PDA

View Full Version : Sam Stanton..

PISTOL1875
27-10-2014, 12:01 PM
My friend attended his first game of the season yesterday and brought SS to my attention.. He couldn't believe the change in his appearance and asked me to post a few questions on here about him..

!. Anyone know if he is on a low carb diet as he seems in my friends opinion to have lost about 1/2 - 3/4 a stone in weight ??

2. Does anyone agree that he has lost weight from last season to now ??

3. Does anyone think his performances on the pitch are related to weight loss and lack of energy ??

4. Anyone know if he has had any viral infections as he should be putting weight on at his age . not losing it ??

5. Should he be putting time in the gym to put weight on ??

Wotherspiniesta
27-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Don't think he's lost any weight. He was always quite slim.

He seems to be performing quite well for the u20's, scoring a hat trick v the mini huns (inc a goal from the half way line) last week. Think he just needed a break from the first team after quite a slow start to the season.

Yeah, he probably should be putting on a bit of weight, I'd say. As long as it doesn't slow him down. However, weight is not imperative to making a good footballer. Technique and ability is. Sam has that in abundance and will do well with Hibs.

StarMan10
27-10-2014, 12:10 PM
The biggest thing that stands out for me, in terms of difference is his ball control. Last season the ball looked like it was glued to his feet he was the comfortable on the ball, playing the game with his head up, always looking for a pass. So far this season, in the times I've seen him play, he seems to have lost that bit of swagger he had whilst on the ball, and in moments where it would normally take him 1 touch to control the ball in takes 2 or 3. Hopefully it's just a sticky patch of form for him and he plays his way out of it.

DaveF
27-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Agree that he looks to be extra lean but I don't see that as a big problem. I'm assuming he is still deemed strong enough or he wouldn't be anywhere near the 1st team.

TheFamous1875
27-10-2014, 12:29 PM
You want the players to be in tip-top condition, but I think Sam's performances have mostly been affected by being the first name on the team sheet last season (which he and Harris have both suffered from) and being played out of position this season under Stubbs.

It makes sense to play him on the wing as he's young, tricky and has good delivery with the ball, but he's obviously not comfortable out there and we miss out on him if he's out on the wing. As a footballer, he has a lot more in common with Scott Allan than he does with Alex Harris.

Stanton and Harris, Cummings, Handling, etc clearly need experienced players around them to take the pressure off as they don't seem ready to step up. All of these players have high potential to be very good players, but they need to be eased into first-team football within a successful team to get the best start to their careers, something that we've really failed at over the last few years.

R11Loaded
28-10-2014, 01:36 AM
I think we lost the game when himself and Harris came on. Neither got on the ball and retained it. And on top of that, Kennedy showed more energy in his brief spell than either.

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

WestCoastHibby
28-10-2014, 02:05 AM
So it's not just female " celebs " that have their body image discussed by all and sundry. Thought I was reading " Heat " magazine for a moment....

CRAZYHIBBY
28-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Jezuz christ

sleeping giant
28-10-2014, 08:21 AM
His ankles look fat though :-)

Bostonhibby
28-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Many of us were desperate for him to stay on last seasons showing because of the potential we seen, we were up in arms when he was supposedly one of those Butcher was releasing. He is a great prospect who not surprisingly had a bit of a dip in form after the nightmare that was the end of last season, we need to give him the chance to recover and continue to develop that potential before judging - we seem to have plenty back room staff so never a better chance to show whether or not there is actually a benefit to all of the expense.

Billy Whizz
28-10-2014, 09:16 AM
It might help if we play him in his right position

Alfred E Newman
28-10-2014, 09:22 AM
I think we lost the game when himself and Harris came on. Neither got on the ball and retained it. And on top of that, Kennedy showed more energy in his brief spell than either.

What a load of nonsense, I don't think Kennedy touched the ball. And by the way it maybe felt like it but we didn't lose.

R11Loaded
28-10-2014, 09:55 AM
What a load of nonsense, I don't think Kennedy touched the ball. And by the way it maybe felt like it but we didn't lose.

Done plenty chasing compared to both Harris and Stanton, we lost the three points is what I meant.

Neither player even looked fresh when they came on

Brightside
28-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Done plenty chasing compared to both Harris and Stanton, we lost the three points is what I meant.

Neither player even looked fresh when they came on

no he didnt.

R11Loaded
28-10-2014, 12:59 PM
no he didnt.

You were watching a different game, he was pressuring the three at the back for hearts up until the goal. And actually had a change of pace unlike the other two subs who have one gear and it's probably reverse.

monktonharp
28-10-2014, 11:05 PM
My friend attended his first game of the season yesterday and brought SS to my attention.. He couldn't believe the change in his appearance and asked me to post a few questions on here about him..

!. Anyone know if he is on a low carb diet as he seems in my friends opinion to have lost about 1/2 - 3/4 a stone in weight ??

