Billychaotic182
14-11-2014, 10:15 PM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30053689

Amazing I want one hahaha

Eyrie
14-11-2014, 10:19 PM

I'm surprised that we heard nothing about this until it was withdrawn in a blaze of publicity.

Colr
14-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Where can I get one. It's so apt for the walking dead team.

Mr White
14-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Cue directors of Burton Albion FC getting death threats. Fat Ally will claim to be "shocked".

Stranraer
14-11-2014, 11:01 PM

Same here :greengrin shame they have apologised!?:confused:

Michael
15-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Ha! Someone at Burton knew exactly what they were doing!

lyonhibs
15-11-2014, 04:38 AM
In pretty poor taste if you ask me

Iain G
15-11-2014, 05:55 AM
How does this image relate to the 2 year old team The Rangers? Surely this is a photo for the team that has ceased to exist? :wink:

CalgaryHibs
15-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Ha! Someone at Burton knew exactly what they were doing!

Correct ! ;)

BoomtownHibees
15-11-2014, 09:55 AM
In pretty poor taste if you ask me

Nonsense

Keith_M
15-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Please excuse my ignorance but...

Why do the Rangers players in the old photo have Star of David badges on their shirts?

:dunno:

Pretty Boy
15-11-2014, 10:09 AM

Why do the Rangers players in the old photo have Star of David badges on their shirts?

They're from good Jewish Protestant stock.

Cabbage East
15-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Class. Still on sale in stores apparently...

Keith_M
15-11-2014, 10:24 AM

Actually, I just remembered that there's one on the Northern Ireland flag as well.

Curioser and curioser.

Pretty Boy
15-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Actually, I just remembered that there's one on the Northern Ireland flag as well.

Curioser and curioser.

The star on the Ulster Banner (it hasn't actually been the official Northern Ireland flag since the 70s and is never used officially and very few government buildings fly it) is six sided and represents the six counties of Northern Ireland.

That might explain the 6 sided star on that Rangers top as well as a couple of their founders had Northern Irish heritage.

tamig
15-11-2014, 10:35 AM
The star on the Ulster Banner (it hasn't actually been the official Northern Ireland flag since the 70s and is never used at any official events and is never flown from governement buildings) is six sided and represents the six counties of Northern Ireland.

That might explain the 6 sided star on that Rangers top as well as a couple of their founders had Northern Irish heritage.
Just found that myself. Google is handy. However, it did say the origins of the star were disputed with the 6 province theory being one of a few on the subject.

Pretty Boy
15-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Just found that myself. Google is handy. However, it did say the origins of the star were disputed with the 6 province theory being one of a few on the subject.

Didn't know there were alternative views although it makes sense I suppose.

Going to have a wee read up on that, the symbols, flags etc of Northern Ireland are fascinating.

tamig
15-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Didn't know there were alternative views although it makes sense I suppose.

Going to have a wee read up on that, the symbols, flags etc of Northern Ireland are fascinating.

My boy's a flag guru and they are a pretty interesting topic to look into when trying to suss out the origins. I never even knew before this thread that the "red hand" was no longer their official flag.

Kato
15-11-2014, 12:46 PM
The star on the Ulster Banner (it hasn't actually been the official Northern Ireland flag since the 70s and is never used officially and very few government buildings fly it) is six sided and represents the six counties of Northern Ireland.

Did Rangers have any link to Northern Ireland or sectarianism back then? I thought that all started in the 1920's.

Pretty Boy
15-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Did Rangers have any link to Northern Ireland or sectarianism back then? I thought that all started in the 1920's.

No idea.

I just know Moses and Peter McNeil who were 2 of the founders of Rangers had a Northern Irish mother so may be connected but I accept that's a pretty tenuous link.

I'm sure I remember reading once that up to about 1900ish Rangers had a bigger rivalry with Clyde than they did Celtic so you could well be right.

The Gorf
15-11-2014, 01:45 PM

Can someone post the link in the nice green colour as I can't access it otherwise. :wink: On a shi--y ipad that keeps freezing. :confused:
Ta to whoever can do it.

Kato
15-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Can someone post the link in the nice green colour as I can't access it otherwise. :wink: On a shi--y ipad that keeps freezing. :confused:
Ta to whoever can do it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30053689

Keith_M
15-11-2014, 01:57 PM
The star on the Ulster Banner (it hasn't actually been the official Northern Ireland flag since the 70s and is never used officially and very few government buildings fly it)

It's still the offical flag of NI in Sport, e.g in the recent Commonwealth games and in Football

....is six sided and represents the six counties of Northern Ireland.

Nothern Ireland (comprising the six counties) has only been in existence since 1922. The photo of the Rangers team predates that by a few decades.

The Gorf
15-11-2014, 02:37 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30053689
Cheers :aok:

Keith_M
15-11-2014, 03:02 PM
OK, I have a possible answer for the 'Star of David' badge

Acorrding to some Hun Blog (http://rangers1872.blogspot.de/2010/05/clyde-amateur-rowing-club-boathouse.html), Rangers were playing in a Cup Final against Vale of Leithen, who also played in blue, so needed a change strip. They had some link to the Clyde Amatuer Rowing Club and were given a loan of their jerseys for the day. The star was actually the badge of the rowing club (and actually not the Star of David).....

......allegedly.

Jim Herriot
15-11-2014, 04:32 PM
They're from good Jewish Protestant stock.

Orange Jews?

givescotlandfreedom
15-11-2014, 04:40 PM
I find everything about sevco and their dead predecessors offensive but that doesn't stop them.

Smartie
15-11-2014, 04:42 PM

That's what I thought too.

I'm sure that in the early days Rangers were a fairly respectable club and had a fairly honourable, charitable outlook and had a fairly decent relationship with Celtic and other clubs.

Were they not largely hijacked in the early part of the last century and adopted as a vehicle for people to vent their anti-Irishness? Something that they've managed to very nicely out of up to 2012 when they ceased to exist.

I'm sure I read that a while back but I could be wrong.

tamig
15-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Orange Jews?

Haha. Good old Edwyn Collins :-)

Jonny1875
15-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Great t-shirt. Hate the huns and their supporters and keeaboo that is because In commonwealth games you cannot choose tricolour as it represents a country outside of the commonwealth. Look at Paddy Barnes when they played Danny boy etc

Shields Hibee
15-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Love it! Might have to buy one!

PerfectlyFranck
16-11-2014, 12:43 AM
That's incredibly disrespectful, was the designer sneaking in a stupid attempt at humour or did they just create an awful design from a daft idea?
If there was someone that approved this design, then they are just as daft for not thinking this might be offensive or checking the source image.

I wonder if some of you would still find this funny if, for example, the design used the photo of our side from 1903…
Or a photo of the Famous Five sides from the 40s-50s with skulls in place of their heads with the same wording...

Rangers are irrelevant in this, the 'underworld champions' design with skulls in place of deceased former footballers' heads is an idiotic and brainless attempt at a shirt print design. I think it's more likely that they've just searched for a clear image of an old football team and thought this was in someway a 'cool', striking or original idea. Some ideas are best kept in the head until they are forgotten.

VivaHiberņa
16-11-2014, 01:05 AM
OK, I have a possible answer for the 'Star of David' badge

Acorrding to some Hun Blog (http://rangers1872.blogspot.de/2010/05/clyde-amateur-rowing-club-boathouse.html), Rangers were playing in a Cup Final against Vale of Leithen, who also played in blue, so needed a change strip. They had some link to the Clyde Amatuer Rowing Club and were given a loan of their jerseys for the day. The star was actually the badge of the rowing club (and actually not the Star of David).....

......allegedly.

That blog is hilarious, I love the repeated references to "The Rangers" and "The Rangers 1872" (note capital 'T') as if they've always been called that. They've been the gift that won't stop giving over the past few years.

Keith_M
16-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Great t-shirt. Hate the huns and their supporters and keeaboo that is because In commonwealth games you cannot choose tricolour as it represents a country outside of the commonwealth. Look at Paddy Barnes when they played Danny boy etc

The tricolour is the flag of the ROI. They couldn't possibly use that to represent Northern Ireland (not in the ROI).

