PDA

View Full Version : Jim Goodwin

Seveno
05-11-2014, 05:58 PM
I am amazed that, with his history, he has got away with a 3 match ban for his latest thuggery. His serial cowardly elbowing of fellow players, often young players, is a disgrace to the game. One of these days, he will seriously injure someone.

How can the SFA allow this to continue ?

hibees 7062
05-11-2014, 06:00 PM
I am amazed that, with his history, he has got away with a 3 match ban for his latest thuggery. His serial cowardly elbowing of fellow players, often young players, is a disgrace to the game. One of these days, he will seriously injure someone.

Or better still somone will nail him

ancient hibee
05-11-2014, 06:01 PM
When you think that Willie Woodburn was banned for life for being sent off 4 times in his career and our own Alex Edwards was suspended for 8 weeks for his 4 bookings in the one season times have changed.

IFONLY
05-11-2014, 06:14 PM

Thug of the highest order.

Delboy*
05-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Hes past it, slower than a month in saughton.
I cant believe they dont have a better young player.

davidw
05-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Hes past it, slower than a month in saughton.
I cant believe they dont have a better young player.
I can't believe we tried to sign him...

Crops73
05-11-2014, 06:24 PM

He plays for the Celtic wee team.

Deansy
05-11-2014, 06:39 PM
When you think that Willie Woodburn was banned for life for being sent off 4 times in his career and our own Alex Edwards was suspended for 8 weeks for his 4 bookings in the one season times have changed.

And Tommy McLean of the Hun, got 4 (Four) weeks suspension for his 4 bookings in the SAME season - SFA a joke then and a joke now.

hibees 7062
05-11-2014, 08:18 PM
I can't believe we tried to sign him...

And got knocked back

eastterrace
05-11-2014, 08:35 PM

think if you check wee mickey got sent off a lot, not because he was a dirty player its just other players would try and wind him up, so the eight weeks was given for his overall record

Hermit Crab
05-11-2014, 08:43 PM
He got pelters on sportsound tonight from the panel. Everyone slated him except jim spence who stuck up for him.

jdships
05-11-2014, 08:44 PM

Just beat me to that posting
Woodburn's short fuse was well known and he was suspended on three occasions for his " misdemeanors"
On 8 August 1954, playing with a leg injury, Woodburn took exception to a bad foul and retaliated by headbutting Alec Paterson Stirling No 9 (?) .
What ever happened to him :greengrin
At the hearing he was given "Sine Die" suspension ( was he the last British footballer to receive such a ban ?)
The SFA revoked their punishment three years later, but by then Woodburn was 37 and his playing career was over.

General concensus at the time was the punishment was OTT !:rolleyes:

Think St Mirren have to look at how long they , as a club , can afford to have this guy around Love St !!!

Peevemor
05-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Willie Woodburn owned Thimblehall Garage at the bottom of Craiglockhart Avenue for years and his house overlooked Kingsknowe Park (my old stomping ground, known locally as the quarry pitches). He was a real gent and certainly didn't deserve the reputation that the notorious ban gave him.

ancient hibee
05-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Willie also worked as a newspaper man-I've still got his autograph and was a Heriot's boy.

Although the SFA did take previous into account with Edwards would it be cynical to suggest that when he got his 8 weeks we were challenging strongly for the league.His 4 th booking was against East Fife.Love had kicked him from one end of the park to the other without being penalised never mind booked.Edwards finally got free of him-still 0-0-headed for the bye line and the ref then blew up for the foul.Edwards picked up the ball and threw it down-booked-suspended-season over.

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Joke decision. He should be banned for months. It's getting silly now how often he elbows folk. Their game against DUFC round about Xmas time last year was a disgrace. He hit two of their young lads with elbows, one was Gauld I'm sure. Was pure deliberate thuggery to try and intimidate them. Total Sunday league stuff.
Disgrace that his red card for his challenge on Thomson last season was rescinded as well! They should be making an example of him at every opportunity

Kato
06-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Willie also worked as a newspaper man-I've still got his autograph and was a Heriot's boy.

