PDA

View Full Version : Programmes for Saturday

cameronw-hfc
13-11-2014, 03:31 PM
They are £4 this week, as there is a donation going to Help for Heroes. Club gave no notice last time and I along with the other sellers got a load of abuse about it, even though, the seller's do not decide the price, it's the club. Every seller is a hibs fan not a member of staff, so please keep in mind when venting your anger about the prices, we aren't to blame. :flag:

Iggy Pope
13-11-2014, 03:39 PM
They are £4 this week, as there is a donation going to Help for Heroes. Club gave no notice last time and I along with the other sellers got a load of abuse about it, even though, the seller's do not decide the price, it's the club. Every seller is a hibs fan not a member of staff, so please keep in mind when venting your anger about the prices, we aren't to blame. :flag:

I for one, am sick of the fashion that is Help for Heroes and Remembrance . I want to buy a programme but don't want to make a donation. It might be a good cause to some, but not to me.
I will be asking the club for a refund and I'll make that clear when I pick up my Dumbarton tickets tomorrow.

Edit: I've just read its a 52 pager with something interesting in it for a change, so I'll maybe swallow it!

silverhibee
13-11-2014, 05:41 PM
I for one, am sick of the fashion that is Help for Heroes and Remembrance . I want to buy a programme but don't want to make a donation. It might be a good cause to some, but not to me.
I will be asking the club for a refund and I'll make that clear when I pick up my Dumbarton tickets tomorrow.

Edit: I've just read its a 52 pager with something interesting in it for a change, so I'll maybe swallow it!

Don't choke on it. :greengrin

Squealing pig
13-11-2014, 07:06 PM

Not hibs class

DC_Hibs
13-11-2014, 07:09 PM
I'll maybe swallow it!

Not for the first time I'll wager.

Hello Sailor.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2014, 08:54 PM

How obtuse - just don't buy it!

PatHead
13-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Think Tom Wright has done a piece on the Gretna disaster which affected a lot of Leithers. Should be interesting and look forward to reading it.

wookie70
13-11-2014, 10:39 PM
IMO programmes should not have a donation attached to them. By all means have collection buckets etc but this compulsory type of charity really gets my goat. I would like the opportunity to buy a programme with no politics associated with my purchase. Not everyone agrees with the way war is remembered(celebrated) and I don't tend to give anything to any charity which I believe is in existence to cover for something that is Government's responsibility.

Sir David Gray
13-11-2014, 10:54 PM
IMO programmes should not have a donation attached to them. By all means have collection buckets etc but this compulsory type of charity really gets my goat. I would like the opportunity to buy a programme with no politics associated with my purchase. Not everyone agrees with the way war is remembered(celebrated) and I don't tend to give anything to any charity which I believe is in existence to cover for something that is Government's responsibility.

This will probably surprise some people but I agree with this, at least in part.

I'm about as pro-Remembrance as you will find and I fully support what the club's doing this weekend with regards to the special shirts that the players are wearing and are being auctioned afterwards to raise money for Help For Heroes.

I also fully support football playing its part in remembering those who have fought and died for this country, regardless of the politics behind the wars that they've fought in.

However I think that having proceeds towards the sale of a matchday programme going to a charity is a bit unnecessary to be honest.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it but I just don't think there's a need for it.

IberianHibernian
13-11-2014, 11:04 PM
IMO programmes should not have a donation attached to them. By all means have collection buckets etc but this compulsory type of charity really gets my goat. I would like the opportunity to buy a programme with no politics associated with my purchase. Not everyone agrees with the way war is remembered(celebrated) and I don't tend to give anything to any charity which I believe is in existence to cover for something that is Government's responsibility.Agree . Not many fans buy programmes now but some are serious collectors and neither they or occasional buyers should be expected to donate to a charity they may not agree with or have already contributed to elsewhere . I don`t really understand buckets outside ER for this case either but accept it`s voluntary . Tickets for (ex and present ) British military people has already been mentioned here and I realise press pressure may make club act in a certain way but still think it would be better if club distanced itself from military stuff whatever happens at other clubs .