(Just like to make it clear that I have no interest in Irish 'politics', so no axe to grind either way)

Moulin Yarns
16-11-2014, 10:40 AM
It appears that is was from a range of t shirts.

http://www.burton.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogNavigationSearchResultCmd?langId=-1&storeId=12551&catalogId=33052&beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=false&pageSize=20&sort_field=Relevance&searchTerm=skull&x=0&y=0#langId=-1&storeId=12551&catalogId=33052&beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=false&pageSize=20&sort_field=Newness&searchTerm=skull&x=0&y=0

Iggy Pope
16-11-2014, 01:35 PM
That's incredibly disrespectful, was the designer sneaking in a stupid attempt at humour or did they just create an awful design from a daft idea?
If there was someone that approved this design, then they are just as daft for not thinking this might be offensive or checking the source image.

I wonder if some of you would still find this funny if, for example, the design used the photo of our side from 1903…
Or a photo of the Famous Five sides from the 40s-50s with skulls in place of their heads with the same wording...

Rangers are irrelevant in this, the 'underworld champions' design with skulls in place of deceased former footballers' heads is an idiotic and brainless attempt at a shirt print design. I think it's more likely that they've just searched for a clear image of an old football team and thought this was in someway a 'cool', striking or original idea. Some ideas are best kept in the head until they are forgotten.

100%

Iggy Pope
16-11-2014, 01:45 PM
That blog is hilarious, I love the repeated references to "The Rangers" and "The Rangers 1872" (note capital 'T') as if they've always been called that. They've been the gift that won't stop giving over the past few years.

I sympathise with your sentiment, but have a wee look at the pic attached to this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1962-EUROPEAN-CUP-WINNERS-CUP-RANGERS-V-TOTTENHAM-HOTSPUR-/390974363462?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_Football_Pro grammes_ET&hash=item5b07e35746

'The' Rangers is nothing new my friend.

hibeesboii
16-11-2014, 11:48 PM
Guessing there won't be anywhere you can buy them now?

VivaHiberņa
17-11-2014, 01:48 AM
I sympathise with your sentiment, but have a wee look at the pic attached to this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1962-EUROPEAN-CUP-WINNERS-CUP-RANGERS-V-TOTTENHAM-HOTSPUR-/390974363462?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_Football_Pro grammes_ET&hash=item5b07e35746

'The' Rangers is nothing new my friend.

I've seen a couple of them get dragged out over the past few years, trying to justify use of the term "The Rangers" and therefore the continuity of the club. I think in the case of these old programmes it comes from that quite Scottish way of using the word "the" before a proper noun, older folk in particular do it. Eg. my granny always used to ask how "the Hibs" got on or once said that she thought "the Still Game" was quite funny and I remember an interview where Pat Stanton mentioned playing for "the Celtc." Which one of us hasn't shouted "Mon the Hibs" at some point?

That the club used to be referred to as "the Rangers" is a happy convenience that they have (understandably) tried to use to justify their "same club" rubbish.

lyonhibs
17-11-2014, 07:17 AM

This :agree:

Quite apart from the fact that it's another example of t-shirts ruined by some pishy pattern/logo/image that can't possibly mean anything to the wearer apart from its "look at me, am I not so quirky/controversial/hilarious" value.

Andy74
17-11-2014, 09:48 AM

I think you are over thinking this a bit.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-11-2014, 10:04 AM
I think you are over thinking this a bit.

Phew! I thought it was just me. I think its a complete coincidence and just Huns showing the same level of paranoia as their weegie counterparts.

AndyM_1875
17-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Phew! I thought it was just me. I think its a complete coincidence and just Huns showing the same level of paranoia as their weegie counterparts.

Haven't you noticed they are the new Victim FC?

They have fully inherited Celtc's paranoia that everyone is out to get them.

Geo_1875
17-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Haven't you noticed they are the new Victim FC?

They have fully inherited Celtc's paranoia that everyone is out to get them.

But it's not paranoia if we are out to get them.