PDA

View Full Version : Malonga

Hannah_hfc
27-10-2014, 01:20 AM
I'm torn here, he can be incredibly frustrating to watch, you just want him to chase more and show more urgency, yet he keeps getting the goals for us.

Must say the pelters he was getting from folks around me (FF lower) was uncalled for, he did get the goal after all. Could maybe have chased a bit more. Not looking to slate him, I'm more interested in what people think!

What's the general consensus on here? Is his style something we're going to have to get used to (provided he keeps scoring), has he still to reach full match fitness, or is he just not bothered?

I feel if that's his style, he'll be a target for the crowd if things don't go well.

Hermit Crab
27-10-2014, 01:32 AM
I'm torn here, he can be incredibly frustrating to watch, you just want him to chase more and show more urgency, yet he keeps getting the goals for us.

Must say the pelters he was getting from folks around me (FF lower) was uncalled for, he did get the goal after all. Could maybe have chased a bit more. Not looking to slate him, I'm more interested in what people think!

What's the general consensus on here? Is his style something we're going to have to get used to (provided he keeps scoring), has he still to reach full match fitness, or is he just not bothered?

I feel if that's his style, he'll be a target for the crowd if things don't go well.

i think he's a lazy ******* that needs to put in 10X more effort if he wants to keep his place in the team. He could have had a hatrick but didn't put in the effort. Jury's out on him.

R11Loaded
27-10-2014, 01:55 AM
I just think he's slow and appears lazy. On the ball he's quite good and his touches always show that. If the ball breaks in the box you could expect him to be smashing it in.

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

Centre Hawf
27-10-2014, 02:22 AM
Two goals in two games is hard to criticise. But he could have 4/5 goals in the last two if he had a better work ethic. His ability is easy to see.

I would say though whenever big Farid is back he'll need to step it up to keep his place, was really impressed with him before his injury.

Boyle89
27-10-2014, 02:41 AM
No doubting his ability. What got to me was that he wasn't really celebrating when he or the team scored. That changed today which was good to see. I get the feeling he is just here to play football and get back to fitness and will be off next year regardless if we go up or not. I think him and farid would be a cracking partnership but we probably won't get the chance to see it. I'm just going to enjoy him while he's here (lazy or not).

PeterboroHibee
27-10-2014, 05:52 AM
I think Malonga is technically very good, and he keeps scoring goals for us. He does have a lazy style, but certain players do. As long as they keep delivering we can live with it. Despite that, up front is the only area of the park that I have some doubts. It may come with time, but Im not overly convinced that Malonga and Cummings are working as a partnership (and thats nothing against the players individually).

Davy Mac
27-10-2014, 06:25 AM
I think Malonga is technically very good, and he keeps scoring goals for us. He does have a lazy style, but certain players do. As long as they keep delivering we can live with it. Despite that, up front is the only area of the park that I have some doubts. It may come with time, but Im not overly convinced that Malonga and Cummings are working as a partnership (and thats nothing against the players individually).

Agreed, IMO strikers should work together closely and again I just didn't see a togetherness at all.

It was a pity that Handling didn't get forward as well as he did against Livingston as I feel the strikers need that 3rd player to help them.

Onion
27-10-2014, 06:27 AM
IMO if Malonga wasn't such a lazy player, he'd be nowhere near Hibs and 2nd tier in Scotland. He showed against Sevco just what a good he can be, so it's up to Stubbs to motivate and get the best out of him.

He'll score 20+ goals for us this season. Despite that, he'll get pelters from many Hibs fans who value honest triers more than lazy talent.

hibeesjoe
27-10-2014, 06:42 AM
He comes across as lazy but has also scored a few goals. I think he is the type of player that will miss more than he scores though. He should have challenged the hearts keeper at the beginning of injury time instead of just letting the ball go, he might have took a yellow card for it but we would have ended up winning. I doubt a striker like Griffith's would have wasted the opportunity's we had today.

3pm
27-10-2014, 07:18 AM
The jury is out with Malonga. On the other hand, it's now with Osman Sow.

He's utter pish. A dodged bullet.

eastcoasthibby
27-10-2014, 07:30 AM
quoted "He comes across as lazy but has also scored a few goals. I think he is the type of player that will miss more than he scores though. He should have challenged the hearts keeper at the beginning of injury time instead of just letting the ball go, he might have took a yellow card for it but we would have ended up winning."

Absolutely right in my view as well, and have to say he just seem's so reluctant to put himself into anything that may be a bit risky, sore, tough, and a bit more physicality in that challenge with Alexander or and extra burst would have brought about a completely different result yesterday ! Having said that he looked burst 10 minutes before that and could have been subbed and if we had been 10 yards higher up the park to shut down the centre half's wander forward !! anyhow it's done now :-(

I think Malonga is quality and is still not at 100%, will he ever put himself into that hard/risky place ?? who knows ! He showed yesterday at times that lack of hunger and desire to get into situations, that a lot of our players have shown too often in the past few years and hopefully what the others are starting to give will rub off !!!