lord bunberry
13-11-2014, 11:17 PM

If you're sick of the fashion that is help for heroes would you rather we returned to the old days were servicemen that' survived were left to fend for themselves with debilitating injuries, or widows of those who didn't survive were left penniless, often with children to look after. As for being sick of remeberence, It's worth remembering that some of the people that are being remembered made the ultimate sacrifice so that people could express views like yours without being persecuted. No one is forced to take part, if you don't agree with it don't buy a programme

Scottie
13-11-2014, 11:33 PM

Maybe you should ask for a refund on your Dumbarton tickets also and go directly to Darkheid where you'll fit in just right with the bigots because If it wasn't for the people you disrespect in your post you wouldn't have the freedom of speech you take for granted with your bile.

If you're sick of the fashion that is help for heroes would you rather we returned to the old days were servicemen that' survived were left to fend for themselves with debilitating injuries, or widows of those who didn't survive were left penniless, often with children to look after. As for being sick of remeberence, It's worth remembering that some of the people that are being remembered made the ultimate sacrifice so that people could express views like yours without being persecuted. No one is forced to take part, if you don't agree with it don't buy a programme
Well said LB

Viva_Palmeiras
14-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Think Tom Wright has done a piece on the Gretna disaster which affected a lot of Leithers. Should be interesting and look forward to reading it.

Yes my mum said the Gretna disaster impacted pretty much a generation of Leithers

green&left
14-11-2014, 08:39 AM

HfH gives money to current/recent serving soldiers. There aren't any WW1 serving soldiers alive now I believe. Not wanting to be controversial but being part of an invading army in Ulster, Iraq & Afghanistan because your government sent you across is hardly the 'ultimate sacrifice' - all IMO of course.

I'd much rather money being raised going towards local foodbanks, the Dnipro appeal, multi-cultural centre and other local Leith/Edinburgh charities that have a meaning to the club the area.

Bizarre that 12/13 years ago hundreds of thousands took part in anti-war demonstations all over Britian. A few years later soldiers are now having welcome parties, parades, freebies the lot. The power of media I guess!

green&left
14-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Maybe you should ask for a refund on your Dumbarton tickets also and go directly to Darkheid where you'll fit in just right with the bigots because If it wasn't for the people you disrespect in your post you wouldn't have the freedom of speech you take for granted with your bile.

Well said LB

Couldn't make it up. Doesn't like someone's opionion so (almost) calls them a bigot, then mentions freedom of speech.... :rolleyes::rotflmao:

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2014, 08:53 AM
HfH gives money to current/recent serving soldiers. There aren't any WW1 serving soldiers alive now I believe. Not wanting to be controversial but being part of an invading army in Ulster, Iraq & Afghanistan because your government sent you across is hardly the 'ultimate sacrifice' - all IMO of course.

I'd much rather money being raised going towards local foodbanks, the Dnipro appeal, multi-cultural centre and other local Leith/Edinburgh charities that have a meaning to the club the area.

Bizarre that 12/13 years ago hundreds of thousands took part in anti-war demonstations all over Britian. A few years later soldiers are now having welcome parties, parades, freebies the lot. The power of media I guess!

You get to choose if you want to purchase a programme or not, and Hibs have chosen to donate to this cause. There are others who donate to those causes you mention including our club, and well done to them.

lord bunberry
14-11-2014, 09:48 AM

Remeberence or armistice day has been around for nearly 100 years. When talking about making the ultimate sacrifice I was more refering to those who fought in the 2 world wars. These people died to protect us from tyrannical dictators and allowed us to continue to express ourselves without fear.
People demonstrating against the war in Iraq weren't demonstrating against the soldiers, it was against government policy. I don't see the problem with helping these people when they return.
If I don't like a particular cause I don't make a donation to it, I have a choice.

Scottie
14-11-2014, 10:24 AM

Well said LB

Couldn't make it up. Doesn't like someone's opionion so (almost) calls them a bigot, then mentions freedom of speech.... :rolleyes::rotflmao:

:faf: No even going to rise to your fishing trip.

Andy74
14-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Remeberence or armistice day has been around for nearly 100 years. When talking about making the ultimate sacrifice I was more refering to those who fought in the 2 world wars. These people died to protect us from tyrannical dictators and allowed us to continue to express ourselves without fear.
People demonstrating against the war in Iraq weren't demonstrating against the soldiers, it was against government policy. I don't see the problem with helping these people when they return.
If I don't like a particular cause I don't make a donation to it, I have a choice.

If you want a programme though and don't want to make a donation you have a choice to make which isn't really fair.

People aren't being bigots about having different views on the modern military. We seem to be stepping up the rehetoric around it all like in the US. i'm not really that into it, other are, but we all have a chouice about what we think we want to support or not.

Linking it into a football product and a thing people collect for what it is I don't think is a great idea.

lord bunberry
14-11-2014, 10:51 AM
If you want a programme though and don't want to make a donation you have a choice to make which isn't really fair.

People aren't being bigots about having different views on the modern military. We seem to be stepping up the rehetoric around it all like in the US. i'm not really that into it, other are, but we all have a chouice about what we think we want to support or not.

Linking it into a football product and a thing people collect for what it is I don't think is a great idea.

Do you feel strongly enough about it that you would deny yourself your normal practice of buying a programme? If you feel that strongly about something then going without a programme for one game to make your point shouldn't be an issue.

PatHead
14-11-2014, 10:54 AM

A Foodbank fundraiser/ collection is being finalised. We don't have to stop at one charity.

Andy74
14-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Do you feel strongly enough about it that you would deny yourself your normal practice of buying a programme? If you feel that strongly about something then going without a programme for one game to make your point shouldn't be an issue.

I don't buy a programme so I don't care.

Making someone go without a football programme shouldn't be a thing that happens though. It's a football match, it's a programme. Additional charges to cover a donation to something some people would not really want to support is a poor idea I think, particulalry if there are collections also available for donations.

Carheenlea
14-11-2014, 11:03 AM
You get to choose if you want to purchase a programme or not, and Hibs have chosen to donate to this cause. There are others who donate to those causes you mention including our club, and well done to them.

Hibs aren't donating to this cause - its the fans who regularly purchase programmes that are getting hit for an extra pound who are making the donation.

If the club want to donate, why not donate quietly from club funds and without fuss (and inevitable giant cheque). Let the support decide themselves if they wish to contribute also rather than forcing them to do so should they want to buy a programme.

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Hibs aren't donating to this cause - its the fans who regularly purchase programmes that are getting hit for an extra pound who are making the donation.

If the club want to donate, why not donate quietly from club funds and without fuss (and inevitable giant cheque). Let the support decide themselves if they wish to contribute also rather than forcing them to do so if they want to buy a programme.

Programme sales are a small part of Hibernian football clubs income, just as season ticket sales and pay at the gate entry. Basically what you are saying is any donation Hibs make to any charity is not from Hibs but from its fans.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-11-2014, 11:15 AM
This is getting distasteful - where do the naysayers draw the line? Do Hibs have to consult with the fans before helping local charities? Pathetic:

Carheenlea
14-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Programme sales are a small part of Hibernian football clubs income, just as season ticket sales and pay at the gate entry. Basically what you are saying is any donation Hibs make to any charity is not from Hibs but from its fans.

The club doesn't add extra on top of season tickets or match day tickets to cover charitable donations though?
Just feels wrong to tax a product in order to make it appear like the club are making a donation. The club is donating nothing through this!

Future17
14-11-2014, 11:27 AM
How many different ways is it possible to start threads which will still end up with the same arguments contained within them?

Looking forward to Monday morning...

PatHead
14-11-2014, 11:30 AM
The club doesn't add extra on top of season tickets or match day tickets to cover charitable donations though?
Just feels wrong to tax a product in order to make it appear like the club are making a donation. The club is donating nothing through this!

The club are contributing a lot of time and resource to this project not to mention the extra cost of security staff etc.

To clarify things though the bucket collection was for Poppy Appeal, the programme collection is for another charity-HFH.

This is the first time we have had a day like this and we have learned a lot of things that could be done better and some things we would do differently.

Please look at the positives from this day or you will turn everyone off and the club may not be so willing to engage in future charity events. This has taken a lot of time and effort to organise and the staff at Hibs should be commended, not chastised, for their efforts. That is not to mention the dozens of hours volunteers have given up and are continuing to give up to try and bring Hibs back into the community.

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2014, 11:32 AM
The club are contributing a lot of time and resource to this project not to mention the extra cost of security staff etc.

To clarify things though the bucket collection was for Poppy Appeal, the programme collection is for another charity-HFH.

This is the first time we have had a day like this and we have learned a lot of things that could be done better and some things we would do differently.

Please look at the positives from this day or you will turn everyone off and the club may not be so willing to engage in future charity events. This has taken a lot of time and effort to organise and the staff at Hibs should be commended, not chastised, for their efforts. That is not to mention the dozens of hours volunteers have given up and are continuing to give up to try and bring Hibs back into the community.

:top marks

flash
14-11-2014, 11:32 AM

Just out of curiosity who was the "tyrannical dictator" we were sending hundreds of thousands of young men to be slaughtered by in the great War?

Andy74
14-11-2014, 11:35 AM
This is getting distasteful - where do the naysayers draw the line? Do Hibs have to consult with the fans before helping local charities? Pathetic:

Distasteful?

The Baldmans Comb
14-11-2014, 11:37 AM
This is an excellent idea from Hibs and anyone who feels the need to contribute to this charity will be able to do so through their programme donation.

"Help for Heroes" isn't however one of my worthwhile causes in the slightest and I will pick up my programme from the Albion Road shop a few weeks down the line.

Carheenlea
14-11-2014, 11:44 AM

Fair enough - point taken.

My point is that I feel it is wrong to "force" people into charitable donations and the bucket collection would be a preferred and fairer avenue for fundraising.

That said, I hope your day is successful.

PatHead
14-11-2014, 12:12 PM
:top marks

Thanks BH, needed that.

PatHead
14-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Fair enough - point taken.

My point is that I feel it is wrong to "force" people into charitable donations and the bucket collection would be a preferred and fairer avenue for fundraising.

That said, I hope your day is successful.

As I said things have been learnt.

Pretty Boy
14-11-2014, 12:32 PM

I don't think anyone is arguing against donating to charity. Just that there doesn't appear to be a choice here whether to do so or not. A programme WILL cost more and that money WILL be given to the specified charity. If someone usually buys a programme but doesn't wish to donate to said charity then they have a decision to make.

What is essentially an enforced donation (if you are a regular programme buyer) isn't really how charity usually works.

lord bunberry
14-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Just out of curiosity who was the "tyrannical dictator" we were sending hundreds of thousands of young men to be slaughtered by in the great War?

Kaiser Wilhelm.

leggeto
14-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Kaiser Wilhelm.

That's a proper baddie name

timewilltell
14-11-2014, 01:38 PM

This! 👍

silverhibee
14-11-2014, 03:58 PM
A Foodbank fundraiser/ collection is being finalised. We don't have to stop at one charity.

Was Down watching Ayr Utd a few weeks ago and they had big boxes at each turnstile for folk to donate food parcels, thought it was a good idea to help the community out.

PatHead
14-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Was Down watching Ayr Utd a few weeks ago and they had big boxes at each turnstile for folk to donate food parcels, thought it was a good idea to help the community out.

Think Morton and Celtic have done it as well.