PDA

View Full Version : Best we've played in ages.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Thought yesterday was the best we've played in a few years, especially against Hearts. Anyone else think so?

weonlywon6-2
27-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Possibly,hence why i have bought tickets for the United game.on Wednesday!

Pretty Boy
27-10-2014, 04:10 PM
We looked like a football team for 75 minutes which is a vast improvement on recent years. A wee bit inexperience cost us after the sending off imo.

Onwards and upwards.

Allant1981
27-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Thought yesterday was the best we've played in a few years, especially against Hearts. Anyone else think so?

A few months yes, years no

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Think thats the best we've played for about 2/3 + years, IMO of course.

Northernhibee
27-10-2014, 04:21 PM

Under Butcher we were eye bleedingly bad and the last few months of Fenlon we were a bit laboured (certain that he would have kept us in the top flight though).

We're now seeing good attacking football with the ball kept on the deck. Really happy with the way things are working out for us.

HH81
27-10-2014, 04:31 PM

I was at Hibs v Killie last season and we won 3-0. They were very good that day and that is the best I have seen from Hibs in ages.

HibbyAndy
27-10-2014, 04:34 PM
Build it and they will come.

Leith_Hibee
27-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Build it and they will come.

Couldn't agree more. Get the product on the park right and the rest takes care of itself.

B.H.F.C
27-10-2014, 05:05 PM
I thought we were better at Ibrox myself. Yesterday we were the better team, undoubtedly IMO. But we didn't win and only had one goal to show for it.

oneone73
27-10-2014, 05:18 PM
I thought we were better at Ibrox myself. Yesterday we were the better team, undoubtedly IMO. But we didn't win and only had one goal to show for it.

Agree

Lago
27-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Totally agree. Very pleasing to watch

rcarter1
27-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Under Butcher we were eye bleedingly bad and the last few months of Fenlon we were a bit laboured (certain that he would have kept us in the top flight though).

We're now seeing good attacking football with the ball kept on the deck. Really happy with the way things are working out for us.

Thats putting in mildly. We were heading to a dull dull bottom 6 finish under Pat F. I remember my eyes bleeding long before Butcher came in to carry out the coup de grace.

Franck Stanton
27-10-2014, 06:17 PM

My opinion as well.

Smartie
27-10-2014, 06:51 PM
"If we keep playing like that we'll win more than we lose."

Mowbray was spot on (and iirc criticised by some on here) when he was interviewed following a home draw years ago (was it the 4-4 vs Dundee? I can't remember.)

The same applies to yesterday. Getting the result would have been ideal and it is disappointing that we didn't hold out but there is a lot to be optimistic about following that performance.

I think one of the things that is best is that for all we played well I think we can play better still.

Good OP imo.

Northernhibee
27-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Thing is, Butcher and Stubbs both wanted attacking football, but it's good to see Stubbsy's showing why TB was so out-dated. Like TB wanted we are quick to counter attack but when we get the ball it looks like we've got a plan rather than aimless hoofing which is easy for any defense worth their salt to deal with when they expect it all the time. I think we need another CB/RB (maybe someone who can play either) and perhaps a proper number 9 if El Alagui is going to be out for much longer after the transfer window but I get the feeling that we're looking nice.

We've got midfielders who can cause problems up front, an attractive style of football and a lot to look forward to. The Championship adventure has finally started, even if it was a little delayed in getting away to begin with.

The Green Goblin
27-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Agree with the op. I really enjoyed a lot of our stuff yesterday, and I haven't been able to say that for a long time.

Thought mcgeogh and allan were particularly excellent.

Well done Alan Stubbs.

Stranraer
27-10-2014, 07:51 PM

Certainly the best I've seen us play against THEM in a long long time.

SunshineOnLeith
27-10-2014, 07:53 PM
In the last month, let alone "2-3 years" we've beaten Rangers at Ibrox and thumped Livi 4-0.

