PDA

View Full Version : Butcher still on the money from hibs ?

Rory
18-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Is he??

Viva_Palmeiras
18-11-2014, 09:31 PM
IF he is its because its part of his bizarre settlement or he was entitied anyway.
Less said about him the better or do you like repicking old wounds for pleasure?

madabouthibs
18-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Who cares? I'd gladly pay to keep the phekin erse away! :agree:

silverhibee
18-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Is he??

Yes, why do you ask.

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-11-2014, 09:41 PM
IF he is its because its part of his bizarre settlement or he was entitied anyway.
Less said about him the better or do you like repicking old wounds for pleasure?

Guessing he's been brought up due to his mug being on our screens during the Scotland game. Pretty galling that we're still paying him and he's picking up a decent wage to talk pish on TV

Rory
18-11-2014, 09:43 PM

I don't but fair call as it doesn't help I guess. I just genuinely didn't know. I hope we're not. I can't understand the type of contract that would allow but hey ho. Onwards and upwards , coat on :)

silverhibee
18-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Guessing he's been brought up due to his mug being on our screens during the Scotland game. Pretty galling that we're still paying him and he's picking up a decent wage to talk pish on TV

Maybe just getting his expenses paid.

Mr White
18-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Maybe just getting his expenses paid.

I suspect his contract with hibs allowed/allows him to do paid media work in his own time. He was booked to be a pundit at the world cup while he was still in charge of us.

NAE NOOKIE
18-11-2014, 10:15 PM
If he had any shame he would give it to g charity !!!

Winston Ingram
18-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Pretty sure he & Malpas are only getting paid til the end of the year

Rory
18-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Pretty sure he & Malpas are only getting paid til the end of the year

We'll be glad come 1 Jan if this is the case. Hopefully learned from it for future appointments. I guess there's no definitive answer as to whether he is still getting paid but it does leave a bad taste

Caversham Green
19-11-2014, 08:16 AM
My take on it is that he was on a fixed term contract and 'sacking' him would have been a breach of that contract meaning the club would have had to pay up the full remaining value - which I believe was 2.5 years. The alternative was to put him on notice for whatever period was stipulated in the contract and pay his wages for that period - I recall someone saying it was one year.

So the choice was pay a lump sum equivalent to 2.5 years wages or pay monthly wages for a year - not a difficult decision. Of course any manager with a shred of integrity would have resigned after the disaster of last year.

heretoday
19-11-2014, 09:41 AM
I am surprised his opinion is still sought by TV media. Perhaps STV were just short of talking heads last night.

On the plus side, some deluded club chairman from the lower English leagues might have been moved to employ him.

Brightside
19-11-2014, 09:46 AM
This has been covered 100 time already. He's on a contract. If we wanted to rip up the contract we would have had to pay him off in full. Paying him monthly instead is just basic business sense.

jacomo
19-11-2014, 09:56 AM
He really should have offered his resignation after we lost the play off. His failure to do so confirmed his unsuitability as manager of this fitba club.

Mikey09
19-11-2014, 12:36 PM
My take on it is that he was on a fixed term contract and 'sacking' him would have been a breach of that contract meaning the club would have had to pay up the full remaining value - which I believe was 2.5 years. The alternative was to put him on notice for whatever period was stipulated in the contract and pay his wages for that period - I recall someone saying it was one year.

So the choice was pay a lump sum equivalent to 2.5 years wages or pay monthly wages for a year - not a difficult decision. Of course any manager with a shred of integrity would have resigned after the disaster of last year.

I seem to remember Gordon Strachan being sacked by Middlesbrough and he waived his compensation as he felt it wouldn't have been right to take so much out the club after his disappointing time in charge..... Maybe something Butcher and his erse of a sidekick should have done....

MB62
19-11-2014, 12:53 PM

Is this not exactly what we done with Bobby Williamson?

Caversham Green
19-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Is this not exactly what we done with Bobby Williamson?

His contract was coming to an end anyway, but we sold him to Plymouth Argyll did we not?

Bad Martini
19-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Serious question alert...

Given his inept performances and noted lack of success, not least of whcih saw our decline down the league even more rapidly than under Fenlon, I assume we couldn't have pursued giving him **** ALL, given his abject failure??

I mean, that's us breaching contract. Surely there must be something that says you canny get a team relegated and expect that to be rewarded with continued employment? Would that not be akin to an LRT bus driver ramming 15 double deckers into a low bridge and expecting to be put on a single decker, paid the same rate and told not to do it again?

:cb

The mind boggles...

Stevie Reid
19-11-2014, 01:08 PM
His contract was coming to an end anyway, but we sold him to Plymouth Argyll did we not?

IIRC, Williamson signed a 5 year contract but within it Hibs somehow had the option to serve him a year's notice - this was actioned in 2004 and handily Paul Sturrock recommended him to Plymouth around the same time.

Mr White
19-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Serious question alert...

Given his inept performances and noted lack of success, not least of whcih saw our decline down the league even more rapidly than under Fenlon, I assume we couldn't have pursued giving him **** ALL, given his abject failure??

I mean, that's us breaching contract. Surely there must be something that says you canny get a team relegated and expect that to be rewarded with continued employment? Would that not be akin to an LRT bus driver ramming 15 double deckers into a low bridge and expecting to be put on a single decker, paid the same rate and told not to do it again?

:cb

The mind boggles...
If lothian buses were to give the driver a contract that allowed that then... well I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. Butcher and malpuss held all the cards in contract negotiations so it's little wonder there wasn't a relegation clause unfortunately.

Caversham Green
19-11-2014, 01:30 PM
IIRC, Williamson signed a 5 year contract but within it Hibs somehow had the option to serve him a year's notice - this was actioned in 2004 and handily Paul Sturrock recommended him to Plymouth around the same time.

Right. I remember some strange activity about his contract - my understanding was that he was in the last year and had been told it wasn't going to be renewed, but I do recall it was originally 5 years (a long time for any contract) and he hadn't been at ER for anything like that time.

Quite unusual to let a manager work out his notice - he could easily be tapping up players for his next job or sabotaging the club if he was going to a competitor. Glad they didn't do that with Butcher.

lord bunberry
19-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Right. I remember some strange activity about his contract - my understanding was that he was in the last year and had been told it wasn't going to be renewed, but I do recall it was originally 5 years (a long time for any contract) and he hadn't been at ER for anything like that time.

Quite unusual to let a manager work out his notice - he could easily be tapping up players for his next job or sabotaging the club if he was going to a competitor. Glad they didn't do that with Butcher.

I'm sure the news about his notice period was made public the day we played hearts in the game the goc scored the winner after Brebner had been sent off.

Hibernia&Alba
19-11-2014, 05:03 PM
He really should have offered his resignation after we lost the play off. His failure to do so confirmed his unsuitability as manager of this fitba club.

Spot on. Any man with a sliver of integrity would have walked away without expecting a penny more from such a disastrous few months.

Waxy
19-11-2014, 05:08 PM
He really should have offered his resignation after we lost the play off. His failure to do so confirmed his unsuitability as manager of this fitba club.Yes but other clubs will know he didn't and still took a wage from us. Other clubs might not go near him because of this.

emerald green
19-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Leaving aside all the technical / legal stuff for the moment, in my mind Butcher & Malpas are a couple of wage thieves.

Iceman1875
19-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Hugely frustrating that butcher, Malpas and Marsella are being paid which could and should have went on the squad for this season to really compete. Combined we must be paying those three around £10k per week.

At Easter Road we play...

ancient hibee
19-11-2014, 08:38 PM
At an AGM a few years back I suggested that all managerial contracts should have performance clauses with sanctions including dismissal in certain circumstances.I was told that nobody would sign such a contract(a fairly naive view).I said that they would if they wanted the job and if they weren't willing to back themselves we shouldn't be offering it to them in the first place-no response.

yekimevol
19-11-2014, 09:32 PM
There on gardening leave for the duration of their contract, so they get their full pay until the end of the contract term unfortunately.

jacomo
20-11-2014, 03:39 PM
There on gardening leave for the duration of their contract, so they get their full pay until the end of the contract term unfortunately.

If so, we've been mugged. Petrie! :grr:

silverhibee
20-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Leaving aside all the technical / legal stuff for the moment, in my mind Butcher & Malpas are a couple of wage thieves.

But good gardeners. :greengrin

silverhibee
20-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Don't think that is what Ms Dempster said, pretty sure she said they will get paid up until next summer then that is it.

AndyM_1875
20-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Don't think that is what Ms Dempster said, pretty sure she said they will get paid up until next summer then that is it.

I thought it was 6 months (i.e. end of 2014) as he did under 1 calendar year?

Horribly I fear that you're right

3pm
20-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Relegation P45 should have been in the contract.

jacomo
20-11-2014, 05:59 PM
But good gardeners. :greengrin

Apparently his garden is an absolute disgrace right now - he's killed the roses, chopped down the healthy tree and left the diseased one, and destroyed the lawn by tramping all over it like an oaf.

But give him 18 months and it will be looking good again - Marsella has found a discount garden centre so he can replace all the plants he's killed on the cheap.