PDA

View Full Version : Not a lot has changed, just the division we play in.

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Lets be honest here, we know when we have everyone available we still come up a shade short, not much but still short, mainly because of in my opinion poor preparation at the start of the season and nowhere near enough bodies brought in who are good enough.

Its all well and good being able to match the likes of the bigot brothers, but once again like last season and the season before and the one before that, we have little creativity and not enough quality to open teams up.

This is a poor league full of poor teams of which we are one. People have gone overboard again in my opinion about how much progress we have made. We are in the bloody championship, 4th place is bordering on the minimum position we should be expecting, and being so many points off top is shocking.

Yes we have injuries, but all clubs have them. There is no excuse about how we are playing and where we are. Its just not good enough and never will be for me.

bingo70
15-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Agree, we should be pumping garbage like that today by at least 2 or 3.

Too reliant on our young players who aren't that good.

BroxburnHibee
15-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Never will be? We're still on an unbeaten run aren't we?

I wasn't there and it didn't sound good but I think there is definite improvement from what I have seen.

Maybe not today and yes the squad needs improved but I definitely believe things are getting better

Boyle89
15-11-2014, 05:56 PM
As bad as results have been this season I think we have to relax a bit. Look at today's team. Filled with teenagers and early 20s. Obviously have a lot to learn. Not saying today's result isn't dissappointing or frustrating.

Pretty Boy
15-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Agree, we should be pumping garbage like that today by at least 2 or 3.

Too reliant on our young players who aren't that good.

At the recent visit to EM, Craig Flanagan said the youngsters are about 3 to 4 years behind the standard they want our current crop of 12 and 13 year olds to be when it comes to basic motor skills, movements etc. I'm not sure if he meant those in the 1st team now or the group just below. He said it's sonething they are having to work very hard on.

That's a pretty damning verdict on the youth set up that was broken up recently that so many were so unhappy about.

Personally I'd be suprised if many of the youngsters go on to be 1st team regulars for years to come, if I had to pick 2 I'd say Cummings and Stanton might make it. Forster I think is already established.

Alfred E Newman
15-11-2014, 07:12 PM
The squad is looking pretty threadbare and underlines why we are where we are. The likes of Harris is coming in for the predictable flak but the main culprit again for me is Craig. On a day when the team was littered with youngsters and crying out for leadership, Craig was back to his usual deep hiding role. I think he tackled once in the whole game and was rightly booked.

scuttle
15-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Lets be honest here, we know when we have everyone available we still come up a shade short, not much but still short, mainly because of in my opinion poor preparation at the start of the season and nowhere near enough bodies brought in who are good enough.

Its all well and good being able to match the likes of the bigot brothers, but once again like last season and the season before and the one before that, we have little creativity and not enough quality to open teams up.

This is a poor league full of poor teams of which we are one. People have gone overboard again in my opinion about how much progress we have made. We are in the bloody championship, 4th place is bordering on the minimum position we should be expecting, and being so many points off top is shocking.

Yes we have injuries, but all clubs have them. There is no excuse about how we are playing and where we are. Its just not good enough and never will be for me.
agree with this ,and add the to the fact we are still relying on loans there is not as much progress as I would have hope for

keep the faith
15-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Rangers drew with Alloa today.
This is a tight league. QOS have been playing well. We had key players missing and we are a large scale rebuilding project.
There will be more dropped points than this but we are heading in the right direction in the longer term.
I won't be wetting the bed over today's result.

EastCalderHibby
15-11-2014, 07:44 PM
The squad is looking pretty threadbare and underlines why we are where we are. The likes of Harris is coming in for the predictable flak but the main culprit again for me is Craig. On a day when the team was littered with youngsters and crying out for leadership, Craig was back to his usual deep hiding role. I think he tackled once in the whole game and was rightly booked.

are you telling me he actually made a tackle WOW :confused: so unlike him

Sir David Gray
15-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Our lack of wins at Easter Road is terrible but that's not unique to this season.

Today was poor, there's no getting away from that. However we had Oxley, McGeouch, Malonga, El Alagui, Forster and Robertson all unavailable today.

That's six players who would otherwise be first choice in the starting line up.

Any team would struggle if you took six first team players out of their squad.

ancient hibee
15-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Queens came for a point and got it.One goal would have won it for us-there was no danger Queens would score.

Golden Bear
15-11-2014, 08:11 PM

Keep the faith auld yin! You're now the last man standing.

Alfred E Newman
15-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Keep the faith auld yin! You're now the last man standing.

I'm ageing quick enough but this lot are accelerating the process.

HFC 0-7
15-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Our lack of wins at Easter Road is terrible but that's not unique to this season.

Today was poor, there's no getting away from that. However we had Oxley, McGeouch, Malonga, El Alagui, Forster and Robertson all unavailable today.

Oxley wasnt missed, Malonga was only brought in to replace El Alagui IMO and Robertson hasnt always been first pick. So IMO, its only really 3 players that were missing.

The way we are playing now is how I would have expected us to start the season but as it happened we were even worse so this spell makes us look like we have improved to an acceptable level. We should be dominating games from start to finish in this league creating a lot of chances, instead we dominate possession with no threat and it looks comfortable for the opposition. We are miles off where we need be IMO, not a dig at Stubbs, its just where we are. Too many players blowing hot and cold IMO and everything seems like an effort, even the simple things.

My worry is if we dont get promoted and we have to cut back again.

Golden Bear
15-11-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm ageing quick enough but this lot are accelerating the process.

The Fenlon era finally finished me off as a regular attendar and once it's gone then there's always another excuse to be found for not going.

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2014, 08:26 PM

Just more excuses in my opinion, every team have injuries and how many did we have when losing to Alloa or Falkirk or drawing with bloody Dumbarton or Raith Rovers?

There's always a reason just why we keep failing, and we are always going to get better next week or is it the week after, just not at the moment. :yawn: Instead of a harp on our badge, we probably should get one of these :violin::violin::violin:

HappyAsHellas
15-11-2014, 08:48 PM
We did have several key players not available today, and I don't think we have had a full strength team out all season yet. Anyone who cannot see the improvements should really take off the blinkers. Building from scratch takes a good deal of patience, a time period when we will blow hot and cold, and have the occasional disappointment like today. Last season every team that came to ER had us under sustained pressure whereas now, we control the game and possession. If you don't see that as an improvement, I'm not sure what you're looking for.

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2014, 08:55 PM
We did have several key players not available today, and I don't think we have had a full strength team out all season yet. Anyone who cannot see the improvements should really take off the blinkers. Building from scratch takes a good deal of patience, a time period when we will blow hot and cold, and have the occasional disappointment like today. Last season every team that came to ER had us under sustained pressure whereas now, we control the game and possession. If you don't see that as an improvement, I'm not sure what you're looking for.

You do know its Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Dumbarton and Queen of the south we are playing, and we have played todays team twice and have 1 point from those games.

If we were not having sustained pressure against these teams this site would explode. We are struggling in the championship, rather than struggling in the SPL or whatever its called these days, and absolutely no chance of gaining automatic promotion.

We could as someone posted earlier face QOS in the first play off game if positions stay as they are now, thats scary.

HappyAsHellas
15-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Do you honestly think that QOS, Falkirk or Raith are so far behind the bottom premiership clubs? We looked good against Dundee Utd because they came here to win the game, and we were allowed to play football. What happened last season when Utd came here...?

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Do you honestly think that QOS, Falkirk or Raith are so far behind the bottom premiership clubs? We looked good against Dundee Utd because they came here to win the game, and we were allowed to play football. What happened last season when Utd came here...?

Calderwoods team won 3-0 at Ibrox, Fenlons team beat Dundee Utd and Celtic.

If i agree with you that these championship teams are not so far behind those teams in the bottom 6, do you then agree nothing much has changed?

The football may be being played on the floor these days, but results are still pish, and to be honest we should be winning a few more games in this division than we would be expecting to win in the SPL.

Glory Lurker
15-11-2014, 09:29 PM
It's wrong to compare ourselves to the yams and the zombies, and I think we forget this. We are in this Division for football reasons, and our footballing stock is no better than the non-yam/zombie teams. It's a journey we've been on for years. That really is way beyond not good enough.

Sir David Gray
15-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Just more excuses in my opinion, every team have injuries and how many did we have when losing to Alloa or Falkirk or drawing with bloody Dumbarton or Raith Rovers?

There's always a reason just why we keep failing, and we are always going to get better next week or is it the week after, just not at the moment. :yawn: Instead of a harp on our badge, we probably should get one of these :violin::violin::violin:

I'm not saying it's great but we have been pretty poor at Easter Road for yonks now. It's not something that's just happened in the last few months.

