PDA

View Full Version : BBC Price of football research

H18 SFR
14-10-2014, 11:45 PM
We are the most expensive club outside of the Premiership and Championship in England in BRITAIN. We are in fact more expensive than many of the Championship clubs down there and more expensive than some English Prem teams.

Also the most expensive in Scotland.

One word...shafted!

lord bunberry
15-10-2014, 02:19 AM
Don't worry we're going to win the league this year and justify those prices. Apparently

Pete
15-10-2014, 02:52 AM
We are the most expensive club outside of the Premiership and Championship in England in BRITAIN. We are in fact more expensive than many of the Championship clubs down there and more expensive than some English Prem teams.

One word...shafted!

If you buy a season ticket for the famous five you get a child's one free. A child's season ticket (which can cost as little as £25) also gets you lots of discounts for pay at the gate customers.

Maybe not a cheap "day out" for walk-ups but season ticket holders with kids can get good deals. Does this survey take all that into account?

One word: misleading.

GreenLake
15-10-2014, 02:57 AM

One word...shafted!

Our prices for live game audio streaming are quite high too.

Pete
15-10-2014, 03:19 AM
Killie pies cost £1.70.

A week old, reheated one of those would taste a lot better than the things we are given the option of buying.

Get it sorted Leeann.:aok:

I'm_cabbaged
15-10-2014, 04:29 AM
Killie pies cost £1.70.

A week old, reheated one of those would taste a lot better than the things we are given the option of buying.

Get it sorted Leeann.:aok:

Catering has nothing to so with hibs, the facilities are leased out.

Mr Grieves
15-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Hibs decide who provides the match day catering, so how can you say they have nothing to do with it?

Twiglet
15-10-2014, 06:34 AM

One word...shafted!

Celtic are more expensive. Also that doesn't have the rangers in it. Hearts most expensive ST is also £45 dearer than Hibs. The table is too basic, how many hearts fans paid £260 for a ST? What is the average cost of an adult ticket bought this season?

Beefster
15-10-2014, 07:19 AM

One word...shafted!

We are expensive but your post is a bit of spin that a Hearts fan would be proud of. Aside from the fact that Rangers don't seem to have responded, we don't even have the most expensive ST in the Championship.

marinello59
15-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Celtic are more expensive. Also that doesn't have the rangers in it. Hearts most expensive ST is also £45 dearer than Hibs. The table is too basic, how many hearts fans paid £260 for a ST? What is the average cost of an adult ticket bought this season?

Basic or not given what we are seeing on the pitch people are obviously going to feel that we are paying too much. And we are.
What the survey really shows though is that all football is overpriced, not just our club. Whilst we tolerate and justify average players being paid wages most of us can only dream of it isn't going to change.

poolman
15-10-2014, 07:32 AM

One word...shafted!

:dummytit:

Pretty Boy
15-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Whilst the statement about us being the 'most expensive' is inaccurate, we are too expensive.

£22 for a walk up to a Scottish Championship match is ridiculous. I underdtand there are good deals if you have kids, are a pensioner, student etc but I'm an adult of working age with no kids, my £355 ST averages out at about £19.70 a game which is better but still expensive for 2nd tier football in Scotland.

hibs4thecup1988
15-10-2014, 07:57 AM
:dummytit:

Any need?

the prices are ridiculous. I am not going to lie I have not been to Easter Road this season due to the costs. I am not paying £34 for me and my son to go watch us against the likes of Raith or Dumbarton. It is absolutely scandalous. And the fact that if I want to go to the derby with me, my son and my girlfriend it will be £70 that is terrible. Not even before talking about drinks, food, programmes etc etc.

Not for me thanks.

green&left
15-10-2014, 07:58 AM

Hearts' £260 STs were for the gorgie road end and main stand so probably around 7k? The £45 season tickets for only for the 3 centre upper tier blocks of the wheatfield (which included leather seats, not that i care about that).

Hibs are a rip-off this season, simple as that.

Cost me the same for Espanyol (La Liga, fantastic quality of football on offer from both them and Malaga) two weeks back as would've for the Dumbarton match on Saturday.

But hey ho, apparently we need to charge top dollar to remain competitive. Which has worked wonders so far :duck:

Regarding Celtic, boy in my works a big Tim and i'm sure he said when rangers went bust they knocked £100 of a season ticket and included one scottish cup or league cup tie with a season ticket and a european qualifier.

hibeesjoe
15-10-2014, 07:59 AM
http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29527838

According too this calculator every goal I seen at home in the league last season cost me £17.75. Haha what a bargain.

Although a bit misleading, the survey doesn't take in too account cup games and other merchandise you might buy apart from replica tops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Keith_M
15-10-2014, 08:07 AM
FWIW, both Hearts and The Rangers have STs that are cheaper than ours but both also have STs that are more expensive.

Hibs seem to be the only Club that operates pretty much the same price throughout the Stadium (with the exception of FF Lower)

Final comment: Yes, it IS too expensive.

Bostonhibby
15-10-2014, 08:19 AM

Its the Beeb, seemingly randomly deciding to do something that shows Hibs unfavourably. How did they miss the yam scandal over stolen charity money, cash belonging to others supposedly resting in their account, the great council tax deal they enjoyed whilst the rest of Edinburgh pay, the free use of HWU facilities.........

I could go on.

Hibs are a mess on pricing but you could hardly say that we have hidden any of it, per above.

Yamtastic story.

Mr Grieves
15-10-2014, 08:40 AM
So, excluding the rangers, we have the -
Most expensive "cheapest season ticket" in Scotland.
6th highest priced "most expensive season ticket" in Scotland.
3rd (with 3 other clubs) highest priced "cheap match day ticket" in Scotland.
5th highest priced "most expensive match day ticket" in Scotland.
20th highest priced Programme in Scotland.
Most expensive (and *****-ist!) Pies in Scotland.
Most expensive Tea (joint with 4 other clubs) in Scotland
9th most expensive Home top in Scotland

We're certainly not value for money...

dangermouse
15-10-2014, 08:50 AM

One word...shafted!

The survey fails to take in the disgusting amounts of TV money ploughed into both the EPL and Championship. I'm sure if Hibs got similar amounts of cash the prices would be cheaper.

PeterboroHibee
15-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Its the Beeb, seemingly randomly deciding to do something that shows Hibs unfavourably.

They do it every year, and its hardly aimed at making Hibs look bad.

Theres 207 clubs on the link, and theres only so much information they can actually show. People are correct when they mention deals that arent included (eg kids ST packages), but then I imagine most clubs will be in the same position. To allow for a fair comparison, it does need to be based on an individual adults matchday experience. I disagreed with the decision to freeze ST prices as there were no guarantees about how we would perform, and results so far have backed that up. For a Championship club who isnt competing at the top of the league, we are far too expensive.

DarrenSQH
15-10-2014, 09:30 AM
The european prices are insane. Portugese league is amazing.

Real Madrid, Barca, Man city, Porto, benfica, PSG, Milan, Ajax are all way less that Hibs.

Sporting Lisbon have season tickets for 54 quid!

marinello59
15-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Real Madrid, Barca, Man city, Porto, benfica, PSG, Milan, Ajax are all way less that Hibs.

Apparently the English Premier League clubs could afford to let every one in free and they would still have as much income as they did under the previous TV deal. That's what we are up against in Scotland where we don't have the same TV revenue but still suffer the effects of wages being inflated exponentially by the media cash.

DarrenSQH
15-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Apparently the English Premier League clubs could afford to let every one in free and they would still have as much income as they did under the previous TV deal. That's what we are up against in Scotland where we don't have the same TV revenue but still suffer the effects of wages being inflated exponentially by the media cash.

That explains the englsih clubs but prices across Europe in pretty much every country are way way below scottish prices.

Our system seems to be the one which has failed the ordinary fan the most.

I mean my Scotland ticket for a Friendly next month cost more that a Sporting Lisbon season ticket.

H18 SFR
15-10-2014, 10:01 AM
I sense from what I'd consider the majority of posts that my original view point that we are being shafted is perhaps unfair on the club.

I stand corrected, perhaps having reconsidered, it is clear that we are indeed good value for money when you take into account the overall financial aspects and the quality of the product.

Saturday Boy
15-10-2014, 10:02 AM

I was was at the Sporting v Porto match on 26 September, the cheapest ticket available to buy for "publicos" rather than "socios" was €38, high up behind the corner flag. I should have bought a season ticket and stayed for another week.

H18 SFR
15-10-2014, 10:03 AM
The survey fails to take in the disgusting amounts of TV money ploughed into both the EPL and Championship. I'm sure if Hibs got similar amounts of cash the prices would be cheaper.

I personally love watching the English leagues, the games are highly entertaining, as far as I'm concerned as a viewer they can keep pumping in the cash to bring some of the best players from around the world.

Nutmegged
15-10-2014, 10:16 AM
I personally love watching the English leagues, the games are highly entertaining, as far as I'm concerned as a viewer they can keep pumping in the cash to bring some of the best players from around the world.

Unfortunately more and more Scottish kids will also be of this opinion and every club in Scotland will see the continual decline of interest in Scottish clubs from younger fans

bobbyhibs1983
15-10-2014, 10:28 AM

in fairness IMO alot of people dont think of the amount of wages the epl teams, esp the top 5-6 teams (in the epl) pay.
I recall alan sugar mentioning in his book the % of money given to the wages ratio, and it was something like 80% if i recall. so in theory, if a team in the epl was given x amount for tv rights, as well as other income streams then 80% of that money went on wages.

Im sure if i recall from reading on here, that hibs do pretty well in regards there % i seem to recall a figure around 47%?

GreenLake
15-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Hibs should have plenty to do with catering as they agree to the lease. Caterers should not get near a lease without demonstrating a standard of food and drink and the lease should be agreed upon that - not a highest bid which is likely to be made by those willing to peddle the cheapest crap at the highest prices.

Have cook offs by the applicants at free training nights at ER and let the fans decide who gets the lease. Just three caterers at a time due to the difficulty of scoffing more than three pies. :greengrin

The Hibs catering lease will include a rise each year according to this formula.

(New Price of Pies - Old Price of Pies) x Diff* = A where New Lease Price = Old Lease Price + A%

* Diff = the difference in temperature between the outside and the center of the pie in degrees Farenheit.

sambajustice
15-10-2014, 10:46 AM
The cost for me is irelevant tbh, I wouldnt go if offered a ticket for free, which has happened this season and happened a few times towards the end of last season!

Whatever anyone is paying isnt value for money at ER these days!

Bronson
15-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Prices at Chelsea are a disgrace in all honesty. I know you're watching some world class players and world class football but their CHEAPEST season ticket is £750. You could get 2 STs at City, also watching world class players/football and still have £152 change. Scary, everything that's wrong with modern day football in a nutshell.

Both City and Chelsea have ridiculously expensive match-day tickets as well. Really are pricing your average punter out of going along to support their team.

Price of Football - Chelsea and Man City

Ticket

Chelsea

Man City

Cheapest season ticket

£750.00

£299.00

Most expensive season ticket

£1,250.00

£860.00

Cheapest match-day ticket

£50.00

£37.00

Most expensive match-day ticket

£87.00

£58.00

Cheapest day out

£57.50

£45.80

TowerHibs
15-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Prices at Chelsea are a disgrace in all honesty. I know you're watching some world class players and world class football but their CHEAPEST season ticket is £750. You could get 2 STs at City, also watching world class players/football and still have £152 change. Scary, everything that's wrong with modern day football in a nutshell.

Both City and Chelsea have ridiculously expensive match-day tickets as well. Really are pricing your average punter out of going along to support their team.

Price of Football - Chelsea and Man City

Ticket

Chelsea

Man City

Cheapest season ticket

£750.00

£299.00

Most expensive season ticket

£1,250.00

£860.00

Cheapest match-day ticket

£50.00

£37.00

Most expensive match-day ticket

£87.00

£58.00

Cheapest day out

£57.50

£45.80

I take it you never read arsenals....cheapest ST is over a grand!!! For 19 games of football

Mikey09
15-10-2014, 11:23 AM
In my opinion it comes down to the feel good factor. If the club you support are doing well fans don't tend to grumble too much. However even though your team doesn't win every week, if they are producing entertaining, attacking football people will accept ST prices, walk ups, catering etc. just look at Mowbray's team for that. Value for money at Easter road just now?? No. On a side note look at the national team. SFA are a disgrace charging what they are but after last night people will pay it because WGS has brought the feel good factor back. Polish fans paid £30 for a two game ticket v Germany AND Scotland!! Value for money?? You bet yer arse it was!!! The SFA should take note.....

PeterboroHibee
15-10-2014, 11:25 AM
I take it you never read arsenals....cheapest ST is over a grand!!! For 19 games of football

Assuming all the figures are based on normal seats available to anyone (although I find it hard to believe a normal seat would be near £2000), Arsenal and Spurs prices are outrageous given that neither compete for any of the major honours. I accept the London prices will always be higher, but how the majority of their fans can justify paying that is beyond me.

Bronson
15-10-2014, 11:32 AM

I never, but what a f***ing shambles that is. They reckon clubs down south are spending 71% of their income on players' wages alone, game's a bogey.

Biggie
15-10-2014, 11:37 AM
I never, but what a f***ing shambles that is. They reckon clubs down south are spending 71% of their income on players' wages alone, game's a bogey.

A great time to be a top class player in a premiership club eh ?

LancashireHibby
15-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Assuming all the figures are based on normal seats available to anyone (although I find it hard to believe a normal seat would be near £2000), Arsenal and Spurs prices are outrageous given that neither compete for any of the major honours. I accept the London prices will always be higher, but how the majority of their fans can justify paying that is beyond me.
Both clubs sell out every league game, have season ticket waiting lists etc (Tottenham's is actually close to being longer than Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool put together believe it or not) so why would they need to drop prices? Hibs on the other hand look at thousands of empty seats every week, and I can safely say I didn't exactly get value for money for my £22 (plus postage) on Saturday.

For what it's worth, I pay £304 for my season ticket at Bolton (lower tier behind the goal; 23 Championship games plus discounts on home cup games).

PeterboroHibee
15-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Both clubs sell out every league game, have season ticket waiting lists etc (Tottenham's is actually close to being longer than Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool put together believe it or not) so why would they need to drop prices? Hibs on the other hand look at thousands of empty seats every week, and I can safely say I didn't exactly get value for money for my £22 (plus postage) on Saturday.

For what it's worth, I pay £304 for my season ticket at Bolton (lower tier behind the goal; 23 Championship games plus discounts on home cup games).

Dont get me wrong, I accept that there is huge demand and they are under no pressure to drop prices. I still think its a disgrace that any club feels the need to charge £2000 for a ST though, regardless of who it is and what they achieve.

When I first moved down here I had a ST at Wigan and it was great value, particularly last season when all European games were included (I only gave it up as there were too many mid-week games I wasnt making). I cant remember what the price was exactly, but Im sure it was somewhere between £200-300.

TowerHibs
15-10-2014, 11:53 AM
A great time to be a top class player in a premiership club eh ?

Mate, its a great time to be a completely average player in the Premiership. I was reading that the boy Blackett at Man U is about to sign a new contract.

Going from £2000 a week to around £55,000 at 18 year old and has played under 10 first team games. (then they wonder why players go off the rails and live in their own bubble)

Utterly shocking and disgusting. Not the players fault but so much money leaves the game and goes into individual pockets

Beefster
15-10-2014, 11:55 AM
The cost for me is irelevant tbh, I wouldnt go if offered a ticket for free, which has happened this season and happened a few times towards the end of last season!

Whatever anyone is paying isnt value for money at ER these days!

I find it utterly bizarre that Hibs fans come on a Hibs website and, basically, boast about how they don't support the club and don't have any intention of doing so.

