PDA

View Full Version : Spectacularly under-rated/under appreciated bands/musicians

Northernhibee
11-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Thread for stuff that's fallen under the radar compared to what they deserve.

First for me is a band who have been successful but are IMO the best band in the world - Brian Jonestown Massacre. When at their best and on form as good anything you'll hear from the Stones/Floyd etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHMPh0gcjgA

easty
12-11-2014, 06:27 AM
The Rifles, I don't understand why they've never been more popular. Much better than a load of other *****y bands who seem to have done a lot better.

Pretty Boy
12-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Thread for stuff that's fallen under the radar compared to what they deserve.

First for me is a band who have been successful but are IMO the best band in the world - Brian Jonestown Massacre. When at their best and on form as good anything you'll hear from the Stones/Floyd etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHMPh0gcjgA

100% this.

Saw them live a few times and wheb they are in the mood and can keep it together they are sensational.

The_Exile
12-11-2014, 10:46 AM
Jeff Buckley, although it would seem he's a bit of a marmite character, it still amazes me how few people actually know about this guy.

Hiber-nation
12-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Silversun Pickups, particularly the Swoon album which is the best rock album I've heard for years.

Mr White
12-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Iron & Wine. Unlikely to ever gain mass appeal and radio play due to his style and some subject matter but for me his best lyrics are amongst the best I've ever heard- The Trapeze Swinger for example. Having said that his album last year was poor but around the well, creek drank the cradle, kiss each other clean, our endless numbered days and the shepherds dog are well worth a listen.

patch1875
12-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Headswim

Pretty Boy
12-11-2014, 07:22 PM
McLusky.

McLusky Do Dallas was one of the best albums of the 00s imo.

Northernhibee
12-11-2014, 07:30 PM
McLusky.

McLusky Do Dallas was one of the best albums of the 00s imo.

Brilliant band.

"Nick Berry had talent in a previous life"

Carheenlea
12-11-2014, 07:50 PM
I would argue that Scotland`s own The Phantom Band are most definitely underrated. In the Chemikal Underground stable and released their third album in the summer. Their live shows are infectious - I`m a regular gig goer and they are up there with as good as I`ve seen in a live environment, with Rick Anthony (AKA Rick Redbeard) a strong / charismatic frontman. More than deserve a higher profile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HCEu663rqU

Northernhibee
12-11-2014, 07:54 PM
I would argue that Scotland`s own The Phantom Band are most definitely underrated. In the Chemikal Underground stable and released their third album in the summer. Their live shows are infectious - I`m a regular gig goer and they are up there with as good as I`ve seen in a live environment, with Rick Anthony (AKA Rick Redbeard) a strong / charismatic frontman. More than deserve a higher profile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HCEu663rqU

The Phantom band are wonderful, love their debut album.

Pretty Boy
12-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Oh and Mudhoney as well.

Probably the band that really kickstarted the lates 80s/early 90s grunge and alt rock scene yet they are usually a footnote underneath Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins et al when it's discussed despite paving the way.

.Sean.
17-11-2014, 04:51 PM
The Rifles.

seeing them on Wednesday for about the 10th time and I can't wait.

degenerated
17-11-2014, 05:21 PM
The Newtown grunts, long split up, were one of the best Scottish punk bands from the mid to late 90's and could go from the serious to the flippant with ease

New Town Grunts - They Shall Not Pass: http://youtu.be/jZaE7vr_544

Another great punk band and much under rated are toxic ephex from Aberdeen. Although described by Jello Biafra as Scotland's best ever punk band.

Toxik Ephex - Social Control: http://youtu.be/_664sF2DbQo

hibsbollah
17-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Oh and Mudhoney as well.

Probably the band that really kickstarted the lates 80s/early 90s grunge and alt rock scene yet they are usually a footnote underneath Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins et al when it's discussed despite paving the way.

I used to love Mudhoney but wasn't aware they were particularly under the radar. One band I cant believe didn't make it were Whipping Boy, irish band from the 90s. Album called Heartworm still one of my favourites.

Onceinawhile
17-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Band I like who never seemed to gain much traction are the subways. Wouldn't say they're massively underrated, but don't get the audience they deserve imo.

On a different note I'd also say immortal technique and talib kweli are hugely underrated. Probably because they both distribute their own stuff and don't rap about bitches and hos.

easty
17-11-2014, 08:28 PM
The Rifles.

seeing them on Wednesday for about the 10th time and I can't wait.

I already had tickets for Kasabian or I'd be going too.

Pretty Boy
17-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Band I like who never seemed to gain much traction are the subways. Wouldn't say they're massively underrated, but don't get the audience they deserve imo.

On a different note I'd also say immortal technique and talib kweli are hugely underrated. Probably because they both distribute their own stufd and don't rap about bitches and hos.

Immortal Technique is a great shout.

Mikey09
17-11-2014, 10:15 PM
B Dolan...... ****in Awsome!!! Film the police is just quality. Another good tune of his to check out on you tube is The Devil is alive.

Northernhibee
17-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Stellastarr* were from New York and released their debut a few months before The Killers released theirs. Their debut was ten times the album that Hot Fuss was and I'd have considered them just as marketable. Baffles me why they aren't one of the biggest bands in the world.

Haymaker
17-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Www.elmorgan.co.uk

She is part of a great group called Dear Everyone who you can find on facebook.

She, like the other two of DE, is fantastic. And I am honoured to call all three friends.

Hibby70
18-11-2014, 06:20 AM
Currently I'd say The Rifles. The Paddingtons and Dogs from the recent past.

WeeRussell
21-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Courteeners - St Jude is the best album of this millenium
The Rifles - Most people have never heard of them, sin.
Tribes - No longer around (Johnny Lloyd working on a solo album as we speak) but their album 'Baby' will blow you away.

No wonder it's hard to make it to the top in music when the radio is full of utter pish and the above are barely mentioned.

Hank Schrader
21-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Stellastarr* were from New York and released their debut a few months before The Killers released theirs. Their debut was ten times the album that Hot Fuss was and I'd have considered them just as marketable. Baffles me why they aren't one of the biggest bands in the world.

My Coco is an absolute belter of a track.

easty
21-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Tribes - No longer around (Johnny Lloyd working on a solo album as we speak) but their album 'Baby' will blow you away.

No wonder it's hard to make it to the top in music when the radio is full of utter pish and the above are barely mentioned.

I'm a massive Courteeners fan, and I've lost count of how many times I've went to see them, but I wouldn't say that St Jude is the best album of the millennium, thats quite a statement.

WeeRussell
22-11-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm a massive Courteeners fan, and I've lost count of how many times I've went to see them, but I wouldn't say that St Jude is the best album of the millennium, thats quite a statement.

Since the year 2000?... I stand by it :greengrin

snooky
22-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Sandy Wright. Edinburgh singer/songwriter/musician.
Deserves much more plaudits than he gets.

"Hotel Caledonia"
https://myspace.com/sandywrightmusic/music/song/hotel-caledonia-60943101-66504617

Also he disny like fitba' so he won't see this post.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Dunno why Damien Rice seems to have faded away.

patch1875
23-11-2014, 12:54 PM

New album out last month is pretty good but your right he's fallen off the radar a bit.

Loopz
30-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Inspiral Carpets for me. Heard Biggest Mountain last week and immediately thought of this thread.

Sylar
01-12-2014, 07:34 AM

Releasing 2 albums then buggering off to drown your sorrows for 8 years will do that to your career.

His new album is good but there was only so long he could go on milking 9 and O.

fordie2
01-12-2014, 09:17 PM

On a different note I'd also say immortal technique and talib kweli are hugely underrated. Probably because they both distribute their own stuff and don't rap about bitches and hos.

The Subways are tremendous, lost count of how many times I've been to see them.

I'm also a massive fan of The Sunshine Underground and hopefully Stanley Odd might get some recognition aswell

degenerated
03-12-2014, 08:02 PM
Inspiral Carpets for me. Heard Biggest Mountain last week and immediately thought of this thread.
I've been listening to them quite a bit recently after coming across the cool as ****** ep when looking through records.
I'd loved the life album back when it came out but hadn't heard any of the others until recently.

Mibbes Aye
03-12-2014, 09:53 PM

Good shout.

And what about Ride?

Victim of timing IMO - they fell into that dearth period between Madchester and Britpop where UK indie music was just utterly out of fashion when compared to grunge, techno and house and hip-hop.

Mr White
03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Good shout.

And what about Ride?

Victim of timing IMO - they fell into that dearth period between Madchester and Britpop where UK indie music was just utterly out of fashion when compared to grunge, techno and house and hip-hop.
Announced last week they're reforming for some shows, playing carnival of light in full I think.

Mibbes Aye
03-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Mazzy Star maybe should have had much wider recognition when I think about it.

And early, pre-major label REM as well, as opposed to post-'Green' REM (I know 'Green' was on a major label, but it was cuspy :greengrin).

