PDA

View Full Version : Charity bucket collection for brain tumour research - Hibs v Hearts 26th October

hibs62
24-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Just wanted to let you know there will be a bucket collection for the Western General Brain Cancer charity (Edinburgh Centre for Neuro-Oncology) at Sunday's derby. I have a terminal brain tumour and have seen first hand how hard they work to care for their patients, however, more people die under 40 years of age from brain tumours than any other cancer. Cancer Research only spend 1% of its funding on brain tumours, therefore, it is important money is given to local and UK charities to help gain more research into brain cancers. Please give what you can if you see me or any of my fellow bucket shakers! Thanks! GGTTH

If anyone isn't going to the game but wants to donate to brain tumour research, I have a just giving page which is for Brain Tumour Research UK . here is the link

https://www.justgiving.com/Lynne-Grant/

A BIG THANK YOU!!!!

Just to say we collected £2,250.00 for the Neuro-oncology department at the Western General. Thanks to all Hibs (and Hearts) fans who donated at today's game.

FranckSuzy
24-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Just wanted to let you know there will be a bucket collection for the Western General Brain Cancer charity (Edinburgh Centre for Neuro-Oncology) at Sunday's derby. I have a terminal brain tumour and have seen first hand how hard they work to care for their patients, however, more people die under 40 years of age from brain tumours than any other cancer. Cancer Research only spend 1% of its funding on brain tumours, therefore, it is important money is given to local and UK charities to help gain more research into brain cancers. Please give what you can if you see me or any of my fellow bucket shakers! Thanks! GGTTH

Sorry to hear that and I hope the collection raises a fair bit :aok:

monktonharp
24-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Just wanted to let you know there will be a bucket collection for the Western General Brain Cancer charity (Edinburgh Centre for Neuro-Oncology) at Sunday's derby. I have a terminal brain tumour and have seen first hand how hard they work to care for their patients, however, more people die under 40 years of age from brain tumours than any other cancer. Cancer Research only spend 1% of its funding on brain tumours, therefore, it is important money is given to local and UK charities to help gain more research into brain cancers. Please give what you can if you see me or any of my fellow bucket shakers! Thanks! GGTTHI will certainly look out for you, or any of the collectors. I was diagnosed 11 years ago, as having a possible tumour. I was operated on, and some substance removed from the temporal lobe area of the brain. 8 months later I went back to work but it was too early. I had a relapse, with fits etc but managed to come through what was the most depressing part of my life. I thank you for taking the brave step to try and highlight this disease, and hope you go on for a long time.

Jonnyboy
24-10-2014, 09:21 PM

Will definitely chip in :agree:

Hibernia&Alba
25-10-2014, 12:15 AM

Wow, I really hope all who see you will spare a little change and it adds up to a large total. I'm sure it will. I really can't imagine what it must be like to receive the kind of news you have. All the very best to you.

GreenLake
25-10-2014, 04:30 AM

I can't be there to donate into the bucket but I made one by paypal on The Brain Tumour Charity UK website (http://www.thebraintumourcharity.org). Good luck with your fund raising at the game.

oregonhibby
25-10-2014, 06:34 AM
My wife passed away in 2010 following nearly 16 years suffering from a tumour of the brain. I know first hand the wonderful work the DCN department carries out, the radiology department and the oncology department as they helped her through the various stages of her treatment.

A very worthy charity. It is a sobering experience to sit in the outpatient area and see how many people suffer from this cancer. It is also very uplifting to see how many of them can carry out their work and day to day activities due to the great work the doctors and nurses do.

Helen loved coming to the games and whilst latterly she could come in person she alway looked forward to seeing them on TV.

Keep fighting this with the help of the Western. A good donation is guaranteed from me.

DH1875
25-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Is it brain tumour UK, head smart, head ways, the brain tumour charity or the hospitals own charity that are doing the collection?

hibs62
25-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Is it brain tumour UK, head smart, head ways, the brain tumour charity or the hospitals own charity that are doing the collection?

The collection at the game is for the Western General and will specifically go to help local people suffering from any form of brain cancer, plus they have their own research team there. I think there may also be a link to my just giving page going in the programme as I recently set one up for Brain Tumour Research UK following a charity walk. We were going to put it in the programme in case anybody wants to give that didn't do so at the game.

ALL the money from the bucket collection on Sunday will be given to the Western's neuro-oncology team. Hope this is clear!

hibs62
25-10-2014, 07:34 AM
My wife passed away in 2010 following nearly 16 years suffering from a tumour of the brain. I know first hand the wonderful work the DCN department carries out, the radiology department and the oncology department as they helped her through the various stages of her treatment.

A very worthy charity. It is a sobering experience to sit in the outpatient area and see how many people suffer from this cancer. It is also very uplifting to see how many of them can carry out their work and day to day activities due to the great work the doctors and nurses do.

Helen loved coming to the games and whilst latterly she could come in person she alway looked forward to seeing them on TV.

Keep fighting this with the help of the Western. A good donation is guaranteed from me.

Sorry to hear about your wife. It is a sobering experience sitting in the out patient area and really difficult when you see kids coming in to get radiotherapy. I am hoping to keep going to the games as much as possible too and will aim to be around next season when we are back in the Premiership (hopefully!!!). Thanks in advance for your donation.

hibs62
25-10-2014, 07:38 AM
I will certainly look out for you, or any of the collectors. I was diagnosed 11 years ago, as having a possible tumour. I was operated on, and some substance removed from the temporal lobe area of the brain. 8 months later I went back to work but it was too early. I had a relapse, with fits etc but managed to come through what was the most depressing part of my life. I thank you for taking the brave step to try and highlight this disease, and hope you go on for a long time.

Thank you for sharing your story and hope you are fully fit now. I am aiming to try and highlight the serious lack of funding brain tumour research gets. I know the Western will spend whatever money we collect wisely and try and make the prognosis longer for people and eventually find a cure.

lord bunberry
25-10-2014, 08:34 AM
It's reading threads like this that put all my trivial problems into perspective. All the best to you hibs62, I will be there tomorrow and i'll make sure to look out for the buckets and make a donation.

nonshinyfinish
25-10-2014, 10:47 AM
The collection at the game is for the Western General and will specifically go to help local people suffering from any form of brain cancer, plus they have their own research team there. I think there may also be a link to my just giving page going in the programme as I recently set one up for Brain Tumour Research UK following a charity walk. We were going to put it in the programme in case anybody wants to give that didn't do so at the game.

ALL the money from the bucket collection on Sunday will be given to the Western's neuro-oncology team. Hope this is clear!

I lost my Dad to brain cancer two years ago – I salute your bravery.

Could you post the Just Giving link on here? I won't be at the game but I'd like to contribute.

hibs62
25-10-2014, 11:01 AM

Could you post the Just Giving link on here? I won't be at the game but I'd like to contribute.

Of course. So sorry to hear about your Dad. One day the outlook for people will be better.

My collection at the game is for the Western but my just giving page is for Brain Tumour Research UK. Here is my just giving page

Thanks

SmashinGlass
25-10-2014, 11:17 AM
I'll certainly look out and seek to make a donation. I lost an uncle (albeit not a close one) a few years back, who had suffered with tumours in his brain for the best part of 15 years, leaving behind my 4 cousins, all of whom were under 20 at the time.

A very worthy cause

nonshinyfinish
25-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Of course. So sorry to hear about your Dad. One day the outlook for people will be better.

My collection at the game is for the Western but my just giving page is for Brain Tumour Research UK. Here is my just giving page

Thanks

Thanks, donation sent.

hibs62
25-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks, donation sent.

Thanks for your generous donation.

oregonhibby
27-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Did you raise a good amount on Sunday? I hope so.

A lovely girl took my daughter's donation then mine. Good luck and keep going.

lord bunberry
28-10-2014, 08:15 AM
My daughter got a lollipop after I made a donation. I hope you took a few quid.

minglis
29-10-2014, 08:17 PM
I heard they raised £2300, well done everyone:-)

Scottie
29-10-2014, 08:22 PM
I heard they raised £2300, well done everyone:-)
Absolutely fabulous effort by all involved.

Every penny raised is a prisoner in the fight against this dreadful disease. Well done. :aok:

Gerard
29-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Good luck and health to you and I hope you have a very good collection.

givescotlandfreedom
29-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Great news, well done everyone.

Hannah_hfc
30-10-2014, 01:39 AM
Having lost my dad ( massive Hibee as well) to brain cancer last year I was heartened to see collectors at the game on Sunday. Well done to everyone who collected and donated! I had missed this thread before the game so it was lovely to see and definitely a cause I could relate to and keen to donate to :thumbsup

Hibernia&Alba
30-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Having lost my dad ( massive Hibee as well) to brain cancer last year I was heartened to see collectors at the game on Sunday. Well done to everyone who collected and donated! I had missed this thread before the game so it was lovely to see and definitely a cause I could relate to and keen to donate to :thumbsup

Very well said.

lyonhibs
30-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Likewise, but rather more like coming up on 8 years ago. Horrible barsteward of a disease.

Will get donating via justgiving.

zitelli62
30-10-2014, 10:51 AM
i lost my father to brain cancer 3 years ago he was also treated at the western, when his memory was going i was advised to ask him things he knew and a lot of the things i asked him were about hibs and he always got them right, i was not at the hearts game due to work so i did not know there was a collection but im glad there is a just giving link so i can donate there as all the staff at the hospital were excellent, hopefully the more we raise then one day maybe not in my lifetime but one day we can beat this horrible disease.