Hermit Crab
27-10-2014, 11:27 PM

Yes it was, and we still,didn't win. :rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
27-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Agree with the op. I really enjoyed a lot of our stuff yesterday, and I haven't been able to say that for a long time.

Thought mcgeogh and allan were particularly excellent.

Well done Alan Stubbs.

It was stubbs poor substitutions that let hearts back in the game.

R11Loaded
28-10-2014, 12:39 AM
I think we'd win the game if Oxley is on his line when the shot is hit. He actually would catch it with ease. Lord knows why he's even that far of his line.

That and letting them play like we had 10 men from the red card onwards

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

dunedinhibs
28-10-2014, 06:54 AM
It was stubbs poor substitutions that let hearts back in the game.

He was just taking off players that were clearly tiring towards the end and injecting a bit of pace with Kennedy and Harris.Harris and Stanton weren't u up to much but its hardly Stubbs fault they have been hot and cold for a while, we dont have a terribly strong bench. Id rather thank him and the team for showing up hearts who have been "steamrolling" teams all season. Well done. :thumbsup:
:gwa:

MB62
28-10-2014, 07:41 AM
He was just taking off players that were clearly tiring towards the end and injecting a bit of pace with Kennedy and Harris.Harris and Stanton weren't u up to much but its hardly Stubbs fault they have been hot and cold for a while, we dont have a terribly strong bench. Id rather thank him and the team for showing up hearts who have been "steamrolling" teams all season. Well done. :thumbsup:

I would say that's possibly the best we have played in a while against 'them' but to be fair to the players, we have been playing well recently, the fact we are all sick at only drawing against that lot, who have rightly been getting a lot of plaudits so far this season, shows how far we have improved since the start of the campaign.

As for the subs on Sunday, I think the two lads that came off were probably the right ones, Allan was obviously tired after his first half efforts. My only difference would have been bringing on Craig for the last 10 minutes and maybe going one up front. We didn't keep the ball long enough against the ten men and with the wide players we had on the park, we could/should have been dragging them all over the place.

However, not going to criticise what was an all round good performance from everyone and in a game of fitba, there is always going to be something that somebody should have/should not have done (Malonga should have their keeper sprawling in the back of the net rather than his feeble effort at getting the ball, which ultimately started off their move for the goal) and the game is all about mistakes, pieces of brilliance and opinions.

Things are starting to look good on the pitch at last.

PeeJay
28-10-2014, 07:53 AM

It's interesting you don't think it's Stubbs fault - as if he wouldn't have noticed what was quite obvious to you? The 3 subs he made basically weakened our team - who certainly seemed to be tiring, and again, one has to wonder why ... when did it become OK for players to be fit for one half only? Whose fault is that then, I wonder?

As to Hearts - a draw at home against 10 men seems anything but "showing them up" to me - we have failed to make up any ground on them whatsoever: so what's to celebrate?

Up The Bracket
28-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Would say we were better in the 4-2 at Rugby Park, possibly the 4-0 at Fir Park, 1-0 vs Celtic where Sparky scored at ER and possibly Ibrox, think a few folk are getting carried away, but it was a very good performance and hopefully we'll kick on from here. In Stubbs we trust.

ian cruise
28-10-2014, 08:26 AM
I think we'd win the game if Oxley is on his line when the shot is hit. He actually would catch it with ease. Lord knows why he's even that far of his line.

That and letting them play like we had 10 men from the red card onwards

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

You quite often hear managers and players say it's harder to play against ten men than eleven, I presume it mucks up your game plan as much as the team who have had the sending off and everything becomes a little less predictable.

In regards to the OP, I agree we are looking good, better late than never and its a shame we seem so far adrift from the top however if we keep that level of performance up we should be in the top flight next season, albeit via the play offs.

heretoday
28-10-2014, 01:35 PM
The performance was a complete revelation for anyone who had to sit through the recent Dumbarton game at home. I thought there was no hope after that game. Now I'm really looking forward to the United tie.