PDA

View Full Version : Handling scotland call up

oconnors_strip
16-11-2014, 08:45 PM
I see Danny has been called in to the scotland under 21 squad for their game this week

Well done :thumbsup:

Winston Ingram
16-11-2014, 08:48 PM
That's up there wi Calum Paterson's call up:confused:

oconnors_strip
16-11-2014, 08:51 PM

It won't be only based on his first team performances, the scotland coaches have seen the hard work and decent games he has had for the under 20 team.

I ddint start this thread for people to bash him

Billy Whizz
16-11-2014, 08:55 PM

Good for you, we have a lot of a*** holes on here

Might give him a confidence boost

H18Y GW
16-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Good for you, we have a lot of a*** holes on here

Might give him a confidence boost
A

And a good few realists also

Golden Bear
16-11-2014, 09:03 PM
It won't be only based on his first team performances, the scotland coaches have seen the hard work and decent games he has had for the under 20 team.

Very well said.

Billy Whizz
16-11-2014, 09:04 PM
A

And a good few realists also

So a young Hibs player gets called up for Scotland, and we have a go at him!

oconnors_strip
16-11-2014, 09:09 PM

Exactly! And we moan that hearts players are getting called up

I really do give up at times

Hibby Bairn
16-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Well done Danny Handling. Good recognition of progress in his young career.

truehibernian
16-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Delighted for him - great young player afforded no patience by many.

gillythehibby
16-11-2014, 09:47 PM
One of our own gets a Scotland call up and somebody replies to the post and mentions a hertz player. Really??? Who gives a fk abut that manky mob or their players. Well done Danny.

TheFamous1875
16-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Well done, Danny - a talented young Hibs player who, like all of our players, needs our full support.

PatHead
16-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Well done Danny

AlbertK86
16-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Well done Danny

Played very well against gers and was superb at Livi

Winston Ingram
16-11-2014, 10:39 PM
One of our own gets a Scotland call up and somebody replies to the post and mentions a hertz player. Really??? Who gives a fk abut that manky mob or their players. Well done Danny.

Couldn't care who Paterson played for. Paterson is ***** and didn't deserve a call up

Northernhibee
17-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Well done Danny - do us proud :flag:

andrew70
17-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Well deserved. Player with bags of ability. Never quite got going yesterday but neither did many of the players. We don't half beat ourselves up at times. Let's just enjoy Hibs players getting an international call up no matter what level.

H18Y GW
17-11-2014, 07:13 AM

Im not having a go at Him,most of us earn what we get,without stating individual games,(ive seen 2 mentioned tbh) has he done enough to warrant this..

For me its No,if he plays well every week id advocate him for it every time,im certain most giving it "well done Danny" were not thinking watching him v Cowdenbeath and the QOTS at ER,"Wow thats Scotland form".

Im all for progress but blind progress isnt helpful,im sure Harris is at home now saying"Why him,why not me":aok:

Golden Bear
17-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Im not having a go at Him,most of us earn what we get,without stating individual games,(ive seen 2 mentioned tbh) has he done enough to warrant this..

For me its No,if he plays well every week id advocate him for it every time,im certain most giving it "well done Danny" were not thinking watching him v Cowdenbeath and the QOTS at ER,"Wow thats Scotland form".

Im all for progress but blind progress isnt helpful,im sure Harris is at home now saying"Why him,why not me":aok:

Encouragement and congratulations will always be appreciated and if nothing of a positive nature can be said then sometimes it's best to say nowt.

And I'm sure Danny will agree.

emerald green
17-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Well said. :top marks

whiskyhibby
17-11-2014, 10:18 AM

well said ! :aok:

NorthNorfolkHFC
17-11-2014, 10:40 AM

No.

Whilst its great for Danny to be called up its pretty confusing as his form doesnt suggest he deserves one thats all. Just because he plays for Hibs doesnt mean he's exempt from a bit of a critique.

As for the confidence, why are all players at Hibs so low in confidence that they need constant praise to boost this? strange

hibs0666
17-11-2014, 11:08 AM

Why knock one of your own?

marinello59
17-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Why knock one of your own?

Because for some it's easier to be mean spirited than offer congratulations.

bingo70
17-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Because for some it's easier to be mean spirited than offer congratulations.

Don't see the problem in it Tbh. The purpose of this forum is to allow folk to give their opinions.

I am pleased for handling and I wish him well, I'm pretty shocked he's got the call up though as I don't think he's very good.

Just because he's one of our own doesn't mean he's not open to criticism when he's not been playing well.

H18Y GW
17-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Encouragement and congratulations will always be appreciated and if nothing of a positive nature can be said then sometimes it's best to say nowt.

And I'm sure Danny will agree.

So this is a forum for positive posts only ..

Ok let's shut it down !!!!!

Brightside
17-11-2014, 01:43 PM
best just ignore his performances for the u20s eh....or maybe there is yet another coach that thinks he's a talented young player :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
17-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Obviously been selected on his form for the U20's just wish he could transfer it to the first team. Well done Danny keep it going.

MWHIBBIES
17-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Actually think he has done well for the first team and we have improved a lot since he came in and started playing behind the forwards. One poor performance doesn't change that and I'm glad Billy Stark has recognized that.

PeterboroHibee
17-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Im happy for him, but I wish he could translate whatever he does for our U20s/Scotland U21s into first team games for Hibs. I cant think of more than a handful of games at best where hes really shown us the player hes meant to be. I genuinely hope he comes good for us, but he needs to start putting his mark on more games rather than letting them pass him by.

bruno
17-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Actually think he has done well for the first team and we have improved a lot since he came in and started playing behind the forwards. One poor performance doesn't change that and I'm glad Billy Stark has recognized that.

Maybe it has been a change in manager. Billy Stark is no longer.

Ricky Sbragia is now in charge

brog
17-11-2014, 04:00 PM
No.

Whilst its great for Danny to be called up its pretty confusing as his form doesnt suggest he deserves one thats all. Just because he plays for Hibs doesnt mean he's exempt from a bit of a critique.

As for the confidence, why are all players at Hibs so low in confidence that they need constant praise to boost this? strange

Have you seen our u21 squad? It's full of players who've never started a 1st team game for their club. On that basis alone Danny's well worth his place.

S4uzee
17-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Its almost as bad as the 4 year deal :duck:

lord bunberry
17-11-2014, 05:31 PM
I like Danny, he's been a bit in and out as far as performances in the first team, but he's the only goal scoring midfielder we've got.

Baldy
17-11-2014, 05:40 PM
I like Danny, he's been a bit in and out as far as performances in the first team, but he's the only goal scoring midfielder we've got.

is that with his huge goalscoring tally of 4 goals in his 52 appearances for the first team?

JimBHibees
17-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Well done Danny. The kid has talent however needs to show it a bit more and impose himself on games better.

We really love to slate our own players.

lord bunberry
17-11-2014, 05:53 PM
is that with his huge goalscoring tally of 4 goals in his 52 appearances for the first team?

He's the only midfielder who looks like scoring.

BoomtownHibees
17-11-2014, 06:02 PM

When?

Wilson
17-11-2014, 06:08 PM
When?

Saturday night.

lord bunberry
17-11-2014, 06:10 PM
When?

He scored against the rangers and Livingston. We need goals from midfield and Danny is the most likely to get them imo.

PeterboroHibee
17-11-2014, 06:12 PM

He isnt though. For someone who plays in an advanced position his scoring rate is very poor (his spell at Berwick Rangers aside). 4 goals in 50 games and you say hes the only goal scoring midfielder weve got?

lord bunberry
17-11-2014, 06:13 PM
He isnt though. For someone who plays in an advanced position his scoring rate is very poor (his spell at Berwick Rangers aside). 4 goals in 50 games and you say hes the only goal scoring midfielder weve got?

He's only started 25 games. Who else would you say is more likely to get us goals from midfield?

Winston Ingram
17-11-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm surprised at people being surprised at the questioning of Handling's call up.

If people choose to get offended when posters are a bit taken a back when a player who's performances have been poor gets international recognition for those poor performances then that's up to them.

He's had 2 decent games all season.

ekhibee
17-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Sadly, just because he's a Hibs player doesn't make him good, or unlucky etc. Unfortunately I do agree with the poster who said it's right up there with his new 4 year contract, I can't for the life of me see what he's done to earn either. Still, if it helps to give him a bit of confidence then it's well worth it, and there have been wee flashes of ability here and there. His scoring ratio isn't very good, but maybe this will give him the lift he needs to kick on.

brog
17-11-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm surprised at people being surprised at the questioning of Handling's call up.

If people choose to get offended when posters are a bit taken a back when a player who's performances have been poor gets international recognition for those poor performances then that's up to them.

He's had 2 decent games all season.

My point was our squad had guys from, IIRC, Reading, Norwich, Swansea, The Rangers, Celtc, none of whom had ever kicked a ball for their first team yet there were no complaints on this forum re their selection. Instead a Hibs player gets called up & Hibs fans queue up to say he's not good enough. I think it's understandable that some of us are offended by those actions.