Agree will get us goals but oh how many more by giving that bit extra ?????

jacomo
27-10-2014, 07:34 AM
IMO if Malonga wasn't such a lazy player, he'd be nowhere near Hibs and 2nd tier in Scotland. He showed against Sevco just what a good he can be, so it's up to Stubbs to motivate and get the best out of him.

He'll score 20+ goals for us this season. Despite that, he'll get pelters from many Hibs fans who value honest triers more than lazy talent.

You're probably right, and what a depressing post.

Here's an observation - for this season at least, Malonga is a vital player for us. Why don't we support the player? I'm sure AS will have a good idea about how hard he is working.

blackpoolhibs
27-10-2014, 07:48 AM
He is a lazy looking player, probably suited more to playing abroad rather than the hustle bustle football we get in the 2nd tier of Scottish football.

Jason Cummings put in a power of work yesterday, but scored nil. If Malonga can keep his goal scoring rate up, then we will just have to put up with all these goals.

He clearly has an eye for a goal, if he worked as hard as Cumming or Leigh Griffiths he'd be nowhere near us.

The Harp Awakes
27-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Got talent and can score goals but I agree, very lazy. Even when he's walking every step seems to be an effort. Very strange for a professional footballer who's played at a high level.

snedzuk
27-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Agree with all thats said but if you didnt witness it /haven't seen it go to the bbc website and watch his second against ross county - watch where he picks it up and then youll catch the run across the bottom of the screen to get onto the end of it - doesn't look too lazy there but that just makes it all the more frustrating. Its the way he 'runs' out of the tunnel at the start and at half time though that always gets a laugh from my missus - hibs late out for second half yesterday - malonga out behind all of them for a Sunday stroll!

But....

does he bang them in? James collins anyone? Malonga and el alagui - that could be a prospect...

truehibernian
27-10-2014, 08:07 AM
He's come from a technicallly better league, into a more intense, physical league - that itself means it'll take time to adjust. Saying that he is signed to score goals and he did that immediately. Plenty goals in this lad, he will be infuriating, like Kris Boyd..........but that's why you have busy, industrious players in the side like McGeouch, Allan, Cummings......he'd always be on my team sheet purely because he knows where the net is. It's a really good return since he signed.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Klinnsman used to drift in and out of games. Do doubt another Lazy player...
when we get as close to perfection (griffiths and Riordan at their peak) at Hibs in recent times it's still not enough.

hibsbollah
27-10-2014, 08:14 AM
The ideal combination is talented hard workers, like a Murphy or a Scott Brown. But those players arent available to Hibs. So on balance, especially when talking about attacking players, id rather have lazy talent than honest plodders. Eventually the lazy guy gets motivated, (the honest huddy never suddenly discovers hidden talent, by contrast) and the result is something like the 18 goal Benji season and the perfect performance in the 2007 5-1 cup final win over Kilmarnock.

An honest plodder huddy will never achieve something like that, despite running about a lot.

And more importantly, the lazy talented guy is more fun to watch.

JimBHibees
27-10-2014, 08:53 AM
He comes across as lazy but has also scored a few goals. I think he is the type of player that will miss more than he scores though. He should have challenged the hearts keeper at the beginning of injury time instead of just letting the ball go, he might have took a yellow card for it but we would have ended up winning. I doubt a striker like Griffith's would have wasted the opportunity's we had today.

He actually didnt need to challenge the goalie as the ball was there for him to shoot or control. Even knock it behind for a goal kick would have been better than starting the move which ended in the goal

Northernhibee
27-10-2014, 08:57 AM
**** me,something like five goals in seven games and the jury is out. This place has become a parody of itself. Unreal. Let's go back to players who run about a lot but can't hit a barn door. Mind boggling.

lord bunberry
27-10-2014, 09:10 AM
If he keeps scoring he will be forgiven for not chasing down or being a bit braver in the box. The problem is if he stops scoring.

J-C
27-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Has an eye for goal and has very good feet but in this division, we need to be hassling all over the pitch and show more urgency, he doesn't do this and is therefore a passenger a lot of the time, Farid will walk straight back into the team when he's fit.

ancient hibee
27-10-2014, 09:12 AM
**** me,something like five goals in seven games and the jury is out. This place has become a parody of itself. Unreal. Let's go back to players who run about a lot but can't hit a barn door. Mind boggling.

:top marks

He's quick between the ears-that's what matters.He has to pace himself because he's not match fit.

Scottie
27-10-2014, 09:13 AM
:agree: FFS this place is never happy.
The lads scoring nearly every game but the jury's out because he's a lazy bassa. Only at HIBS :rolleyes:

khib70
27-10-2014, 09:17 AM
:top marksThis, 100 percent. This board is becoming Facepalm Central

CallumLaidlaw
27-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Agree with the last few posts. If the guy is hitting the net each week, what's the issue? That's his job. If we don't score goals we can't win games. You could have 11 grafters out there and never score a goal. It stick a "lazy" player in there who hits the net? I know what my choice would be

CRAZYHIBBY
27-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Give the guy a break. ...hes almost been a like for like replacement for farid....im sure hes equalled farids tally already....i couldn't give a **** if he kipped on a hammock in the centre circle as long as he keeps scoring

Hannah_hfc
27-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Good to see most folk are behind him, as I said, he got absolute pelters yesterday from where I was sat so I was interested to see if these followed the views of the majority.