PatHead
15-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Any need?

the prices are ridiculous. I am not going to lie I have not been to Easter Road this season due to the costs. I am not paying £34 for me and my son to go watch us against the likes of Raith or Dumbarton. It is absolutely scandalous. And the fact that if I want to go to the derby with me, my son and my girlfriend it will be £70 that is terrible. Not even before talking about drinks, food, programmes etc etc.

Not for me thanks.

For you and your son to go to the Dundee Utd game it will be £25 for you both if you buy the day before the game. Do you think that is reasonable?

H18 SFR
15-10-2014, 12:48 PM
I find it utterly bizarre that Hibs fans come on a Hibs website and, basically, boast about how they don't support the club and don't have any intention of doing so.

I understand his point Beefster, there are so many other activities you can enjoy on a Saturday that are far more entertaining than watch Hibs...regardless of the cost involved.

Don Giovanni
15-10-2014, 12:55 PM
For you and your son to go to the Dundee Utd game it will be £25 for you both if you buy the day before the game. Do you think that is reasonable?

Nope, I don't.

A season ticket should be just that - entry into all home fixtures.
Hibs should be looking to re-introduce some value into season tickets, especially for long-standing holders.

[you could probably convince me that European games should be different and still require the purchase of a separate ticket - not that we'll be troubled by European games at ER any time soon].

poolman
15-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Any need?

Not for me thanks.

Yea

It is what it is

If you can afford it and want to go then go

If you cant, then obviously dont go

There's too many that come on here and constantly bleat about everything that Hibs do, negative this and negative that

As I said, it is what it is

Pete
15-10-2014, 01:01 PM
I understand his point Beefster, there are so many other activities you can enjoy on a Saturday that are far more entertaining than watch Hibs...regardless of the cost involved.

His point is that this is a hibs website for hibs fans. This isn't money saving expert, it's a place where people with a default position regarding our football club can discuss things. The default position for a football fan is positively supporting the team and bragging about not going and value for money doesn't really tie in with makes us football supporters.

ekhibee
15-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Yea

It is what it is

If you can afford it and want to go then go

If you cant, then obviously dont go

There's too many that come on here and constantly bleat about everything that Hibs do, negative this and negative that

As I said, it is what it is
What the hell do you expect? It's Hibs that set the prices, not anybody else. Hibs are most certainly NOT the victims here.

Mathias Jack
15-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Any need?

Not for me thanks.

£70 could probably get you a pretty decent meal or a couple of trips to the cinema for the 3 of you...100% agree with you mate.

Diclonius
15-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Our cheapest season ticket is more expensive than 5 Premiership teams' priciest.

Shocking value, truly shocking.

Keith_M
15-10-2014, 03:06 PM

Nope, I don't.

A season ticket should be just that - entry into all home fixtures.
Hibs should be looking to re-introduce some value into season tickets, especially for long-standing holders.

I think you missed the whole point of DG's comment. He wasn't discussing the cost of STs, just for one individual match.

erin go bragh
15-10-2014, 04:19 PM
I must have been seeing things in todays Sun . It said The Rangers have most expensive ST in Scotland . Also said they charged Hibs £40 for our last game at Ipox .

Ggtth

Bostonhibby
15-10-2014, 04:34 PM
They do it every year, and its hardly aimed at making Hibs look bad.

Theres 207 clubs on the link, and theres only so much information they can actually show. People are correct when they mention deals that arent included (eg kids ST packages), but then I imagine most clubs will be in the same position. To allow for a fair comparison, it does need to be based on an individual adults matchday experience. I disagreed with the decision to freeze ST prices as there were no guarantees about how we would perform, and results so far have backed that up. For a Championship club who isnt competing at the top of the league, we are far too expensive.

Sorry, I'll re-phrase that part. Its the Beeb and they have used the available data to show us in a less favourable light than they might have. Other comparisons are available.:wink:

seanshow
15-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Another pot stirring factoid :stirrer:

According to that article, to buy an adult season ticket we are the 27th most expensive European club listed.