2. Does anyone agree that he has lost weight from last season to now ??

3. Does anyone think his performances on the pitch are related to weight loss and lack of energy ??

4. Anyone know if he has had any viral infections as he should be putting weight on at his age . not losing it ??

5. Should he be putting time in the gym to put weight on ??not read any of the other comments(yet) but he is built like a "sparry" and him along with Harris should not have been allowed on the park on Sunday. we needed thugs, like our so called club captain, in there to mix it with that gorgie mob in the middle. we should have had Craig, hurting them rather than young boys trying to stretch it on the wings. shameful substitutions imho.

monktonharp
28-10-2014, 11:09 PM
You want the players to be in tip-top condition, but I think Sam's performances have mostly been affected by being the first name on the team sheet last season (which he and Harris have both suffered from) and being played out of position this season under Stubbs.

It makes sense to play him on the wing as he's young, tricky and has good delivery with the ball, but he's obviously not comfortable out there and we miss out on him if he's out on the wing. As a footballer, he has a lot more in common with Scott Allan than he does with Alex Harris.

Stanton and Harris, Cummings, Handling, etc clearly need experienced players around them to take the pressure off as they don't seem ready to step up. All of these players have high potential to be very good players, but they need to be eased into first-team football within a successful team to get the best start to their careers, something that we've really failed at over the last few years. so, if you are the first name on the teamsheet, that;s a disadvantage/ new one on me ,that is

monktonharp
28-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Agree that he looks to be extra lean but I don't see that as a big problem. I'm assuming he is still deemed strong enough or he wouldn't be anywhere near the 1st team.Alex Cropley, always looked extra lean. that is the only slight comparison with him and young Sam.

madabouthibs
28-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Totally agree with ^ Monkton, Craig should've been brought on. I believe that huge chasm in the middle of the park would never have been there for the Turk guy to pretty much stroll into if Harris and Stanton weren't jogging about looking ineffective. Needed a battler or two in there to keep things tight and hold onto the ball. Right now Harris seems unable to battle a fish supper! A mere shadow of the potential superstar we had last season. :confused:

Gus Fring
28-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Cody Mulhall is too fat, Sam Stanton is too skinny. I didn't know Goldilocks was a Hibby.

monktonharp
28-10-2014, 11:20 PM
What a load of nonsense, I don't think Kennedy touched the ball. And by the way it maybe felt like it but we didn't lose.totally correct. we did not lose the game. certainly felt like it at the time, (a minute and a half to go?) but, we definitely should have won it. the manager is to blame, for bringing on 2 young lads, whose combined weight would hardly have made half a Nadi, should not have been introduced to such a volatile game which we were about to win. a bit of end game thuggery by Liam Craig should have seen us through and all on here know that!

Eyrie
28-10-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm reading a lot of demands that .net's favourite player Craig should have been brought on. Does this mean that a role has been found for him (the human equivalent of Ian Black) or are people forgetting that Craig has not been playing to his talent level recently?

monktonharp
29-10-2014, 12:06 AM
I'm reading a lot of demands that .net's favourite player Craig should have been brought on. Does this mean that a role has been found for him (the human equivalent of Ian Black) or are people forgetting that Craig has not been playing to his talent level recently?I don't know what you mean, in regards to his talent level possibly as I don't think he has much talent .However, If he had been brought on, as opposed to Harris, we'd have won.

Wotherspiniesta
29-10-2014, 02:24 AM
I don't know what you mean, in regards to his talent level possibly as I don't think he has much talent .However, If he had been brought on, as opposed to Harris, we'd have won.

That's a great idea isn't it. Bring on the guy without much talent. That'll stop their centre back screaming one in from 40 yards.

It's naebody's fault we lost.

Why do folk keep looking for someone to blame?

steviehibsleith
29-10-2014, 07:15 AM
That's a great idea isn't it. Bring on the guy without much talent. That'll stop their centre back screaming one in from 40 yards.

We didnt lose

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2014, 07:21 AM

:agree:, although we did not lose i know what you mean. If our back 4 had not sat so far back and actually squeezed the game up that would have stopped them passing the ball out from the back.

Inexperience in my opinion, coupled with excitement about winning, and a fear of losing the lead.

And at the end of the day, the guys shot was one in a million. I'm not one of those who uses luck as a norm, but we were still comfortable even playing as we did, but we did get very unlucky on Sunday.

Eyrie
29-10-2014, 06:47 PM
I don't know what you mean, in regards to his talent level possibly as I don't think he has much talent .However, If he had been brought on, as opposed to Harris, we'd have won.

Craig was a decent attacking midfielder when we signed him. He's struggled since being moved to a deeper role by Butcher so I doubt that he'd have made any difference to our defence or closing players down had he come on instead of Harris.

TheFamous1875
30-10-2014, 07:27 PM
so, if you are the first name on the teamsheet, that;s a disadvantage/ new one on me ,that is

It is a disadvantage when you're an inexperienced bairn who should have experienced pros and an understanding manager easing you into first team professional football. That's not a new one to a lot of people. It's the negligent attitude of our club that have seen so many promising youngsters not live up to their full potential and I for one hope that this new era of LD and AS will be the beginning of the end of that approach.

dchibs
30-10-2014, 08:24 PM
not read any of the other comments(yet) but he is built like a "sparry" and him along with Harris should not have been allowed on the park on Sunday. we needed thugs, like our so called club captain, in there to mix it with that gorgie mob in the middle. we should have had Craig, hurting them rather than young boys trying to stretch it on the wings. shameful substitutions imho.

Somebody should have taken the ball into the corner like Alguie did against think it was Livi where he used up the last two or three minutes through sheer strength to win us the game.