PDA

View Full Version : Stay away fans

macd123
30-10-2014, 12:08 AM
I know you have reason to not come after the last couple of years but come back! You are missing some really good stuff.

gaz1875
30-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Here here...if we can just start winning the fans will return, some of the play over the last few games has been the best in a very very long time.

:gwa:

macd123
30-10-2014, 12:28 AM
Here here...if we can just start winning the fans will return, some of the play over the last few games has been the best in a very very long time.

:gwa:

Definitely. Ironic we got more supporters watching the worst football in the club s history under butcher than we do now under stubbs. Allan and mcgeouch alone are worth the admission fee.

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2014, 01:03 AM
This is slowly turning into a team worth watching, we were very good on Sunday ...... tonight we were better. If this keeps up you will certainly not be able to complain about not getting value for money.

We could, if things keep on this course, have a team worthy of our support.

Hermit Crab
30-10-2014, 01:35 AM
This is slowly turning into a team worth watching, we were very good on Sunday ...... tonight we were better. If this keeps up you will certainly not be able to complain about not getting value for money.

We could, if things keep on this course, have a team worthy of our support.

I couldn't go tonight as I was working but kept an eye on the match updates thread. You say we were better tonight but the 3 goals were defensive howlers according to the match updates thread.

While I agree we were better on Sunday than we have been, we need to stop shipping the goals and actually close games out and get wins. I agree about trying to get fans back but until we are winning games and putting points on the board and challenging the top two in the league it's going to be difficult to convince them.

Its a case of once bitten twice with some fans I'm afraid.

Wilson
30-10-2014, 01:42 AM
I couldn't go tonight as I was working but kept an eye on the match updates thread. You say we were better tonight but the 3 goals were defensive howlers according to the match updates thread.

While I agree we were better on Sunday than we have been, we need to stop shipping the goals and actually close games out and get wins. I agree about trying to get fans back but until we are winning games and putting points on the board and challenging the top two in the league it's going to be difficult to convince them.

You are over analysing things. We weren't expected to win this game but we gave it our all. Right to the bitter end. This is on the back of other positive performances. We are building something good here. It is time to back the team.

Hermit Crab
30-10-2014, 02:00 AM
You are over analysing things. We weren't expected to win this game but we gave it our all. Right to the bitter end. This is on the back of other positive performances. We are building something good here. It is time to back the team.

I do. I've got a season ticket and travel to most away games.

...WentToMowAnSPL
30-10-2014, 02:06 AM
I've got a season ticket but working in Houston! Kept up to date on Twitter and respect to the team and support tonight #GGTTH

Swedish hibee
30-10-2014, 02:15 AM

Well the glory hunters who only come out at cup finals are missing out.

GreenLake
30-10-2014, 02:35 AM
To not go and see Hibs at the next home game would be similar to ignoring Jessica Alba inviting you to come into her room.

kaimendhibs
30-10-2014, 05:12 AM

G, hibs were fantastic tonight! Ok, some bad defending but remember United are filled with pace and flair. Our defence stood up really well for the most part and all of extra time. Best I have seen for a long, long while and the fans responded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albanian Hibs
30-10-2014, 05:30 AM
I wasnt there because I am off on my hols this morning. Sounded like a cracker though.

weonlywon6-2
30-10-2014, 07:00 AM
I know you have reason to not come after the last couple of years but come back! You are missing some really good stuff.

Very true,league games will not be as open as last night but if the team puts in that effort every week the fans will come back

Oscar T Grouch
30-10-2014, 08:38 AM
I'm afraid the fans I know that are staying away, are doing so because of Petrie and have vowed not to return until he's away. Personally I cannae help myself and end up going no matter how we play. So last night was like a wee bonus for me. Getting the feeling I used to get at ER, buzzing while walking along Hawkhill Ave after the game. if Petrie goes a lot of people would come back its that simple.

Wilson
30-10-2014, 09:31 AM
To not go and see Hibs at the next home game shift be similar to ignoring Jessica Alba inviting you to come into her room.

I'm not falling for that again. Done my back in last time helping her shift that damned dressing table!

Kato
30-10-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm not falling for that again. Done my back in last time helping her shift that damned dressing table!

You too!!

She's a wee rascal.

khib70
30-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Well the glory hunters who only come out at cup finals are missing out.
I think you'll find that those who absented themselves from last night's fantastic performance would be banging on the ticket office door this morning if we'd made it to the semis.And filling up the forum with complaints about not enough tickets on general sale.

Their loss

FranckSuzy
30-10-2014, 10:44 AM
I think you'll find that those who absented themselves from last night's fantastic performance would be banging on the ticket office door this morning if we'd made it to the semis.And filling up the forum with complaints about not enough tickets on general sale.

Their loss

Not all of them. I was working until 8pm last night and am a ST holder.

khib70
30-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Didn't mean people in your situation mate. Sorry.:greengrin

FranckSuzy
30-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Didn't mean people in your situation mate. Sorry.:greengrin

Let you off then :greengrin

truehibernian
30-10-2014, 10:50 AM
I think fans have to get behind the positivity the last few games have been generating and encourage fans who haven't attended rather than go down the cynical route............ships sailing in the same direction and all that.

It goes without saying the fans have had a few right kicks in the teeth in recent years.......but the core fanbase is still there and we just need to spread the word that this side is evolving into a very watchable and more importantly, very cohesive and united team. You'll definitely get commitment, you'll get some skill thrown in, you'll see goals, and you'll now see good young talent starting to gain belief. Ingredients are all there - I'll keep saying though, for every game like last night, along the way, due to inconsistency, there will be an Alloa away. Our aim will be to be playing this brand and kind of football at the business end of the season when things get interesting.

On last night's evidence, no one will want to play Hibs in any sort of play-off or cup tie. We might even win the league, who knows :greengrin:aok:

Andy74
30-10-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm afraid the fans I know that are staying away, are doing so because of Petrie and have vowed not to return until he's away. Personally I cannae help myself and end up going no matter how we play. So last night was like a wee bonus for me. Getting the feeling I used to get at ER, buzzing while walking along Hawkhill Ave after the game. if Petrie goes a lot of people would come back its that simple.

I'd like Petrie gone but to not go to matches because of it is pathetic. I don't actually believe there are many people who genuinely do this.

Oscar T Grouch
30-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I'd like Petrie gone but to not go to matches because of it is pathetic. I don't actually believe there are many people who genuinely do this.

I genuinely do, the feeling of antipathy toward Petrie is palpable and I know many who feel this way. I think this will diminish when we start winning consistently, which is going to happen. Football fans are fickle and change their mind easily, remember what this board was like a few weeks ago :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2014, 11:25 AM
I know 2 people who wont be back while he is at the club, and both dont come on here or manage to see much of the games other than the live ones on telly. In fact one of them is is Australia at the moment and the other went out on Sunday with his wife and Grandchild rather than watch the derby.

They won't be back and are not missing it at all, its become a lot easier for them to not go to games now.

jacomo
30-10-2014, 11:28 AM

:agree:

He's been the dominant figure over the past decade but the club is bigger than any individual. Fans should continue to voice their opinions on his continued involvement but the team needs as much support as possible.

HappyAsHellas
30-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Never understand the Petrie stuff - he's STF's man so surely their anger should be along the lines of "I wont return while he's the owner".
I don't support Petrie, I don't support Farmer, I support Hibs and I'll be buggered if I'm going to stop watching them because of some suit. If people want to watch a very good, entertaining Hibs team then they should go to the games and stop the pathetic excuses.
When the football's rank, it is hard to motivate yourself, but that excuse, thankfully has sailed.

mim
30-10-2014, 12:00 PM
What was the last game we won at ER? :stirrer::fishin:

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2014, 12:03 PM

The goal where Oxley saved at the forwards feet was unfortunate, the ball broke for Utd and Stevenson was unlucky that his challenge didn't clear the ball. The 3rd Utd goal could have been defended better, but once again Stevenson was on the line and a bit unlucky that he couldn't header it away.

Nobody is pretending Hibs are perfect, but when we are in possession of the ball we are playing some really good stuff from the back out. It is no surprise that our best performances are coming in games where the opposition are prepared to come out and play, the trick now is to find a way around packed defences. The spirit in the team at the moment is obvious though and the last fortnight has been very, very encouraging.

As for the Petrie situation .... Nobody wants him gone more than me, hell I even came up from the Borders to attend the protest, but I support Hibs and can think of better ways to protest than not going to games.

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2014, 12:09 PM

Yeh ... but luck, or lack of it, has been a factor. A pen crossing the line and not given and a 35 yard wonder strike turned two wins into draws. Last night it was penalties .. a lottery which we lost.

CraigHibee
30-10-2014, 12:12 PM

i'll 2nd that! get your ***** back, we are playing some good football at the moment and heading in the right direction IMO :aok:

lord bunberry
30-10-2014, 12:35 PM

I was working as well. I can't make midweek games, which is why I don't get the cup top up.

bigwheel
30-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Never understand the Petrie stuff - he's STF's man so surely their anger should be along the lines of "I wont return while he's the owner".
I don't support Petrie, I don't support Farmer, I support Hibs and I'll be buggered if I'm going to stop watching them because of some suit. If people want to watch a very good, entertaining Hibs team then they should go to the games and stop the pathetic excuses.
When the football's rank, it is hard to motivate yourself, but that excuse, thankfully has sailed.