BoomtownHibees
17-11-2014, 06:50 PM
My point was our squad had guys from, IIRC, Reading, Norwich, Swansea, The Rangers, Celtc, none of whom had ever kicked a ball for their first team yet there were no complaints on this forum re their selection. Instead a Hibs player gets called up & Hibs fans queue up to say he's not good enough. I think it's understandable that some of us are offended by those actions.

Or maybe nobody knows what these guys are like that play for all the teams you mention but are very aware of how good Danny is

PeterboroHibee
17-11-2014, 06:52 PM
He's only started 25 games. Who else would you say is more likely to get us goals from midfield?

I dont think any of our midfielders offer much of a threat in front of goal, including Handling.

BoomtownHibees
17-11-2014, 06:54 PM
I dont think any of our midfielders offer much of a threat in front of goal, including Handling.

Correct. Little to no goal contribution from our midfield has been one of our biggest problems over the last few years

SunshineOnLeith
17-11-2014, 07:00 PM
He's always done quite well for the Scotland age group teams, would think that's as much behind this call up as his Hibs form.

PPZPOL
17-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Well done Danny. The kid has talent however needs to show it a bit more and impose himself on games better.

We really love to slate our own players.

You've hit the nail on the head though, he NEEDS to impose himself more and take more ownership. The fact he's had another u21 call up and the boost from a 4 yr contract underlines that even more, he should be walking 10 feet tall and letting teams worry about him. Scott Allan for example demands the ball under any circumstances on the park because he has confidence in his own ability. When he gives it away, he then goes and gets on ball again and never hides, a couple of boo's/shouts from crowd don't bother him as he knows he'll produce something if he keeps getting on it. DannyH seems to be happy with being a 6/10 in every game he plays rather than striving for more. He's seems happy (I'm not saying he is - but gives some fans the impression) to do the really simple stuff. Once on Saturday in a First half the ball was played into him, he turned smartly and rolled a great ball around the defender and Cummings was in. That needs to happen more often, thought it might be a watershed moment but he didn't really kick on after it.

Some folk saying Harris, Handling, Kennedy, Stanton etc need to do more aren't saying they are garbage...they are saying they need to do more when in the team otherwise they should be out team simple as that. Young or not they are playing in a league where they need to develop a thicker skin.

Winston Ingram
17-11-2014, 07:08 PM

It's quite logical that no one on here would complain as it's unlikely many have seen them play.

Just as it's logical that we have seen Danny play, hence the queue saying he's not good enough.

It's also the same reason that there were no threads expressing their surprise at his exclusion from the original squad

lord bunberry
17-11-2014, 08:17 PM

Handling is still young and inexperienced, he's shown in flashes (the falkirk semi and at ibrox) that he's got lots of ability. If that talent can be nurtured then he could become the player we all hope. Stubbs must be seeing something in him to offer him such a long deal.

Scouse Hibee
17-11-2014, 08:27 PM
In my opinion Handling is simply not good enough to make the grade as a top player, people talk about his youth and potential, how long does this honeymoon period last. If you're good enough you're old enough and based on what I've seen he isn't. He may well establish himself in a mediocre Hibs team and stay there but I very much doubt it. I will continue to give him my full support whenever he pulls on a Hibs shirt but as for him becoming a much better player I just don't see it. Stubbs does and he knows more than me so we'll have to wait and see.

lord bunberry
17-11-2014, 08:32 PM
In my opinion Handling is simply not good enough to make the grade as a top player, people talk about his youth and potential, how long does this honeymoon period last. If you're good enough you're old enough and based on what I've seen he isn't. He may well establish himself in a mediocre Hibs team and stay there but I very much doubt it. I will continue to give him my full support whenever he pulls on a Hibs shirt but as for him becoming a much better player I just don't see it. Stubbs does and he knows more than me so we'll have to wait and see.

I know what you're saying but would you agree that he has put in a few exceptional performances, one of which was this season? He's got more talent than most of our youngsters, he just can't seem to find any consistency.

Scouse Hibee
17-11-2014, 08:35 PM
I know what you're saying but would you agree that he has put in a few exceptional performances, one of which was this season? He's got more talent than most of our youngsters, he just can't seem to find any consistency.

The big key is consistency, many a player have been able to show the odd flash of brilliance including Danny so yes I do agree.

PeterboroHibee
17-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Handling is still young and inexperienced, he's shown in flashes (the falkirk semi and at ibrox) that he's got lots of ability. If that talent can be nurtured then he could become the player we all hope. Stubbs must be seeing something in him to offer him such a long deal.