Albums like Life's Rich Pageant and Document were sublime and if the band had stopped recording after those we would be lauding and lamenting them as beautiful geniuses.

Mibbes Aye
03-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Announced last week they're reforming for some shows, playing carnival of light in full I think.

Will keep an eye out (the one that's not gazing at my shoes obviously) :greengrin

Mr White
04-12-2014, 06:01 AM

Will keep an eye out (the one that's not gazing at my shoes obviously) :greengrin

:greengrin

Hamish
04-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Showing my age here -Hamish Stuart, one time AWB member, recorded with an enormous range of performers ranging from Bette Midler to Paul McCartney. Still performs with his own band to critical acclaim and is undoubtedly the best RnB singer this country has produced. Ridiculous that he has not received wider acclaim in his home country.

Loopz
06-12-2014, 12:40 AM
Good shout.

And what about Ride?

J, my 9 year old son Scott has this on his Itouch, near perfection as a song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E5zTuVhNs5c

Sylar
06-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Going to throw Imelda May into this list.

Not my usual genre but I got my wife tickets to see her on Wednesday and her and her band were awesome live. Such a beautiful style that's been lost somewhere along the way.

Stranraer
06-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Kodaline. They are absolutely outstanding, I first heard them through Radio 1 and can't get enough of their album.

Morrissey doesn't get the recognition he deserves, World Peace Is None Of Your Business is an outstanding album!

Mr White
06-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Kodaline. They are absolutely outstanding, I first heard them through Radio 1 and can't get enough of their album.

Morrissey doesn't get the recognition he deserves, World Peace Is None Of Your Business is an outstanding album!
Agree re kodaline, excellent album. However if morrisey got any more recognition his ego would be visible from space :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
06-12-2014, 05:44 PM

That's good parenting :aok: :greengrin

When Ride's name gets mentioned that's always the song I hear in my head. Absolute classic.

hibsbollah
06-12-2014, 07:13 PM

Great shout for Ride. A great band. But Leave Them All Behind is their finest moment imo.

Hiber-nation
06-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Great shout for Ride. A great band. But Leave Them All Behind is their finest moment imo.

:agree:

One of my favourite intros of all time.

TRC
06-12-2014, 11:37 PM
maybe a bit of a tangent but anybody a fan of black diamond express fantastic edinburgh band. Maybe a little niche to make it to super stardom but i think they are amazing to watch.

Northernhibee
07-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Always thought that Ian Broudie was up there with the echelons of Ray Davies etc. as a songwriter, went to see the Lightning Seeds four years ago and it was ****ing joyous as an evening.

Sylar
08-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Doubt many people will have even heard of them but The Amity Affliction, for me, are vastly underrated. A beautiful blend of complex lyrics, spectacular music and excellent on stage performances.

The guttural screaming means they're never likely to feature as a mainstream band but they've been aired a fair amount on Radio 1's rock show since they released their new album.

Chasing Ghosts is a spectacular album IMO.

KingFranck
09-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Defo The Rifles and the 10:04s

KingFranck
09-12-2014, 05:11 PM

What's weird about The Rifles I made a cd up of what I believe is their best stuff for the car. Winter Calls comes on and my daughter starts singing along asked how do you know that song? It was in Gavin and Stacey that should have elevated the band!!

Loopz
04-01-2015, 01:49 AM
A band from Edinburgh I first heard on H.Net, Ballboy. Saw them at Electric Circus and called the rather attractive girl at the bar a rude cow (exact words) for pushing in and getting served before me. 10 mins later she was on stage and I realised she was in the band.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOJXT6UFhQI

Hiber-nation
04-01-2015, 07:24 AM
A band from Edinburgh I first heard on H.Net, Ballboy. Saw them at Electric Circus and called the rather attractive girl at the bar a rude cow (exact words) for pushing in and getting served before me. 10 mins later she was on stage and I realised she was in the band.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOJXT6UFhQI

Ah Ballboy are great. Spectacularly under-rated alright. Sure at least one of them is a Hibbie.

Mr White
08-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Frank Turner. Maybe not all that under-rated given he played the olympic opening ceremony but still deserves more credit and radio play I reckon. Last 3 albums have all been outstanding.

portyhibernian
09-01-2015, 01:22 AM
Suede. Streets ahead of both Oasis and Blur in a time where that was all anyone talked about.

easty
09-01-2015, 06:48 AM
Suede. Streets ahead of both Oasis and Blur in a time where that was all anyone talked about.

