PDA

View Full Version : over rated musicians

Onceinawhile
18-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Following on from the under rated thread, who do you just not get?

For me: dr dre, can't rap, doesn't write his lyrics, terrible delivery.

foo fighters: quiet, quiet, LOUD CHECK CHORUS, repeat for an album x 8

WeeRussell
19-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Biffy Clyro
Paulo Nutini

And the majority of pish that plays on radio stations.

Pretty Boy
19-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Green Day. Ok at a festival or a party or something. Voice of a generation? **** off.

Kings of Leon. Used to be good. Now? Not so much.

Muse. Not bad, quite good in fact but nowehere close to the global appeal they seem to have.

Metallica. The first 3 albums were great, really good. I'd maybe even let 'and justice for all' off. Since then it's been metal by numbers stuck on repeat for **** know how long.

easty
19-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Olly Murs, granted he's not that highly rated by anyone, but the fact that he's rated at all just confuses me. What's his appeal?

bobbyhibs1983
19-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Olly Murs, granted he's not that highly rated by anyone, but the fact that he's rated at all just confuses me. What's his appeal?

His appeal? mostly appeals to females i d hassad a guess:na na:

Mr White
19-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Razorlight. Thankfully quiet for a few years now but always found the vocals really grating, helped by the fact they were vibrating out of a total ****.

HibeeLR
19-11-2014, 02:45 PM
U2 & Coldplay

Pete
19-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Prince. Woeful.

Pretty Boy
19-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Prince. Woeful.

No no no no no. NO.

I generally like your posts but you are so wrong here.

lugz
19-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Lady Gaga and Katy Perry seen both live at T in the park and both were horrible. Have to disagree with the foo fighters, Paolo and Coldplay all unbelievable live.

Personal preference eh.

Hibrandenburg
19-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Bruce Springsteen really grips my ****.

patch1875
19-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Bruce Springsteen really grips my ****.

Don't think I've seen better live.

offshorehibby
19-11-2014, 06:42 PM

Ha ha, i wouldn't know an Olly Murs tune if it fell on my head but if i manage to get Mrs OS a ticket for next years tour i'll be the dugs bollocks.

I'm offshore and she dropped a subtle hint on Monday morning which i done my best to ignore but ma we keyboard will be working overtime on Friday morning.

The_Exile
19-11-2014, 08:57 PM
The Beatles. Don't get me wrong, a few fantastic songs, but most of it is pish IMO. It got to the point where they could've released an album of them farting into a microphone and it would've sold millions, I think they were a victim of their own popularity and their 'quality' nosedived because of it.

The_Exile
19-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Prince. Woeful.

The guy is a musical genius!

Sergey
19-11-2014, 09:03 PM
The Beatles. Don't get me wrong, a few fantastic songs, but most of it is pish IMO. It got to the point where they could've released an album of them farting into a microphone and it would've sold millions, I think they were a victim of their own popularity and their 'quality' nosedived because of it.

100% agreement from me. I can count their decent songs on the digits of one hand.

David Bowie is another that never hit the right chord in my songbook. I just don't get the vibe.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2014, 09:15 PM

Spot on. Never quite got how the British Music scene is indebted to them?
Rolling Stones however in terms of longevity and creativity stomp all over them IMHO.

Pete
19-11-2014, 09:51 PM
No no no no no. NO.

I generally like your posts but you are so wrong here.

Maybe woeful was a bit harsh as I actually like one or two of his songs but definitely over rated.

Genius is in the eye of the beholder and I'd rather listen to jive bunny if I'm honest. I find him less annoying too. :greengrin

Gus
19-11-2014, 10:48 PM
I never rated Amy Winehouse

The_Exile
19-11-2014, 10:55 PM
I never rated Amy Winehouse

Agreed, great voice (at times, ie when sober!) but rubbish songs.

If anyone says Elvis I'll blow a gasket :greengrin

Mikey09
19-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Biffy Clyro
Paulo Nutini

And the majority of pish that plays on radio stations.

Biffy Clyro??? Did you really mean to type that??! They my friend are ****ing awsome, both in the studio and live!! It's all about opinions I suppose....

Mikey09
19-11-2014, 10:59 PM

His films were good.... :greengrin

Geo_1875
20-11-2014, 09:03 AM
Spot on. Never quite got how the British Music scene is indebted to them?
Rolling Stones however in terms of longevity and creativity stomp all over them IMHO.

If the Stones had been on the same flight as Lynyrd Skynyrd nobody would have missed them.

grunt
20-11-2014, 09:19 AM
I rather suspect that some people on this thread are trolling for a response. If you're not, and you really believe that the Beatles, the Stones and Bruce Springsteen are over rated, well then I can't help you.

:dunno:

grunt
20-11-2014, 09:24 AM
The Beatles. Don't get me wrong, a few fantastic songs, but most of it is pish IMO. It got to the point where they could've released an album of them farting into a microphone and it would've sold millions, I think they were a victim of their own popularity and their 'quality' nosedived because of it.I'm not sure how old you are, but perhaps you had to be there to realise how completely game changing their arrival on the music scene was.

