PDA

View Full Version : Callum Paterson called up for Scotland...

3pm
10-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Oh well.

SaulGoodman
10-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Um

Green&White
10-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Oh well.

Ive really enjoyed Strachan's time in charge of scotland but his call ups for these two games have been pure honking:grr:

woodythehibee
10-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Oh dear,

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Ive really enjoyed Strachan's time in charge of scotland but his call ups for these two games have been pure honking:grr:

i disagree. He knows the squad, he knows the team he wants to play. Tkaing in 1 or 2 uncapped younger players at a time lets him see what they are like (attitude, workwise). I would rather these players get a taste of a squad that is buzzing than one that is at a low.

You will quickly see what players then rise to the challenge. I would worry if there were 4 or 5 of these new guys and them getting a sniff of a start but it wont happen

S4uzee
10-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Not saying David Gray should be called up but hes better than Paterson :faf:

1875er
10-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Would be better with Craig Paterson.....

Callum Paterson is a honking little thug that should be nowhere near the Scotland setup....

SaulGoodman
10-11-2014, 12:00 PM

By a mile

Green&White
10-11-2014, 12:01 PM
i disagree. He knows the squad, he knows the team he wants to play. Tkaing in 1 or 2 uncapped younger players at a time lets him see what they are like (attitude, workwise). I would rather these players get a taste of a squad that is buzzing than one that is at a low.

You will quickly see what players then rise to the challenge. I would worry if there were 4 or 5 of these new guys and them getting a sniff of a start but it wont happen

thats fair enough for the england game to a certain extent but not the ireland game which we need to win! there are much better players playing at a much higher standard than paterson and that rangers boy that he could have called up

i agree re the one or two uncapped players to have a look but it needs to be the right time and the right players. for me now is not the time and they are not the players.

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 12:08 PM
thats fair enough for the england game to a certain extent but not the ireland game which we need to win! there are much better players playing at a much higher standard than paterson and that rangers boy that he could have called up

i agree re the one or two uncapped players to have a look but it needs to be the right time and the right players. for me now is not the time and they are not the players.

These guys are there for an experience. Think of Walcott at World Cup or Fat Ronanldo at 1994 World Cup. There maybe players playing at higher level but pointless getting these guys in who will not even get a strip on the Ireland game when you can get a couple of younger boys up to experience it.

To be fair, i cant really think of any at the mintue who would merit it. Perhaps Jordan Rhodes but beyond that....whats the point in calling up a 28/29 year old uncapped payer who will not get into more squads and will not get in the match squad for Ireland.

I think Strachan knows what he is doing and the squad at the mintue seems to be in a brilliant place. I don't like Patterson as a player but he is young enough to improve. Guald got into the last squad and they were "must win" matches and know he is out. He is giving everyone a wee taste and seeing how they react to it

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Embarrassing :faf:

bingo70
10-11-2014, 12:15 PM
What's happened to shinnie?

Surely Paterson isn't rated above him? He's utter *****.

TheFamous1875
10-11-2014, 12:20 PM
The only thing he has over Gray is his age, and with that, the scope to become an even better player. Gray is the superior full back of the two without question, but his career may be seen as on a downward trajectory, being in the first division with Hibs in his mid twenties, whereas Paterson is a young lad with a lot of promise (not as much as the **** make out, mind!) who'll definitely go on to better things in his career if he keeps on improving.

If we were in the Premiership, this would be Gray's call up.

Beefster
10-11-2014, 12:21 PM
I agree with this call up. There has been a dearth, in the Scotland squad for years, of ferret-faced, lanky twats who wear alice bands and can't grow satisfactory facial hair. Patterson solves the problem in one fell swoop.

TheFamous1875
10-11-2014, 12:22 PM
What's happened to shinnie?

Surely Paterson isn't rated above him? He's utter *****.

Shinnie's a left-back, and he should be in the squad, behind Andy Robertson.

Northernhibee
10-11-2014, 12:23 PM

The singer David Gray is better than that dirty Rolf-Harris-on-stilts freak.

bingo70
10-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Shinnie's a left-back, and he should be in the squad, behind Andy Robertson.

Right enough, I remember him playing at right back against us in a game though and he was excellent, think he created one and won a penalty?

Wilson
10-11-2014, 12:27 PM
I agree with this call up. There has been a dearth, in the Scotland squad for years, of ferret-faced, lanky twats who wear alice bands and can't grow satisfactory facial hair. Patterson solves the problem in one fell swoop.

Never thought of him as world class until I read your post :not worth

Mark79
10-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Anyone know what strachans mobile number is? Had a missed call on mobile and just wondered if I was maybe due one.

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Wouldnt be an issue on here if he wasn't a Jambo.

If it was someone we had never heard of who was playing for ipswich then people would accept it more. Think with how well Scotland have been playing and how far the squad has came in the last 2 years, the manager deserves to make the calls he is making

Hiber-nation
10-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Just told a jambo in the office and even he burst out laughing. Don't get this at all...bizarre.

bingo70
10-11-2014, 12:36 PM

If it was someone we had never heard of who was playing for ipswich then people would accept it more. Think with how well Scotland have been playing and how far the squad has came in the last 2 years, the manager deserves to make the calls he is making

If he wasn't a jambo we wouldn't have noticed how ***** he is.

SmithyHibee
10-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Think it's more the case that most of us have seen him play, and have seen first hand how honking he is! Dread to think what would happen if he lined up against Raheem Sterling (if he's not too tired)

Sir David Gray
10-11-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm stunned.

As someone else has said, I'm not necessarily advocating that David Gray should get a call up but he's miles better than Paterson.

GlasgowHibee
10-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Some people forget that he's only 19. There's no doubt that he's got the physical attributes to be a top footballer, it just depends on whether or not he has the footballing ability - which I believe he does, to a certain extent.

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Think it's more the case that most of us have seen him play, and have seen first hand how honking he is! Dread to think what would happen if he lined up against Raheem Sterling (if he's not too tired)

Thing is, you just dont know he is playing against Sterling.

I agree, we know he is honking but I'm struggling to think of another under 24 right back to act as cover. Guy has played for u 19's & u 21's and Strachan is getting him in to see what he is like. Patterson is 19 , he is nowhere near the finished atricle. He does however have good physical attributes compared to others in that position. Strachan is looking at potential here, nothing more.

I certainly dont think it is worth getting knickers in a twist. Be surprised if he gets anywhere near any gametime. It gives guys like Scott Allan, Guald, Stanton, GMS, King etc the knowledge that the manager is watching and will give you the chance to shine.

No big deal in my eyes. In fact, something we should have been doing years ago instead of giving caps to guys like a 28 year old Ian black

SteveHFC
10-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Paterson is a decent player but seriously? :confused:

SaulGoodman
10-11-2014, 12:53 PM
I certainly dont think it is worth getting knickers in a twist. Be surprised if he gets anywhere near any gametime. It gives guys like Scott Allan, Guald, Stanton, GMS, King etc the knowledge that the manager is watching and will give you the chance to shine.

Well it certainly shows them that you can play as well as you want, you'll still not get picked while "Dr Funk" gets in the squad :hilarious

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 12:54 PM
I know i have posted a lot here and sounds like i am sticking up for Patterson but those who are scratching their heads at this.....can you name another young Scottish full back (right back) to get into the squad to act as cover??? I'm struggling, although there must be 1.

Billy Whizz
10-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Think he's serving a domestic ban, so wouldn't have been available for Hearts game this weekend

Sir David Gray
10-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I know i have posted a lot here and sounds like i am sticking up for Patterson but those who are scratching their heads at this.....can you name another young Scottish full back (right back) to get into the squad to act as cover??? I'm struggling, although there must be 1.

He's not young but David Gray has been excellent for us this season and would surely have been a decent player to have as back up.

Golden Bear
10-11-2014, 12:56 PM
And here's me thinking that Gordon Strachan was doing the Scotland job proud ----------------------------------------- up until now that is.

green.and.white
10-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Lost for words on this one...

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 12:59 PM
He's not young but David Gray has been excellent for us this season and would surely have been a decent player to have as back up.

Yeah, i agree. but as discussed earier, Strchan has called up 2/3 youngsters into all the squads recently. He has spoken about this at length about getting them in to taste what it's like, to let him see them and to let others see that he is willing to call you up.

Gray would get in 1, 2 maybe 3 squads. Patterson at his age would be looking to get into a hell of a lot more if he develops. As someone said above, Gray would seem to be on a downward spiral. Patterson has probably played more than 100 games for Hearts and has u19 & u21 games.

I think most Scotland fans who are not hibees would not be questioning this that much. We are not blessed with 4/5 good players in each position

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 01:00 PM
And here's me thinking that Gordon Strachan was doing the Scotland job proud ----------------------------------------- up until now that is.

how?

lord bunberry
I'm lost for words.

GlasgowHibee

Therein lies the problem, he's not young. Strachan has already shown that he's prepared to call up youngsters purely for experience. The chances of David Gray ever getting a Scotland cap are slim to none, whereas Rolf Harris has got a fairly big chance of getting a few.

This is pretty much a non-story, young Scottish RB who's competed in U19+U21's is called up to main squad for experience. :rolleyes:

SteveHFC
Can see Whittaker at right-back on Friday with Robertson at left-back. Paterson won't get on at all.

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Therein lies the problem, he's not young. Strachan has already shown that he's prepared to call up youngsters purely for experience. The chances of David Gray ever getting a Scotland cap are slim to none, whereas Rolf Harris has got a fairly big chance of getting a few.

This is pretty much a non-story, young Scottish RB who's competed in U19+U21's is called up to main squad for experience. :rolleyes:

i agree

lord bunberry
10-11-2014, 01:04 PM

Why does he have to be young? Surely it's about picking a player with the ability to step up if the first choice gets injured. God help us if we're forced to play Rolf junior.

Winston Ingram
10-11-2014, 01:04 PM
If he's picking Championship full backs then David Gray is miles ahead of Patterson.

I'm stunned by this. Patterson's bum fluff, acne and alice band are more talented than he is.

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Why does he have to be young? Surely it's about picking a player with the ability to step up if the first choice gets injured. God help us if we're forced to play Rolf junior.

Name me another right back to call up. I would say Gray has played lower league English football and 10 decent games for hibs.

Thing is our 1st choice Alan Hutton is injured. 2nd choice is Phil bardsley is also injured. 3rd choice is Stevie Whittaker will play. So Rolf would be 4th choice if that at all.

We dont have 4/5 excellent player per position.

Libby Hibby
10-11-2014, 01:10 PM
I am all for good, talented youngsters getting called up if it's for the good of the squad (even Hearts ones) but that's just the thing, I have never, ever watched a game Paterson has been involved in and thought...yip, he's a good player, he's a future internationalist...it's always been...'he's honking' or 'he's murder, get into him'...far too often the laddy appears that he can't even trap a bag of sand!!!

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Phew, i have thought of one......Dave McKay. He is not young, he is miles better than David Gray and Patterson. Played at higher level than both and is more consistant. Why does he not pick him.

Maybe because he wants to give a young guy a little bit of experience who he thinks will develop and be all the better for it. Non story and being made into a massive thing be Hibs fans and some Jambos.

I will rather let Stachan do what he is doing. Everyone is playing for him, team doing well and the squad seems to have a good balance of competitiveness and togetherness about it.

Sir David Gray
10-11-2014, 01:11 PM

When I say he's not young, David Gray's 26, not 36.

There's many players out there who have started their international careers well into their 20s.

iwasthere1972
10-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Who?

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 01:14 PM
When I say he's not young, David Gray's 26, not 36.

There's many players out there who have started their international careers well into their 20s.

I agree, Paul Hartley being one. Gray has played a handfull (10 maybe) games for Hibs in championship. before hand, lower, lower league in England. He has to do more to merit a call up. Patterson has over 100 games for Hearts and will be known through the Scotland youth set up.

I think Grant Hanley is honking but he is 1st choice centre half. We dont have an abundance of choice.

lord bunberry
10-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Name me another right back to call up. I would say Gray has played lower league English football and 10 decent games for hibs.

Thing is our 1st choice Alan Hutton is injured. 2nd choice is Phil bardsley is also injured. 3rd choice is Stevie Whittaker will play. So Rolf would be 4th choice if that at all.

We dont have 4/5 excellent player per position.

Rolf has played almost his entire hearts career at centre forward. His form at right back is pretty much this season the same as Gray. Putting aside our club leanings I know who I'd rather have in the squad. What do we do if Whittaker gets injured? Rolf isn't good enough to step in and shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. I'm all for taking youngsters along for the experience but they don't need to be part of the proper squad.

Smartie
10-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Looks like I'm the only one that thinks Paterson is actually half-decent. Not internationalist material yet, certainly not playing at the level he is but he's a decent young player, versatile and has potential.

Shame we're in the league we're in because if Gray was doing it at a higher level then I'd like to think he'd get the nod, but Paterson is young, has decent experience for his age and has been in and around Scotland squads before.

It really shows the lack of depth that our squad has in certain positions though.

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Rolf has played almost his entire hearts career at centre forward. His form at right back is pretty much this season the same as Gray. Putting aside our club leanings I know who I'd rather have in the squad. What do we do if Whittaker gets injured? Rolf isn't good enough to step in and shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. I'm all for taking youngsters along for the experience but they don't need to be part of the proper squad.
if he gets injured we are down to 4th or 5th choice right back. The manager knows what he is doing.

Gray isnt near good enough either. Simple as that. The manager/staff know more about Patterson than Gray at the minute so can only make judgements on that

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Looks like I'm the only one that thinks Paterson is actually half-decent. Not internationalist material yet, certainly not playing at the level he is but he's a decent young player, versatile and has potential.

Shame we're in the league we're in because if Gray was doing it at a higher level then I'd like to think he'd get the nod, but Paterson is young, has decent experience for his age and has been in and around Scotland squads before.

It really shows the lack of depth that our squad has in certain positions though.

i agree

carnoustiehibee
10-11-2014, 01:29 PM
I woulda had dundee's Paul McGinn, Kev McDonald or Ryan fraser at Bournemouth before someone who looks like Sid from ice age in the squad

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 01:30 PM
I woulda had dundee's Paul McGinn, Kev McDonald or Ryan fraser at Bournemouth before someone who looks like Sid from ice age in the squad

Neither plays right back though

carnoustiehibee
10-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Neither plays right back though

Paul McGinn does, and doing well for dundee.

heretoday
10-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Didn't realise Strachan was so desperate. What price are Ireland?

JimBHibees
10-11-2014, 01:37 PM
He isnt the best in the world however is very athletic and physically strong so is actually reasonable cover given the injuries to full backs currently.

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Didn't realise Strachan was so desperate. What price are Ireland?

Seriously???

I would understand the "shock" and "embarrassment" if Strachan was doing a stinking job.

Like I say, wouldn't be an issue if it was a 19 year old playing at West Bromwich Albion etc

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Paul McGinn does, and doing well for dundee.

Fair do's. Maybe Strachan knows more of Patterson than he does McGinn. We have a complete lack of depth...We have 2 injuries to this position so not much choice. Think he would rather keep to the system of letting u19 & u 21 plays get a taste of senior squad as this has worked in the past 2 years.

To many people here know better than a very experienced and successful manager it seems

GGTTH07
10-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Jason naismith from St Mirren Is a better young player.

Slicer
10-11-2014, 01:50 PM
What if Whittaker does get injured? If Paterson is there for a taste of it, who is the cover? Fletcher? Mulgrew? One of the centre halves?

SteveHFC
10-11-2014, 01:50 PM
What if Whittaker does get injured? If Paterson is there for a taste of it, who is the cover? Fletcher? Mulgrew? One of the centre halves?

Russell Martin will be playing RB.

carnoustiehibee
10-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Fair do's. Maybe Strachan knows more of Patterson than he does McGinn. We have a complete lack of depth...We have 2 injuries to this position so not much choice. Think he would rather keep to the system of letting u19 & u 21 plays get a taste of senior squad as this has worked in the past 2 years.

To many people here know better than a very experienced and successful manager it seems

As the other guy says even Naismith at st mirren is better. It's nothing to do with playing for hearts, I wasn't bothered when Antti Niemi played

PeterboroHibee
10-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Another strange decision by Strachan. I dont think Paterson is as bad as some will make out (especially on here), but an international standard defender? No chance. Id have thought the obvious replacement would be Shinnie. Can play on both sides, plays at a higher level (although admittedly, non-Celtic SPL players rarely get called up) and has probably been one of the best full backs in Scotland over the last few years.

Despite that, what probably bothers me more is these guys get called up and then dont get anywhere near the pitch. I accept they are late replacements, but we have a friendly as one of the fixtures (even if its against England), and its the perfect opportunity to give some of the more untested guys a chance.

emerald green
10-11-2014, 02:22 PM
I don't want to see anyone in a Scotland squad who has the mentality where he goes out to deliberately injure a fellow professional.

