PDA

View Full Version : NHC Iceland

Sylar
14-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Firstly, this isn't any kind of assault on our own national side who have undergone a renaissance under the stewardship of Gordon Strachan. We look much sharper, competent and fitter as a side who are genuine competitors in games these days...I still worry ahead of tonight's game but the progress has been undeniable.

However, watching Iceland last night dismantle the Netherlands with a stellar exhibition in counter-attacking football was a joy to behold. A nation of c.300,000 people have advanced to become one of the shining lights of European football in recent years after totally overhauling their own domestic system and putting significant effort into promoting and advancing junior, grassroot football. They tore out all of their grass pitches to ensure play could occur in even the harshest of Arctic conditions by installing artificial pitches and extensive indoor facilities. They have a superb track record of advancing players from their U21 side into their main national side as they're trained and developed continually in a system that commits to advancement.

We've currently go an excellent side with a lot of young players in it and we have some promising starlets in our U21 side but I can't help but feel the SFA need to do more - the total revolution of the Icelandic FA at the grassroots level has seen them benefiting considerably by bringing through some serious talent and instilling some wonderful footballing ability.

One Day Soon
14-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Honestly thought this was going to be food related.

calumhibee1
14-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Firstly, this isn't any kind of assault on our own national side who have undergone a renaissance under the stewardship of Gordon Strachan. We look much sharper, competent and fitter as a side who are genuine competitors in games these days...I still worry ahead of tonight's game but the progress has been undeniable.

However, watching Iceland last night dismantle the Netherlands with a stellar exhibition in counter-attacking football was a joy to behold. A nation of c.300,000 people have advanced to become one of the shining lights of European football in recent years after totally overhauling their own domestic system and putting significant effort into promoting and advancing junior, grassroot football. They tore out all of their grass pitches to ensure play could occur in even the harshest of Arctic conditions by installing artificial pitches and extensive indoor facilities. They have a superb track record of advancing players from their U21 side into their main national side as they're trained and developed continually in a system that commits to advancement.

We've currently go an excellent side with a lot of young players in it and we have some promising starlets in our U21 side but I can't help but feel the SFA need to do more - the total revolution of the Icelandic FA at the grassroots level has seen them benefiting considerably by bringing through some serious talent and instilling some wonderful footballing ability.

:agree: It's incredible what Iceland have achieved.

erin go bragh
14-10-2014, 10:41 AM
:agree: It's incredible what Iceland have achieved.

What have they achieved ? Genuine question .

Ggtth

Keith_M
14-10-2014, 10:44 AM

Ggtth

They beat the Netherlands.

calumhibee1
14-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Ggtth

An ever improving national team on a population about 3/4 of Edinburghs. They also look likely to qualify for the next major tournament. I'd say that's an achievement.

The_Exile
14-10-2014, 10:49 AM
They have pace and direct runners throughout the team, put those ingredients into a competent enough system and it's difficult to stop. Will be interesting to see how far they can go in that group.

TRC
14-10-2014, 10:58 AM
They also have a decent coach in lagerbäck

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Had them on my bet last night. Sadly, Pat's Shamrock Rovers let it down!

WeeRussell
14-10-2014, 11:22 AM
An ever improving national team on a population about 3/4 of Edinburghs. They also look likely to qualify for the next major tournament. I'd say that's an achievement.

I hadn't realised their population was THAT small - incredible. Was only a few years ago you expected Iceland to get hammered off almost everyone they played... they had Guðjohnsen and that was about it. Great progress and good luck to them.

Guðjohnsen is a free agent by the way.... :Ummm:

over the line
14-10-2014, 11:40 AM

And they still find the time to make all them prawn rings, £1 pizzas , black forest gateuxs etc! Amazing nation! :)

Squealing pig
14-10-2014, 11:49 AM
See what happens when you employ Peter Andre. Petrie!!!!!

Oscar T Grouch
14-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Iceland as a whole is an amazing country, they were the only country to jail the bankers after the last banking debacle, they sacked every politician and voted in a group of normal citizens to write a new constitution for the country, all to the horror of the capitalist elite around the world, everyone said they would fail, but yet their economy has recovered faster than any other country hit by the banking crisis. I also have gained an excellent client from Iceland, who is very nice and buys lots from me :green grin I think they're example should be followed everywhere!

Moulin Yarns
14-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Sitting top of their group with 9 points from 3 games and +8 goal difference!!

iwasthere1972
14-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Iceland delivers.

WeeRussell
14-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Iceland as a whole is an amazing country, they were the only country to jail the bankers after the last banking debacle, they sacked every politician and voted in a group of normal citizens to write a new constitution for the country, all to the horror of the capitalist elite around the world, everyone said they would fail, but yet their economy has recovered faster than any other country hit by the banking crisis. I also have gained an excellent client from Iceland, who is very nice and buys lots from me :green grin I think they're example should be followed everywhere!

All that and some people still won't give them the time of day :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zEOy-iM6k

over the line
14-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Iceland also has the most Nobel Prize winners per capita of any country.

Glory Lurker
14-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Not to mention Sigur Ros.

I remember being fuming when we only just snuck past them in 1985 away in the World Cup qualifier. They were total, complete and utter minnows. They've been bubbling away for about fifteen years, in fairness. We got quite a weak version of them in the Euro 2004 qualifiers.

Good luck to them, although I really would prefer that they cut out whaling.

ekhibee
14-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Not to mention Sigur Ros.

I remember being fuming when we only just snuck past them in 1985 away in the World Cup qualifier. They were total, complete and utter minnows. They've been bubbling away for about fifteen years, in fairness. We got quite a weak version of them in the Euro 2004 qualifiers.

Good luck to them, although I really would prefer that they cut out whaling.
Yeh, a couple of years ago they had a good youth team, it looks like they've matured into a good 1st team. I know 1 or 2 people who've been to Iceland and liked it, I wouldn't go because they eat horse meat but that's just a personal thing for me because I donate to a charity for horses.

over the line
14-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Iceland has 8 Worlds Stongest Man titles, second only to the USA. To put that in perspective, the USA has about 1000 times the population of Iceland. So if you ever need any big boulders picking up, or if you've got broken down truck that needs pulling somewhere, find yourself an Icelander! :)

Iceman1875
14-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Great thread for the iceman lol 😝

At Easter Road we play...

S4uzee
14-10-2014, 03:06 PM
They beat the Netherlands.

So did Scotland when McFadden scored

The_Exile
14-10-2014, 03:09 PM
So did Scotland when McFadden scored

They soon sorted that out in the return leg though :greengrin. That was a cracking dutch team aswell BTW.

Lendo
14-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Iceland U21's were a joy to watch when Scotland played them at Easter Road a few years back. Couple of cracking goals too. The young boy that was at Aberdeen scored from the halfway line I seem to remember.

erin go bragh
14-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Well were still ranked above them on the fifa world rankings
29 to there 34 .

Ggtth

Ross4356
15-10-2014, 12:48 PM

I presume you don't know any of the good work Mark Wotte is doing? Performance school, regional academy's, 10,00hrs etc..

HibbyAndy
15-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Iceland U21's were a joy to watch when Scotland played them at Easter Road a few years back. Couple of cracking goals too. The young boy that was at Aberdeen scored from the halfway line I seem to remember.

Chris Maguire straight from kick off.

Oscar T Grouch
15-10-2014, 01:33 PM
All that and some people still won't give them the time of day :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zEOy-iM6k

What he meant to say was I hate " Eyjafjallajökull", but it wouldnae trip off his tongue lol.

Mathias Jack
15-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Ggtth

Reached the play offs for the World Cup not too long ago...

DH1875
16-10-2014, 07:15 AM

Ggtth

They gave us Bjork ;)

That aside, its an amazing place and I'd highly recommend anyone to travel there. Easyjet fly from Edinburgh airport really cheap although it can be a bit expensive when you get there.

Future17
16-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Pretty sure Sigurdsson got both for them that night. One was a free kick and another a cracker into the top corner from the edge of the box. All 3 goals that night are in the top 10 I've seen scored at ER.