PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Squad for Ireland and England

SteveHFC
04-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Burnley), Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders: Phil Bardsley (Stoke City), Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Craig Forsyth (Derby County), Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders: Ikechi Anya (Watford), Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace), Scott Brown (Celtic), Craig Bryson (Derby County), Chris Burke (Nottingham Forest), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Lewis Macleod (Rangers), Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Sunderland), Chris Martin (Derby County), Steven May (Sheffield Wednesday), Steven Naismith (Everton).

Sylar
04-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Quite pleased to see Hutton has been dropped after his abysmal display against Poland.

Strong looking squad and unsurprising to see young Lewis McLeod in there - he's been playing well for The Rangers lately.

Big_Franck
04-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Quite pleased to see Hutton has been dropped after his abysmal display against Poland.

Strong looking squad and unsurprising to see young Lewis McLeod in there - he's been playing well for The Rangers lately.

He's not been dropped he's injured

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11200784/Aston-Villa-injury-blow-as-Alan-Hutton-is-ruled-out-for-two-weeks.html

Hopefully Bardsley starts at right back. Good to see Fletcher get a couple of goals last night. Looking forward to the game already!

Big_Franck
04-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Burnley), Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders: Phil Bardsley (Stoke City), Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Craig Forsyth (Derby County), Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders: Ikechi Anya (Watford), Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace), Scott Brown (Celtic), Craig Bryson (Derby County), Chris Burke (Nottingham Forest), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Lewis Macleod (Rangers), Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Sunderland), Chris Martin (Derby County), Steven May (Sheffield Wednesday), Steven Naismith (Everton).

Shouldn't be anywhere near the squad IMO. Strange choice.

Elephant Stone
04-11-2014, 01:00 PM

Hutton is one of the most overrated players I can think of, have never seen anyone take so long to get back to defend after losing the ball.

Deansy
04-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Lewis Macleod ? - suppose they had to do something to attract the miniscule % of the Hun-element who actually support Scotland and not England/N.Ireland !!!

Sylar
04-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Shouldn't be anywhere near the squad IMO. Strange choice.

Not overly - he's had some exceptional performances for that lot in the past wee while and is a great young prospect.

He's not playing at the highest level but neither are a lot of the English resident players.

ballengeich
04-11-2014, 01:20 PM
I suspect MacLeod's in on the same basis as Gould last time - not expected to play, but a youngster with a future who gets the chance to meet the internationals and learn what it's like being in the Scotland squad. Strachan's keen on getting to know the players' personalities so he gets a look at MacLeod too.

blackpoolhibs
04-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Hutton was poor against Poland, but he's played well for a long time in a Scotland shirt. Even when he's not been playing or out on loan he's never let us down.

JimBHibees
04-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Hutton was poor against Poland, but he's played well for a long time in a Scotland shirt. Even when he's not been playing or out on loan he's never let us down.

I agree he has done well and gives us a decent option going forward on the right.

PeterboroHibee
04-11-2014, 01:58 PM
I suspect MacLeod's in on the same basis as Gould last time - not expected to play, but a youngster with a future who gets the chance to meet the internationals and learn what it's like being in the Scotland squad. Strachan's keen on getting to know the players' personalities so he gets a look at MacLeod too.

Id argue that the guys he is calling up as 'ones for the future' arent youngsters though (with the exception of Gauld). Most of them are 20-22, which these days isnt young when players are breaking through at 16-17. They are all first team regulars, and have played a lot of club football. Its not a criticism of Strachan as he is doing very well, but I just dont get why he calls these guys up and doesnt play them.

Recently weve seen Gauld, Pawlett and McGregor in the squad, with the latest being MacLeod. Weve had various friendlies recently where hes had ample opportunity to try out some of these guys (who imo are more talented than some of their more experienced counterparts). Its a shame as I dont see too many other nations as reluctant to give guys a try, and who knows, it may give us something different.

Squealing pig
04-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Griffiths?

The Green Goblin
04-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Griffiths?

They're still trying to remove the Celtic badge from his mouth. Touch and go from what I hear...

ballengeich
04-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Id argue that the guys he is calling up as 'ones for the future' arent youngsters though (with the exception of Gauld). Most of them are 20-22, which these days isnt young when players are breaking through at 16-17.

At international level we have under 21 teams as players generally aren't expected to establish themselves in national teams at that age, though they may well be regular club starters. As the age definition means under 21 at the start of a two year tournament cycle players in under 21 finals can be 23 before their eligibility ends and they're expected to be mature enough to compete for their full national side. MacLeod's 20 so I regard him as a youngster in international terms.

Scottie
04-11-2014, 05:15 PM
They're still trying to remove the Celtic badge from his mouth. Touch and go from what I hear...
:hilarious :greengrin

ancient hibee
04-11-2014, 05:16 PM

Has he gone from hero to zero in your eyes?

H18S NX
04-11-2014, 05:35 PM
They're still trying to remove the Celtic badge from his mouth. Touch and go from what I hear........TEE-HEE:greengrin

The Green Goblin
04-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Has he gone from hero to zero in your eyes?

He plays for Celtic, wears their shirt and kisses the badge on it and on that basis alone he is therefore not a "hero" to me. Loved it when he played for Hibs, so definitely not a "zero" either.

But he doesn't play for Hibs. He supports Hibs (great) and scored some great goals for us (loved them - fantastic to see) but until he commits to signing for Hibs as a Hibs player and has a few good seasons, then he might be worthy of the term "hero" or "legend" or whatever, in the same way as Sauzee and others who actually signed and stuck around could claim to be called. I'm happy to see him play for Hibs cos he clearly loves the club and he's a great player, but "hero" or "legend" he will only be in my eyes when we stop being a handy stop-off point for him to get some game time in because the "bigger" club he plays for don't include him in their plans.

gaz1875
04-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Lewis McLeod???...What a joke, I hear every time The Rangers are on TV the commentators bumming him up as a super star...average player in an average team at best. :confused:

hibee-boys
04-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Lewis McLeod???...What a joke, I hear every time The Rangers are on TV the commentators bumming him up as a super star...average player in an average team at best. :confused:

Exactly, how many old firm young potential world beaters have gone on to ply their trade in the lower leagues? Every youngster who comes through the ranks in Glasgow is destined for greatness, the majority disappoint!

Mark79
04-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Exactly, how many old firm young potential world beaters have gone on to ply their trade in the lower leagues? Every youngster who comes through the ranks in Glasgow is destined for greatness, the majority disappoint!

As good as john fleck?

Aldoo
04-11-2014, 07:46 PM
As good as john fleck?

Beat me to it.

Now playing at Coventry.

The media had a campaign to get him starting against Holland away a few years back when he was about 17.

hibee-boys
04-11-2014, 07:57 PM
As good as john fleck?

Prime example, it was sickening watching the west coast bias media wet their breeks when he 'blasted' onto the scene!

Haymaker
05-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Prime example, it was sickening watching the west coast bias media wet their breeks when he 'blasted' onto the scene!

Mark Burchill was another. "Scotlands answer to Michael Owen" iirc

erin go bragh
06-11-2014, 08:08 AM

As much as i dislike Hutton ( some players never lose that hun look ) what you say BH is spot on .

Ggtth

hfc rd
06-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Scott Allan? If Macleod can get a call up then Scott Allan certainly deserves one!

Rivers Cuomo
06-11-2014, 05:12 PM
As good as john fleck?

"The Scottish Rooney" lol

portycabbage
06-11-2014, 08:13 PM

Bit samey up front - 75% of our forwards are called Steven.

Future17
07-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Id argue that the guys he is calling up as 'ones for the future' arent youngsters though (with the exception of Gauld). Most of them are 20-22, which these days isnt young when players are breaking through at 16-17. They are all first team regulars, and have played a lot of club football. Its not a criticism of Strachan as he is doing very well, but I just dont get why he calls these guys up and doesnt play them.

Recently weve seen Gauld, Pawlett and McGregor in the squad, with the latest being MacLeod. Weve had various friendlies recently where hes had ample opportunity to try out some of these guys (who imo are more talented than some of their more experienced counterparts). Its a shame as I dont see too many other nations as reluctant to give guys a try, and who knows, it may give us something different.

When you have a squad of 27 players, not all of them are going to get to play. I know the England game is a friendly, but we're not likely to play a weakened team. I'd say that you have 22/23 players who are starters/possible starters/cover for starters, leaving space for a few players who Strachan wants to look at to see how they train, how they fit in to the squad dynamic and how they respond to his methods.

I think there's an element of national team management which involves picking a small section of your squad based on the starting XI you might be selecting in a year or two.

I'm a bit surprised at the criticism of Lewis MacLeod - how many on here have seen him play regularly this season?

Unseen work
07-11-2014, 02:02 PM
First time in years i actually feel interested in scotland again, there is a consistency in the squad and they know what it means to play for scotland

A good group of players in the squad and not in the squad.

Wouldnt be suprised if fleck gets put in the squad soon as he is doing very well and is one of their key men playing in a deep midfielder role

JimBHibees
07-11-2014, 02:08 PM
When you have a squad of 27 players, not all of them are going to get to play. I know the England game is a friendly, but we're not likely to play a weakened team. I'd say that you have 22/23 players who are starters/possible starters/cover for starters, leaving space for a few players who Strachan wants to look at to see how they train, how they fit in to the squad dynamic and how they respond to his methods.

I think there's an element of national team management which involves picking a small section of your squad based on the starting XI you might be selecting in a year or two.

I'm a bit surprised at the criticism of Lewis MacLeod - how many on here have seen him play regularly this season?

Agree he looks a cracking player to me. Only included IMO like Gauld to experience the squad environment. Stachan made mention a few weeks back of wanting to get to know the players he didnt know.

Lago
07-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Not overly - he's had some exceptional performances for that lot in the past wee while and is a great young prospect.

He's not playing at the highest level but neither are a lot of the English resident players.
No way is the Scottish 2nd any where near the same level that the Englished based players are operating in.
A sop to the Ibrox support.