PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the fans representatives on the board?

Glorious St Pat
31-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Big question and if we are in agreement that should be the way forward, whoso we elect and what criteria should they bring to the table. My mate has just been offered a one- to - one meeting with Dempster (fair play Hibs) is he in the running?

Who would unite the fans and drive us forward!

FranckSuzy
31-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Big question and if we are in agreement that should be the way forward, whoso we elect and what criteria should they bring to the table. My mate has just been offered a one- to - one meeting with Dempster (fair play Hibs) is he in the running?

1) First and foremost, someone who is democratically and openly voted on to the Board. Not someone who has been approached/courted/sounded out/'tipped the wink' or given 'the nod'.

2) Someone who is not in it for self-promotion or to boost their own business.

3) Oh, and someone who has had no previous (business or personal) dealings with the CEO/Chairman or any of the other Directors.

southsider
31-10-2014, 07:22 PM
1) First and foremost, someone who is democratically and openly voted on to the Board. Not someone who has been approached/courted/sounded out/'tipped the wink' or given 'the nod'.

3) Oh, and someone who has had no previous (business or personal) dealings with the CEO/Chairman or any of the other Directors.
Susan, you would be ideal. How many Hibs board members painted the steps ? Go for it girl.

FranckSuzy
31-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Susan, you would be ideal. How many Hibs board members painted the steps ? Go for it girl.

Thanks K but I suspect I am not Eirish enough :devil:

Hibernia&Alba
31-10-2014, 07:27 PM

Good shout. I've also tried to press gang her into going forward :-p.

FranckSuzy
31-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Good shout. I've also tried to press gang her into going forward :-p.

Thanks M but I would have real trouble with the :lips seal part of the job :greengrin

DaveF
31-10-2014, 07:30 PM

Secret 1 to 1 meetings with Dempster?

Do the 101 other Hibs related fan groups know about this? I can see some Blazers will be ruffled on reading this news.

Anyway, I think you should do it. Change our strip to green tops, white shorts and orange socks and rename the club Edinburgh Celtc for starters.

Pretty Boy
31-10-2014, 07:33 PM
It's going to be a tricky one.

Personally I'm a bit scpetical about the fan on the board thing. A lot of the current board are Hibs fans and how many people would judge them kindly? Anyone who gets the gig will have to have a skill set or business acumen to contribute otherwise it just looks like a box ticking excercise, the flip side of course is that anyone who does have those skills may be dismissed as a suit. Will someone from the HSA be regarded as a 'blazer'? Will an everyday fan with a regular job be able to arrange adeqaute time to attend morning boatd meetings etc? Of course due to confidentiality agreements any fan who joins the board very quickly becomes just a board member, they can't tell us anything.

It's pretty far down the list of priortites for me but the survey results suggest I'm in the minority so good luck to whoever goes for it.

matty_f
31-10-2014, 07:39 PM

Personally I'm a bit scpetical about the fan on the board thing. A lot of the current board are Hibs fans and how many people would judge them kindly? Anyone who gets the gig will have to have a skill set or business acumen to contribute otherwise it just looks like a box ticking excercise, the flip side of course is that anyone who does have those skills may be dismissed as a suit. Will someone from the HSA be regarded as a 'blazer'? Will an everyday fan with a regular job be able to arrange adeqaute time to attend morning boatd meetings etc? Of course due to confidentiality agreements any fan who joins the board very quickly becomes just a board member, they can't tell us anything.

It's pretty far down the list of priortites for me but the survey results suggest I'm in the minority so good luck to whoever goes for it.

It's a thankless task and one that (IMHO) just sets up whoever goes for it for a fall. IMHO, there's already an undertone of scepticism and sniping towards the positions and I have difficulty identifying how the fan on the board differs from the fans on the board that are already there in the shape of the non-exec directors currently in the role, other than there being a remit to have a direct link-in with certain fan groups.

Whoever does it is never going to please everybody, and I give it til the first couple of months before they're accused of being in the Board's pocket/being a patsy/having sold out/all of the above.