Stevie Reid
27-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I can understand some people's concerns about him, there are definitely times where it seems he gives opposition CHs too easy a time in possession, and looks like he could put more of a shift in.

However, last season we had a centre forward in James Collins who worked his socks off and ran himself into the ground every week, but managed only a pitiful 6 goals in 31 starts - Malonga has 5 goals in 7 starts (and it really should be 6 in 7 as the penalty did look in).

I know who I'd rather have.

J-C
27-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Collins also played in one of the worst teams ever to disgrace Easter Road and was managed by slavering Butcher, give Collins the service Malonga got yesterday and he'd be near enough in double fugures by now.

Bronson
27-10-2014, 01:50 PM
The jury is out with Malonga. On the other hand, it's now with Osman Sow.

He's utter pish. A dodged bullet.

My hearts-supporting mate reckons he's pretty gash and can't really understand how he's scoring so regularly. Based on yesterday, a dodged bullet indeed. Has another Michael Ngoo all over it, hyped up big time at first then fades away into another mockery within a few months.

Ozyhibby
27-10-2014, 01:52 PM
We need a lot more goals from our strikers considering how much we are dominating games.

S4uzee
27-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Collins also played in one of the worst teams ever to disgrace Easter Road and was managed by slavering Butcher, give Collins the service Malonga got yesterday and he'd be near enough in double fugures by now.

I doubt it

Leith_Hibee
27-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Is he technically that good?

He's scoring goals but most of them are in the 6 yard box. His free kicks have been poor, Palmerston Park he hit one off the roof of the stand.

I dont buy into the work rate debate, I would rather strikers put the effort in at the right time rather than all the time.

PeterboroHibee
27-10-2014, 03:40 PM

He's scoring goals but most of them are in the 6 yard box. His free kicks have been poor, Palmerston Park he hit one off the roof of the stand.

I dont buy into the work rate debate, I would rather strikers put the effort in at the right time rather than all the time.

Does that matter? 5 goals in his 8 games for us, and in those games weve lost once (not saying hes solely responsible for that, but hes still part of the team thats been doing reasonably well).

Hermit Crab
27-10-2014, 03:51 PM

2 almost identical goals at livingston and yesterday. Right place right time?

Leith_Hibee
27-10-2014, 04:46 PM

I dont particularly like him, I keep hearing about his technical ability but I'm not seeing it. Like you've said, right place at right time...is it great reading of the game or just good fortune...time will tell. Would be delighted to eat humble pie.

weonlywon6-2
27-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Lazy or not,if he is scoring goals i would keep him in the team,tbh we dont have the luxury of playing anyone else

Allant1981
27-10-2014, 05:03 PM
As long as he keeps scoring i dont care how lazy he seems, we dont need 11 players running about like headless chickens, we need guys that are going to win us games and he is one of these players

Northernhibee
27-10-2014, 05:18 PM
I'd love to know what a striker needs to do to please some of our support. The likes of Higdon and Boyd had a habit of always popping up in the right places at the right times to score goals in Scottish football, we've now got that type of striker. Five goals in eight games - does every striker need to score a hat trick of thirty yard screamers in every game they play?

Personally delighted with Malonga's start. If he keeps banging them away then fair play to the lad.

ancient hibee
27-10-2014, 06:20 PM

And both put into the roof of the net while others sclaffed the ball against defenders.

Seem to remember that for one of his headed goals he started the move at the half way line and was going like a train to head in Stevenson's cross.He knows when to run and paces himself for the 90 minutes.There are always mugs who cheer futile runs that are never going to get the ball.

Heisenberg
27-10-2014, 06:26 PM
He's a striker. He scores goals. That'll do for me.

Auckland Hibs
27-10-2014, 06:30 PM
He's a striker. He scores goals. That'll do for me.

But he doesn't score the right kind of goals - anything in the 6 yards box doesn't count :rolleyes:

Bad Habits
27-10-2014, 06:38 PM
I dont particularly like him, I keep hearing about his technical ability but I'm not seeing it. Like you've said, right place at right time...is it great reading of the game or just good fortune...time will tell. Would be delighted to eat humble pie.

:confused: Cummings second goal against the Rangers shows you all you need to know about his technical ability. Fantastic touch and awareness to play in Stevenson, not to mention the two or so players he left behind AND the fact he was mid stride when he played it. For once we have a striker with enough ability and physique to hold up the ball and lay of balls to other players.

QMU-1875
27-10-2014, 06:55 PM
He's the kind of player who seems to be in the right place at the right time, something James Collins (for example) was very poor at. In my opinion we have a player who will get us the scrappy goals, which is something we haven't had for a long time. his record so far for Hibs speaks for itself and I sincerely hope we the fans don't start another witch hunt against a player who clearly offers us something a bit different.

emerald green
27-10-2014, 07:07 PM
As long as he keeps scoring that will do for me.

