PDA

View Full Version : Stuart McCall has left Motherwell

Billychaotic182
02-11-2014, 07:52 PM
As the title says. Thoughts?

ozzie
02-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Stuart mccalls resigned. Not a massive shock. Taken them as far as he could.

stevie-bee
02-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Stuart mccalls resigned. Not a massive shock. Taken them as far as he could.
Just seen that ,
Hopefully a return for terry butcher

Spike Mandela
02-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Ally McCoist be afraid, be very afraid.:cb

Billychaotic182
02-11-2014, 07:57 PM

That was my initial thought

bingo70
02-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Still surprised we never went for him in the summer.

If we had he'd have been mad to turn us down, with the amount of players he lost every year it was inevitable he would struggle eventually, should have left while his stock was higher imo.

Kaff
02-11-2014, 07:59 PM
As the title says. Thoughts?

That is genuinely a shame imo. A manager who was able to get the most out of a limited budget consistently,seems strange that he has left at the first sign of failure and hope there's nothing untoward about the situation.
Also hope that it doesn't impact on his Scotland duties (any new job insisting he gives it up) as Strachans set up is obviously working

CropleyWasGod
02-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Don't think TRFC can afford to pay him off. :cb

Pretty Boy
02-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Thinks Motherwell are in a bit of a 'tick tock' situation. A huge financial black hole needing filled and a football team in serious decline. McCall has been smart to get out now when he can still stand by his record in the last few years.

Hopefully Butcher gets the job so he can stop stealing a wage from us.

Bishop Hibee
02-11-2014, 08:03 PM
He's done a good job at Motherwell and I'd imagine he'll find another club fairly quickly. As for Motherwell, they are in big trouble on and off the field.

Hibernia&Alba
02-11-2014, 08:04 PM
He did a terrific job there, and I'm sure the Motherwell fans will always remember him fondly. They're having a really bad season, but you can only successfully replace most of your team each season for so long. He'll soon get another offer - Rangers or elsewhere.

madabouthibs
02-11-2014, 08:04 PM
As said up there ^ , I think he'd taken them as far as he could.
I'm utterly flabbergasted that no one approached well for him in the summer.

One Day
02-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Just seen that ,
Hopefully a return for terry butcher

Hope so, and he takes them down too

CallumLaidlaw
02-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Thinks Motherwell are in a bit of a 'tick tock' situation. A huge financial black hole needing filled and a football team in serious decline. McCall has been smart to get out now when he can still stand by his record in the last few years.

Hopefully Butcher gets the job so he can stop stealing a wage from us.

I think if motherwell are looking for a guy that can keep an ok squad up, they'll steer well clear of Butcher

Billy Whizz
02-11-2014, 08:08 PM
I think if motherwell are looking for a guy that can keep an ok squad up, they'll steer well clear of Butcher

I agree, wonder if they'll look at one of their former players who's out of work, Derek Adams

Hibernia&Alba
02-11-2014, 08:08 PM
What's the extent of their financial problems?

Swedish hibee
02-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Never seen that coming actually.
Even though they've been doing badly- thought they'd stick with him.

Haymaker
02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Never seen that coming actually.
Even though they've been doing badly- thought they'd stick with him.

He has resigned not - He left them! :agree:

Mark79
02-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Butcher or fenlon for motherwell?

CallumLaidlaw
02-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Mcbookie with odds up already -
@McBookie: Next Motherwell Manager

3/1 D Adams 4/1 T Butcher 6/1 O Coyle 6/1 I Murray 7/1 G Locke 12/1 C Brown 16/1 S Pressley 16/1 M Mackay

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Motherwell are having an utter abomination of a season! Think what they need is some hoof ball. That will sort them out. Come on down Terry and Mo

gaz1875
02-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Wow a few bad results and off he runs...or is there something in the pipeline :confused:

Sir David Gray
02-11-2014, 08:21 PM
I don't think that's a massive surprise to be honest, they've had an awful start to the season.

Haymaker
02-11-2014, 08:24 PM
I don't think that's a massive surprise to be honest, they've had an awful start to the season.

Surprise he resigned though, most managers would stay for the pay off! :agree:

Hibernia&Alba
02-11-2014, 08:26 PM

Alistair McCoist nods head vigorously.

The Green Goblin
02-11-2014, 08:27 PM

Maybe that's what makes him better than them. Just look at what Butcher and Malpas are still taking out of Hibs with not a blot on their conscience.

superfurryhibby
02-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Like Mc Call's style. A good manager who should go on to better things. Reckon Adams is a shoe-in for it.

Haymaker
02-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Maybe that's what makes him better than them. Just look at what Butcher and Malpas are still taking out of Hibs with not a blot on their conscience.

:agree: maybe.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Good manager. All the best to him :aok:

seanshow
02-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Wow a few bad results and off he runs...or is there something in the pipeline :confused:

Exactly a poor opening quarter, but surely things could be turned around :confused:

Some record he has with Murderwell finishing 6th,3rd,2nd,2nd, unbelievable.

pedroorange1875
02-11-2014, 08:32 PM

pay off probably means declaration of administration, then nothing anyway

ekhibee
02-11-2014, 08:33 PM
I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if Locke went for it, he's used to managing a team with no money, but Adams is definitely the favourite IMO.

Weststandwanab
02-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Don't think TRFC can afford to pay him off. :cb

Thy won't need to when Ashley buys" them from the Administrators 2

I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if Locke went for it, he's used to managing a team with no money, but Adams is definitely the favourite IMO.

Locke is a fair shout !

R11Loaded
02-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Boy at work is a Motherwell fan, he said today that they played well Friday in his opinion just they are on the kinda form that sees one goal take all the fight and belief out the boys.

Sounds a bit well, familiar

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

weonlywon6-2
02-11-2014, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=CallumLaidlaw;4215540]Mcbookie with odds up already -
@McBookie: Next Motherwell Manager

3/1 D Adams 4/1 T Butcher 6/1 O Coyle 6/1 I Murray 7/1 G Locke 12/1 C Brown 16/1 S Pressley 16/1 M Mackay[/QUOTE

I thought halloween was over,excluding ian murray thats a scary bunch

eastmainsmsh
02-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Billy Reid worth a punt imo

Peevemor
02-11-2014, 09:23 PM
I hate to admit it, but Gary Cocke could be a decent shout.

trev the hat
02-11-2014, 09:26 PM
McCall was my preferred choice for us pre Butcher, he's a very decent manager who's record over last few years at Well should see him gain another shot at a club down south.
Well really are in serious decline after their dizzy heights of a few seasons ago. I wish him well if he goes back to England.

Stranraer
02-11-2014, 09:27 PM
No idea who is going to replace him. Have Motherwell finished 2nd for the past 2 or 3 seasons?

Hibernia&Alba
02-11-2014, 09:30 PM
No idea who is going to replace him. Have Motherwell finished 2nd for the past 2 or 3 seasons?

Yes, they've punched well above their weight and full credit to them, but they're in a mess. I just had a look at a 'Well forum and a number of fans are saying the club will fold if they're relegated. I didn't know their problems are so severe.

Bostonhibby
02-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Good manager, should we now be praying for fat sally? We really need him to hang on at Scotlands newest team for as long as possible.

Dashing Bob S
02-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Motherwell never recovered from losing Leanne Dempster.

ian cruise
02-11-2014, 10:36 PM

I hate to admit it but Locke did a good job last year (he's the reason the cave man is doing so well now, when it goes wrong neilson will have no answers). Locke would be a good appointment for them. I hope they go for butcher

FitbaFolkKen
02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Is it bad that I have taken so little interest in the top flight since we got relegated that I didn't even notice they were doing badly.

I like Mccall and he has done a superb job at Motherwell over the last few seasons, surprised he has stayed there so long. Good luck to him.

lord bunberry
03-11-2014, 08:14 AM
If I was a Motherwell fan I wouldn't be happy with him. He was happy to take the plaudits when everything was going great, but as soon as they're struggling a bit he's bailed out. It doesn't say much for his character tbh, he should've stayed and kept them up before walking away.

Stevie Reid
03-11-2014, 09:13 AM
This was the first season in the last few where I just expected them to carry on what they were doing - each of the previous ones I presumed that they would get worse due to them constantly losing their best players. Motherwell have gotten a lot right in terms of manager and player recruitment in the last few years - not to mention being rather fortunate at times in not being severely punished for their own administration, not being relegated when they finished bottom of the league, and then benefiting from a CL place as a result of Rangers' admin - so I suppose it was unlikely to carry on forever.

McCall has done a great job, they have played some excellent football and he always came across really well. Part of the Scotland coaching staff too, so maybe he won't be so keen to get back into club management.

Stevie Reid
03-11-2014, 09:15 AM
If I was a Motherwell fan I wouldn't be happy with him. He was happy to take the plaudits when everything was going great, but as soon as they're struggling a bit he's bailed out. It doesn't say much for his character tbh, he should've stayed and kept them up before walking away.

I don't really think that's fair. He had the opportunity to go to Sheffield United in 2013, a much bigger club whom he had an affinity with, but turned them down to stay at Motherwell. They've had an horrendous start to the season, and I think they're on the sort of run that will probably only be changed by something dramatic like this.

lord bunberry
03-11-2014, 09:31 AM
I don't really think that's fair. He had the opportunity to go to Sheffield United in 2013, a much bigger club whom he had an affinity with, but turned them down to stay at Motherwell. They've had an horrendous start to the season, and I think they're on the sort of run that will probably only be changed by something dramatic like this.

What sort message does it send out though? When the chips are down you want your manager to be the one leading the fightback, not bailing out with 3/4 of the season still to go.

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Sometimes a manager sees the writing on the wall and knows he will struggle to turn things round. He doesn't owe Motherwell anything as far as I can see.

Considering how well they have done in the last few seasons the response of the Motherwell and Wishaw public has been, to say the least, disappointing, especially considering how hard the club has worked to engage with them. No disrespect to the folk who watch them week in week out but it must have been depressing for him and perhaps Leeann as well to watch a club they had punching well above its weight run out in front of 5,500 fans at Fir Park.

If they do end up going under, which I hope they don't, perhaps the folk who desert them every Saturday to watch the ugly sisters will feel just a wee bit guilty .... though I doubt it.

Keith_M
03-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Yes, they've punched well above their weight and full credit to them, but they're in a mess. I just had a look at a 'Well forum and a number of fans are saying the club will fold if they're relegated. I didn't know their problems are so severe.

If so, they're in a much worse state than I imagined.

Their biggest problem is that, no matter how well they do, they can't persuade enough people to come and watch them.

Peevemor
03-11-2014, 09:58 AM
It's funny that when a manager leaves another club, we happily discuss the rights and wrongs of his decision. When somebody leaves any job at Hibs, the sinister element of board interference always comes into the debate.

Just saying like ...

CallumLaidlaw
03-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Sometimes a manager sees the writing on the wall and knows he will struggle to turn things round. He doesn't owe Motherwell anything as far as I can see.

Considering how well they have done in the last few seasons the response of the Motherwell and Wishaw public has been, to say the least, disappointing, especially considering how hard the club has worked to engage with them. No disrespect to the folk who watch them week in week out but it must have been depressing for him and perhaps Leeann as well to watch a club they had punching well above its weight run out in front of 5,500 fans at Fir Park.

If they do end up going under, which I hope they don't, perhaps the folk who desert them every Saturday to watch the ugly sisters will feel just a wee bit guilty .... though I doubt it.

Absolutely. If we'd been doing the same as them for the last 3 years, we'd have 12,000 season ticket holders and another 4,000 walk ups each week.

Stevie Reid
03-11-2014, 10:03 AM
What sort message does it send out though? When the chips are down you want your manager to be the one leading the fightback, not bailing out with 3/4 of the season still to go.

It sends out the message that he's big enough to admit that he doesn't think he can turn it around, and someone else can get them out of their current predicament. Really don't see any problem with what he's done.

Bostonhibby
03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
It's funny that when a manager leaves another club, we happily discuss the rights and wrongs of his decision. When somebody leaves any job at Hibs, the sinister element of board interference always comes into the debate.

Just saying like ...

I blame Petrie:greengrin

Onion
03-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Butcher or fenlon for motherwell?

Would LOVE Butcher to get the job.