Good luck to the people that do go for it, I hope the role's a success and they get an opportunity to be successful in the role without just being people to be shot at by the support.

Jonnyboy
31-10-2014, 07:43 PM

I find your post a bit disingenuous S. Asking who should be the fans on the board, telling us your mate's been invited for a one-to-one and asking whether he's in the running. You know exactly how the board intend to have these reps elected and suggesting your mate might be a 'chosen one' because he's getting a one-to-one undermines that don't you think?

weonlywon6-2
31-10-2014, 07:43 PM
One young fan and one older

Hibernia&Alba
31-10-2014, 07:46 PM

It's a thankless task and one that (IMHO) just sets up whoever goes for it for a fall. IMHO, there's already an undertone of scepticism and sniping towards the positions and I have difficulty identifying how the fan on the board differs from the fans on the board that are already there in the shape of the non-exec directors currently in the role, other than there being a remit to have a direct link-in with certain fan groups.

Whoever does it is never going to please everybody, and I give it til the first couple of months before they're accused of being in the Board's pocket/being a patsy/having sold out/all of the above.

Good luck to the people that do go for it, I hope the role's a success and they get an opportunity to be successful in the role without just being people to be shot at by the support.

Yes, it will be a tough gig in terms of the commitment required from the club and the demands from other fans. The successful candidates will need strong diplomatic and political skills in addition to the other requirements, and will probably need a thick skin too.

matty_f
31-10-2014, 07:47 PM
I find your post a bit disingenuous S. Asking who should be the fans on the board, telling us your mate's been invited for a one-to-one and asking whether he's in the running. You know exactly how the board intend to have these reps elected and suggesting your mate might be a 'chosen one' because he's getting a one-to-one undermines that don't you think?

Good shout. Leeann Dempster made it crystal clear on here that the board were not sounding people out about the positions, and that she was determined that the fan elected board members would be exactly that.

IMHO, the suggestion that someone's being approached for it is yet another attempt to cause unrest amongst the support towards the board, similar to other 'leaked' stories that have been evident on here in recent months/weeks.

Sergey
Passing the 'fit and proper person' test would probably scupper me :cb

matty_f
Passing the 'fit and proper person' test would probably scupper me :cb

:tee hee:

Jonnyboy
31-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Good shout. Leeann Dempster made it crystal clear on here that the board were not sounding people out about the positions, and that she was determined that the fan elected board members would be exactly that.

IMHO, the suggestion that someone's being approached for it is yet another attempt to cause unrest amongst the support towards the board, similar to other 'leaked' stories that have been evident on here in recent months/weeks.

Nail on the head :agree:

1two
31-10-2014, 07:49 PM
I'd like to distance myself from the position on the Board.

It's just not the right time for me unfortunately.

MoscowHibs
31-10-2014, 08:04 PM
I don't know if he is still around, but big Frank Dougan would be first on my list.

southsider
31-10-2014, 08:04 PM
The next Hibs fan to win Euromillions jackpot (and his bank manager)

Andy74
31-10-2014, 08:11 PM

Everyone has been offered a one to one with a current board member if they are interested. It was in the launch stuff.

Representative is also the wrong word and I'm surprised they are using it. They are going to be fan elected but they aren't representing anyone except the company they are to be appointed to.

matty_f
31-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Everyone has been offered a one to one with a current board member if they are interested. It was in the launch stuff.

Representative is also the wrong word and I'm surprised they are using it. They are going to be fan elected but they aren't representing anyone except the company they are to be appointed to.

I think the word "representative" is reflective of the role they're being asked to perform, the duties of which listed things like attending supporter events to feedback to and get input from the various supporter groups. IMHO, that implies a fair degree of representation in some shape or form.

NadeAteMyLunch!
31-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Why are folk getting '1-1 meetings' when there's months to apply still?

matty_f
31-10-2014, 08:15 PM

Why wouldn't they be?

I think the initial press release said that the current non-exec board members were available if anyone wanted to discuss the role further. There's nothing untoward, sinister, or even unusual about that then leading to 1-1 meetings as far as I can see.