CropleyWasGod
20-11-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure how old you are, but perhaps you had to be there to realise how completely game changing their arrival on the music scene was.

Indeed.

These things always have to be put in the context of the time they actually happened. What the Beatles did was to take black American R & B, and sing it with a Scouse accent. Hardly groundbreaking from this perspective, but in the early 60's it was pretty damned revolutionary.

There's not a lot one can do with 12 bars and 3 chords. Any originality in rock music can only be through adapting and mixing what has gone before. That's what the Beatles and the Stones did.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-11-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure how old you are, but perhaps you had to be there to realise how completely game changing their arrival on the music scene was.

I'm geniunely interested and listening what's the script then? Why were they "game-changers"? I just never got it but then I'm a child of the 70s...

Geo_1875
20-11-2014, 10:17 AM
I rather suspect that some people on this thread are trolling for a response. If you're not, and you really believe that the Beatles, the Stones and Bruce Springsteen are over rated, well then I can't help you.

I didn't say the Stones were overrated but they did do all their best stuff before 1977.

Two of the Beatles were very good but better as solo musicians. As a group they benefited from being in the vanguard of the pop movement but were no better than many of the other bands around at that time.

Springsteen has a fabulous back catalogue and is the best live performer I've seen for a long time. I just can't remember the last time I listened to one of his albums all the way through.

See. Don't need your help.

grunt
20-11-2014, 10:29 AM
See. Don't need your help.:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
20-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I'm geniunely interested and listening what's the script then? Why were they "game-changers"? I just never got it but then I'm a child of the 70s...

See above.....

They took what was essentially black American music, and gave it a British identity. Musically, culturally and socially, that was an enormous shift.

By kicking that door down, they contributed to the change in the music scene, which came to be dominated by UK bands for a generation.

When I say "they", I do include the Stones and all the other British bands who were trying the same.

Pretty Boy
20-11-2014, 11:17 AM
I didn't say the Stones were overrated but they did do all their best stuff before 1977.

Two of the Beatles were very good but better as solo musicians. As a group they benefited from being in the vanguard of the pop movement but were no better than many of the other bands around at that time.

Springsteen has a fabulous back catalogue and is the best live performer I've seen for a long time. I just can't remember the last time I listened to one of his albums all the way through.

See. Don't need your help.

Which 2 of The Beatles are you classing as very good? Lennon and McCartney? If so that's grossly unfair on George Harrison who was a fantastic musician. He was far less comfortable in the limelight than the other 3 and I think that led to him being somewhat overshadowed and overlooked.

Hibee87
20-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Kaiser cheifs

Viva_Palmeiras
20-11-2014, 11:46 AM
See above.....

They took what was essentially black American music, and gave it a British identity. Musically, culturally and socially, that was an enormous shift.

By kicking that door down, they contributed to the change in the music scene, which came to be dominated by UK bands for a generation.

When I say "they", I do include the Stones and all the other British bands who were trying the same.

Thanks and for avoidance of doubt Im not trolling. I still think the Beatles were a bit samey and The Stones more creative IMO but accept their roots are similar.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Does Robbie Williams count?
Many of the contemporaries I just don't rate but probably a generation thing.

Justin Timberlake?

Maybe I need my hearing checked but a lot of stuff that claims to be r&b just sounds like it could be anyone of the interchangeables singing it. Kelly Clarkson, Ellie Goulding can you tell the difference?

CropleyWasGod
20-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks and for avoidance of doubt Im not trolling. I still think the Beatles were a bit samey and The Stones more creative IMO but accept their roots are similar.

Didn't think you were trolling at all.

Context is always important in these things. For example, the Pistols and the Clash were pretty revolutionary in their day, and were unlistenable for many people. However, listen to them now and they don't sound outrageous at all.

The same could be said for the Beatles in the 60's. "how can white Scousers sing R & B?" would be the question then. Now, as you say, it all sounds rather tame.

And, don't get me started on R & B...... :greengrin

The_Exile
20-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Which 2 of The Beatles are you classing as very good? Lennon and McCartney? If so that's grossly unfair on George Harrison who was a fantastic musician. He was far less comfortable in the limelight than the other 3 and I think that led to him being somewhat overshadowed and overlooked.

Agree with that PB, it's no coincidence that Harrison wrote both my favourite Beatles song.

In response to grunt, I've no hesitation in saying what they achieved early on was indeed groundbreaking and probably did shift the direction of music in this country for the better, but I wouldn't say that automatically made them any good.

Hibrandenburg
20-11-2014, 12:39 PM

Musical taste is subjective. I just think Springsteen is pish.

grunt
20-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Musical taste is subjective.Completely agree.

I just think Springsteen is pish.But I disagree with this. It's good that not every one thinks the same.

grunt
20-11-2014, 01:30 PM
In response to grunt, I've no hesitation in saying what they achieved early on was indeed groundbreaking and probably did shift the direction of music in this country for the better, but I wouldn't say that automatically made them any good.Thanks for your reply. I guess the problem I have with this thread is that it talks about musicians being over rated. Which is a subtly different thing to whether a musician is good or not. My final comment is that I struggle to see how the Beatles can be considered as over rated, when they had such an immensely significant effect on contemporary music. In my mind, it is difficult think of anyone, other than Bob Dylan, who I would rate more highly, in terms of their influence.

