PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Scooter
29-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I know we could do this for every player tonight. But how does he continue to run and run and run. What a shift he puts in

ross_m
29-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Yes well said he had a great game.

Ronniekirk
29-10-2014, 10:37 PM
I know we could do this for every player tonight. But how does he continue to run and run and run. What a shift he puts in
He is out of contract in summer we should be looking to sign him up on longer deal and give him the Testimonial he deserves

hibbymick
29-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes well said he had a great game.

He had a decent game.

29-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Great game from him, ran his socks off and fought for everything! Lost the ball a few times needlessly but other than that I thought he was great

Seveno
29-10-2014, 11:08 PM
And yet another assist from Lewis. Well done again wee man.

truehibernian
29-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Playing the best competitive football of his career under Stubbs - has to be given a contract. Top player, always has been in my book.

Stantons Angel
29-10-2014, 11:40 PM
And yet another assist from Lewis. Well done again wee man.

yes it was a cracker! He ran his heart out as usual and could hardly breathe by the end of the 90 mins.

He has to get another contract and the testimonial year he so thoroughly deserves!

dp00
Him and Gray play the wing back roles perfect , should sign him up, we won't get better for cheaper

Pete
One criticism: I wish he could cross the ball a bit better.

Saying that, if he could deliver killer crosses into the box he probably wouldn't be here.

Saturday Boy
29-10-2014, 11:41 PM

Saying that, if he could deliver killer crosses into the box he probably wouldn't be here.
Decent cross for Cummings' goal.

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Had a shaky first 10 or so minutes, but put in a great shift thereafter ... great spirit in the whole team tonight and Sunday, very pleasing.

Pete
29-10-2014, 11:46 PM

:agree:...and an excellent finish from Cummings. Maybe I'm being overly critical but I wish we could get more crosses with pace on them from him.

PeterboroHibee
30-10-2014, 06:36 AM

Although his crossing can be a bit erratic, I still think hes one of the better players at the club in terms of his delivery and decision making during the game. He must have 5 or 6 assists already, and with better finishing by others, could have had a fair few more (theres quite a few chances hes put on a plate for various players who have wasted it).

He seems to have found a new lease of life under Stubbs, has the freedom to attack and is a really important player for us in my opinion. As others have said in this thread, lets get him signed up on a new deal!

erin-go-bragh87
30-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Playing the best competitive football of his career under Stubbs - has to be given a contract. Top player, always has been in my book.

Couldn't agree more pal.

PeeJay
30-10-2014, 07:47 AM

... decent doesn't quite do it justice IMO - was a great cross into the box - the type of cross we need to be using more often - nice to see one of our players get onto it as well for a change ....

Saturday Boy
30-10-2014, 08:01 AM
... decent doesn't quite do it justice IMO - was a great cross into the box - the type of cross we need to be using more often - nice to see one of our players get onto it as well for a change ....

Agreed. I also thought it was similar to Heffernan's goal at Livingston; a hard cross to the near post, with the striker getting in before the defender and keeper. Looks like something they've been working on.

duffers
30-10-2014, 08:31 AM
I said similar at the game. The energy that both Stevenson and Gray give is ridiculous. Both still getiing up and down the line constantly 120 minutes into the game, Always been a big fan of Lewy's and agree that he deserves a new contract

woodythehibee
30-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Stevenson & Gray were bombing up and down all game which was great to see. in the 119th minute, Gray was in the Utd box at the back post waiting on the cross coming in. Great energy and desire from both.

PPZPOL
30-10-2014, 08:44 AM
He was still flying like a steam train in ET with ball down wing and closing down sharp a few times which was great, excellent fitness levels. First 3 crosses hit first defender in first half so needs to work on just getting it in an area like for the goal. I'm certain he'll work on that so it can only get better. We know he has it in locker with cross last night and against The Rangers for example. Maybe just over thinking his delivery. Just get it into penalty spot area and shout at the forwards when they aren't there wee man!!!

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Finally seeing all of his attributes coming to fruition under Stubbs' management - but the best thing about Lewis is that you can see how much playing for Hibs matters to him in everything he does.

truehibernian
30-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Finally seeing all of his attributes coming to fruition under Stubbs' management - but the best thing about Lewis is that you can see how much playing for Hibs matters to him in everything he does.

It's a belief thing for Lewis I think - but I've been saying for years, in my opinion, he is one of if not the most comfortable players at the football club in possession and with the ball at his feet. He rarely wastes possession and can take a ball in difficult situations quite comfortably. The 'wing back' system suits him because 1) he is fit as a butcher's dug and 2) there are better technical players in the side now who themselves have pace and press higher up the pitch. This allows him that confidence to go forward as we are often more in the opposition half and we win back possession quicker.

I do like the way Stubbs thinks. You don't score goals in your own half (unless you are Oxley :greengrin) - so getting the ball into the opposition half and ball retention in this area is key.

I think any club outside Celtic would take Lewis - and I'm serious when I say that. You know you are getting a very versatile, technically good footballer and a pro.

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 09:19 AM
It's a belief thing for Lewis I think - but I've been saying for years, in my opinion, he is one of if not the most comfortable players at the football club in possession and with the ball at his feet. He rarely wastes possession and can take a ball in difficult situations quite comfortably. The 'wing back' system suits him because 1) he is fit as a butcher's dug and 2) there are better technical players in the side now who themselves have pace and press higher up the pitch. This allows him that confidence to go forward as we are often more in the opposition half and we win back possession quicker.

I do like the way Stubbs thinks. You don't score goals in your own half (unless you are Oxley :greengrin) - so getting the ball into the opposition half and ball retention in this area is key.

I think any club outside Celtic would take Lewis - and I'm serious when I say that. You know you are getting a very versatile, technically good footballer and a pro.

Completely agree. And with 235 games for Hibs and him only being 26, I think the best is yet to come from Lewis.

jdships
30-10-2014, 09:42 AM

:top marks
Me too :thumbsup:

Seveno
30-10-2014, 09:47 AM
He is the Philipp Lahm of Scottish football :greengrin

PatHead
30-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Was always frustrated about his final ball as he got into good positions and he also had a habit of taking a touch, looking around, then passing it sideways.

He seems to have got past that though and really has moved up to a new level. Wish he would shoot now and then, loved the reception he got when he scored against Killie last season and would love to experience it again.

kentao
30-10-2014, 03:40 PM
He is the Philipp Lahm of Scottish football :greengrin

Prefer to think of him more as louie bale the way he bombs up and down the flank. Him and gray are great assets to the team. Looking forward to Cowdenbeath at the weekend.

emerald green
30-10-2014, 06:07 PM

:agree:

Agreed. I also thought it was similar to Heffernan's goal at Livingston; a hard cross to the near post, with the striker getting in before the defender and keeper. Looks like something they've been working on.

:agree: Just need to do that more consistently.

weonlywon6-2
30-10-2014, 06:32 PM

I agree with you on this one,and like others he will get better with games,

Michael
30-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Stubbs, give this man a 5 year contract. Lewis is a Hibs legend.

Northernhibee
30-10-2014, 06:58 PM
One of the most under-rated Hibs players of all time along with Paul Hanlon. I admire both unconditionally for the attitude and honesty that they bring to our play.

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 07:05 PM
One of the most under-rated Hibs players of all time along with Paul Hanlon. I admire both unconditionally for the attitude and honesty that they bring to our play.

On the subject of Hanlon, I was delighted to see him having a go at Ciftci last night after he was clattered by him by the halfway line.

Hanlon often wrongly gets accused of not being brave/physical enough on here, but I was glad to see him assert himself like he did in that situation.