I like Suede, but they weren't as popular as Blur or Oasis because they weren't as good.

Hibee87
09-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Shed Seven

patch1875
09-01-2015, 12:06 PM
I like Suede, but they weren't as popular as Blur or Oasis because they weren't as good.

I prefer Suede to both of them, not sure they qualify for the thread though.

Andy74
09-01-2015, 01:12 PM
A wee shout for a good Hibby - Withered Hand.

Mainly just one guy, Dan Wilson, but plays with a bigger band at times and collaborates with the likes of Belle & Sebastian and King Creosote.

Two albums so far Good News and New Gods, the second a bit cheerier than the first but great tunes and brilliant writing. He was brought up a Jehova's Witness and so quite a lot about questioning religion and just general doubts about life and himself.

Seen him last week in London and he is playing Sneaky Pete's at the end of the month - deserves a decent following.

Not one to play in front of kids, however!

Oscar T Grouch
09-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Mainly just one guy, Dan Wilson, but plays with a bigger band at times and collaborates with the likes of Belle & Sebastian and King Creosote.

Two albums so far Good News and New Gods, the second a bit cheerier than the first but great tunes and brilliant writing. He was brought up a Jehova's Witness and so quite a lot about questioning religion and just general doubts about life and himself.

Seen him last week in London and he is playing Sneaky Pete's at the end of the month - deserves a decent following.

Got my ticket for this gig, great band, I have a three night stretch at the end of the month at Sneaky Petes, Bwani Junction, Withered hand and honeyblood, I've also got tickets to see Slipknot and Korn on the 18th in Glasgow.

I concur with Andy, you can check Withered Hand out on Spotify, I'm sure bother their albums are on there.

Andy74
09-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Got my ticket for this gig, great band, I have a three night stretch at the end of the month at Sneaky Petes, Bwani Junction, Withered hand and honeyblood, I've also got tickets to see Slipknot and Korn on the 18th in Glasgow.

I concur with Andy, you can check Withered Hand out on Spotify, I'm sure bother their albums are on there.

He had a good solo accoustic gig on Tuesday there - The Lexington in London, played about an hour as part of a label evening. Pam Berry who was in Black Tambourine back in the day joined him with some vocals - she is generally part of the bigger band gigs he does too. He can kind of shamble through some stuff, fluffing intros and words, which is part of his charm but it was actually pretty polished. Just one capo in the wrong place all night.

I use Rara which is similar to spotify and he's certainly on that.

Hiber-nation
22-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Hope Of The States - whatever happened to them? 2 excellent albums then disappeared.

Northernhibee
22-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Hope Of The States - whatever happened to them? 2 excellent albums then disappeared.

They split, sadly. But you're spot on, they were ace. A couple of their members went on to form a band called Troubles who produced mostly instrumental Sigur Ros/Explosions in the Sky esque music.

I'd add Laura Marling to this list, saw her on the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury in 2011 in the sun and she was the highlight of that entire festival for me. She should be headlining it one day.

Here's her new song if you haven't heard it - it's absolutely gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdCdT_dcmUI

Moulin Yarns
23-01-2015, 12:53 PM
sadly no longer with us, but more people should hear Martyn Bennett

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04z26vy/celtic-connections-opening-concert-martyn-bennetts-grit

Peevemor
23-01-2015, 01:27 PM
sadly no longer with us, but more people should hear Martyn Bennett

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04z26vy/celtic-connections-opening-concert-martyn-bennetts-grit

I knew Martyn pretty well. He considered himself a bit of a foodie, to the extent that he wouldn't admit to me that he hadn't heard of the "helmetto" and "bellendo" cheeses that you find in the Italian mountains! :tee hee:

In saying that he was a good guy, a good musician and a very interesting composer.

He unfortunately left us far, far too soon.

wearehibernian
18-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Falling into that category is surely The Dickies. For all of you old Punks who remember them... I have just written my first 'real' blog article here on the band. They are still going and play Edinburgh in August 2016. They have continued to release albums so I never, ever associate them with that horrible word - nostalgia. Hope you can take some time to have a read: http://www.macvannan.com/#!DAWN-OF-THE-DICKIES-DOWN-UNDER-Guitar-legend-Stan-Lee-chats-about-The-Dickies-Fruit-Bats-and-Karaoke/c1q8z/3

:flag:

Ronniekirk
18-01-2016, 09:48 PM

Heard them getting plugged on Janice Forsyth show recently when she was interviewing the guy that owned Bruce's records back in the day He clearly still has an ear for a new band as some good stuff on New Gods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk