PDA

View Full Version : Defenders opt for County

WestStandMoaner
23-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Hibs boss Alan Stubbs has revealed he’s still hoping sign a new defender despite having lost out on both Lewis Toshney and Paul Quinn.
Former Celtic youngster Toshney and ex-Motherwell star Quinn enjoyed trials with the Easter Road club, with Stubbs admitting that David Gray’s right-back berth was the only position lacking cover.
However, the head coach was left disappointed as first Toshney then Quinn opted to join Premiership outfit Ross County.

Why can,t we get the players we want ?

PatHead
23-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Hibs boss Alan Stubbs has revealed he’s still hoping sign a new defender despite having lost out on both Lewis Toshney and Paul Quinn.
Former Celtic youngster Toshney and ex-Motherwell star Quinn enjoyed trials with the Easter Road club, with Stubbs admitting that David Gray’s right-back berth was the only position lacking cover.
However, the head coach was left disappointed as first Toshney then Quinn opted to join Premiership outfit Ross County.

Because they don't want to be "cover" or play in the Championship? A 29 year old is surely not wanting to be a second choice full back and will want game time.

brog
23-10-2014, 02:11 PM

I think the clue may lie in the word Premiership. Our poor(ish) start to the season may have also played a part. FWIW, I believe we need cover but I'm not convinced either of those guys were the answer.

Craig_HFC
23-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Maybe because the difference in wages offered wasn't enough for them to drop down a division?

Just speculating btw, no inside info.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Given Ross County's leaky start to the season , I think both these boys are eyeing first team shirts every week. FWIW I suspect County are as good as down already and if the moves go tits up the deals would not be hard to get out of.

jdships
23-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Maybe because the difference in wages offered wasn't enough for them to drop down a division?

Just speculating btw, no inside info.

Understand from my one remaining lad at EM's that as soon as RC " appeared" it was " fairly obvious where he was going to end up !"
Simply preferred the Premiership to the Championship :rolleyes:
Understandable !! :greengrin

emerald green
23-10-2014, 06:14 PM

That, I'm afraid, is one of the many negative outcomes of any club being relegated, not just Hibs.

Golden Bear
23-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Just another consequence of relegation it's as easy as that.

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Because they don't want to be "cover" or play in the Championship? A 29 year old is surely not wanting to be a second choice full back and will want game time.

So why did he (Quinn) come here on trial then, he must have known he would be back up, he isn't even fully fit so i doubt he would have started any games if he was signed, and once again why come here on trial as he would be well aware what league we are in.

The same could be said for Toshney.

Or are we just letting any old journey man train at EM nowadays.

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 06:35 PM
I think the clue may lie in the word Premiership. Our poor(ish) start to the season may have also played a part. FWIW, I believe we need cover but I'm not convinced either of those guys were the answer.

Once again why did they just not go straight to Ross County for a trial and secure a deal, why even waste there time coming to Hibs if they had no intention of signing for us.

Lets be honest here and just say it's all about money why we lost out on both players.

Jonnyboy
23-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Regardless of the reasons they signed elsewhere I'd say we dodged two bullets anyway :wink:

Michael
23-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Well, I can honestly say that I never saw a day coming where a player (two in fact!) would rather sign for Ross County than Hibernian.

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Regardless of the reasons they signed elsewhere I'd say we dodged two bullets anyway :wink:

Allan Stubbs would maybe disagree J, he made a offer to Quinn so he obviously wanted to sign him after his trial period with Hibs, made him an offer and the next thing you no he is up Ross County training, i believe our offer wasn't the greatest.

Jonnyboy
23-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Allan Stubbs would maybe disagree J, he made a offer to Quinn so he obviously wanted to sign him after his trial period with Hibs, made him an offer and the next thing you no he is up Ross County training, i believe our offer wasn't the greatest.

Possibly all true P but I don't rate Quinn at all and will be interested to see how he does at RC :agree:

bingo70
23-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Possibly all true P but I don't rate Quinn at all and will be interested to see how he does at RC :agree:

Toshney is an absolute huddy so I was delighted we missed out on him, no idea about Quinn but I did think if he was any good better teams than Ross county would have been sniffing about him.

That said Stubbs did want them both so it is a bit embarrassing we missed out, in the greater scheme of things though I think we're probably better off for missing out on them.

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 07:30 PM

Stubbs must have seen something to go back in with a second offer for Quinn. :wink:

I did say that he wasn't looking the fittest but Stubbs wanted him.

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Toshney is an absolute huddy so I was delighted we missed out on him, no idea about Quinn but I did think if he was any good better teams than Ross county would have been sniffing about him.

That said Stubbs did want them both so it is a bit embarrassing we missed out, in the greater scheme of things though I think we're probably better off for missing out on them.

That's okay for us fans to give a opinion on a player but we don't do the signings, the manager does, and as you said Stubbs wanted the both of them and we missed out to Ross County, both these players would no the states of both clubs were in, Ross County looking like relegation contenders and it's Ross County, 100s of miles from anywhere, then you have Hibs, contenders to be promoted either by winning the league or through a play off spot, and back in to the SPL, and central belt of Scotland, it should be Hibs every time for both players, easy choice for them, what's letting these deals down. ?

bingo70
23-10-2014, 07:50 PM
That's okay for us fans to give a opinion on a player but we don't do the signings, the manager does, and as you said Stubbs wanted the both of them and we missed out to Ross County, both these players would no the states of both clubs were in, Ross County looking like relegation contenders and it's Ross County, 100s of miles from anywhere, then you have Hibs, contenders to be promoted either by winning the league or through a play off spot, and back in to the SPL, and central belt of Scotland, it should be Hibs every time for both players, easy choice for them, what's letting these deals down. ?