NadeAteMyLunch!
30-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Pains me that we had McGivern giving away goals nearly every week and generally playing horrendously in our run in last season whilst Lewis sat it out. Admittedly he wasn't playing like this last season, however it just shows how much more Stubbs gets out of players than that last clown.
Easy to forget that Lewis broke through as a centre midfielder and has had to completely change his game so many times due to being shunted around everywhere. Deserves credit for that alone

pedroorange1875
30-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Lets not get too carried away here, phrases like found a new level and consistent performer i agree are absolutely correct. He is a consistent performer in the Championship, he has found a new level, in the Championship. I believe that this his level.

Anybody can batter in 100 crosses and get a few assists of them, his first 4 or 5 crosses last night were pathetic and this has been the story throughout his career at a higher lever, this is the Championship. But lets not start hyping up a very average player for the last 7 years. With the emergence of what will be a really good player in Scott Allan i hope Lewis Stevenson sees far less of the ball as we will get many more assists and goals from Allan. The ball goes through Stevenson far too much for us to be truely effective at a higher level.

Great engine, brilliant fitness and desire with an obvious real love for Hibs, but massively limited footballer who is having a good start to the season in which most of us have been distraught with until recently

Northernhibee
30-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Lets not get too carried away here, phrases like found a new level and consistent performer i agree are absolutely correct. He is a consistent performer in the Championship, he has found a new level, in the Championship. I believe that this his level.

Anybody can batter in 100 crosses and get a few assists of them, his first 4 or 5 crosses last night were pathetic and this has been the story throughout his career at a higher lever, this is the Championship. But lets not start hyping up a very average player for the last 7 years. With the emergence of what will be a really good player in Scott Allan i hope Lewis Stevenson sees far less of the ball as we will get many more assists and goals from Allan. The ball goes through Stevenson far too much for us to be truely effective at a higher level.

Great engine, brilliant fitness and desire with an obvious real love for Hibs, but massively limited footballer who is having a good start to the season in which most of us have been distraught with until recently

"I believe that is his level"? What are you on about? We were playing a top SPL team last night.

Some people just can't help themselves.

Jonnyboy
30-10-2014, 07:49 PM

You're opinion and you're entitled to it but many, including me, disagree

Kenbo
30-10-2014, 07:56 PM

I definitely second this.

pedroorange1875
30-10-2014, 08:18 PM
"I believe that is his level"? What are you on about? We were playing a top SPL team last night.

Your talking about 1 game, i know exactly what im on about or are you going to mention he was MOM in the cup final....we were relegated with people like Lewis Stevenson in the team, we have never been a consistent top six SPL side, we have been a lucky Championship side for about 3/4 years now and finally got our deserved relegation. I have sat watching utter garbage for the last 5 years and its because we have stuck with (and im not solely saying just him) players of inferior quality. We are a massive club, its simple, as a group of players we need better quality than Lewis Stevenson or we will get exactly what we have got for the last 5 years, im not sure that can be argued as history has already proven. However as it has been said everyone is entitled to their opinion and i have great admiration for his loyalty, he has a very good engine and a desire to do the best for Hibs and always gives 110% no doubt, he is just not near the quality we need to be a top team, and lets not get carried away here we are a developing championship team, which looks promising.

pedroorange1875
30-10-2014, 08:20 PM

Totally fine, that's what opinions are for:agree:

Northernhibee
30-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Your talking about 1 game, i know exactly what im on about or are you going to mention he was MOM in the cup final....we were relegated with people like Lewis Stevenson in the team, we have never been a consistent top six SPL side, we have been a lucky Championship side for about 3/4 years now and finally got our deserved relegation. I have sat watching utter garbage for the last 5 years and its because we have stuck with (and im not solely saying just him) players of inferior quality. We are a massive club, its simple, as a group of players we need better quality than Lewis Stevenson or we will get exactly what we have got for the last 5 years, im not sure that can be argued as history has already proven. However as it has been said everyone is entitled to their opinion and i have great admiration for his loyalty, he has a very good engine and a desire to do the best for Hibs and always gives 110% no doubt, he is just not near the quality we need to be a top team, and lets not get carried away here we are a developing championship team, which looks promising.

"or are you going to mention he was MOM in the cup final"

So your defence is bringing up that he's been one of our top performers for years? :confused:

tamig
30-10-2014, 08:26 PM

Your view but I think it's pish.

pedroorange1875
30-10-2014, 08:28 PM
"or are you going to mention he was MOM in the cup final"

So your defence is bringing up that he's been one of our top performers for years? :confused:

really:rolleyes:

Your opinion differs and thats fine

hibbymick
30-10-2014, 08:40 PM

I agree.

eastterrace
30-10-2014, 08:53 PM

been saying this for a few years myself, we are were we are due to the players of limited ability
like lewis, he is a good pro but that doesnt make him a good player. but you darent say anything against him cause if you do then your talking pish.

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-10-2014, 09:41 PM
been saying this for a few years myself, we are were we are due to the players of limited ability
like lewis, he is a good pro but that doesnt make him a good player. but you darent say anything against him cause if you do then your talking pish.What are you expecting from a left back? The wee guy has hit good form, rarely wastes a ball, good deliveries, honest work ethic and terrific attitude.

Calum68
30-10-2014, 09:46 PM

Well said.

Stantons Angel
30-10-2014, 11:00 PM

Well done, i was enjoying reading this post full of positive vibes about Lewis and his contribution to last nights game.

All you have done here is go back in time and state rather obvious things from other postings.

Why cant you just be happy that he IS playing so well in a position that is not his best!! He has given everything to the jersey why cant you let him have a bit of the praise he deserves without spoiling it for Him.

Ok so he is playing in the championship and so is Scott Allan? You are seeing him playing well in this division too are you not? What makes you so sure he would be a top player in the higher division.? He didnt quite hit it off with DU in the premier league or when he went down south either? Like you i think he is a good player for us in this league!

But this posting is about Lewis and how he is playing NOW and in this league, let him have the praise! You never know he and the others Allan included may come on better with praise when its due!!

pedroorange1875
30-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Well done, i was enjoying reading this post full of positive vibes about Lewis and his contribution to last nights game.

All you have done here is go back in time and state rather obvious things from other postings.

Why cant you just be happy that he IS playing so well in a position that is not his best!! He has given everything to the jersey why cant you let him have a bit of the praise he deserves without spoiling it for Him.

Ok so he is playing in the championship and so is Scott Allan? You are seeing him playing well in this division too are you not? What makes you so sure he would be a top player in the higher division.? He didnt quite hit it off with DU in the premier league or when he went down south either? Like you i think he is a good player for us in this league!

But this posting is about Lewis and how he is playing NOW and in this league, let him have the praise! You never know he and the others Allan included may come on better with praise when its due!!

Rubbish, i have experience of sitting watching absolute garbage and paying £405 for the privilege for the last 5'ish years.. if you dont agree its fine but dont start writing nonsense. History over 7 years proves he is nothing more than average, Scott Allan has a few years to prove that still but i never have seen Stevenson drift past 5 or 6 in tight midfield with confident ease on more than a few occasions now or in the last 7 years.

Let me state again i have a lot of admiration for someone who gives us 110%, never shirks any task given him and obviously loves Hibs...but he just an average player who is doing well in the championship so far for 9 games..Joe Cardle is playing in the SPL

MWHIBBIES
31-10-2014, 12:01 AM
On the subject of Hanlon, I was delighted to see him having a go at Ciftci last night after he was clattered by him by the halfway line.

Hanlon often wrongly gets accused of not being brave/physical enough on here, but I was glad to see him assert himself like he did in that situation.The different between how he deablt with Ciftci last night and last season in our 1-3 loss was night and day, no more getting pushed around by big forwards for Hanlon.

matty_f
31-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Stevenson has developed as a player massively in the last few seasons. I think he's a genuinely good footballer and IMHO is one of the first names on the team sheet. He's been a joy to watch for a while now.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-10-2014, 01:51 AM
Rubbish, i have experience of sitting watching absolute garbage and paying £405 for the privilege for the last 5'ish years.. if you dont agree its fine but dont start writing nonsense. History over 7 years proves he is nothing more than average, Scott Allan has a few years to prove that still but i never have seen Stevenson drift past 5 or 6 in tight midfield with confident ease on more than a few occasions now or in the last 7 years.

Let me state again i have a lot of admiration for someone who gives us 110%, never shirks any task given him and obviously loves Hibs...but he just an average player who is doing well in the championship so far for 9 games..Joe Cardle is playing in the SPL

you're a bit conflicted then ...?

Viva_Palmeiras
31-10-2014, 01:58 AM
Stevenson has developed as a player massively in the last few seasons. I think he's a genuinely good footballer and IMHO is one of the first names on the team sheet. He's been a joy to watch for a while now.

And yet there are still those that come back to that MOM performance as a stick to beat him with - perverse! Maybe they didn't get enough praise as a child? Who knows? All this "living off X" is a little tedious - what a miserable existstance.

Dinkydoo
31-10-2014, 06:52 AM
I agree.

I remember last season when most were hiding on the pitch Stevenson more times than not was Mr Dependable but for some reason, he was continually dropped - after getting a goal and a few assists in the games beforehand too! He plays the LB position very well and generally puts in a good shift wherever he's deployed. Lewis is an asset to the team.

Centre Hawf
31-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Nonsense. His best games this season have come against County, Rangers, United and Hearts. All teams that are either Premiership or would finish around mid table if placed in it now. He's been given a massive confidence boost by Stubbs who clearly likes him and while i agree his final ball can be hit or miss, that goes for Gray, Kennedy, Harris etc also. If they could beat a man everytime and deliver a perfect cross they wouldn't be here.

Pretty Boy
31-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Only disappointment for me was that he didn't take a penalty.

As one of our most experienced players he should have been higher up the order than 9th or 10th.

Over the 120 minutes he was very good though but that's not a suprise, it's what I've come to expect from him. He's a good player.

Stevie Reid
31-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Only disappointment for me was that he didn't take a penalty.

As one of our most experienced players he should have been higher up the order than 9th or 10th.

Over the 120 minutes he was very good though but that's not a suprise, it's what I've come to expect from him. He's a good player.

He might be one of the most experienced, but he's scored two goals in 235 appearances! I wouldn't be surprised if every single player on the park for Hibs had had more shots on goal in their Hibs careers than Lewis has in his (maybe even Oxley!).

No problem with him not taking one sooner.

Northernhibee
31-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Think of the last few years and some of the great results we've achieved - putting three past Sevco at Ibrox more than once, beating Celtic at ER, winning a derby in front of a sold our ER. Think of all the managers we've had. Think of some of the players we've disposed of - Palsson, Vaz Te, Eoin Doyle etc. Think of some decent cup runs.

The poor players have been ditched, the backrooom staff has changed and the team on the field has changed.

Lewie has been one constant through good times and bad, and there's a number of very good reasons why no manager would get rid of him.

cmcd
31-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Certain posters say Lewis is an average player That is not the case No player stays at a club of Hibs stature for the length of time he has being average Another point When the fans were protesting behind the West stand after the Hamilton game He was man enough to come out and face them Which was more than any of the others Give the guy break He has earned it

portycabbage
31-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Nonsense. His best games this season have come against County, Rangers, United and Hearts. All teams that are either Premiership or would finish around mid table if placed in it now. He's been given a massive confidence boost by Stubbs who clearly likes him and while i agree his final ball can be hit or miss, that goes for Gray, Kennedy, Harris etc also. If they could beat a man everytime and deliver a perfect cross they wouldn't be here.

Think we scored 9 in those 4 games and Stevenson made 4 of them. Not sure who's top for assists for us but he must be there or thereabouts.