PDA

View Full Version : When was Easter Rd at its loudest/best atmosphere?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-10-2014, 04:46 PM
What game, in your opinions, has been the loudest/best atmosphere at ER?

Mines is either New Year derby last season, Dnipro or Malmo. (I wasn't at the AEK game, was just a nipper).

MSK
22-10-2014, 04:55 PM
AEK ..was in the West that night & my ears were about bursting ..the 6-2 massacre of the Savilles was a brilliant atmosphere too ..albeit with a smaller crowd ..:agree:

hibbysam
22-10-2014, 04:55 PM
What game, in your opinions, has been the loudest/best atmosphere at ER?

Mines is either New Year derby last season, Dnipro or Malmo. (I wasn't at the AEK game, was just a nipper).

AEK was far and away the best atmosphere I've ever experienced.. Dnipro was up there with Stotty on the mic at both of these games. New year derby last year and the cup game the year before also springs to mind!

Hedlund12
22-10-2014, 04:57 PM
At ER it has to be...AEK Athens... memorable... and makes me smile to this day!!
Not part of your original question but away has to be: Scottish cup quarter final at killie followed by Malmo ;)

GreenArmyyy!
22-10-2014, 04:58 PM
For me the David Wotherspooniesta game was the loudest atmosphere I have ever been involved in at Easter Road. What a game, the Hibs club till closing afterwards was superb as well.

shetlandhibee
22-10-2014, 05:01 PM
The 1-0 (Wotherspoon) Scottish cup game for me but wasn't at the AEK game or the 6-2 derby demolition.

ruthven_raiders
22-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Probably when I was a little kid, my late dad took me to hibs hearts derby...early 70s 3-0 up after 30mins....down the slope if I remember. 35000 at the game, east terracing a sight to behold.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-10-2014, 05:09 PM
AEK Athens or Souness' first game at ER for me.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-10-2014, 05:14 PM
AEK or the Souness game against the team previously known as Rangers . Probably AEK shades it. Would have been nailed on if we had won it.

MSK
22-10-2014, 05:14 PM
AEK Athens or Souness' first game at ER for me.Oops ...forgot about that game ...:agree:

Alfred E Newman
22-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Probably when I was a little kid, my late dad took me to hibs hearts derby...early 70s 3-0 up after 30mins....down the slope if I remember. 35000 at the game, east terracing a sight to behold.

Arthur Duncan played through the middle and ran riot. The best atmosphere for me would have to be one of the European nights. Naples was brillient also the games against Leeds with over 40000 there, but the best for me was the second half against Sporting Lisbon and Jimmy O'Rourkes hat trick.

LancashireHibby
22-10-2014, 05:20 PM
The 1-0 cup win was the loudest by far for me. Insane goal celebrations.

RoslinInstHibby
22-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Oops ...forgot about that game ...:agree:

Aek Athens just edges out the 6-2 game for me....Both will live with me forever.

GreenArmyyy!
22-10-2014, 05:25 PM

The last ten minutes of that game were indescribable.

superfurryhibby
22-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Memories include the game v Leeds. c 1974. The 6-2 game brought tears to my eyes, the best derby performance since 1973, the place was rocking.

However, perhaps the most remarkable was last years SCF v Celtic. Never have I been prouder of being a Hibs fan. There were tears in my eyes that day too, we showed the worlds greatest fans a thing or two about backing your team.

O'Rourke3
22-10-2014, 05:29 PM
v Leeds in the UEFA Cup. No space in the ground at all.

Hiber-nation
22-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Hibs 6 Sporting Lisbon 1, Sept 27th 1972. Unbelievable atmosphere, even with the East Terrace uncovered in these days.

timewilltell
22-10-2014, 05:32 PM
v Leeds in the UEFA Cup. No space in the ground at all.

This...!

Plus Hibs v Sporting Lisbon 6-1

V Liverpool 1-0

V Naples 5-0

Classics....

Scònaldò
22-10-2014, 05:37 PM
This...!

Plus Hibs v Sporting Lisbon 6-1

V Liverpool 1-0

V Naples 5-0

Classics....

How come you auld folk got to see that kind of hibs and us young'uns have to endure the p*sh we have now?

Its no fair.

oregonhibby
22-10-2014, 05:39 PM
That's Fife! It was not all golden!

oregonhibby
22-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Ps AEK game was bouncing

timewilltell
22-10-2014, 05:41 PM
How come you auld folk got to see that kind of hibs and us young'uns have to endure the p*sh we have now?

Its no fair.

We were blessed with many magical European nights under the lights...Turnbulls Tornadoes....George Best...

Less of the 'auld folk' by the way!! Lol!

eastterrace
22-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Hibs 6 Sporting Lisbon 1, Sept 27th 1972. Unbelievable atmosphere, even with the East Terrace uncovered in these days.

definitely the sporting game followed by the napoli game , the unbeatable derby wisnae too bad as well

Leith Green
22-10-2014, 05:45 PM
I always remember the derby when O connor scored the last minute winner, that was a mental atmosphere right the way through.. Ref attacked, fans on the pitch, fighting outside the stadium.. The game was pretty mental and the atmosphere was unreal.. Think that was 2003

SteveHFC
22-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Met some of chat box mafia before the game too. Great day. One of my favourite Derby's of all time.

Another one for AEK. Atmosphere was incredible that night only if Luna scored at the end.

SteveHFC
22-10-2014, 05:48 PM

Its no fair.

I agree mate.

wazoo1875
22-10-2014, 05:54 PM
AEK Athens or Souness' first game at ER for me.

This for me too, Eddie May new years derby was a belting atmosphere too. There was around 25,000 at the game that night. Aek and O'connors last minute winner game stand out too.

Stax
22-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Against the Huns for Souness' 1st game, just mental in every way, Scorchio as well which seemed to add to it. Aek brilliant as well. In recent years I really enjoyed the relegation game with Dunfermline a few seasons ago. I was in section 43 with my son (9 at the time) and it was bouncing. His face was a picture, we stood the whole game and briefly it felt like the way football used to be.

weonlywon6-2
22-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Stevie archibalds goal at tynie in front of ten thousand hibbies,stunning

Hibs v celtic 4-3 game

Killie cup final,cheer up jimmy jeffries,throat was killing me

truehibernian
22-10-2014, 06:24 PM
The East v Videoton in the 1-0 win........never heard noise like it in years and I don't even think the crowd was that big that night.

Anderlecht 2-2 was crazy too.

SJNB Hibby
22-10-2014, 06:25 PM

Its no fair.

Typical Hibs:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
22-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Arthur Duncan played through the middle and ran riot. The best atmosphere for me would have to be one of the European nights. Naples was brillient also the games against Leeds with over 40000 there, but the best for me was the second half against Sporting Lisbon and Jimmy O'Rourkes hat trick.

Same here MB and the AEK game comes a close second

greenpaper55
22-10-2014, 06:30 PM

I forgot about the Sporting game ! there were so many great nights all so close together back then, changed days. Also a game against Celtic when there must have been near 50k in the ground-electric and scary !.

Hibeesmad
22-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Spoony 1-0 since the new east stand has been open! When everyone was singing green and white army it put goosebumps on you

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2014, 06:34 PM
As others have said, the Sporting Lisbon game was the best atmosphere at Easter Road i have been part of. Leeds twice, Juventus, Hadjuck Split was good too, a game folk seem to forget about.

There were also a few games against hertz and the huns where we had some huge crowds and great atmospheres too. Recently Athens was superb, but the Sporting Lisbon games was the best in my opinion.

Sudds_1
22-10-2014, 06:40 PM
AEK, by a country mile!

Cabbage East
22-10-2014, 06:45 PM
The first 2 seasons we came back up (1999,2000?) were class. We used to bully and intimidate teams at ER.

Scorrie
22-10-2014, 06:57 PM
The Souness game for me. Absolutely mental atmosphere. The atmosphere in the League Cup tie in 85 when O'Leary ballooned it over the bar was great.

Ronniekirk
22-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Aek Athens just edges out the 6-2 game for me....Both will live with me forever.
I would agree but I will throw another one in the mix that has stuck with me and it was a Cup semi final ? Against Aberdeen at Dens Park Dundee .i seem to remember the Atmosphere before the game was getting louder and louder with constant chanys of bring on the Hibees Think we got beat 3 0 possibly and John zCollins was a late sub .
The other more recent one was the Cup game at Killie when Griffiths got his Hatrick .The whole stand was shaking and we backed the team the whole game Think griffiths fed off that atmosphere when he looked out on his feet only to get a second wind and go on and complete his Hatrick

portycabbage
22-10-2014, 07:02 PM
AEK I reckon, unbeatable derby was good too. Didn't make 6-2 game, left house in Leith to get bus to mate's house in Porty when it was 1-0 to them, pleasantly surprised it was 2-1 to us. Watched with about 4 other hibbies and one jamtard, who said at 4 or 5 -1 "this is f***in shocking". "There's still ten minutes left!", I replied. Nowt to do with the atmosphere and wasn't there, but thought I'd share nonetheless!:greengrin

The Green Goblin
22-10-2014, 07:03 PM
The "unbeatable" derby. My ears just about melted when Boozy scored. When GOC put the 2nd away, I literally - no exaggeration - felt the whole West Stand shake and I shat myself for a split second mid-celebration. Good times. :greengrin

Billychaotic182
22-10-2014, 07:10 PM
I remember going mental in a game against Aberdeen. Can't remember the year but fletcher scored with the last touch of the ball to draw and the place was bouncing.

But last time I'd have to say either the 1-0 Scottish cup game against hearts after the horrible final. If not that then the new year game when we won through a Liam Craig pen

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-10-2014, 07:10 PM
If we are including sw1necastle, then for me it's the 1-2 game in 2005. Great backing throughout Garry O, then Deano with the winner. Roseburn end went tonto :greengrin

emerald green
22-10-2014, 07:39 PM
There have been so many I genuinely cannot pick just one game where ER was at its loudest/best atmosphere. So, just a small selection of games at ER (no away games):

The great European nights under the floodlights were always something special, especially 6-1 v Sporting Lisbon, 5-0 v Napoli, & 1-0 v Liverpool.

Another game which comes to mind for the atmosphere was beating Real Madrid 2-0, even though it was a friendly match. The old cliché was/is that Real never really play friendlies. Seeing Real in their all white strips under the lights for the first time, and beating them - fantastic atmosphere.

Beating the Yams 3-0 on New Years Day 1976 (we beat them so often those days I've picked this game - it was just so easy - a nice relaxed atmosphere :wink:). More recently, the 6-2 demolition, GO'Cs last minute winner game, the Spoonie Scottish Cup win, and the New Year 2-1 game in front of 20,000+.

Beating the Huns as a "welcome" present for Souness' first game for the Huns. Hibs fans went berserk when we scored and when he got sent off.

Great memories.

KdyHby
22-10-2014, 07:39 PM
The derby match post wallets attempted take over and the Souness match. In addition to that derby match, the atmosphere at matches against Aberdeen just after they nearly killed a Hibs fan was incredibly poisonous.

Waxy
22-10-2014, 07:43 PM
souness game 86
4-3 Scottish cup quarter v celtic 86.
2-1 v hearts 87

Doubt we'll see the like again.

OsloHibs
22-10-2014, 07:43 PM

The last derby I was at.. and I'll be there on Sunday. Cant wait- hoping for the same!

Michael
22-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Another one worth mentioning is the "do do do doo Arrrrtuuuur Boruc" game. :aok:

Iggy Pope
22-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Dundee United. Late 85-86 season. Very late.

LaMotta
22-10-2014, 08:01 PM
souness game 86
4-3 Scottish cup quarter v celtic 86.
2-1 v hearts 87

Doubt we'll see the like again.

That is mine - First derby win after 17 unsuccessful attempts, and first win of the 1980's. May and Kane for Hibs, Blobbo for Hearts. Fighting in the Hearts end, Pitch invasion at the end :greengrin

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/198710171.html

Stax
22-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Another one worth mentioning is the "do do do doo Arrrrtuuuur Boruc" game. :aok:
Not forgetting the "F*** you Samaras, F*** you Samaras" game :agree:

bookert
22-10-2014, 08:06 PM
V Liverpool for me, bucketing rain, harper scores, missed pen. Going out the ground it was so packed my feet never touched the ground.

GreenArmyyy!
22-10-2014, 08:07 PM
I remember going mental in a game against Aberdeen. Can't remember the year but fletcher scored with the last touch of the ball to draw and the place was bouncing.

But last time I'd have to say either the 1-0 Scottish cup game against hearts after the horrible final. If not that then the new year game when we won through a Liam Craig pen

The Aberdeen game you are referring to was under Mixu if my memory serves me right. We were on a pretty bad run at the time. I remember the sheer relief when the ball was scrambled over the line at the famous five end.

22-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Stevie archibalds goal at tynie in front of ten thousand hibbies,stunning

Hibs v celtic 4-3 game

Killie cup final,cheer up jimmy jeffries,throat was killing me

Pretty sure that was at Hampden not Easter Road mate :wink: But know what you mean, absolutely incrediable atmostphere that day, sunshine on leith at the end still sends shivers down my spine and puts a lump in my throat!

As for the best atmostphere i've experienced at ER, the new years derby was amazing as was the cup wins against them. When Spoonys goal hit the net the place just absolutely erupted!!!

LancashireHibby
22-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Spoony's shot seemed to take an absolute age to go in to the net, but you just knew the keeper wasn't going to save it. That split second of anticipation knowing it was going to be a goal was incredible.

GreenArmyyy!
22-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Spoony's shot seemed to take an absolute age to go in to the net, but you just knew the keeper wasn't going to save it. That split second of anticipation knowing it was going to be a goal was incredible.

That look on Spoony's face at the corner flag though...... Looked so happy that he could have burst.

craigmounthibby
22-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Weds night game v the team that used to be rangers in 1989. John Collins scored the winner in a 1-0 win. 29000 crowd and amazing bouncing in the east terracing.

Also New Years Derby in 1987. Place went so mental after Beastie scored the opening goal that I never even saw the cheats equaliser a min or so later. Game finished 2-2, but atmosphere was brilliant.

craigmounthibby
22-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Weds night game v the team that used to be rangers in 1989. John Collins scored the winner in a 1-0 win. 29000 crowd and amazing bouncing in the east terracing.

Also New Years Derby in 1987. Place went so mental after Beastie scored the opening goal that I never even saw the cheats equaliser a min or so later. Game finished 2-2, but atmosphere was brilliant.
And Dundee Utd at home on 3rd May 1986. Outstanding.

mca
22-10-2014, 08:33 PM

That was my first ever Derby... http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

( Does anyone remember why it was moved to the 6th ?? )

The Best Atmosphere for me was the Last Day of the East Stand.. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/boo%20hoo.gif

Bleeds green
22-10-2014, 08:37 PM
AEK and 6-2 get goosebumps thinking of both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
22-10-2014, 08:41 PM

:greengrin :top marks

eastterrace
22-10-2014, 08:42 PM
That was my first ever Derby... http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

( Does anyone remember why it was moved to the 6th ?? )

The Best Atmosphere for me was the Last Day of the East Stand.. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/boo%20hoo.gif

sure it got postponed due to wind and rain and was rescheduled a few days later on the 6th

thebakerboy
22-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Was at most of the games mentioned and in modern times was in the East for the AEK game doing the Hibee Bounce whether you wanted to or not was superb. When Paddy Stanton scored the equaliser in 94 mins at Tynie was great along with the Archie winner match. The 7 0 at tynie was good as it ended up with no Jambos left at Tynie. All the European games in the 60's and the Real Madrid friendly was superb but best of all I think was the Barcelona game with the Kinloch penalty winning the game after the Barca riot.

ruthven_raiders
22-10-2014, 08:46 PM
As others have said, the Sporting Lisbon game was the best atmosphere at Easter Road i have been part of. Leeds twice, Juventus, Hadjuck Split was good too, a game folk seem to forget about.

There were also a few games against hertz and the huns where we had some huge crowds and great atmospheres too. Recently Athens was superb, but the Sporting Lisbon games was the best in my opinion.

Was at the split game. 4-2 and I left my programme on the bus! Ahhhhh lol

eastterrace
22-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Was at the split game. 4-2 and I left my programme on the bus! Ahhhhh lol

should have knocked split out as well we were the better team but we gifted them a couple of goals that night , the cup winners cup was ours but we hit the dreaded slump.

wookie70
22-10-2014, 09:04 PM
AEK for me.

smurf
22-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Definitely the 2-1 win over the Yams in 1987 thanks to Paul Kane and Eddie May. The noise before kick off was incredible. Sadly, noise pre kick off is now almost non existent...

AEK Athens was very emotional and special.

And of course that home game v Dundee Utd as Sir Albert Kidd did his magic at Dens.

Bishop Hibee
22-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Hibs 2-1 Huns Souness game
Hibs 4-3 Celtc SC QF
AEK

And on a more obscure note http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=77815

HIbs v Airdie games were often 'feisty' affairs. I'm sure Airdrie had at least 1 player sent off too. Nothing about who the ref was but I remember him being so bad that the East was baying for his blood. Add that to the fact it was a floodlit game and the atmosphere and noise for 6662 was amazing. In fact after some searching on the web, a certain 'D Kirkwood' (hun bass), scored 2 pens!

cmcd
22-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Sporting game for me also Had 2 new front teeth put on a plate the day before and lost them (for a while) on the east terrace when the 3rd goal went in You will be pleased to know i found them eventually

rcarter1
22-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Wasn't at the some of the classics like AEK, 6-2, etc.

Pre Match: The post Mercer bid derby. Best/Worst atmosphere I have been involved with ever. Cwazy watching the East from the West stand.

During match: Last Years New years, and the derby where O'Neil and Harper scored in a 2-1 win. ' singing his song, walking in a Hibee wonderland'

weecounty hibby
22-10-2014, 10:19 PM
A few obvious ones that most will agree with. Surprised no one has mentioned Anderlecht. Lost my first wife when Dave Beaumont opened the scoring. Probably busiest I'd seen ER post East terracing reconstruction. Place went mental. Found her again at half time. Managed to lose her for good a few years later😊

Sir David Gray
22-10-2014, 10:28 PM

Being before my time, I've just checked back the records and it appears we actually lost that game that day.

Why on Earth would Easter Road have been rocking in a game we lost? :confused:

If you could go into great detail during your explanation then that would be fantastic! :aok:

Hibernia&Alba
22-10-2014, 11:03 PM
The derby match post wallets attempted take over and the Souness match. In addition to that derby match, the atmosphere at matches against Aberdeen just after they nearly killed a Hibs fan was incredibly poisonous.

I was a schoolboy. ER packed to the rafters and the most hostile atmosphere I've ever witnessed. It was carnage.

Dundee United. Late 85-86 season. Very late.

:-D

Better late than never.

Billy McKirdy
22-10-2014, 11:13 PM
The first 2 seasons we came back up (1999,2000?) were class. We used to bully and intimidate teams at ER.

That first derby of the season when we came up at ER was a great atmosphere.

Wee Russell scoring from the spot and McSwegan equalising for the savilles, also Stevie Fulton getting booked for being ugly hahaha.

That was the game ET watched on the TV.

ozwoody
22-10-2014, 11:21 PM
AEK Athens for me,place was electric from start to finish.
if we are throwing in derby matches,the game where hunter scored to end our horrible run against them.the nerves in the last ten minutes were excruciating but when the final whistle sounded the away end erupted with a mixture of relief and pure joy,grown men were crying.
im back for this Sunday's game after being away for 7 years in Aus and bringing my wife to her first ever derby,fingers crossed

NAE NOOKIE
22-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Seen a few Hibs Euro nights and they are usually good ..... But AEK Athens was just different from any match I have witnessed at ER, the atmosphere was surreal at times .... if Luna had netted that 3rd I'm positive the crowd would have been on the pitch.

The Souness game was brilliant too as was the 6 - 2 and the Spoony derby. There have been a few comeback matches, Dundee Utd a few years back and believe it or not the Dumbarton game this season .... its incredible the noise 6,000 folk can make if you give them a reason.

Away:

A cup semi in the 80s at Dens v the Sheep ... we lost 1 - 0 to a freak goal but the Hibs fans were brilliant all night.

The penalty defeat of the old Rangers at Hampden..... 7,000 legends that night.

The last 15 minutes of the 2013 cup final were special as were, believe it or not the first 20 odd minutes of the 2012 final, folk forget about that coz of the final outcome .... but up until everybody could see we had a bunch of losers playing for us that day we were kicking the Yams erses in the noise contest. You could barely hear them until they went 3 - 1 and a man up.

The Killie QF was brilliant too.

R11Loaded
23-10-2014, 04:01 AM
About 30 seconds before Hamilton's second

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

weonlywon6-2
23-10-2014, 04:54 AM
Being before my time, I've just checked back the records and it appears we actually lost that game that day.

Why on Earth would Easter Road have been rocking in a game we lost? :confused:

If you could go into great detail during your explanation then that would be fantastic! :aok:

The savilles were 7 minutes away from winning the league when up popped albert kidd,and we know the rest.The sense of relief in the ground was amazing,was some day and atmosphere

KdyHby
23-10-2014, 05:08 AM
The savilles were 7 minutes away from winning the league when up popped albert kidd,and we know the rest.The sense of relief in the ground was amazing,was some day and atmosphere

The crowd was less than 3,000, with many Hibs fans having left the city not wanting to be about when hearts won the league. After the match you'd have thought Hibs had won the world cup, fans hanging out of car window, horns getting blastered, wonderful.

Keith_M
23-10-2014, 09:13 AM
The win over Rangers when Souness was sent off.

Keith_M
23-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Forgot about that. Never known so much singing for a game we lost.

The chants of 'Dundee, Dundee' and 'Celtic, Celtic' were totally surreal :greengrin

The crowd was less than 3,000, with many Hibs fans having left the city not wanting to be about when hearts won the league. After the match you'd have thought Hibs had won the world cup, fans hanging out of car window, horns getting blastered, wonderful.

The crowd wasn't quite THAT small. It was officially given as 4,500.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2014, 09:16 AM
The 1-0 win over Rangers when Souness was sent off.

2-1?

Keith_M
23-10-2014, 09:22 AM
2-1?

Sorry, memory playing tricks on me.

Cheers.

:thumbsup:

West hamBERNIAN
23-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Definitely aek, was amazing. I remember a night game against rangers, a year or two after our last promotion. Kenny Miller scored an goal to make it 2-2. Was a brilliant atmosphere.

Waxy
23-10-2014, 09:48 AM
The years when the east was covered and standing wont be beat. Think from around 84ish till they put the seats in??? 90s

H18S NX
23-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Arthur Duncan played through the middle and ran riot. The best atmosphere for me would have to be one of the European nights. Naples was brillient also the games against Leeds with over 40000 there, but the best for me was the second half against Sporting Lisbon and Jimmy O'Rourkes hat trick.........Remember it well,happy happy days.

Steve20
23-10-2014, 10:03 AM
AEK Athens and the 6-2 game in my lifetime.

Bill Milne
23-10-2014, 10:06 AM
AEK was brilliant but, for me, Sporting blew it away. The Cave was about to be converted into a family area with bench seating (only the Besa game after Sporting allowing standing). I remember being in the Cave well before kick off time and it was rammed despite there being no-one else in other parts of the ground. My older brother couldn't get in as he had just started work and couldn't get there in time. Just the best atmosphere ever IMHO!!

Big Frank
23-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Bring back standing areas!!!

calumhibee1
23-10-2014, 10:13 AM
AEK by a mile for me. Is there any clips of the game kicking about on youtube?

H13BYM
23-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Against the Huns for Souness' 1st game, just mental in every way, Scorchio as well which seemed to add to it. Aek brilliant as well. In recent years I really enjoyed the relegation game with Dunfermline a few seasons ago. I was in section 43 with my son (9 at the time) and it was bouncing. His face was a picture, we stood the whole game and briefly it felt like the way football used to be.

Slap bang in the middle of the east terracing for souness's first game, and all his newly signed revolutionary international English superstars (somebody butcher?? and a few others), I was about 14 and had just had my first ever session, in the dalmeny I think, atmosphere was unbelievable and when the stramash kicked off, it got better, and when souness got red carded, it got better and when the second goal went in it got better, and when the final whistle went yup you guesses it .....

......... it was all over! :thumbsup::flag:

Pretty Boy
23-10-2014, 10:21 AM
If we are including sw1necastle, then for me it's the 1-2 game in 2005. Great backing throughout Garry O, then Deano with the winner. Roseburn end went tonto :greengrin

It's funny but for all the sheight times I've endured following Hibs to Tynecastle some of my best memories are from when we have won there.

Gordon Hunter game to end the 22 games. Benches uprooted from folk jumping on them, sure it was the day they opened 2 of their bus shelters too.

Andy Dow scoring on his debut, Hibs end wene mental. Think medals equalised late on sadly.

0-3 millenium derby. I just knew we were going to hump them that night.

1-2 with Shiels and O'Connor. Hibs end described by the match commander as 'bordering on hysteria'. As good as ruled them out of the race for Europe as well.

1-2 Caldwell game. Not a huge Hibs support but we never shut up all game and the celebrations at the winner were mental.

At ER best atmosphere for me was the Wotherspoon game. Just edged AEK imo, as the last 10 minutes we helped drag the team over the line. We simply had to win that game, and we did.

One Day
23-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Met some of chat box mafia before the game too. Great day. One of my favourite Derby's of all time.

Another one for AEK. Atmosphere was incredible that night only if Luna scored at the end.

I feel I have to ask, what the hell is chat box mafia

Torto7062
23-10-2014, 10:44 AM
1. AEK Athens
2. Celtic Skol Cup extratime win mid 80s
3. 6-2 DOOin of them
4. Dnipro
5. The return of Murdo an the boys
At E.R after SKOL CUP win

nonshinyfinish
23-10-2014, 11:12 AM
I always remember the derby when O connor scored the last minute winner, that was a mental atmosphere right the way through.. Ref attacked, fans on the pitch, fighting outside the stadium.. The game was pretty mental and the atmosphere was unreal.. Think that was 2003

The 10-men derby (Brebner sent off, wrongly, after about 30 min). My favourite memory of that game is walking round the back of the FF stand after the game, where Lawrie Reilly was hanging out the window conducting the crowd.

AEK game is the clear winner in my time watching Hibs.

Mr White
23-10-2014, 11:21 AM
walking round the back of the FF stand after the game, where Lawrie Reilly was hanging out the window conducting the crowd.

Brilliant :thumbsup:

6-2 for me. There was something in the air that night. The 6th goal is still my favourite ever hibs moment at easter road.

WeeRussell
23-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Simply; When we had the old East Stand or 'Terracing'

Not complaining that it's been rebuilt - and the stadium does look bonnier for it - but the atmosphere has never been the same in the games I've been to since.

KdyHby
23-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Forgot about that. Never known so much singing for a game we lost.

The chants of 'Dundee, Dundee' and 'Celtic, Celtic' were totally surreal :greengrin

The crowd wasn't quite THAT small. It was officially given as 4,500.

Old memory's playing tricks on me, 3513 according to here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee_United_F.C._season_1985-86

In checking this I found references to the CCS going to Leicester v Newcastle that day, and celebrating the Hearts loss by smashing up seats!

Moon unit
23-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Attended Berlin Union game at the weekend, 20,000 fans absolutely rocking the stadium, no hint of trouble, several beers outside the stands. This in the Bundisliga 2!
Made me realise how dead our game has become, lacking in vision, atmosphere and a complete rip off!..

PeeJay
23-10-2014, 12:32 PM
The Napoli game along with Leeds, Liverpool and SL were all magical moments - I always remember the special atmosphere when Joe Baker returned to ER - white boots, an apparently "unbeatable" Aberdeen team with Bobby Clark in goal and Baker scored the winning goal- it was "only" a league game (First time I'd seen Baker play) but the atmosphere was electric when Baker came out the tunnel and the place went barmy when he scored ...

Ross4356
23-10-2014, 12:36 PM
A bit of topic but the loudest cheer I've ever heard at ER was the Huns on the final game of the Season when McDonald scored for Motherwell

Famous Fiver
23-10-2014, 03:18 PM
The night we beat Real Madrid.
The night we beat Barcelona.
The night we beat Napoli.
When Joe Baker kissed the turf.

SaulGoodman
23-10-2014, 04:51 PM
A bit of topic but the loudest cheer I've ever heard at ER was the Huns on the final game of the Season when McDonald scored for Motherwell

You're joking?

NAE NOOKIE
23-10-2014, 05:01 PM

I was at that game and all I can say is ye cannae get tae ER much mate .... :cb

Flanny boy
23-10-2014, 05:06 PM
You're joking?
He has got to be joking eh?

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2014, 05:15 PM
You're joking?

That was my first thought too.

3pm
23-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Not too many mentions when Boozy and especially O'Connor scored in the 'unbeatable'.

Had to buy new pants on the way home.

jdships
23-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Hibs 6 Sporting Lisbon 1, Sept 27th 1972. :top marks

Never been another night/atmosphere like it since

Sir David Gray
23-10-2014, 06:44 PM

So you're trying to tell me that Hearts were only seven minutes away from winning the league?

I can't believe I've not heard about this before, I'm shocked that I've never read about it on here in the past. :confused:

So who won the league instead? :dunno:

weonlywon6-2
23-10-2014, 08:21 PM
So you're trying to tell me that Hearts were only seven minutes away from winning the league?

I can't believe I've not heard about this before, I'm shocked that I've never read about it on here in the past. :confused:

Not hearts !

EastCalderHibby
23-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Not hearts !

yer KIDD IN :wink: :greengrin

FranckSuzy
23-10-2014, 10:35 PM
yer KIDD IN :wink: :greengrin

They mita :agree:

silverhibee
23-10-2014, 10:48 PM
I feel I have to ask, what the hell is chat box mafia

It will cost you £10 to find out. :wink: :greengrin

Bad Martini
23-10-2014, 11:49 PM

Not complaining that it's been rebuilt - and the stadium does look bonnier for it - but the atmosphere has never been the same in the games I've been to since.

:aok:

Ayep. There's never been any such atmosphere like the old East gave us...or we generated. Either way, I miss the old East. At least I still have my old seat (and I paid for it :green grin)

dangermouse
24-10-2014, 09:20 AM

Fantastic game in the pouring rain. The crowd was that big I never saw the goal go in! Horsed 4-0 by Dundee on the Saturday in front of a bumper crowd. Typical Hibs!

dangermouse
24-10-2014, 10:34 AM

There must be video evidence of this somewhere as well :wink:

superfurryhibby
24-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Fantastic game in the pouring rain. The crowd was that big I never saw the goal go in! Horsed 4-0 by Dundee on the Saturday in front of a bumper crowd. Typical Hibs!

Was the 1989 2-1 a new year game that was delayed by the weather? If that the same game , then I remember the ground was rammed (29,000 my arse, add a good deal more onto that-unofficially of course. I remember the Dundee game too, 4-0 down at half time?

Tom Hart RIP
24-10-2014, 11:51 AM
I was in the FF when we beat Hearts 2-1 under Alex Mcleish. They were challenging for the league whilst we were on way to relegation. 2 fantastic goals from Basher and Kevin Harper.

Sir David Gray
24-10-2014, 12:52 PM
There must be video evidence of this somewhere as well :wink:

You would think so. Some pictures as well would help to piece together the events of that day for me, given that I wasn't born then.

Perhaps some kind soul could do that for me. :dunno:

Keith_M
24-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Old memory's playing tricks on me, 3513 according to here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee_United_F.C._season_1985-86

In checking this I found references to the CCS going to Leicester v Newcastle that day, and celebrating the Hearts loss by smashing up seats!

Cheers.

The missus is always on at me for exagerrating. :greengrin

One Day
24-10-2014, 01:02 PM
It will cost you £10 to find out. :wink: :greengrin

Will you give me a clue for £1

Scottie
24-10-2014, 02:15 PM
1. AEK Athens
2. Celtic Skol Cup extratime win mid 80s
3. 6-2 DOOin of them
4. Dnipro
5. The return of Murdo an the boys
At E.R after SKOL CUP win

:aok:

Ayep. There's never been any such atmosphere like the old East gave us...or we generated. Either way, I miss the old East. At least I still have my old seat (and I paid for it :green grin)

That run to the Skol cup final was amazing. The atmostphere at the Celtic quarter final and semi against Rangers was unreal. Even the final v Aberdeen the Hibs end was bouncing at 3-0 down.

Unfortunatley we will never hear the noise inside ER again that we had when the old east was terraced. :boo hoo:

emerald green
24-10-2014, 03:02 PM

Eh? As John McEnroe used to say..."you cannot be serious".

3,500 Huns made more noise cheering a goal for another team at another ground than crowds at ER ranging from 20,000+ recently to over 40,000 for some games in the past? :no way:

Islington Hibs
24-10-2014, 04:29 PM
While the Souness game probably shades it or me I was pretty proud of the support at Hampden the day we lost to Celtic in the cup final a couple of years back. Superb backing and singing.

nonshinyfinish
24-10-2014, 05:16 PM

Seriously. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIXWYMhdHB0&t=0m14s)

Alfred E Newman
24-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Here's one for the old school. Who remembers a game against Morton I think it was, played in the early 70s on an atrocious afternoon of pouring rain in front of only 5000. It was an early kick off due to power cuts and played in dark grim conditions with almost all the crowd crammed under the cover. I think the game finished 5-0 and the atmosphere was absolutely fantastic.

Hiber-nation
24-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Here's one for the old school. Who remembers a game against Morton I think it was, played in the early 70s on an atrocious afternoon of pouring rain in front of only 5000. It was an early kick off due to power cuts and played in dark grim conditions with almost all the crowd crammed under the cover. I think the game finished 5-0 and the atmosphere was absolutely fantastic.

I remember it well. Not sure why the crowd was so small other than the week before Xmas and the pish weather but we were superb that day and the hardcore made plenty noise.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=77981

Jonnyboy
24-10-2014, 08:24 PM

This fella? http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=77981

Broken Gnome
24-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Last game of the old main stand was a good one. Beat Dundee 3-0 and the last fifteen minutes was brilliant. Think it was the last game before a winter break and rounded off the first half of that season when we were right up there.

Mr White
24-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Last game of the old main stand was a good one. Beat Dundee 3-0 and the last fifteen minutes was brilliant. Think it was the last game before a winter break and rounded off the first half of that season when we were right up there.

It's slightly surreal now to think that claudio caniggia played for dundee that day and at the end of the following season would be included in argentina's world cup squad, albeit as a rangers player. Dundee had some great players at that time, it's no wonder they went bust :greengrin

One Day Soon
24-10-2014, 09:03 PM
The AEK game.

It took place two weeks after September 11th and there were all sorts of both memorable and weird moments. I seem to recall a spine tingling rendition of Sunshine on Leith coming from all four stands. There was a pitch invader. There was a pretty loud chant of USA, USA, USA at one point from the Hibs fans.

And it felt like we just might do it as the game went on. Paco Luna at the end is one of those things you never forget and you play it over and over again in your memory. For me that miss was a bit like Steve McQueen on the motor bike at the end of The Great Escape. Every time I watch it I hope that he will somehow, this time, make the jump on the bike over the barbed wire fence. But no matter how hard I wish it, Paco never scores that goal.

NAE NOOKIE
24-10-2014, 10:07 PM
The AEK game.

It took place two weeks after September 11th and there were all sorts of both memorable and weird moments. I seem to recall a spine tingling rendition of Sunshine on Leith coming from all four stands. There was a pitch invader. There was a pretty loud chant of USA, USA, USA at one point from the Hibs fans.

And it felt like we just might do it as the game went on. Paco Luna at the end is one of those things you never forget and you play it over and over again in your memory. For me that miss was a bit like Steve McQueen on the motor bike at the end of The Great Escape. Every time I watch it I hope that he will somehow, this time, make the jump on the bike over the barbed wire fence. But no matter how hard I wish it, Paco never scores that goal.

AEK are the muslim team in Athens. Without looking it up I think they were started by Turks .... anyway they had made some noise or other in support of the terror attacks ...... added on to the hard time the Hibs support got in Athens it certainly went towards the atmosphere that night.

We were behind the goals nearly in line with Luna's header, still cant believe it never went in. Just to rub salt into the wounds I think AEK got Inter Milan in the next round

Alfred E Newman
25-10-2014, 12:07 PM
This fella? http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=77981

That's the one Johnny. I think the lack of floodlights and early kick off was due to a miners strike and enforced power cuts to save electricity. It was a game that always stuck in the memory and of course yet another hat trick for Jimmy!

Alfred E Newman
25-10-2014, 12:16 PM
I should have said the soon to be replaced Jimmy O,Rourke. A look through the stats site shows the remarkable number of goals he scored around this time which added to the resentment among the support at his transfer and replacement Joe Harper.

HappyAsHellas
25-10-2014, 01:56 PM
AEK are the muslim team in Athens. Without looking it up I think they were started by Turks .... anyway they had made some noise or other in support of the terror attacks ...... added on to the hard time the Hibs support got in Athens it certainly went towards the atmosphere that night.

We were behind the goals nearly in line with Luna's header, still cant believe it never went in. Just to rub salt into the wounds I think AEK got Inter Milan in the next round

AEK are not a muslim team, but were founded by immigrants after the 1920's "exchange" with Turkey. Their nickname Χανουμακι translates as "little foreign girl". This is the derogatory nickname other teams refer to them as.

Still think the Napoli game takes a bit of beating atmosphere wise.

ancient hibee
25-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Barcelona
Napoli
AEK
Cup win against Rangers(last minute winner from Willie Hamilton)
and a strange one

v.Dundee United and they were wasting time and Matty Jack refused to throw the ball back to them \and we scored--great rocking atmosphere.

Golden Bear
25-10-2014, 07:01 PM
That's the one Johnny. I think the lack of floodlights and early kick off was due to a miners strike and enforced power cuts to save electricity. It was a game that always stuck in the memory and of course yet another hat trick for Jimmy!

I see Jimmy O'Rourke's nephew (Liam) was listed to play for Kelso against Peebles in an SFA south Region ChallengeCup tie today. I never really noticed the lad but his team were on the wrong end of an 8 - 0 drubbin.

superbam
25-10-2014, 08:03 PM

AEK are in no way a "muslim team". They were founded by greek refugees from turkey.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-11-2014, 08:18 PM
While the Souness game probably shades it or me I was pretty proud of the support at Hampden the day we lost to Celtic in the cup final a couple of years back. Superb backing and singing.

Stumbled across this earlier today on Youtube. Enjoy the 20 mins!

Souness' debut @ ER (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpOIwA1OcI)

Baldy Foghorn
17-11-2014, 08:54 PM

They got Inter Milan in Round 4, after beating Osijek and Litex Lovech.....

capitals_finest
17-11-2014, 09:09 PM
The AEK game.

AEK for me too, the only time I can remember all four stands being as noisy as each other. I m sure a USA flag was unfurled at half time in the middle of the east too...

Remember a teacher at school at the time who was a west ham fan telling me he listened to it on the radio and the hair on the back of his neck was standing up with the noise we made.

Also heard the AEK fans were kept back for a very long time after the game and they were thanking the police for this. This was followed by a police escort back to the airport. Think they were taken a back by the extremely hostile reception they got after the carry on over there.

Killiehibbie
17-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Stumbled across this earlier today on Youtube. Enjoy the 20 mins!

Souness' debut @ ER (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpOIwA1OcI)This should be in the meltdown thread. It all started with the souness revolution. Jail time for them all including Murray.

capitals_finest
17-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Another good one for me would be a late 90s mid week 1 1 against Celtic. Sure we came back late against them after we outplayed them most of the game. East was its usual excitable borderline loony self that night.

Kicked off later on Albion Road after Police decided to try leaving the barriers down.