PDA

View Full Version : Time to forget last season?

matty_f
01-11-2014, 02:44 PM
There have been a couple of things coming out from the club in recent weeks that make reference to last season hampering the progress of the team and club this season. I'm thinking about Leeann Dempster's statement on here, and Stubbs' interviews where he's said he's still getting grief for stuff that happened before he arrived.
There appears to have been an upward shift in performances recently, particularly over the last couple of games, and we're on a run that has seen us have just 1 defeat in 9 games over 90 minutes of football (2 defeats if you take penalties v Dundee Utd into consideration.)

Stubbs is clearly improving things, there are good players in the side and we have players showing a great attitude and playing an attractive style of play.

Rightly or wrongly, IMHO we have over-reacted to bad results this season because of the hangover from last season. The two draws following the win against Rangers are an example, IIRC people were talking about protesting again, for example (I'm sure Leeann Dempster's post appeared over that period).

I think that the support can play it's part in helping the team challenge at the top of the league. We're a good bit off the top but I can only see that gap closing if we continue to play like we have been. The players have lacked belief, IMHO - and this is something the support can help with.

For me, the time has long since passed to keep going on about last season, and for making the players and manager accountable for what happened then. Petrie absolutely remains an issue, and will do until he goes, but the day to day support of the club has to recover to a point where it is actually that - a support, if we're to continue to build on what look like very good foundations being laid down by Stubbs and Dempster.

bobbyhibs1983
01-11-2014, 03:06 PM
For me, the time has long since passed to keep going on about last season, and for making the players and manager accountable for what happened then. .

You have made alot of good points, but the first part of the last paragraph i dont really agree with.

Im unsure why we have to let it pass.I guess okay this has happeend cant do anything bout it kinda thing, that i get.But alot fo the players we have today were part of the problem last season.Do you feel most of the players whom got us relegated last year have inproved?

It only seems to happen in football that if things go badly, and i would include getting relegated as something going badly wrong, little will happen.

What i think annoys alot of people is the lack of accountantability.I mean the players from last season, how many have stayed?gone?
I know the players have contracts and stuff, but it just seems like if people fail , i regard relegation as failing , it is accepable,
and that is wrong imo

Sir David Gray
01-11-2014, 03:13 PM
People's mood will improve if we continue to play well and pick up decent results.

Unfortunately when we fail to beat part time teams like Alloa and Dumbarton then the knives will undoubtedly come out again. As you say, the Petrie situation remains a problem and the ill feeling towards him will continue to simmer under the surface and whenever we hit a slump all the anger and frustration towards him will boil over again.

cmcd
01-11-2014, 03:16 PM
You have made alot of good points, but the first part of the last paragraph i dont really agree with.

Im unsure why we have to let it pass.I guess okay this has happeend cant do anything bout it kinda thing, that i get.But alot fo the players we have today were part of the problem last season.Do you feel most of the players whom got us relegated last year have inproved?

It only seems to happen in football that if things go badly, and i would include getting relegated as something going badly wrong, little will happen.

What i think annoys alot of people is the lack of accountantability.I mean the players from last season, how many have stayed?gone?
I know the players have contracts and stuff, but it just seems like if people fail , i regard relegation as failing , it is accepable,
and that is wrong imo
Most of the players who were accountable last season are no longer with the club so where is the problem ? The management team who were the main problem are also gone The cub are on the up so lets get behind them and enjoy the experience

Wighty76
01-11-2014, 03:19 PM
learn from it and move on. every single hibee kens how bad it was.

cmcd
01-11-2014, 03:21 PM
learn from it and move on. every single hibee kens how bad it was.
Spot on Wighty

Ozyhibby
01-11-2014, 03:27 PM
It can't be forgotten while we are in this league. That is just a fact.
Start winning games, get is out of this league and then the club can begin to recover.
Petrie's departure would also help.

Forza Fred
01-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Start winning games, get is out of this league and then the club can begin to recover.

Get us out of this league, then we can start the 'forgetting' bit

PeeJay
01-11-2014, 04:10 PM
There have been a couple of things coming out from the club in recent weeks that make reference to last season hampering the progress of the team and club this season. I'm thinking about Leeann Dempster's statement on here, and Stubbs' interviews where he's said he's still getting grief for stuff that happened before he arrived.
There appears to have been an upward shift in performances recently, particularly over the last couple of games, and we're on a run that has seen us have just 1 defeat in 9 games over 90 minutes of football (2 defeats if you take penalties v Dundee Utd into consideration.)

Stubbs is clearly improving things, there are good players in the side and we have players showing a great attitude and playing an attractive style of play.

Rightly or wrongly, IMHO we have over-reacted to bad results this season because of the hangover from last season. The two draws following the win against Rangers are an example, IIRC people were talking about protesting again, for example (I'm sure Leeann Dempster's post appeared over that period).

I think that the support can play it's part in helping the team challenge at the top of the league. We're a good bit off the top but I can only see that gap closing if we continue to play like we have been. The players have lacked belief, IMHO - and this is something the support can help with.

For me, the time has long since passed to keep going on about last season, and for making the players and manager accountable for what happened then. Petrie absolutely remains an issue, and will do until he goes, but the day to day support of the club has to recover to a point where it is actually that - a support, if we're to continue to build on what look like very good foundations being laid down by Stubbs and Dempster.

Disagree - I think disgruntled Hibs fans are looking at the overall picture, not just this season - in my opinion some of the support has let's itself be fooled by Petrie's sacking of Butcher and appointment of Mrs Corporate Speak. What have we actually achieved in the Championship that would make any HIbs fan want to forget the disastrous situation we are in? A draw at home against 10 man Hearts, a defeat at home to Dundee United and a loss and a win at Ibrox - why not forget the losses to part timers and poor Championship clubs and the fact we are hardly scoring any goals in the lower league ...

Sorry, there's nothing to forget about yet, even getting promotion is not a reason to forget how bad we are. Stubbs should shut up about grief and get the team winning points to get us out of the league ... personally, I think Hibs fans have suffered a great deal more grief watching the slide downwards of this club than he has, it is not just last season ... get back to the SPFL and actually achieve something then we can maybe think about forgetting ...

Bishop Hibee
01-11-2014, 04:12 PM

Agree. Start beating teams in a convincing fashion on a regular basis is the next step. Stubbs is urging this in the press saying we need to press home the advantage when we are on top.

Stubbs has impressed me more than any manager we've had since Mixu. Long way to go though.

heretoday
01-11-2014, 04:32 PM
I've forgotten last season like a bad dream. Things are looking up a bit.

After 50 years of disappointments and the occasional high, I don't get too depressed anymore.

HFC 0-7
01-11-2014, 04:50 PM
I think we need to be mindful that Stubbs had nothing to do with last season, he has said so himself. There is nothing he can do about last season, or any of the other seasons that we have been rank. Stubbs has improved us, yes he has got a few things wrong but he is still learning his trade but he seems to have what it takes to be a good manager IMO. I don't think we can forget about last season but we must stop using it to criticise the current team and manager. I still think things are wrong at the club but the way Stubbs is working isn't one of them.

If we continue to give the team and manager a hard time just because of last season it won't make hibs look a good option for players in the future if they know they will be held responsible for other peoples failures.

Keith_M
01-11-2014, 05:03 PM
I think we need to be mindful that Stubbs had nothing to do with last season, he has said so himself. There is nothing he can do about last season, or any of the other seasons that we have been rank. Stubbs has improved us, yes he has got a few things wrong but he is still learning his trade but he seems to have what it takes to be a good manager IMO. I don't think we can forget about last season but we must stop using it to criticise the current team and manager. I still think things are wrong at the club but the way Stubbs is working isn't one of them.

If we continue to give the team and manager a hard time just because of last season it won't make hibs look a good option for players in the future if they know they will be held responsible for other peoples failures.

:agree:

I realise people are still hurting about our current position but I don't see how dwelling on it can help anybody, especially if it has the potential to affect the Manager, Players or new members of our Board.

Ronniekirk
01-11-2014, 07:12 PM

I am still gutted that Buffoon Butcher Mismanaged the situation so spectacularly .However the last few performances have given me hope that Stubbs is the right person to lead us back up and get us playing a brand of football that will excite the Fans .It was always going to take time given the circumstances that delayed his and his back rooms appointments , which in turn impacted on our ability to bring in players and prepare for life in new Division .
Therefor I for one am prepared to start moving on in realtion to supporting manager and players .