The 26 clubs more expensive are -

Arsenal
Chelsea
Crystal Palace
Everton
Hull
Leicester
Liverpool
Man United
Newcastle
QPR
Southampton
Sunderland
Swansea
Tottenham
West Ham
Bournemouth
Brighton
Ipswich Town
Leeds United
Middlesbrough
Norwich
Nottingham Forest
Reading
Rotherham United
Sheffield Wednesday
Watford

Then Hibs at £355 with the other 180 clubs having an adult season ticket option cheaper.

In UEFA Club coefficient ranking we are 270th, something doesn't quite add up...............

I'm_cabbaged
15-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Hibs should have plenty to do with catering as they agree to the lease. Caterers should not get near a lease without demonstrating a standard of food and drink and the lease should be agreed upon that - not a highest bid which is likely to be made by those willing to peddle the cheapest crap at the highest prices.

Have cook offs by the applicants at free training nights at ER and let the fans decide who gets the lease. Just three caterers at a time due to the difficulty of scoffing more than three pies. :greengrin

The Hibs catering lease will include a rise each year according to this formula.

(New Price of Pies - Old Price of Pies) x Diff* = A where New Lease Price = Old Lease Price + A%

* Diff = the difference in temperature between the outside and the center of the pie in degrees Farenheit.

Did they not more or less do that last season. Might be tripping though.

Hermit Crab
15-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Clubs need to realise that without the fans the clubs are nothing. Clubs need to stop pricing us out the game, including hibs. They need to take a look at the pricing policy. It's like paying for 1st class on a train, only to have to stand for the duration of your journey beside the lavy without getting money back, especially with hibs!!

Jonny1875
16-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Hibs ticket prices aren't even the worst of my Problems. I've to get a flight from Belfast to Edinburgh hoping sky or bt doesn't change the game time which usually results in me and whoever I'm with rushing to Er then to see us get done, well that's what happend with Celtic in January although overall we played ok and it was a good day out hahaha even sharing a plane with celtic fans home.

Alfred E Newman
16-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Hibs do have some good season ticket deals for families and kids etc. my senior season + top up was £195. However the walk up of £22 is far too expensive.
It was interesting to watch on last nights tv news the supporters down south that are turning their backs on top league football to go and watch their local non league club. If the TV revenue ever dries up down there it will be carnage.

NAE NOOKIE
16-10-2014, 10:52 AM
First of all. The prices in England are an outrage for some clubs. The fans should benefit from the huge TV deals in lower prices but don't in many cases, partly due to the clubs huge wage bills . Its high time there was a Europe wide wage cap ...even in America's NFL clubs have a capped wage budget and you wont find a more rampant free market economy than there.

In places like Germany the fans benefit from the TV revenue being used to keep ticket prices reasonable ... Bayern Munich being an example.

In Portugal the average monthly wage is under 1,000 Euros .... they couldn't charge UK prices even if they wanted to, most stadiums are never full on match days even with low prices. The top 4 are usually about 2/3ds full and below them most of the averages would embarrass us.

In Scotland there is no big TV deal to cover tickets at European, or some English prices and average earnings are higher than a lot of countries where tickets cost less.

I agree that for some folk their earnings make going to the fitba a tough choice, or in some cases impossible and that is a real pity, I've been there believe me .... but if you do have the money to be able to follow Hibs, but don't because the pictures are better value for money, then you haven't really bought into the being a fitba fan thing, have you.

Scouse Hibee
16-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Football supporters, the fans who just keep on giving and giving.

ahibby
16-10-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't see much of a difference playing against Falkirk or Raith or St Mirren or Ross County. If your happy to pay the price for the latter two then why not the former two as there isn't a huge difference. In fact Raith and Falkirk could probably bring more fans to ER than Ross County anyway.

Borderhibbie76
16-10-2014, 12:34 PM
The sad truth is ALL Scottish clubs are pricing working class families OUT of attending matches. Its far too expensive for the poor quality on offer. Crowds will continue to dwindle as people simply cannot afford it on a weekly basis. Hibs have ripped us off for years, twice Rod blackmailed ST holders to renew with the carrot of Cup Final tickets... the buy an ST to fund the player budget line wont wash this year that's for sure!!