PDA

View Full Version : The Hibee Spirit is Back

The Harp Awakes
29-10-2014, 10:10 PM
For the first time in ages I'm looking forward to our next game. What a transformation in the team. Skill, grit and determination in abundance. Great to see.

Well done Alan Stubbs:not worth

Pretty Boy
29-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Was saying that at the game tonight.

Both Sunday and tonight are the 1st games I can genuinely remember really enjoying for months, if not well over a year. Can't wait for Cowdenbeath now.

Northernhibee
29-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Attacking football played with style and pace. Goals. Entertainment.

Hibs class.

banchoryhibs
29-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Me too, edge of the seat stuff. Ok some poor defending but if we keep this up we won't be far away at the end of the season.

More than matched the premiership side :flag:

Michael
29-10-2014, 10:23 PM
A bit of pride coming back I think. It's been a while!

TowerHibs
29-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Lol this place really cheers me up at times

Bostonhibby
29-10-2014, 10:28 PM

Hibs class.

Yeehah, first time I have felt that way in ages. Intae them Hibs, let's try and outscore as many of them as possible.

Definite progress.

Jonnyboy
29-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Lol this place really cheers me up at times

Not sure what you mean by that but it cannot be denied we are definitely moving in the right direction following a cracking display against a team flying high in the top league

S4uzee
29-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Not sure what you mean by that but it cannot be denied we are definitely moving in the right direction following a cracking display against a team flying high in the top league

There is definite signs of improvement and I like the look of this team but no point playing well if your not going to win

Jonnyboy
29-10-2014, 10:35 PM
There is definite signs of improvement and I like the look of this team but no point playing well if your not going to win

Would you rather we played badly and lost? Jeezo

TowerHibs
29-10-2014, 10:36 PM

I agree 100% with you. To be honest, I've been saying for weeks now that we look good and its a matter of time before the team clicks.

All I meant that if its 0-0 after 70mins on Saturday,this place will be houchin of shouts of "disgrace" "cowards" "embarrassing" etc

No harm or digs intended, just the modern day fickle fan.

Saying that,still think we need to be much more ruthless and unfussy playing the "smaller" teams

29-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Lot more spirit and guts about the team. If that had been last years team they would never have had the heart and desire to fight back 3 times after going behind - they would have crumbled and conceeded more most likely!

It's still not perfect but definatly heading in the right direction!

:flag:

weonlywon6-2
29-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Although disappointed with the result i thought we were very good tonight,what a difference

S4uzee
29-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Would you rather we played badly and lost? Jeezo

Obviously not but Sunday and tonight were two games we should've win and it's just frustrating

Glorious St Pat
29-10-2014, 10:46 PM
The fighting Irish spirit is back with a bit of style to boot. How long have we been waiting? Kudos to Stubbs for turning things round... Just get more wins

TowerHibs
29-10-2014, 10:50 PM
The fighting Irish spirit is back with a bit of style to boot. How long have we been waiting? Kudos to Stubbs for turning things round... Just get more wins

I agree. Although no idea why you continuely spout the Irish nonsense and find it totally irrelevant to today's modern hibs/society. Grow up

Winning games becomes a habit....as a club this is where we must strive too.

Nice to see us pass the ball about though.

Sir David Gray
29-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Obviously not but Sunday and tonight were two games we should've win and it's just frustrating

If we play every week at the level that we did on Sunday and last night then there's not many games that we won't win.

The effort's there, the skill's there, the team spirit's there. In my opinion, we're two or three players away from having a really good squad.

I'm gutted about how both games ended but on Sunday we were playing against a team that's sitting top of our league and defending an unbeaten start to the season and last night we were playing against a side that's sitting just a point from the top of the division above us.

I'm very encouraged by recent performances and we're actually starting to look like a competitive football team again.

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2014, 12:32 AM

Oxley ........... English
Gray ............ Scottish
Fontaine ....... English
Hanlon ......... Scottish
Stevenson .... Scottish
Craig ............ Scottish
Handling ....... Scottish
Allan ............ Scottish
Cummings .... Scottish
Malonga ........ French / Congolese

Kennedy ..... Scottish
Harris ......... Scottish
Stanton ...... Scottish

Stubbs ....... English

Aye .... a team just oozing Irish fighting spirit.

California-Hibs
30-10-2014, 02:10 AM
Wow, the 'let's extinguish everything Irish because of what Celtic have done with it' brigade are out in force. It's some of you lot that need to grow up, and infact show some respect! Wether you like it or not Hibs were formed by IRISH (theres that word again) immigrants. Bloody deal with it! Go on yourself St Pat, I agree with you, the fighting Irish spirit is most certainly back! :flag:

Forza Fred
30-10-2014, 02:34 AM
Wow, the 'let's extinguish everything Irish because of what Celtic have done with it' brigade are out in force. It's some of you lot that need to grow up, and infact show some respect! Wether you like it or not Hibs were formed by IRISH (theres that word again) immigrants. Bloody deal with it! Go on yourself St Pat, I agree with you, the fighting Irish spirit is most certainly back! :flag:

What about the fighting Scottish spirit?

Personally I don't care where it comes from as long as we have some!

California-Hibs
30-10-2014, 04:55 AM
What about the fighting Scottish spirit?

Personally I don't care where it comes from as long as we have some!

Yep, fighting Scottish spirit, fighting French spirit, whatever, I'm the same, as long as we have some.

