PDA

View Full Version : Brollies at Football

Winston Ingram
09-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Conditions were crap yesterday but at least there was the consolation that I could watch the game.

Then people started putting brollies up and I could only see the parts of the pitch which weren't obscured by brollies.

I get the weather was crap and there's no roof to keep us dry but surely people must realise the impact they are having on other supporters when they put one up.

It's incredibly selfish if you ask me and surely if you are making the decision to take a brollie, it's just as easy to choose to wear clothes that will keep you dry.

Future17
09-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Conditions were crap yesterday but at least there was the consolation that I could watch the game.

Then people started putting brollies up and I could only see the parts of the pitch which weren't obscured by brollies.

I get the weather was crap and there's no roof to keep us dry but surely people must realise the impact they are having on other supporters when they put one up.

It's incredibly selfish if you ask me and surely if you are making the decision to take a brollie, it's just as easy to choose to wear clothes that will keep you dry.

Agree 100%.

Brollies are annoying enough in the street, as they are basically weapons in the hands of (some) people who have little control over them and the spikes which are being waved at eye level. I can't understand anyone putting up a umbrella when it must be obvious to them that they will be blocking a fellow supporter's view.

NAE NOOKIE
09-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Slightly off topic ..... During the hugely entertaining and exciting Hibs v Dundee Utd match when Hibs got into the box shooting towards the FF I couldn't help getting off my seat in what I can only describe as excitement, only to constantly be told to 'sit doon' by the two guys behind me.

All I can say is ................. yer no at the pictures FFS.

NAE NOOKIE
09-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Agree 100%.

Brollies are annoying enough in the street, as they are basically weapons in the hands of (some) people who have little control over them and the spikes which are being waved at eye level. I can't understand anyone putting up a umbrella when it must be obvious to them that they will be blocking a fellow supporter's view.

When you are 5'6" walking down the street on a rainy day requires safety goggles :agree:

Allant1981
09-11-2014, 12:02 PM

Are you seriously moaning about folk wanting to keep dry

Pretty Boy
09-11-2014, 12:06 PM

He's got a point.

I understand folk wanting to keep dry but a bit respect for those of us who wanted to see the game would have been nice. I got stuck behind some guy with a Titleist golf umbrella the size of a parachute who seemed determined I should see none of the game and maybe remove 1 or both my eyes just to be sure.

Allant1981
09-11-2014, 12:08 PM
I get folk wanting to see the game but this must be an all time low, moaning now about a brolly

Winston Ingram
09-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Not at all. I knew it was going to rain yesterday so wore something that would keep me dry.

I didn't take a brollie as I knew it would block the view of people behind me.

greenlex
09-11-2014, 12:12 PM
I had my golf brolly with me. Stood behind the goal where there was no terrace so as not to block anyone's view. Dry apart from feet. For the avoidance of doubt mine was a Footjoy Brolly.

Chibs
09-11-2014, 12:25 PM
back in my day(the seventies)if you took a brolly to a game you would be called a poof.
:greengrin

Taz_hibee
09-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Wanted to take my brolly from car but decided against for the reasons stated, it's just ignorance as you must know you are blocking other people's view, either don't take one or stand where no one is behind you, Simples [emoji299]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleeping giant
09-11-2014, 12:43 PM
I do not know how anyone could stand at the fitba and put up a brolly when there are folk behind them. It's just not the done thing surely .

Keith_M
09-11-2014, 12:58 PM
The olden days. Did people complain in them days?

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/550249_10151227389418093_333536147_n.jpg

sleeping giant
09-11-2014, 01:06 PM

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/550249_10151227389418093_333536147_n.jpg

:greengrin that's mental

lord bunberry
09-11-2014, 01:10 PM
If you want toput up a brollie you should stand at the back so you don't block people's view.

lord bunberry
09-11-2014, 01:12 PM

That picture must have been taken at half time :greengrin

itslegaltender
09-11-2014, 01:14 PM
If you want toput up a brollie you should stand at the back so you don't block people's view.

Grabbed myself a cheeky spot up the very back of the South Stand under some branches. Was spot on until a older couple decided to stand in front of us (same level)and the woman put up an umbrella. Couple of loud swears as the game got started and she soon moved!

whiskyhibby
09-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Agree 100%.

It depends how big it is and how many fellow fans can shelter under it! :-))

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

basehibby
09-11-2014, 01:31 PM
I get folk wanting to see the game but this must be an all time low, moaning now about a brolly

Not at all - if folk are paying £18 to watch a game of football it is the height of ignorant selfishness to go and stand in front of them with a brolly up - if you want to keep dry on terraces in the rain then you wear an anorak with a hood - or if you must use a brolly then stand somewhere that you're not blocking other folks' view.