Jack
31-10-2014, 08:16 PM

I'm sure I recall LD saying she would be happy to discuss board membership with anyone who asked. It was also stated chats with the current non execs would be arranged to get the benefit of their own personal experiences of being on the board.

leggeto
31-10-2014, 08:23 PM
I don't know if he is still around, but big Frank Dougan would be first on my list.

Think frank lives in the apartments behind the terracing so would be nice and close for him,a well known hibby everyone likes

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-10-2014, 08:24 PM
My mate has just been offered a one- to - one meeting with Dempster (fair play Hibs) is he in the running?

Tell us who your mate is and we might have some idea if he/she is in the running or not. All this cloak and dagger stuff is doing my titties in! :rolleyes:

Brizo
31-10-2014, 08:26 PM
FWIW I think the board will be looking for someone from a business background who they feel they can trust to abide by the need for boardroom collective responsibility and confidentiality. The representatives may be elected by the fans but ill be interested to see the short list. I may of course be totally wrong but I would be surprised if those elected were everyday gadgies or gadgettes

Whoever it is, those two criteria of collective responsibility and confidentiality are going to make it extremely difficult for any fan representatives. In complying with those often necessary constraints it wont be long before they are branded as having sold out. Like a previous poster I also think it will be a thankless task. They will get pestered day in day out and the moment they say they cant comment will get slaughtered on the mbs.

marinello59
31-10-2014, 08:32 PM

Unless you tell us who your mate is how can we tell? The fans will be electing him or her.

snedzuk
31-10-2014, 08:35 PM

Yes he is - sat next to him at Livvy for a wee while - and I agree with the position on the list.

lucky
31-10-2014, 09:35 PM
I would like it to be gender balanced. It's a thankless task for whoever gets the gig

Joe's ice cream
31-10-2014, 09:54 PM
I think that it's going to be incredibly dufucult to achive comprehensive fan representation, I do however applaud the idea and would back it's introduction.
As Hibs fans we share common goals and desires but we are still a diverse lot, I have attended games over the last 30 + years with a regular group of guys, we often have different opinions on many things from players capabilities , managers tactics and general direction the club is being taken in.
What is paramount is that all fans remember that whoever gets elected may not 100% share their individual opinion on all things Hibs related but still retains the best interests of the club at heart.
Whoever does eventually get elected if that is the way he club progress will receive my full and total support - I wish them luck

Beefster
31-10-2014, 10:12 PM

To be honest, there are a number of posters nowadays whose posts seem solely designed to stir up some **** and cause problems for the club.

As I've said before, too many egos, politics and folk measuring themselves up for a blazer IMHO.

Eyrie
31-10-2014, 10:49 PM

You're probably in the minority because you've given some thought to what is involved rather than simply a quick response to a poll. I'd say the bit in bold will be the main reason why this falls flat.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-10-2014, 10:53 PM
1) First and foremost, someone who is democratically and openly voted
on to the Board.

Not someone who has been approached/courted/sounded out/'tipped the wink' or given 'the nod'.

Agreed.

Agreed. Although the first part will be hard to prove and is that not a bit unfair - I'm sure even philanthropists have been criticised for this rightly or wrongly? If someone comes out of nowhere to raise their profile whilst realising benefits are we in effct saying they should remain anonymous and tAke no credit? Honourable perhaps but is it realistic? Suppos it all comes down to what people mean by self promotion. - im sure theres a proportion of folks on Hibs.net would find someone merely putting there name to something reason enough to suggest self promotion - sad but true (and it pains me to write this - in a way folks are cursed damned if they dos a crap job damned for doing a good in)

Surely that depends. Does this really discount everyone from LWT / WT and beyond? To suggest that someone like Gogs, Jack or yourself (for example) is discounted for having dealings with directors / CEO would seem odd at best and foolhardy. Surely if we are to progress we need folks that have experience of dealing with the directors to know the rhetoric / truth and constraints ? To short circuit the process that the uninitiated would go through? I'm not discounting newbieys just asking why those with experience of dealing with the movers and shakers should be stuck off?
Btw I'm not putting myself forward...

Kaff
31-10-2014, 11:17 PM
In the first instance i would back Pat Stanton.
At first this is a hard task, many have said how people will be asking all sorts of divisive questions, but he is one man who could override this imo.
This first appointment is important and Pat has shown he is no lap dog so lets get him on the board, he's done most jobs in football, nobody's fool and every Hibee will listen to him. If he tells me RP has no sway over the current board i will believe him but unfortunately being an out of town supporter and not knowing a lot of other individual names (Dougan et al) then will they get that universal support? Absolutely no offence to any of them but in this role i cant see past Pat.

BroxburnHibee
01-11-2014, 06:12 AM
I find the whole thing a bit pointless.

The only way the fans will get behind this is if it's former players (Stanton/O'Rourke etc.) that get the nod.

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 06:54 AM

Based on your recent posts, I think we can definitely rule you out. :aok:

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 07:10 AM
To be honest, there are a number of posters nowadays whose posts seem solely designed to stir up some **** and cause problems for the club.

As I've said before, too many egos, politics and folk measuring themselves up for a blazer IMHO.

Been obvious since the start of the summer.

We need someone with integrity, who isn't frightened to rock the boat, a man in touch with the club in the 21st Century.

Lucius Apuleius
01-11-2014, 07:32 AM
I would like it to be gender balanced. It's a thankless task for whoever gets the gig

I thought there was only going to be two reps?

Glorious St Pat
01-11-2014, 08:31 AM

John... Not for a minute do I believe my mate is in the running for the post. The meeting with Dempster was a suggestion from her after a series of emails between the two about the state if the club.

HH81
01-11-2014, 08:40 AM

Having a 1-1 means very little given the posts you read on here. Quick message your mate and tell him he is out of luck.

I can confirm during my 1-1 its confirmed my place is confirmed and I have access to all open top buses for cup final wins for life.

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 08:49 AM
John... Not for a minute do I believe my mate is in the running for the post. The meeting with Dempster was a suggestion from her after a series of emails between the two about the state if the club.

See this "mate" - its you isn't it?

matty_f
01-11-2014, 08:53 AM

So why make the suggestion that he is in the running with the question in your opening post? :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 08:56 AM
So why make the suggestion that he is in the running with the question in your opening post? :confused:

:foot:

hibbiedon
01-11-2014, 09:00 AM
There are various reasons that there are 1-1 meetings, they do not mean there is a link to being a board member or such like

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 09:03 AM
What's the dress code for 1:1 meetings? My mates got one coming up, and me and the wife are wondering if we should go up to Slaters to get him a suit. (Fortunately we're the same size).

sahib
01-11-2014, 11:43 AM

Whatever for?

Betty Boop
01-11-2014, 11:54 AM
What's the dress code for 1:1 meetings? My mates got one coming up, and me and the wife are wondering if we should go up to Slaters to get him a suit. (Fortunately we're the same size).

Hope that's no outsize ? :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Hope that's no outsize ? :greengrin

It fits me, eh my mate, in the house as well. Hope that answers your question. Have you got any mates that fancy a seat on the board, a second hand blazer, and free travel to away games, by the way?

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Whatever for?

Women are bigger yaps, and less likely to be bought off with pint of Carlsberg.

Betty Boop
01-11-2014, 01:55 PM
It fits me, eh my mate, in the house as well. Hope that answers your question. Have you got any mates that fancy a seat on the board, a second hand blazer, and free travel to away games, by the way?

Aye just picture them schmoozing with Rod ! :greengrin

lucky
01-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Whatever for?

Because it's the correct thing to do. Whilst I accept more men go to the games surely it's important than the " fans representatives" are reflective of society

Leith Green
01-11-2014, 02:16 PM
What about a couple of casuals? Could have a tear up in board rooms up and down the country... Could be proper naughty!

emerald green
01-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Serious question. Would this be a paid appointment?

HoboHarry
01-11-2014, 02:41 PM
I'm an American based businessman so can I volunteer? Seems like it's fashionable to have Americans on the board. :)

WestEndHibee
01-11-2014, 03:15 PM
I vote for Steve_hfc. Gifs are something that is seriously lacking from the Fishy site. He gets things done.

Golden Bear
01-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Because it's the correct thing to do. Whilst I accept more men go to the games surely it's important than the " fans representatives" are reflective of society

I'd want the best candidates for the job and if that happened to be two women then that would be fine. Gender shouldn't be a factor.

lucky
01-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Can we not have the best man and woman? But how are we going judge who is the best candidates. The reality it's unlikely that the majority of us will know every much about the candidates

Jonnyboy
01-11-2014, 03:58 PM

As I said S, the wording was disingenuous, at least IMO anyway

Pedantic_Hibee
01-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Pedantic Hibee gets my vote. Hero.

Betty Boop
01-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Pedantic Hibee gets my vote. Hero.

Nothin like blawin yer ain trumpet ! :greengrin

Jonnyboy
01-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Nothin like blawin yer ain trumpet ! :greengrin

He's not double jointed for nothing, you know :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
01-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Serious question. Would this be a paid appointment?

No pay involved

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Can we not have the best man and woman? But how are we going judge who is the best candidates. The reality it's unlikely that the majority of us will know every much about the candidates

I can't say for certain, but I'll wager that at least on of them drinks in the Four in Hand.

SteveHFC
01-11-2014, 05:54 PM
I vote for Steve_hfc. Gifs are something that is seriously lacking from the Fishy site. He gets things done.

:hyper:

PatHead
01-11-2014, 06:21 PM
I would like to see someone from HSA or a Supporters Club Chair as they would represent fans, in addition I would like to see a politician - wish Margo was still alive- to keep an eye on any grants/money we would qualify for as our pink friends will be hunting them out.

SunshineOnLeith
01-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Bradley Welsh.

There could be a standing agenda item for board meetings for him to tell everyone what stories he's made up. If he's capable of writing them down maybe they could get a fridge in the boardroom and stick them to the door, along with his fingerpaintings of STF and Rod stealing cash from the Club Shop. All with green stars stuck on them. Rather than a blazer, he could have brightly coloured badge (Leanne would have to help him put it on, of course) that says "#1 Hibs fan".

Meetings would always conclude on a positive note as everyone says "Well done, Bradley" and ruffles his hair, the cheeky scamp.

ronaldo7
01-11-2014, 09:39 PM
I would like to see someone from HSA or a Supporters Club Chair as they would represent fans, in addition I would like to see a politician - wish Margo was still alive- to keep an eye on any grants/money we would qualify for as our pink friends will be hunting them out.

I'm sure our CEO knows more than any politician about the monies involved to get our hands on K. I'd support the view of someone from within the HSA though, with the caveat that their are others out there.:greengrin

silverhibee
01-11-2014, 10:55 PM
No pay involved

Do you get a Porsche or Merc like Rod. :cb

FranckSuzy
01-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Not someone who has been approached/courted/sounded out/'tipped the wink' or given 'the nod'.

Agreed.

Agreed. Although the first part will be hard to prove and is that not a bit unfair - I'm sure even philanthropists have been criticised for this rightly or wrongly? If someone comes out of nowhere to raise their profile whilst realising benefits are we in effct saying they should remain anonymous and tAke no credit? Honourable perhaps but is it realistic? Suppos it all comes down to what people mean by self promotion. - im sure theres a proportion of folks on Hibs.net would find someone merely putting there name to something reason enough to suggest self promotion - sad but true (and it pains me to write this - in a way folks are cursed damned if they dos a crap job damned for doing a good in)

Surely that depends. Does this really discount everyone from LWT / WT and beyond? To suggest that someone like Gogs, Jack or yourself (for example) is discounted for having dealings with directors / CEO would seem odd at best and foolhardy. Surely if we are to progress we need folks that have experience of dealing with the directors to know the rhetoric / truth and constraints ? To short circuit the process that the uninitiated would go through? I'm not discounting newbieys just asking why those with experience of dealing with the movers and shakers should be stuck off?
Btw I'm not putting myself forward...

I have one word in reply to all of your points: cronyism :aok: That is, IMHO, the biggest stumbling block in the whole shooting match.

Loopz
01-11-2014, 11:42 PM
I have one word in reply to all of your points: cronyism :aok: That is, IMHO, the biggest stumbling block in the whole shooting match.
Did you realise that was post count 6-2, 0-7 FS. :greengrin

weonlywon6-2
02-11-2014, 05:28 AM
Kirsty Gallagher and Olivia Wayne !

Would give us all an excuse to attend the agm

RIP
02-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Can I ask a repeat question?

It keeps getting asked on this and other threads and not been answered by anyone yet. It was asked at the consultation evening and blanked there as well.

If 2 'fans on the board' is the solution - what is the problem and who diagnosed it?

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2014, 02:20 PM

It keeps getting asked on this and other threads and not been answered by anyone yet. It was asked at the consultation evening and blanked there as well.

If 2 'fans on the board' is the solution - what is the problem and who diagnosed it?

Purely a tick in the box exercise from the Club IMO

Phil D. Rolls
02-11-2014, 02:24 PM

I can't answer it, but I do understand it. At what point did somebody work out that Hibs mess was due to the fact that there are no fans reps. on the board?

Taking this further, is there an argument for fans reps. on the bench, and in the kitchens at East Mains?

Flippancy aside, I see it as the thin end of he wedge of fan ownership. Said fans reps will be encouraged to take full control by raising enough money to buy the club.

They will, of course, turn to novel ideas like face painting and cake sales - although, some might just go straight in at Level 2 - Money Laundering?

WHUHibs
02-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Further on than that we need to understand what are the powers once joining the board? Do they have equal voting rights? Are the other board members going to embrace this and accept as equals?
How transparent is the process going to be? Already claims that people have been approached I don't know if that's true but it would be good to have an independent voting company to conduct the result so that it will do away with any conspiracy?

I think this excercise is also a tick in the box!

Jack
02-11-2014, 05:35 PM

Is there a problem? There doesn't have to be a problem for something to happen does there?

I didn't think it was the solution to a problem but an idea that it would be good to have someone on the board elected by the support ... that might provide a different dynamic.

marinello59
02-11-2014, 05:38 PM

Personally I think it's a waste of time but there have been plenty of calls on here over the years for a fans rep on the board. I'm not so sure you didn't call for that yourself at one time or something very similar.

Beefster
02-11-2014, 06:44 PM

No offence, Gogs, but lately you've been coming across a bit "I didn't suggest it (this time) so it's a bad idea".

I think the whole exercise is pointless but I can't claim that it hasn't been asked for many, many times by other supporters.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-11-2014, 06:59 PM
No offence, Gogs, but lately you've been coming across a bit "I didn't suggest it (this time) so it's a bad idea".

I think the whole exercise is pointless but I can't claim that it hasn't been asked for many, many times by other supporters.

Not been as close to this as I've not fully emerged from scunnered mode and likely missed a stack of posts and threads. I'm can't therefore comment specifically on your thinking. What I can envisage tho is Gogs journey over the last 3-4 years may just have given him an incling of where problems may lie and what options may not hit the spot. Personally I'm not in favour of 100% fan ownership and wrt fans in the board I think it's not a silver bullet to our ills and whether it would be more than a PR exercise I donno.

weonlywon6-2
02-11-2014, 07:14 PM

Good idea to go to Slaters ,my daughter works there and is a huge Hibby !!

RIP
02-11-2014, 08:25 PM
I was actually looking for genuine answers to my question. There have been no calls or campaigns for elected fans reps from supporters groups. Everyone knows that the whole board and all the full timers in management are massive Hibs fans.

The problems at our club stem not from the absence of individuals at the club who care passionately about their team. Anyone who met Brian, Amanda, Bruce, Russell, Mac, Garry and others can be in no doubt that they bleed green when cut.

No the problems stem from the way the club is owned and run. The autocratic, soul-less, corporate leadership style of Rod Petrie has stifled the board and management, strangled creativity and devalued people.

In campaigning for the recruitment of Leeann Dempster there is hope that she can bring about a revolution in the way the club is run.

I'm still optimistic but at the same time I've already seen several examples of Petrie wielding power and influence that is compromising Leeann. The best way of keeping LD long term is under a different ownership model.

No one is advocating fan ownership. It has to be a properly structured democratic community interest company. Take the best of talent from the Edinburgh business community, combine it with services sourced locally and supporters with a percentage stake. Then you get a club owned and run by the people who care about it the most - the Hibernian Family.

Changing 2 fans on the board for a different 2 fans but still led by a complete failure of a chairman smacks of a desperate attempt to keep Rod in role after the AGM. Now if Rod was planning on resigning and handing over the chairmanship at the AGM - that would be a different story!

Bostonhibby
02-11-2014, 09:12 PM

:agree: I'll be hacked off if this is the process! my mate is a good guy, fanatical Hibby - he has got an Irish sounding surname and if it comes to it I am prepared to do time if Dempster doesn't see him then fast track him through this whole board election thingy. The previously announced democratic (ish) process is obviously just to keep the rest of us distracted whilst the CEO sounds out the right sort of people who are connected to the now legendary "in the know" people.

Bostonhibby
02-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Personally I think it's a waste of time but there have been plenty of calls on here over the years for a fans rep on the board. I'm not so sure you didn't call for that yourself at one time or something very similar.

I see establishing the principle of a rep on the board as a small step for change but for it to be a position with real influence I prefer the idea of say, 25% (or any other meaningful %age) of the shares held by the owners of the football club being sold to the fanbase who could then elect a representative to the board to represent that group of shareholders - the bigger the %age the better.

Even better might be a rights issue that allowed the fans to buy new shares equal to the value/number of STF's holding and the money raised by the issue being spent on the football side. RP would really be able to take his much cherished back seat then.

Phil D. Rolls
03-11-2014, 06:07 AM
I was actually looking for genuine answers to my question. There have been no calls or campaigns for elected fans reps from supporters groups. Everyone knows that the whole board and all the full timers in management are massive Hibs fans.

The problems at our club stem not from the absence of individuals at the club who care passionately about their team. Anyone who met Brian, Amanda, Bruce, Russell, Mac, Garry and others can be in no doubt that they bleed green when cut.

No the problems stem from the way the club is owned and run. The autocratic, soul-less, corporate leadership style of Rod Petrie has stifled the board and management, strangled creativity and devalued people.

In campaigning for the recruitment of Leeann Dempster there is hope that she can bring about a revolution in the way the club is run.

I'm still optimistic but at the same time I've already seen several examples of Petrie wielding power and influence that is compromising Leeann. The best way of keeping LD long term is under a different ownership model.

No one is advocating fan ownership. It has to be a properly structured democratic community interest company. Take the best of talent from the Edinburgh business community, combine it with services sourced locally and supporters with a percentage stake. Then you get a club owned and run by the people who care about it the most - the Hibernian Family.

Changing 2 fans on the board for a different 2 fans but still led by a complete failure of a chairman smacks of a desperate attempt to keep Rod in role after the AGM. Now if Rod was planning on resigning and handing over the chairmanship at the AGM - that would be a different story!

For someone who seeks answers, you seem to have a lot of them already. This reads like a manifesto.

grunt
03-11-2014, 06:36 AM

How have you arrived at this conclusion? What evidence have you based this on? Or do you just not like the man?

can you tell us what these examples are? It would be helpful to know.

No one is advocating fan ownership. It has to be a properly structured democratic community interest company.

This is you championing the CIC model which has never yet been used to run a football club. Is that right? Can you please provide examples of successful CICs in other walks of life so we can see that this is a valid and viable ownership model?

RIP
03-11-2014, 12:42 PM
How have you arrived at this conclusion? What evidence have you based this on? Or do you just not like the man?

That's a bit of a cheap shot. I find Rod earnest, polite in a disarmingly old fashioned way. He has a dry sense of humour and no-one would doubt his dedication to the Hibernian cause and his service to our governing bodies. He's been an exceptionally loyal servant to Hibs since 1991 and deserves praise for the timely development of our impressive infrastructure.

His background is internal audit and administration and I believe that's where his strengths lie. He will be the first to admit that he is not a businessman/entrepreneur who has built a customer or product business from the ground up. The feedback I've had from managers and directors who have worked under him suggest challenges around vision, leadership, empowerment and communication. An old world chairman style suited to a bygone era. I'm hopeful that Leeann can bring a more modern approach to management through the CEO role. She herself has stated that she wants to make Hibs "less corporate" and "more like a football club". Her diagnosis - not mine

Can you tell us what these examples are? ?
The signs are that the 'fans of the board' initiative was designed as part of the 'Winds of Change' identified by Rod and the Hibs Board last winter. Leeann was brought in to implement these changes and should be given absolute authority to do just that. I don't think tapping up fans reps behind Leeann's back does her any favours. She has disassociated herself from this action and I believe her 100% that this was not carried out with her sanction.

I'm also disappointed by his initial reaction to the survey carried out by the Hibs Supporters Association. He took it upon himself to demand that Regan and Doncaster issue a reprimand to Supporters Direct for responding to a valid request for assistance. Leeann welcomed the survey as a valuable input to the period of consultation. She understands the need to build bridges with the support rather than consider them a threat to board autonomy.

LWT had the potential to be a genuine working arrangement between fans and the board similar to the successful partnership working practices between trade unions and management in industry. Speaking purely personally I don't believe that Rod bought into this approach. Too often we were patronised and treated with a lack of respect. Others are welcome to disagree.

This is you championing the CIC model which has never yet been used to run a football club. Is that right? Can you please provide examples of successful CICs in other walks of life so we can see that this is a valid and viable ownership model?

Fair comment sir. There are only a few smaller clubs currently adopting this model (Stirling, Dunfermline) with others (Hearts, St Mirren, Motherwell) in the pipeline. However the withdrawal of bank debt from Scottish Football and the losses faced by corporate owners should hasten all stakeholders in the Scottish game to look at more sustainable ownership models. One look at the scenarios played out at Tynescastle, Ibrox, Livingston, Killie and Motherwell should compel us not to wait until the smoking gun of administration before having the conversation. Community right to buy legislation may be extended to football clubs and supporters trusts in the lifetime of the current Scottish Parliament.

The Scottish Greens have written a good paper on this topic - I'll see if I can dig it out.

SunshineOnLeith
03-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Hibs are one of the few Scottish clubs with decent access to bank finance, due to the presence of Sir Tom. Not for a second suggesting we take on a whole bunch of bank loans but the argument that banks have stopped lending to (most) football clubs is an argument in favour of the current ownership model rather than an argument for change, in my opinion.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-11-2014, 08:39 PM
my daughter works there and is a huge Hibby !!

Thats a bit harsh, maybe she's just big boned! ;-)

blackpoolhibs
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Hibs are one of the few Scottish clubs with decent access to bank finance, due to the presence of Sir Tom. Not for a second suggesting we take on a whole bunch of bank loans but the argument that banks have stopped lending to (most) football clubs is an argument in favour of the current ownership model rather than an argument for change, in my opinion.

Hibs only seem to borrow money from the bank to fund infrastructure, so unless we are building something else then that facility will not be needed i'd have thought?

silverhibee
03-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Hibs only seem to borrow money from the bank to fund infrastructure, so unless we are building something else then that facility will not be needed i'd have thought?

We could try building a winning team.

ronaldo7
03-11-2014, 09:19 PM

Watch this space:wink:

Jack
03-11-2014, 09:22 PM

A helipad has been mentioned ... just in case ;-)

Bostonhibby
03-11-2014, 09:24 PM

Helipads don't come cheap and if we are going to do this appointing a fans mate to the board thing properly its an ideal opportunity to build said mate a large office like Rods?