Perfect summary - great post

silverhibee
30-10-2014, 01:54 PM

And this is why fans won't rush back, we have played some great football in the last couple of games at ER but only have a point to show for it and knocked out the cup in last nights game, penalties are a cruel way to go out a competition but the players should take heart from the performance they all put in last night and take it in to the next game, but only winning games at home will bring the fans back, think i heard the attendance being as 8000+ for last night, the Arabs must have brought 2000 fans down with them and were so quiet compared to the backing we gave Hibs last night, which would mean that on just over 6000+ hibs fans turned up for last night's game, need to start turning these good performances in to wins at ER and hopefully fans will start to come back and give the players the support.

Steve20
30-10-2014, 02:01 PM

I can assure you there is and quite a few as well.

There's other reasons though why people aren't attending. It's good that the team is looking better, but I don't see people coming back in their numbers while we're so far behind the top of the league. Promotion is a must this season and since the playoffs are pretty much a certainty (no chance of the league but no chance of finishing below 4th), we're really just playing out time until next April/May when the playoffs come round. So I'd expect the non attenders will wait for those games.

khib70
30-10-2014, 02:50 PM

There's other reasons though why people aren't attending. It's good that the team is looking better, but I don't see people coming back in their numbers while we're so far behind the top of the league. Promotion is a must this season and since the playoffs are pretty much a certainty (no chance of the league but no chance of finishing below 4th), we're really just playing out time until next April/May when the playoffs come round. So I'd expect the non attenders will wait for those games.
So some people have progressed past "sing when we're winning" to "only show up when we're winning". The concept of "supporting a football team" never used to include "only on condition they're doing well". As for the Petrie boycotters, I agree with Andy. Pathetic reason for staying away. As I said before on here, when any success does appear, these people will trample those of us who've continued to attend and support underfoot to get their hands on tickets.

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2014, 03:05 PM
So some people have progressed past "sing when we're winning" to "only show up when we're winning". The concept of "supporting a football team" never used to include "only on condition they're doing well". As for the Petrie boycotters, I agree with Andy. Pathetic reason for staying away. As I said before on here, when any success does appear, these people will trample those of us who've continued to attend and support underfoot to get their hands on tickets.

How many do you reckon this could be, and have the police been informed? :faf:

inglisavhibs
30-10-2014, 03:42 PM
I know 2 people who wont be back while he is at the club, and both dont come on here or manage to see much of the games other than the live ones on telly. In fact one of them is is Australia at the moment and the other went out on Sunday with his wife and Grandchild rather than watch the derby.

They won't be back and are not missing it at all, its become a lot easier for them to not go to games now.

When and if we start getting the results our current play deserves i wonder if Petrie will still be talked about. I doubt it and personally think that the 2 people you know just don't like football enough to support a team like Hibs. As was the case last night I prefer the atmosphere when there are less people attending but the ones that do are hard core and generally support the team whatever. Your two friends won't be missed in the long term. You are not alone though, as many of my Hibs supporting friends have given up attending and it will take a big change in fortune to get them back on a regular basis.

inglisavhibs
30-10-2014, 03:46 PM

What a depressing post, but everyone to their own i suppose. Maybe better supporting one of the old firm, they tend to win most games.:confused:

jdships
30-10-2014, 04:17 PM

Exactly !!:thumbsup:
I stopped going about six weeks ago ( after 74 years ) and as it stands have no intention of returning until I see improvement being maintained.
NOTHING TO DO WITH Petrie simply down to wanting to enjoy my football and get value for my money . Health and finance plays a part also but minor !!

:flag:

Rasta_Hibs
30-10-2014, 04:43 PM
I had a season ticket last year but have not been to a game this season. Mostly because of not buying a season ticket and then not thinking I was not getting value for my 20 odd quid it is to get in per game. Ie I'm not paying good money to watch garbage any more.

But I'd return if there was a team worth watching. Past few performances have got me interested again at least. I'll be back again I think soon.

Time For Heroes
30-10-2014, 05:39 PM
To not go and see Hibs at the next home game would be similar to ignoring Jessica Alba inviting you to "come into her room".

Is that what the kids call it nowadays? :greengrin

30-10-2014, 05:43 PM
The football has improved and the team are actually playing for the jersey. If things continue i'm confident folk will start coming back.

emerald green
30-10-2014, 06:15 PM
There are some (former) supporters who have not been back since that cup final, and more joined them after relegation. Once folk get out of the habit of attending, it can become the norm. I wonder how many supporters fall into this category?

Another point I think worth mentioning is that attendances for the league cup (certainly the earlier rounds) tend to be pretty poor across the board. It's not just at Hibs. Another factor might be something to do with season tickets not being valid for cup ties (unless you have a cup top-up)? Having said that, I was very surprised at the size of the Dundee Utd support last night. I don't think they ever brought that number for an SPL match at ER.

If Hibs start winning matches, fans will return. How many the club has lost for good is the big concern though.

Those who weren't there missed one of the best cup ties I've seen at ER for a long time. The result, like Sunday's, was a travesty.

jane_says
30-10-2014, 06:34 PM

This. These people are the same people that said they wouldn't be back until the team formerly known as Rangers were sent back to the 3rd division, then wouldn't come back until Fenlon was emptied, then until Butcher was emptied. If they really do stay away because of Petrie then they'll be staying away a fair while longer and will most likely miss some of the best football in years.

Real Emerald
30-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Agree with you on this, Petrie has his faults but he doesn't manage and coach the players and the club are trying to put things right. The way we're now playing is what we've all been after and results will come. Petrie will be a side show if we are playing well, if he's not already!

GreenLake
30-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Is that what the kids call it nowadays? :greengrin

:greengrin

Bleeds green
30-10-2014, 08:21 PM
I know a few family members have returned the last fee games and have the buzz back seeing players like Allan and malonga and my old man loves gray 'could be better than wille millar' he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stokesy's on fire
30-10-2014, 09:39 PM

100% agree. Good time for fans to return!

Swedish hibee
30-10-2014, 09:56 PM
If I can come from Sweden to watch Hibs- no excuses, get off your high-horse and support your team. We need the money from crowds to pay for the players we must keep. Simple as.

Bishop Hibee
30-10-2014, 10:19 PM
If we continue to play well AND get wins then there will be a bumper crowd v newco on December 27th.

hibs4thecup1988
31-10-2014, 08:37 PM
There are some (former) supporters who have not been back since that cup final, and more joined them after relegation. Once folk get out of the habit of attending, it can become the norm. I wonder how many supporters fall into this category?

Another point I think worth mentioning is that attendances for the league cup (certainly the earlier rounds) tend to be pretty poor across the board. It's not just at Hibs. Another factor might be something to do with season tickets not being valid for cup ties (unless you have a cup top-up)? Having said that, I was very surprised at the size of the Dundee Utd support last night. I don't think they ever brought that number for an SPL match at ER.

If Hibs start winning matches, fans will return. How many the club has lost for good is the big concern though.

Those who weren't there missed one of the best cup ties I've seen at ER for a long time. The result, like Sunday's, was a travesty.

Holds hand up

I have only been at the Cowdenbeath game due to a freebie. I am fed up with the club regards Petrie, Relegation, fans getting treated like crap, players still there that where there last season. Everything rolled into one.

Delighted with Wednesday night, Sunday was good, but again we couldn't close it out, 40 yarder or not we should be closing that game out. So a bit gutted.

Team are playing better though, and I have told Leeann Dempster of my intentions to get a half season ticket if we are top 4 when they come out so I can cheer the boys onto a play off position.

southsider
31-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Very true,league games will not be as open as last night but if the team puts in that effort every week the fans will come back
I would love to see bigger crowds at ER but the truth is that football at Hibs is fat too expensive for what is on show. £400 for lower league football S/T is just not on. I paid for mine like 7,500 + others but S/T's for B. Munich and parts of the Camp Nou go for less.

Deansy
31-10-2014, 09:19 PM

I's great that at long last, the team looks like it's starting to improve, even though it's only been in the last 6/7 games so it's still early-days. However, form in football is short-term - just now, long-term at Hibs means Petrie & Co still in charge, stifling any fight, ambition, pride etc with his beloved 'Business 1st - Football 2nd' ethos ingrained throughout everyone at ER. Until that changes, I can't see a lot of these fans coming back in a hurry - balancing a love of Hibs against being continually taken for mugs ('5 year-plan', 'massive changes' etc, etc) by a board that wouldn't give the fans the time of day, is a hard choice.

Godsahibby
01-11-2014, 07:43 AM
I' will hold my hand up and say I've fallen out of the habit of going. Had a season ticket for years but with the number games getting moved about that I would miss I never renewed made financial sense to pay at the gate. From there it went to my deciding to miss an occasional game which I didn't fancy to just deciding not to go along at all because I was bored. Even this season tried to make an effort to get back into it been to the Alloa game away Cowdenbeath and Raith at home yeah a bit of excitement with the Cowdenbeath game at the end but for the majority of the 270 mins I was bored no excitement no passion. Been offered tickets for games since then for free and turned them down. I don't mind watching a team and not winning I can handle a defeat but I want to walk out after a defeat or draw and be buzzing about it. From what I have seen this season that's been severely lacking.

Now hopefully after what I saw on tv on Sunday or from the chat about the cup game that seems to be back if so then I can see myself returning more.

Waxy
01-11-2014, 07:53 AM
People drop out of going to football all the time. This gets balanced by new young supporters starting who are not fickle. Some oldies/moaning faces are just waiting on any excuse to give up.

macd123
01-11-2014, 09:05 AM
I' will hold my hand up and say I've fallen out of the habit of going. Had a season ticket for years but with the number games getting moved about that I would miss I never renewed made financial sense to pay at the gate. From there it went to my deciding to miss an occasional game which I didn't fancy to just deciding not to go along at all because I was bored. Even this season tried to make an effort to get back into it been to the Alloa game away Cowdenbeath and Raith at home yeah a bit of excitement with the Cowdenbeath game at the end but for the majority of the 270 mins I was bored no excitement no passion. Been offered tickets for games since then for free and turned them down. I don't mind watching a team and not winning I can handle a defeat but I want to walk out after a defeat or draw and be buzzing about it. From what I have seen this season that's been severely lacking.

Now hopefully after what I saw on tv on Sunday or from the chat about the cup game that seems to be back if so then I can see myself returning more.

My perspective might be different because the last 3 games i have been to were rangers, yams, dundee united. I certainly left 2 of them buzzing!

Regardless 6k home support is pathetic. The lowest i can remember.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2014, 11:42 AM

This is what a lot of those who have stopped going have been saying, and its going to be a difficult job enticing a lot of them back.

That will be the hardest job the club has on their hands in the coming weeks and months.

snooky
01-11-2014, 11:55 AM
In the 70's, my social calendar for the whole year was worked out from the home/away/home/away routine and the Wee Red Book.
I never thought "Will I go to the game next week?" because it wasn't up for question.
These days, the game schedules are so varied and disorganised I sometimes forget there's a match on.
Plus, 5 or 6 seasons of being served up low grade mince has all but killed the passion & desire to go.

There's still a few embers glowing though so, who knows, by the end of the season there could be a roaster of a fire in the grate again.

silverhibee
01-11-2014, 12:03 PM
People drop out of going to football all the time. This gets balanced by new young supporters starting who are not fickle. Some oldies/moaning faces are just waiting on any excuse to give up.

Hibs are sorting that, 12 year olds are now getting life time bans from ER.

silverhibee
01-11-2014, 12:04 PM
ER looks empty today.

NAE NOOKIE
01-11-2014, 12:27 PM
I would love to see bigger crowds at ER but the truth is that football at Hibs is fat too expensive for what is on show. £400 for lower league football S/T is just not on. I paid for mine like 7,500 + others but S/T's for B. Munich and parts of the Camp Nou go for less.

Unfortunately the SPFL doesn't have a 700 million Euro per season TV deal to fall back on. Comparisons with Barca and Bayern are a waste of time in the context of this debate.

The crowd on Wednesday was definitely affected by charging £28 for an adult on Sunday ... a decision I do not agree with. £20 for adults and £5 for kids was about right on Wednesday ... but that was £48 in 3 days, which for walk ups was too much.

The Modfather
01-11-2014, 02:16 PM
It took a sustained period of time for folk like myself to drift away. It will take a sustained period of performances like the last two games in particular before I become anything close to a semi regular again.

southsider
01-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately the SPFL doesn't have a 700 million Euro per season TV deal to fall back on. Comparisons with Barca and Bayern are a waste of time in the context of this debate.

The crowd on Wednesday was definitely affected by charging £28 for an adult on Sunday ... a decision I do not agree with. £20 for adults and £5 for kids was about right on Wednesday ... but that was £48 in 3 days, which for walk ups was too much.
Aye but do you think we could sell 15,000 s/t at £200 rather than 7,500 at £400 ?

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Aye but do you think we could sell 15,000 s/t at £200 rather than 7,500 at £400 ?

We dont sell 7.5k at £400?

SunshineOnLeith
01-11-2014, 08:05 PM

No.

OsloHibs
01-11-2014, 08:58 PM
It took a sustained period of time for folk like myself to drift away. It will take a sustained period of performances like the last two games in particular before I become anything close to a semi regular again.

How long are you planing to make your stand? Your logging on here, so why not get yourself through the turnstile? We've been unbeaten for 7 games (not including penalties) now you know.

weonlywon6-2
02-11-2014, 06:35 AM

Dunno about the 15,000 figure but we would shift a lot more at that price.
If we keep playing well half season sales could be interesting

ArmadaleHibs
02-11-2014, 07:43 AM
The way I see things is a lot of fans have not deserted hibs overnight. It's been a long agonising period of punishment that we as fans have had to endure. Terrible performances over years, numerous let downs, the boards transfer policy and petrie to boot are all part of the reasons that several thousand fans have decided they cannot keep puting themselves through it.

Five or six games without defeat and performances which have much improved may not be enough for now for some fans to regain the trust of the players and club. TIME is the only thing that will heal the problem. These fans have not stayed away lightly and no one at this club, fan, owner, staff or anyone attached to the club have a right to chastise or criticise anyone who's not quite ready to return, if indeed they ever do.
Hibernian football club have a history of making you feel all is well again, sucking you in, and letting you down in a huge way.

And before anyone starts, that ain't me being negative, that's me being realistic.