You're probably right and I probably should be more frustrated at missing out on them, I just can't find it within me to get annoyed at missing out on 2 poor/average players.

If anything I'm concerned that Stubbs wanted toshney.

lord bunberry
23-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Agreed. If they were any good they wouldn't be free agents at the end of October.

Sir David Gray
23-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Can't get too excited about missing out on signing either of them to be honest.

Although the fact that we're now losing out to Ross County for signing targets is a bit embarrassing.

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Agreed. If they were any good they wouldn't be free agents at the end of October.

What type of player are you expecting at the end of October, they are all going to be a tad unfit but we have to take a chance on one of them for cover for the defence, Stubbs says he still wants to bring some one in, are they going to be any better or worse than the two we have lost out on, that is the worry.

weonlywon6-2
23-10-2014, 08:15 PM

Money,Hibs are tighter than a feathered birds rear end

weonlywon6-2
23-10-2014, 08:18 PM

There is very little money in the scottish game now and players wages are not a high as some people would think.
Gary o said in the papers the other week he was on 8 or 900 a week,thats no a lot

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 08:31 PM
There is very little money in the scottish game now and players wages are not a high as some people would think.
Gary o said in the papers the other week he was on 8 or 900 a week,thats no a lot

Yeah i understand there isn't much money going about, but Hibs made a offer to Quinn and the next thing he done was jump in his car and head up North to Ross County, say's it all about what kind of offer we made to him.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Well, I can honestly say that I never saw a day coming where a player (two in fact!) would rather sign for Ross County than Hibernian.

Why do gypsies walk funny?
cos they've got crystal balls...

The Green Goblin
23-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Yeah i understand there isn't much money going about, but Hibs made a offer to Quinn and the next thing he done was jump in his car and head up North to Ross County, say's it all about what kind of offer we made to him.

Would the amount on offer and the contract have been decided by LD?

Peevemor
23-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Could it not be that Hibs offer reflected the players' worth to the club? 'If we can get him for x amount per week then fair enough, any more and we'd rather use the money elsewhere' sort of thing?

lord bunberry
23-10-2014, 08:49 PM
What type of player are you expecting at the end of October, they are all going to be a tad unfit but we have to take a chance on one of them for cover for the defence, Stubbs says he still wants to bring some one in, are they going to be any better or worse than the two we have lost out on, that is the worry.

Can we not bring in a loan player till January? Anyone that we get in now is going to take a while to get fit. I would try one of the younger boys at right back if Gray gets injured, It's not long till the window opens and we don't want to be stuck with a player that's not good enough taking a wage.

bingo70
23-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Can we not bring in a loan player till January? Anyone that we get in now is going to take a while to get fit. I would try one of the younger boys at right back if Gray gets injured, It's not long till the window opens and we don't want to be stuck with a player that's not good enough taking a wage.

Completely agree.

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Could it not be that Hibs offer reflected the players' worth to the club? 'If we can get him for x amount per week then fair enough, any more and we'd rather use the money elsewhere' sort of thing?

Hibs put in a 2nd offer, if they had put that offer to him in the first place he would be a Hibs player right now.

Lucius Apuleius
23-10-2014, 09:14 PM

Blow me Silver mate, you reckon we are promotion candidates now? Is that not a wee change of mindset? 😁

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 09:29 PM

If it was me i would bring a young lad in for cover and keep what money we have to get a couple of players in January, we must have a young lad who is ready to make the step up from the youths, that's what i would do.

FitbaFolkKen
23-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Could be any number of reasons they didn't join. David Gray is clearly our first choice though so if you had the choice of a starting spot in the league above or sitting on the bench in the league below I think it is fairly obvious what you would pick. Saying that another reason might be the length of deal, if a player is being brought in as cover it would not surprise me if they were only offered deals until the end of the season.

I'm not particularly fussed about missing out on either.

Jonnyboy
23-10-2014, 09:45 PM
If it was me i would bring a young lad in for cover and keep what money we have to get a couple of players in January, we must have a young lad who is ready to make the step up from the youths, that's what i would do.

Both Callum Crane and Aaron Dunsmore are full backs P and I reckon they are as ready as they'll ever be :agree:

Dashing Bob S
23-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Neither of those two muppets has set the heather on fire and they would be second choice replacements at best. I wouldn't go as far to say we dodged a bullet, but I refuse to cry myself to sleep over this one. County are desperate, and if those guys are first choice picks there in the Premiership they are probably already doomed.

PatHead
23-10-2014, 09:56 PM
We always moan about having players who are not interested and don't get Hibs. If they were not committed **** them. Dodged a bullet

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Would the amount on offer and the contract have been decided by LD?

LD was dealing with it.

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Blow me Silver mate, you reckon we are promotion candidates now? Is that not a wee change of mindset? 

Feeling positive tonight, reckon we will be in the play-off's so gives us the chance of promotion. :greengrin

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Both Callum Crane and Aaron Dunsmore are full backs P and I reckon they are as ready as they'll ever be :agree:

Then they should get there chance J. :agree:

Sir David Gray
25-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Paul Quinn puts Ross County ahead against St Mirren.

Spike Mandela
25-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Paul Quinn puts Ross County ahead against St Mirren.

:greengrin That was a nap!