All I meant by my last post was that we had started to show a wee bit of form in the past month or so, so I'm not going to get too uptight about a draw against a team that's currently above us in the table, when a decent amount of first team regulars were missing.

If we're still picking up results like today's and playing like we did today, when we have a full squad to choose from, then I'll start to worry again.

emerald green
15-11-2014, 09:42 PM

Sorry that's nonsense. It was often the other way round. Hibs would press opponents, couldn't score, lose a daft goal, and it was game over.

The style of football Hibs are playing this season is better than the hoofball under Butcher. It could hardly be worse though. There has been an improvement, but to lose against, or not beat, or struggle to beat, the likes of Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers, QOS is unacceptable for a club with Hibs resources and facilities compared to theirs.

Some of these teams are part time clubs FFS. They are not Celtic, Aberdeen or Motherwell.

It's all very well seeing the positives, and there are some, but it has to be tempered with a measure of reality too.

ronaldo7
15-11-2014, 09:52 PM

That bit hits the spot this week whilst the defence against United were short. We've a long way to go and I'm sure AS would like more quality in the team as we all would. Unfortuanately we've not got time. If we get to the play offs with this squad AS will have done well. The board have not backed the manager again imo.

HappyAsHellas
15-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Some of these teams are part time clubs FFS. They are not Celtic, Aberdeen or Motherwell.

It's all very well seeing the positives, and there are some, but it has to be tempered with a measure of reality too.

I certainly see an improvement on our style of football, something I believe will bear fruit in the future as we continue to improve. That view is very much tempered with reality. We are improving defensively, I can't remember the last time I watched us being attacked and practically filled my pants, something that happened on a regular basis last season. I think the Malonga/Al Agui parternship up front will be a real handful for most teams, and the drive and ability that Allen, Gray and McGeogh have brought to the team is brilliant. I really don't see that these views are over the top, or perhaps instead of the 3 mentioned you would rather have McGivern, Taiwo and Thomson, with Collins up front. Because they really terrorised the opposition last season...........

Dav1986
15-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Oxley wasnt missed, Malonga was only brought in to replace El Alagui IMO and Robertson hasnt always been first pick. So IMO, its only really 3 players that were missing.

The way we are playing now is how I would have expected us to start the season but as it happened we were even worse so this spell makes us look like we have improved to an acceptable level. We should be dominating games from start to finish in this league creating a lot of chances, instead we dominate possession with no threat and it looks comfortable for the opposition. We are miles off where we need be IMO, not a dig at Stubbs, its just where we are. Too many players blowing hot and cold IMO and everything seems like an effort, even the simple things.

Just because malonga was brought in as a replacement for farid doesn't mean you don't count that as only missing one player. All those players you mentioned are first team players. Have played in majority of games this season so it is more than 3 players missing.

Wasn't there today as was working but sounds like we were missing that wee bit of guile and creativity required to break down a team that came and parked the bus.

Sir David Gray
15-11-2014, 10:51 PM

Malonga may have come in to replace El Alagui but they're probably our first and second choice strikers and neither of them were available for selection today.

It would have been nice to have been able to play at least one of them. The fact that it's unlikely that both of them would have played today, had they both been fit, is pretty much irrelevant.

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2014, 10:52 PM
I certainly see an improvement on our style of football, something I believe will bear fruit in the future as we continue to improve. That view is very much tempered with reality. We are improving defensively, I can't remember the last time I watched us being attacked and practically filled my pants, something that happened on a regular basis last season. I think the Malonga/Al Agui parternship up front will be a real handful for most teams, and the drive and ability that Allen, Gray and McGeogh have brought to the team is brilliant. I really don't see that these views are over the top, or perhaps instead of the 3 mentioned you would rather have McGivern, Taiwo and Thomson, with Collins up front. Because they really terrorised the opposition last season...........

We are playing against sides that are not even trying to win this season, and last season we were playing against better opposition.

Andy74
15-11-2014, 11:08 PM

Okay, so what do you want to happen?

emerald green
15-11-2014, 11:10 PM

We agree that the style of football is better now than under Butcher, but as I said before it could hardly get worse.

I note you haven't really commented on my point about Hibs inability to beat teams in this lower league, especially at home.

Improving defensively - maybe. But do you think Hibs are being put under much (or any) real pressure by some of these teams that come and sit in at ER? I thought QOS, were a disgrace today for a team sitting 3rd in the table. Our young inexperienced goalkeeper didn't have a shot worth mentioning to save today. Having said that, I felt Hanlon & Fontaine did a good job protecting him, but they were hardly stretched.

Compare that with the Dundee Utd game. DU came out and attacked us and scored 3 goals, two of which were very poor defensively IMHO. Allowing Utd to regain the lead twice within a couple of minutes after we had equalised twice. That's was poor I think.

Malonga & El Al - agreed.

Allen, Gray & McGeoch - much better than the clowns you mention, especially McGivern.

I don't think your views are OTT at all. We agree on some stuff, not everything. That shouldn't come as a surprise on a football fans forum though. :greengrin

Shields Hibee
16-11-2014, 12:26 AM
QOS weren't anything special today & looked very much out for a draw and little less. That said, our problems up front are still evident as without Malonga & El Alagui we don't have much to finish teams off.

Were looking better at the back though we aren't up against teams of quality week after week. Gray, Allen & McGeoch have been impressive but its guys like Craig who still frustrate me by doing very little when the young lads need some help. Harris at times doesn't look the player he was when he burst on the scene a few seasons back but then again he's still young.

While we are on an unbeaten run, our home form is our achillies heel, we seem to be better away and score! Play offs at the least this season but we've still a long way to go & further improvements needed.

HIBEETILLIDIE
16-11-2014, 12:29 AM
Never will be? We're still on an unbeaten run aren't we?

I wasn't there and it didn't sound good but I think there is definite improvement from what I have seen.

Maybe not today and yes the squad needs improved but I definitely believe things are getting better

yes we could be in the maybury sunday league and be unbeaten as well, although we
would need to raise our standard

i am afraid we are a rudderless ship. no passion, no direction and sometime i feel no point!

greenginger
16-11-2014, 12:45 AM
yes we could be in the maybury sunday league and be unbeaten as well, although we
would need to raise our standard

i am afraid we are a rudderless ship. no passion, no direction and sometime i feel no point!

HIBEETILLIDIE, indeed, maybe better get a new User Name :greengrin

As for Blackpool's " not nearly enough new bodies brought in at the start of the season ! " The budget is dependent on income , 8000 season tickets sold don't stretch any further.

The players brought in have been far superior to the usual chancers and we are actually trying to play football on the deck.

There can be no easy quick fix.

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2014, 04:27 AM
Very frustrating outplaying a series of poor sides at home but only drawing games we should win. But let's get it into perspective, we are playing much better and have a management who know what they are doing and who actually seem to have a clue how to set up a proper training and youth facility.

We'll be a major force in the game in Scotland and Europe again within five years.

Steve20
16-11-2014, 09:51 AM
There's been an improvement on last season but not by much. People say it's a tight league. But we're already 10 behind Rangers and 16 behind Hearts.

Not that tight a league.

Keith_M
16-11-2014, 09:57 AM
I think our biggest problem is our lack of quality in depth.

For instance, we basically have two decent goalscorers, one of whom was only brought in because of the other's long term injury and is now away himself on international duty.

We literally had NO decent strikers to choose from yesterday.

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Okay, so what do you want to happen?

Its way too late Andy, as usual. In the January window we need to bring in at least 3 players who would make a huge difference to us.

What do think the chances of that happening Andy?

We will limp into the play offs, well i hope we will. But we are staying in this division at least one more season.

hibs0666
16-11-2014, 10:09 AM

And what is your so what?

Borderhibbie76
16-11-2014, 10:17 AM
This place is unreal...been all positive the last few weeks and one more minor setback and all the doomsday posts are back. We played with 6 first team regulars missing yesterday, that would affect anyvteam in this league, especially losing the likes of Mcgeoch, malonga, el alagui. To expect us to have more strength in depth when we have been relegated and playing to lower crowds...how do we sustain that??
Some posters need to get real, there has been steady improvement but this is going to take time...Stubbs is literally building from ground zero!

SneakersO'Toole
16-11-2014, 10:32 AM
More attention than we got was needed on the playing squad in the summer. It didn't happen and now that we are into the thick of the season when injuries kick in, our weaknesses are shining through.

B.H.F.C
16-11-2014, 10:42 AM
This place is unreal...been all positive the last few weeks and one more minor setback and all the doomsday posts are back. We played with 6 first team regulars missing yesterday, that would affect anyvteam in this league, especially losing the likes of Mcgeoch, malonga, el alagui. To expect us to have more strength in depth when we have been relegated and playing to lower crowds...how do we sustain that??
Some posters need to get real, there has been steady improvement but this is going to take time...Stubbs is literally building from ground zero!

All fine and well saying that. But it's not just about yeaterday. We are playing against crap. And we've dropped far too many points. Talk about getting real. Well reality is that we are 16 points of the pace.

I like Stubbs. I like what he has to say and what he's trying to do. But steady improvement isn't good enough in this league.

bigwheel
16-11-2014, 10:49 AM
I think the premise in the OP is way too generalist and off mark. There has been a sea change in the footballing side of our club since last season. Yesterday was a poor result and certainly the display lacked some real punch...but that doesn't hide that the way we play, some of the quality we have and the purpose and effort of our team is night and day from last year. We had a number of important players out...Malonga, McGeouch, Forster, Robertson, Farid...that is not normal for a club to deal with. We are on the longest unbeaten run that I can recall...and the football in our last game against Dundee United is as good as we have played since Mowbray days. Of course, our lack of prep pre-season has cost us dear. Frankly get over it, and support the team we have now.

Yesterday, in a poor game still, for me, witnessed as good a midfield display as I can recall for a long time in a Hibs jersey - Scott Allan, take a bow! Now last season , we never had a performance like that .

emerald green
16-11-2014, 11:18 AM

I think the premise in the OP is way too generalist and off mark. There has been a sea change in the footballing side of our club since last season. Yesterday was a poor result and certainly the display lacked some real punch...but that doesn't hide that the way we play, some of the quality we have and the purpose and effort of our team is night and day from last year. We had a number of important players out...Malonga, McGeouch, Forster, Robertson, Farid...that is not normal for a club to deal with. We are on the longest unbeaten run that I can recall...and the football in our last game against Dundee United is as good as we have played since Mowbray days. Of course, our lack of prep pre-season has cost us dear. Frankly get over it, and support the team we have now.

Yesterday, in a poor game still, for me, witnessed as good a midfield display as I can recall for a long time in a Hibs jersey - Scott Allan, take a bow! Now last season , we never had a performance like that .

I read in the paper yesterday that QOS had Chris Mitchell, Stephen McKenna, Paul Burns, Michael Paton and Greig Kiltie absent, and Mark Kerr is doubtful.

Now I have no idea who these players are, but I'm presuming they are first team squad players for QOS.

BTW I agree that Scott Allan deserved his MOM award yesterday, but he cannot do it all on his own. There are other players who really need to contribute a lot more.

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2014, 11:23 AM
I read in the paper yesterday that QOS had Chris Mitchell, Stephen McKenna, Paul Burns, Michael Paton and Greig Kiltie absent, and Mark Kerr is doubtful.

Now I have no idea who these players are, but I'm presuming they are first team squad players for QOS.

BTW I agree that Scott Allan deserved his MOM award yesterday, but he cannot do it all on his own. There are other players who really need to contribute a lot more.

shush. :shhhsh!:

emerald green
16-11-2014, 12:13 PM
shush. :shhhsh!:

Yes I know! :greengrin

I'm just a bit surprised nobody else happened to mention it.

bigwheel
16-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Yes I know! :greengrin

I'm just a bit surprised nobody else happened to mention it.

The OP wasn't about yesterdays game. it suggested there has been no change since last season..(although those listed for QOS would have to be a list of most of their top players to be the equivalent of those out for us).

It's a reaction after a bad result...had we won (a game we dominated), the post wouldn't have appeared..

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2014, 12:38 PM
The OP wasn't about yesterdays game. it suggested there has been no change since last season..(although those listed for QOS would have to be a list of most of their top players to be the equivalent of those out for us).

It's a reaction after a bad result...had we won (a game we dominated), the post wouldn't have appeared..

Nearly right, its a reaction after ANOTHER bad result.

Eyrie
16-11-2014, 01:35 PM
GK - Oxley
RB - Gray
CH - Fontaine
LB - Booth
MF - McGeouch
MF - Allan
MF - Kennedy
ST - El Alagui
ST - Malonga
ST - Sinclair

Close to a full team there of new players (just missing a CH and a DM) and of the ten arrivals, seven would be first choices if fit.

So it looks like there have been a lot of changes in the playing squad. We have an entirely new manager and coaching staff, new structure and new chief executive. We've even abandoned our strip for a year.

The only thing that hasn't changed is our ability to underperform.

bigwheel
16-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Nearly right, its a reaction after ANOTHER bad result.

yep, Heffernan puts away his chance and you don't post the same post....take a broader look...

The Green Goblin
16-11-2014, 01:46 PM
yep, Heffernan puts away his chance and you don't post the same post....take a broader look...

If someone had scythed down Ozturk in the dying seconds, we'd have won the derby... But they didn't, and we didn't. Etc etc

Heffernan didn't score yesterday and we didn't win. What's the purpose in using and debating made up scenarios that never happened?

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2014, 02:06 PM

Just another in a long line of excuses.

NAE NOOKIE
16-11-2014, 02:08 PM
We are where we are and can only hope that we get the steady improvement we need to make it to and win in the play offs. We need a tall striker who can score from the many balls we get into the box ... we are too easy to defend against in the air.

CallumLaidlaw
16-11-2014, 02:18 PM
At the start of the season, a lot of fans thought that it would be very hard to finish top 2 due to rangers and Hearts being much better prepared and us having a full rebuilding job to do. Most also accepted that Stubbs needed time to turn things around. Yet here we are not even half way through the season, sitting in the top 4 after a difficult start. We just drew with the team that's 3rd, ran hamilton close last season (who are now flying in the league above us), and are very settled and organised, yet we are acting like we have a god given right to win these games.
We were by far the better team yesterday, and that was without 6 first team regulars. On the same day, a much more expensive Rangers team, with less players missing, drew at home to Alloa.
Why don't we allow the "time" we said Stubbs needed at the start of the season, hope the unbeaten run continues, and wait and see what the January window brings. We may be short of players, but the quality that Stubbs has brought in has been much above what it replaced.

Lago
16-11-2014, 02:19 PM
The Fenlon era finally finished me off as a regular attendar and once it's gone then there's always another excuse to be found for not going.
Yip me too. Gave up season ticket and no longer do walk up and now don't miss it one bit. I even read the paper front to back where as before back page first. Now watch my son in laws junior side plenty endeavour some decent football and proper pricing.

Hibrandenburg
16-11-2014, 02:29 PM

Said something similar a few weeks back. There's no evidence that we've improved on last season in my opinion. We look better but that's down to the inferior opposition week in week out. Yes we've shown some spirit against the Arabs und der Hun, but it's easy to motivate the players for those sort of games.

greenginger
16-11-2014, 02:44 PM

Your original post suggested we did not have enough players. I said we had used up our budget on the players we have.

I dare say we could have had two huddies for the wages we pay Scott Allan or some of Stubbs other signings.

We have been unlucky with the number of serious injuries to our squad , but is your argument that we should have a huddie squad in depth or STF should be made to dip into his pocket one more time before he is asked to leave.

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Your original post suggested we did not have enough players. I said we had used up our budget on the players we have.

I dare say we could have had two huddies for the wages we pay Scott Allan or some of Stubbs other signings.

We have been unlucky with the number of serious injuries to our squad , but is your argument that we should have a huddie squad in depth or STF should be made to dip into his pocket one more time before he is asked to leave.

I didnt realise you were in charge of the budget? Although correct me if i'm wrong, but did Stubbs not say we'd agreed terms with the player and with Celtic for Griffiths, only for the rug to be pulled at the last minute?

The kind of money we'd have to spend to secure his services must be coming from somewhere, or is Griffiths the only player this mysterious money is available for?

Injuries affect every club, in fact only yesterday our opponents had 5 men out. I'm not sure who was injured when we drew with cowdenbeath or raith or lost away at QOS and alloa, but i do know they wont be that flush with bodies either.

cam2644
16-11-2014, 03:58 PM
agree with this ,and add the to the fact we are still relying on loans there is not as much progress as I would have hope for

The point about poor preparation at the start of the season is a valid one. We always seem to start without a prepared squad. Across the city I hate to say they hit the ground running. This is not the fault of Leanne or Alan Stubbs but you know who with his continual blindness to the playing side of club affairs. Hopefully we'll now have some continuity and Alan Stubbs will start next season well prepared and well armed.

Eyrie
16-11-2014, 04:41 PM
The point about poor preparation at the start of the season is a valid one. We always seem to start without a prepared squad. Across the city I hate to say they hit the ground running. This is not the fault of Leanne or Alan Stubbs but you know who with his continual blindness to the playing side of club affairs. Hopefully we'll now have some continuity and Alan Stubbs will start next season well prepared and well armed.

We had a slow start to the off-season this year because we wasted two weeks before telling Butcher to take up gardening.

There will be no such excuse next year with Dempster, Craig and Stubbs all in place.

The Green Goblin
16-11-2014, 06:41 PM
We had a slow start to the off-season this year because we wasted two weeks before telling Butcher to take up gardening.

There will be no such excuse next year with Dempster, Craig and Stubbs all in place.

You`re right, but my heart always sinks when I hear the phrase "next year" followed by some positive sentiment. It`s always "next year" with Hibs, and never turns out that way.

bigwheel
16-11-2014, 11:52 PM
If someone had scythed down Ozturk in the dying seconds, we'd have won the derby... But they didn't, and we didn't. Etc etc

Heffernan didn't score yesterday and we didn't win. What's the purpose in using and debating made up scenarios that never happened?

Is the point too subtle for you??

greenginger
16-11-2014, 11:53 PM
I didnt realise you were in charge of the budget? Although correct me if i'm wrong, but did Stubbs not say we'd agreed terms with the player and with Celtic for Griffiths, only for the rug to be pulled at the last minute?

The kind of money we'd have to spend to secure his services must be coming from somewhere, or is Griffiths the only player this mysterious money is available for?

Injuries affect every club, in fact only yesterday our opponents had 5 men out. I'm not sure who was injured when we drew with cowdenbeath or raith or lost away at QOS and alloa, but i do know they wont be that flush with bodies either.

IIRC the Griffith wages were going to be met by some business or supporters with money to spare or was it a lottery winner.

bigwheel
16-11-2014, 11:55 PM

do you pre-write your negative threads and just wait for the right opportunity to post them?

The Green Goblin
17-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Is the point too subtle for you??

Hardly.

majorhibs
17-11-2014, 02:02 AM
IIRC the Griffith wages were going to be met by some business or supporters with money to spare or was it a lottery winner.

So that's where the clubs at? Want a decent player in, hope the lottery is smiling at Hibs fans? Put any amount of spin on it, the TEAM is in a bad way & position, & a lot of supporters now know who is responsible. Until Petrie goes, regardless of what's gone before, Hibs are not doing it for a lot of fans. Him gone, move forward, game on. Right now, as said many many times, because of what he's done, the club can't progress. Nothing worse than a failure who cannot admit that they are, or have been, a failure. Who wants Hibs to be where they are at this exact moment in time? Who put Hibs here? Petrie just go.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2014, 07:31 AM
do you pre-write your negative threads and just wait for the right opportunity to post them?

I have someone come in once a week to write them for me, had to pay off the guy who was writing my positive posts.

marinello59
17-11-2014, 07:37 AM
I have someone come in once a week to write them for me, had to pay off the guy who was writing my positive posts.

No wonder, he wasn't very good at it. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2014, 07:38 AM
No wonder, he wasn't very good at it. :greengrin

:greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-11-2014, 07:24 PM

Saved yourself a few quid there G :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Saved yourself a few quid there G :greengrin

45p John. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-11-2014, 09:11 PM
45p John. :greengrin

Serves you right for paying top dollar :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Serves you right for paying top dollar :greengrin

You know me john, its only money. ( one for last season ):wink:

HappyAsHellas
17-11-2014, 09:55 PM
So that's where the clubs at? Want a decent player in, hope the lottery is smiling at Hibs fans? Put any amount of spin on it, the TEAM is in a bad way & position, & a lot of supporters now know who is responsible. Until Petrie goes, regardless of what's gone before, Hibs are not doing it for a lot of fans. Him gone, move forward, game on. Right now, as said many many times, because of what he's done, the club can't progress. Nothing worse than a failure who cannot admit that they are, or have been, a failure. Who wants Hibs to be where they are at this exact moment in time? Who put Hibs here? Petrie just go.

So if Petrie leaves tomorrow we'll have loads of money to spend? I don't think there were many calling for his head when we appointed Butcher as manager either. I believe his boss thinks very highly of him, so I can't see any changes in the near future. His tenure is certainly questionable, but no point in making stuff up in the same mould as HoH.

majorhibs
17-11-2014, 10:03 PM
So if Petrie leaves tomorrow we'll have loads of money to spend? I don't think there were many calling for his head when we appointed Butcher as manager either. I believe his boss thinks very highly of him, so I can't see any changes in the near future. His tenure is certainly questionable, but no point in making stuff up in the same mould as HoH.

I wish you- & every other tosser on here & I make no apologies for linguas- would just eff off with this hibs.net fantastical myth that WE appointed Butcher & WE were all happy & Petrie & therefore YOU obviously & a good few others who obviously thought it was the way to go, it was a disaster, worse than I thought it could go but I had been arguing with certain mates for years that the guy was no good, just cos YOU didnt see it coming stop, please cease forthwith, this bx that WE are somehow culpable for muppet petrie appointing muppet butcher, then these halfwits getting Hibs relegated in THAT league in that year wi nae huns & poppy theives -15. I dont have answers to solutions- but I sure as hell ken who is to blame for this current shambles.
#or even answers & solutions.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2014, 10:05 PM
I wish you- & every other tosser on here & I make no apologies for linguas- would just eff off with this hibs.net fantastical myth that WE appointed Butcher & WE were all happy & Petrie & therefore YOU obviously & a good few others who obviously thought it was the way to go, it was a disaster, worse than I thought it could go but I had been arguing with certain mates for years that the guy was no good, just cos YOU didnt see it coming stop, please cease forthwith, this bx that WE are somehow culpable for muppet petrie appointing muppet butcher, then these halfwits getting Hibs relegated in THAT league in that year wi nae huns & poppy theives -15. I dont have answers to solutions- but I sure as hell ken who is to blame for this current shambles.

Ok get off that fence and tell us what you really mean. :greengrin

sesoim
18-11-2014, 12:09 AM

:agree: I get the impression even if we were put into the sh*tist league in Scotland, some fans would still make excuses for us if we were struggling to win. It is ridiculous to talk about us making progress when we are in a lower league than before - we are effectively sitting 16th in Scotland at the moment, and we are still struggling to beat teams and score goals.

I'm not totally blaming Stubbs as there are plenty of culprits out there, but Stubbs had NO management experience, and so we still don't know whether he is actually capable of doing a good job. Combine that with the fact that, unlike a lot of other candidates, he came with very little knowledge of the Championship, and it is no wonder we are still getting lots of poor results. I live in hope that we will come good at the most important time, ie April-May, but the fact that 4th place is enough shouldn't excuse just how poorly we are doing with our resources yet again.

majorhibs
18-11-2014, 12:29 AM
:agree: I get the impression even if we were put into the sh*tist league in Scotland, some fans would still make excuses for us if we were struggling to win. It is ridiculous to talk about us making progress when we are in a lower league than before - we are effectively sitting 16th in Scotland at the moment, and we are still struggling to beat teams and score goals.

I'm not totally blaming Stubbs as there are plenty of culprits out there, but Stubbs had NO management experience, and so we still don't know whether he is actually capable of doing a good job. Combine that with the fact that, unlike a lot of other candidates, he came with very little knowledge of the Championship, and it is no wonder we are still getting lots of poor results. I live in hope that we will come good at the most important time, ie April-May, but the fact that 4th place is enough shouldn't excuse just how poorly we are doing with our resources yet again.

Could it be as a rookie manager he is listening just a bit too much to the "captain" who talks an excellent game but, imo, when in that midfield with the decent forward minded midfielders weve got, just disrupts & disorganises what the manager & young players are trying to do? Some players just dont fit some clubs, dont fit some systems, I think if our manager persists with playing certain players who are not doing it, & the results are not there, then the good stuff will be lost in the lack of points & results. & the muppets on the other side of town never losing any. When Craig plays in our midfield I think the way HE plays just disrupts & disorganises the other football playing midfielders, the link up is not there, nobody is finding each other & creating, & this to me is a blind spot our manager could be doing with getting rid of sharpish, dont know the stats this season, but how many of our draws in this division have come about with him in the team? Also when Robertson plays he looks like a different player when he doesnt have craig beside him getting in his way & generally being ineffective for Hibs but effective for the opposition in that he ruins our play & gives the other side space because he is wearing another Hibs players jersey (usually the centre half) meaning the opposition have so much space to exploit, cos one of our midfielders is running about inside our #5s shirt.