The guy used a well known phrase 'The fighting Irish spirit' yet people feel the need to jump down the guys throat because the Irish subject came onto the message board. This is where I have a problem. I blame Celtic mostly, as they've posioned so many Hibs supporters views and emotions to a major part of our club history, which is Ireland based. Like it or lump it.

Phil D. Rolls
30-10-2014, 05:03 AM

We got any Irish players left?

Yeah cos Fenlons team had plenty of fighting Irish spirit.:rolleyes:

I get the sentiment but its never been a phrase associated with Hibs. Getting a bit fed up of people rewriting history to suit their own dewy eyed notion of what present day Edinburgh is about.

Im proud of the clubs entire story, from isolation to integration to leading the way. All done without rancour or bigotry. The plastic paddies on here go against everything Hibs are about.

Yep, fighting Scottish spirit, fighting French spirit, whatever, I'm the same, as long as we have some.

The guy used a well known phrase 'The fighting Irish spirit' yet people feel the need to jump down the guys throat because the Irish subject came onto the message board. This is where I have a problem. I blame Celtic mostly, as they've posioned so many Hibs supporters views and emotions to a major part of our club history, which is Ireland based. Like it or lump it.

Hes got previous for stirring the sectarian ****, and although amusing, is also a bit of an embarrassment.

Kato
30-10-2014, 06:56 AM
I get the sentiment but its never been a phrase associated with Hibs.

Are you sure about that?

The plastic paddies on here go against everything Hibs are about.

Who arer the "plastic paddies" and who made you the arbiter of what Hibs are about?

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2014, 07:34 AM

Every post confirms exactly what i said about you weeks ago.

Keith_M
30-10-2014, 07:40 AM
And with all that squabbling, hibs.net is back to normal

:greengrin

Bostonhibby
30-10-2014, 07:50 AM
We got any Irish players left?

Yeah cos Fenlons team had plenty of fighting Irish spirit.:rolleyes:

I get the sentiment but its never been a phrase associated with Hibs. Getting a bit fed up of people rewriting history to suit their own dewy eyed notion of what present day Edinburgh is about.

Im proud of the clubs entire story, from isolation to integration to leading the way. All done without rancour or bigotry. The plastic paddies on here go against everything Hibs are about.

Hes got previous for stirring the sectarian ****, and although amusing, is also a bit of an embarrassment.

Agree all of this, and am delighted to see the fighting spirit of the fans finally working its way through to the team.

Phil D. Rolls
30-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Are you sure about that?

Who arer the "plastic paddies" and who made you the arbiter of what Hibs are about?

You did, by the looks of it.

We've had plenty of discussion about the topic on here, I don't think my views are that out of line with other people's.

As for "fighting Irish" it's not something I've ever heard used to describe Hibs.

worcesterhibby
30-10-2014, 08:00 AM

Seriously if that's your attitude, then I suggest you go and support Celtic to Chelsea…otherwise you are going to be disappointed. Hibs are Hibs…if you can't enjoy it when we play well, score three goals, fight to the end and do ourselves proud with a fine display of attacking football against a team who are doing well in the league above us..then you are supporting the wrong team.

Kato
30-10-2014, 08:06 AM

We've had plenty of discussion about the topic on here, I don't think my views are that out of line with other people's.

As for "fighting Irish" it's not something I've ever heard used to describe Hibs.

OK I never seen that discussion. Calling someone a "plastic paddy" when they might be just a "paddy" is as sectarian a statement as any.

Phil D. Rolls
30-10-2014, 08:08 AM
OK I never seen that discussion. Calling someone a "plastic paddy" when they might be just a "paddy" is as sectarian a statement as any.

Ok then. I'm sure you've got a point.

AndyM_1875
30-10-2014, 08:30 AM

The fighting prowess of the YLT or CCS on the other hand......:devil:

Phil D. Rolls
30-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Thats one argument I'm staying out of.

heretoday
30-10-2014, 09:09 AM
For the first time in ages I'm looking forward to our next game. What a transformation in the team. Skill, grit and determination in abundance. Great to see.

Well done Alan Stubbs:not worth

Absolutely right! Look out Cowdenbeath!

Hibernia&Alba
30-10-2014, 09:23 AM

Hibs class.

I like this post :-)

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2014, 12:41 PM

I have never met a Hibby who is uncomfortable with the clubs roots. The clubs origins are there for all to see in its name, its colours and its badge.

But for me and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of our support Hibs have evolved over the years into a Scottish football club .... Nobody is forgetting Hibs roots, least of all me. .... But we don't want to go down the road of our western neighbours with their misty eyed 'Oh to be in the old country' drivel. Anything that smells of that should and will be jumped on so long as I post on here.

Kato
30-10-2014, 01:04 PM
I have never met a Hibby who is uncomfortable with the clubs roots. The clubs origins are there for all to see in its name, its colours and its badge.

But for me and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of our support Hibs have evolved over the years into a Scottish football club .... Nobody is forgetting Hibs roots, least of all me. .... But we don't want to go down the road of our western neighbours with their misty eyed 'Oh to be in the old country' drivel. Anything that smells of that should and will be jumped on so long as I post on here.

Problem is some people see the word "Irish" but read the term "IRA".

As someone else said this is because of the tunnel vision of Celtic fans, who for some reason see violent republicanism as the best way to represent their clubs "irishness".

TowerHibs
30-10-2014, 04:03 PM

As someone else said this is because of the tunnel vision of Celtic fans, who for some reason see violent republicanism as the best way to represent their clubs "irishness".
Well that's a first time I have thought about the IRA in about 10 years...no joke

No need in the reference to the irish part in the first post of GSP and almost all his posts have an uncomfortable tone connected to them. I would say if there I even one chance of "irishness" linking our support and club to sectarianism then that's 1% too much. Feel the post is rightly being stamped on.

As someone said above, our history is there in our name, colour, badge and morals....The constantly need GStPat has to reference our irish connection feels to me that his intentions are far more sinister to the 10s of thousands of Hibees that respect our cherish our roots

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2014, 05:23 PM

I get what you are saying Kato, but for me that's not the issue. Even if the IRA thing didn't exist I would not want to see encouragement of a school of thought, even by implication, that puts Hibs and its supporters into a situation where we are looked upon as a club open only to certain sections of the community, or favoured by a certain section of the community... or even a club that looks backward instead of forwards.

If people want to use terms like fighting Irish spirit then use it when describing the founders of the club who overcame poverty and prejudice to make the club what it became, that is entirely appropriate and something to be proud of. To use it in the context of Wednesday night in the mind of a casual observer alludes to a point of view that could be interpreted as saying Hibs are an Irish club and that's how its supporters see it.

I know I harp ( no pun intended ) on about this stuff whenever it comes up .... but I want wee boys and girls growing up in Edinburgh and wider Scotland to choose which club to support for any other reason than because one is seen as more or less Scottish. For people who think their Irishness or Irish ancestry is so important that it should be reflected in the club they support to the extent that it can barely be identified as a Scottish club, they know where to go.

Me ..... I'm happy to support a Scottish football club called Hibernian.

Ray_
31-10-2014, 06:30 AM
I agree 100% with you. To be honest, I've been saying for weeks now that we look good and its a matter of time before the team clicks.

All I meant that if its 0-0 after 70mins on Saturday,this place will be houchin of shouts of "disgrace" "cowards" "embarrassing" etc

No harm or digs intended, just the modern day fickle fan.

Saying that,still think we need to be much more ruthless and unfussy playing the "smaller" teams

It was the same way back in the sixties, but I suppose back then they were the modern fan of their day :greengrin

Glorious St Pat
31-10-2014, 06:46 AM
I agree. Although no idea why you continuely spout the Irish nonsense and find it totally irrelevant to today's modern hibs/society. Grow up

It's a phrase for Gods sake that accurately described our initial fighting spirit. Still relevant as a phrase today.

Glorious St Pat
31-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Well that's a first time I have thought about the IRA in about 10 years...no joke

No need in the reference to the irish part in the first post of GSP and almost all his posts have an uncomfortable tone connected to them. I would say if there I even one chance of "irishness" linking our support and club to sectarianism then that's 1% too much. Feel the post is rightly being stamped on.

As someone said above, our history is there in our name, colour, badge and morals....The constantly need GStPat has to reference our irish connection feels to me that his intentions are far more sinister to the 10s of thousands of Hibees that respect our cherish our roots

Sinister? Please! Like my branch, who wish to never forget our roots and aim to honour Canon Hannan next year, there is nothing sinister here. To the poster who said I will stamp out any reference to Ireland - I shake my head.

FranckSuzy
31-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Sinister? Please! Like my branch, who wish to never forget our roots and aim to honour Canon Hannan next year, there is nothing sinister here. To the poster who said I will stamp out any reference to Ireland - I shake my head.

IIRC, a branch member suggested a trip to Ballingarry, Co. Limerick, as part of Hibernian's 140th anniversary celebrations. After speaking to the Secretary of the branch to confirm, this was never actioned, was only one of many ideas put forward and nothing has been decided as yet.

Oh, and the roots you mention are not specifically Irish, IMHO. They are more values that we hold dear: diversity, inclusion and equality, to name just a few :aok:

Phil D. Rolls
31-10-2014, 10:03 AM

Get over yourself. You come in here looking for reasons to be insulted IMO.

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2014, 11:34 AM

I hope that wasn't aimed at me G StP .......... There is not a single post on here where anybody says that, including mine. If Hibs decided to erect a statue of Canon Hannan outside the main stand tomorrow I would applaud them for it. That's celebrating your history.

But, there is a difference between celebrating your history and refusing to move on from it, or worse refusing to accept that it has moved on .... that's why folk like me, and I'm not alone by the looks of this thread, get jumpy when terms like fighting Irish spirit get used to describe a performance by the club, where as far as I am aware at this time from the owner to the tea lady we have one Irish employee, Paul Heffernan .... who didn't even play on the night.

I am a living embodiment of Hibs in a way. I have Irish roots. I was born in Edinburgh and I lived in Leith. I am proud of my McGowan Irish ancestry and will more than happily acknowledge it ..... but I am 100% Scottish in my outlook and in the way I see myself in day to day life, and that's how I see Hibs.
:saltireflag Like this even.

marinello59
31-10-2014, 11:45 AM
IIRC, a branch member suggested a trip to Ballingarry, Co. Limerick, as part of Hibernian's 140th anniversary celebrations. After speaking to the Secretary of the branch to confirm, this was never actioned, was only one of many ideas put forward and nothing has been decided as yet.

