PDA

View Full Version : George McNeil

Johnny_Leith
12-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or if it's even allowed (admin's feel free to delete if so)

George McNeil is performing a show called the 'The Fastest Man In The World' in The Dirty Martini (in Le Monde) on George street tonight at 9pm

It's the story about how he could have been an Olympic sprinter but instead signed for the mighty Hibernian.

A friend of mine works there and said I could post up an offer for all Hibs.net people when I mentioned I posted on here. 2-4-1 tickets and tickets are usually £10 each.

Thanks
J

hibbybrian
12-11-2014, 06:22 PM
George played in 2 first team games for Hibs; his debut was in a 2-0 away defeat to Celtc on 11 December 1965 and his second (final) first team appearance was on 18 December in a 3-0 win over St Johnstone at ER.

George warming up at ER

Forza Fred
12-11-2014, 07:21 PM
George played in 2 first team games for Hibs; his debut was in a 2-0 away defeat to Celtc on 11 December 1965 and his second (final) first team appearance was on 18 December in a 3-0 win over St Johnstone at ER.

George warming up at ER

I remember watching him play in the first team at ER but didn't think it was in cold dark December.

Guess it was nearly 50 years ago so I'm not going tobeat myself up for not having full recollection of the weather details.....but just wondered if he perhaps played in a League Cup game which would have been in warmer climes?

Hibs History
12-11-2014, 07:28 PM
George McNeil vs Ivan Sproule
When both in their prime, that would have been a race!

Jonnyboy
12-11-2014, 07:31 PM

George warming up at ER

Great pic Brian. I recall watching George on many occasions, playing for the reserves. Faster than that smelly stuff off a shovel :greengrin

scoopyboy
12-11-2014, 07:38 PM

George warming up at ER

Great photo Brian.

When I was in Primary 3 at Macmerry he married my teacher Miss Grant.

I remember at the 1972 Olympics the bookies favourite was Valery Borzov in the 100 metres. On the front page of the Radio Times there was a picture of said Russian with the caption The fastest man in the world.

He wasn't, George was faster.

--------
12-11-2014, 08:01 PM
George McNeil vs Ivan Sproule

When both in their prime, that would have been a race!

Nope. It would have been a procession.

George first, Ivan also-ran.

George was an Olympic gold-medal sprinter - world-class.

(Or would have been if it weren't for the snobbery of the AAA.)

IWasThere2016
13-11-2014, 01:25 AM
George is hilarious!

Billy McKirdy
13-11-2014, 01:31 AM
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or if it's even allowed (admin's feel free to delete if so)

George McNeil is performing a show called the 'The Fastest Man In The World' in The Dirty Martini (in Le Monde) on George street tonight at 9pm

It's the story about how he could have been an Olympic sprinter but instead signed for the mighty Hibernian.

A friend of mine works there and said I could post up an offer for all Hibs.net people when I mentioned I posted on here. 2-4-1 tickets and tickets are usually £10 each.

Thanks
J

Michty me!! I was a 2 month old premature when he was banging them in for us, no wonder I've never heard of him, funny guy you say? He must be of a certain vintage for sure?

mim
13-11-2014, 10:39 AM

George warming up at ER

That doesn't look like ER?

Hibby Bairn
13-11-2014, 10:50 AM
That doesn't look like ER?

Cow shed under development?

Peevemor
13-11-2014, 10:52 AM

It's brilliant! It's the first time I've seen that photo.

mim
13-11-2014, 10:56 AM

Where are the floodlight pylons?

scoopyboy
13-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Very good point.

Still convinced it's Easter Road with the coo shed in progress.

brog
13-11-2014, 11:37 AM
George is one of the best & funniest speakers I've ever heard! IIRC his dad was Provost of Tranent & great friends with Tom Hart. Ridiculous shamateur rules in those days & a real shame George never got to run in the Olympics.

JimBHibees
13-11-2014, 11:38 AM

Maybe they took them down to do the work on the shed?

brog
13-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Very good point.

Still convinced it's Easter Road with the coo shed in progress.
:agree:

scoopyboy
13-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Maybe they took them down to do the work on the shed?

I had thought of that as well but with games in December they would have needed all four.

Golden Bear
13-11-2014, 01:20 PM

I think I'm right in saying that both the pylons and the lights were replaced round about the same time?

Saturday Boy
13-11-2014, 01:27 PM
I think I'm right in saying that both the pylons and the lights were replaced round about the same time?
I think the pylons are there, but because of the camera exposure being set for the "dark" pitch and players, the sky has whited out, taking the pylon with it. I had a go at enlarging the photo (nightmare on an iPad) and can just make out some faint traces of a pylon to the right of the girders.

Golden Bear
13-11-2014, 01:31 PM
I think the pylons are there, but because of the camera exposure being set for the "dark" pitch and players, the sky has whited out, taking the pylon with it. I had a go at enlarging the photo (nightmare on an iPad) and can just make out some faint traces of a pylon to the right of the girders.

Yep - I wasn't 100% sure about the pylons but I do remember that all the lights were replaced and they made a huge difference.

scoopyboy
13-11-2014, 01:52 PM

Yes I see it now.

Drummer
13-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Didn't he win the new year Powderhall sprint

Lucius Apuleius
13-11-2014, 10:07 PM
And a great servant to the Binos as well.

heretoday
14-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Great pic. I remember his appearance v St Johnstone because of his uncanny ability to curl his corners from the left almost into the net, causing the Saints goalie Mike Mcvittie big problems.

The report n the programme for the Ne'er Day match in 1966 mentions "George had a happy baptism into senior football against St Johnstone......and almost got among the goals with two inswinging corner kicks".

He was hardly a "legend" but certainly a memorable character.