up to saying you made the absolute most of your ability by playing against the best opponent you can week on week. Steven Fletcher is a good example of someone really going for it and maximising their ability. I think Broonie had more potential than we will see realised. Good player for us though no question about that.

H18Y GW
23-11-2014, 09:24 AM

Major LOL

.Sean.
23-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Couldn't care less, he's captain of the ****miest side to 'grace' the planet and a complete and utter irrelevance to me.

Some folk on here need to get their tongues out his erse and stop pining for a day when a 40-year old 'Broony' might deem us worthy of playing for.

jacomo
24-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Couldn't care less, he's captain of the ****miest side to 'grace' the planet and a complete and utter irrelevance to me.

Some folk on here need to get their tongues out his erse and stop pining for a day when a 40-year old 'Broony' might deem us worthy of playing for.

Thanks for confirming your disinterest by posting a comment.

HibbyAndy
24-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks for confirming your disinterest by posting a comment.

:tee hee:

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-11-2014, 04:27 PM

I don't think he has wasted his career, but, it would've been interesting to see what happened if he moved to the EPL.

I do think Sean's point above is perfectly valid tho.

PeeJay
24-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Harsh to say he has "wasted his career", but it's plain to see that he hasn't made anywhere near the most of his talents. Picking up titles at Parkhead in the backwater that is Scottish football, shows a distinct lack of ambition on his part - if he's happy with it, fair enough. Scottish footballers used to head south and further afield and compete with the world's best - he choose to stay in Glasgow and make easy money. Maybe he knew that was the best he could hope for?

HibbyAndy
24-11-2014, 05:33 PM

You havin a laugh? Name 1 poster who is 'pining' for a 40 year old Broony to return?