After his wild dirty lunge on Malonga (from behind) in the recent derby I would question not only his ability, but his temperament too.

stoneyburn hibs
10-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Lol

lord bunberry
10-11-2014, 02:30 PM
As the other guy says even Naismith at st mirren is better. It's nothing to do with playing for hearts, I wasn't bothered when Antti Niemi played

When Antti Niemi played for who?

Future17
10-11-2014, 02:38 PM
When Antti Niemi played for who?

He's referring to a "Hearts fan" wind-up on Sportsound years back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62gcFkBHMQ

JimBHibees
10-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Russell Martin will be playing RB.

Would be surprised if that was the case to be honest as Martin has been a standout at centre half alongside Hanley. Would think Whittaker would be first choice right back.

TowerHibs
10-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Well can see some people are not willing to let Strachan do his job on this one....some saying what price are Ireland, some saying another strange decision by Strachan.

As far as i can see, we have 2 injuries to right backs and have 2 players to cover (Whittaker and Martin). he has called Patterson up to provide a) further cover and b) give him the experience of being around the squad. I dont think he expects to call on him, but if needed Strachan probably feels physically he can cope. He would have spoken to the other national managers (Billy Stark for example)

He has done this throughout his tenure - McLeod, McGregor, Guald etc. This is a process he has worked with and is working. The team have improved ten fold under him and he has more than earned the right to call up who he wants.

He is giving a u19&u21 international a chance to see if he can handle it, and use it to progress. With the exception of Guald, these young players that he has called up in 1s & 2s have been based in Scotland and worked through the ranks. This gives hope to other kids who may think they need to jump down south in order to get into the team. This is important for our young players, Scottish clubs and supporters. It gives them the opportunity for Hibs (for example) to say to Cummings - no need to go to Swansea, you will develop here and the Scotland manager has shown he will give you a chance.

Do i think Patterson is international class....no, absoultely not. Neither is David Gray or Naismith at St Mirren. However Patterson is playing for a team that has won a lot of football matches since March/April and must be feeling confident about his game. He can only pick a number of players from a small pool. We have 2 injuries in this department in a part of the pitch (defence)where we have very few players. I reckon he would have chosen Patterson as he knows more about him than the other options available.

The manager has a system in place where the main squad is there and he calls up 1 or 2 younger players. The squad is as happy as it has been in a long time, the overall feeling about Scotland is as high as it has been for 10 years. Maybe he could call up another 28-30 year old as cover. But he hasn't in the past and things have worked out ok.

To get on the managers back for this is fickle to say the least

lord bunberry
10-11-2014, 02:50 PM
He's referring to a "Hearts fan" wind-up on Sportsound years back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62gcFkBHMQ

Oh aye I remember that now

HibbyAndy
10-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Absolute laughable.

Speedy
10-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Would be surprised if that was the case to be honest as Martin has been a standout at centre half alongside Hanley. Would think Whittaker would be first choice right back.

I read that as "Martin will be right back if Whittaker gets injured". Greer and Hanley CB if that's the case.

Greer isn't great either for what it's worth. Very late addition to the international scene.

JimBHibees
10-11-2014, 03:39 PM
I read that as "Martin will be right back if Whittaker gets injured". Greer and Hanley CB if that's the case.

Greer isn't great either for what it's worth. Very late addition to the international scene.

Agree with that.

carnoustiehibee
10-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Hahaha, Ah dinnae, I had him on the end of my rod there, spoilsport

Pete
10-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Strachan has worked wonders with the national team so I'm not going to start criticising him now. It's all about the team, not the individual and maybe he sees attributes in the boy that would benefit the squad. :dunno:

Smartie
10-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Well can see some people are not willing to let Strachan do his job on this one....some saying what price are Ireland, some saying another strange decision by Strachan.

As far as i can see, we have 2 injuries to right backs and have 2 players to cover (Whittaker and Martin). he has called Patterson up to provide a) further cover and b) give him the experience of being around the squad. I dont think he expects to call on him, but if needed Strachan probably feels physically he can cope. He would have spoken to the other national managers (Billy Stark for example)

He has done this throughout his tenure - McLeod, McGregor, Guald etc. This is a process he has worked with and is working. The team have improved ten fold under him and he has more than earned the right to call up who he wants.