The Modfather
02-11-2014, 09:19 AM
How long are you planing to make your stand? Your logging on here, so why not get yourself through the turnstile? We've been unbeaten for 7 games (not including penalties) now you know.

I don't have a personal stand. Was merely highlighting that for a lot of the missing fans it took a long time to get to where we are. It wasn't a case of leaving after one or two results.

As you say, I'm still on here so obviously still care, but as I get older and having walked away it becomes easier and more natural for Hibs to slide down the list of priorities.

If I was to answer what one event or set of circumstances might galvanise me again and see me return to the days where I attended a large percentage of games home and away. It might be the removal of Petrie and/or a new owner. Which would feel like a genuine new start and something I could buy into from the beginning again.

Then again it might just be something like keeping the social group together now we are all getting older and having families etc, so good to have a set day out.

Lucius Apuleius
02-11-2014, 09:41 AM
This is not a dig at the so called stay away fans. I personally don@t like the term as it appears to be synonomous with everyone who has missed a few games. Everybody misses games for different reasons.

To those who have decided they are not going back for various reasons attributed to football/Hibs/Petrie/Farmer/Newco/Sevco/SFA/whatever, again their prerogative and one they are rightly entitled to. However it is a bit like going to buy a new car IMO. You either want a new car or you don't. You either go and tell the salesman you want a car or you want the salesman to come to you and sell it. I am in the first camp. If you want it enough you will get it. People are absolutely correct that it becomes a habit to not go as easy as it does to get into the habit of going. If you really want to go, it is only one small step. lets be honest, SOME people spend a lot longer than 90 minutes on here every week moaning about Hibs, think how much more fun it would be in real life moaning at them.
always believed that Hibs supporters were that wee bit different than the rest, chosen as opposed to choosing supporting Hibs. Come back, but please lets not keep hearing the excuses on here. If you don't want to come back, don't, but please stop moaning about everything Hibs on here.

GGTTH

FranckSuzy
02-11-2014, 11:01 AM
This is not a dig at the so called stay away fans. I personally don@t like the term as it appears to be synonomous with everyone who has missed a few games. Everybody misses games for different reasons.

To those who have decided they are not going back for various reasons attributed to football/Hibs/Petrie/Farmer/Newco/Sevco/SFA/whatever, again their prerogative and one they are rightly entitled to. However it is a bit like going to buy a new car IMO. You either want a new car or you don't. You either go and tell the salesman you want a car or you want the salesman to come to you and sell it. I am in the first camp. If you want it enough you will get it. People are absolutely correct that it becomes a habit to not go as easy as it does to get into the habit of going. If you really want to go, it is only one small step. lets be honest, SOME people spend a lot longer than 90 minutes on here every week moaning about Hibs, think how much more fun it would be in real life moaning at them.
always believed that Hibs supporters were that wee bit different than the rest, chosen as opposed to choosing supporting Hibs. Come back, but please lets not keep hearing the excuses on here. If you don't want to come back, don't, but please stop moaning about everything Hibs on here.

GGTTH

:applause:

Holmesdale Hibs
02-11-2014, 11:46 AM
I've not been to The Holy Ground for nearly 2 years but that's because I live down south. Whenever I'm in Edinburgh, I'll try and watch Hibs regardless of how bad we are.

That being said, last season came close to breaking me. Butcher's hoof ball was the worse I've ever seen (and I sat through the Miller and Williamson eras), and following on from Calderwood and Fenlon I'm not surprised people stopped going. The attendance at the London Hibs pub also dropped and when I could be arsed tracking across town on weekend transport, it was more like a theopy session than anything else.

This season 'feels' better and I'm a lot more up for watching Hibs. I like what Stubbs is trying to do and it reminds me a bit of the start of Mowbray's time. I'll take erratic defending and the odd dodgy result for some decent football and players that look like they give a care. I've been impressed with us the last 2 games and we deserved more from them. But the more relevant point for this thread is I'm beginning to enjoy watching Hibs again and am looking forward to the next game. If I lived in Edinburgh, I'd be buying a half season ticket.

jdships
02-11-2014, 12:28 PM

GGTTH

Question
What is " Hibs Net" for ?
Answer
To allow members to post/express their opinions FREELY
You are telling people to stop moaning : do I take that you mean everyone or just the " stay away fans " ?

If it's the "SAF's" then you are surely setting yourself up as a " Uber Fan" which we can do without .
If you don't like thwae people " moaning" don't read their posts

Keith_M
02-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Question
Answer
You are telling people to stop moaning : do I take that you mean everyone or just the " stay away fans " ?

If it's the "SAF's" then you are surely setting yourself up as a " Uber Fan" which we can do without .

In fairness, I felt he was particularly trying to avoid that, as he said he didn't like the term.

Lucius Apuleius
02-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Question
Answer

I am telling nobody to do anything, I am asking. Certainly not an uber fan, never have been and never will be so f knows where you pulled that idea from. I am merely saying that it is one small step to come along, IF THEY WANT. FACT.END OF.

Oh, and I try not to read their posts but it is pretty hard when virtually every thread turns into a hibby bashing session. problem is, I know most of these guys are great Hibbys and they do come out with positive posts that are worth listening to. The negative posts are not.

Lucius Apuleius
02-11-2014, 12:42 PM
I fairness, I felt he was particularly trying to avoid that, as he said he didn't like the term.

Thanks brother. :greengrin

Crazyhorse
02-11-2014, 12:49 PM

GGTTH

Have to say that is a completely false analogy for me. Hibs is nothing like buying a car or any other product.

With apologies to James for me Hibs are like a disease, without any cure.

Anyway I'm off to dress up in women's clothes, and play around with gender roles.

(Or maybe I'll just put an apron on to cook the lunch)

Lucius Apuleius
02-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Have to say that is a completely false analogy for me. Hibs is nothing like buying a car or any other product.

With apologies to James for me Hibs are like a disease, without any cure.

Anyway I'm off to dress up in women's clothes, and play around with gender roles.

(Or maybe I'll just put an apron on to cook the lunch)

Having worn many aprons in my life, cooking lunch and otherwise, go right ahead. :greengrin

As to the analogy, it either works or it doesn't for you. It is the same principle, you either want to the car or not, you either want to go to the football or not, your choice and not one that should be influenced by anyone else. having said that there were a few times two seasons ago when I was still working and I came home on leave where I did not go to games purely on what was said on here. Hibs used to be everything in my life as well. When I was home on leave, absolutely everything revolved around where Hibs were next playing. Afraid things change as you get older and reality throws a few curved balls at you.

Keith_M
02-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks brother. :greengrin

I think of you more as the eccentric uncle.

:wink:

Lucius Apuleius
02-11-2014, 05:01 PM
I think of you more as the eccentric uncle.

:wink:

Cheeky wee toerag ! 😄

Swedish hibee
02-11-2014, 08:33 PM
This thread is depressing! To all the missing thousands- Get back to ER. Your club needs you.

silverhibee
03-11-2014, 12:12 AM
HFC :flag:

H18Y GW
03-11-2014, 04:51 AM
Question
Answer

So it's freedom of expression as long as it sits in with your thoughts..
Your telling him to stop moaning about people moaning lol
That is one of the strangest posts I've read on here tbh

MB62
03-11-2014, 12:32 PM

Their loss

So, if we had beat Dundee Utd, we would have been playing Aberdeen in the semi-final, probably at Hampden. Are you suggesting that only Hibs and Aberdeen supporters who go every other week to their respective home matches are allowed to get tickets for the semi? That would have meant a crowd of around 19,000 and then there would have been moans about how we can't sell our tickets for a semi-final.

People turn out for these games that wouldn't normally go to home games, it's a fact of life for ALL smaller clubs.

There have been enough people on here saying 'eff Petrie et al' just get the product on the park and everything else falls in to place. It looks like things are improving on the park and people will start going back if that remains the case, a win against Cowdenbeath and there will be a very decent crowd against Q of S, another draw or defeat and it will be back to square one, however unpalatable that sounds, that's just unfortunately how it is.

silverhibee
03-11-2014, 08:47 PM
The way I see things is a lot of fans have not deserted hibs overnight. It's been a long agonising period of punishment that we as fans have had to endure. Terrible performances over years, numerous let downs, the boards transfer policy and petrie to boot are all part of the reasons that several thousand fans have decided they cannot keep puting themselves through it.

Five or six games without defeat and performances which have much improved may not be enough for now for some fans to regain the trust of the players and club. TIME is the only thing that will heal the problem. These fans have not stayed away lightly and no one at this club, fan, owner, staff or anyone attached to the club have a right to chastise or criticise anyone who's not quite ready to return, if indeed they ever do.
Hibernian football club have a history of making you feel all is well again, sucking you in, and letting you down in a huge way.

And before anyone starts, that ain't me being negative, that's me being realistic.

Good post. Hibs eh.

Ronniekirk
04-11-2014, 08:16 AM
This thread is depressing! To all the missing thousands- Get back to ER. Your club needs you.
If current form continues and some of those home draws are converted into wins ,I think we will shift a fair few half season tickets if they structure offer right and don't look to sell any of our prize Assetts in January Transfer Window .

johnrebus
04-11-2014, 01:51 PM
I have not seen Hibs since 19th May 2012.

Will not be back until Petrie and Farmer are gone.

When that happens, I will follow the club home and away, even if it's in the Lowland League.

:brickwall

Turkish Green
04-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Seven games undefeated (eight if you ignore penalties) since the defeat at QoS. What AS needs to do is convert the draws into wins.

