PDA

View Full Version : NHC Scotland v England, relevance.

Stax
17-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Just watching Scotland tonight with Craig Brown as a guest talking about the game tomorrow. Brown saying the game means more to us. Along with fud adrian Durham on talksport this evening spouting this is our "World Cup final" I couldn't disagree more. I remember the home internationals and growing up pre TV saturation football it was a massive game. I honestly don't think this is the case anymore. I'm glad we got the result on Friday & tomorrow would be great to get a result to keep momentum going but nothing more. In truth I think England just aren't the scalp they think they are. Interested to here anyone's views.

Jonnyboy
17-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Just watching Scotland tonight with Craig Brown as a guest talking about the game tomorrow. Brown saying the game means more to us. Along with fud adrian Durham on talksport this evening spouting this is our "World Cup final" I couldn't disagree more. I remember the home internationals and growing up pre TV saturation football it was a massive game. I honestly don't think this is the case anymore. I'm glad we got the result on Friday & tomorrow would be great to get a result to keep momentum going but nothing more. In truth I think England just aren't the scalp they think they are. Interested to here anyone's views.

I too grew up when the fixture meant something and I enjoyed various Wembley weekends but the tie no longer has that attraction for me.

majorhibs
17-11-2014, 10:34 PM

Nah, your right, Friday was huge for me, a game I'd been looking forward to for weeks, & let me tell you it felt real good to be jumping around after such an important goal, & althought the last 15 took the usual 30, coming out the ground at FT where I want to be a lot more regular, just cannae beat that winning feeling coming out a ground when your teams done the business. The engloids though? They just are not as high on the priority list these days, obviously they get the easy peasy groups every time from fifa for whatever reason so qualifying is usually a cakewalk for them, while we, thanks fifa, usually end up wi world cup winners, finalists & 3/4 playoff merchants in our group, so qualifying takes precedence. Mind you, it would be SOOO good to give them a right sair yin! They deserve it fi us, missed pens euro 96, beaten at wembley but still through on G.D, only one mob luckier than them & thats the consciousless lot robbing charities, but hopefully a result the morn & a wind of change. (Mind if I was going to the game the morn instead of offshore I might have felt a bit stronger about turning them over) but the qualifier was the one for me.

CRAZYHIBBY
17-11-2014, 10:36 PM
I want to hammer them...i dont care if its football, basketball, snooker or thumb wrestling I want to pump them at everything

DarrenSQH
17-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Never been to a Scotland England game before. Can't wait for the morn.

Hope we pump them

NAE NOOKIE
17-11-2014, 10:41 PM
In the old days ... pre 80s, this was a game against the best England had to offer from their top clubs. Now the best England has to offer is a fair distance from the best players from the top clubs. Lets face it, the further 1966 fades into history the smaller a scalp England have become. So in terms of football kudos it doesn't get you much.

Still worth the effort as the oldest international and for the local bragging rights though.

Stax
17-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Never been to a Scotland England game before. Can't wait for the morn.

Hope we pump them
My sons first game tomorrow as well (he's11) His Scotland top and scarf laid out at the bottom of his bed and he can't wait :thumbsup:

Hibernia&Alba
17-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Beating the bigger neighbour next door probably does mean more to us, due to its being a bigger achievement. England are always expected to win the fixture these days, as Scotland no longer has world class players such as Law, Dalglish, Hansen, Souness, Johnstone etc. It isn't the even contest it used to be, but remains the oldest international fixture in the world, so will always be special.

SteveHFC
17-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Also my first Scotland-England game tomorrow.

Looking forward to it. Can't wait to boo Rooney :greengrin

SteveHFC
17-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Where's everyone sitting tomorrow?

I'll be in the Jock Stein upper again.

edinburghhibee
17-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Behind the dugouts for me!!! Looking forward to it but I'll be honest our job was done on Friday. Tonight's result doesn't matter to me

SteveHFC
17-11-2014, 11:24 PM
Behind the dugouts for me!!! Looking forward to it but I'll be honest our job was done on Friday. Tonight's result doesn't matter to me

Exactly mate. If we win then great if not then i'll not cry myself to sleep over it. :greengrin

lucky
18-11-2014, 12:00 AM
It meant a lot in these days. Check out the tackles never mind the Scotland fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGLrfSn4dvc

Hibbyradge
18-11-2014, 05:57 AM
It's a pointless, badly timed and irrelevant waste of time.

I'm stuck in a B&B with nothing better to do before I go to sleep, so I'll watch it, but I wish it wasn't happening.

H18sry
18-11-2014, 06:36 AM

I'm stuck in a B&B with nothing better to do before I go to sleep, so I'll watch it, but I wish it wasn't happening.

Why?

Dav1986
18-11-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm in london on a course this week and I'm the only Scottish person on it so I want us to pump them tonight. Always want to beat them although I'm not as passionate about that as much these days as the missus is english

JimBHibees
18-11-2014, 06:53 AM
Would be great to win however by far the more important game was the Ireland one.

DH1875
18-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Back im the day I'd have been well up for this. Been to a few of the games and loved it. Even went down for the euro 96 game despite not having a ticket. Bro phoned me at the weekend saying hes got tickets for tonight and asked if I wanted to go. I told him I'd just leave it and watch it in the house. This from someone who now lives in Glasgow. Dont know if its me, but things have defo changed.

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2014, 07:03 AM

Aye right then, you're paying to go to the game and the result doesn't matter to you! Enough of this nonsense on here, the result matters to everyone on here, I will ripping the pish if we win and taking the flak if we don't (which won't happen). COME ON ENGLAND GET INTO THEM!

Oscar T Grouch
18-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Always want tae pump the sassenachs, I hope we show them up tonight for how rubbish they are. I was brought up watching these matches and they mean as much now as they always did. I hate the English football team. Mon the Scots, intae these bassas 😈

Salisbury Hibby
18-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Nah, beaten at wembley but still through on G.D

If that's the Euro 2000 playoff, we can't complain about losing a two legged playoff on aggregate.

Should have handled Paul Scholes better at Hampden to be fair.

Big_Franck
18-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Have to agree with the poster above that said engerland aren't the scalp they used to be and that has taken something away from the game.

They are now ranked 20th in the world, below Costa Rica and Algeria.

Still hope we win of course, but the important game was on Friday.

Keith_M
18-11-2014, 08:02 AM
England handed back 2,000 of their allocation, so it doesn't look like it's a big deal to most of their fans.

TBF, having the game on a wednesday, sandwiched in between Euro Qualifiers and league matches in the middle of November is hardly giving it much prominence.

I just hope for a decent game and that people behave themselves.... especially our very own Scouse Git. If England win tonight, I want him banned immediately.

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2014, 08:32 AM
England handed back 2,000 of their allocation, so it doesn't look like it's a big deal to most of their fans.

TBF, having the game on a wednesday, sandwiched in between Euro Qualifiers and league matches in the middle of November is hardly giving it much prominence.

I just hope for a decent game and that people behave themselves.... especially our very own Scouse Git. If England win tonight, I want him banned immediately.

I won't say one word when we win :-)

bob12345
18-11-2014, 08:37 AM
If anyone's after a ticket for tonight, give me a PM, got one going at face value.

superfurryhibby
18-11-2014, 09:10 AM

You're not obliged to take any interest, try reading a book or dae yer knitting:na na:

Moulin Yarns
18-11-2014, 09:22 AM
My favourite moment from the Scotland v England games.

Watch from 6:30. I was directly in line with the shot behind the goals. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jypCScjrkVM

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2014, 09:23 AM
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=752815894774263&set=vb.209887425733782&type=2&theater

England getting ready for tonight.

PeeJay
18-11-2014, 09:36 AM

I'm pretty sure in the "old days" this was the only game that mattered: beating "them" meant everything. Stopped going myself after the centenary game on a cold, wet, windy and snowy evening in Glasgow when they pumped us 0-5!

Although the English team has been better than the Scottish team for so long now it's embarrassing it'll be interesting to see how Scotland fares this evening - Strachan seems to have something good going on in the team.

Think for Scottish fans the game probably means more, in the bigger scheme of things however, the game is pretty irrelevant - two teams in a friendly, one of which means next to nothing on the international stage ...