Oh, and the roots you mention are not specifically Irish, IMHO. They are more values that we hold dear: diversity, inclusion and equality, to name just a few :aok:

Well said.

Dashing Bob S
31-10-2014, 12:24 PM

Personally I don't think as a football club we do hold those, or any other values dear. (Though they aren't bad ones so maybe we should.) That's the kind of PR stuff clubs like to come out with.

I think what all we hold dear is entertaining, winning football, and we're halfway there right now.

If people want to use this as an excuse to celebrate our Irishness and Scottishness or anything elseness, then good luck to them, although there are plenty more appropriate threads to bring that into it. The roots of Hibs and their home and what country and city they play in are well known. This thread is about the roots our resurgence.

Relived that we are moving forward as a club and playing decent football again. I know we've gotten used to squabbling over the better part of the last decade, but it would be nice if we could just appreciate this progress with some unity.

By the way you all know nothing about football, and I'm a bigger Hibby that ANYBODY on this board.

Leith Mo
31-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Personally, the roots of our Club (regardless of religion or family background) are in the name: HIBERNIAN (originally "Hibernians" Latin for "Irish" for those non-Latin scholars amongst us). Sometimes when I read stuff on here I feel people choose to forget that and have their pet hate posters (Glorious St Pat, probably myself as well for some on here) and let their own sentiments come to the surface - defending the past (at least we have a past worthy of defending) is seen as being sectarian because of some misinterpreted "Irish angle." When I say "misinterpreted" I mean those who for some reason choose to immediately criticise in no uncertain terms posters who choose to celebrate our history yet for those posters it is still important, yet their "opponents" use the rod of "sectarianism" to beat that person's back. We who choose to remain proud of our roots do not live in the past -history is a living breathing thing which affects today and the future every bit as much as the past. For that I choose to celebrate it, whilst, like GSP being proud and non-discriminatory in welcoming a Club like Hibernian open to all.

I've read a few things on here that I disagree with, yet the venom directed at certain posters who dare to phrase things in an emotional manner is out of order and I suspect at times does have some sort of deeper background to it. The phrase "Fighting Irish" is a reflection for me of the name of ALL our Club and could easily be substituted with "Fighting Hibernians" for example.

I have no time for bigotry in any form whatsoever (as an aside the founding fathers of the "Fenian Society" were two Irish-American Presbyterians so to be called a "Fenian" as a derogatory term for the Catholic faith is another indication of the ignorance of bigots whatever their shade).

However, get off the guy's back - a good Hibee who is proud of our Club, who is proud of his roots and the Clubs, who is proud of his faith?

Well, if that's an illegal offence lock me up now.

Phil D. Rolls
31-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Well said Mo. There's a fine though between being passionate and bigoted. Some of the threads have gone too far - the one about Rowbotham for example. I found it ironic that once the topic was off the main board some people very quickly lost interest.

Hibernia&Alba
31-10-2014, 02:43 PM
1,Let's think of ways we can more people of all backgrounds to ER. We have empty seats that need filling.

2, Of course the origins of the club are important and should be celebrated. Indeed, the concept of what immigrant communities can add to society is reflected in the Hibs story, and what was true of the Irish in the nineteenth century is true of the diversity we see in cosmopolitan contemporary Edinburgh.

3, Some fans understandably become nervous when issues of identity are raised, worried the all inclusive nature of the club may be compromised, and the blight of sectarianism in Scotland requires sensitivity be shown in this regard. Hearts have their hardcore of bigots, and we mustn't ever be a mirror image of that, let alone the Old Firm.

4, Hibs fans will each take their own meaning from identity. For some the Irish connection remains vital, for others it's irrelevant, which is fine; each to their own. Provided the support continues to value all equally and avoids the kind of religious/political pre-requirements found in Glasgow, we have nothing to worry about. We can then each celebrate being part of the club in our own way, not needing to consider whether we conform on issues unrelated to football.

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2014, 02:53 PM
1,Let's think of ways we can more people of all backgrounds to ER. We have empty seats that need filling.

2, Of course the origins of the club are important and should be celebrated. Indeed, the concept of what immigrant communities can add to society is reflected in the Hibs story, and what was true of the Irish in the nineteenth century is true of the diversity we see in cosmopolitan contemporary Edinburgh.

3, Some fans understandably become nervous when issues of identity are raised, worried the all inclusive nature of the club may be compromised, and the blight of sectarianism in Scotland requires sensitivity be shown in this regard. Hearts have their hardcore of bigots, and we mustn't ever be a mirror image of that, let alone the Old Firm.

4, Hibs fans will each take their own meaning from identity. For some the Irish connection remains vital, for others it's irrelevant, which is fine; each to their own. Provided the support continues to value all equally and avoids the kind of religious/political pre-requirements found in Glasgow, we have nothing to worry about. We can then each celebrate being part of the club in our own way, not needing to consider whether we conform on issues unrelated to football.

Great post.

Robinho08
31-10-2014, 03:03 PM
So far, so good. Really encouraging stuff.

Credit to LD, AS and the rest of recent recruits.

Glorious St Pat
31-10-2014, 03:09 PM

That branch member was me and you're right, nothing has been decided yet as regards a celebration of our 140 years.

Bostonhibby
31-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Some interesting stuff on here. I am proud of our roots and how we have evolved into something that isn't celtc. We are a progressive club.

