PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: Board supporter representatives

RSS Bot
24-10-2014, 03:50 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/4878)

Hibernian FC can today (Friday 24th October) announce the intention to have two Supporter Representatives elected to the Board of Directors.

A democratic election has been planned to allow supporters to nominate and subsequently elect the two new Directors in time for the first Board meeting of 2015, due to be held in January.

Any supporter aged 18 years and older with a season ticket for seasons 2012/13, 2013/14 or 2014/15 (as of Thursday 23rd October 2014) will be eligible to nominate themselves for election. Voting will also be restricted to this supporter group. Whilst we appreciate that this excludes a large number of supporters, a measure had to be put in place to ensure the authenticity of applicants and voters. The decision was informed by the results of the three consultation meetings at the start of September and the subsequent supporter consultation survey, which showed a preference for these categories. Current adult shareholders (as at Thursday 23rd October) are also eligible.

Details of the voting system will be announced in due course.

For those considering putting themselves forward a roles and responsibilities outline has been prepared and can be downloaded HERE.

In addition the Club’s current non-executive directors – Bruce Langham, Amanda Jones, Brian Houston and Colin McNeill – will make themselves available at dates to be confirmed to meet with prospective candidates who wish to speak with them about the responsibilities of being a board member.

Anybody looking to put themselves forward can do so by completing the details HERE. The deadline for nominations is 5pm, Friday 21st November.

Chief Executive Leeann Dempster said: “Having supporter representatives on the Board is a significant step in the involvement of supporters in the running and governance of the Club.

The consultation survey showed an overwhelming support for having representatives on the Board, with 85% of respondents answering positively.

We will now undertake the process by giving supporters the opportunity to put themselves forward for the opportunity.

This is an exciting time for everyone involved at Hibernian, and another step in having supporters play an increased role in influencing and shaping the future of our Club.”

If you have any questions relating to the process, or require confirmation of your client reference number for nomination purposes, please e-mail enquiries@hibernianfc.co.uk or phone 0131 656 7074.

Golden Bear
24-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Aye that selection procedure will weed out the chaff from the corn. It seems to be a quick and effective way of seeking suitable candidates.

:aok:

Bishop Hibee
24-10-2014, 04:20 PM
I await the voting system with interest. I promise free steak bakes for all upon my election. Do I have to grow a Petrie-style tasche?

Ozyhibby
24-10-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm putting myself up. Just leave you messages of support below.

Hibernia&Alba
24-10-2014, 04:34 PM
I await the voting system with interest. I promise free steak bakes for all upon my election. Do I have to grow a Petrie-style tasche?

What about the vegetarian fans? Sort it out, Bishop!!!!

Bishop Hibee
24-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Cheese and onion pasties will be available. Vote for none of the above!

Bostonhibby
24-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Going to run the risk of being branded one of those unfashionable negative types with this one so I'll start by saying I will get a vote because I am a shareholder.

However the criteria for verifying the "bona fides" of fans really does feel like an own goal when I think about those overseas or out of Edinburgh fans who go to great lengths to remain associated with their club (and would easily pass any credibility test as they are supporters club members) but happen not to have a season ticket due to distance - I know quite a few in that category - myself included - who certainly put more than the price of a season ticket into the club every year. They will feel a bit disenfranchised by this process as will other supporters clubs members who maybe don't have season tickets or shares for whatever reason.

I accept we have to start somewhere but I really do feel that it would not have been too much of a risk to include supporters club members along the same lines, or similar to the season ticket holder criteria. I suspect there will be a few supporters club members feeling the same way. The idea that a significant amount of supporters club members could somehow not be genuine supporters does feel a bit disconnected.

Anyhoo - will press the point at the next AGM, meantime I endorse the Blackpoolhibs nomination or Gordonsmith7 for the gig....................

Hibs7
24-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Selective personnel. Not fair or democratic .. Limiting the selection process limits the eligibility .. They can stick it where the sun doesn't shine ... Another own goal . Pish !!

marinello59
24-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Selective personnel. Not fair or democratic .. Limiting the selection process limits the eligibility .. They can stick it where the sun doesn't shine ... Another own goal . Pish !!

How would you set the criteria then?

Andy74
24-10-2014, 09:09 PM

It is democratic though. They asked all Hibs fans to comment on the preferred process and this was the most popular.

Jack
24-10-2014, 09:23 PM
How would you set the criteria then?

The voting itself apart I would have liked to have seen anyone nominated by the those mentioned being eligible, that could have made it more inclusive.

I think it might have also been useful for those putting themselves forward to have, say, 20 ST/shareholders backing their nomination.

Spike Mandela
24-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Finding two people who will represent a broad section of the Hibs support will be nigh on impossible if .net is anything to go by.

Whoever they are and no matter how well intentioned I hope for their sake's they have thick skins.

Bostonhibby
24-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Finding two people who will represent a broad section of the Hibs support will be nigh on impossible if .net is anything to go by.

Whoever they are and no matter how well intentioned I hope for their sake's they have thick skins.

Isn't Petrie already fulfilling that role, in a not involved sort of way?

The Harp
24-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Irrespective of supporter representatives, the time is long overdue for Pat Stanton to be invited to join the Board. Surely this should have been done a long time ago.

silverhibee
24-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Me Me Me

SaulGoodman
24-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Do you get paid? :duck:

lucky
24-10-2014, 11:41 PM
I think it a good idea and the fact you must have shown your commitment to the club by having a season ticket for 3 years is a good starting point. Electing two fans is a start it's not going to cure the club of all its ills but at least the ST holders will be able to elect 2 board members. But why not elect all our non executive directors?

macd123
25-10-2014, 02:10 AM
I would like to nominate Albert Kidd for the job. The mans a genius.

Phil D. Rolls
25-10-2014, 06:47 AM
I think it a good idea and the fact you must have shown your commitment to the club by having a season ticket for 3 years is a good starting point. Electing two fans is a start it's not going to cure the club of all its ills but at least the ST holders will be able to elect 2 board members. But why not elect all our non executive directors?

In what way will it improve anything?

Brizo
25-10-2014, 06:51 AM

I take my (Hibs) hat off to anyone who steps forward to fill these roles.

By the very nature of said roles a huge amount of what is discussed at board meetings etc will need to remain confidential. I can see them getting pestered for all sorts of information anytime they walk out their front door and it wont take long for that need for confidentiality to be misconstrued as them having sold out.

Poison chalice imo ..... however if you do want to vote for me I have a number of Hibs related tatts and if elected promise to make BTG a free bar.

Baldy Foghorn
25-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Do you get paid? :duck:

No......

Peevemor
25-10-2014, 07:04 AM
I take my (Hibs) hat off to anyone who steps forward to fill these roles.

By the very nature of said roles a huge amount of what is discussed at board meetings etc will need to remain confidential. I can see them getting pestered for all sorts of information anytime they walk out their front door and it wont take long for that need for confidentiality to be misconstrued as them having sold out.

Poison chalice imo ..... however if you do want to vote for me I have a number of Hibs related tatts and if elected promise to make BTG a free bar.

:agree: Exactly

marinello59
25-10-2014, 07:33 AM
The voting itself apart I would have liked to have seen anyone nominated by the those mentioned being eligible, that could have made it more inclusive.

I think it might have also been useful for those putting themselves forward to have, say, 20 ST/shareholders backing their nomination.

That does sound like a better way. I can only assume that the club have gone with the initial feedback from supporters on this one so I guess it could be changed in the future.
I don't really see what difference having a couple of supporters on the board will make though. I hope it does improve things but I really don't get the logic behind it. The minute they are appointed surely they become just another board member.

lucky
25-10-2014, 07:40 AM
In what way will it improve anything?

On the pitch nothing. But surely having being able to participate in selecting board members gives us fans more of a say in how the club is run. We are all unhappy with the way it is just now so why not support this initiative and lets see if fans on the board actually changes things round. To be fair it really can't get much worse.

lucky
25-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Anyone know how many ST holders we have that qualifys to participate in this selection and election?

silverhibee
25-10-2014, 07:55 AM
No......

I'm out then. :greengrin

Tom Hart RIP
25-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Irrespective of supporter representatives, the time is long overdue for Pat Stanton to be invited to join the Board. Surely this should have been done a long time ago.

Good shout.

Weststandwanab
25-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Anyone know how many ST holders we have that qualifys to participate in this selection and election?

A very good question which should be followed by how many are daft enough to even consider it !

Andy74
25-10-2014, 08:15 AM
That does sound like a better way. I can only assume that the club have gone with the initial feedback from supporters on this one so I guess it could be changed in the future.
I don't really see what difference having a couple of supporters on the board will make though. I hope it does improve things but I really don't get the logic behind it. The minute they are appointed surely they become just another board member.
That's right and their only duty is to the company. It's about fans feeling part of the process and having a say. Representative is probably the wrong word though.

Governance wise it's not the best way to have a functioning Board really. Members should be picked for the particular skills and expertise they would bring. To be fair Leeann acknowledged this at the meetings but said they were reacting to what was being asked for.

Scouse Hibee
25-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Will I be the first ever Scouser on the Hibs board if successful? :greengrin

Spike Mandela
25-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Will I be the first ever Scouser on the Hibs board if successful? :greengrin

You'll be the first Scouser on a board anywhere, EVER, surely, unless in front of a parole board mibb!:wink:

superfurryhibby
25-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Stanton should be asked. It would be an honour to get the greatest living Hibee on board the board.

Hibernia&Alba
25-10-2014, 10:11 AM
You'll be the first Scouser on a board anywhere, EVER, surely, unless in front of a parole board mibb!:wink:

Ha ha ha . Tremendous.

Scouse Hibee
25-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Ha ha ha . Tremendous.

What's tremendous about it? Typical stereotypical out dated pish!

:wink:

Scouse Hibee
25-10-2014, 10:15 AM

:gun: Watch it pal :wink: :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
25-10-2014, 10:18 AM
What's tremendous about it? Typical stereotypical out dated pish!

Where's the calm doon gif?

;-)

PatHead
25-10-2014, 10:56 AM

The way I read it was for any, rather than all, of the 3 seasons mentioned. Am I wrong?

matty_f
25-10-2014, 11:19 AM
The way I read it was for any, rather than all, of the 3 seasons mentioned. Am I wrong?

That's how I read it as well, to be fair though I just skimmed through. :greengrin

The Green Goblin
25-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Under the criteria for selection, could fans hypothetically vote for Pat Stanton as one of the nominees?

ancient hibee
25-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Now that I have a taste for fine wines and large cigars I feel my name should go forward.Additionally the Directors Box looks a far more comfortable place to snooze compared to my present seat in the West Stand surrounded by excitable rough ordinary people.

Stantons Angel
25-10-2014, 06:25 PM

A GREAT suggestion and one the club should have thought of years ago.

The man is a living Hibs legend and leading supporter! the fans listen to his every word and he carries a lot of credibility with them too.

He manged the club and played in on of the most famous teams we had. He has the dignity and respect of other footballers and he knows the game so well!

What more would they need on the board?

I will second your recommendation!!!

jacomo
25-10-2014, 06:33 PM

:agree:

Not sure how much churn there is, but I would guess around 10-11,000 people will be eligible to stand for election.

IMO this is a distraction at the moment and the wrong thing for Hibs to be focusing on, but as they are hell bent on pushing this forward I think the selection criteria are about right. There is a pragmatic reason why members of overseas associations are discounted - the successful candidates will need to be in Edinburgh regularly to attend board meetings.

Now the next question - what is the voting process?