1. He'd be off our payroll.
2. We'd get a chance to welcome him back to ER, and put an extra 3000 on the gate :green grin

Onion
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Can't blame him. Generally accepted that he's worked minor miracles at Well but you cannot do that indefinitely. Makes complete sense to bail out while his stock is still intact. Red Lex wrote the book on this.

TheFamous1875
03-11-2014, 12:10 PM
It might actually be a good job for Terry Butcher to take! I'd assume he'd have Lasley and Hamell on side, and given they came through successfully during his first spell and they're still the main Motherwell men at the club who probably set the standards for the team; this could work in Butcher's favour.

There are a lot of hardworking players at the club and he wouldn't take any **** (as we unfortunately experienced to our detriment).

Aye, gee Butcher the joab!:thumbsup:

IanM
03-11-2014, 04:22 PM
McCall's parting email to the fans

http://eepurl.com/7njOn

Can't help thinking that Petrie should have sent this 7 years ago :wink:

JimBHibees
03-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Can't help thinking that Petrie should have sent this 7 years ago :wink:

What a classy email that is. Obviously hurting bad though after 5 years or so probably thinks a new face could do better. He certainly did a brilliant job at Motherwell and does genuinely come across as a very decent guy. Wish him all the best.

col02
03-11-2014, 05:07 PM
What a classy email that is. Obviously hurting bad though after 5 years or so probably thinks a new face could do better. He certainly did a brilliant job at Motherwell and does genuinely come across as a very decent guy. Wish him all the best.

I echo these thoughts. McCall comes across as an honest guy. Best of luck to him.

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2014, 05:23 PM
What sort message does it send out though? When the chips are down you want your manager to be the one leading the fightback, not bailing out with 3/4 of the season still to go.When the chips are down people on here call for our manager to do the decent thing and resign (and abuse him pretty vigorously if he doesn't) . Maybe McCall has done just that?

Jonnyboy
03-11-2014, 06:21 PM

I see what you're saying but can't help but think I wish TB had shown the same concerns when he was at the head of a sinking ship :wink:

lord bunberry
03-11-2014, 06:49 PM
When the chips are down people on here call for our manager to do the decent thing and resign (and abuse him pretty vigorously if he doesn't) . Maybe McCall has done just that?

I very much doubt a manager who had led us to 2 consecutive 2nd place finishes would be under pressure to resign after a quarter of the season.

lord bunberry
03-11-2014, 06:54 PM
I see what you're saying but can't help but think I wish TB had shown the same concerns when he was at the head of a sinking ship :wink:

I agree and I wish calderwood had done the decent thing as well. I doubt many Motherwell fans were happy to see McCall walk away as I doubt they'll get as good a replacement. I'm sure he's got his reasons, but it seems to me that when the going got tough he walked away.

Stokesy's on fire
03-11-2014, 07:08 PM
strange departure and he sounded like a broken man with his email to the fans...I might stick a cheeky tenner on Keith Lasley to be their new gaffer.

Scouse Hibee
03-11-2014, 07:37 PM
I wish him all the best, he doesn't owe Motherwell anything and has made the decision to leave on his own terms which is fair enough. He felt he couldn't turn it around so it was pointless staying.

RIP
04-11-2014, 09:23 PM

That's a long list of people past and present he worked beside. No John Boyle or Leeann Dempster

The Green Goblin
05-11-2014, 01:29 AM
That's a long list of people past and present he worked beside. No John Boyle or Leeann Dempster

Thats what I thought too.

WestCoastHibby
05-11-2014, 10:27 AM
He probably should have jacked in the summer. This was always likely to happen eventually. Tam Cowans saying he's enjoying the excitement of a relegation dogfight. Not so sure I'd agree with that one......

Andy74
05-11-2014, 10:35 AM
I very much doubt a manager who had led us to 2 consecutive 2nd place finishes would be under pressure to resign after a quarter of the season.

Do you think? I'd think we would very much have put him under pressure.

Hibernia&Alba
05-11-2014, 03:18 PM
He probably should have jacked in the summer. This was always likely to happen eventually. Tam Cowans saying he's enjoying the excitement of a relegation dogfight. Not so sure I'd agree with that one......

If it's true that relegation could finish them because of their financial problems, Cowan mightn't enjoy it for long. There's nothing exciting about getting horsed every week.