I keep reading that hes got lots of ability, but I cant help but feel we are still waiting on him to show that in a Hibs shirt, 50 appearances on. Theres been some good performances granted, but theres been far more games where hes been anonymous. Its easy to say he just needs to find the consistency, but thats a huge part of being a footballer.

As Ive said, I hope he improves and Id be delighted if he became a mainstay in the first team. Quite a few of the younger guys are in the same position at the moment of showing they can cut it at Hibs long term.

macd123
17-11-2014, 08:59 PM
It's quite logical that no one on here would complain as it's unlikely many have seen them play.

Just as it's logical that we have seen Danny play, hence the queue saying he's not good enough.

It's also the same reason that there were no threads expressing their surprise at his exclusion from the original squad

How do you know he isn't good enough if you haven't seen anyone else in the squad play? We are talking scotland under 21s not the english premiership.

Does anyone remember scott brown's early days? Ran about like headless chicken!

portycabbage
17-11-2014, 09:28 PM
How do you know he isn't good enough if you haven't seen anyone else in the squad play? We are talking scotland under 21s not the english premiership.

And Cristiano Ronaldo used to do stepovers with no end product!

I think Handling could do with influencing games more, but has shown some ability (maybe not quite Ronaldo though!). He's supposed to be a striker, but hasn't played much there - but I'm not sure I would drop Cummings to play Handling with Farid/Malonga.

Scouse Hibee
17-11-2014, 10:22 PM

Football folk know best.

Winston Ingram
17-11-2014, 10:41 PM

I can safely say that he's not good enough as he very rarely performs well.

sesoim
17-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Delighted for him - great young player afforded no patience by many.

Are you kidding? We are playing the 2nd tier and he still does next to nothing in most games.

sesoim
17-11-2014, 11:10 PM
best just ignore his performances for the u20s eh....or maybe there is yet another coach that thinks he's a talented young player :rolleyes:

If he is so talented, surely he should be ripping Scottish 2nd tier defenses apart by now? And how do you know these coaches are any good at their job? Have any of them done jobs where their abilities can be measured, ie successfully managing teams and getting results? Billy Stark got the Scotland U21 job after failing dismally with teams like St Johnstone.

We need every player to stand up and be counted and Handling has failed to do so on too many occasions now.

Crammond Hibee
17-11-2014, 11:45 PM
If he is so talented, surely he should be ripping Scottish 2nd tier defenses apart by now? And how do you know these coaches are any good at their job? Have any of them done jobs where their abilities can be measured, ie successfully managing teams and getting results? Billy Stark got the Scotland U21 job after failing dismally with teams like St Johnstone.

We need every player to stand up and be counted and Handling has failed to do so on too many occasions now.

Danny will become a very good Hibs player in my opinion

macd123
18-11-2014, 12:44 AM
Football folk know best.

If you knew anything about football you would support Everton :agree:

MWHIBBIES
18-11-2014, 06:20 AM
Maybe it has been a change in manager. Billy Stark is no longer.

Ricky Sbragia is now in chargeAh, my mistake.

hibee-boys
18-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Well done on the Scotland call up but I'm afraid I've yet to see him produce very much that proves to me he'll be anything other than a journeyman pro. He'll be 21 at the beginning of next year, how long are we supposed to wait for our 'youngsters' to mature and find their game? The golden generation were mostly all showing at least glimpses of great things to come by his age, I've seen very little to suggest he'll go onto bigger and better things.

On a side note, how can teenagers at other Scottish clubs be forcing their way and stamping their authority in the first team but we've got to wait for our kids to reach their early 20's to realise their potential? Bottom line, if their talented enough they'd be in the side, no matter their age. The fact that none of the current crop have been able to force their way into the team says it all. I'd love for Danny, Harris and Stanton to prove me wrong but I very much doubt it.

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2014, 08:12 AM
If you knew anything about football you would support Everton :agree:

Yes I know, how could I have missed their success!

brog
18-11-2014, 12:14 PM

My point exactly. How can anyone say Danny H isn't good enough for a squad when they have no idea of the quality of that squad? My main point of principle though is why do Hibs fans rush into print to criticise Hibs players who have just been honoured for their country. IMO it's bizarre!

GreenArmy1875
18-11-2014, 12:31 PM
What is wrong with a player doing the simple things well?

Onceinawhile
18-11-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm surprised the zing king didn't get called up tbh. Well done Danny, hopefully it transfers to domestic form.

Unseen work
18-11-2014, 01:09 PM
we have seen alot of positive signs this season from danny and he has had some brilliant performances. He is young and will be inconsistent some games, i say inconsistent but its more hes quiet some games than poor, he needs to be getting the ball and that also depends on the playersd around him.

