PDA

View Full Version : Hibs-Spartans link??

Mikey09
26-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Big thing made about this a few months ago and something I didn't really see of any benefit to Hibs as I have yet to see Spartans bringing through any top youngsters that have gone on to great things. So........ Was very puzzled when I heard from good sources that Spartans most exciting young player, George Hunter, was training with.... Yep.... You guessed it.... Our lovely neighbours from Gorgie!!!! Granted this is 2nd hand info but if this is true then questions must be asked about this supposed link between the clubs.

Gus Fring
26-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Big thing made about this a few months ago and something I didn't really see of any benefit to Hibs as I have yet to see Spartans bringing through any top youngsters that have gone on to great things. So........ Was very puzzled when I heard from good sources that Spartans most exciting young player, George Hunter, was training with.... Yep.... You guessed it.... Our lovely neighbours from Gorgie!!!! Granted this is 2nd hand info but if this is true then questions must be asked about this supposed link between the clubs.

This topic has come up numerous times. Hibs have a link up with the Spartans Community Football Academy, not Spartans FC. They are separate entities.

Secondly, only one person decides where George Hunter goes on trial and that's George Hunter. Not Hibs. We can't force him to trial with us just because of a link up with the company that happens to share the Spartans brand. A link up which only goes up to 11 years old.

Kato
26-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Granted this is 2nd hand info but if this is true then questions must be asked about this supposed link between the clubs.

Go on then, ask the questions that need to be asked. If you must.

Ozyhibby
26-10-2014, 03:08 PM
The link up is only for 8-11 year olds.
Hibs are getting a good deal.
Sam Stanton was a Spartans kids.
Spartans are reasonably new to youth football so there is not a long list of kids who came through there. They are taking it very seriously now.

silverhibee
26-10-2014, 04:14 PM
This topic has come up numerous times. Hibs have a link up with the Spartans Community Football Academy, not Spartans FC. They are separate entities.

Secondly, only one person decides where George Hunter goes on trial and that's George Hunter. Not Hibs. We can't force him to trial with us just because of a link up with the company that happens to share the Spartans brand. A link up which only goes up to 11 years old.

Was this made clear at the time.

Gus Fring
26-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Was this made clear at the time.

Made clear to who? Does it even matter? The link up is only up to 11 years old so the subject in question here doesn't fall into the remit.

We don't know the full story. Maybe both teams offered him a trial and he chose Hearts?
Maybe he's doing a week with them then a week with us? Maybe Hibs think the lowland league is his level and that he wouldn't be able to play in the championship? Maybe he wants lots of money? Maybe he isn't on trial at all and this is a rumour that's grown legs and now it's being used as yet another thing to whinge at Hibs about?

marinello59
26-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Full marks for finding a new and inventive way to have another kick at our club.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Full marks for finding a new and inventive way to have another kick at our club.

Only a matter of time until newborns are deemed not good enough for the Hibs....

silverhibee
26-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Made clear to who? Does it even matter? The link up is only up to 11 years old so the subject in question here doesn't fall into the remit.

We don't know the full story. Maybe both teams offered him a trial and he chose Hearts?
Maybe he's doing a week with them then a week with us? Maybe Hibs think the lowland league is his level and that he wouldn't be able to play in the championship? Maybe he wants lots of money? Maybe he isn't on trial at all and this is a rumour that's grown legs and now it's being used as yet another thing to whinge at Hibs about?

Erm Pluto and Thomas the Tank Engine, who do you think i mean.

We were never told it was a link up with kids it was blatantly made clear at the time that this would be a tie up with Spartans FC.

Gus Fring
26-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Erm Pluto and Thomas the Tank Engine, who do you think i mean.

We were never told it was a link up with kids it was blatantly made clear at the time that this would be a tie up with Spartans FC.

From the BBC article announcing the link up (which also announced George Craig's arrival)

Hibernian have appointed George Craig as head of football operations and also initiated a youth development partnership with Spartans.Former Falkirk managing director Craig leaves his youth development role with the Scottish FA.
And Hibs say "the best youngsters developed by Lowland League Spartans" will "progress through a jointly run Transition Academy".
The clubs are keen to develop players between the ages of eight and 11.

This one is from the Evening News article announcing the link up

The Hibernian and Spartans Transition Academy will initially focus on the development of the most promising eight to 11 year olds identified by coaches from the two clubs within a joint set-up. The two clubs aim to extend the arrangement, administered by a joint board, as the youngsters grow older.

and finally from Spartans themselves.

In particular, the Spartans & Hibernian Transition Academy will initially focus on the development of the most promising 8-11 year olds identified by coaches from the two clubs within a joint set-up, administered by a joint Board. It is the intention to extend the joint arrangement as these youngsters grow older. The Hibernian Academy, within the Scottish FA’s Club Academy Scotland programme, is already one of Scotland’s leading elite academies and this relationship will help build its reputation further.

unfortunately the Hibs sit does not have news stories dated before August so I can't quote that article. I'm sure it would have said similar though.

silverhibee
26-10-2014, 07:38 PM
From the BBC article announcing the link up (which also announced George Craig's arrival)

This one is from the Evening News article announcing the link up

and finally from Spartans themselves.

unfortunately the Hibs sit does not have news stories dated before August so I can't quote that article. I'm sure it would have said similar though.

:aok:

HarpyHibby
26-10-2014, 09:18 PM
26 goals in 9 games, training with Hearts but don't think Hibs have offered him anything as far as I'm aware. He's a hibby.

Mikey09
26-10-2014, 10:34 PM

Didn't think I was having a kick at our club. As others have said not a very clear situation but is there any need for the sarcastic reply?? I see it states they will be focusing on 8-11 year olds in particular. I understand the boy in question plays for one of there academy teams so would seem logical to me a kid of his ability would be put our way. He still might be. Bring up a discussion on here and get shouted down.... Maybe no bother again eh... :aok:

Gus Fring
26-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Didn't think I was having a kick at our club. As others have said not a very clear situation but is there any need for the sarcastic reply?? I see it states they will be focusing on 8-11 year olds in particular. I understand the boy in question plays for one of there academy teams so would seem logical to me a kid of his ability would be put our way. He still might be. Bring up a discussion on here and get shouted down.... Maybe no bother again eh... :aok:

It was more that it's been discussed very recently (within the last 2 weeks) and that we have no pull over Spartans FC players.

Spartans are a football club the same as we are so will sell him to the highest bidder. They only just signed Hunter in the summer so he is not one of their academy graduates so would not have qualified even if the age group was older as he didn't go through that system.

George Hunter is the same as any other footballer just now in terms of who can sign him. He's a player who didn't make it at Livingston and has found some form in the Lowland League.

truehibernian
27-10-2014, 10:29 AM
There's two youngsters at the performance school who are destined for huge careers with a little luck and hard work - both Hibs fans - one is with The Rangers - that's who we should be buying and investing in. The other lad, if he improves his attitude, will be a top player, and luckily he's with Hibs !

Ozyhibby
27-10-2014, 12:24 PM
It was more that it's been discussed very recently (within the last 2 weeks) and that we have no pull over Spartans FC players.

Spartans are a football club the same as we are so will sell him to the highest bidder. They only just signed Hunter in the summer so he is not one of their academy graduates so would not have qualified even if the age group was older as he didn't go through that system.

George Hunter is the same as any other footballer just now in terms of who can sign him. He's a player who didn't make it at Livingston and has found some form in the Lowland League.

He's not in the lowland league. He plays for Spartans u21's in East of Scotland.
I think.

Ozyhibby
27-10-2014, 12:28 PM
There's two youngsters at the performance school who are destined for huge careers with a little luck and hard work - both Hibs fans - one is with The Rangers - that's who we should be buying and investing in. The other lad, if he improves his attitude, will be a top player, and luckily he's with Hibs !

If they are in the 8-11 age group then they are still a million miles from being pro footballers and talk like that doesn't help them. All you can really say about players that age is that they are cracking young players.
Not a dig btw. There are indeed some cracking wee players at Spartans just now.

Leith_Hibee
27-10-2014, 12:39 PM
George is training full time with hearts this week. He's on Hibs' radar but Hearts were first to make a move. Celtic and Dundee Utd are also monitoring his progress. As previously mentioned, he's signed a contract with Spartans therefore if any club wants him then they will need to buy him.

He's not featured in the Spartans first team yet so I think a few people are getting ahead of themselves.

truehibernian
27-10-2014, 04:02 PM
If they are in the 8-11 age group then they are still a million miles from being pro footballers and talk like that doesn't help them. All you can really say about players that age is that they are cracking young players.
Not a dig btw. There are indeed some cracking wee players at Spartans just now.

They're not buddy - one is U15 and one U14.....still raw and very very young boys, but you base your judgements on what you have seen before, and the lad at The Rangers is very special. Indeed, it took me aback when Alan Preston twice mentioned him out the blue last week on Sportsound when discussing Mark Wotte - had me wondering about agents etc :cb:rolleyes:.

They are of course miles away from pro football, but you can still recognise a very talented footballer at every age group - and the boy I refer to could easily make the grade if he keeps on the trajectory he is going on.

I think you maybe misunderstood as well mate, I was referring to the SFA school, not Spartans or indeed Hibs youth set up.

It's why I constantly stick up for Danny Handling and Alex Harris - there is superb talent in the pair of them, however they have been thrust into the first team through necessity and for me without any real direction - Danny has played every position bar the one he has grown up playing (at top level), and Alex burst onto the scene, got a horrendous injury, and suddenly folk expected him to immediately get back to the player he was at Falkirk and Killie. He also had the loss of his father to deal with. Hence, and I'll always say this, Hibs fans need to be far far more forgiving and supportive to talents like Danny, Alex, Jordon and Jason. Cody Mulhall came back last week from a truly sickening injury - I hope he is allowed to play football, take his time, and learn.

I was delighted Stubbs gave Handling a long contract - vindicates me :greengrin

Ozyhibby
27-10-2014, 05:54 PM
They're not buddy - one is U15 and one U14.....still raw and very very young boys, but you base your judgements on what you have seen before, and the lad at The Rangers is very special. Indeed, it took me aback when Alan Preston twice mentioned him out the blue last week on Sportsound when discussing Mark Wotte - had me wondering about agents etc :cb:rolleyes:.

They are of course miles away from pro football, but you can still recognise a very talented footballer at every age group - and the boy I refer to could easily make the grade if he keeps on the trajectory he is going on.

I think you maybe misunderstood as well mate, I was referring to the SFA school, not Spartans or indeed Hibs youth set up.

It's why I constantly stick up for Danny Handling and Alex Harris - there is superb talent in the pair of them, however they have been thrust into the first team through necessity and for me without any real direction - Danny has played every position bar the one he has grown up playing (at top level), and Alex burst onto the scene, got a horrendous injury, and suddenly folk expected him to immediately get back to the player he was at Falkirk and Killie. He also had the loss of his father to deal with. Hence, and I'll always say this, Hibs fans need to be far far more forgiving and supportive to talents like Danny, Alex, Jordon and Jason. Cody Mulhall came back last week from a truly sickening injury - I hope he is allowed to play football, take his time, and learn.

I was delighted Stubbs gave Handling a long contract - vindicates me :greengrin

I did misunderstand you. I thought you were meaning kids in the Hibs Spartans link up.
Preston is a numpty for singling out a kid that young on radio like that though.