He is giving a u19&u21 international a chance to see if he can handle it, and use it to progress. With the exception of Guald, these young players that he has called up in 1s & 2s have been based in Scotland and worked through the ranks. This gives hope to other kids who may think they need to jump down south in order to get into the team. This is important for our young players, Scottish clubs and supporters. It gives them the opportunity for Hibs (for example) to say to Cummings - no need to go to Swansea, you will develop here and the Scotland manager has shown he will give you a chance.

Do i think Patterson is international class....no, absoultely not. Neither is David Gray or Naismith at St Mirren. However Patterson is playing for a team that has won a lot of football matches since March/April and must be feeling confident about his game. He can only pick a number of players from a small pool. We have 2 injuries in this department in a part of the pitch (defence)where we have very few players. I reckon he would have chosen Patterson as he knows more about him than the other options available.

The manager has a system in place where the main squad is there and he calls up 1 or 2 younger players. The squad is as happy as it has been in a long time, the overall feeling about Scotland is as high as it has been for 10 years. Maybe he could call up another 28-30 year old as cover. But he hasn't in the past and things have worked out ok.

:agree: Good post.

Waxy
10-11-2014, 04:08 PM
This is weird.I'm having a strange dream that i'm reading Hibs.net and there's a thread saying Calum Paterson has been called up for Scotland, and i'm even replying.it's quite vivid.I probably need help.

Smartie
10-11-2014, 04:10 PM
This is weird.I'm having a strange dream that i'm reading Hibs.net and there's a thread saying Calum Paterson has been called up for Scotland, and i'm even replying.it's quite vivid.I probably need help.

As long as it isn't the "Dave Beaumont chasing Wayne Foster up a hill" one. I f*****g hate that dream.

Future17
10-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Hahaha, Ah dinnae, I had him on the end of my rod there, spoilsport

Sorry, you reminded me of the clip and, after another listen, I had to share! :agree:

Mark79
10-11-2014, 04:22 PM

10/10. Brilliant.

Dashing Bob S
10-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Genuinely thought this was a joke. Amazing display of humour from GS. Poor Callum P must be in shock.

Jones28
10-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Is it not a pretty common tactic to get younger guys who will likely have a future in the international game into the squad for experience? It doesn't mean they're going to be playing.

Bronson
10-11-2014, 05:02 PM
I feel for David Gray, been a complete stand out this season and 10 times the player Paterson is. That being said, there are A LOT of better Scottish right backs out there, who too, will be disappointed.

davhibby
10-11-2014, 05:09 PM
He's nowhere near good enough. Most of his games for Hearts have been as a striker and I've never seen him at right back and thought he was any good. Surely if you're going for a young player then Ryan Jack at Aberdeen would be ahead on the list?

Unseen work
10-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Hate him but think he's pretty good and not fussed he has been called up.

In the recent Derby he was out biggest threat IMO with his foward runs and crosses into the box, never noticed him defensively though when iv seen him (not a bad thing)

Think strachans thinks he's like for like for Hutton, tons of energy, likes to get foward and is a good size too. Young guy getting a taste of first team experience

Oscar T Grouch
10-11-2014, 05:28 PM

This is exactly how I see it. He's progreeses through the ages groups and now he's getting a place in the full squad. Fair do's, he is a terrible RB but he has got talent as his precious u21 call ups prove. He'll no get near the starting 11, and whether we like it or not the laddie has potential.

Pretty Boy
10-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Even the resident daft yam in my work just about pissed himself when I told him this news.

Billy Whizz
10-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Will he be the first ever scottish player, if selected, to wear a hair band?

Onceinawhile
10-11-2014, 07:34 PM
So lewis macleod and patterson get called up but Jason Cummings can't get called up for the u-21s?

Libby Hibby
10-11-2014, 07:47 PM
So lewis macleod and patterson get called up but Jason Cummings can't get called up for the u-21s?

Shocking, the laddy is bang in form and u-21's is the least he deserves at present.

Northernhibee
10-11-2014, 08:02 PM
He's nowhere near good enough. Most of his games for Hearts have been as a striker and I've never seen him at right back and thought he was any good. Surely if you're going for a young player then Ryan Jack at Aberdeen would be ahead on the list?

Totally - Ryan Jack's a very good player. Would have him at RB a million times over Rolf.