Although the SFA did take previous into account with Edwards would it be cynical to suggest that when he got his 8 weeks we were challenging strongly for the league.His 4 th booking was against East Fife.Love had kicked him from one end of the park to the other without being penalised never mind booked.Edwards finally got free of him-still 0-0-headed for the bye line and the ref then blew up for the foul.Edwards picked up the ball and threw it down-booked-suspended-season over.

Can't remember all the details but Stanton also got a hefty ban around the same time as did Blackley. Blackey's final booking being for complaining about Rangers winning goal at Ibrox being offside, when in fact it was actually way, way offside.

calumhibee1
06-11-2014, 08:07 AM

I'm not often one to agree with that, but if anyone deserves a career ender then it's Jim Goodwin. :agree:

Keith_M
06-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Even his own Manager is in the Papers today saying he should stop his elbowing.

"The board met with Jim Goodwin today. Jim and the club have accepted the offer of a fixed penalty from the Scottish FA. The club are disappointed in Jim’s conduct given that this is not the first time he has been guilty of an offence of this nature. The club have taken internal disciplinary action, which the player has accepted.”

I think it's about time the guy was totally hammered for this.

eastterrace
06-11-2014, 01:29 PM

yes your spot on love did boot edwards about that day as he was trying to get him sent off but mickey finally snapped and was booked and that was our league challenge gone as brownlie broke his leg that day as well, never liked east fife since.

Seveno
06-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Even his own Manager is in the Papers today saying he should stop his elbowing.

"The board met with Jim Goodwin today. Jim and the club have accepted the offer of a fixed penalty from the Scottish FA. The club are disappointed in Jim’s conduct given that this is not the first time he has been guilty of an offence of this nature. The club have taken internal disciplinary action, which the player has accepted.”

I think it's about time the guy was totally hammered for this.

That part you highlighted in bold speaks volumes. If his club can see it, why can't the SFA?

Forza Fred
06-11-2014, 07:34 PM

Can't agree re cynical comment AC.

My recollection is that we were sitting pretty in the league after just having beat Hertz 7-0, which actually put us top, and the double whammy of mickey's suspension and Brownlie's leg break effectively put a spoke in our wheels as it dented our attacking prowess down the right hand side.

After that, we went with a whimper rather than a bang.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-11-2014, 10:23 PM
All the players and pundits, that have previously said that this is an ugly but necessary part of his game, will surely be running to his defence? Danny Lennon said more than once that this boy was hard but fair, and was being unfairly discriminated. Those guys need to be consistent and come out and criticise the ban and St Mirren for supporting it.

Kato
06-11-2014, 10:29 PM
All the players and pundits, that have previously said that this is an ugly but necessary part of his game, will surely be running to his defence? Danny Lennon said more than once that this boy was hard but fair, and was being unfairly discriminated. Those guys need to be consistent and come out and criticise the ban and St Mirren for supporting it.

Like Steven Thomson, week after week on Sportscence.

hibees 7062
06-11-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm not often one to agree with that, but if anyone deserves a career ender then it's Jim Goodwin. :agree:

:agree:

JimBHibees
07-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Can't remember all the details but Stanton also got a hefty ban around the same time as did Blackley. Blackey's final booking being for complaining about Rangers winning goal at Ibrox being offside, when in fact it was actually way, way offside.

Blackley got sent off in that game as did Stanton I think. McLean was about 5 yards off.

ancient hibee
07-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Can't agree re cynical comment AC.

My recollection is that we were sitting pretty in the league after just having beat Hertz 7-0, which actually put us top, and the double whammy of mickey's suspension and Brownlie's leg break effectively put a spoke in our wheels as it dented our attacking prowess down the right hand side.

After that, we went with a whimper rather than a bang.

I was being cynical re the SFA being worried that we might actually win the league.

Aldo
07-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Repeat offender who is a thug.

And to think Duncan got the jail for less contact.

emerald green
08-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Nothing is really done to deter players like this.

Meaningful action will possibly only be taken after he seriously injures someone.