On the fighting Irish point I am pretty sure its what some of the very early hibernian fans were nicknamed by the press of the day because of their "exuberant" responses to some of the decisions that used to go against us when the establishment really didn't want to encourage us. I don't have access to the library just now but I'd say its referred to in book 1 or 2 of Alan Lugtons masterpieces on our history.

That we managed to survive that era then thrive is a real source of pride in our history.

Golden Bear
31-10-2014, 03:19 PM
So far, so good. Really encouraging stuff.

Credit to LD, AS and the rest of recent recruits.

:agree:

Now that's the kind of 'fitba talk I like.

Glorious St Pat
31-10-2014, 03:28 PM
The phrase 'fighting Irish' perfectly fits our own history as the club faced discrimination, prejudice and intolerance from many Establishment forces and Scottish society at large. To see signs 'Irish not welcome' was common and the diaspora holed up in overcrowded filthy tenants - see the East End of Glasgow and our own Cowgate or Little Ireland. The struggle for acceptance fuelled the 'fighting Irish' spirit. It was also an expression against anti Catholic sentiment in the 19th and early 20th century.

That phrase is still relevant today as our Hibernians of 2014 struggle for acceptance once more into the top echelons of the Scottish football. To imply other connotations to the phrase is wrong IMO.

AndyM_1875
31-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Some interesting stuff on here. I am proud of our roots and how we have evolved into something that isn't celtc. We are a progressive club.

On the fighting Irish point I am pretty sure its what some of the very early hibernian fans were nicknamed by the press of the day because of their "exuberant" responses to some of the decisions that used to go against us when the establishment really didn't want to encourage us. I don't have access to the library just now but I'd say its referred to in book 1 or 2 of Alan Lugtons masterpieces on our history.

That we managed to survive that era then thrive is a real source of pride in our history.

You certainly have to bear in mind that the early Hibs support was almost entirely pulled from the Irish emigrant community. In the main they were labourers, navvies and cheap unskilled labour. many of them would have been the men who built the Forth Bridge in 1885-1890 or they shoveled coal (or worse!) for a living.

After 1892 the Hibs support would start to change, the local Leith community and working class folk (at least those who had no time for the nonsense of religious prejudice) would have started to embrace the club against a background of Establishment Edinburgh prejudice which itself would have little time for the Hearts but even less time for Hibs.

My own great grandfather was an East Lothian farm labourer (neither catholic nor Irish) who moved to Edinburgh in search of work and lived in Drum Terrace working at the Edinburgh & Leith Gas Company (in Baltic Street?) as a gas stoker. The Hibs were his local team and he supported them.
But there are probably thousands of stories like that.

CropleyWasGod
31-10-2014, 03:36 PM
The phrase 'fighting Irish' perfectly fits our own history as the club faced discrimination, prejudice and intolerance from many Establishment forces and Scottish society at large. To see signs 'Irish not welcome' was common and the diaspora holed up in overcrowded filthy tenants - see the East End of Glasgow and our own Cowgate or Little Ireland. The struggle for acceptance fuelled the 'fighting Irish' spirit. It was also an expression against anti Catholic sentiment in the 19th and early 20th century.

That phrase is still relevant today as our Hibernians of 2014 struggle for acceptance once more into the top echelons of the Scottish football. To imply other connotations to the phrase is wrong IMO.

It may fit our history, but not our present, Shirley?

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Personally, the roots of our Club (regardless of religion or family background) are in the name: HIBERNIAN (originally "Hibernians" Latin for "Irish" for those non-Latin scholars amongst us). Sometimes when I read stuff on here I feel people choose to forget that and have their pet hate posters (Glorious St Pat, probably myself as well for some on here) and let their own sentiments come to the surface - defending the past (at least we have a past worthy of defending) is seen as being sectarian because of some misinterpreted "Irish angle." When I say "misinterpreted" I mean those who for some reason choose to immediately criticise in no uncertain terms posters who choose to celebrate our history yet for those posters it is still important, yet their "opponents" use the rod of "sectarianism" to beat that person's back. We who choose to remain proud of our roots do not live in the past -history is a living breathing thing which affects today and the future every bit as much as the past. For that I choose to celebrate it, whilst, like GSP being proud and non-discriminatory in welcoming a Club like Hibernian open to all.

I've read a few things on here that I disagree with, yet the venom directed at certain posters who dare to phrase things in an emotional manner is out of order and I suspect at times does have some sort of deeper background to it. The phrase "Fighting Irish" is a reflection for me of the name of ALL our Club and could easily be substituted with "Fighting Hibernians" for example.

I have no time for bigotry in any form whatsoever (as an aside the founding fathers of the "Fenian Society" were two Irish-American Presbyterians so to be called a "Fenian" as a derogatory term for the Catholic faith is another indication of the ignorance of bigots whatever their shade).

However, get off the guy's back - a good Hibee who is proud of our Club, who is proud of his roots and the Clubs, who is proud of his faith?

Well, if that's an illegal offence lock me up now.

A very well thought out post Leith Mo. I would agree that there is a danger that people with my point of view on this subject begin to look like the other side of the coin ... that being folk who would like to bury the cubs past, though I could never interpret any post I have seen on the subject to say the poster wanted that. Whatever the case I can assure you and G St P that I personally would never have anything to do with such a move.

