PDA

View Full Version : Player skills/abilities

eastcoasthibby
17-11-2014, 09:00 PM
I have said similar to this before, probably in the latter end of the Fenlon era but it continues to frustrate and concern me that I see little development in some of the basic skills and abilities of a number of our players particularly those that have been there for a few years.
The first touch of Cummings, Handling, Craig, Harris, Robertson, in particular are far too often poor ending up 3/4 yards away from them and normally taking us backwards.
The passing over any sort of distance 15-20 yards is too often either behind the player or lacking pace, to get it there quicker and both instances slows what we do down.
Crossing far too many, crosses are either played in hopefully to a general area or don't get past the first defender, or played in too late letting defenders get back in a steadying themselves.
One footed players, I don't think I have ever at anytime, in either playing or watching, seen so many players in a team that are so one footed, Stevenson, Craig, Robertson, Cummings, Harris, Stanton, Kennedy, Handling ...with Stevenson and Craig being absolutely ridiculous in the time it takes them to get adjusted to get the ball onto their left foot ...
I realise the new management team are not in that long, and am sure they will try to address this, but the responsibility lies with players to work on and develop themselves.
I watch with interest and note there is a distinctly better quality about these skills from the players that have been brought in, which for me highlights the fact that our new players are the better performers in the team and those still with us are giving us nothing much more than what we saw last year.
The players need to work harder at their skills most are young enough to learn and develop but need to get their heads into the fact that they haven't made it in football yet !! as some seem to think ...at 19, 20, 21, there is still lots of learning ahead but they need to work at it....all IMHO

J-C
18-11-2014, 08:33 AM
I have said similar to this before, probably in the latter end of the Fenlon era but it continues to frustrate and concern me that I see little development in some of the basic skills and abilities of a number of our players particularly those that have been there for a few years.
The first touch of Cummings, Handling, Craig, Harris, Robertson, in particular are far too often poor ending up 3/4 yards away from them and normally taking us backwards.
The passing over any sort of distance 15-20 yards is too often either behind the player or lacking pace, to get it there quicker and both instances slows what we do down.
Crossing far too many, crosses are either played in hopefully to a general area or don't get past the first defender, or played in too late letting defenders get back in a steadying themselves.
One footed players, I don't think I have ever at anytime, in either playing or watching, seen so many players in a team that are so one footed, Stevenson, Craig, Robertson, Cummings, Harris, Stanton, Kennedy, Handling ...with Stevenson and Craig being absolutely ridiculous in the time it takes them to get adjusted to get the ball onto their left foot ...
I realise the new management team are not in that long, and am sure they will try to address this, but the responsibility lies with players to work on and develop themselves.
I watch with interest and note there is a distinctly better quality about these skills from the players that have been brought in, which for me highlights the fact that our new players are the better performers in the team and those still with us are giving us nothing much more than what we saw last year.
The players need to work harder at their skills most are young enough to learn and develop but need to get their heads into the fact that they haven't made it in football yet !! as some seem to think ...at 19, 20, 21, there is still lots of learning ahead but they need to work at it....all IMHO

I would disagree re Harris, Stanton and Handling who all are equally adept at playing with either foot, being one footed isn't going to make a worse player, just look at Maradonna, Messi etc and even Stephen Fletcher. I must admit I was impressed with Allan on saturday, he killed the ball stone dead a few times with his 1st touch, also add McGeouch to that. I don't think it's their 1st touch that's the problem and more to do with their composure, they're all too quick to try and get rid of the ball and pass it on, instead of holdin on and looking for the best options, again look at Allan, he seems to have loads of time on the ball, head up looking for the best pass.

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2014, 09:38 AM
I would disagree re Harris, Stanton and Handling who all are equally adept at playing with either foot, being one footed isn't going to make a worse player, just look at Maradonna, Messi etc and even Stephen Fletcher. I must admit I was impressed with Allan on saturday, he killed the ball stone dead a few times with his 1st touch, also add McGeouch to that. I don't think it's their 1st touch that's the problem and more to do with their composure, they're all too quick to try and get rid of the ball and pass it on, instead of holdin on and looking for the best options, again look at Allan, he seems to have loads of time on the ball, head up looking for the best pass.

Agree re the passing, even sometimes when we play across our back four the ball is played behind the player it's intended for.

jacomo
18-11-2014, 04:51 PM
From what we've heard from EM open day etc, Stubbs was pretty horrified at the standard of coaching when he arrived and big changes have been put in place.

Hopefully means that new recruits will come in knowing from day 1 that expectation levels have risen and they need to raise their game accordingly.

ancient hibee
18-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Coaching will not improve ability to control the ball-they have to be able to do that at primary school age.What coaching will do is improve their ability to be part of a team and take responsibility and form combinations and to learn to pick out the right pass.

c31
18-11-2014, 05:05 PM
It's for these reasons we are in the 1st division and will probibilty stay there unless major investment is made in the team.