The Petrie issue is another Kettle of Fish alltogether ,but we seem unable to do anything about that at present time so I refuse to let him ruin my appreciation of Good Hibs performances .

flash
01-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Disagree - I think disgruntled Hibs fans are looking at the overall picture, not just this season - in my opinion some of the support has let's itself be fooled by Petrie's sacking of Butcher and appointment of Mrs Corporate Speak. What have we actually achieved in the Championship that would make any HIbs fan want to forget the disastrous situation we are in? A draw at home against 10 man Hearts, a defeat at home to Dundee United and a loss and a win at Ibrox - why not forget the losses to part timers and poor Championship clubs and the fact we are hardly scoring any goals in the lower league ...

Sorry, there's nothing to forget about yet, even getting promotion is not a reason to forget how bad we are. Stubbs should shut up about grief and get the team winning points to get us out of the league ... personally, I think Hibs fans have suffered a great deal more grief watching the slide downwards of this club than he has, it is not just last season ... get back to the SPFL and actually achieve something then we can maybe think about forgetting ...

What a miserable cheerless post.

Hibernia&Alba
01-11-2014, 07:52 PM

I think Peejay made a number of valid points, though. We can't forget last season whilst we're in the Championship, and perhaps we shouldn't forget but use last season as a reminder of the place we never want to be again. We have a long way to go before we have it right on and off the pitch, and perhaps a painful wake up call will do us good in the long run by making us confront our problems.

Northernhibee
01-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Maybe this is what we needed to really rebuild as a football club. Total fresh start. It's a disaster in some ways but if we come back with a new ethos and a new determination then we could be all the better for it long term.

Baldy Foghorn
01-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Maybe this is what we needed to really rebuild as a football club. Total fresh start. It's a disaster in some ways but if we come back with a new ethos and a new determination then we could be all the better for it long term.

A fresh start should mean just that, change of owner, change of board etc etc etc

kaimendhibs
01-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Last season is gone! Why look back unless looking for negatives? Onwards and upwards under Stubbs! We are playing much better football, can't we enjoy it and embrace it? Too many moans on here, support hibs or don't, it's simple really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-11-2014, 08:54 PM
I think it is a bit naive to ask people to forget last season. There are two things that will help to smooth the path to that though. First, we get back into the top flight and second, we can demonstrate that all lessons from last season and indeed from previous seasons have been learned.

OsloHibs
01-11-2014, 09:03 PM
I'll never forget Terry Butcher:casper: but the rest I have blanked out of memory.... God I sound like a hearts fan :embarrass

SunshineOnLeith
02-11-2014, 03:12 AM
get back to the SPFL and actually achieve something then we can maybe think about forgetting ... [/FONT]

We're already in the SPFL. As we were last season. And as we will be next season.

weonlywon6-2
02-11-2014, 06:31 AM

Good post mate,if only we could rid ourselves of the idiots that abuse our own players wed be laughing

PeeJay
02-11-2014, 09:44 AM

Just an honest appraisal of the situation on my part - anyway, your post made me laugh ... if you've managed to forget the embarrassing situation we are in already, then you won't have any problem in forgetting my "miserable, cheerless" post either, I'm sure ... just don't go blaming me for any of what goes on at ER :greengrin

IanM
02-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Last season will always be with us, as will the other relegation. 1-5, 22 games in a row, 112 years, terry butcher etc. etc..

Stubbs wants us is to look forward and I agree with him and he can't carry the can for what's happened in the past but it's easy for him or anyone outside the club to say that as they're not the ones that have to put up with what's happened.

i don't think about last season, I mean why would anyone still want to torture themselves?! I'm 100% behind Stubbs, the team, Leeann but I'm also 100% behind the removal of Petrie. Once that man goes it'll be the biggest welcome relief for just about every fan and especially the stay away fans.

I've enjoyed the football this season if not some of the results and I can't wait for Cowdenbeath 👍

stubbs carries no blame from me and he gets my support

H18Y GW
02-11-2014, 10:11 AM
I've forgiven and moved on, it's not like Hibs are your Mrs where if you fall out of love you can just bin her, its a kids love a forever love , your there for them come what May (pun intended)

We would have been facing watching another season of ***** if we hadn't been relegated so it's back to go forward now in my thinking, the negativity from the stands for the first few months has for me cost us the chance to win the league, Huns and Diets started the season on a high , we undoubtedly never and with a new team to boot..

Right now I want us to progress every week until the play offs , hit them in top form and get ourselves back up to where we belong with a team to match the tradition, not just a tradition with a ***** team since 2007

H18Y GW
02-11-2014, 10:14 AM

Didn't like the Font either😁

matty_f
02-11-2014, 10:41 AM

I think that's a better description of the point I was trying to make, Dave.

We need to move on from the angry emails and talk of protests when we draw a game etc, or when things don't go our way.

It doesn't benefit anyone to harp on about last season. Will it help Liam Craig, Scott Robertson, Lewis Stevenson etc to keep on at them because they were in the side last season? Will it focus Leeann Dempster and her staff's minds to be reminded that we're not happy to be in the Championship every time we don't win?

I think the team would benefit hugely from the fans behaviours and actions showing that we are recognising that Stubbs is improving things and that we're behind this season's team.

Malthibby
02-11-2014, 10:51 AM

We need to move on from the angry emails and talk of protests when we draw a game etc, or when things don't go our way.

It doesn't benefit anyone to harp on about last season. Will it help Liam Craig, Scott Robertson, Lewis Stevenson etc to keep on at them because they were in the side last season? Will it focus Leeann Dempster and her staff's minds to be reminded that we're not happy to be in the Championship every time we don't win?

I think the team would benefit hugely from the fans behaviours and actions showing that we are recognising that Stubbs is improving things and that we're behind this season's team.

Largely agree, but my counsellor thinks it will be a couple of years before I can forget last season.............

Hibernia&Alba
02-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Couldn't agree more with the sentences in bold. The fans must play their part in ensuring the feel good factor returns.

tamig
02-11-2014, 11:42 AM

I've moved on. While accepting that some of this seasons setbacks have been as a direct result of the destruction caused by the previous management team, Stubbs'team is now moving in the right direction. RP continues to cast an unwelcome shadow but I'm sure LD will also be feeling a bit more comfortable and positive about the direction we're heading.

Crazyhorse
02-11-2014, 12:39 PM
I've moved on. While accepting that some of this seasons setbacks have been as a direct result of the destruction caused by the previous management team, Stubbs'team is now moving in the right direction. RP continues to cast an unwelcome shadow but I'm sure LD will also be feeling a bit more comfortable and positive about the direction we're heading.

I think everyone supports Stubbs in his effort to rebuild the team and he seems to be having some success but I'm not sure we should let a reasonable good run of results cloud our judgement. Many supporters, including me, find the total incompetence and wilful neglect of Petrie/Farmer over recent years culminating in last season's disaster impossible to forgive. Its not a matter of moving on, or putting anything behind us, RP humiliated the club and will always be guilty of that. TF's unconditional backing for such a clown has severely damaged his reputation as a custodian of HFC. Long after they are gone that will be their legacy.

If we are promoted this season that will be a satisfactory performance and I will praise Stubbs for that. For me another season in this league is completely unacceptable. Anyone thinking such expectations are too high have, in my view, bought into the dramatically lowered expectations that seem to have been central to Petrie's regime over recent years.

Lucius Apuleius
02-11-2014, 12:50 PM
At the end of last season I was extremely strongly on the side of getting rid of absolutely every single person involved with Hibs last season. It didn't happen. The choice is then there what to do. Having worked in many places where behavioural safety is number one priority this is how I look at it. The aim of behavioural safety is to have zero reported or recorded incidents. Working where I did, that was pie in the sky, we were always going to have incidents. Does that make behavioural safety redundant? Absolutely not. You examine what went wrong, be it anything from a near miss to a fatality to the minutest detail to see what went wrong, learn from it and move on with the old proverbial line in the sand. This is where I believe me and Hibs are at the minute. I am looking at what went wrong (not in the minutest details obviously) and seeing where we are making the improvements to ensure it does not happen again. As an aside, with, at peak, 9,000 Nigerians building a gas to liquid plant over a period of 7 years we had a better than world class safety record. No fatalities (one very close though). In short, I have moved on, not forgotten but definitely moved on.

Nutmegged
02-11-2014, 12:56 PM
I think its impossible to forget last Season but holding onto the bad feeling and the negativity will do no-one any good in this instance, we've got a new manager who deserves the opportunity to improve us and its harsh that he suffers from sins of the past way before his time with us.

RIP
02-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Matty

If your post asks us to give the team and the manager a clean slate then I must admit I think it is time we did.

However let's not confuse the hard work and recent performances of Alan and the players with the maladministration of the club by Rod Petrie and his board in recent times. The pathetic propaganda that they keep pushing to us through their PA company is that you cannot be critical of the regime and support the team at the same time.

I don't know what is more annoying. The constant regurgitation of this myth or their assumption that we supporters are stupid enough to fall for it. They try and employ the phrase ' the club' to represent board and management. They are not and never will be worthy of that title.

We will always support our club and in 14/15 we can do this in two ways. The first by giving unconditional support for the team and manager for the rest of the season. The second by doing everything in our power to remove Rod Petrie from Easter Road. If that means buying his share of the club before the season is out - then so be it.

matty_f
02-11-2014, 03:02 PM
RIP, that's pretty much what I'm saying and I'm not asking anyone to let RP off the hook. Stubbs and the team need and deserve our backing. I'd go so far as to say Leeann Dempster also needs our backing.

Deansy
02-11-2014, 03:18 PM
I think everyone supports Stubbs in his effort to rebuild the team and he seems to be having some success but I'm not sure we should let a reasonable good run of results cloud our judgement. Many supporters, including me, find the total incompetence and wilful neglect of Petrie/Farmer over recent years culminating in last season's disaster impossible to forgive. Its not a matter of moving on, or putting anything behind us, RP humiliated the club and will always be guilty of that. TF's unconditional backing for such a clown has severely damaged his reputation as a custodian of HFC. Long after they are gone that will be their legacy.

If we are promoted this season that will be a satisfactory performance and I will praise Stubbs for that. For me another season in this league is completely unacceptable. Anyone thinking such expectations are too high have, in my view, bought into the dramatically lowered expectations that seem to have been central to Petrie's regime over recent years.

Agreed - 'IF' we get promoted, it'll be 'in spite of' and not 'because of' RP !. Current form may indicate in AS we have at decent manager at long last but until there's a reversal of the 'Business 1st - Football 2nd' ethos that Petrie has instilled at everyone and everything at ER, you have to ask how long will AS/good-form last ?. A complete purge from the top-down (LD excepted) is needed, replaced by a board who desire only success for Hibs and 'balancing the books' a necessity rather than the No.1 objective !!

Phil MaGlass
02-11-2014, 03:25 PM
I've forgiven and moved on, it's not like Hibs are your Mrs where if you fall out of love you can just bin her, its a kids love a forever love , your there for them come what May (pun intended)

We would have been facing watching another season of ***** if we hadn't been relegated so it's back to go forward now in my thinking, the negativity from the stands for the first few months has for me cost us the chance to win the league, Huns and Diets started the season on a high , we undoubtedly never and with a new team to boot..

Right now I want us to progress every week until the play offs , hit them in top form and get ourselves back up to where we belong with a team to match the tradition, not just a tradition with a ***** team since 2007

Please oh please dont be telling me that its the fans fault for having a bad start to the season f, n hahahaha of all the nonsense I have heard on this board this one really gets on ma tit5t " is the fans fault" nothing about we never had the right players, never mind the fact that we were supposed to have quality over quantity and not being able to land another decent striker. No it was all down tothe fans, well thankyou for pointing that bunch of bo11oks out. Now I dont wish to dwel in the past but it is really difficult to remember the last 7 odd years of mediocrity,especially last years debacle, but I am all for looking forward but we cant ignore the past, or the folk whom continue to blame the support for our bad start,wow. Many havebeen negative andquite rightly, but things are moving in the right direction and we need toget behind them.
Really, its the fans fault?????

basehibby
02-11-2014, 07:07 PM

and that is wrong imo

I would answer YES to this question - going by the last couple of performances at any rate.

Craig, Robertson, Stevenson, Hanlon - whether due to playing alongside better players, playing a style and formation which suits them better, or better coaching, all of them have looked like different and markedly better players than they did last season.

Only the churlish or the most determinedly and stubbornly miserable fans would fail to acknowledge that these performances were a massive improvement on last season which failed to yield victory more through poor luck than anything else.

Re your comments about failure being acceptable - I don't think anyone is trying to say that, but what purpose does it serve to ignore the improvements that have been made? Players that remain from last season will already have suffered wage cuts as a result of relegation and will only be in Stubbs's current side because they have proven themselves in training to be worthy of selection. What further punishment would you suggest - public flogging???

jacomo
04-11-2014, 03:37 PM

:agree:

Can't forget, I'm afraid. LD and AS are being unrealistic if they think years of decline - culminating in a totally avoidable relegation - can be forgotten after a few months. But we do seem finally to be on the way up again, and Hibs deserve support for that. I applaud the way that AS is going about things, and results will surely follow.