But as Hiberlin said, musical taste is subjective.

Tyler Durden
20-11-2014, 02:39 PM
I think people who question the Beatles do so out of ignorance. A lack of understanding of the breadth of their catalogue, thinking all they did was Hey Jude and All You Need is Love.

Listen to Helter Skelter, it's probably the first heavy metal song, hugely influential. Listen to Tomorrow Never Knows, a song that The Chemical Brothers ripped off 35 years later, twice, giving them a number 1 in the case of Setting Sun.

Obviously everyone has their own taste but don't claim the Beatles are over rated! They released an album virtually every 6 months for 6/7 years, unparalleled quality and depth. What they did with Apple and giving new artists of all kinds a chance, was ground breaking and won't be repeated.

Geo_1875
20-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Who mentioned McCartney? A dodgy bassist at best. Yes Harrison was a fantastic musician and as the youngest member of the group was probably unfairly overshadowed.

Geo_1875
20-11-2014, 03:43 PM
I think people who question the Beatles do so out of ignorance. A lack of understanding of the breadth of their catalogue, thinking all they did was Hey Jude and All You Need is Love.

Listen to Helter Skelter, it's probably the first heavy metal song, hugely influential. Listen to Tomorrow Never Knows, a song that The Chemical Brothers ripped off 35 years later, twice, giving them a number 1 in the case of Setting Sun.

Obviously everyone has their own taste but don't claim the Beatles are over rated! They released an album virtually every 6 months for 6/7 years, unparalleled quality and depth. What they did with Apple and giving new artists of all kinds a chance, was ground breaking and won't be repeated.

...Oasis?

PeeJay
20-11-2014, 03:56 PM
...Oasis?

... poor man's Slade, surely? ​

The_Exile
20-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Bob Dylan, who I would rate more highly, in terms of their influence.

Think we can agree on that one mate, I love Bob Dylan and think he's one of the greatest poets to ever have lived :agree:

Mikey09
21-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Think we can agree on that one mate, I love Bob Dylan and think he's one of the greatest poets to ever have lived :agree:

Along with the genius that was James Douglas Morrison..... :not worth

TRC
21-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Sting.

snooky
24-11-2014, 01:37 PM
...Oasis?

Like comparing a Macallans malt with Buckfast. :tsk tsk:

Mon Dieu4
24-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Helter Skelter was McCartney imitating the Who, he wanted to see if he could do a heavier, louder sound like they do, saw an interview once where he explained it

snooky
24-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Helter Skelter was McCartney imitating the Who, he wanted to see if he could do a heavier, louder sound like they do, saw an interview once where he explained it

:agree:
IIRC, Macca heard one of the Who (Daltry?) saying that they were planning to make the heaviest, loudest record ever.
He decided to beat them to the punch.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Sting.

Lost all respect for him when he did the Saab advertising - wonder if he still sees the rainforest Chiefs these days? Plus at the Albert hall one of his fans was Russ Abbott ;)

snooky
24-11-2014, 04:42 PM

Presley or Costello? :wink:

snooky
24-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Musical taste is subjective. I just think Springsteen is pish.

I've never been able to decide whether The Boss is really cool or just a poser :confused:

CropleyWasGod
24-11-2014, 04:47 PM
I've never been able to decide whether The Boss is really cool or just a poser :confused:

Were it not for Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes, he wouldn't have a band. 7 of them at the last count :greengrin

Pete
24-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Those giving Oasis a hard time should think about the impact they had at the time. Even if you don't agree with their music, you can't deny that they spearheaded one of the biggest changes in youth and musical culture in the last 40 years. I don't believe there's been anything like that since then.

Mixu62
25-11-2014, 11:04 PM
for me, I just don't get the hype around Kings of Leon. Couple of OK songs, but I just reckon that after what 3, 4 albums they should just be a bit better than that shouldn't they? Red Hot Chilli Peppers are another.

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2014, 04:41 PM
I dont think i have rated anything decent since around 1977. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
27-11-2014, 10:27 PM
for me, I just don't get the hype around Kings of Leon. Couple of OK songs, but I just reckon that after what 3, 4 albums they should just be a bit better than that shouldn't they? Red Hot Chilli Peppers are another.

First two KOL albums were good. Third was above average. 4th was a sell out piece of s***.

Chilis were good 15/20 years ago. Mostly irrelevant now.

SteveHFC
27-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Arctic Monkeys - what a load of pish

Mr White
28-11-2014, 06:29 AM

Ooooft harsh Steve :greengrin Not keen on their recent stuff but Alex turners early lyrical observations have to be amongst the sharpest, wittiest and perceptive of any guitar based band I've heard. And he was only 19...