People are going on about the hearts crop but outwith nicholson i dont think the others are that great, king mcghee etc are all poor and i see alot more potential and ability in our youngsters.

Agree jason cummings should 100% be in the u21s squad

jacomo
18-11-2014, 05:47 PM

One of football's favourite cliches. Like most cliches, it contains an element of truth and also over simplifies things. Some footballers are great as teenagers, some don't realise their potential until later. Growing up is not an exact science.

I remember people on here saying Steven Fletcher would never amount to anything, based on his performances as an 18 year old. Lots of coaches think Handling has potential and he's on a long term contract... let's give him some encouragement.

B.H.F.C
18-11-2014, 05:52 PM
What is wrong with a player doing the simple things well?

Nothing wrong with it. But at the moment we need players, particularly in the position Handling plays, to do more than just the simple things. That's the difference between winning and drawing. And draws are killing us at the moment.

cameronw-hfc
18-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Danny does the simple things well, I think the fact that he was said to he a forward has made people expect him to be a goal scorer, or do something brilliant, but I think Danny would suit the role Craig has tried to play the last few months as he is a player who will do the simple things right. However whether the fans have the patience for a simple player at the club right now I don't know, but I think he would be brilliant there.

Billy Whizz
18-11-2014, 06:05 PM
On the bench tonight

truehibernian
18-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Are you kidding? We are playing the 2nd tier and he still does next to nothing in most games.

Not kidding at all - I've watched him for a good while at all levels. He's a talented player, intelligent, works well off the ball - what you mist realise is that these young players have been introduced into very poor Hibs sides, sides which have been desperately uncreative and bereft of pace and drive. The club has been low, fans have been low, results at home terrible, and our 'experienced players' woeful in lifting the side. Add into the football mix the fact we have had ridiculous amounts of loan players and Danny, Alex and Jordon all being asked to play different positions they have been coached playing.

Hibernian FC has been a quite awful environment (football wise) for young players to be introduced - Mowbray and Venus (and to be fair Williamson) had a great way of introducing players into the side, giving them confidence, surrounding them with positivity and good older heads. But they also had days up at Inverness, away to Killie, etc where Derek, GOC, Brown had mares........but the whole personality of the club back then was as is being created now by Stubbs......one of positivity and allowing individuals to express themselves. Difficult to do when players have been so so used to being lambasted, and have been relegated so early into their careers.

There has to be some leeway given to Danny and Alex - it really angers me the fact fans are not really supporting them. I know they have talent, I know they will succeed and show it - but they need all our support, positive support.

brog
18-11-2014, 07:25 PM
On the bench tonight

I only saw last 15 mins but Danny was on then, in a left forwardish mid role. Hit one great ball that should have brought a goal but was involved in our equaliser ( 1-1 ) in 92d minute! Congrats to Danny.

Billy Whizz
18-11-2014, 07:26 PM
I only saw last 15 mins but Danny was on then, in a left forwardish mid role. Hit one great ball that should have brought a goal but was involved in our equaliser ( 1-1 ) in 92d minute! Congrats to Danny.

Great news that we got a draw and Danny contributed to the equaliser. I couldn't get the live link to work

brog
18-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Great news that we got a draw and Danny contributed to the equaliser. I couldn't get the live link to work

I couldn't get it on my ipad but managed on my old box computer, technology huh!

macd123
19-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Not kidding at all - I've watched him for a good while at all levels. He's a talented player, intelligent, works well off the ball - what you mist realise is that these young players have been introduced into very poor Hibs sides, sides which have been desperately uncreative and bereft of pace and drive. The club has been low, fans have been low, results at home terrible, and our 'experienced players' woeful in lifting the side. Add into the football mix the fact we have had ridiculous amounts of loan players and Danny, Alex and Jordon all being asked to play different positions they have been coached playing.

Hibernian FC has been a quite awful environment (football wise) for young players to be introduced - Mowbray and Venus (and to be fair Williamson) had a great way of introducing players into the side, giving them confidence, surrounding them with positivity and good older heads. But they also had days up at Inverness, away to Killie, etc where Derek, GOC, Brown had mares........but the whole personality of the club back then was as is being created now by Stubbs......one of positivity and allowing individuals to express themselves. Difficult to do when players have been so so used to being lambasted, and have been relegated so early into their careers.

There has to be some leeway given to Danny and Alex - it really angers me the fact fans are not really supporting them. I know they have talent, I know they will succeed and show it - but they need all our support, positive support.

Good post, sums it up perfectly. The problem we have is our senior players not the young guys. Who exactly have we had as mentors? Paul cairney or rowan vine? Craig or robertson or maybe heff?