PDA

View Full Version : Livvy game in Portree

jodjam
16-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Working in Skye over the weekend. Usual watering hole is The Caley in Portree. Just wondered if any one else out and about in the town watching the game?

monktonharp
16-10-2014, 10:59 PM
long time since I was there, braw wee place but my god the "royal hotel" which is I'm sure the place me and the wife stayed in....... was mair like the auld white hoose in Craigmillar! a right starwars bar, nae jokin'. First, this auld guy says,....can I sit here? I says...of course mate. he then sits doon,tells us that he's local and works fur the council but he has 30 sheep,in that quaint highland accent. he also says they sent him to the "English school" when he was eight, as his family all spoke the Gaelic. had a great natter with him, and he says aye, lots of changes here and there's too many English with their money! then, the really gid bit, was this wee burd wi' an accent that was frae possibly the Orkneys.....she then says ,naw ahm frae Dumfries and if ye buy me a double Voddy, I'll show ye a trick. I did so, then she proceded to walk the full lenth of the bar on her hands! despite the fact that she wore a short skirt, although she kept the panties oan!:faf: deserved a double vodka,that did.

Hibernia&Alba
16-10-2014, 11:04 PM
long time since I was there, braw wee place but my god the "royal hotel" which is I'm sure the place me and the wife stayed in....... was mair like the auld white hoose in Craigmillar! a right starwars bar, nae jokin'. First, this auld guy says,....can I sit here? I says...of course mate. he then sits doon,tells us that he's local and works fur the council but he has 30 sheep,in that quaint highland accent. he also says they sent him to the "English school" when he was eight, as his family all spoke the Gaelic. had a great natter with him, and he says aye, lots of changes here and there's too many English with their money! then, the really gid bit, was this wee burd wi' an accent that was frae possibly the Orkneys.....she then says ,naw ahm frae Dumfries and if ye buy me a double Voddy, I'll show ye a trick. I did so, then she proceded to walk the full lenth of the bar on her hands! despite the fact that she wore a short skirt, although she kept the panties oan!:faf: deserved a double vodka,that did.

:-D

You find some real 'eccentrics' in those wee communities. I'm sure some of them have been sent there to be out of harm's way.

dp00
16-10-2014, 11:08 PM
I watched a derby up there last season... Ended up in a wee bar that never had sky so watched it on my iPad , ended up with 4/5 locals watching it with me... Good crack and an amazingly chilled out place

monktonharp
16-10-2014, 11:14 PM

You find some real 'eccentrics' in those wee communities. I'm sure some of them have been sent there to be out of harm's way.loved the craic, and was totally surprised when we knew beds were at a premium at that time,to get a response from the man behind the reception, naw wur full mate. I then said to him, ah, a kirkaldy golf club man(he had a polo shirt indicating that) .I'm from doon that way, worked wi loads o' fifers in the pits. he then said, ma Da wis a miner, gies 20 minutes, we'll get ye sorted oot. suddenly we had a room ready. braw!

monktonharp
16-10-2014, 11:16 PM
I watched a derby up there last season... Ended up in a wee bar that never had sky so watched it on my iPad , ended up with 4/5 locals watching it with me... Good crack and an amazingly chilled out placeI would love to go back to that particular wee part of our country. loved it.

Hibernia&Alba
16-10-2014, 11:17 PM
I watched a derby up there last season... Ended up in a wee bar that never had sky so watched it on my iPad , ended up with 4/5 locals watching it with me... Good crack and an amazingly chilled out place

Had they seen an I Pad before, or were they all scratching their heads in amazement? :-D

monktonharp
16-10-2014, 11:19 PM

You find some real 'eccentrics' in those wee communities. I'm sure some of them have been sent there to be out of harm's way.are you indicating, that there's living proof that care in the community is simply not working? lol

PatHead
16-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Went to Skye for the first time ever last year. Loved it, chilled central.

Off to Oban this weekend. Hope to find the same

monktonharp
16-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Had they seen an I Pad before, or were they all scratching their heads in amazement? :-Dvisit Skye. you can actually go over on a bridge(free) these days. magical place,and you can sing the Skye boat song on the way back with the ferry from ARMADALE.

monktonharp
16-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Went to Skye for the first time ever last year. Loved it, chilled central.

Off to Oban this weekend. Hope to find the same Don't miss the trip over to Mull if you find time. boozer almost opposite the ferry terminal. :cb

Hibernia&Alba
16-10-2014, 11:27 PM
visit Skye. you can actually go over on a bridge(free) these days. magical place,and you can sing the Skye boat song on the way back with the ferry from ARMADALE.

Aye, I've never been. I'd like to see the islands at some point.

PatHead
16-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Don't miss the trip over to Mull if you find time. boozer almost opposite the ferry terminal. :cb

Hoping to do that. how long is the trip?

Hibernia&Alba
16-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Don't miss the trip over to Mull if you find time. boozer almost opposite the ferry terminal. :cb

I said before on he Livi thread, it's amazing how everywhere is referenced by pubs in Scotland. Any place where it's hard to get a drink is doomed :-D

PatHead
16-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Can you get a drink on the boat? :-)

aunty joyce
17-10-2014, 01:55 AM
If I recall correctly PatHead I'm sure you can 🍻🍻🍻

aunty joyce
17-10-2014, 01:57 AM
Harry Dick's on the pier is a good place for the craic - probably not much bigger than the foyer at Behind the Goals but had many a good night in there some years back 👍

jodjam
17-10-2014, 05:30 AM
I would love to go back to that particular wee part of our country. loved it.

I'm really lucky that I'm up there loads. It's a stunning island

skyehibee
17-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Working in Skye over the weekend. Usual watering hole is The Caley in Portree. Just wondered if any one else out and about in the town watching the game?

The Caley and The Isles hotel are your best bet for showing the game.

jodjam
17-10-2014, 10:30 AM
The Caley and The Isles hotel are your best bet for showing the game.

Yeah staying next to caley so was gonna head there but just wondered if any other hibs fans out watching it