Iggy Pope
09-11-2014, 01:52 PM
There was plenty of space to avoid brollies.
My Mrs and her mum (71) stood under one the full 90 and no-one objected.
I wouldn't have welcomed an objection either.

Possibly the most churlish thread this season.

Iggy Pope
09-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Grabbed myself a cheeky spot up the very back of the South Stand under some branches. Was spot on until a older couple decided to stand in front of us (same level)and the woman put up an umbrella. Couple of loud swears as the game got started and she soon moved!

Swearing at an old wummin. Bravo. Lucky it wasnae my Mother in Law. You'd have had a job swearing with the pointy end up yer arse.

Sylar
09-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Swearing at an old wummin. Bravo. Lucky it wasnae my Mother in Law. You'd have had a job swearing with the pointy end up yer arse.

I took it to mean that loud swears at the game put said person off standing in proximity in fairness, not that he was calling said woman all the ****s under the sun :greengrin

Wearing a waterproof jacket with a hood is the answer, surely?

green&left
09-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Dunno if this thread is a wind-up or not!!?

Don Giovanni
09-11-2014, 02:06 PM
It depends how big it is and how many fellow fans can shelter under it! :-))

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Are we still talking about umbrellas here...?

:devil: :wink:

Iggy Pope
09-11-2014, 02:21 PM
I took it to mean that loud swears at the game put said person off standing in proximity in fairness, not that he was calling said woman all the ****s under the sun :greengrin

Wearing a waterproof jacket with a hood is the answer, surely?

Not sure what you're quoting there. The post I quoted reads to me like loud swearing made an old woman move, not what anyone was calling her. You think this swearing around the elderly is a good idea too?
Because she had a brolly????

A brolly is the answer for some. Not for me, but for some. I even seen a couple of Hibs ones.
There was plenty of room to avoid brollies. I managed easily.

Like I said. Churlish.

lord bunberry
09-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Not sure what you're quoting there. The post I quoted reads to me like loud swearing made an old woman move, not what anyone was calling her. You think this swearing around the elderly is a good idea too?

A brolly is the answer for some. Not for me, but for some. I even seen a couple of Hibs ones.

Like I said. Churlish.

You're post suggested he was swearing at the old women when he wasn't. How do you know that when he started swearing it was with the intention of making the old women with the brollie move. You're jumping to conclusions and getting on your high horse without knowing the facts imo. People swear at the football all the time.

Sylar
09-11-2014, 02:32 PM

Like I said. Churlish.

Your original post said 'swearing AT an old wummin' - I quoted you because I interpreted it slightly differently.

'[Do I think] swearing around the elderly is a good idea...?' - I've no idea what age said woman actually was - an 'older' couple to me would be in their 40s :greengrin - whilst that's flippant though, swearing at the football is par for the course really.

For what it's worth, I've stood under a brolly at football before (behind the goals at Recreation Park against Alloa when it pissed down, start to finish). So long as it's considerate and not obstructive...

If they're avoidable, I don't see the problem but if someone came and stood right in front of me and put a brolly up, I'd be annoyed if there was so much in the way of space to avoid doing that.

Hero76
09-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Brollies are banned from most spl grounds

lord bunberry
09-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Brollies are banned from most spl grounds

So that's why Steve McLaren turned us down.

Phil D. Rolls
09-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Only ever acceptable if carried by someone in White skinners, with a suede head and wearing a black crombie coat. Creeches ultra violence my droogs.

HibsMax
09-11-2014, 02:47 PM
It would never cross my mind to take an umbrella to a sporting event. It's just too frickin' dangerous. As others have said, dress for the conditions; don't punish others by restricting their view. It might seem like a trivial argument but I doubt there are many people who are prepared to spend time and money going to a football match only to see someone's umbrella. If there is somewhere else to move to then fair enough.

Just to be fully transparent, I don't like umbrellas anyway. :)

Pete
09-11-2014, 02:57 PM
I normally carry a personal parasol for when it's sunny but I'm feeling a bit self-conscious after all this.

sleeping giant
09-11-2014, 02:58 PM
I normally carry a personal parasol for when it's sunny but I'm feeling a bit self-conscious after all this.

:faf:

Made me laugh :greengrin

Hero76
09-11-2014, 03:16 PM
So that's why Steve McLaren turned us down.

We are in teh championship , different brollie rules.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Just to be fully transparent, I don't like umbrellas anyway. :)

If the umbrellas were fully transparent that would be the problem solved. :-)

Hibby Bairn
09-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Kids' Ribena cartons out. Brollies in.

Iggy Pope
09-11-2014, 03:52 PM
You're post suggested he was swearing at the old women when he wasn't. How do you know that when he started swearing it was with the intention of making the old women with the brollie move. You're jumping to conclusions and getting on your high horse without knowing the facts imo. People swear at the football all the time.

Listen. I quoted a post that clearly stated a 'couple of loud swears' made her move. And the poster seemed happy with that outcome too.
Away with this high horse bollox and I don't really need you telling me what goes on at the football. Believe me, I'd lose you in my experience.

Iggy Pope
09-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Your original post said 'swearing AT an old wummin' - I quoted you because I interpreted it slightly differently.

'[Do I think] swearing around the elderly is a good idea...?' - I've no idea what age said woman actually was - an 'older' couple to me would be in their 40s :greengrin - whilst that's flippant though, swearing at the football is par for the course really.

For what it's worth, I've stood under a brolly at football before (behind the goals at Recreation Park against Alloa when it pissed down, start to finish). So long as it's considerate and not obstructive...

If they're avoidable, I don't see the problem but if someone came and stood right in front of me and put a brolly up, I'd be annoyed if there was so much in the way of space to avoid doing that.

And can get you a banning order.

Point I'm trying to make is you take an umbrella to a game in weather like yesterday and at a 'stadium' like yesterday through choice. The terracing was far from packed and there was plenty of scope to stand to one side of anyone holding one without swearing loudly in the hope that it would intimidate them into moving.
If they stood in front of you and put a brolly up, then a quiet word would suffice surely?

Anyone that was surprised to see an umbrella at that game yesterday cannot have been out the house much, far less been to Central Park before.

Winston Ingram
09-11-2014, 04:35 PM
And can get you a banning order.

Point I'm trying to make is you take an umbrella to a game in weather like yesterday and at a 'stadium' like yesterday through choice. The terracing was far from packed and there was plenty of scope to stand to one side of anyone holding one without swearing loudly in the hope that it would intimidate them into moving.
If they stood in front of you and put a brolly up, then a quiet word would suffice surely?

Anyone that was surprised to see an umbrella at that game yesterday cannot have been out the house much, far less been to Central Park before.

The terracing may not have been packed but it was far from empty. I'd maybe see some logic in your argument if it was yer average home game at Central Park with a couple of hundred people & a dog but there were over 2000 Hibby's in there yesterday.

You also talk as if there was just 1 brollie. There were quite a few. On top of that they don't have to be right in front of you. One 30-40 yards away from obscured my view of one of the penalty areas for nearly all of the 2nd half

People may have had 'scope' but it's incredibly skewed logic to suggest people should go dancing about the terracing to get what they paid for to ensure a few individuals on a terrace of 2000 could remain dry.

Iggy Pope
09-11-2014, 05:34 PM
The terracing may not have been packed but it was far from empty. I'd maybe see some logic in your argument if it was yer average home game at Central Park with a couple of hundred people & a dog but there were over 2000 Hibby's in there yesterday.

You also talk as if there was just 1 brollie. There were quite a few. On top of that they don't have to be right in front of you. One 30-40 yards away from obscured my view of one of the penalty areas for nearly all of the 2nd half

People may have had 'scope' but it's incredibly skewed logic to suggest people should go dancing about the terracing to get what they paid for to ensure a few individuals on a terrace of 2000 could remain dry.

I stood right next to an umbrella the whole game. The only thing hindering my view was the perimeter fence. I'm not talking as if there was one. There was loads. And I'm not surprised.

lapsedhibee
09-11-2014, 05:42 PM

That picture must have been taken at half time :greengrin

Don't think that's a fitba match. Egg chasing possibly, or something else with no half time in it? :dunno:

Scouse Hibee
09-11-2014, 06:16 PM
If you put a brolly up at the footie that obstructs my view I will politely ask you to move elsewhere or put it down. If you refuse I will take it off you and snap it in half.....simple.

FranckSuzy
09-11-2014, 06:26 PM
How come it's OK to take a brolly into a ground but not a flimsy cane, that has a flag attached? :confused:

DC_Hibs
09-11-2014, 06:27 PM
I will take it off you

calm down, calm down.

"Same old Scousers......always thieving".

ZSdoom
09-11-2014, 06:41 PM
How come it's OK to take a brolly into a ground but not a flimsy cane, that has a flag attached? :confused:

idiocy at its finest
:idiot:

oconnors_strip
09-11-2014, 06:42 PM

The steward said to a hibs fan he could take his golfing brolly in as long as he didn't stab anyone with it! :greengein

Iggy Pope
09-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Thought I'd scout around to see if I could get a nice Hibs one to take to Dumbarton.
All I could find was this.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?210627-Hibs-Golf-Umbrella

Phil D. Rolls
09-11-2014, 06:56 PM
The steward said to a hibs fan he could take his golfing brolly in as long as he didn't stab anyone with it! :greengein

Thats setting the bar pretty low, IMO

greenlex
09-11-2014, 07:24 PM
I reckon if you look and act like a gentleman a brolly is ok. If you look like a thug canes are not. :greengrin

FranckSuzy
09-11-2014, 07:33 PM
I reckon if you look and act like a gentleman a brolly is ok. If you look like a thug canes are not. :greengrin

All kids must be thugs then, since they are usually the 'victims' of the idiotic rule :rolleyes: :greengrin

ronaldo7
09-11-2014, 07:46 PM

Adam had his flag with his cane yesterday. No brolly though:flag:

FranckSuzy
09-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Adam had his flag with his cane yesterday. No brolly though:flag:

Schoolboy error :agree: :tee hee:

ronaldo7
09-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Schoolboy error :agree: :tee hee:

P!shed wet through. Left at half time and spent the second half in the boozer playing pool with him:greengrin

FranckSuzy
09-11-2014, 07:54 PM
P!shed wet through. Left at half time and spent the second half in the boozer playing pool with him:greengrin

That's called being a good Grandparent :agree: :greengrin

surreyhibbie
09-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Only ever acceptable if carried by someone in White skinners, with a suede head and wearing a black crombie coat. Creeches ultra violence my droogs.

:greengrin:agree:

Last time I took a brolly to a game was New Year's Day 1976. There were at least 10 of us under it, absolutely pissed down. Didn't hear any complaints on the old main terracing!

Beat the yams 3-0, had a car crash on the way home and met my current wife later that night. Mixed memories then.. :wink:

But yes, a brolly nowadays is generally wrong...

greenlex
09-11-2014, 08:35 PM
All kids must be thugs then, since they are usually the 'victims' of the idiotic rule :rolleyes: :greengrin
Depends on the price of their Jackets tho.

FranckSuzy
09-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Depends on the price of their Jackets tho.

:lips seal :tee hee:

Bristolhibby
09-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Only time I've been is a pissing wet terrace was in Landsdowne Road watching Ireland v Scotland rugby match.

It was a crumbling terrace and we were squashed in like sardines. Had a raincoat with hood on, due to the squeeze only my head and sholders ever got wet. No need for a brolly, and I'm sure you would have got short shrift putting one up.

J

Brooster
09-11-2014, 09:06 PM
It's selfish and rude to put an umbrella up at football game if fellow fans are standing behind you.

snooky
09-11-2014, 09:23 PM
It's a bit stupid really. You could freely walk into a stadium with a brolly with one of those swords in the shaft but the fuzz/security will take a plastic bottle of juice off you as it's a possible offensive weapon. The law really is an ass.

Also, surely it's up to the person with the umbrella to move to a respectable spot if he/she is putting it up during the game.
If the umbrella is already up then the umbrellaless person arriving should be the one to find a suitable spot - simples.

Souwesters for all - then nae probs.

lord bunberry
09-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Thats setting the bar pretty low, IMO

It is, he was also told to make sure he didn't shelter anyone with his machete.

Argylehibby
09-11-2014, 11:00 PM
There was plenty of space to avoid brollies.
My Mrs and her mum (71) stood under one the full 90 and no-one objected.
I wouldn't have welcomed an objection either.

Possibly the most churlish thread this season.

There was also plenty of space at the back for those with brollies to stand and not block anyone's view. One guy I saw standing at the very back with a brolly when he realised that some women were sheltering in the ladies loos and watching from the door moved so not to block their view. Very considerate of his fellow Hibs fans to do that. so :top marks for him whoever he was.

Just Alf
10-11-2014, 04:27 PM
some of these would do the trick I reckon....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29646423

Keith_M
10-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Don't think that's a fitba match. Egg chasing possibly, or something else with no half time in it? :dunno:

It was an Italian game in the '50s.

greenlex
10-11-2014, 05:21 PM

I wonder if a big massive one of those right in the middle of the pitch would do the trick. Could be cheaper than building modern stadia.

snooky
10-11-2014, 05:59 PM

Or just stand next to Alex Ferguson - same effect :idea: