PDA

View Full Version : Alex Harris

Berwickhibby
26-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Sadly the laddie needs to return to the u20's, he provided nothing after he came on, his confidence IMHO is still shot, also his passing and defending today were simply not good enough. There is a player in there, but he is not ready to step up to the first team yet.

dchibs
26-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Sadly the laddie needs to return to the u20's, he provided nothing after he came on, his confidence IMHO is still shot, also his passing and defending today were simply not good enough. There is a player in there, but he is not ready to step up to the first team yet.

I think a couple of our young players could do with a bit more gym work.

HH81
26-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Hope I am wrong but I don't think he will make it. He needed to push on at this level and hasn't.

Stubs will try release him at end of the season. IMO.

truehibernian
26-10-2014, 05:04 PM
What did Sam Nicolson do ?

Alex is a great young player and he will prove us such - under a manager who knows how to get the best from young players.

truehibernian
26-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Hope I am wrong but I don't think he will make it. He needed to push on at this level and hasn't.

No he won't :wink:

HH81
26-10-2014, 05:09 PM
No he won't :wink:

Fair enough but he is not good enough at present.

Dalkeith Hibee
26-10-2014, 05:09 PM
I dont think the laddie really wants it enough. No hunger or desire.

Not sure of he has enough ability either

cleanyman
26-10-2014, 05:13 PM
He's not good enough.

As the above says, I don't see any hunger in his game.

J-C
26-10-2014, 05:14 PM
I think he was a bit of a flash in the pan, came from nowhere in the youth ranks had a good half season and has went back to being another annonymous extra, think a spell on loan might be needed.

LordBamba
26-10-2014, 05:19 PM
After the falkirk game I thought we had a top quality winger. Unfortunately he got injured and has done nothing to impress since. Something isn't quite right, still believe there's a player there but atm he isn't quite good enough

Bobby's Cinema
26-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Imo he's in there because we don't have enough options, not because he's the right one.

He has to do more when he gets his chance. And that's being kind

truehibernian
26-10-2014, 05:24 PM
In a different environment both Alex and Sam would be out on loan to get some real experience, game time, and getting the physical side of the game mastered. However due to relegation and options, we have to use them.

Both will come good, both are great players - both need full support.

.Sean.
26-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Not good enough.

Too timid and far too nice. He needs to grow a backbone or get tae, my heart sinks when I see him coming on as it's like playing with a man down.

There's no doubting his technical ability but he hasn't got the heart or the fire in his belly to make it.

Alfred E Newman
26-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Ridiculous thread. Harris like many before him seems to have been singled out for criticism by a section of the support who seem determined to hound him out of the club. It's pathetic.

Tyler Durden
26-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Not good enough.

Too timid and far too nice. He needs to grow a backbone or get tae, my heart sinks when I see him coming on as it's like playing with a man down.

There's no doubting his technical ability but he hasn't got the heart or the fire in his belly to make it.

Sean, not aimed at you but just quoting.

What has Harris got to do with today's result? Your first two sentences could apply to a few players. What has merited the OP to start this thread? Joke.

Gatecrasher
26-10-2014, 05:30 PM

I'm not going to go as far and say he won't make it but I agree with you in regards to these guys (handling, Harris and Stanton) not doing enough against poor opposition.

emerald green
26-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Imo he's in there because we don't have enough options, not because he's the right one.

He has to do more when he gets his chance. And that's being kind

:agree: The other unused subs were Craig, Heffernan and Booth. Which of the three would have been preferable as a sub for Allan?

I know this won't be universally popular, but Craig might have been the better choice on this occasion.

jacomo
26-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Ridiculous thread. Harris like many before him seems to have been singled out for criticism by a section of the support who seem determined to hound him out of the club. It's pathetic.

:agree:

How old is he? 19? Way too early to say one way or another. Some supporters need to share their opinions with fewer people IMO.

truehibernian
26-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Not good enough.

What did Sam Nicolson, Billy King and Callum Paterson do today......the latter is obvious :greengrin

Confidence is a huge thing in football and with attitudes like that from the stands, or indeed here, it's unsurprising that young players often fail to hit the ground running.

Hearts fans, sadly, show their youngsters far far more support - I watch both clubs and it's absolutely clear that this is true. Our support needs to change mindset and really support and cut some slack for young Alex, Sam, Jordan and Jason. God some on here tonight have had Danny go from hero (Livi) to villian (today)........really poor show in my opinion.

Berwickhibby
26-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Sean, not aimed at you but just quoting.

What has Harris got to do with today's result? Your first two sentences could apply to a few players. What has merited the OP to start this thread? Joke.

I started this thread, not a joke, my opinion has not changed, it appears that Alex Harris has lost his confidence since his injury last season. He is a good player but is not ready to step up to the first team just now as he offers nothing when on the park. I still believe a period in the u20's would do his confidence the world of good.

emerald green
26-10-2014, 05:43 PM

Please count me out of that. I definitely don't want to see that at all. :no way:

The lad has talent and potential. How much potential I really don't know.

Ever since his bad injury, and the way he was badly mis-managed by Butcher & Malpas, Alex has looked short of confidence and that's very important for any player. I honestly cannot say I've seen him having a really good game for some time.

It's the head coach's job to address that, but Hibs squad is still very threadbare IMHO and that's possibly why he is still getting a game in the first team albeit as a substitute.

LaMotta
26-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Not good enough.

He was better than Stanton so *** knows what you thought of his performance

Blaster
26-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Not good enough.

Like your mate booth Sean? Give me Harris anytime

truehibernian
26-10-2014, 05:48 PM
[/B]Please count me out of that. I definitely don't want to see that at all. :no way:

The lad has talent and potential. How much potential I really don't know.

Ever since his bad injury, and the way he was badly mis-managed by Butcher & Malpas, Alex has looked short of confidence and that's very important for any player. I honestly cannot say I've seen him having a really good game for some time.

It's the head coach's job to address that, but Hibs squad is still very threadbare IMHO and that's possibly why he is still getting a game in the first team albeit as a substitute.

You have to build confidence and that also comes with results, a squad united, good management and coaching........the way Butcher treated players was a disgrace by all accounts and Alex suffered hugely because of this. He's playing in the 20's, who IIRC, are on a bit of a roll, and he gets some sub appearances in what is a team unbeaten in 6 and playing well. Little steps forward for Alex and Sam but hugely important ones. Both will come good.

Kavinho
26-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Patience patience..

emerald green
26-10-2014, 05:52 PM
You have to build confidence and that also comes with results, a squad united, good management and coaching........the way Butcher treated players was a disgrace by all accounts and Alex suffered hugely because of this. He's playing in the 20's, who IIRC, are on a bit of a roll, and he gets some sub appearances in what is a team unbeaten in 6 and playing well. Little steps forward for Alex and Sam but hugely important ones. Both will come good.

Absolutely agree with all of that mate. :agree:

Tyler Durden
26-10-2014, 05:54 PM
I started this thread, not a joke, my opinion has not changed, it appears that Alex Harris has lost his confidence since his injury last season. He is a good player but is not ready to step up to the first team just now as he offers nothing when on the park. I still believe a period in the u20's would do his confidence the world of good.

Well you say his passing and defending was not good enough. I disagree.

He is mainly playing in the 20s, scored a good goal few weeks back against Rangers. He is building up again, did nothing of note today but doesn't merit a thread criticising him

DaveF
26-10-2014, 05:56 PM
What did Sam Nicolson, Billy King and Callum Paterson do today......the latter is obvious :greengrin

Confidence is a huge thing in football and with attitudes like that from the stands, or indeed here, it's unsurprising that young players often fail to hit the ground running.

Hearts fans, sadly, show their youngsters far far more support - I watch both clubs and it's absolutely clear that this is true. Our support needs to change mindset and really support and cut some slack for young Alex, Sam, Jordan and Jason. God some on here tonight have had Danny go from hero (Livi) to villian (today)........really poor show in my opinion.

I don't think it's as black and white as that TH. Hearts fans I know are quick to put the boot into the likes of Carrick, McKay, Robinson (when he was there) so it's not all happy days with them. They had to fling a whole load of youngsters into the team and the good ones some swam, others sank. As you allude to confidence is massive and if our kids had been in a winning team, playing with the confidence that brings every fan would be right behind them.

Deansy
26-10-2014, 05:58 PM
If Alex doesn't make the most of his god-given skills, which he undoubtedly has, it'll be truly heart-breaking !. Fortunately he's an intelligent-laddie and will eventually realise the effects of last-season's injury CAN be overcome.

Jonnyboy
26-10-2014, 06:08 PM
I thought Boozy was brought on to stifle the space Eckersley seemed to have down the left. After Boozy's introduction the supply from that source almost disappeared

ancient hibee
26-10-2014, 06:09 PM
The subs came on at a difficult time -by the time they got up to the speed of the game it was over.Might have been better to bring on experienced players such as Heffernan instead of Kennedy.Kennedy incidentally did nothing -does he get a thread to tell him he's c**p? -or is it that some credulous folk on here think he's Messi and Best rolled into one?

tamig
26-10-2014, 06:41 PM

Agreed. Absolutely ridiculous thread and some OTT comments from the resident experts.

DH1875
26-10-2014, 07:22 PM
WTF :confused:. There's a time and a place for threads like these and today aint the time. No idea why folk would choose to single him out on here today. Did he cost us the game?...........erm.......no.

marinello59
26-10-2014, 07:26 PM
WTF :confused:. There's a time and a place for threads like these and today aint the time. No idea why folk would choose to single him out on here today. Did he cost us the game?...........erm.......no.

Beggars belief doesn't it?
A brilliant positive support at the game today then you come on here and read some of the same old corrosive, self indulgent pish.

Saturday Boy
26-10-2014, 07:33 PM
A brilliant positive support at the game today then you come on here and read some of the same old corrosive, self indulgent pish.

Completly agree. I thought Harris looked sharp and made more of his few chances than Stanton after they came on. And while I'm having a moan, I can't understand the criticism of Handling either. I suspect it's a case of " youngsters nowadays "

JimBHibees
26-10-2014, 07:37 PM

Agree ridiculous criticism after an excellent performance.

inglisavhibs
26-10-2014, 07:42 PM

Agreed Malcolm

Hibs did most things right today including the subs for tired players. All that was missing was the second goal to kill them off and then of course the one in a thousand equaliser. There was some hope today and for the first time in years most of our players won their personal battles against the Hearts players. That's a bit of progress.

IberianHibernian
26-10-2014, 07:48 PM
For me the most talented player in the squad and almost the only player we have who is actually entertaining to watch . Comfortable with both feet and thinks before he passes . Think he`d be great in a good team ( 90% of our squad would not ) and hope we keep him long enough to prove that . If we released him tomorrow I reckon he`d have offers from loads of clubs . Of course reality is that we haven`t got a good team and have been relegated so workers may be more needed than talented players ( look at Hearts without talent but doing well ) but I don`t see many talented players in any other clubs including in top league so we should be doing all we can to keep him and improve him .

Michael
26-10-2014, 07:52 PM
He still has a small chance to make it IMO. Aaron Ramsay is a good example of a guy who struggled for a long time following a serious injury and then managed to turn it around.

Bostonhibby
26-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Good prospect who had a great weight of expectation shoved on his shoulders after Fenlon introduced him and he did well, problem was that Butcher just chucked him in and I seriously doubt him and Malpas will have inspired much belief in the kid. I rate him but the injury might still be worrying him, a run in the under 20's required then let's see if we get the pre injury and pre Butcher player back.

familyman
26-10-2014, 09:43 PM
This young player should go on loan, he lacks grit and is it his depth..the manager does him no favours by selecting him for a job he is presently well short of .he will get there but it will take at least another season maybe 2.

Hannah_hfc
26-10-2014, 11:28 PM
I mentioned at the end of last season that a loan move in say, the 1st division would do Harris wonders. A league he can knock in goals for fun and boost his confidence a bit. We've seen the potential.

Wotherspiniesta
26-10-2014, 11:51 PM
What did Harris do wrong when he came on? :confused:

Harris' name has popped up in a few threads before today making him the potential next scapegoat of the hibs.net blamegame crew.

