PDA

View Full Version : Worst TV co-commentator poll

Dan Sarf
14-10-2014, 11:40 AM
You'll never guess who won. No, you probably will...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/andy-townsend-is-the-worst-football-cocommentator-on-tv--the-independent-readers-have-their-say-after-dire-england-performance-9791626.html

ekhibee
14-10-2014, 02:59 PM
I find it astonishing that Lawrenson didn't win it by a country mile, he's the worst co-commentator I've ever heard outside Scotland. In Scotland it's Davie Provan for me.

WeeRussell
14-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Now that Craig Burley isn't co-commentating anymore? (or thankfully I don't hear him anymore!)

This won't be as common amongst many I doubt but Gerry Armstrong irritates the *****ing t*ts off me when I'm trying to enjoy Barcelona games :bitchy:

Elephant Stone
14-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Lawrenson is the most condescending ****er on TV bar Jeremy Kyle but Michael Owen is the most irritating by some distance for me, sounds like a monotonous schoolboy.

lucky
14-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Clarke Carlise is murder really drab. My top 3 Gary Neville, Davie Provan and Alan Smith

Elephant Stone
14-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Clarke Carlise is murder really drab. My top 3 Gary Neville, Davie Provan and Alan Smith

He's not blessed with the greatest voice but I think Neville is pretty insightful, which is rare for a commentator or co-commentator.

JimBHibees
14-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I find it astonishing that Lawrenson didn't win it by a country mile, he's the worst co-commentator I've ever heard outside Scotland. In Scotland it's Davie Provan for me.

Lawrenson every time, he could make the best game sound like the worst and he palpably hates the job he does. Incredible he is still doing this job.

Joe6-2
14-10-2014, 04:26 PM

Lawrenson defo, but glad it's not just me with Proven, he really gets on my wick!!

Hibernia&Alba
14-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Lawrenson every time, he could make the best game sound like the worst and he palpably hates the job he does. Incredible he is still doing this job.

The most miserable, sarcastic guy anywhere. Fud.

Sir David Gray
14-10-2014, 05:06 PM

Gary Neville's first class.

Not sure if he's ever done a live commentary but if he has then Jamie Carragher has to be up there as one of the worst.

His accent is horrific.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-10-2014, 05:17 PM
He's not blessed with the greatest voice but I think Neville is pretty insightful, which is rare for a commentator or co-commentator.

Gary Neville is outstanding. Not scared to put the boot into his old team when its required. As for his brother though, dearie me!

Jonnyboy
14-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Now that Craig Burley isn't co-commentating anymore? (or thankfully I don't hear him anymore!)

This won't be as common amongst many I doubt but Gerry Armstrong irritates the *****ing t*ts off me when I'm trying to enjoy Barcelona games :bitchy:

You're not alone there Russell. Guy's a grade one, Real Madrid sycophantic erse and that's just his good points :wink:

craigmounthibby
14-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Martin Keown

Pretty Boy
14-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Gary Neville is outstanding. Not scared to put the boot into his old team when its required. As for his brother though, dearie me!

Really enjoy Neville and, to a lesser extent, Carragher on Sky. Far more insightful and interesting than their predecessor.

ekhibee
14-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Totally agree. I don't really know why Gary Neville would even be a candidate, he's an excellent co-commentator, but Philip Neville is woeful if his comments during the WC are anything to go by. Danny Murphy was dreadful in Rio as well.

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2014, 08:34 PM
There isn't much between Michael Owen, Lawrenson and Townsend. Call it a draw.

I like Danny Murphy, especially in the studio; he tried to tell you stuff you don't know, how something happened, what created it. rather than point out the obvious and tell you what you just watched.

Matt92
14-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Lawrenson by a ****ing mile. His constant negativity, moaning and really ***** quips throughout the last world cup were infuriating to the extent of impacting your enjoyment of a game. Absolute prick of a man.

Pretty Boy
14-10-2014, 09:06 PM
There isn't much between Michael Owen, Lawrenson and Townsend. Call it a draw.

I like Danny Murphy, especially in the studio; he tried to tell you stuff you don't know, how something happened, what created it. rather than point out the obvious and tell you what you just watched.

I don't mind Murphy as a pundit but why is his face always tripping him?

During the summer he was getting paid to work a few hours a week in Brazil whilst watching football and he looked like he had the worst job in the world.

Zazu62
14-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Andy walker

heretoday
14-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Lawrenson sounds like George Formby on downers. I don't like Jim Beglin either. He often has a completely false idea of how the game is going. How on earth do these guys get these plum jobs?

Bishop Hibee
14-10-2014, 11:33 PM
I can't understand why England have an ex-Ireland player as the co-commentator. I wouldn't be particularly happy with Ray Houghton doing Scotland games. Stan Collymore is good on Talksport, Robbie Savage is an erse but at least speaks his mind and Mikey Stewart would be decent in that role but most of them are totally bland.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-10-2014, 11:37 PM
I can't understand why England have an ex-Ireland player as the co-commentator.

Bigot! ;-)

over the line
14-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Bigot! ;-)

I think all ex-Ireland players that commentate on England games should have to do it from Ibrox, just to even it out. ;):)

(For those that don't know, this is a daft reference to the bigot nonsense on another thread, its not meant to make sense).

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-10-2014, 11:49 PM
The other thread doesnae make sense either. ;-)

macd123
15-10-2014, 12:06 AM
Archie mcpherson is the guru of spouting drivel and the benchmark by which all others should be judged. Meant to be the main commentator but couldn't help sticking his oar in and offering opinions nobody wanted to hear.

R'Albin
15-10-2014, 02:14 AM

Agreed, Gary Neville is the man. His analysis of Mignolet the other week was fantastic.

Danderhall Hibs
15-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Agreed, Gary Neville is the man. His analysis of Mignolet the other week was fantastic.

I didn't see it but I heard 2 or 3 goalies/ex goalies saying he was way off the mark?

Turkish Green
15-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Why do we need co-commentators?

I detest Andy Walker but Lawrenson is annoying.

Danderhall Hibs
15-10-2014, 07:25 AM

I think they're there to bring awareness of why/how something happened using their experience.

Unfortunately most of them can't do this and just give us "that was a bad tackle" or "the goalie should do better there".

heretoday
15-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Why do we need commentators at all?

Would that there was a button to press on the remote to eliminate the commentator but leave the crowd noise.

It would be just like being at the game!

grunt
15-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Willie Miller.

SmashinGlass
15-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Really enjoy Neville and, to a lesser extent, Carragher on Sky. Far more insightful and interesting than their predecessor.

I would agree wholeheartedly. I've seen myself using their analysis whilst planning training sessions for my kids team. Very helpful when pointing out defensive errors and why the errors happen. :top marks

Septimus
15-10-2014, 06:34 PM
A long time ago Raymond Glendenning. He had a knack of convincing listeners that England were always dominant and that Scotland rarely got out of their own penalty area.

Jonnyboy
15-10-2014, 06:42 PM

Would that there was a button to press on the remote to eliminate the commentator but leave the crowd noise.

A bit like BBC Alba you mean? :greengrin

Carheenlea
15-10-2014, 07:01 PM

Just press mute on the remote for that authentic West Stand matchday atmosphere :duck:

R'Albin
16-10-2014, 12:54 AM
I didn't see it but I heard 2 or 3 goalies/ex goalies saying he was way off the mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt702DSqn04

If you listen to his full justification then I agree with him. It seems very harsh but one of the first things you're taught as a keeper is basic positioning - which Neville describes in this video.

I meant to tweet this to Neville at the time but here's one of our own showing how to save a similar shot (even better one IMO). His positioning when the shot is taken is much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7mo3IRE_-M

heretoday
16-10-2014, 08:21 AM
A bit like BBC Alba you mean? :greengrin

Yes! Actually what I do is find a foreign language stream on the PC and watch matches in blissful ignorance of what the commentarios are gibbering about.

Albion Hibs
16-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Harsh shout from the independent readers, I don't mind Townsend at all. He will however not be liked given he is not English and unlike souness and co won't refer to England as "we"' or claim the cup has their name on it after beating San Marino or similar global footballing superpowers.

Stan the Man
16-10-2014, 05:07 PM
No idea what his name is, but the boy who does the Scotland games on Sky is the worst.

I particularly dislike the way he constantly refers to Scotland as `the Scots`.

Him and Proven have me reaching for the mute button and the out of sync radio commentary every time.

allezsauzee
16-10-2014, 05:14 PM
It would be Lawrenson for me but Townsend is a pretty worthy winner. Both bring zero insight to proceedings.

Jonnyboy
16-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Has Gerry Armstrong won yet? :greengrin

Aldo
16-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Andy Wa(n)lker hands down. I detest that little prick. Got a pus I would get fed up,smacking.... Him and that yam roaster Preston.

WeeRussell
17-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Has Gerry Armstrong won yet? :greengrin

:wink: