PDA

View Full Version : What is the missing ingredient?

Spike Mandela
30-10-2014, 04:11 PM
With the current consensus appearing to suggest that Alan Stubbs has Hibs playing well but just not getting results over the line what is the ingredient(s) that are missing in our team that will propel us to potential promotion candidates and an SPL team in waiting?

When I think back to the last Hibs team that was in the lower division i would say it's major strength was it's mental toughness and character exemplified in players like Hughes, Mixu and of course Suazee. This allied with the flair of the likes of Latapy made it a heady mix.

The current team certainly has one or two with flair McGeoch, Allen and Kennedy spring to mind but might be lacking in the character and mental strength department. Or, is it something else?

Nando™
30-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Leigh Griffiths.

Squealing pig
30-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Goalkeeper for a start , and maybe stronger mentality subs to bring on.

The_Exile
30-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Creativity, we seem to get a bit lost in the final third at times.

S4uzee
30-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Leigh Griffiths.
:agree: Leigh would be even better than he was before in this current team. Allan linking up with Griffiths :hyper:

keep the faith
30-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Nothing. The last piece of the rebuild is confidence and that's improving week by week. I still reckon we will be the best side in the league come Christmas.
A striker in January would be nice though! 😃

NorthNorfolkHFC
30-10-2014, 04:30 PM
:agree: Leigh would be even better than he was before in this current team. Allan linking up with Griffiths :hyper:

I'll probably get shot down here but i dont fancy him back.

Its only a matter of opinion as i dont know him personally but i just dont think he'd fit.

He may directly replace Cummings but that will affect his development and i think Cummings works harder for the team. I like the feeling around the club just now and i wouldnt want anything to disrupt that.

The sooner we stop trying to cling onto past legends the sooner we can move forward as a club and start making guys like Malonga, Allan and Cummings OUR legends!!!

The Green Goblin
30-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Farid...

cad
30-10-2014, 04:48 PM
The finance of the thousands that have bolted would make Stubbs job a hell of a lot easier.

jacomo
30-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Farid...

:agree:

Obviously LG would be great, but Farid would probably be in double figures by now...

And wee Claros to hold it together in the middle of the park.

Obviously more cover in defence would be nice.

B.H.F.C
30-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Clean sheets

greenlex
30-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Luck.

R11Loaded
30-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Claros.

Imagine we still had Claros to hold the team together whilst letting Allan run rampant.

Or Farid's passion alongside Malonga's goals would be clinical.

Ps why did hearts drop Osman Sow (pen) at the weekend? The new boy Osman Sow was shocking!

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

ekhibee
30-10-2014, 05:15 PM
I was watching Stubbs interview after the game and he was rightly expressing concern about 2 of the goals we conceded. IMO we need a goalie. Oxley is alright, no more than that, he makes quite a lot of mistakes but seems to get away with most of them. The rest of them seem to have improved under Stubbs, in the last month or so anyway. TBH most of the time it's not the ability of the players that should be questioned, it's their mentality. At the moment there's a definite improvement, long may it continue.

weonlywon6-2
30-10-2014, 05:16 PM
I think it is all coming together ,just taking that wee bit of time

Golden Bear
30-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Just a bit more composure, guile and movement in and around the opposition penalty box.

weonlywon6-2
30-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Deansy
30-10-2014, 06:33 PM
A captain who's loud, constantly cajoling, urging the players on - a Scott Brown-type (if it existed) would be ideal !

lord bunberry
30-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Belief that we are good enough

weonlywon6-2
30-10-2014, 07:37 PM

I think this is coming together.Any hibs player last night knows how much the fans enjoyed the game so that must give them a huge boost,if we could only stop the idiots from abusing our own players wed be laughing

PathheadHibby
30-10-2014, 08:22 PM

Couldn't agree more..... The old firm and the really clarty folk have that arrogance ...... So should we..... As shankly said yer nothing without it

Fergos
30-10-2014, 08:28 PM
A midfield leader, captain style enforcer with experience to get us over the line when the chips are down or going against us.

For me we lack a bit of nous, experienced old head who can lead and put a firm...but fair challenge in.

GGTTH

Swedish hibee
30-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Maybe we sign the wee lassie who was in goals at half time last night.. Could have done with her for the penalties!!! :wink:

bigwheel
31-10-2014, 06:54 AM
Maybe we sign the wee lassie who was in goals at half time last night.. Could have done with her for the penalties!!! :wink:

Ha! She was very impressive - and in all the positives from Wednesday - oxley was indeed bowfin at saving penalties ! 😊

heretoday
31-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Ha! She was very impressive - and in all the positives from Wednesday - oxley was indeed bowfin at saving penalties ! 😊

He might have been better taking one!

snooky
31-10-2014, 08:22 AM
An intelligent and nippy centre back/sweeper :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
31-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Nothing. The last piece of the rebuild is confidence and that's improving week by week. I still reckon we will be the best side in the league come Christmas.
A striker in January would be nice though! 

Great post.

Hibby Kay-Yay
31-10-2014, 08:33 AM
A Sauzee/Hughes in defence, a Latapy in midfield and a Griffiths up front. Those types of players/attributes would see us walk this league, even being so far behind the leaders at this stage.

Scooter
31-10-2014, 08:49 AM
I think we are a striker short. Someone that's nippy and pacy. Also need another defender preferably a centre half

HIBEETILLIDIE
31-10-2014, 09:43 AM
I think we are a striker short. Someone that's nippy and pacy. Also need another defender preferably a centre half

General improvement in fitness levels, really showed in extra time, Dundee Utd were still full of running, only Stevenson was still up to speed, the rest were beginning to tire last 15 of normal time, as was the case against the gunts, if we we were a bit fitter, I am sure we would be able to continue to press up the pitch and close people down, as we seem to do for the first 75 mins.
Hopefully that will improve.

rcarter1
31-10-2014, 12:22 PM
A bit of luck would help.

The first team is about perfect in terms of balance and rising confidence.

Fringe players need to join in on the buzz factor.

Farid, Forster to return, both offer excellent options.

and the icing on the cake would be for Leigh to join us for the New Year push.

Playoffs are the most likely option for us. Nonetheless if we can go into these high in confidence, and with a competitive squad, theres no reason we can't make a real go at promotion this year.

Eyrie
31-10-2014, 12:30 PM
A defensive organiser - either at centre half or sitting just in front of the back four.

patlowe
31-10-2014, 01:36 PM
I reckon we are still short a quality right-sided centre half, a Claros and a slightly more savvy/experienced partner for Malonga (although I have high hopes for Cummings and Farid will return at some stage).

Before people start moaning about going over old ground, in an ideal world, a midfield including Allan and McGeoch, with Claros mopping up and recycling, would take some beating IMO.

31-10-2014, 01:43 PM

Absolutely. If you compare us to last season we are miles better, finally starting to play with a bit of heart and fight. We all knew it was gonna be a long process to turn things around but it's very encouraging to see the changes so far. Still not perfect, i feel we are still loosing too many sloppy goals at the back but like I say, streets ahead of where we were last season!

Well done Stubbsy and the boys, keep it up! :flag:

ancient hibee
31-10-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm not 100% sold on the goalie.Doesn't organise defence and not wonderful on crosses-like their 3rd goal.

villager
31-10-2014, 05:32 PM
A defensive organiser - either at centre half or sitting just in front of the back four.

yep, exactly this type of player at centre half would have turned a few our recent draws into wins.

Sir David Gray
31-10-2014, 05:35 PM
A bit more depth to the squad would help.

Our first choice team is now looking quite good but if any of them get suspended or injured then we'll be struggling.

Smartie
31-10-2014, 05:46 PM
A bit of luck, a bit of time and a bit more patience. I think we're about to "take off" but I wouldn't rule out the odd questionable result along the way.

We're nearly there but we are still a work in progress.

Further problems will become more obvious as time goes by and the return of a few missing fans should improve our finances enough in order to allow us to address them in the January window. Stubbs has looked to have an eye for a player so far, that's for sure.

I'd like to see a few fringe players push for inclusion and it should be easier for Harris, Stanton, Kennedy et al to come into a good team and perform than come into one that was toiling like last season and at the start of this one. Craig is nowhere near as bad as some make out and it would be good to see him finally show us what I think he is capable of.

The defence still has it's moments and I wonder if we have enough up front at times, but as was mentioned elsewhere Farid and Forster would make a difference in these areas.

Things definitely looking up though.

matty_f
31-10-2014, 08:45 PM
It's definitely been the belief that has been missing, IMHO. Not just amongst the players, but in the support as well.

There appeared to be a bit of a shift following the The Rangers win, however the following two games probably set us back a bit more than they should have. The last 3 games will have given all of us some real confidence in the side, and I think it's plain to see that the side is improving game by game - something that again will bring belief to the team.

If they see what they're working on week in/week out is starting to pay dividends then it gives them the belief in the manager and the coaching staff, and they take that onto the pitch, and we start winning games with good performances.

We had a few players needing to get up to fitness, and they're getting there now.

Good times are in store, I genuinely believe that. My biggest hope is that we as a support can finally put last season behind us and start to really get behind this season's side and manager.

Jonnyboy
31-10-2014, 08:45 PM
It's definitely been the belief that has been missing, IMHO. Not just amongst the players, but in the support as well.

There appeared to be a bit of a shift following the The Rangers win, however the following two games probably set us back a bit more than they should have. The last 3 games will have given all of us some real confidence in the side, and I think it's plain to see that the side is improving game by game - something that again will bring belief to the team.

If they see what they're working on week in/week out is starting to pay dividends then it gives them the belief in the manager and the coaching staff, and they take that onto the pitch, and we start winning games with good performances.

We had a few players needing to get up to fitness, and they're getting there now.

Good times are in store, I genuinely believe that. My biggest hope is that we as a support can finally put last season behind us and start to really get behind this season's side and manager.

:top marks

snooky
01-11-2014, 11:41 AM
[I]

Signing QUALITY players like Allan, Dylan and Gray have made all the difference.
'Average' players clearly can raise their game playing with better players.
For example, look at the change in Lewis's performances in the past month or so.
The hard part will be holding on to these crème de la crèmes.