PDA

View Full Version : If we were bankrolled.

Scouse Hibee
06-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Unlikely I know but if a wealthy investor came in and financed us to such a level that we pissed the league and dominated Scottish football how would you feel?
Would you forget all about the money and rejoice in our success or would a bit of you feel it wasn't a real achievement just money talking.

db03
06-11-2014, 02:27 PM
if we won the Scottish I wouldn't care how we went about it id just be ecstatic

Jack
06-11-2014, 02:34 PM
I would smirk from ear to ear but as you say it wouldn't be the same character building Hibs that's made me the man I am today!

Speedy
06-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Unlikely I know but if a wealthy investor came in and financed us to such a level that we pissed the league and dominated Scottish football how would you feel?
Would you forget all about the money and rejoice in our success or would a bit of you feel it wasn't a real achievement just money talking.

I'd be delighted.

You'd just find a new level to compete in, e.g. Champions League, and not pissing that would bring you back down to earth a bit.

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Hearts Scottish cup wins aren't real achievements but it doesn't stop them going on about them

NAE NOOKIE
06-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Wouldn't feel in the slightest bit bad about it.

Ask a Man City fan who supported his team year in and year out before Mansour came along how he felt when Aguero smashed in that goal on the last day of the season to win the league.

lord bunberry
06-11-2014, 02:56 PM
We've earned the right to enjoy any success.

PeterboroHibee
06-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Im probably going against the majority but its not something that would really appeal to me. Sure I want to see us win things, but if we have just spent vastly more than other teams then whats the point? I like the ups and downs of being a Hibs fan, having the feeling that when we do achieve something its for the right reasons, and not because we have thrown a lot of cash at it.

MWHIBBIES
06-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Easter Road being filled with gloryhunters would be nauseating but us winning trophies will always be amazing and it would piss Hearts (along with pretty much everyone in Scotland) right off.

Keith_M
06-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Is this some inside Info or just speculation?

:greengrin

Titch
06-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Im probably going against the majority but its not something that would really appeal to me. Sure I want to see us win things, but if we have just spent vastly more than other teams then whats the point? I like the ups and downs of being a Hibs fan, having the feeling that when we do achieve something its for the right reasons, and not because we have thrown a lot of cash at it.

would your opinion change if the investor was a lifelong hibs fan?

lyonhibs
06-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Anyone who has supported Hibs for more than about 2 minutes and takes the "holier than thou, it would be tainted" route to the idea of us winning a few trophies now and again is lying or wants their head looked at.

As long as no charities got robbed and the person bank-rolling the success didn't post cringe-tastic press releases on the official website every 2 weeks, I could live with it.

Stevie Reid
06-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Every team that's won the league in Scotland for the last 28 years, i.e. both of them, has bought the league anyway.

I find it hard to like Manchester City's recent successes because they just became the richest club in the world overnight, on the whim of a man with exorbitant wealth - but I bet their supporters couldn't give a flying **** about what others think, and they wouldn't swap that day in 2012 for anything.

Kato
06-11-2014, 04:12 PM

If everything was above board financially and was without the laundering/jiggery/pokery/trail of debt left by other clubs it wouldn't bother me a jot.

90% of success in football has been brought about by financial clout going way, way back, it's nothing new. Only the scale and disparity has changed.

weonlywon6-2
06-11-2014, 05:03 PM

This sums up my feelings too

hibs0666
06-11-2014, 05:08 PM
As long as we spent any windfall on the infrastructure i'd be delighted.

Hibernia&Alba
06-11-2014, 05:19 PM
I suspect any fan of any club would be very happy, provided the investment was sustainable. There's no point ending up like Leeds and Rangers, or Hearts! The only way a club of Hibs' limited size could compete in the big time in the modern game would be via a multi billionaire. The days of a Notts Forest, for example, being European champions are long gone.

I want the corners of ER filled in and the stadium lit up green. I want a League and cup double and Champions League football. I want to beat Hearts 10-0. I want to be on .net moaning because we only beat Real Madrid by the odd goal.

That will do for starters :-D

3pm
06-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Every team that's won the league in Scotland for the last 28 years, i.e. both of them, has bought the league anyway.

I find it hard to like Manchester City's recent successes because they just became the richest club in the world overnight, on the whim of a man with exorbitant wealth - but I bet their supporters couldn't give a flying **** about what others think, and they wouldn't swap that day in 2012 for anything.

I caught the end of an interview with Gary Neville and Noel Gallagher. NG claimed Ricky Hatton missed the 'old' Man City.

I'd love to have been standing next to Ricky Hatton when they won the league in 2012.....bet he never missed them that day!!

Seveno
06-11-2014, 05:41 PM
If the person was a true Hibbys and earned the money in an honest ethical way then bring it on.

HibsMax
06-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Football is all about money so I wouldn't feel too badly. Without money, you can't compete at a serious level.

TheFamous1875
06-11-2014, 05:49 PM

How?

re OP: I suspect it would leave a sour taste in my mouth, if I'm honest. We're a big enough club to merit winning the Scottish Cup and challenging for the league already. Success that was 'bought' would be tainted, especially as we're a club who should be more more than capable of achieving both already without financial doping coming into it.

What we need to do is to be managed properly and live up to our potential. There's a big fan base out there that could be even bigger if we have success on the field and the if club works in the community to make us a focal point of it, it could go great lengths in ensuring that people in the East of Edinburgh and East Lothian are supporting their local club.

All I want for Hibs is to live up to their potential and to go from strength to strength through good management of the club. For me, we're a 'big' club in Scotland that's massively underachieved for almost all of the modern football era (sans The Famous Five). The business model at our level should roughly be as simple as: continuity in football philosophy so that youth development can flourish into great players and to sell them on to EPL etc and replace them with more youth and a suitable calibre of player (for our level) that would already be surrounded by experienced pros in the team to make their progress as smooth as possible. All of which is pretty much the opposite of what we've been doing post-2007.

We really are capable of so much more, as are Hearts and Aberdeen, and if we were to have the right ideals in place and the right people at the helm of to take the club forward, we could have much more success than we have ever had before (that sadly goes for the other two clubs I mentioned also).

Centre Hawf
06-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Would I feel bad? Not at all.

Football is about money now so if you want to compete for trophies you have to put the money in. I can't see us winning any more than 1 or 2 trophies if we're lucky within the next 10/20 years. It almost feels like for a Scottish team outwith Celtic to win something they have to hit a good run of form and have a decent squad or a few exceptional talents and all at the right time.

Hibernia&Alba
06-11-2014, 06:09 PM
How?

re OP: I suspect it would leave a sour taste in my mouth, if I'm honest. We're a big enough club to merit winning the Scottish Cup and challenging for the league already. Success that was 'bought' would be tainted, especially as we're a club who should be more more than capable of achieving both already without financial doping coming into it.

What we need to do is to be managed properly and live up to our potential. There's a big fan base out there that could be even bigger if we have success on the field and the if club works in the community to make us a focal point of it, it could go great lengths in ensuring that people in the East of Edinburgh and East Lothian are supporting their local club.

All I want for Hibs is to live up to their potential and to go from strength to strength through good management of the club. For me, we're a 'big' club in Scotland that's massively underachieved for almost all of the modern football era (sans The Famous Five). The business model at our level should roughly be as simple as: continuity in football philosophy so that youth development can flourish into great players and to sell them on to EPL etc and replace them with more youth and a suitable calibre of player (for our level) that would already be surrounded by experienced pros in the team to make their progress as smooth as possible. All of which is pretty much the opposite of what we've been doing post-2007.

We really are capable of so much more, as are Hearts and Aberdeen, and if we were to have the right ideals in place and the right people at the helm of to take the club forward, we could have much more success than we have ever had before (that sadly goes for the other two clubs I mentioned also).

You've made a good, well argued response there, but allow us to dream for a while. Just think of Champions League nights at ER under the lights. :-)

Would I feel bad? Not at all.

Football is about money now so if you want to compete for trophies you have to put the money in. I can't see us winning any more than 1 or 2 trophies if we're lucky within the next 10/20 years. It almost feels like for a Scottish team outwith Celtic to win something they have to hit a good run of form and have a decent squad or a few exceptional talents and all at the right time.

And a squad that would be broken up at the first hint of success by big money bids.

Centre Hawf
06-11-2014, 06:19 PM
And a squad that would be broken up at the first hint of success by big money bids.

We were quite fortunate in that we managed to get the League Cup during a season where we had some genuinely class players, Murphy, Fletcher, Jones, Whittaker, Boozy, Sproule, Benji and a Chris Hogg that was making leaps and bounds. Especially during a time when Celtic and Rangers were picking up anyone remotely resembling a footballer from SPL teams and then the other English sides sniffing around as well.

H18S NX
06-11-2014, 06:31 PM
I would be delighted.Look at any supposedly "Big Team" they have mostly had fame through investment on the park,good players follow the money and who could blame them.FIFA and UEFA have done there damnedness to make football an elitist sport and don't forget it was our now defunct weegie neighbour The Rangers that really it took it to another level in in scotland.

SonOfDavidFrancey
06-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Wouldn't feel in the slightest bit bad about it.

Ask a Man City fan who supported his team year in and year out before Mansour came along how he felt when Aguero smashed in that goal on the last day of the season to win the league.

Yes but ask them how they feel this morning after that pile of piss last night

bingo70
06-11-2014, 06:40 PM
I caught the end of an interview with Gary Neville and Noel Gallagher. NG claimed Ricky Hatton missed the 'old' Man City.

I'd love to have been standing next to Ricky Hatton when they won the league in 2012.....bet he never missed them that day!!

I know what he means.

I don't watch much English football these days but when I do watch man city it looks pish, especially at home, even of they do have some unbelievable players and win the majority of the time.

If I was offered tickets for a man city or someone like west ham, it'd be west ham without giving it a second thought.

Michael
06-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Yes but ask them how they feel this morning after that pile of piss last night

Probably happier than when they were in the second tier.

Pete
06-11-2014, 07:15 PM
If everything was above board financially and was without the laundering/jiggery/pokery/trail of debt left by other clubs it wouldn't bother me a jot.

:agree:

In football, hard cash is hard cash but success on the never-never will never have any credibility. We're one of the supports who will do well to remember that when we're getting it tight about certain past results.

Scouse Hibee
06-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Is this some inside Info or just speculation?

:greengrin

Neither.

Eyrie
06-11-2014, 07:58 PM
It would start out being wonderful as we buy better players and became consistent challengers who occasionally win a trophy. But after a few seasons we'd have built the squad to such a level that I'd have a reduced interest because it would all be so easy with each game being a likely win and each trophy being expected rather than dreamt about.

By contrast everything we achieve at the moment is hard earned, and so is much more appreciated because of the misery that we endure for years between each triumph. Think of the League Cup win in 1991, when we could have no longer existed, or the win in 2007 which was our first trophy in 16 years.

That said, and even allowing for the financial muscle of Septic and Huns RIP, Hibs have been perennial underachievers in Scottish football.

Northernhibee
06-11-2014, 07:59 PM
That lot across the road tried and failed to buy the Champions League, SPL etc.

We may be in the same league but we will always, always have the moral high ground that we've always done things the right way. No thanks to the proposal.

Pedantic_Hibee
06-11-2014, 08:36 PM
As long as we paid our bills as they fell due I would be fine. Something the Hearts fans should think about prior to gloating.

mca
06-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Once all the English clubs are bought up by foreign millionaires and the Likes..

How Long before they realise that they can buy a Whole Football club in Scotland with (Maybe) a Possible route to European football for the same Price as a Mediocre EPL Ball boy.. :greengrin

yekimevol
06-11-2014, 10:25 PM

It would be a moment of pure ecstasy to see us lift even the scottish cup after all the failures; however that would not be worth the worry of wondering when this "Money Man" came from and what would happen if he got bored, went bust or just lumped us with enough debt to kill us.

Kato
06-11-2014, 10:28 PM
It would be a moment of pure ecstasy to see us lift even the scottish cup after all the failures; however that would not be worth the worry of wondering when this "Money Man" came from and what would happen if he got bored, went bust or just lumped us with enough debt to kill us.

What if s/he was a local Hibby who was well known?

Some people seem to want to be scared of the bogey man so much, they invent one for themselves.

Sir David Gray
06-11-2014, 11:00 PM
I'm sure I could learn to cope with us being the best team in the country and playing in the Champions League every year.

wookie70
06-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Not for me. I despise the ability to buy almost anything in the world. Football is shocking now with big clubs being seeded so they always get an easy ride and getting a far bigger share of the pot. Money has pretty much destroyed football for me and my interest is almost entirely focussed on Hibs. I tend not to watch any football apart from Hibs games.

Perhaps the biggest fear would be that Hibs fans would change from being a supporters who follow their team and are proud to be part of a club to a group who follow success. Not right away but it would be inevitable.

