PDA

View Full Version : Our Defence

HappyAsHellas
30-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Read on a few posts about how tragic our defending was last night, although I didn't see it that way entirely. United have one of the paciest attacks in the country and always looked threatening every time they broke with the ball. This was certainly the best attacking team we have come up against, and in that respect I didn't think we fared too badly. Their third goal from a corner was disappointing as both Fontaine and Hanlon were covering the big guys who both made runs to the near post. No one else moved and the wee guy who was standing beyond the far post nipped into the middle for an unchallenged header. One thing I was slightly worried about was Hanlon falling on the turn again. He did it on Sunday to let in El Hasnaetalent and was rescued by Oxley, and last night he did the same and Fontaine saved the day with a great last ditch tackle.
All in all, United are way ahead of anyone we are coming up against in this league and I'm sure our coaching staff will be pointing out where we have went wrong. Forster returning will supply that extra bit of cohesion we maybe lacked a bit last night, but all in all I'm pretty happy with the way things are going. Onward and upward.

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 09:06 AM
We lost poor goals, but United are a very good footballing side, and I think the back four all had a good night overall. Was a big blow losing Forster just as we'd settled nicely into the 3-5-2, but I've been very happy with the defence in the last two games.

Ozyhibby
30-10-2014, 09:23 AM
I don't see how anyone could say that the defence had a good night. All three goals were defensive howlers.
Might just be down to the fact both centre half are left sided? Who knows but it was not good.

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 09:39 AM
I don't see how anyone could say that the defence had a good night. All three goals were defensive howlers.
Might just be down to the fact both centre half are left sided? Who knows but it was not good.

All four of them played well. Yes we lost three bad goals, but we were up against an excellent team who attacked us with pace and skill for large portions of the 120 minutes. Utd would have scored more than three against a lot of other teams last night.

Last night's game was one of the best I've ever seen, and there was no shame in conceding three - as preventable as the goals were.

Hibernia&Alba
30-10-2014, 09:41 AM
3-3 is much preferable to 0-0. I'll take it.

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-10-2014, 09:58 AM
All four of them played well. Yes we lost three bad goals, but we were up against an excellent team who attacked us with pace and skill for large portions of the 120 minutes. Utd would have scored more than three against a lot of other teams last night.

Last night's game was one of the best I've ever seen, and there was no shame in conceding three - as preventable as the goals were.I agree with Ozzyhibby - Hanlon, Fontaine and Oxley were all over the place most of the game, although again the Utd players were getting lots of space to ping the ball around in their wee triangles around our 18 yard box. I think our defence were trying to play the offside trap and confusing themselves when Utd were zipping the ball about in attack.

Compare that to our goals which we had to work hard to get.

cleanyman
30-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Defensively I thought that was as poor as it can get. DU played a lot of youth last night and all three goals we conceded looked awful. Another thing I want to look at is The OX on penalty kicks? Big man needs to get practicing.

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 10:15 AM
You make a trade off in games like last night - if you want to play as openly and offensively as we did, you quite simply are going to leave space for the opposition to get to you as well; especially when playing one of the best teams from the league above you.

Loads of times on here people have complained (often correctly) that have been set up too defensively at home - well when you go out to try to do what we did last night, you have to expect trouble at the other end.

It was exhilarating to watch, superb entertainment. Are people seriously suggesting that attacking like we did, scoring three goals AND keeping a clean sheet were a realistic possibility? The only way we were going to beat Utd last night was by outscoring them - and we very nearly did that.

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Defensively I thought that was as poor as it can get. DU played a lot of youth last night and all three goals we conceded looked awful. Another thing I want to look at is The OX on penalty kicks? Big man needs to get practicing.

Really? Have you seen much of Hibs in the last year?

Gmack7
30-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I'd like to see the 3rd again as it looked like one of the smallest in there team had stoop down to score
The defence did look shaky imo

Winston Ingram
30-10-2014, 10:23 AM
I'd like to see the 3rd again as it looked like one of the smallest in there team had stoop down to score
The defence did look shaky imo

He did. The boy's about the same height as Warwick Davis and got a free header 6 yards out. Nobody near him.

I'm still trying to workout what Fontaine was up to with the 1st:confused:

HappyAsHellas
30-10-2014, 10:24 AM

Were you at the Hamilton game?
I'm sure Macnamara will be asking how Malonga got in, how Cummings got a free header at the near post and why they backed off Kennedy. In short, it's hard for a defence to look good when under constant threat, but that's the beauty of attacking, attractive football. Yes we made some errors, but I think we're on the right track and have faith that we can still improve. For me, they all get pass marks as the commitment was there for all to see.

marinello59
30-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Virtually every single goal scored can be put down to defensive mistakes if you are of that mindset.

cleanyman
30-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Really? Have you seen much of Hibs in the last year?

Yes.

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Yes.

And you haven't seen a worse defensive performance than last night?

Blaster
30-10-2014, 11:16 AM
You make a trade off in games like last night - if you want to play as openly and offensively as we did, you quite simply are going to leave space for the opposition to get to you as well; especially when playing one of the best teams from the league above you.

Loads of times on here people have complained (often correctly) that have been set up too defensively at home - well when you go out to try to do what we did last night, you have to expect trouble at the other end.

It was exhilarating to watch, superb entertainment. Are people seriously suggesting that attacking like we did, scoring three goals AND keeping a clean sheet were a realistic possibility? The only way we were going to beat Utd last night was by outscoring them - and we very nearly did that.

Spot on stevie. Give me that anytime over a boring nil nil. That tactic will work for us most games in the league and nearly worked last night

Billychaotic182
30-10-2014, 11:22 AM
I think Oxley is just as much to blame as the two defenders. Yes we were playing a good attacking side but we have to do better. We can't expect to win if we gift other teams goals. Saying that over all I think we were a much better side and we are playing some lovely football

IanM
30-10-2014, 11:25 AM
every goal in every game is avoidable.. united shouldn't have even had the corner for the third due to the clear handball the ref somehow didn't spot.

stop nitpicking, for the whole 120 minutes the team were superb, just leave it at that and look forward to Cowdenbeath and let Stubbs and the team pick up and work on any mistakes

Viva_Palmeiras
30-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Last night's game was one of the best I've ever seen, and there was no shame in conceding three - as preventable as the goals were.

Ive been waiting to read that. Robbo said it was the best game hed ever witnessed! I was listening on the radio as I was looking after the kids. So was it really that good?

MWHIBBIES
30-10-2014, 11:26 AM
The problem isn't the personnel, more how they were set up. They played far too flat vs a pacey attack and because of this United got in behind at will in the first half. Wasn't the case second half so hopefully Stubbs saw this and changed something.

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2014, 11:34 AM
The opposition last night were a cut above anything we have played since January, never mind this season. From what I've seen of the other clubs in our league I think Utd would have walked away with a comfortable win in normal time against any of them.

Yes we made mistakes last night, but the pace and movement of Utd is something we haven't had to face for some time and overall we handled them pretty well. The only goal I would agree was utterly avoidable was the header.

I would also say that the goal we lost to the Yams was down to the midfield if anybody was to blame for it.

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Ive been waiting to read that. Robbo said it was the best game hed ever witnessed! I was listening on the radio as I was looking after the kids. So was it really that good?

It really was. In terms of two teams going at each other it's probably the best I've seen, yes - the only other I can think of along the same lines was the 2-2 draw with Motherwell in 1994 when Michael O'Neill scored THAT goal.

I've obviously enjoyed bigger/more important games more when we've won them, but it was an excellent football match. Six goals, 39 goal attempts and two pacy, skillful teams going toe to toe. Even the penalties were excellent, with the Cerzniak's crucial save being superb.

Blaster
30-10-2014, 11:41 AM

I thought so. Brilliant attacking football from both sides, played on the deck, young players running at defenders, so much to be positive about. Not seen us play like that since the Mowbray days

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2014, 12:24 PM
I'd say last nights game was the best i have ever listened to. :greengrin

overdrive
30-10-2014, 12:37 PM
I think Oxley is just as much to blame as the two defenders. Yes we were playing a good attacking side but we have to do better. We can't expect to win if we gift other teams goals. Saying that over all I think we were a much better side and we are playing some lovely football

I would agree. He's not confident at cross balls I don't think.

Keith_M
30-10-2014, 12:38 PM
As good as the game was, I think people must be getting a bit carried away if they consider it the 'best game they've ever seen'.

Maybe they meant it's the best they've seen for quite a while.

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 12:49 PM
As good as the game was, I think people must be getting a bit carried away if they consider it the 'best game they've ever seen'.

Maybe they meant it's the best they've seen for quite a while.

I said it was one of the best games I've ever seen, and it absolutely was.

PiemanP
30-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Think we need a defensive midfielder. There is a big gap from our midfield to the defence, which leaves the defence very exposed, especially to teams which have players that will run at you. Robertson or Craig adon't seem to be the answer to this.

Lots of errors last night, will be good to get Forster back as we are threadbare with no first team back up CHs.

Heedersnvolleys
30-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Think we need a defensive midfielder. There is a big gap from our midfield to the defence, which leaves the defence very exposed, especially to teams which have players that will run at you. Robertson or Craig adon't seem to be the answer to this.

Lots of errors last night, will be good to get Forster back as we are threadbare with no first team back up CHs.
Robertson had another good game last night so I don't know where you are getting that from??:confused:

AlbertK86
30-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Think we need a defensive midfielder. There is a big gap from our midfield to the defence, which leaves the defence very exposed, especially to teams which have players that will run at you. Robertson or Craig adon't seem to be the answer to this. Lots of errors last night, will be good to get Forster back as we are threadbare with no first team back up CHs.

Somebody like Claros would've the perfect foil for Allan and mcgeogh

emerald green
30-10-2014, 05:55 PM
It was a very good game last night. Not the best I've ever seen, but I was fortunate to watch Turnbull's Tornadoes. Great entertainment. Both sides playing open attacking football, and both teams and coaches deserve credit for that.

Unlike most teams who come to ER who just stick 10 men behind the ball and hope we make a mistake and they grab a goal. F****** boring, and killing the game.

Now the negative bit I'm afraid. I just thought it was very disappointing to twice equalise last night only to go behind again both times practically straight away. As a team, we need to do better and defend better than that and get a bit more street wise.

lord bunberry
30-10-2014, 06:10 PM
I don't think it helps that we have two left footed centre halfs. Hanlon got caught out a couple of times against hearts because of this.

PiemanP
30-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Robertson had another good game last night so I don't know where you are getting that from??:confused:

He did indeed and has played well the last few games. He's not a defensive midfielder in my book though, doesn't give the back four the protection needed and break up play well enough. That's not a criticism, it's just don't think it's his game.

Poster below mentioned claros and that's just the type we need and I think a proper defensive midfielder we'd stop a lot of the cheap goals we've been conceding.