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Wow. Seriously though, wow.

hibsbollah
10-11-2014, 08:07 PM

:hilarious

EastCalderHibby
10-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Will he be the first ever scottish player, if selected, to wear a hair band?

elastic wages dont stretch to proper hair bands :greengrin

OsloHibs
10-11-2014, 10:06 PM
His looks will put the Irish players off their game.... :shhhsh!:

R11Loaded
10-11-2014, 10:26 PM
I played vs Patterson at juvenile clubs 4 years ago and he was huge compared to everyone, but he's only in football because he's big.

He's not actually great. Never has been. But if you give him full time training he should be average.

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

Hibernia&Alba
10-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Capped for being ugly
You were only capped for being ugly........

Swedish hibee
10-11-2014, 10:47 PM

:blah::blah:
Are you related to him?? Your no half getting yourself in a state over this.

SteveHFC
10-11-2014, 11:37 PM

Spot on mate. I was annoyed earlier about the call-up but not now.

Are people seriously asking what price are Ireland because Paterson got called up :faf:

Geo_1875
10-11-2014, 11:37 PM
As he was already in the under-21 squad Strachan should be applauded for saving the SFA the costs of a new kit and a phone call.

we are hibs
11-11-2014, 07:31 AM
worrying that scotland cant pick a better right back than that, surely theres better than him out there?

WeeRussell
11-11-2014, 12:29 PM
If he wasn't a Hearts player - we'd be surprised by his call-up but there wouldn't be a 4-page thread on it. I suspect many of those contributing are the same that are usually not interested in National football or keen to point out they don't give a f*** about Scotland and are only bothered about Hibs.

Surprised myself by the call-up but I'm over it. I am extremely confident he won't see any minutes on the pitch on Friday. Strachan has made it clear in more than one interview that he is keen to bring along younger heads in the large squads, which is fine by me.

David Gray is indeed a better right-back. We know that, the majority of sensible yams know that, and Strachan will know that. Would imagine he doesn't feel Gray (and others) would benefit as much for the experience as the younger, POTENTIALLY upcoming Scotland player (not for me but we'll see.)

If he lines up against Ireland, or even plays a part - then go radge :aok:

Mikey09
11-11-2014, 04:13 PM

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

PeterboroHibee
11-11-2014, 04:24 PM
If he wasn't a Hearts player - we'd be surprised by his call-up but there wouldn't be a 4-page thread on it. I suspect many of those contributing are the same that are usually not interested in National football or keen to point out they don't give a f*** about Scotland and are only bothered about Hibs.

Surprised myself by the call-up but I'm over it. I am extremely confident he won't see any minutes on the pitch on Friday. Strachan has made it clear in more than one interview that he is keen to bring along younger heads in the large squads, which is fine by me.

David Gray is indeed a better right-back. We know that, the majority of sensible yams know that, and Strachan will know that. Would imagine he doesn't feel Gray (and others) would benefit as much for the experience as the younger, POTENTIALLY upcoming Scotland player (not for me but we'll see.)

If he lines up against Ireland, or even plays a part - then go radge :aok:

To an extent I could at least understand some of the call ups if they played a part, but so many of them just seem to be there to make up the numbers. Beyond 13 or 14 players Strachan always picks, the rest either seem to be considered youngsters who are probably too inexperienced, or older guys who probably arent good enough. Either way we wont know until they get on the pitch (ideally in some of the many friendlies we play).

Bishop Hibee
11-11-2014, 04:44 PM
If I was Graeme Shinnie I'd be disappointed.

cabbageandribs1875
11-11-2014, 05:00 PM
you've got it wrong this time gogs, clum paterson is just pure rank

3pm
11-11-2014, 05:26 PM
If I was Graeme Shinnie I'd be disappointed.

Can't see Graeme Shinnie's Mum being pleased with that.

lapsedhibee
11-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Can't see Graeme Shinnie's Mum being pleased with that.

:greengrin

ekhibee
12-11-2014, 01:04 AM
At the end of the day all the Hearts supporters and sympathizers on Sportsound will be cheering him on, even if nobody else does.

Mikey09
12-11-2014, 11:11 AM
worrying that scotland cant pick a better right back than that, surely theres better than him out there?

There is mate. Stephen O'Donnell is a fantastic right back..... I would have loved Hibs to have signed the lad, although Stubbs has got it spot on with Gray. O'Donnell is a top player, gets up and down the park like I have never seen before, and unlike Ferret Face his delivery is really good. Unreal this lad has been overlooked for Paterson.