Well oh they might wear classic Reeboks
Or knackered Converse
Or tracky bottoms tucked in socks
But all of that's what the point is not
The point is that there ain't no romance around there

And there's the truth that they can't see
They'd probably like to throw a punch at me
And if you could only see them, then you would agree
Agree that there ain't no romance around there

You know, oh, it's a funny thing, you know?
We'll tell them if you like
We'll tell them all tonight
They'll never listen
Because their minds are made up
And course it's all OK to carry on that way

'Cause over there there's broken bones
There's only music, so that there's new ringtones
And it don't take no Sherlock Holmes
To see it's a little different around here

Don't get me wrong though there's boys in bands
And kids who like to scrap with pool cues in their hands
And just 'cause he's had a couple of cans
He thinks it's alright to act like a dickhead

Pretty Boy
28-11-2014, 06:48 AM
First two KOL albums were good. Third was above average. 4th was a sell out piece of s***.

Chilis were good 15/20 years ago. Mostly irrelevant now.

Spot on. It's always amused me that their popularity soared as the quality of their musical output decreased so rapidly

Arctic Monkeys is a terrible shout btw. I'm off thw opinion that their later stuff is actually better than their 'definitive' debut album. They seems to have dropped off the radar a bit in recent years which is a shame as in year to come they will get the recognition they deserve imo.

SneakersO'Toole
28-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Spot on. It's always amused me that their popularity soared as the quality of their musical output decreased so rapidly

Arctic Monkeys is a terrible shout btw. I'm off thw opinion that their later stuff is actually better than their 'definitive' debut album. They seems to have dropped off the radar a bit in recent years which is a shame as in year to come they will get the recognition they deserve imo.

Totally agree. First and second KOL albums were superb, quite original at the time I thought.

AM by Arctic Monkeys is brilliant IMO. A refreshing change to their other albums which never came close to the debut album.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-11-2014, 09:25 PM
One Direction.

Hiber-nation
28-11-2014, 09:33 PM
One Direction.

Does anyone rate them apart from 12 year old lassies?

I'll vote for The Blue Nile. Don't get me wrong, I've got all their albums but to me they're just easy listening. To others they seem to be up there with the greatest bands of all time and I don't get it.

Tyler Durden
29-11-2014, 08:35 AM

Totally agree on KOL, first three albums are brilliant.

Seems like you're a big Arctic Monkeys fan, as I am, but not sure why you think they aren't getting recognition now? AM has been a massive hit in the US and they're getting bigger and bigger over there. They've always been huge in Europe, first independent band to have first five albums straight into number 1 in the UK. AM gettin almost universal critical acclaim, toured the world for pretty much 18 months solid. They are one of the biggest bands in the world today.

Alex Turner has talked of having a lengthy break now but I'm hoping its a bluff. Another Last Shadow Puppets album would be my preference if the rest of the band want a year off. Can but hope.

Hamish
04-12-2014, 05:12 PM
U2, Simple Minds, Springsteen, Coldplay.

Greentinted
04-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Probably not the most popular post ever but it's my opinion:

Had the misfortune to be working at The Playhouse and deployed immediately stage right at a Paul Weller gig. He was woeful. Totally miserable, and musically 'ok' at best.

The only bright spot was the 'mystery' guest who came on and played solo with nout but a mic and a guitar - Noel Gallagher, brilliant.

But Weller? Nah, just a steamy pile o pish!

matty_f
06-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Probably not the most popular post ever but it's my opinion:

Had the misfortune to be working at The Playhouse and deployed immediately stage right at a Paul Weller gig. He was woeful. Totally miserable, and musically 'ok' at best.

The only bright spot was the 'mystery' guest who came on and played solo with nout but a mic and a guitar - Noel Gallagher, brilliant.

But Weller? Nah, just a steamy pile o pish!

I agree about Weller, to be honest. Loved The Jam, but find Weller's solo stuff very bland.

Would add Biffy Clyro to the mix, does absolutely nothing for me.

Sylar
06-12-2014, 09:36 AM
I agree about Weller, to be honest. Loved The Jam, but find Weller's solo stuff very bland.

Would add Biffy Clyro to the mix, does absolutely nothing for me.

Heathen! One of the best acts I've ever seen live - their stage shows are phenomenal.

Fair enough if you're not a fan of the band but as musicians, they're excellent.

matty_f
06-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Heathen! One of the best acts I've ever seen live - their stage shows are phenomenal.

Fair enough if you're not a fan of the band but as musicians, they're excellent.

You could say the same about most bands, there are very few successful bands (in the traditional sense) that aren't excellent musicians.

Danderhall Hibs
06-12-2014, 04:38 PM
One Direction.

The boy that writes the 1D songs you mean?

snooky
07-12-2014, 11:15 PM

..... but I do like this song (Joe Hill) :aok:

http://brucespringsteen.net/news/2014/joe-hill-into-clampdown

Phil D. Rolls
08-12-2014, 11:10 AM
I think Bono is one of the worst air guitarists I have ever seen.

Future17
08-12-2014, 01:39 PM
One Direction.

The boy that writes the 1D songs you mean?

This raises the interesting point about what we mean by overrated musicians. One Direction are a group of laddies that sing songs written for them by other artists.

Can they sing well? I think so.

Are the songs well-written? On the whole, I think so.

Is the point that the volume of music they have sold is disproportionate to their talent/the talent of the songwriters? If so, is this more an issue of target market rather than whether or not they are "rated"?

#FromTheCapital
08-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Agree with the Arctic monkeys suggestion. Never liked them and can't understand how they're so popular. I was forced to go and see them close the main stage at T in the summer and I was almost falling asleep.... Although that may have been due to alcohol consumption :greengrin

Alex Turner is a dick as well.

SteveHFC
08-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Miles Kane

Mr White
08-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Miles Kane

:agree: poor man's Richard Hawley

RoslinInstHibby
09-12-2014, 03:45 PM
kings of leon, never liked them!

Northernhibee
10-12-2014, 06:09 AM
Queen. Cheesy pish for crap hen nights. They'll also happily let reality tv show winners and current contestants fill the boots of their deceased frontman if it gets them on the telly. Played in South Africa when others refused to do so as a protest against Apartheid.

Hiber-nation
10-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Queen. Cheesy pish for crap hen nights. They'll also happily let reality tv show winners and current contestants fill the boots of their deceased frontman if it gets them on the telly. Played in South Africa when others refused to do so as a protest against Apartheid.

Agree mostly but they were excellent pre-1977.

SteveHFC
11-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Ed Sheeran - most over-rated singer this year

Betty Boop
11-12-2014, 09:30 PM

You're going to be in so much trouble from Blackpoolhibs. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
12-12-2014, 07:45 AM
You're going to be in so much trouble from Blackpoolhibs. :greengrin

Not really. :greengrin Music is a personal thing, there are some huge bands like U2 and one direction that do nothing for me. :wink:

Its become popular to say you like these bands that nobody has heard of, when popularity without fans does not sell 300 million albums. :wink:

edinburghhibee
12-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Ed Sheeran - most over-rated singer this year I thought the same until I saw him at T in the Park this summer. He was brilliant rapping between his songs which isn't in the songs played on the radio and keeps the crowd involved. Superb.

Most over rated band tho must be take that, also agree with the Paul weller shout cod he's been terrible both times I've seen him (and refuses to sing his jam songs!!)

Betty Boop
12-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Not really. :greengrin Music is a personal thing, there are some huge bands like U2 and one direction that do nothing for me. :wink:

Its become popular to say you like these bands that nobody has heard of, when popularity without fans does not sell 300 million albums. :wink: So true. :agree:

Pete
12-12-2014, 04:47 PM
I thought the same until I saw him at T in the Park this summer. He was brilliant rapping between his songs which isn't in the songs played on the radio and keeps the crowd involved. Superb.

Most over rated band tho must be take that, also agree with the Paul weller shout cod he's been terrible both times I've seen him (and refuses to sing his jam songs!!)

Not having take that.

If any band deserves the success they've had then it's them. Gary Barlow does anyway.

SteveHFC
15-12-2014, 02:04 PM
I thought the same until I saw him at T in the Park this summer. He was brilliant rapping between his songs which isn't in the songs played on the radio and keeps the crowd involved. Superb.

Take That are a great band :hyper:. One of my many guilty pleasures.

Barman Stanton
15-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Following on from the under rated thread, who do you just not get?

For me: dr dre, can't rap, doesn't write his lyrics, terrible delivery.

foo fighters: quiet, quiet, LOUD CHECK CHORUS, repeat for an album x 8

Dre is an incredible Hip Hop producer. He has produced some of the biggest tunes in the genre all the way back from the early NWA days.

Hermit Crab
15-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Rihanna.
Cheryl Cole.
The list is endless.......

SteveHFC
15-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Rihanna.
Cheryl Cole.

I like some Rihanna songs :greengrin

snooky
15-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Ronan Keating is the most average singer ever to have made 'the big time'.
Very lucky laddie.

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Rihanna.
Cheryl Cole.

That reads more like a "to do" list?

HibeeHendo
15-12-2014, 09:41 PM

Again, opinions but you should give their 'Humbug' album a listen. It's probably there least successful album due to it being more genre specific but Turner's song writing here is on another level.

Regarding their newest release, 'AM', I love it but I hate how everyone's jumped on the bandwagon since its came out.

The band I think are the most overrated are 'The 1975'. It's like One Direction with guitars. Over produced *****. The lead singer is a pretentious ****er too.

Notable mentions: Bastille, Biffy Clyro, Cold Play.

HibeeHendo
15-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Totally agree on KOL, first three albums are brilliant.

Seems like you're a big Arctic Monkeys fan, as I am, but not sure why you think they aren't getting recognition now? AM has been a massive hit in the US and they're getting bigger and bigger over there. They've always been huge in Europe, first independent band to have first five albums straight into number 1 in the UK. AM gettin almost universal critical acclaim, toured the world for pretty much 18 months solid. They are one of the biggest bands in the world today.

Alex Turner has talked of having a lengthy break now but I'm hoping its a bluff. Another Last Shadow Puppets album would be my preference if the rest of the band want a year off. Can but hope.

Yes please.

Onceinawhile
17-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Dre is an incredible Hip Hop producer. He has produced some of the biggest tunes in the genre all the way back from the early NWA days.

He really isn't that good a producer though. Compare someone like eric b, q tip, j dilla or dj premier to him.

Yella did just as much work as Dre for the NWA as well.

Northernhibee
19-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Its become popular to say you like these bands that nobody has heard of, when popularity without fans does not sell 300 million albums. :wink:

TBF the Nazis had quite a lot of followers but I wouldn't say that they were very good :wink:

Being quite frank I go to a lot of gigs as it's the most likely setting to get me hooked on a band. Smaller venues tend to have people well into their music in them and as such give the artist their attention. Soon as you head into your SECC/Academy style venues it's full of ****s shouting ***** conversation to each other and filming the whole thing on their ****ing camera phones.

It's much easier to enjoy a gig if the band isn't that big.

Northernhibee
19-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Also, Mumford & Sons are a ***** pub band, Florence & The Machine has an outstanding voice in that I can't believe that she's not in searing, hideous, nightmarish pain at all points, The 1975 are over-rated in that some people actually call that **** music, Foo Fighters are corporate rock whores and Red Hot Chili Peppers are just catnip for ****s who wear their baseball caps back to front, hate their parents and insist on calling me "dude".

blackpoolhibs
20-12-2014, 12:11 PM
TBF the Nazis had quite a lot of followers but I wouldn't say that they were very good :wink:

Being quite frank I go to a lot of gigs as it's the most likely setting to get me hooked on a band. Smaller venues tend to have people well into their music in them and as such give the artist their attention. Soon as you head into your SECC/Academy style venues it's full of ****s shouting ***** conversation to each other and filming the whole thing on their ****ing camera phones.

It's much easier to enjoy a gig if the band isn't that big.

:greengrin I saw Queen a couple of times in the very early days in the playhouse and also in Glasgow, small venues around 3000 probably.

They were the gigs that got me hooked on them, and i have seen them many times since when Mercury was alive and once with Paul Rodgers.

Their best performance in my opinion was at Wembley closely followed by Knebworth, two huge venues. If ever a band and their music worked best with a bigger crowd it was Queen, and again in my opinion Mercury's stage presence and ability to have such huge numbers in the palm of his hand marks him down as the best front man in my opinion.

Saw quite a few Wembley gigs when i lived in St Albans, and nobody came close, and of course at Live Aid they were the best band by a country mile.

At the end of the day its all about personal opinions. :greengrin

Northernhibee
20-12-2014, 02:05 PM
:greengrin I saw Queen a couple of times in the very early days in the playhouse and also in Glasgow, small venues around 3000 probably.

They were the gigs that got me hooked on them, and i have seen them many times since when Mercury was alive and once with Paul Rodgers.

Their best performance in my opinion was at Wembley closely followed by Knebworth, two huge venues. If ever a band and their music worked best with a bigger crowd it was Queen, and again in my opinion Mercury's stage presence and ability to have such huge numbers in the palm of his hand marks him down as the best front man in my opinion.

Saw quite a few Wembley gigs when i lived in St Albans, and nobody came close, and of course at Live Aid they were the best band by a country mile.

At the end of the day its all about personal opinions. :greengrin
I stopped going to T in the Park after someone asked Mr where they could find a plug socket to use their hair straighteners.

blackpoolhibs
20-12-2014, 04:05 PM
I stopped going to T in the Park after someone asked Mr where they could find a plug socket to use their hair straighteners.

:tee hee:

Stranraer
21-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Rihanna, Coldplay :brickwall, Nicki Minaj :rolleyes: are all I think overrated.

I think Morrissey is the greatest singer of all time but I think Lana Del Rey is underrated, she is outstanding.

Northernhibee
21-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Rihanna, Coldplay :brickwall, Nicki Minaj :rolleyes: are all I think overrated.

I think Morrissey is the greatest singer of all time but I think Lana Del Rey is underrated, she is outstanding.

I used to think the same about Coldplay until I was sent to see them at Hampden and they were ****ing joyous. Used to be a music writer and had always held them with great suspicion but that night was an absolute highlight.

SteveHFC
21-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Anyone who says Taylor Swift is overrated can do one :greengrin

Stranraer
22-12-2014, 07:54 PM
I used to think the same about Coldplay until I was sent to see them at Hampden and they were ****ing joyous. Used to be a music writer and had always held them with great suspicion but that night was an absolute highlight.

:aok: have you got any songs you can recommend? I've only really heard their mainstream stuff which I didn't like.

easty
22-12-2014, 09:52 PM

I liked a lot of Coldplays music, but they were never a band I was fussed about seeing. Went to see them at TITP in 2011 and thought they were absolutley excellent.

:aok: have you got any songs you can recommend? I've only really heard their mainstream stuff which I didn't like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzL9R6LbsQg

you can watch thier whole set here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKJnzKiB1-o

Mr White
22-12-2014, 10:07 PM

Rush of blood to the head is a fantastic album imo. A good few well known singles on it but my 2 favourite tracks from it are green eyes and warning sign. Strawberry swing on the viva la vida album is another one I like. I haven't been too keen on much of their last few albums but there's no doubt chris martin is an outstanding songwriter and they're a great live act. Victims of their own success really though in that a lot of their music has been played to death on radio and tv.

Northernhibee
22-12-2014, 10:27 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwf5iRBbilM

Northernhibee
22-12-2014, 10:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzPQawbjHko

Northernhibee
22-12-2014, 10:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNWCryln7xM

Hiber-nation
23-12-2014, 07:15 AM
Rush of blood to the head is a fantastic album imo. A good few well known singles on it but my 2 favourite tracks from it are green eyes and warning sign. Strawberry swing on the viva la vida album is another one I like. I haven't been too keen on much of their last few albums but there's no doubt chris martin is an outstanding songwriter and they're a great live act. Victims of their own success really though in that a lot of their music has been played to death on radio and tv.

Booooooooo!!!!!!

For me, if want to listen to that sort of stuff, Athlete and Aqualung are miles better than Coldplay.

easty
23-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Booooooooo!!!!!!

For me, if want to listen to that sort of stuff, Athlete and Aqualung are miles better than Coldplay.

I've no listened to much Aqualung, but Athlete have a couple of good songs in amongst a load of *****.

Geo_1875
23-12-2014, 08:48 AM

Probably a couple of their songs that are just about listenable. The rest make me feel that if they can't be bothered why should I.

Steve-O
23-12-2014, 09:02 AM

Politik, God Put A Smile On Your Face, Lovers in Japan.

3 lesser known songs of theirs that are amongst my favourites.

I don't really like more popular ones like Paradise or Trouble.

Mr White
23-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Booooooooo!!!!!!

:greengrin I'm ashamed.

Hiber-nation
23-12-2014, 12:37 PM
I've no listened to much Aqualung, but Athlete have a couple of good songs in amongst a load of *****.

You might like them when you're my age :)

Northernhibee
23-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Booooooooo!!!!!!

For me Athlete are in the same category of Embrace as "Don't know if having a singer that can't carry a tune in a bucket is ambitious or just plain *****".

Hiber-nation
23-12-2014, 09:32 PM
For me Athlete are in the same category of Embrace as "Don't know if having a singer that can't carry a tune in a bucket is ambitious or just plain *****".

I like them both!

And I'll chuck the White Stripes into the over-rated category. Just don't get them at all.

easty
23-12-2014, 10:39 PM
I like them both!

And I'll chuck the White Stripes into the over-rated category. Just don't get them at all.

I love the White Stripes, some absolutely brilliant tunes. Icky Thump is an excellent song.

Northernhibee
24-12-2014, 05:40 AM
I'd put the XX in the category as well. I really, really don't get it.

Haymaker
25-12-2014, 02:24 AM
That reads more like a "to do" list?

:faf:

Haymaker
25-12-2014, 02:25 AM
I like some Rihanna songs :greengrin

You like oasis steve. Shush.

Steve-O
25-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Ed Sheeran is utter guff. How he is selling out Wembley etc is a total mystery to me.

People say Coldplay are boring?! They are like going to see KISS during a fireworks display compared to Sheeran.

Haymaker
26-12-2014, 03:04 AM
Ed Sheeran is utter guff. How he is selling out Wembley etc is a total mystery to me.

People say Coldplay are boring?! They are like going to see KISS during a fireworks display compared to Sheeran.

:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Lady Gaga! wtf?

Future17
26-12-2014, 10:36 AM

Can't agree with that. Very talented singer, songwriter and musician with a varied range of songs already in a relatively short period of time (in which he's been well-known).

SneakersO'Toole
26-12-2014, 06:59 PM
I'd put the XX in the category as well. I really, really don't get it.

Genuinely their first album is outstanding.

The Baldmans Comb
31-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Phil Collins unbelievably was one of the biggest "stars" of the 1980's and the Smiths and the heid poser fronting them always made me giggle rather than listen.

CropleyWasGod
31-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Phil Collins unbelievably was one of the biggest "stars" of the 1980's and the Smiths and the heid poser fronting them always made me giggle rather than listen.
Despite the guff music, Collins remains one of the finest drummers I've ever seen.

Geo_1875
31-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Despite the guff music, Collins remains one of the finest drummers I've ever seen.

It's easy for the drummer to look good when he fronts thr band, produces all the songs and directs the show. His solos are efficient but technically average. He does put on a good show though.

CropleyWasGod
31-12-2014, 09:20 AM
It's easy for the drummer to look good when he fronts thr band, produces all the songs and directs the show. His solos are efficient but technically average. He does put on a good show though.
I've never seen his solo show. I'm talking about his time with Genesis, when he was up there with the likes of Moon and Palmer.

PeeJay
31-12-2014, 12:26 PM

"Average"? Phil Collins is technically more than a very fine drummer - his work as a solo artist or in the more "poppy/successful" Genesis may well not be as technically proficient as when compared to his work with the prog rock era Genesis and Brand X, but he is a long way from being an "average" drummer - and "looking good" in his solo career is (IMO) because he is so good not just because he fronts the band - doing everything you list requires talent, not luck. Having played in a band myself I generally "hate" drummers, but grudgingly admire the good ones, one of which Collins certainly is/was (believe he's retired now due to hearing problems?).

Stranraer
03-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the Coldplay links, they have been replaced by MUSE.

Stranraer
03-01-2015, 08:46 PM

:rolleyes: I think Morrissey and the Smiths produced some of the greatest songs ever written. Currently listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ItKU8wFBRo

Northernhibee
03-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the Coldplay links, they have been replaced by MUSE.

Muse are **** for ****s who get too much Dungeons and Dragons and not enough action. Genuinely dreadful.

Pretty Boy
04-01-2015, 12:21 AM
Muse are **** for ****s who get too much Dungeons and Dragons and not enough action. Genuinely dreadful.

Proud to say I mentioned Muse very early doors in this thread.

Jones28
04-01-2015, 12:40 AM

They are ****ing awful

Steve-O
08-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Can't agree with that. Very talented singer, songwriter and musician with a varied range of songs already in a relatively short period of time (in which he's been well-known).

Sorry, most of that first album sounds the same to me. And not in a good way.

Second is a bit more upbeat I suppose, but just not for me.

snooky
08-01-2015, 10:01 AM

Aye, and he had that big hit about the homeless ("Another Day In Paradise") whilst evicting residents from his newly purchased estate.
Oh how we laughed :rolleyes:

Stranraer
08-01-2015, 10:22 AM
What are people's thoughts on RadioHead. My local music store had Amnesiac on offer so I bought it.

Kept hearing Radio 1 banging on about them, then heard creep but this album is nothing to rave about.

So glad MUSE are on many people's lists.

Pretty Boy
08-01-2015, 10:27 AM
What are people's thoughts on RadioHead. My local music store had Amnesiac on offer so I bought it.

Kept hearing Radio 1 banging on about them, then heard creep but this album is nothing to rave about.

So glad MUSE are on many people's lists.

Best British band of the last 30 years.

Get a hold of a copy of The Bends, stunning album. Amnesiac and Kid A are probably not the best introduction to Radiohead tbh.

Mr White
08-01-2015, 11:16 AM

Get a hold of a copy of The Bends, stunning album. Amnesiac and Kid A are probably not the best introduction to Radiohead tbh.

I'm not a massive radiohead fan but I've always liked hail to the thief. A very under-rated album, There There is a fantastic track.

There's a reason The Bends and OK Computer always rank near the top of best album of all time polls: They're both works of genius.

Stranraer
08-01-2015, 09:18 PM

:aok: thank you, I'll get Ronnie to order that in tomorrow. Appreciate it.

portyhibernian
09-01-2015, 01:24 AM

Absolutely love NWA, and still relevant today as evidenced by the Michael Brown situation.

Stranraer
10-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Absolutely love NWA, and still relevant today as evidenced by the Michael Brown situation.

Eazy E was brilliant, even when he disses Dre and Snoop in "Real Muthaf**** G's" :greengrin

Northernhibee
10-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Frightened Rabbit too. There's about fifty other bands in Scotland who do the same thing but better.

Hiber-nation
10-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Frightened Rabbit too. There's about fifty other bands in Scotland who do the same thing but better.

Yeah they are really dull. Not as dull as Turin Brakes but no-one ever really rated them in the first place.

Northernhibee
10-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Frank Turner too. Fairly average songs, gets bundled in with Billy Bragg but if you look more deeply into his politics it's all a bit questionable. This generations Phil Collins.

matty_f
11-01-2015, 11:54 PM

Amnesia and Kid A are growers. I didn't take to them at first but love them now. Radiohead are awesome.

Haymaker
12-01-2015, 01:11 AM
Frank Turner too. Fairly average songs, gets bundled in with Billy Bragg but if you look more deeply into his politics it's all a bit questionable. This generations Phil Collins.

Frank Turner has some absolute belters in his collection yet far more dross thank quality. He and I have a lot of mutual friends from before he got "famous" and a lot of his early songs hit the right notes for me as they were basically about the same situations.

His politics are very suspect however, never quite worked out what they were/are.

Mr White
12-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Frank Turner has some absolute belters in his collection yet far more dross thank quality. He and I have a lot of mutual friends from before he got "famous" and a lot of his early songs hit the right notes for me as they were basically about the same situations.

His politics are very suspect however, never quite worked out what they were/are.

In what way? I don't know anything about him but I've really enjoyed his last 3 albums, particularly England Keep My Bones.

Edit- just found this article from 2013 which explains a bit about it
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/apr/24/frank-turner-death-threats

Haymaker
12-01-2015, 02:55 PM
In what way? I don't know anything about him but I've really enjoyed his last 3 albums, particularly England Keep My Bones.

Edit- just found this article from 2013 which explains a bit about it
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/apr/24/frank-turner-death-threats

Seems to be painted by some as a new Billy Bragg/socialist because he wrote a song called "Thatcher ****ed the kids" and lived on people sofas for a while on tour etc. A lot of people who paint him as such are always very shocked to find out he attended Eton College and has some conservative views.

Guess it shows that the "kids" these days are quick to tag someone left wing because of one song!

I liked his new album, especially "four simple words" which sums up my view on the whole London "punk" scene nowadays.