PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Sunday Football

Sylar
09-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Choked with the cold so a day on the couch with the footie (and NFL later) beckons.

Been watching the first part of the Ajax game but Aberdeen vs Celtc beckons - another game that Sky are covering, featuring Celtc on Remembrance Sunday...I sincerely hope the game is memorable for the football rather than any possible problems that might arise.

West Brom vs Newcastle and Swansea vs Arsenal also to come this afternoon as well as some tasty fixtures from Europe later (Roma vs Torino, PSG vs Marseille).

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Ben Williams starting for Bradford on BtSport just now. Felipe Morais also playing for them.

Currently 1-0 down to Halifax.

Sylar
09-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Sky muted their microphones again and Celtc not wearing poppies on their shirts...

Come on Aberdeen!

Squealing pig
09-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Disgusting Celtic support.

poolman
09-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Total ****bags the Tics support

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Williams with a great save for Bradford. Mind you it was him making a mike hunt of a cross that gave away the corner in the 1st place.

TheReg!
09-11-2014, 12:39 PM
C'mon Aberdeen, Celtic fans are disgraceful.

vuefrom1875
09-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Just watching the poppyless 'tic..fans an absolute disgrace at the minutes silence!

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Take it some of the Celtic fans booed again? Don't get it, if you don't want to observe a minutes silence for your own reasons then just wait outside until it's finished. Don't make a big show out of it.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Celtic FC - Scotland's shame.

Utter filth.

Come on the Dons.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2014, 12:43 PM
That's the greatest fans in the world you're talking about there.

What a joke that is.

Sc*mbags.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 12:45 PM
This is a cracking cup tie. Real end to end stuff, I'd recommend it.

Sylar
09-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Whilst I'm far from a poppy fascist (and recognise that each individual has the right to chose whether to wear one or not), are Celtc the only club in the UK who, as a club, have elected to not have one on their shirts?

I recognise people like James McLean making the choice to not wear one (and outlining his reasons thus in an open letter) but as a club, are there any others out their disgusting enough to take a club-wide stance?

greenlex
09-11-2014, 12:59 PM
I see Ronny Delia wearing one.

Sir David Gray
1-0 Aberdeen. :thumbsup:

GIRUY Celtic.

greenlex
Dons score. :- )

Aldo
09-11-2014, 01:02 PM
They are a scottish club!!

They have shown totally and utter disregard and lack of respect IMHO.

Lowest of the low.

vuefrom1875
09-11-2014, 01:08 PM
I see Ronny Delia wearing one.

And John Collins!!

Sir David Gray
09-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Celtic equalise.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Bradford equalise, great goal it was too.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 01:14 PM
2-1 Bradford.

Top strike by Morais.

09-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Once again showed themselves up for the vile **** that they are at the minute silence. Disgrace!

Bishop Hibee
Morais playing well. Didn't realise he was only 28. He'd run riot in the Championship but is probably on more money at Bradford than we could pay anyway.

greenlex
2-1 Bradford.

Top strike by Morais.

Did he do that typewriter/ keyboard thing?

Scottie
09-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Try are up there with the worst fans in the world for me never mind Scotland.

They are an utter disgrace of a club and what they stand for and we should never fail to keep reminding them of that.

Scorrie
09-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Has Anthony Stokes had a Wayne Rooney style hair weave/ transplant? He's getting it tight from the Dons fans anyway

Sylar
09-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Be amazed if this finishes 11 v 11 - getting a bit tetchy now.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 01:57 PM
2-1 Bradford FT.

Mad goalmouth scramble at the end. Cracking cup tie.

Sylar
09-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Griffiths on for Stokes.

Barney McGrew
09-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Has Anthony Stokes had a Wayne Rooney style hair weave/ transplant?

Yup.

At least his looks like its worked, Sparky's one looks dreadful :cb

Sergey
09-11-2014, 02:09 PM
The 2pm FA Cup ties are under way and good luck to Maidstone Utd @ Stevenage. They are a really good side to watch.

Keep an eye on Braintree, especially their young forward, Simeone Akinola. He's a recent signing from Harrow Borough and is a really promising looking talent.

BurghHibby
09-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Whilst I'm far from a poppy fascist (and recognise that each individual has the right to chose whether to wear one or not), are Celtc the only club in the UK who, as a club, have elected to not have one on their shirts?

I recognise people like James McLean making the choice to not wear one (and outlining his reasons thus in an open letter) but as a club, are there any others out their disgusting enough to take a club-wide stance?

I think you'll find that we never had poppies on our shirts yesterday either.

Barney McGrew
09-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Very soft second yellow for Scott Brown.

Unlucky :faf:

Sylar
09-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Scott Brown sent off.

Sylar
09-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Hard to see that when the game's not televised and you live hundreds of miles away from a soggy Cowdenbeath :greengrin

Apparently Falkirk didn't wear poppies either but elected for black armbands.

greenlex
09-11-2014, 02:13 PM

I think you will find we are wearing them at home next week.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2014, 02:19 PM
2-1 Celtic, 90th minute.

Typical.

Sylar
09-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Dons 1-2 Tims

Van Dijk - very cool finish.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Keeps my coupon alive so I'll take it.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2014, 02:25 PM

We're going to be wearing special shirts next week which are going to be auctioned afterwards to raise funds for Help for Heroes and both Hibs and QOTS are giving away hundreds of free tickets to current and former servicemen and women.

I highly doubt Celtic will be doing likewise.

Hero76
09-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Smeltic celebrating like the won champions league

Sparky is a totall ned

cabbageandribs1875
09-11-2014, 02:39 PM
shay logan red carded in the referee's room afterwards, foul and abusive language lol@ the irony

greenlex
09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
shay logan red carded in the referee's room afterwards, foul and abusive language lol@ the irony

Certainty something's been said to him about the Tonev situation

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
I didn't see the Aberdeen v Celtic game. Why did they choose not to display a poppy on the shirt, having done so in the past?

Jonnyboy
09-11-2014, 03:23 PM

He got the sponsors man of the match too :greengrin

Thought Brown's second yellow was a joke

HH81
09-11-2014, 03:28 PM
2-1 Bradford FT.

Mad goalmouth scramble at the end. Cracking cup tie.

I was at the game was good and thought Halifax deserved a draw.

Looked more than 8000 there too.

H18S NX
09-11-2014, 03:29 PM
I didn't see the Aberdeen v Celtic game. Why did they choose not to display a poppy on the shirt, having done so in the past?......Maybe waiting for a home game? just like Hibs.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 03:34 PM
I was at the game was good and thought Halifax deserved a draw.

Looked more than 8000 there too.

Would agree with that.

Bradford picked up after half time but thought Halifax could have had at least a couple in the 1st half and had a few chances and half chances late on.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2014, 03:45 PM
......Maybe waiting for a home game? just like Hibs.

Yes, it's certainly possible. To be fair to Celtic, they made a £10,000 donation to Poppy Scotland this week. As for booing a minutes silence from some of their support, I think they're reading history wrongly. Remembrance Sunday is a legacy of WW1, in which thousands of Irishmen also died. I understand why commemorating the British armed forces is problematic to some whose experiences of them are negative e.g. former empire nations, and ultimately war is a barbaric business. For every act of heroism there is an act of brutality. The problem is unpicking those contradictory strands - the Somme from Bloody Sunday.

Chibs
09-11-2014, 04:05 PM
ELVIS has left the building.

Iggy Pope
09-11-2014, 04:11 PM
We're going to be wearing special shirts next week which are going to be auctioned afterwards to raise funds for Help for Heroes and both Hibs and QOTS are giving away hundreds of free tickets to current and former servicemen and women.

I highly doubt Celtic will be doing likewise.

Sorry to pee on your parade.
http://www.celticfc.net/news/7039

You really shouldn't confuse what a club do with how the morons in their support behave.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2014, 04:15 PM

You really shouldn't confuse what a club do with how the morons in their support behave.

I stand corrected.

My other points still stand.

LancashireHibby
09-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Love the FA Cup.

Iggy Pope
09-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Love the FA Cup.

Me too. The round up show on BBC 1 has been great. Gotta love Blyth Spartans. :flag:

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Another defeat for Spurs. Doubtless they'll be looking for another manager within the next few months. They kind of remind me of Hibs: a big club who always manage to get it wrong.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-11-2014, 04:37 PM

A donation is a decent gesture but the reason the entire squad did not display poppies on their shirt is because the fans made a song and dance about it two seasons ago. 'No blood stained poppies on our hoops' was their banner. Although it actually said 'no bloo stained poppies' since the morons spell all their banners incorrectly(Celtc). The club gave in to pressure, which is wrong IMO

HH81
09-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Would agree with that.

Bradford picked up after half time but thought Halifax could have had at least a couple in the 1st half and had a few chances and half chances late on.

The town centre is carnage at present. After a decent game fight after fight. God knows why people bother.

Halifax on BT sport next sunday too.

Stranraer
09-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Another point for Everton. I am extremely surprised by the underperformers in the English Premiership this season. At the beginning I expected Liverpool, Everton and Spurs to be in the top 6... I hope Southampton can continue to hold onto 2nd place.

I wonder what Spurs fans expect of their manager?

Sylar
09-11-2014, 07:26 PM
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/396523/video-celtic-fans-break-remembrance-sunday-silence-pittodrie/

Proof, if needed, that Sky quite clearly muted their mics.

hibsbollah
09-11-2014, 07:40 PM
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/396523/video-celtic-fans-break-remembrance-sunday-silence-pittodrie/

Proof, if needed, that Sky quite clearly muted their mics.

I was telling Mrs Bollah about the booing. She was flabbergasted (being English she doesn't fully grasp the sectarian pish up here) but said she thought it was a good thing that sky muted the mics, so as not to offend normal' people. Which is an argument I suppose, but yet again the media will just ignore it. Sectarianism and bigotry is our nations open secret.

Sylar
09-11-2014, 07:45 PM
I was telling Mrs Bollah about the booing. She was flabbergasted (being English she doesn't fully grasp the sectarian pish up here) but said she thought it was a good thing that sky muted the mics, so as not to offend normal' people. Which is an argument I suppose, but yet again the media will just ignore it. Sectarianism and bigotry is our nations open secret.

On a sensitive day, I suppose I get that argument actually HB.

I really do wish Sky would stop covering their games on Remembrance Day - sadly, it's both predictable and inevitable.

If they were going to protect sensitivities though, they could have muted their mics the entire game as their pro-IRA repetoir was in full voice throughout the game.

The thing that annoys me is that there are active members of the British military who are Celtc fans. There's a significant portion of their crowd who AREN'T so heinous and probably find this as nauseating/cringeworthy as the rest of us - they really need to police from within but they've become such a large minority that they're a law unto themselves.

greengnome
09-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Smeltic celebrating like the won champions league

Sparky is a totall ned

Trying to endear himself to the Smeltic hordes at the second... Another benchwarmer who will be wasted.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 07:58 PM
In fairness to a lot of the Celtic fans there today, having seen various bits of footage on Facebook abd Twitter, this does seem like an occassion when it genuinely is a minority involved. A lot of the later shouts actually sound like people shouting down those disrupting the silence.

A minority is still too many of course.

09-11-2014, 07:58 PM

See I wish that they wouldn't mute the mics - let those ****bags be shown up for what they really are and be shamed on national television. I don't see why they should be 'protected' in anyway. If those idiots want to be shameful enough to boo, chant etc through a minute silence commemorating the soldiers who gave their lives then they should be shown up for it IMO.

Once again those vermin have shown their vile true colours. Utter embarrassment. Once again though the relevant authorities will be quick to sweep it all under the carpet and move swiftly along with the "nothing to see here folks" attitude. God forbid challenge the mighty old firm eh!

Sir David Gray
09-11-2014, 09:13 PM
On a sensitive day, I suppose I get that argument actually HB.

I really do wish Sky would stop covering their games on Remembrance Day - sadly, it's both predictable and inevitable.

If they were going to protect sensitivities though, they could have muted their mics the entire game as their pro-IRA repetoir was in full voice throughout the game.

The thing that annoys me is that there are active members of the British military who are Celtc fans. There's a significant portion of their crowd who AREN'T so heinous and probably find this as nauseating/cringeworthy as the rest of us - they really need to police from within but they've become such a large minority that they're a law unto themselves.

:agree: I always remember listening to an elderly Celtic fan who called one of these radio phone in shows (I think it was Your Call on Sportsound but I could be wrong) a few years ago around Remembrance Sunday and it was discussing Celtic fans disrupting a minute's silence and this man made exactly the same point you've just made.

He spoke about how his grandfather and his great grandfather had both served in the British Army and both had been killed whilst on active duty. They were both Celtic fans and were both very proud to serve their country.

This man was absolutely disgusted by the behaviour of these idiots and I can always remember the anger and the sadness in his voice. He struggled to understand how fans of the club he loved could behave in such a disrespectful way in memory of their fellow Celtic fans.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2014, 10:50 PM
It's a section of the Sellick away support, the old diehards, who still sing the IRA songs. They have stamped it out at home games, so there is progress.

SteveHFC
10-11-2014, 01:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjKUuVBr-2s

HoboHarry
10-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Back to English football and arsenal. Arsene Wenger must tear his hair out with jack wilshire. If wilshire would redirect the energy he wastes arguing with referees he might be able to step up to a different level. A talented player but utterly brainless.

lapsedhibee
10-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Back to English football and arsenal. Arsene Wenger must tear his hair out with jack wilshire. If wilshire would redirect the energy he wastes arguing with referees he might be able to step up to a different level. A talented player but utterly brainless.

Wilshere's the Lewis Stevenson of the south. Looked an excellent prospect many years ago but neither improved nor learned to kick the ball with his right foot. (Come to think of it, Lewis doesn't fall over all the time appealing for imaginary fouls, so the comparison's not exact.)

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-11-2014, 08:54 AM
It's a section of the Sellick away support, the old diehards, who still sing the IRA songs. They have stamped it out at home games, so there is progress.

You're kidding yourself on if you believe that to be the case.

green&left
10-11-2014, 09:27 AM
I didn't see the Aberdeen v Celtic game. Why did they choose not to display a poppy on the shirt, having done so in the past?

Who knows..?

I don't get the recent obsession with poppys on football jerseys. Only appears to have came in the last ten years or so since the illegal invasions of of Iraq and Afghanistan.

How many were on show in the Hibs support on Saturday? I was behind the goal and saw hardly any, yet it appears everyone in the public eye HAS to wear one or they get lambasted, be it football players or managers, news anchors, tv presenters, commentators - everyone.

Its almost hilarious that some people can't see the irony in having a go at an individual or football club who used their rights to not wear a poppy (Not at you directly, more at the hissy fits various social media platforms were throwing up last night) yet like to remind us "they fought for your freedom"... Couldn't make it up.

Sir David Gray
10-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Anyone know if these people were arrested?

It doesn't sound like it was hundreds of people that were involved so it surely would have been obvious who was responsible.

Shameful.

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Anyone know if these people were arrested?

It doesn't sound like it was hundreds of people that were involved so it surely would have been obvious who was responsible.

Shameful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-29986318

Two Celtic fans were arrested during the Remembrance Sunday silence before the game against Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

they were charged with assault, doesn't give the full story though, possibly assaulting fans who were booing, maybe not

Another two men, aged 24 and 29, were arrested elsewhere in the stadium for unrelated offences.

hibsbollah
10-11-2014, 06:10 PM

That sounds like one particularly noisy idiot and maybe five or ten of his mates chanting and clapping. To be fair to Celtc (not something that comes naturally to me) that is a tiny minority of their away support on Sunday.

Carheenlea
10-11-2014, 07:15 PM
That sounds like one particularly noisy idiot and maybe five or ten of his mates chanting and clapping. To be fair to Celtc (not something that comes naturally to me) that is a tiny minority of their away support on Sunday.

In a silent environment it one individual can make a right nuisance of himself. 5 -10 out of an away support of a couple of thousand making a nuisance of themselves is nothing to really be getting bothered out. A crowd of 18000 observed a minutes silence and while I don`t care for Celtic and their fans much, there is no stick to beat them with here in the grand scheme of things.