PDA

View Full Version : John Nicol

oregonhibby
22-10-2014, 06:10 AM
It seems another great Hibee has left the building. I understand that John left the Club last Friday and will now set up his own design consultancy. He had worked for Hibs for over 15 years and was responsible for some of the best design and marketing material made by the Club ever. Now there will be those who will tear this thread to shreds because of the negativity and it is all about the players but the Club is much bigger than that and whilst the standards on the park over recent years has fallen unacceptably the quality and style generated by John has been outstanding. The store merchandise brochures that Dundee United copied in entirety in the Mowbray years, the neighbours are coming, the recent campaign with the test to demonstrate you are a Hibs fan and the recruiting centre for Butchers army are a few.

He and Russell Smith were a formidable team and they are away to do other things and I wish them well.

My enduring memory of John was turning up at the Club and we spent some time looking at the, then new, HHT brochure in preparation for the short trip to Dublin and we spent hours talking about Hibs, the imagery to be used and the look and feel of the document. He through of everything. We then sat and listened to the Real Radio phone in clip with a Hearts supporter complaining because Antii Neimi did not make the Scotland team. We sat and laughed for ages. A rare man of talent, humour and a Hibs heart. No he is not dead but he will be a sad loss for the Club. Hopefully he will be doing work on a contract basis and we can enjoy, at least, his design talents in the future.

Scouse Hibee
22-10-2014, 06:29 AM
It seems another great Hibee has left the building. I understand that John left the Club last Friday and will now set up his own design consultancy. He had worked for Hibs for over 15 years and was responsible for some of the best design and marketing material made by the Club ever. Now there will be those who will tear this thread to shreds because of the negativity and it is all about the players but the Club is much bigger than that and whilst the standards on the park over recent years has fallen unacceptably the quality and style generated by John has been outstanding. The store merchandise brochures that Dundee United copied in entirety in the Mowbray years, the neighbours are coming, the recent campaign with the test to demonstrate you are a Hibs fan and the recruiting centre for Butchers army are a few.

He and Russell Smith were a formidable team and they are away to do other things and I wish them well.

My enduring memory of John was turning up at the Club and we spent some time looking at the, then new, HHT brochure in preparation for the short trip to Dublin and we spent hours talking about Hibs, the imagery to be used and the look and feel of the document. He through of everything. We then sat and listened to the Real Radio phone in clip with a Hearts supporter complaining because Antii Neimi did not make the Scotland team. We sat and laughed for ages. A rare man of talent, humour and a Hibs heart. No he is not dead but he will be a sad loss for the Club. Hopefully he will be doing work on a contract basis and we can enjoy, at least, his design talents in the future.
I cringed at the Butchers army campaign, but most of his other stuff was excellent, good luck to him in his new ventures.

Mikey
22-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Very sorry to see him go.

I always felt a bit sorry for him as his work was often torn to shreds on here but he kept at it. The marketing double act that so many wanted out the door are now gone so let's see what we get in their place.

DarrenSQH
22-10-2014, 08:33 AM
A good hibee.

His best work was to include me on the picture on the back of one of the dvds.

lucky
22-10-2014, 10:52 AM
FFS he's not dead he's changing jobs

oregonhibby
22-10-2014, 11:39 AM
FFS he's not dead he's changing jobs

As I pointed out in my post!

Seveno
22-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Good luck in your new venture, John.

Raised a true Hibby by his wonderful Hibs-mad Mum.

Jonnyboy
22-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Disappointed to hear this. A good bloke and a staunch Hibby. I wish him well in his new venture

Jack
22-10-2014, 06:41 PM
A good Hibby. I understand rather than take tickets offered to him by the club he bought season tickets and sits with his mates in the East.

Good luck and one day we'll hopefully see your ideas on the West stand and elsewhere around the sterile stadium.

Gerard
22-10-2014, 06:56 PM
A good Hibby. I understand rather than take tickets offered to him by the club he bought season tickets and sits with his mates in the East.

Good luck and one day we'll hopefully see your ideas on the West stand and elsewhere around the sterile stadium.

I wish him well in his new job.

Stantons Angel
22-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Im really sorry to see John go as well as Russell and Amanda too.

They kept things ticking over at Hibs for many years under a lot of stress and pressure to perform.

John was a brilliant designer and did a few posters for me for my various charities fundraising which where much admired by the charity stakeholders.

Im sure he will succeed in his own business and will get the chance to flourish a lot more than he did at Hibs.

All the best for the future John im sure you will be a success and how will Hibs replace you i dont know.

Twiglet
22-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Im really sorry to see John go as well as Russell and Amanda too.

They kept things ticking over at Hibs for many years under a lot of stress and pressure to perform.

John was a brilliant designer and did a few posters for me for my various charities fundraising which where much admired by the charity stakeholders.

Im sure he will succeed in his own business and will get the chance to flourish a lot more than he did at Hibs.

All the best for the future John im sure you will be a success and how will Hibs replace you i dont know.

Amanda Jones?

Baldy Foghorn
22-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Amanda Jones?

Amanda Vitesse

NW
22-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Are there any staff left who are hibbys ?

Twiglet
22-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Amanda Vitesse

Thanks. Did wonder for a moment. Only Amanda I could think of was Jones.

Shore Thing
22-10-2014, 10:47 PM
All the best John!

Always really enjoyed his stuff, and got a small pile of various leaflets sitting in a drawer. I heard he came up with some really good designs for the outside of the stadium - would love to see his ideas, are they online anywhere?

(or are they top secret because they involve having the club crest on the West Stand?)

wookie70
22-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Not really a fan of marketing in general but the TBGAWA was cringe worthy in the extreme. Adverts tend to be a reason not to buy for me particularly if they are trying a wee bit too hard. I think Hibs have fallen into that trap recently but to be fair I wouldn't have fancied trying to sell seats at ER when the Team has been so grim or Football Tops that don't like like the Teams colours.

WHUHibs
23-10-2014, 06:43 AM
A good Hibby with seats in the East and someone with a good eye for detail. Both him and Russell worked very long hours for little reward but being Hibs fans they worked tirelessly!

Good luck John in your new role.