Maybe DM needs a bit more time to adjust to the rough and tumble of the league he is playing in? Was he not playing football in Italy until recently?

His failure to track back for the Yaks goal - was that lazy, or was he just knackered at the end of a hard match? Or did he switch off, thinking the game was won? I don't suppose we will ever know the answers, but I would imagine it's something AS will be aware of.

SaulGoodman
27-10-2014, 07:32 PM
People keep asking the question "Why are players poor at Hibs but play great when they leave?"

This thread is a perfect example, we keep harping on about a type of player we need and when we eventually get one we go out of our way to look at their flaws instead of focussing on what they're good at.

Bad Martini
28-10-2014, 12:31 PM
He looked mighty gutted at the end of the match and in the interview on SKY.

He's scored 5 in 8.

**** me. We need goals. He's scoring goals. I think we look for a forward who has a) ability and b) can score then, look for ways to give him pelters....laziness is the most common. I recall this with Riordan...I then recall Deek running about like a blue arsed fly whilst played out of position almost on ****ing Albion Road and then he got pelters for not being in the box to score (ironically because he was chasing down players and doing all this "extra work" folk wanted).

Let the striker who is scoring, keep scoring. If we have a striker who can keep on scoring and who can replace him in every respect, then lets have him on in his place.................and until we do, 5/8 will do for starters.

Incidentally, had that hacking ******* not chopped him, he was off and well en-route towards the yams.

hibee-boys
28-10-2014, 12:52 PM
5 goals in 8 games, on track for 20ish goals potentially. I'll take that return thank you very much. We're a hard bunch to please, as for the quality of his goals and technique, if he was banging in 30 yard free kicks and completing Maradonaesque runs from the halfway line I'm afraid he wouldn't be plying his trade at Easter Road!!

Gatecrasher
28-10-2014, 12:59 PM
leave the guy alone ffs, he's banging them in, no one else is scoring that many for us to even consider dropping him.

Lucius Apuleius
28-10-2014, 03:33 PM
He poaches. Needed that for a long time. Still think he should shoot more often though. 😁

Borderhibbie76
29-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Cant believe how critical some on here are being...yes the guy has flaws...if he didnt then quite simply he would NOT be here. He looks 10 times the player Sow is...he has already matched Farid's 5 goals...what more do we want??

Kato
29-10-2014, 08:40 AM
Two words, Ally Macleod. Coulny run for a bus even fully fit, which Malonga isn't, and nobody who knew anything football cared because he came up with product and won games for us.

rcarter1
29-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Malonga is doing the business, and like almost every player, will improve as the team improves. He has height, and gets into good positions, and looks to link to the others. He also scores goals. With Cummings, these two can only learn more about each others game, and both have the attributes to be excellent for us.

Scouse Hibee
29-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Yeah let's bring back Collins, much prefer his energy to Malonga's goals!!!

lucky
29-10-2014, 09:18 AM
I just don't rate him. His work rate is a problem for us as a team. There is no doubt he can score goals but it appears his game is all about him not the team

Scouse Hibee
29-10-2014, 09:20 AM
I rate a striker by his goals.

Lucius Apuleius
29-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Two words, Ally Macleod. Coulny run for a bus even fully fit, which Malonga isn't, and nobody who knew anything football cared because he came up with product and won games for us.

🙋 was going to mention Ally yesterday. Prime example of a lazy lump that everybody loved. The less he did as the game went on the surer I always was he was going to score.

hibsbollah
29-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Malonga Knows :agree:

Evergreen86
29-10-2014, 10:52 AM
I just don't rate him. His work rate is a problem for us as a team. There is no doubt he can score goals but it appears his game is all about him not the team

FFS 5 goals in 8 games...... You probably said the opposite when it came to James Collins. a strikers job is to score and that is the difference between Malonga and our previous/recent incumbents

Keep it up big man!

Allant1981
29-10-2014, 11:18 AM

So you just don't like him rather than don't rate him as you said there is no doubt he can score, he is a striker so that's what he is paid to do

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Criticism of his style is probably a carry over from last season when there were genuine questions to be answered as regards effort and commitment. If he puts the ball away then he is doing as required. If he keeps his shirt, it is because he is doing what the manager has tasked him to achieve. A player that has this type of body language though, will always draw comments from high horse all the way down to serial mumpers. Best just to accept that rather than discuss that rather than the player.

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2014, 11:47 AM
He can be frustrating to watch, funnily enough I can live with his workrate, even though in the game at Ibrox he showed that he can put a shift in if he wants to, what has annoyed me a couple of times is that he has lost the ball in some good positions and when it comes to that I do expect better.