Kato
06-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Not for me. I despise the ability to buy almost anything in the world. Football is shocking now with big clubs being seeded so they always get an easy ride and getting a far bigger share of the pot. Money has pretty much destroyed football for me and my interest is almost entirely focussed on Hibs. I tend not to watch any football apart from Hibs games.

Perhaps the biggest fear would be that Hibs fans would change from being a supporters who follow their team and are proud to be part of a club to a group who follow success. Not right away but it would be inevitable.

So let's just stay being ***** then.

If a modern day Harry Swan/Tom Hart came along I'd be strapping myself in and getting ready for the ride.

Behind the scenes football has always been a grubby business.

wookie70
06-11-2014, 11:27 PM
I don't want to continue to be crap. I want us to build through youth and canny investments. Look at Bournemouth down south. You don't need money to punch above your weight. You need a plan and some talent.

snooky
06-11-2014, 11:30 PM
I used to have a soft spot for Man City in days gone by.
Now I look on them with the same contempt I have for Chelsea and the other killers of football.
I guess that answers the OP's question for me.

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Some interesting responses to this question.

TheFamous1875
07-11-2014, 12:19 AM
I don't want to continue to be crap. I want us to build through youth and canny investments. Look at Bournemouth down south. You don't need money to punch above your weight. You need a plan and some talent.

Spot on. If we do everything right then we should always be in the top 3/have at least 1 trip to Hampden a year. That's not punching above our weight, that's what our 'ideal weight' should be.

Get the football sorted, the fans'll come back, there'll be more money to sustain the level/improve player recruitment, then winning cups is more likely, trips to Europe, and if we were utterly brilliant and did everything right, eventually challenge for the league and do very well (within reason) in Europe. That's the limit for us. Winning the league would be a miracle, but miraculously it could be a possible one. We've underachieved to such an extent that being ***** is our natural habitat, rather than the complete nadir that it should be.

Sir David Gray
07-11-2014, 12:50 AM
Spot on. If we do everything right then we should always be in the top 3/have at least 1 trip to Hampden a year. That's not punching above our weight, that's what our 'ideal weight' should be.

Get the football sorted, the fans'll come back, there'll be more money to sustain the level/improve player recruitment, then winning cups is more likely, trips to Europe, and if we were utterly brilliant and did everything right, eventually challenge for the league and do very well (within reason) in Europe. That's the limit for us. Winning the league would be a miracle, but miraculously it could be a possible one. We've underachieved to such an extent that being ***** is our natural habitat, rather than the complete nadir that it should be.

Without serious investment, we'll never win the Premieship title whilst Celtic are there.

Even Hearts couldn't win the title back in 2005/06 when they were spending money like it was going out of fashion.

Slicer
07-11-2014, 02:00 AM
I'll never forget the joy, emotion and celebrations on the 18th March 2007.

I watched the corresponding fixture the season after it when Oldco were doing a lap of honour in front of their remaining 15,000 loyal supporters.

Even after 2013 SC final, after our lap of honour and Sparky's farewell, bumped into tic fans in Asda with their team still parading the trophy on the pitch.

Winning means more to us. I for one, would never get tired of it. Celebrating with close ones, remembering those who have passed on.

Hertz, United, Aberdeen, Motherwell should be our main rivals for league positioning and I'm sure we will be back up there soon. Bankrolling would mean we have bigger rivals, European nights, hopefully the old scalp, some great trips. How enjoyable was it going to watch Mowbray's team? Going to ER has turned into a habit in the past few years for a lot. Much rather go along watching some good football, a marquee singing, big crowds. If we were bankrolled, the Glasgow teams would still be up there, and beating them to any silverware would never be tainted.

I've lived through so much disappointment following Hibs, I wouldn't feel guilty of any success.

greenlex
07-11-2014, 03:30 AM
Not for me. Eventually it has to go pop. The EPL will eventually end up in the grubber asthe multi millionaires move onto something else. Its not sustainable and will eventually end.then what?

Steve20
07-11-2014, 05:35 AM
We don't win or challenge for enough trophies that we should. So I'd take the investment and enjoy it. Never mind this 'tainted' nonsense that people come out with.

SonOfDavidFrancey
07-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Probably happier than when they were in the second tier.
Well in a way, but fans are pretty quick to entirely alter their perceptions, and my Chelsea fan friends all wax nostalgic for the days of Mickey Droy and Kerry Dixon.

Mikeystewart
07-11-2014, 07:57 AM
If the person was a true Hibbys and earned the money in an honest ethical way then bring it on.

There is blood and immorality on every penny you own. We all make compromises. Even Ricky Hatton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_M
07-11-2014, 08:51 AM
St Johnstone won the Scottish Cup without a major investor and, presumably, a much smaller budget than Hibs.

I'd rather do it their way.

Bill Milne
07-11-2014, 09:10 AM
As long as we made a point of paying our debts, unlike the manky mob across the city, I would be delighted to take advantage of real funding.

Keith_M
07-11-2014, 09:18 AM
OK, I give in....

I won a bit of money on the German Lottery last week. Who's got STF's phone number?

:wink:

WeeRussell
07-11-2014, 12:08 PM
I guess it's a question of where do you draw the line? Many on here are quick to have a moan that STF doesn't put enough money into Hibs but wouldn't be happy with a major investment. Every football club needs money to run - and generally the richer clubs are more successful.

I wouldn't want the kamikaze Romanov-style attempt to buy success, definitely not. I am not sure I'm adverse to a rich individual throwing his wallet at our club though, provided (as people have said) the books were being balanced and the bills were being paid.

Just think - we could start a Griffiths thread as soon as the takeover was confirmed :greengrin

Sammy7nil
07-11-2014, 12:14 PM

Almost every major torphy win goes to the top 5 spending teams in their league with the odd expcetion. It is just the way of modern football.

07-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Hibs are the biggest underachievers in Scotland by a country mile. So many "nearlys" so many "we were so close" and so many "we were unluckys". We deserve to finally have our shot at glory, the fans deserve it more than anything. The **** and the utter humiliations we have been put through, we deserve to finally have something big to celebrate. If we bought the glory it would feel a bit hollow but I can't say I wouldn't love the success. As long as we were paying our bills and not robbing charities/businesses/the taxpayer etc etc. like the filth across the road. Hearts have cheated and swindled their success over the years yet it doesn't stop them lording it over us.

Our day will come and when it does we will be able to say it wa honestly earned which is more than what the **** can say.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-11-2014, 12:47 PM

Maxim Demin (Russian businessman) now owns Bournemouth. I doubt they'd be top of The Championship without his considerable wealth. Oh aye and they've managed to go insolvent twice in the last twenty years too.

07-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Not for me. Eventually it has to go pop. The EPL will eventually end up in the grubber asthe multi millionaires move onto something else. Its not sustainable and will eventually end.then what?

:agree: Although it's fantastic to have some big sugar-daddy bilionaire come along and plumit hundreds of millions into the club, it's a scary thought that at any moment they could get fed up and just pull the plug and walk away. Clubs are just like a play toy to these guys, it's not to make themselves more money (they don't need it!), it's simply an investment and something to do with the spare millions burning a hole in their pockets.

I would obviously love the money but I would want the money to be given to a board with fans who make the decisions about where it goes. I don't like the idea of just 1 person holding all the power. Look at the likes of Tanz and Romanov dictatorships who made all the decisions and everyone had to tow the line or it would be trouble. I don't want my club held to ransom like that

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
07-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Some interesting responses to this question.

Because its a good question, that in my opinion gets to the very nitty gritty of supporting your team/club.

I'm guessing that as a Liverpool fan, this dilemma is a very relevant? I'm not a fan of any English club in particular, but I do think there is 'something' about Liverpool. Likewise, I hate the way Barca have sold some of their principles.

However I would previously have said that id want Hibs to be true to our values, history and to earn our success. I have to admit though recent years have changed my view. We have been punished more than most for doing things the 'right' way, and that lot of have been massively rewarded for cheating, lying etc

So I now take a very hard, realpolitik view of the situation. Football rewards profligate spending and cheating. Doing neither has seen us sink to the first division. Therefore i'm happy for us to 'bend the rules' too.

And I also think we should stop with all the other distractions, being a 'community club', women's teams, even youth teams (unless they are actively contributing to the first team). The whole club should be about putting a successful team on the park - that should be our only aim. Everything else must either contribute towards that directly, or be discarded.

Sylar
07-11-2014, 02:20 PM
It would be a bit like playing FIFA, transferring Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Bale, Ibrahimovic et al., to Hibs and then hosing all over the league...a totally hollow victory IMO.

Alex Trager
07-11-2014, 02:44 PM
It would be a bit like playing FIFA, transferring Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Bale, Ibrahimovic et al., to Hibs and then hosing all over the league...a totally hollow victory IMO.

Haha I don't think it would be the same as that.
The money spent would be relevant to scottish football.
It would ale a big difference seeing aboard invest in decent players and not havin. To worry about next months mortgages.
We are virtually debt free but not totally. If a person came in, freed us of all our debt, cleared the mortgage payments on the ground, and bought players of a decent spl standard Id be delighted.

I would love to hose the SPL. Celtic and rangers managed (I use this tense for obvious death related reasons) to hose the league and celtic continue to do so. They done that through buying the better players in the Scottish leagues, and at one point the better players from around the world, and this they built up a fan base that's humungous and allows for their constant betterment over the rest of the countries teams.

If we were invested in properly and for a long long period of time, it would not only make me very happy ****ging all teams around the country for a change, it would also bring in investors to other clubs.
If we were invested in for forty years day, and we were regularly winning stuff maybe even winning things in Europe, I did say MAYBE, we would then be attractive to other investors.
We would have built up a bigger worldwide fan base, meaning that is a steady flow of income from many many avenues.

It all depends on whether it was done properly or not.
If it was done legit it would be brilliant.

City will be a massive club worldwide in ten years time.

Man Utd. They started somewhere. They got lucky and managed to get a worldwide brand going, which brings about success in itself. But they a started somewhere with some sort of investment.

Marry this concept to that posted a few days ago of summer football and you have a very attractive package for hibs and potential investors.

Evergreen86
07-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Aye that would be super *****.... give me Liam Craig et al anyday of the week.....

TheFamous1875
07-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Without serious investment, we'll never win the Premieship title whilst Celtic are there.

Even Hearts couldn't win the title back in 2005/06 when they were spending money like it was going out of fashion.

Hearts didn't win it that year because you would have to spend even more ridiculously than they did to win it with such immediate effect. It took Man City about 5 years to win the league after their astronomical investment that still makes Hearts similar effort pale in comparison, even in the context of the two different leagues and their obvious gap in quality/finances.

I'm not talking about what these clubs've done though. I'm talking about a long term, continued success in player recruitment, high positions in the league and a sustained upward trajectory. Never in my life have we ever lived up to our potential. Even Eddie Turnbull's great team that I am unfortunate to've never been born early enough to see for my own eyes are widely said to've underachieved and that's with 1 League Cup, 2 Dryborough Cups, consecutive 2nd place finishes in 1974 and 1975 that were sandwiched between 3rd place finishes and 4th place finishes with a smattering of great European nights chucked in - consistent success that I cannot begin to fathom as a man in my early/mid 20s that was considered 'underachieving'? If that was underachieving, then what the **** has the last 40 or so years been?!

If we can achieve that in that era and it can be deemed a let down, then we can achieve much more than we have been nowadays. I'm not saying we're going to win the Champions League, or anything that ridiculous, but if we were to reach our true potential re developing players, selling them on for good money and developing even better players (just like Southampton), growing our fan base in the local area/country (the amount of posters on this forum not from the area who're Hibs fans simply due to how we played testify to this) then we could really be a force in Scottish football. We have the potential to do so much more simply through good business management and good investment in the academy/players.

Actually winning the league in Scotland against Celtic is a hugely difficult task, so much so that it's laughable to even say so. But after years of consistently good and innovative performance on and off the pitch we'd be more than capable of winning trophies consistently and giving Celtic a run for their money.

The talk of a consistent model for the football club being in place for years to come that'll transcend managers, players and board members from last nights .net visit to East Mains (that I thank every one of you for who've reported back for us who can't make it to these things) gives me a lot of hope for the future and that we won't need the 'easy' way to success, and that finally, maybe, we're actually on the right track after so many years of underachievement and bad board management.

Maybe it's a lot easier for me to be optimistic due to my relative young age compared to a lot of other fans, but being a consistently successful club in Scotland and winning trophies and having relatively great players could absolutely be done by a club our size and should be done. In comparison to the size of some of the other clubs in Scotland, and I say this with the most respect, we should be walking all over them due to our resources and the further potential resources we could unearth due to success.

Maybe years of institutionalised underachievement will subside in this new era of grassroots Scottish football, where the money isn't flowing nearly to the tune it used to be. The basics of being a well-run football club are exactly that, and we've had them missing for what seems to be a chronic amount of time. We should have talented players coming through regularly and we should have success on the park regularly. In this country, in this context and in this city, that's the way it should be.

superfurryhibby
07-11-2014, 05:54 PM
." Even Eddie Turnbull's great team that I am unfortunate to've never been born early enough to see for my own eyes are widely said to've underachieved and that's with 1 League Cup, 2 Dryborough Cups, consecutive 2nd place finishes in 1974 and 1975 that were sandwiched between 3rd place finishes and 4th place finishes with a smattering of great European nights chucked in - consistent success that I cannot begin to fathom as a man in my early/mid 20s that was considered 'underachieving'? If that was underachieving, then what the **** has the last 40 or so years "

No one should really say that team underachieved, as such. Maybe fairer to say that they might have won more. Amazing to think that 7 of the 72 League Cup team had or would represent Scotland.

Returning to the matter in hand. I no longer give a **** about how we do it, I just want to see a Scottish Cup victory. Morality can do one, mainly because football has never really had any to begin with and I'm getting auld enough to have the odd shuddering chill run through me when I realise I probably have around 25 more chances for us to hit the jackpot. Whenever, I am in a church (rare), I've started offering a prayer and promise to be good, if only the Chief would allow this blessing come to us. Come to think of it, I would probably give my soul to the other fellas if it would help.

snooky
07-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Think Gretna. :tumble:

Hibernia&Alba
07-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Hearts didn't win it that year because you would have to spend even more ridiculously than they did to win it with such immediate effect. It took Man City about 5 years to win the league after their astronomical investment that still makes Hearts similar effort pale in comparison, even in the context of the two different leagues and their obvious gap in quality/finances.

I'm not talking about what these clubs've done though. I'm talking about a long term, continued success in player recruitment, high positions in the league and a sustained upward trajectory. Never in my life have we ever lived up to our potential. Even Eddie Turnbull's great team that I am unfortunate to've never been born early enough to see for my own eyes are widely said to've underachieved and that's with 1 League Cup, 2 Dryborough Cups, consecutive 2nd place finishes in 1974 and 1975 that were sandwiched between 3rd place finishes and 4th place finishes with a smattering of great European nights chucked in - consistent success that I cannot begin to fathom as a man in my early/mid 20s that was considered 'underachieving'? If that was underachieving, then what the **** has the last 40 or so years been?!

If we can achieve that in that era and it can be deemed a let down, then we can achieve much more than we have been nowadays. I'm not saying we're going to win the Champions League, or anything that ridiculous, but if we were to reach our true potential re developing players, selling them on for good money and developing even better players (just like Southampton), growing our fan base in the local area/country (the amount of posters on this forum not from the area who're Hibs fans simply due to how we played testify to this) then we could really be a force in Scottish football. We have the potential to do so much more simply through good business management and good investment in the academy/players.

Actually winning the league in Scotland against Celtic is a hugely difficult task, so much so that it's laughable to even say so. But after years of consistently good and innovative performance on and off the pitch we'd be more than capable of winning trophies consistently and giving Celtic a run for their money.

The talk of a consistent model for the football club being in place for years to come that'll transcend managers, players and board members from last nights .net visit to East Mains (that I thank every one of you for who've reported back for us who can't make it to these things) gives me a lot of hope for the future and that we won't need the 'easy' way to success, and that finally, maybe, we're actually on the right track after so many years of underachievement and bad board management.

Maybe it's a lot easier for me to be optimistic due to my relative young age compared to a lot of other fans, but being a consistently successful club in Scotland and winning trophies and having relatively great players could absolutely be done by a club our size and should be done. In comparison to the size of some of the other clubs in Scotland, and I say this with the most respect, we should be walking all over them due to our resources and the further potential resources we could unearth due to success.

Maybe years of institutionalised underachievement will subside in this new era of grassroots Scottish football, where the money isn't flowing nearly to the tune it used to be. The basics of being a well-run football club are exactly that, and we've had them missing for what seems to be a chronic amount of time. We should have talented players coming through regularly and we should have success on the park regularly. In this country, in this context and in this city, that's the way it should be.

A very well thought out post. We haven't operated to our potential, and so doing would be great as of itself, before any sugar daddy.

Think Gretna. :tumble:

Aye, but Gretna was a farce. A club with only a few hundred supporters. It could never last.

HibsMax
07-11-2014, 10:47 PM

It's not really buying anything though, it's doing what it takes to compete with the rest of the teams that we want to compete with. If we want to play pub teams then there's no need to invest any money in the team really, but if we want / expect more then we have to pay for that. While not impossible it's highly improbably that Hibs will ever compete with the big boys in Europe without major investment.