Then last game against Cowdenbeath at ER, Hibs were lucky to win thanks to injury time goals. If Hibs can defeat Cowdenbeath away witn the same level of confidence they have shown in the last three games then maybe the corner has been turned.

Although it might be to late for many fans to return for the remainder of this season while the cologne of Petrie still lingers in the boardroom.

Hibernia&Alba
04-11-2014, 03:12 PM

Very good post. Just as there was a long term process in fans not attending, so there will need to be a process of re-engagement.

capitals_finest
04-11-2014, 08:21 PM
It has all been said before, supporters can only take so many kicks to the bollocse before you remove your bollocse from the firing line. Whether you agree or disagree with the stay away supporters, the fact is long lasting damage has been done...

Waxy
04-11-2014, 08:46 PM
It has all been said before, supporters can only take so many kicks to the bollocse before you remove your bollocse from the firing line. Whether you agree or disagree with the stay away supporters, the fact is long lasting damage has been done...This is it and it's why We've lost a good amount of fans.Last season was awful.Only needing a few points out of the last 10 or so games to survive and not getting them was pathetic.Fans have gone and the fans who remain are still very angry.We only need one bad defeat and it's back to crisis on here.
The new regime don't really deserve this as we have really played some cracking football lately, best in the championship imo but it has taken a while to get going.
Only the club can win back the fans.

Islington Hibs
04-11-2014, 09:46 PM
This is it and it's why We've lost a good amount of fans.Last season was awful.Only needing a few points out of the last 10 or so games to survive and not getting them was pathetic.Fans have gone and the fans who remain are still very angry.We only need one bad defeat and it's back to crisis on here.
The new regime don't really deserve this as we have really played some cracking football lately, best in the championship imo but it has taken a while to get going.
Only the club can win back the fans.

spot on. While one a Hibby always a Hibby many have chosen to check the results at home. I can understand that. To my mind the real damage of 30 odd years of under-performance is that we are losing the under 20's. Can't have been much fun being a Hibs fan at school these last few years and it seems to me while we still have a very decent support it is ageing. A few decent seasons will reverse this but we need those seasons......and quickly

Swedish hibee
04-11-2014, 09:47 PM
I have not seen Hibs since 19th May 2012.

Will not be back until Petrie and Farmer are gone.

When that happens, I will follow the club home and away, even if it's in the Lowland League.

:no way:

capitals_finest
04-11-2014, 11:03 PM
spot on. While one a Hibby always a Hibby many have chosen to check the results at home. I can understand that. To my mind the real damage of 30 odd years of under-performance is that we are losing the under 20's. Can't have been much fun being a Hibs fan at school these last few years and it seems to me while we still have a very decent support it is ageing. A few decent seasons will reverse this but we need those seasons......and quickly

Depressing as it is there is a generation of supporters that have only known the club to be completely gash with no ambition from its leadership.

macd123
05-11-2014, 02:29 AM

That's very true. Football is part of family life for many people and a tradition of going with your dad and then taking your son. There is no way i would give up my seat for that reason. This is what i do to spend time with my boy.

Last year i faced the genuine situation of my 7 year saying "Look dad, hibs are terrible. They always lose. They don't score goals. Why can't we follow celtic?" Then his mum saying "Of course you can. You can support whatever team you like." There's no way that would happen but I felt like going back to easter road and strangling butcher myself.

Hibs HAVE TO entertain as well as win. Thank god we are starting to do that. I think its safe now to say to everyone to please come back, its going to be exciting at the very least.

Islington Hibs
05-11-2014, 09:14 AM
That's very true. Football is part of family life for many people and a tradition of going with your dad and then taking your son. There is no way i would give up my seat for that reason. This is what i do to spend time with my boy.

Last year i faced the genuine situation of my 7 year saying "Look dad, hibs are terrible. They always lose. They don't score goals. Why can't we follow celtic?" Then his mum saying "Of course you can. You can support whatever team you like." There's no way that would happen but I felt like going back to easter road and strangling butcher myself.

Hibs HAVE TO entertain as well as win. Thank god we are starting to do that. I think its safe now to say to everyone to please come back, its going to be exciting at the very least.

Agree- while these things are family traditions they can die. Most people want a bloody good day out with some friends/ family with entertainment, excitement and decent banter. Lets hope the recent uptick in performances last and we can give the next generation something to be proud of.

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Very similar to the conversation in our house except it's me asking the question to my 20 year old son.

Turkish Green
05-11-2014, 03:21 PM
So true, I spent my teens watching the Tornadoes. In those days there wasn't much alternatives to watching football on a Saturday but when I ask my son if he wants to go to the match I often get a "no thanks, dad". However as he is a greedy wee barsteward he is always susceptible to a bribe to come along.

It worries me that at least one generation of supporters is lost due to what is being offered up.