I know he got clattered on Sunday, but the other thing I have noticed is that at about 70 minutes in every game I have seen him in he suddenly appears to acquire some sort of niggling injury which leaves him with a slight limp, is he carrying an injury? :dunno:

Having said all that ... if he keeps scoring I'll keep feeling the love :greengrin

allezsauzee
29-10-2014, 12:11 PM
We were crying out for a finisher last season and now we have one. Malonga has a good first touch, is a clever player and is composed in front of goal. He's not quick and he is isn't going to hare about chasing after people. I still think we need somebody else to play alongside him. Cummings is still a raw talent and will be a good player in time but isn't there yet.

jacomo
29-10-2014, 12:15 PM
We were crying out for a finisher last season and now we have one. Malonga has a good first touch, is a clever player and is composed in front of goal. He's not quick and he is isn't going to hare about chasing after people. I still think we need somebody else to play alongside him. Cummings is still a raw talent and will be a good player in time but isn't there yet.

How about Jake Sinclair? What's happening with him? He's supposed to be pacy, is he not?

Stevie Reid
29-10-2014, 12:24 PM

So if he carries on scoring at the same rate and ends up with 25 goals this season, that will somehow have been a problem for the team and you still won't like him?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-10-2014, 12:30 PM
"Accept him fot the striker he is." - Alan Stubbs :agree:

green day
29-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Anyone watch the Shrewsbury v Chelsea match last night - I saw some and................I know this might not seem possible, but James Collins looked heavier and less mobile than last season.

Lets remember what we had, and that we have two strikers who know where the net is (one injured) plus a few young guys coming through (who we should nurture, not throw to the lions)

Bad Martini
29-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Anyone watch the Shrewsbury v Chelsea match last night - I saw some and................I know this might not seem possible, but James Collins looked heavier and less mobile than last season.

Lets remember what we had, and that we have two strikers who know where the net is (one injured) plus a few young guys coming through (who we should nurture, not throw to the lions)

Sorry. I just cant support strikers knowing where the net is. This'll never catch on at Easter Road...:grr::rules::brickwall

:rolleyes:

As Meatloaf said, five oot of eight isnae bad. Or something like that. :aok:

LaMotta
29-10-2014, 12:44 PM
"Accept him fot the striker he is." - Alan Stubbs :agree:

I agree with Stubbs on this. Malonga did his job on Sunday as he scored the goal that put us in a winning position.

However, given that we accept he is not going to work as hard as others, then Malonga should have been hooked as the game wound down, allowing somebody with a better work ethic to help us protect the lead.

Malonga did nothing to help in the the run up to their goal, standing with his hips on the byline as Turkish boy drove forward. Someone with a better workrate would have been back in and behind the ball as soon as the keeper got posession.

Leith_Hibee
29-10-2014, 01:10 PM
So if he carries on scoring at the same rate and ends up with 25 goals this season, that will somehow have been a problem for the team and you still won't like him?

I'm not a big fan of malonga but if he keeps this scoring record then I'll be delighted.

Haven't made my mind up whether his goalscoring is ability or whether he's just been a bit lucky with some of the goals (right place right time). I know some will say thats a skill and if it continues then I'd agree...just a bit to early to say hes going to be a 25 goal a season man...would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I was giving him the benefit of doubt until I went down to QoS game, for me his performance in that particular game was unnacceptable.

leggeto
29-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Lazy player with good technical ability who wants the ball to feet,chasing down players will come,will adjust to the frantic style eventually

#FromTheCapital
29-10-2014, 01:19 PM
I think Malonga is the type of panic buy striker we've always wanted at hibs but usually failed with. Kuqi, Konte, Hurtado etc have all been failures but Malonga is banging them in for fun. Long may it continue.
Love the Malonga conga as well.

B.H.F.C
29-10-2014, 02:10 PM
I've been a wee bit critical of his work rate. I do think he needs to contribute a bit more.

But then I saw James Collins on the TV last night. He used to burst a gut, ran about all over the place. He managed 6 in a season for us. Malonga has 5 already. Maybe not running channels and stuff like that is allowing him to be where he needs to be.

Jonnyboy
29-10-2014, 03:15 PM
In Collins we had a striker who ran his nads off but hardly scored any goals. In Malonga we have a player who does the opposite :wink:

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2014, 03:23 PM
In Collins we had a striker who ran his nads off but hardly scored any goals. In Malonga we have a player who does the opposite :wink:

I watched Collins last night, and he played exactly the same type of game he played at Hibs. He even got in the way of a shot that was going in to deflect it wide.

Goals are the hardest thing to do on a football pitch, give me someone who can put the ball in the net every time, even if he has a lazy style like Malonga.

HappyAsHellas
29-10-2014, 03:23 PM
He's a player who has come from European leagues where the style of play is very different to here. He will take time to adjust, but if he keeps scoring then he's doing what we need.

Jonnyboy
29-10-2014, 03:25 PM
I watched Collins last night, and he played exactly the same type of game he played at Hibs. He even got in the way of a shot that was going in to deflect it wide.

Goals are the hardest thing to do on a football pitch, give me someone who can put the ball in the net every time, even if he has a lazy style like Malonga.

:agree:

NorthNorfolkHFC
29-10-2014, 03:29 PM
We've not had a decent centre forward like Malonga in years. He may be a bit lacklustre but his quality is very evident.

Take hime out the team and you'll notice the difference he makes.

His hold up play, deft touches and link up play are all excellent. He can also score goals.

In addition to this he loved scroring against the jambos on Sunday.

CRAZYHIBBY
29-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Ill rate malonga on the size of his

Goal tally

SaulGoodman
29-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Ill rate malonga on the size of his

Goal tally
Mashlonga?

lucky
29-10-2014, 04:05 PM
FFS 5 goals in 8 games...... You probably said the opposite when it came to James Collins. a strikers job is to score and that is the difference between Malonga and our previous/recent incumbents

Keep it up big man!

No I didnt. Whilst Collins tried he had little ability but his confidence was shot. Malonga scores goals but his lack of work puts us under pressure as it allows teams to bring the ball out from the back, as happen for their equaliser on Sunday

SaulGoodman
29-10-2014, 04:20 PM
No I didnt. Whilst Collins tried he had little ability but his confidence was shot. Malonga scores goals but his lack of work puts us under pressure as it allows teams to bring the ball out from the back, as happen for their equaliser on Sunday

Yeah because Collins' great work rate up front really stopped us from conceding goals last season :wink:

--------
29-10-2014, 04:21 PM

Ideally, you want a striker who scores regularly AND runs and runs and runs. But given the choice between an Energiser Bunny type who cannae score for toffee, and a lackadaisical type who turns up at the right time once or twice a game to score a goal, I'd take the latter every time.

You, like me, John, are old enough to remember one Ally Scott who put in no lack of effort for absolutely no benefit whatsoever. He ran as if his feet were each attached to the wrong leg.

And from around the same era, one Ally McLeod whose work-rate was somewhere south of 'must try harder' (more like, 'just gonnae run aboot a wee bit, Ally?') but who scored regularly and indeed remains the perpetrator of several truly memorable goals scored in one of the dreichest and most desperate periods in Hibernian history. One scored against Rangers from a George Best through-ball is my personal favourite.

I rest my case, m'Lud.

Just found this, btw - Ally involved in all three goals that matter. Peach of a cross for the first, lovely through ball to win the pen for the second (that's how to take a penalty!), lovely ball out wide to Ralph C for the third.

I would bet that those were the only three occasions in the entire game that he came close to breaking sweat .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6qwx6CZlM

Kato
29-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Just found this, btw - Ally involved in all three goals that matter. Peach of a cross for the first, lovely through ball to win the pen for the second (that's how to take a penalty!), lovely ball out wide to Ralph C for the third.

I would bet that those were the only three occasions in the entire game that he came close to breaking sweat .....

Remember that game. Nice stuff and beautifully illustrates Ally M's skills.

Always remember he had the habit of not chasing lost causes and people going nuts but he was a good judge of whether he was going to reach the ball or not as he would occasionally show a burst of pace (over 5 yards) to catch a ball going out. Great vision.

Anyway according AS Malonga isn't really match fit and I reckon we'll see more work-rate as the season progresses;

Robinho08
29-10-2014, 05:10 PM
I like him. Good signing giving the circumstances.

Stevie Reid
29-10-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of malonga but if he keeps this scoring record then I'll be delighted.

Haven't made my mind up whether his goalscoring is ability or whether he's just been a bit lucky with some of the goals (right place right time). I know some will say thats a skill and if it continues then I'd agree...just a bit to early to say hes going to be a 25 goal a season man...would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I was giving him the benefit of doubt until I went down to QoS game, for me his performance in that particular game was unnacceptable.

It is indeed, but the point I was making in my response to the post I was quoting was that if you extrapolate his contribution and goals ratio so far (which Lucky wasn't happy with) over the remainder of the season, it would equate to around 25 goals. The suggestion that that may somehow be to the detriment of the team is inane.

Stevie Reid
29-10-2014, 05:40 PM
I like him. Good signing giving the circumstances.

Exactly. Whilst he is clearly different in style to Al Agui, Malonga currently has a better scoring ratio than Farid did when he got injured, and he looked like he'd get a whole load of goals in this division (as he did previously at Falkirk).

Losing Farid was a devastating blow to us - so far we have managed to replace his goals with a free signing outwith the transfer window, which is a great piece of business.

truehibernian
29-10-2014, 06:03 PM
He'll score tonight. Dundee Utd are very vulnerable in central defence and that is ideal for DM and JC. Killie exploited it really well at Rugby Park recently - looked like hoofball but it was tactically good management by Allan Johnston. That's where we should target tonight and it is ideal for the 'diamond' to play through them in the middle - need to be dynamic and press high though.

rcarter1
29-10-2014, 08:03 PM
He'll score tonight. Dundee Utd are very vulnerable in central defence and that is ideal for DM and JC. Killie exploited it really well at Rugby Park recently - looked like hoofball but it was tactically good management by Allan Johnston. That's where we should target tonight and it is ideal for the 'diamond' to play through them in the middle - need to be dynamic and press high though.

:thumbsup:

Heisenberg
29-10-2014, 08:04 PM
He scores goals. Don't give a **** how much running he does :agree:

rcarter1
29-10-2014, 10:51 PM

His Goal/Run ratio is the best Ive ever seen..

Scooter
29-10-2014, 11:17 PM
I thought he was really good tonight especially first half

Bishop Hibee
29-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Best game for Hibs this evening. Held up the ball well and very clever passing. 6 goals in 9 games is a decent return.

Unseen work
29-10-2014, 11:21 PM
I think he just uses his energy on when we have the ball

he gets himself in good positions and is always where u expect him, Collins would run about daft then always be in the wrong position when we had the ball

LaMotta
29-10-2014, 11:23 PM
His control on the chest was brilliant tonight...always retained posession and found a yard of space.

Worked his socks off for the most part to!

--------
29-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Remember that game. Nice stuff and beautifully illustrates Ally M's skills.

Always remember he had the habit of not chasing lost causes and people going nuts but he was a good judge of whether he was going to reach the ball or not as he would occasionally show a burst of pace (over 5 yards) to catch a ball going out. Great vision.

Anyway according AS Malonga isn't really match fit and I reckon we'll see more work-rate as the season progresses;

That's exactly how Ally approached the game. Not lazy - sensible, and as you say, tremendous vision and game-awareness.

Ozyhibby
29-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Thought he was brilliant tonight. Keep it up big man.

Alfred E Newman
29-10-2014, 11:40 PM
He did more running in the first 10 mins than he did in the whole game on Sunday. Looked a far better player.

Jonnyboy
29-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Ideally, you want a striker who scores regularly AND runs and runs and runs. But given the choice between an Energiser Bunny type who cannae score for toffee, and a lackadaisical type who turns up at the right time once or twice a game to score a goal, I'd take the latter every time.

You, like me, John, are old enough to remember one Ally Scott who put in no lack of effort for absolutely no benefit whatsoever. He ran as if his feet were each attached to the wrong leg.

And from around the same era, one Ally McLeod whose work-rate was somewhere south of 'must try harder' (more like, 'just gonnae run aboot a wee bit, Ally?') but who scored regularly and indeed remains the perpetrator of several truly memorable goals scored in one of the dreichest and most desperate periods in Hibernian history. One scored against Rangers from a George Best through-ball is my personal favourite.

I rest my case, m'Lud.

Who could forget Ally? I've tried to, honestly :greengrin

Great find re the youtube video Doddie :aok:

hibeemikey21
30-10-2014, 12:09 AM
The man didn't waste possession once tonight. I think he's outstanding.

His style of play/movement makes him sometimes open to criticism (its slightly lethargic and berbatov-esque, but he leads the line superbly.

There was one moment tonight when I thought "he's taking a bit too much time here" as he was plodding up the left wing with ball. Two utd defenders came haring in at him, he just casually nutmegged one, changed direction, left them both for dead and just wandered away. Summed him up. Always relaxed yet in control

Sprouleflyer
30-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Who on here would swap Malonga for Sow?

I wouldn't!!

Seveno
30-10-2014, 12:18 AM
His awareness is amazing. He always knows where he is going to make his pass before he gets the ball.

#FromTheCapital
30-10-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm more of a malonga fan than a hibs fan.

Saturday Boy
30-10-2014, 12:23 AM
One slight worry; in tonight's match programme it said he was on the verge of a call-up to the Congo squad for the African Cup of Nations match against Nigeria on 15 November. Great for him, but we play QOS that day.

Pete
30-10-2014, 12:43 AM
His control on the chest was brilliant tonight...always retained posession and found a yard of space.

Worked his socks off for the most part to!

:agree: his control is absolutely top drawer. His chest, feet, thigh...anything seems to attract the ball like a magnet. He reminds me of Fellaini the way he uses his chest.

SteveHFC
30-10-2014, 12:47 AM

:agree:

Sir David Gray
30-10-2014, 12:55 AM
6 goals in 9 games isn't a bad return for someone who is apparently a lazy sod.

Give me someone like him over a workhorse who couldn't score in a brothel any day of the week.

Hannah_hfc
30-10-2014, 01:28 AM

:greengrin

Glad most the fans seem to be behind him! Also good seeing this forum sounding more positive by the day!

Bostonhibby
30-10-2014, 09:58 AM

I certainly cant forget Ally Scott - we got done by the now defunct Glasgow Rangers in a swap for the very good Ian Munro - they gave us him and Graham Fyfe.

Scott had the running style of a speeded up Max Wall, I remember him scoring one with his knee (against Rosenborg in the Eufa Cup I think), no other great memories other than feeling a bit robbed when Munro went the other way. Fyfe never cut the mustard either.

Stevie Reid
30-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Superb last night. Great first touch and finish for his goal, was quick and incisive when we broke, and his hold up play was excellent all night.

Kato
30-10-2014, 10:02 AM
He should have his own song.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qROwjULKVj0

Bostonhibby
30-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Malonga ticks most of the quality boxes for me, he has a footballing brain, knows where he needs to be to score, makes good use of the ball and we have someone putting the ball in the net - needs to be made to feel as welcome as possible at Hibs as if he keeps doing it other clubs will come calling. Good player.

emerald green
31-10-2014, 10:06 AM
I certainly cant forget Ally Scott - we got done by the now defunct Glasgow Rangers in a swap for the very good Ian Munro - they gave us him and Graham Fyfe.

Scott had the running style of a speeded up Max Wall, I remember him scoring one with his knee (against Rosenborg in the Eufa Cup I think), no other great memories other than feeling a bit robbed when Munro went the other way. Fyfe never cut the mustard either.

:agree: Those two were absolutely awful. Both gash.

Hamish
31-10-2014, 12:22 PM
IIRC allegedly Fyfe was allowed to leave as his wife was not of the protestant religion. Or is my age affecting my memories?

madsen5
31-10-2014, 01:26 PM
IIRC allegedly Fyfe was allowed to leave as his wife was not of the protestant religion. Or is my age affecting my memories?

Correct , your memory is fine .

Jonnyboy
31-10-2014, 04:05 PM

That's exactly how I remember it too, Hamish

ancient hibee
31-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Selling Munro was one of a number of strange decisions Eddie Turnbull was making at the time.

Bostonhibby
31-10-2014, 04:55 PM

Plenty rumours to that effect at the time. Similar reason why sir Alex told them to F off when they tried to lure him from Aberdeen, apparently.

ancient hibee
31-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Plenty rumours to that effect at the time. Similar reason why sir Alex told them to F off when they tried to lure him from Aberdeen, apparently.

Ferguson got told off by Willie Allison the Rangers press man and former Sunday Post journalist for marrying an RC which strangely enough was shortly before they transferred him.

Stevie Reid
31-10-2014, 04:57 PM

I thought Ferguson confirmed in his first autobiography that his being jettisoned from Rangers had nothing to do with his wife's denomination, and was entirely down to him being culpable in a Celtic winning goal in a cup final.

ancient hibee
31-10-2014, 05:02 PM
I thought Ferguson confirmed in his first autobiography that his being jettisoned from Rangers had nothing to do with his wife's denomination, and was entirely down to him being culpable in a Celtic winning goal in a cup final.

Wouldn't want to upset 50000 potential purchasers would he.

Stevie Reid
31-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Wouldn't want to upset 50000 potential purchasers would he.

Judging by his second book, I think he's quite easy about pissing anyone off, really.

He then joined Rangers for £65,000, then a record fee for a transfer between two Scottish clubs. He was blamed for a goal that they conceded in the 1969 Scottish Cup Final (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968%E2%80%9369_Scottish_Cup#Final),[17] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson#cite_note-blame-17) in a match in which he was designated to markCeltic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_F.C.) captain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_(association_football)), Billy McNeill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_McNeill), and was subsequently forced to play for the club's junior side instead of for the first team.[18] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson#cite_note-junior-18) According to his brother, Ferguson was so upset by the experience that he threw his losers' medal away.[19] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson#cite_note-losersmedal-19) There have been claims that he suffered discrimination at Rangers after his marriage to a Catholic, Cathy Holding,[20] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson#cite_note-20) but Ferguson himself makes it clear in his autobiography[21] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson#cite_note-21) that Rangers knew of his wife's religion when he joined the club and that he left the club very reluctantly, due to the fall-out from his alleged cup final mistake.

R11Loaded
01-11-2014, 04:17 AM

This will sound daft but me and my mates said this on Wednesday at the game.

Everytime Craig lost the ball "FFS CRAIG"

if malonga lost it we chanted his name and said "somebody help him"

It's like we collectively want him to succeed

Lucius Apuleius
01-11-2014, 08:43 AM
This will sound daft but me and my mates said this on Wednesday at the game.

Everytime Craig lost the ball "FFS CRAIG"

if malonga lost it we chanted his name and said "somebody help him"

It's like we collectively want him to succeed

And by extension, want Craig to fail?

Holmesdale Hibs
01-11-2014, 09:11 AM

In a nutshell. Wouldn't mind another few (alleged) lazy *******s with similar goals to game ratios.

R11Loaded
01-11-2014, 10:18 AM
And by extension, want Craig to fail?

Possibly correct, was an observation

--------
01-11-2014, 10:22 AM

Truly sorry to have reminded you, John. I thought the Motherwell highlights summed Ally M up perfectly. He wasn't lazy as in 'couldn't be bothered', but he didn't waste effort running around to no purpose, and he had the canny knack of turning up in he right place at the right time as if by accident which I the mark of an intelligent footballer. Malonga may be another of that ilk.

Bostonhibby
01-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Yep, you're right, its what he said all those years later. Only talking about what was being said when he declined everyones dream job at the now defunct glasgow rangers.

Problem with horrible insidious cultures like the one that club had is that its what's implied and hidden that makes it harder to detect what really is going on. Sorry if it all sounds a bit conspiratorial or even masonic :-)

hibs0666
23-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Hope you're hungry.

There's a others like you on this thread that will no doubt are having a good scoff too as we speak.

Heisenberg
23-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Just seen his goals from yesterday. Two good finishes and an absolute screamer. Looks a really good signing so far.