Phil MaGlass
18-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Always want tae pump the sassenachs, I hope we show them up tonight for how rubbish they are. I was brought up watching these matches and they mean as much now as they always did. I hate the English football team. Mon the Scots, intae these bassas 

exactly right. GERINTAETHUM

OH AYE, AND ACCORDING TO THE PAPERS AND STRACHAN, THE PLAYERS DONīT FIND IT IRRELEVANT, WELL UP FOR IT.ooPS CAPS.

Hibbyradge
18-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Why?

Because it's a pointless, badly timed, irrelevant waste of time.

I wish Scotland didn't play any of these stupid "friendlies".

On the plus side, at least the SEA will make a few more million out of it from the mug punters again.

SteveHFC
18-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Heavy traffic on the City Bypass through to Livingston.

Pretty Boy
18-11-2014, 04:29 PM
English guy in my work compared it to Italy v San Marino. Hope we ****ing pump them.

For info btw:

Scotland v England

Ranking : 37 v 20

Head to head: 41 v 46 (24 draws)

San Marino v Italy

Ranking: 11 v 208

Head to head: 0 v 2

I almost find the England and Italy comparison more ridiculous than the Scotland and San Marino. What with their 4 World Cups and 1 European Championships the Italians must be furious at being compared to a minnow like England.

VivaHiberņa
18-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Always want tae pump the sassenachs, I hope we show them up tonight for how rubbish they are. I was brought up watching these matches and they mean as much now as they always did. I hate the English football team. Mon the Scots, intae these bassas 

How can people not be taking this seriously? It's England. Our rivals. The auld enemy. Vince sums it up for me, except the first match against England I remember was last year. Before then I'd grown up wanting to give them a go. When we go up this season and Hearts stay down for years (yeah, I know) will people be saying it's just another game when we get them in a cup? It's the same thing in my eyes.

I reckon we should bring back a Rous Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rous_Cup) type of fixture. Play it in August on odd-numbered years, alternating Wembley and Hampden.

(I don't dispute though that the SFA are taking the piss with those prices.)

Hibbyradge
18-11-2014, 05:06 PM
How can people not be taking this seriously?

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/england-team-fired-up-for-going-home-after-scotland-game-2014111892864

DH1875
18-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Things are starting to get a bit nasty in the weege already. Take care folks

ancient hibee
18-11-2014, 05:10 PM
I've lost interest in pro.international sport.It was different when the people playing were actually from the country they were playing for.Rugby is dreadful-3 years residence and that's your country.I would never pay to watch it now.

Sir David Gray
18-11-2014, 05:14 PM
English guy in my work compared it to Italy v San Marino. Hope we ****ing pump them.

For info btw:

Scotland v England

Ranking : 37 v 20

Head to head: 41 v 46 (24 draws)

San Marino v Italy

Ranking: 11 v 208

Head to head: 0 v 2

I almost find the England and Italy comparison more ridiculous than the Scotland and San Marino. What with their 4 World Cups and 1 European Championships the Italians must be furious at being compared to a minnow like England.

San Marino's doing much better these days! :wink:

VivaHiberņa
18-11-2014, 05:26 PM
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/england-team-fired-up-for-going-home-after-scotland-game-2014111892864

:hilarious THEY can do what they want. To be fair it maybe isn't the game it used to be for Engerland, between their obsession with Germany and actually qualifying for tournaments, but I can't understand how someone could support Scotland and not consider this game significant.

Gus
18-11-2014, 05:46 PM
[/B]

Aye right then, you're paying to go to the game and the result doesn't matter to you! Enough of this nonsense on here, the result matters to everyone on here, I will ripping the pish if we win and taking the flak if we don't (which won't happen). COME ON ENGLAND GET INTO THEM!

Well said Scouse

I wish it was the Rugby and would be wanting a 55-45 England win ;-)

Gordy M
18-11-2014, 05:49 PM
I think england NEED this game more than we do. They have just about qualified already having the easiest group in qualifying, so they need to prepare against better opposition, and have some competitive games, think they have a few friendlies against top nations lined up. We, on the other hand, are on a good run of form and confidence is high, if, god forbid we lose, it may have a negative effect on the team and may take a bit away from the high we are on at the mo. We have more to lose out of this friendly imo.

Sir David Gray
18-11-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm not a huge fan of international football (although I do admit that my interest in Scotland has increased since the appointment of Gordon Strachan) but any meeting between Scotland and England is a big deal.

Friendly, my arse.

Hope we hammer them tonight.

Come on Scotland! :thumbsup:

Deansy
18-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Good way of getting fired-up for tonight's game - THE HUN SUPPORT EM !!!!

Keith_M
18-11-2014, 06:28 PM

England aren't great but I wouldn't have compared them to San Marino.

:wink:

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2014, 07:54 PM
So far so good it's all relevant to me :-)

Hibbyradge
18-11-2014, 08:43 PM
We, on the other hand, are on a good run of form and confidence is high, if, god forbid we lose, it may have a negative effect on the team and may take a bit away from the high we are on at the mo. We have more to lose out of this friendly imo.

That's pretty much word for word what I said on Saturday.

Why we agreed to play this game tonight, I'll never know.

Hibbyradge
19-11-2014, 06:02 AM
:hilarious THEY can do what they want. To be fair it maybe isn't the game it used to be for Engerland, between their obsession with Germany and actually qualifying for tournaments, but I can't understand how someone could support Scotland and not consider this game significant.

I bet you're now wishing you'd put the game in the "insignificant" corner like I did! :wink:

JimBHibees
19-11-2014, 06:59 AM
That's pretty much word for word what I said on Saturday.

Why we agreed to play this game tonight, I'll never know.

Ka ching is the only reason.

TAHibby
19-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Completely irrelevant.

VivaHiberņa
19-11-2014, 10:30 AM
I bet you're now wishing you'd put the game in the "insignificant" corner like I did! :wink:

Lucky you. :greengrin I wish I could but I'd be kidding myself on and be no less annoyed than I was last night. :boo hoo:

Next time though, we'll pump the b******s.

--------
19-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Because it's a pointless, badly timed, irrelevant waste of time.

I wish Scotland didn't play any of these stupid "friendlies".

On the plus side, at least the SFA will make a few more million out of it from the mug punters again.

Totally agree. The only justification for friendly internationals is to assist in team preparation for the serious games. I can't see how this one helps anyone other than the bean-counters, who IMHO have a sight too much say in what goes on in football these days.

If I thought the SFA would use the money from this game sensibly, it might not be so bad, but they won't.

Back in the day this fixture was THE game everyone in Scotland looked forward to - the last game of the season and the one time everyone united behind the Scottish players to beat the Auld Enemy.

Mind you, the players WERE Scottish in those days, and failure had serious consequences.

Remember Frank Haffey? "What's the time?" "Nearly ten past Haffey." Guy had to emigrate to Australia, IIRC, and quite right. Ended up where he belonged - in cabaret, as a comedian. No change there, then.

That creep Parkinson once asked Dave Mackay whether he'd played in "that" game. Mackay answered, "NONE of us played that day," and wouldn't say another word on the subject. Even Parkinson had enough sense not to press the matter. I'm certain Mackay would have walked out of the studio. Probably banjoed Parky long before Emu got him.

Stewart Kennedy let in five in 1975; never played for Scotland again.

Everyone remembers the 3-2 win at Wembley in '67 - Bobby Brown's first game as team manager. Four years later I mind the whole of Wembley echoing to "If you hate Bobby Brown clap your hands" as Scotland went down 3-1. Brown was sacked and later came out of hiding and became a scout for Plymouth Argyle. About the only place in the UK he was safe, I'd guess.

Those games mattered in those days - they mattered far too much.

Nowadays we're less hysterical about the game, more sensible - I don't see Wee Gogs being punted off to Outer Mongolia over this one result - and truth told, it's not that important to me which bunch of Englishmen wins the game - the ones in white or the ones in blue.

I'd far rather see the team qualify for the Euro finals.

Though I'd still find it hard to get really enthused.

Bad Martini
19-11-2014, 12:11 PM
So far so good it's all relevant to me :-)

English ******* :greengrin

Fair dues. You get that one for free. As someone noted, we no longer care about beating the wee team doon the road, thats why we let you win. You'd only greet if we didnt.

Just delighted nobody crocked Raheem or we'd be uber feked with the ever injured Sturridge out AGAIN!

And, yer still an English get :greengrin:aok:

ENDOF :na na: