PDA

View Full Version : Chest infection.

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Has anyone else had it, i and a few of my mates have been floored with it. Had the antibiotics but still coughing up **** into the 2nd week.

My stomach hurts with all the coughing, and thumping headaches from the coughing all day. Is there anything i should be doing on top of taking the paracetamol and drinking lots of fluids? :grr:

PS i have stocked up with walnuts. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
16-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Pop an extra couple of pillows under your head at night and a bit steam inhalation to thin down mucus and phlegm will help.

Other than that, taking antibiotics and resting there's not a lot you can do.

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Pop an extra couple of pillows under your head at night and a bit steam inhalation to thin down mucus and phlegm will help.

Other than that, taking antibiotics and resting there's not a lot you can do.

:aok: Not slept a lot recently for all the wheezing and coughing that seems to get worse the minute i go to bed.

Hibrandenburg
16-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Spit out what you cough up and drink plenty of fluids. Paracetamol before bed helps sleep,relieves pain and keeps your temperature down. Like PB says try and elevate your upper body so that any fluids in the lungs have less surface area they can cover which helps you breath easier.

Don't smoke!

heretoday
20-11-2014, 07:56 PM
It's a flu-type virus. Plenty of liquids. Chicken noodle soup. Lemon tea if you can stand it. Keep warm. No medicine.

over the line
20-11-2014, 11:34 PM
Hot toddys, flu capsules and borrow an inhaler off an astmatic (my wife in my case) , really does take the edge off it for me.

easty
21-11-2014, 06:43 AM
I've got it too, it's horrible. I spend the first 20 mins I'm walking my dog in the morning coughing up and spitting out.

Convonia are great for a 15 min respite, but the box says you shouldn't take more than 10 a day.

R'Albin
21-11-2014, 07:34 AM
I've found that filling a bowl with boiling water, then leaning over it with a tea towel over my head works well before bed.

heretoday
21-11-2014, 09:12 AM
I've found that filling a bowl with boiling water, then leaning over it with a tea towel over my head works well before bed.

It's an old remedy but it's really the only one that works to clear the chest. A couple of drops of Olbas help too.

There are no quick fixes for this virus.

snooky
25-11-2014, 11:25 AM

My mother was doing that years ago with the bowl on her lap (duh!).
Some of the boiling water tipped out onto her thigh. She jumped up and splashed my young sister with the boiling water causing a big blister on her leg.
So, be careful - be VERY careful.

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2014, 03:13 PM
The infection has gone, that went a couple of weeks ago, but i still have a terrible cough and have been through so many cough bottles.

Today is slightly better, but eating jakeman cough sweets as if they are going out of fashion. My stomach muscles are battered to death through the coughing, but hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel now. :pray:

over the line
26-11-2014, 03:34 PM
The infection has gone, that went a couple of weeks ago, but i still have a terrible cough and have been through so many cough bottles.

Today is slightly better, but eating jakeman cough sweets as if they are going out of fashion. My stomach muscles are battered to death through the coughing, but hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel now. :pray:

I had an annoying lingering cough the other week and using my wifes astma inhaler twice a day for about 10 days, sorted me right out.

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2014, 03:37 PM
I had an annoying lingering cough the other week and using my wifes astma inhaler twice a day for about 10 days, sorted me right out.

Can you buy these in the chemist or do they need to be prescribed?

over the line
26-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Can you buy these in the chemist or do they need to be prescribed?

My wifes one is prescribed, not sure if you can just buy them though. The doc may even prescribe you one, worth a try because they definitely work.

Jay
26-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Cough bottles do nothing for you, total waste of money. Inhalers have to be prescribed. It might be worth another check up at the docs, you may need a course of steroids or more antibiotics, even a steroid inhaler but chances are it's just going to take time. Inhaling steam opens up,the passages and helps with the breathing. Maybe a drop of some essential oil would help but you'd need to go to boots or holland and Barrett to find out which ones suitable.

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Cough bottles do nothing for you, total waste of money. Inhalers have to be prescribed. It might be worth another check up at the docs, you may need a course of steroids or more antibiotics, even a steroid inhaler but chances are it's just going to take time. Inhaling steam opens up,the passages and helps with the breathing. Maybe a drop of some essential oil would help but you'd need to go to boots or holland and Barrett to find out which ones suitable.

:aok: I think another visit to the doctor is needed.

Jay
26-11-2014, 04:46 PM
I hasten to add a part from eucalyptus or olbas oil I'm not sure many are for inhalation, most just go in a warmer with some water sitting nearby.

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2014, 01:04 PM
This cough i still have is killing me, this is 5 weeks in and i'm still coughing all the bloody time. My mate who gave me this virus is exactly the same but one week longer. Is anyone else suffering this and how long? :boo hoo:

Hibrandenburg
18-01-2015, 07:47 AM
This cough i still have is killing me, this is 5 weeks in and i'm still coughing all the bloody time. My mate who gave me this virus is exactly the same but one week longer. Is anyone else suffering this and how long? :boo hoo:

Must be a computer virus coz you've infected me yah bugger! 3 weeks and counting, coughing fits that lead to vomiting fits because the gunge is like heavy duty wallpaper paste. On the plus side it's Hibs green.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Must be a computer virus coz you've infected me yah bugger! 3 weeks and counting, coughing fits that lead to vomiting fits because the gunge is like heavy duty wallpaper paste. On the plus side it's Hibs green.

:greengrin I have it again or maybe it never really left? Another course of antibiotics going into the blood stream, like you i again have the green wallpaper paste coming up and such a sore stomach with straining my muscles :wink: coughing.

Fed up. :rolleyes:

Hibrandenburg
19-01-2015, 06:17 AM
:greengrin I have it again or maybe it never really left? Another course of antibiotics going into the blood stream, like you i again have the green wallpaper paste coming up and such a sore stomach with straining my muscles :wink: coughing.

Fed up. :rolleyes:

Have you been tested for TB?

Peevemor
19-01-2015, 06:33 AM

Worst manager ever.

Hibrandenburg
19-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Worst manager ever.

Hard to get rid of too!

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2015, 07:18 AM

My doctor says its just an infection but funny you should mention TB, a friend of mine got this last summer and i was in his company a couple of times after he knew.

There is a period of time when he's supposed to keep away from folk, which he did.

But you never know?

I'm going to speak to the doctor about this, as i never even thought to mention this when i have seen him in the past few weeks. :aok:

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2015, 02:18 PM

Rang the doctor this morning and got in to see her at 10.30, with you mentioning TB i thought it best to tell her about my friend.

She did a lot of tests and said there's no TB :greengrin Its an infection and hopefully the antibiotics will clear it soon. :pray:

Hibrandenburg
20-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Rang the doctor this morning and got in to see her at 10.30, with you mentioning TB i thought it best to tell her about my friend.

She did a lot of tests and said there's no TB :greengrin Its an infection and hopefully the antibiotics will clear it soon. :pray:

:thumbsup:

Better safe than sorry BH. TB is making a comeback and the UK is high up the league table for confirmed cases amongst first world nations.

hibbymick
20-01-2015, 09:39 PM

You had your latex suit on again :cb

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2015, 07:59 PM
You had your latex suit on again :cb

Wore it last night well someone needed to, went to watch Queen in Manchester and with Freddie not being there...............