In reality, he's a 19 year old laddie with a lot of talent.

Hermit Crab
26-10-2014, 11:51 PM
Never mind Harris, the game passed handling by!! Should never have started today. Awful!

The_Exile
27-10-2014, 12:02 AM
He could do with putting a wee bit of weight on for strength purposes, hopefully that's sorted with the backroom staff now. Think it's fair to say coming on as a sub in a derby is no easy task, no matter who you are.

R11Loaded
27-10-2014, 12:54 AM
In my opinion neither him or Stanton look capable at this level.

Never rated Handling but he seems to have actually grown a bit in size and ability this season.

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-10-2014, 08:48 AM
And folk wonder why the laddie is low on confidence... Hope he isn't reading this thread.

Ronniekirk
27-10-2014, 09:26 AM
He could do with putting a wee bit of weight on for strength purposes, hopefully that's sorted with the backroom staff now. Think it's fair to say coming on as a sub in a derby is no easy task, no matter who you are.
Agree re weight issue .Also take your point about coming on in Derby as sub but the three hearts subs didn't have same problem .
However the key moment for me was when he was wide right in acres of space received the ball and had time to run into box with pace at one defender and beat him and we would have had another chance but he just didn't want to even consider that and he put in a ball that was easily blocked . an on form confident Harris would have chosen a different option and not now sure what best option is for him But kennedy too looked a pale imitation of how he started with us so it's clear when not playing and confidence isn't high wingers are a luxury we can't afford at the minute it would seem

Hermit Crab
27-10-2014, 09:30 AM
And folk wonder why the laddie is low on confidence... Hope he isn't reading this thread.

If he's not man enough to accept criticism then he shouldn't be playing football.

hibbiedon
27-10-2014, 09:35 AM
He plays for Hibs, I support Hibs. So I will back him all the way

Allant1981
27-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Should he be immune to people saying he isnt playing well? Players love the attention when playing well and a 19yr old will be no different so needs to accept people will moan when not playing so well, hopefully he realises himself he needs to start playing to a higher standard as i think there is a player there

ancient hibee
27-10-2014, 05:23 PM
If he's not man enough to accept criticism then he shouldn't be playing football.

Quite right-I'm sure that he and Handling will treat it as the complete rubbish it is.

Pretty Boy
27-10-2014, 05:30 PM
People need to accept Harris probably isn't ready for 1st team football as a regular yet. He waa thrown in almost in desperation and was very good for a spell. He picked up a bad injury and his form has dipped massively, although it was on the slide before the injury.

Yes I expected more from him but maybe he needs a bit time to rebuild his confidence and self belief. Constantly tearing him apart at every opportunity isn't helping anyone and he needs support not written off. I still think he'll come good but his 1st team participation should be minimal for the time being.

mmmmhibby
27-10-2014, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=Hermit Crab;4209242]Never mind Harris, the game passed handling by!! Should never have started today. Awful![/QUOTE

What game were you watching?

Hermit Crab
27-10-2014, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=Hermit Crab;4209242]Never mind Harris, the game passed handling by!! Should never have started today. Awful![/QUOTE

What game were you watching?

Obviously not the same one as you. Scott Allan done two jobs yesterday. His own and most of the stuff handling should have been doing. Handling will appear for 5 minutes then disappear for 20. Yesterday the game passed him by, especially in the 2nd half.

Dunbar Hibee
27-10-2014, 11:14 PM
ridiculous thread.

SunshineOnLeith
27-10-2014, 11:43 PM
I think he was a bit of a flash in the pan, came from nowhere in the youth ranks had a good half season and has went back to being another annonymous extra, think a spell on loan might be needed.

Totally skipping over the fact he suffered a serious injury and had to try to find his feet again in the supportive environment of Butcher and Malpas managing him and the fans giving him obscene levels of abuse every time he tried something that didn't come off.

WestCoastHibby
28-10-2014, 01:15 AM
ridiculous thread.

Absolutely. I really hope the young man does not read the tripe on here. Mainly from armchair critics that couldny run for a bus and can trap a ball ten ft.
He's just young and never was the new messiah. Give him a break.

Matt92
28-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Alex Harris will come good: he has the ability and just needs the confidence which is completely shot by the morons that are determined to see him fail and hound him for every mistake he makes.

Fergos
28-10-2014, 06:45 AM
He plays for Hibs, I support Hibs. So I will back him all the way

Couldn't of put it better myself.......there's a few on this forum that should take a lead from this kind of attitude.....our players shouldn't be exempt from criticism but as a support some amongst us need to grow a set and actually support our young players and give them a chance to fullfill their potential of which AH has a lot.

GGTTH

Allant1981
28-10-2014, 07:09 AM
Alex Harris will come good: he has the ability and just needs the confidence which is completely shot by the morons that are determined to see him fail and hound him for every mistake he makes.

Morons? By saying he is playing rubbish that makes up morons? The guy should be destroying full backs in the 1st division but is not, should we applaud the fact that he can not do the basics of his job?

marinello59
28-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Morons? By saying he is playing rubbish that makes up morons? The guy should be destroying full backs in the 1st division but is not, should we applaud the fact that he can not do the basics of his job?

Which players in this division are fulfilling the basics of their job by destroying the opposition full backs?

SMAXXA
28-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Which players in this division are fulfilling the basics of their job by destroying the opposition full backs?

To be fair mate I'd say Nicholson and Walker could fall into that category as they look far better than Alex at present. Wouldn't write him off though just needed taking out the first team like Stanton and their development can continue without the constant pressure every week.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2014, 07:33 AM
I'd say every youngster that's come through the ranks is being compared to Brown Thomson Whittaker and Fletcher. And to be fair none of them have come close to them YET.

My own opinion is none of them will reach the heights they have, but Harris has shown he does have ability and has had some very good performances albeit before he was injured.

Its not great for them that they have all been thrown in when we have been struggling, and they were all thrown in when we have not had any big experienced players leaders, who could help them through.

PeeJay
28-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Harris showed a great degree of talent in a high-profile game, which everyone recalls and (sort of) expects him to repeat every time he turns out: that's unfair on him. For some reason his development as a player seems to have stalled badly - it may well be down to the injury, it may be other reasons - maybe he just doesn't have what it takes. Maybe a loan to another club would help him as our coaching staff seems unable to help him. As a team we cannot afford to carry anyone, so if he is in the squad he has to buckle down and start performing ... it's really as simple as that - he doesn't have to play like Messi, but he has to contribute more than he has of late (that applies not only to him IMO, but ...) - if he doesn't like the hostile environment of a football ground then he will have to seek some other form of employment - it is never only cup semi-finals and adulation....

Elephant Stone
28-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Harris showed a great degree of talent in a high-profile game, which everyone recalls and (sort of) expects him to repeat every time he turns out: that's unfair on him. For some reason his development as a player seems to have stalled badly - it may well be down to the injury, it may be other reasons - maybe he just doesn't have what it takes. Maybe a loan to another club would help him as our coaching staff seems unable to help him. As a team we cannot afford to carry anyone, so if he is in the squad he has to buckle down and start performing ... it's really as simple as that - he doesn't have to play like Messi, but he has to contribute more than he has of late (that applies not only to him IMO, but ...) - if he doesn't like the hostile environment of a football ground then he will have to seek some other form of employment - it is never only cup semi-finals and adulation....

I can think of fewer more hostile Hibs crowds than that very semi final.

PeeJay
28-10-2014, 08:55 AM
I can think of fewer more hostile Hibs crowds than that very semi final.

Fair point, except it wasn't ONLY hostile ... what parts do you think he will remember mostly?:greengrin

Keith_M
28-10-2014, 09:03 AM
It's possible people are comparing him to the player he replaced, a guy who was the best player on the park. Can't be easy living up to expectations in that kind of circumstance.

The guy was thrown in to the game because our squad is so poor that we have little options for substitutes. Some questioned why a more experienced player wasn't brought on instead, but the same people would then complain that a 'young, livelier player' would have contributed more than Craig.

Allant1981
28-10-2014, 11:02 AM

Well i dont watch any other team apart from hibs so i couldnt tell you