IMO the history of Hibs is not only important in a football sense, but also in a social sense. The hard work and determination of the clubs founders to gain acceptance in the face of poverty and discrimination is an example that can be followed today. The fact that the club was decades ahead of some other clubs in this country in shelving the idea that religious preference should be a barrier to involvement with it is something of which we can rightly be proud.

All that I want to ensure is that we don't confuse our history with our present .... history is the study of the path of evolution, it never helps to become stuck in it. My biggest fear is that we fall into that trap. If taken too far an over emphasis of the clubs Irishness in its current incarnation will drive kids with no family background of support for either club straight into the arms of Heart of Midlothian. Because I guarantee you that if we turn our Irish past into an Irish present Hearts will lap up the chance to promote themselves as the natural club of choice to reflect your Scottish identity .... if not the club, their fans certainly will.

Your last bit said .. "A good Hibee who is proud of our club, who is proud of his roots and the clubs, who is proud of his faith?" ( question mark noted ) These things are fine ...... but it is a long time since these things were what you took into account before deciding to become a Hibs supporter ..... the club is a long way down the road from the time where you could point at one of its supporters and be sure he or she had Irish ancestry or for that matter was a Catholic. The club and it's support no longer reflects such a demographic and as a result we draw followers from all sections of the community.

Wanting to preserve and encourage that scenario is not anti Irish and certainly not anti Catholic ...... It is pro Hibs.

GGTTH

Phil D. Rolls
31-10-2014, 04:23 PM

I thought that one of the things about Hibs was that they knew they'd never get anywhere with that attitude. Instead the clubs philosophy was to be above the people that were bringing then down.

Bostonhibby
31-10-2014, 04:38 PM
I thought that one of the things about Hibs was that they knew they'd never get anywhere with that attitude. Instead the clubs philosophy was to be above the people that were bringing then down.

Yes it was and to get on despite them. A good example was the early attempts to stop us joining the first division even though we won the second. Took it on the chin, won again and embarassed them into letting one of the more succesful and best supported clubs at the time!

Long suffering
31-10-2014, 05:18 PM
listen to the roar of 'Hibees' from the east on the last 5 seconds of the BBC highlights after we've just been knocked out..... fantastic. If the team show us good football like they have been then the crowds will flock back. Keep it up Hibs, wonderful to watch. :flag:

AndyM_1875
31-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Yes it was and to get on despite them. A good example was the early attempts to stop us joining the first division even though we won the second. Took it on the chin, won again and embarassed them into letting one of the more succesful and best supported clubs at the time!

That was 1894 and we should have gone straight up but back then clubs had to be "elected".
Despite support from Hearts, the team that didn't want us to be promoted was Celtic as they didn't want another "Irish" club in the top league and they roped their pals Rangers in to vote against us.

Old Firm.

Glorious St Pat
31-10-2014, 05:36 PM
It may fit our history, but not our present, Shirley?

Please remove the comfort blanket and open your eyes with archbishop after archbishop flagging up an anti-Irish/Catholic sentiment in society. T is real, underhand and needs to be stamped out

Peevemor
31-10-2014, 06:09 PM
My dad's grandparents were Irish immigrants who were involved with Hibs. They lived near the stadium and my great grandmother darned the Hibs' jerseys. Supporting Hibs runs in my family and is as much part of my cultural make up as being born in Scotland and having a Breton wife and daughters.

I don't shout about Hibs (or my own) Irish roots but I'm proud enough to defend them should the need arise.
That some people don't care one way or another is fair enough, but I don't understand anyone trying to actively play down the club's Irish origins.

Glorious St Pat
31-10-2014, 06:25 PM

'Chicken curry'....

marinello59
31-10-2014, 06:56 PM
My dad's grandparents were Irish immigrants who were involved with Hibs. They lived near the stadium and my great grandmother darned the Hibs' jerseys. Supporting Hibs runs in my family and is as much part of my cultural make up as being born in Scotland and having a Breton wife and daughters.

I don't shout about Hibs (or my own) Irish roots but I'm proud enough to defend them should the need arise.
That some people don't care one way or another is fair enough, but I don't understand anyone trying to actively play down the club's Irish origins.

That would be a bit hard when we are called Hibernian.:greengrin
I don't think anybody is doing that, or I would hope they aren't I don't mind the fighting Irish comment myself but the reaction Glorious is getting is maybe more due to his recent input on other threads.

Glorious St Pat
31-10-2014, 07:13 PM

Brilliant post and hopefully a wake up call to the thistle and kilt brigade who use the current situation to undermine and disregard the struggle that our forefathers (ie our Hibernian custodians) that face and attempted to overcome. Ban me.... But is it nice to be called a Fenian ******* as a supporter of Hibernian fc? To those, that haven't experienced it, get real but this is reality for some.

DaveF
31-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Brilliant post and hopefully a wake up call to the thistle and kilt brigade who use the current situation to undermine and disregard the struggle that our forefathers (ie our Hibernian custodians) that face and attempted to overcome. Ban me.... But is it nice to be called a Fenian ******* as a supporter of Hibernian fc? To those, that haven't experienced it, get real but this is reality for some.

I've experienced it plenty of times (as has anyone who has been to Ibrox), and have to say I got over pretty much as soon as it happened. I wasn't mortally offended by it. Name calling at fitba - who'd have thought it eh.

I don't think Hibernian FC fans will ever lose touch with their Irish roots. Not with the Glorious St Pat's branch to look after it .........

Hibernia&Alba
31-10-2014, 07:22 PM

That isn't very helpful, GSP. There needn't be division on this. As I said earlier in the thread, there is no contradiction between celebrating the club's heritage and welcoming all, regardless of background or outlook, IMO. The value of diversity is exemplified in the Hibs story.

CropleyWasGod
31-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Please remove the comfort blanket and open your eyes with archbishop after archbishop flagging up an anti-Irish/Catholic sentiment in society. T is real, underhand and needs to be stamped out

Comfort blanket?

Your previous post referred to Hibs, as a club, experiencing "discrimination, prejudice and intolerance", in the way that it did in its early years, in modern times. That was what I questioned, not your comments about anti-Catholicism in general.

truehibernian
31-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Comfort blanket?

Your previous post referred to Hibs, as a club, experiencing "discrimination, prejudice and intolerance", in the way that it did in its early years, in modern times. That was what I questioned, not your comments about anti-Catholicism in general.

:agree:

I grew up in the Southside and Tollcross, supported Hibs through my father and grandfather......but the Irish aspect of the club was just a lovely part of our history, not something I would dwell on at all as a youngster/youth.......Hibs were a way of life as a teenager, the supporters strangely enough, not the team, were what made me fall in love with Hibs. I'd look at other fans of other clubs and they just didn't have the verve and swagger of Hibs fans. There was always a pride in supporting Hibs - the team as I say were not that great, but going to Easter Road was like a youthful pilgrimage back then. Touching the gates as you walked in and out the East, the cigar smoke, the 'industrial language', the clothes, the walk up into town after the game (the gauntlet).......Irish, Catholic......sectarianism........seriously wasn't part of our mindset, nor will it ever be.

Talked about it in the pub recently with friends and we still genuinely love Hibs just........well just because. Religion and roots.....not for me, I just love the fact that the club I support takes me on a rollercoaster of emotions each and every season yet I can never walk away (albeit I did threaten to last season). The team and the supporters, young and old, they just always make me proud to say I'm a Hibs supporter.

Blaster
31-10-2014, 07:41 PM
As a person who dislikes religious discussion in general life, I support hibs as a Scottish club who welcome anyone regardless of religion, race or whatever.

We need to respect our roots and I think we do but we must remain a non religious club. Some people want to live in the dark ages. If you are one of them go and support a more relevant team. There are at least 2 in Scotland to choose from

marinello59
31-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Brilliant post and hopefully a wake up call to the thistle and kilt brigade who use the current situation to undermine and disregard the struggle that our forefathers (ie our Hibernian custodians) that face and attempted to overcome. Ban me.... But is it nice to be called a Fenian ******* as a supporter of Hibernian fc? To those, the hat haven't experienced it, get real but this is reality for some.

The thistle and kilt brigade? Any need for that? Or does your love of all things Irish means you are generally scornful of all things Scots?
I've been called a Fenian B more times than I can remember and my response was generally to agree that I was and proud of it.
I'm obviously not as gloriously Catholic as you though.

leggeto
31-10-2014, 08:30 PM

Good buzz about the place on Wednesday watching that,what a difference when we come out the traps running straight from the off,even when going behind you just knew we had another goal in us,played utd off the park,

Leith Mo
31-10-2014, 08:44 PM
"And if, if you know your history...". GGTTH. And being from my neck of the woods "Chicken Curry"

DaveF
31-10-2014, 09:05 PM
The thistle and kilt brigade? Any need for that? Or does your love of all things Irish means you are generally scornful of all things Scots?
I've been called a Fenian B more times than I can remember and my response was generally to agree that I was and proud of it.
I'm obviously not as gloriously Catholic as you though.

:tsk tsk: A hundred hail mary's for you, young man.

Cameron1875
31-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Can we not be Scottish and Irish without resulting to bigotry? :dunno:

Lucius Apuleius
31-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Well I guess being a thistle and kilt type Proddy who has also been called a feinan b too many times in life to worry about, supporting Hibs is obviously beyond me. Saddened.

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2014, 10:00 PM

What a steaming pile of rubbish ..... have you not read the other posts on this thread, especially mine. You seem utterly determined to take 2 + 2 and make 5.

As for being called a Fenian B by current buns or anybody else ..... big whoop, I doubt there's a Hibby over 10 on or off this board who hasn't experienced that ..... do what I do, laugh it off and walk away. Usually ... in fact invariably ... the folk calling you that have no idea what the hell a fenian is ... they just ken that the Rangers dinnae like them.

Eyrie
31-10-2014, 10:40 PM
I'm a Scottish atheist - am I still allowed to support Hibs?

The answer of course is yes because our origins are Irish but much of our history is like our present and our future - ie Scottish but welcoming to all.

TowerHibs
31-10-2014, 10:44 PM

:brickwall

sums up the majority of your posts on here.

Do you want some ketchup for the chip on your shoulder????? (No deliberate references to potatoes intended)

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2014, 10:51 PM
:brickwall

sums up the majority of your posts on here.

Do you want some ketchup for the chip on your shoulder????? (No deliberate references to potatoes intended)

:agree: http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

The Harp Awakes
31-10-2014, 11:50 PM

As the starter of this thread I feel I have to respond to your post. My OP was purely about the spirit the team has shown on the pitch recently which is heartening to see.

However I think your reply to GSP is at best tactless and at worst provocative and has led to the usual bickering.

'Fighting Irish Spirit' is a commonly used term and it sounds to me you that you are very sensitive to the word 'Irish' as you refer to it as 'nonsense'. Why? 'Irishman'and 'Hibernian' are synonymous. You are skating on thin ground.

McIntosh
01-11-2014, 12:10 AM
I see nothing Irish or Catholic about the club currently. It is a non-sectarian Scottish football club with Irish roots in the nineteenth century.

NAE NOOKIE
01-11-2014, 01:00 AM
As the starter of this thread I feel I have to respond to your post. My OP was purely about the spirit the team has shown on the pitch recently which is heartening to see.

However I think your reply to GSP is at best tactless and at worst provocative and has led to the usual bickering.

'Fighting Irish Spirit' is a commonly used term and it sounds to me you that you are very sensitive to the word 'Irish' as you refer to it as 'nonsense'. Why? 'Irishman'and 'Hibernian' are synonymous. You are skating on thin ground.

The history of Hibs is synonymous with Irishmen and Ireland. The current Ownership, players and supporters of the club are not, apart from the probability that Hibs are likely to have a larger percentage of Catholic supporters with an Irish background than Hearts do, purely as a result of some families having long standing attachment to the club going back to its early years.

I have never seen the phrase "fighting Irish spirit" used to sum up a Hibs performance in my near 40 years of going to games. Hibs were formed by Irishmen and God bless em for doing it ...... but we have not been an Irish football club for a hundred years, when membership of the CYMS stopped being a requirement to play for it. The fact that the club was formed in and has played for its entire history in Edinburgh surely makes it a Scottish football club anyway.

As I have already said. As far as I'm concerned the club can ( probably should ) erect a statue of Canon Hannan outside the main stand and fly a Tricolour if they want, so long as its superseded by a Saltire on a higher pole.

Hibs was founded by Irishmen, that is a historical fact that I have never heard any Hibby say they are embarrassed about, but we are a Scottish club and our history should remain just that, our history ..... not our present. It seems to me that in recent times there has been a section of the clubs support who want to emphasise and promote an Irish Catholic identity for the club in the modern era. The vast majority of Hibbies who are perfectly happy with the club as it stands now do not want it to go down a path ( no matter how well intentioned the folk promoting it might be ) that will risk in any way re opening old divisions. You know exactly what I mean.

To accuse anybody with that point of view of being anti Irish is to entirely to miss the point that I'm willing to bet 95% of our support understands perfectly.

Mr White
01-11-2014, 05:24 AM
I see nothing Irish or Catholic about the club currently. It is a non-sectarian Scottish football club with Irish roots in the nineteenth century.

:agree: 100%.

I'm half Irish and I was raised a catholic but I'm really uneasy about people wanting to tie hibs or any aspect of sport to religion. There's no need and it always ends in unnecessary argument and ill feeling. But then that's religion all over imo- utterly pointless and divisive when wielded by intolerant idiots with an eye-for-an-eye mentality and an axe to grind.

As for irish identity, I don't think any hibs fans take that too far these days? it's a history to be proud of but isn't really relevant today for many. For those who do still strongly identify with that side of the club's past I don't see there's very much wrong with the term fighting irish spirit- it's fairly innocuous no?

Brizo
01-11-2014, 06:16 AM
I think the current club custodians have struck the right note in regards to our history. Under STFs ownership they reintroduced the harp and owner, board and manager are always represented at historical events such as the Dan McMichael gravestone one. The club website also has a prominent history section which recounts our Coogate origins in Lugtonesque detail. This is all very different from previous owners and boards who imho did their best to sweep our origins under the carpet.

As a Southside and Inch brought up green grape (now semi lapsed) im not offended by the term "fighting Irish spirit" but feel its more relevant to a 19th century match report in one of Lugtons books. The club means different things to different people which demonstrates how wide and diverse we are (far more than the OF and I would also suggest the Hertz). While GSP may not be to everyones taste he is part of the " broad church" which makes us what we are today.

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 06:29 AM

You've got a wider agenda here.

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 06:37 AM

Right, it's clear you have no interest in promoting diversity at the club. You are surely a massive embarrassment to most Catholic supporting Hibs fans.

I think you need to get out and live life more.

Yeah, yeah, all those impartial sources like Archbishops, and the Catholic Herald - or whatever it's called.

The question begs asking - if it's so bad, why are you still here? Is it because you'd get as much attention as the local branch of the Flat Earth Society, if you we're living in Ireland?

This has nothing to do with Hibs, oppression, freedom, or religion. It's all about your need to be somebody interesting, and I'm sure even your closest friends can see through that.

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2014, 06:45 AM

I think there has been a massive amount of tact and diplomacy on this thread.

You are a bunch of **** stirrers - END OF.

over the line
01-11-2014, 08:13 AM
The phrase "fighting Irish" seems to have stirred up quite a hornets nest doesn't it?

Can I just add my two penneth: Irish, not Irish, used to be Irish, Irish beginnings, its dependent on your point of view and open to debate isn't it? I'm not bothered, don't think it matters personally.

What I do take issue with re the phrase "fighting Irish", is the word "fighting". To my knowledge no one actually had a fight did they? So I think you have all missed the point massively!!! ;):)

(Unless of course pointless bickering counts as a fight nowadays, in which case I stand corrected).