PDA

View Full Version : Stanton.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Thought Sam looked a bit more like himself when he came on yesterday (even though it wasn't for too long) maybe it's the change of boots? :greengrin

Keep it up Sam :aok:

Albanian Hibs
16-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Disagree. I just don't think he is good enough, along with Harris.

J-C
16-11-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry but just how long are we going to give players like Satanton, Handling and Harris before we decide they just don't cut it here. Look at all the youngsters at Dundee U and at Hearts, similar age and are doing the business on a weekly basis, these lads have had numerous chances to show what they can do and apart from rare glimpses, they're just not up to it.

TheFamous1875
16-11-2014, 08:44 PM
I'm sorry but just how long are we going to give players like Satanton, Handling and Harris before we decide they just don't cut it here. Look at all the youngsters at Dundee U and at Hearts, similar age and are doing the business on a weekly basis, these lads have had numerous chances to show what they can do and apart from rare glimpses, they're just not up to it.

It's not as simple as that though, is it? These laddies at Dundee Utd and Hearts are coming into settled teams that know what they're doing (Hearts is a unique case of young players who're already familiar with one another from years of the youth teams together and coupled with some pros). Hibs have been disgruntled for many many years, with an inconsistent football model, blood baying fans and a well built up tolerance for cynicism and pessimism that has presided throughout the club for almost a decade. Dundee Utd have been a consistently successful SPL club for almost a decade and Hearts have had the impenetrable mix of cheating and luck in their favour for the last decade.

Hibs have no luck and have worked towards making mediocrity the standard during this time. And that's exactly what we have got. Harris, Handling and Stanton are not bad players. Their talent is not the problem. The problem is the negativity throughout this club that has been embedded within them from the beginning of their careers.

Look at Harris, for example: bursts on the scene as a skilful winger, breezing past players like they're not there. He has skill, touch, goals, speed and desire. Now, after being touted as Hibs' star player and the direct replacement for Leigh Griffiths at 18 years of age, he goes inside himself and loses the confidence and self belief that got him there. A year later and he's still not back and is in dire need of a loan to get to grips with his career.

Stanton is the same. He comes into a failing and soon-to-be-relegated team, shows his talents and gets touted as our star player after only a handful of games. He's seen as a disappointment for failing to live up to unrealistic expectations.

Handling's not really made as much impact as either of those two have, but his alleged shirking on the pitch is to be expected. These kids should be looking to role models to guide them through the beginning of their careers. They have Heffernan, Craig and Robertson, who believe it or not are meant to be improvements on some of our previous 'experienced' players. Riordan, Brown, O'Connor etc had Sauzee, Latapy Mixu, Jack, O'Neil and Laursen etc to set the barometer - who do our kids have nowadays?

These kids' 'failures' in stepping up to the plate is not nearly entirely their fault. It is the fault of the mediocre and complacent leadership of this one great club that has led us to where we are today: play-off hopefuls in the first division struggling to get valuable points from QOTS, Raith Rovers, Dumbarton, et al.

J-C
17-11-2014, 08:28 AM
It's not as simple as that though, is it? These laddies at Dundee Utd and Hearts are coming into settled teams that know what they're doing (Hearts is a unique case of young players who're already familiar with one another from years of the youth teams together and coupled with some pros). Hibs have been disgruntled for many many years, with an inconsistent football model, blood baying fans and a well built up tolerance for cynicism and pessimism that has presided throughout the club for almost a decade. Dundee Utd have been a consistently successful SPL club for almost a decade and Hearts have had the impenetrable mix of cheating and luck in their favour for the last decade.

Hibs have no luck and have worked towards making mediocrity the standard during this time. And that's exactly what we have got. Harris, Handling and Stanton are not bad players. Their talent is not the problem. The problem is the negativity throughout this club that has been embedded within them from the beginning of their careers.

Look at Harris, for example: bursts on the scene as a skilful winger, breezing past players like they're not there. He has skill, touch, goals, speed and desire. Now, after being touted as Hibs' star player and the direct replacement for Leigh Griffiths at 18 years of age, he goes inside himself and loses the confidence and self belief that got him there. A year later and he's still not back and is in dire need of a loan to get to grips with his career.

Stanton is the same. He comes into a failing and soon-to-be-relegated team, shows his talents and gets touted as our star player after only a handful of games. He's seen as a disappointment for failing to live up to unrealistic expectations.

Handling's not really made as much impact as either of those two have, but his alleged shirking on the pitch is to be expected. These kids should be looking to role models to guide them through the beginning of their careers. They have Heffernan, Craig and Robertson, who believe it or not are meant to be improvements on some of our previous 'experienced' players. Riordan, Brown, O'Connor etc had Sauzee, Latapy Mixu, Jack, O'Neil and Laursen etc to set the barometer - who do our kids have nowadays?

These kids' 'failures' in stepping up to the plate is not nearly entirely their fault. It is the fault of the mediocre and complacent leadership of this one great club that has led us to where we are today: play-off hopefuls in the first division struggling to get valuable points from QOTS, Raith Rovers, Dumbarton, et al.

See this is where I just don't get all this molly coddling of youngsters, take Dundee U out of the equation and lets just look at Hearts. Nothing settled there, at risk of not even having a job, wages not geting paid and an uncertain future but they rolled up there sleeves and gritted their teeth and bacame a solid team. Look at them now flying high in this league undefeated and us, well we have players of a similar age who have been pampered and given every opportunity and the poor we lambs are suffering in confidence, well I'm sorry but I'm fed up with this same old sad excuse, it's time to start getting in players like Allan and McGeouch who are still fairly young but show desire and aptitude.

Andy74
17-11-2014, 09:38 AM
See this is where I just don't get all this molly coddling of youngsters, take Dundee U out of the equation and lets just look at Hearts. Nothing settled there, at risk of not even having a job, wages not geting paid and an uncertain future but they rolled up there sleeves and gritted their teeth and bacame a solid team. Look at them now flying high in this league undefeated and us, well we have players of a similar age who have been pampered and given every opportunity and the poor we lambs are suffering in confidence, well I'm sorry but I'm fed up with this same old sad excuse, it's time to start getting in players like Allan and McGeouch who are still fairly young but show desire and aptitude.

The way we have been bringing through players has been all wrong and it looks like we are now dealing with that through the changes in the academy set up.

James McDonagh got a lot of plaudits and a lot of people go and support the young team and praise the way they play and the results as if they matter but what we've forgotten is that we are supposed to be developing players ready to come into the first team.

When you look at Hearts they bring through guys that are athletes as well as having a bit of ability and certainly a far better attitude. We bring through a lot of nice players that are nearly footballers but have lots missing a lot of what's needed to drive on. Most of ours seem to think they have made it playing for our youth team and beleive they are some sort of celebrity.

I think we will get there but it will be a few years to work its way through. I can't really see many of our current lot really making much of themselves - Forster possibly. If they can't impose themselves on the Championship it doesn't say a lot.

TowerHibs
17-11-2014, 10:54 AM
The way we have been bringing through players has been all wrong and it looks like we are now dealing with that through the changes in the academy set up.

James McDonagh got a lot of plaudits and a lot of people go and support the young team and praise the way they play and the results as if they matter but what we've forgotten is that we are supposed to be developing players ready to come into the first team.

When you look at Hearts they bring through guys that are athletes as well as having a bit of ability and certainly a far better attitude. We bring through a lot of nice players that are nearly footballers but have lots missing a lot of what's needed to drive on. Most of ours seem to think they have made it playing for our youth team and beleive they are some sort of celebrity.

I think we will get there but it will be a few years to work its way through. I can't really see many of our current lot really making much of themselves - Forster possibly. If they can't impose themselves on the Championship it doesn't say a lot.
Agree 100% Andy

Good post

Seveno
17-11-2014, 12:26 PM
I would suggest that one of the reason that our young players fail to develop is the significant section of our support that gets on their backs as soon as they have a bad game.

As far as Stanton is concerned, I agrre that he had a few flashes that suggested that his form is coming back.

Pretty Boy
17-11-2014, 12:31 PM

Spot on Andy and the guys taking the visit to EM the other week said as much.

TheFamous1875
17-11-2014, 03:43 PM

Spot on. This also falls under the culture that has been propagated by those at the top who're in charge of our club. They've been complacent and negligent in regards to ensuring the best development for our youngsters, hence why they're now performing at a standard far below their capabilities and the expectations of the supporters.

I'd say that our players are a better crop than those over the road in terms of individual skill and ability, but in terms of application, desire, discipline and adhering to a basic standard set by the club (y'know, the traits that teams actually win football matches with), they're miles ahead of our crop. Collectively, they're all as hungry and hardworking and tough as each other, and our boys are as scared and intimidated and listless as each other. That's the difference. Hearts have set a minimum standard that their kids are expected to comply with, and so've we - it's just our club's standard is one of negativity and surrender.

The basics of a football player or a team should be desire, effort and fight - it should be synonymous with the club's culture from the board room to the terracing. Our club's culture is apathy, complacency, cowardice and defeatism and that only comes from the top - as with anything in life.

Ken
17-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Stanton needs to play centre mid where he can be effective. Allan and McGeough are clearly 1st choice but there is very little to choose between Craig, Robertson and Stanton. I would be up for giving Stanton another chance from the start in place of Craig next weekend