PDA

View Full Version : What is actually wrong with Hibs! Fans Perhaps??

stevo23
13-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Now before I start, this is merely me throwing this out there.

It has been spoken about for a long time now that there is something inherently wrong at our club.

We have changed managers, playing staff, backroom staff, board members etc (far too often in my opinion) and yet we continue to fail. This got me thinking......

What if its 'US', the fans, that are the problem??

Where do we get the right to say we are better than we actually are at present? What evidence do we have to back this up? For what its worth, I believe we are better than we have shown.

What i'm getting at is, yes everyone is entitled to an opinion and yes, everyone has the right to voice that opinion BUT is it helping anyone?? Short answer NO!!

I am as upset and disappointed as the next fan when things don't go as we hope or expect but constant criticism of players / booing will NEVER help us.

Easter Road must be a horrible environment to work in. Imagine going to work each day and being constantly that you are hopeless....One day you will believe it!!!!

A couple of closed door league games may do us a world of good. Whats the point of supporters if we don't support???

Just a thought.

Tin hat is firmly on

percy veer
13-10-2014, 12:38 PM
We will turn up in numbers for the derby no doubt hoping to end their impressive start to the campaign, I just hope this time its different there will be no hiding place for the players as this time I really think hearts will be going at us from the very start. show fight and that usually wins over the fans just dont be bullied like usual.

WeeRussell
13-10-2014, 12:39 PM

It has been spoken about for a long time now that there is something inherently wrong at our club.

We have changed managers, playing staff, backroom staff, board members etc (far too often in my opinion) and yet we continue to fail. This got me thinking......

Where do we get the right to say we are better than we actually are at present? What evidence do we have to back this up? For what its worth, I believe we are better than we have shown.

What i'm getting at is, yes everyone is entitled to an opinion and yes, everyone has the right to voice that opinion BUT is it helping anyone?? Short answer NO!!

I am as upset and disappointed as the next fan when things don't go as we hope or expect but constant criticism of players / booing will NEVER help us.

Easter Road must be a horrible environment to work in. Imagine going to work each day and being constantly that you are hopeless....One day you will believe it!!!!

A couple of closed door league games may do us a world of good. Whats the point of supporters if we don't support???

Just a thought.

Tin hat is firmly on

It's a bunker you'll need for this one :greengrin

wookie70
13-10-2014, 12:40 PM
This has been done to death. Out home record tends to be better than our away record so how are the Fans somehow at fault. Most of our most embarrassing results have played out in front of very large and supportive crowds.

I actually think the Hibs fans have been unbelievably patient in general but particularly so this year. Yes there are some boos but there isn't a huge amount of abuse considering what is on show. Everyone is different in the way they are motivated. I always tell my bosses to give me a kick up the arse if I am doing something wrong and don't bother sugar coating any criticisms. Maybe the players really need a wee bit more "motivation" from the stands. They might be fooled into thinking they are doing OK going a couple of home matches undefeated.

macca70
13-10-2014, 01:03 PM
I think you will find that if any other club had been underperforming as consistently as us then you'd see the same reaction from fans.

It wasn't that long ago our neighbours were protesting and writing open letters to the club, they seemed to have turned it around.

We keep hearing that we are in transition and it will take time.

We've been in transition since Mowbray left, how much longer is needed.

Even now, we are still regressing and going backwards.

Bostonhibby
13-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Fans oot!

Its going pretty well so far. Once that rabble have gone we can replace them with shiny new ones who are into all this mediocrity on the pitch whilst simultaneously recognising the importance of building stands and having decade long business plans.

It was the fans all along then. Could have avoided all that grief by a football club putting a bit more emphasis on putting a half decent football team on the pitch in line with all the other peripherary spending.

Alfred E Newman
13-10-2014, 05:50 PM
I sat in the East for a change on Saturday and expected to hear more of the abuse reported so often on here. Other than the occasional frustrated outburst I thought the support were largely behind the team and were still giving encouragement well into injury time, all to no avail of course.
The final whistle was met with the predictable boos and that was understandable after another disappointing afternoon. In short, to hold the fans responsible for results like Saturday is nonsense.

Bobby's Cinema
13-10-2014, 06:10 PM
:aok: Close thread.

Nando™
13-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Utterly moronic idea.

Scouse Hibee
13-10-2014, 06:18 PM
I can't believe a football fan could suggest this!

cabbageandribs1875
13-10-2014, 06:32 PM
*sigh*

Bronson
13-10-2014, 06:41 PM
What a chronic idea, no offence.

In the interest of fairness though, I do strongly believe that hibs fans can be more of a hindrance than help at times, hence why our recent record at ER is so woeful. Some on here will have you believe that is nonsense but I've thought it for years, collectively we could definitely do more to get behind the team sometimes.

Leith Green
13-10-2014, 06:44 PM
The way i see it is that the club are well lucky to have held onto the level of support it currently has around the 9k mark.. We have been in slow steady decline now for 7 years, and have suffered some of the worst results in our history as well as one of the most pathetic relegations ever .

Its neither wonder that Hibs fans are frustrated, we deserve better than what our board, managers, and players have been delivering.

Sammy7nil
13-10-2014, 07:00 PM
What a chronic idea, no offence.

In the interest of fairness though, I do strongly believe that hibs fans can be more of a hindrance than help at times, hence why our recent record at ER is so woeful. Some on here will have you believe that is nonsense but I've thought it for years, collectively we could definitely do more to get behind the team sometimes.

Semi Final Hearts 4 Hibs 0
Final Hearts 5 Hibs 1
Malmo 7 Hibs 0
Hamilton 2 Hibs 0
This season Hearts 2 Hibs 1

I could go on and on but you get the picture very big very vocal Hibs support let down again and again by often desperate performances

rcarter1
13-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Th stream of mis management since the departure of Mowbray has been spectacular. I don't blame this all on the managers themselves -although by and large there have been deficiencies in them all- but include of course Mr Petrie et.al.

Just as the fans can claim little responsibility for the successes of Brown, Thomson, Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher, Murphy, Whitakker, Jones, Benji, etc etc, we can't be blamed for the chronic failures since then.

I remember back in 2009, when Hibs were riding high near the top of the SPL with Yogi's Yo-Yos, and in spite of the early season results, the warning signs were as clear as day. Poor midfield, OK defence, exceptional striker (Stokes). Once the striker went off the boil/left, we were exposed for the weak side that we were. SInce the end of that season we have been soft touches and easily dominated by any team with bite and pace.

The 5 years since then have eroded everyones confidence, and as a support we are touchy to say the least. The fans may now be part of the vicious cycle, but no way are we to blame. Some fans could perhaps reassess their actions during the 90m minutes (or stay away), but I was encouraged how last season people round about the over the top folk, tried to drown out unnecessary abuse with clapping and cheering.

Wins, good wins, and a lot more wins against part-time and limited opposition is needed. The players need to block out any other thoughts than trying to win every game we play with everything they have.

Bronson
13-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Semi Final Hearts 4 Hibs 0
Final Hearts 5 Hibs 1
Malmo 7 Hibs 0
Hamilton 2 Hibs 0
This season Hearts 2 Hibs 1

I could go on and on but you get the picture very big very vocal Hibs support let down again and again by often desperate performances

I could times that list of disappointing results by 10 if I wanted to, I'm fully aware of how much we have been shafted by the club in recent years. However, getting on the players' backs for not moving the ball forward quicker when they have possession is a classic example of the petty nature of some hibs fans. I seen/heard it so many times on saturday from those around me, really had to bite my tongue because it's just so needless and counter-productive. Negativity breeds negativity, that doesn't mean you have to be a happy clapper, just lay off the pointless abuse.

rcarter1
13-10-2014, 07:18 PM
I could times that list of disappointing results by 10 if I wanted to, I'm fully aware of how much we have been shafted by the club in recent years. However, getting on the players' backs for not moving the ball forward quicker when they have possession is a classic example of the petty nature of some hibs fans. I seen/heard it so many times on saturday from those around me, really had to bite my tongue because it's just so needless and counter-productive. Negativity breeds negativity, that doesn't mean you have to be a happy clapper, just lay off the pointless abuse.

:agree:

PISTOL1875
13-10-2014, 07:19 PM
I honestly do think the fans have got to take some of the blame for some of the performances we see on the park.. Fans roaring and shouting at players with unjustified abuse is rife at ER and has been for years... This is shown up in the amount of times we see players who perform well at other clubs , come to ER and subsequently fail to live up to the same standards then go elsewhere and perform well.. John Rankin and Eoin Doyle being two recent examples of this , I am sure between us , we could think of others who have been hounded out the club by the boo boys..

Only on Saturday , there I had the mis-fortune of hearing Jason Cummings being lambasted with adjectives thrown in for good measure for pulling a shot past the post... i asked the moron what his problem was and the answer was that JC is *****.. I then replied with the response of '' if you slate a player for shooting then you shouldn't be attending football matches..'' No reply was forth-coming..

A lot of Hibs supporters must expect world beaters out there on a Saturday with some of the idiots that support our club..

Jones28
13-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Lillian Gish

Sammy7nil
13-10-2014, 07:22 PM

Not looking to get in to a silly debate but there has to be accountability on both sides other wise we would all be expected just go along with our box of chocs sit and watch the game applaud politely when things go well say nowt when they go wrong. This is afootball match when things have not gone well for 6 years peeps are going to get anxious especially when they see what is being tried on the pitch is not working with no improvnet in results they will get vocal.

The players and mangement really need to grow a pair or accept they are not cut out for this job.

Crazyhorse
13-10-2014, 07:40 PM

Just a thought.

Tin hat is firmly on

I have no idea who you are but the first part of this sounds like not just LD but Petrie has joined us and I can't be bothered reading any more. The problem is you and your unique relationship with our absentee landlord. Can both of you clear off ASAP please? You have nothing to offer this club except humiliation and despair. You have no shame and no honour and clearly no sense of personal pride. Your time is past just GTF.

erin go bragh
13-10-2014, 07:42 PM
I honestly do think the fans have got to take some of the blame for some of the performances we see on the park.. Fans roaring and shouting at players with unjustified abuse is rife at ER and has been for years... This is shown up in the amount of times we see players who perform well at other clubs , come to ER and subsequently fail to live up to the same standards then go elsewhere and perform well.. John Rankin and Eoin Doyle being two recent examples of this , I am sure between us , we could think of others who have been hounded out the club by the boo boys..

Only on Saturday , there I had the mis-fortune of hearing Jason Cummings being lambasted with adjectives thrown in for good measure for pulling a shot past the post... i asked the moron what his problem was and the answer was that JC is *****.. I then replied with the response of '' if you slate a player for shooting then you shouldn't be attending football matches..'' No reply was forth-coming..

A lot of Hibs supporters must expect world beaters out there on a Saturday with some of the idiots that support our club..
Ive never heard so much abuse shouted at our own players as what happens now . Yes we are inconsistent but were at least trying to play some decent eye pleasing football , unlike seasons past . It clicked at Ipox . Football is a confidance sport so shouting abuse at your own players achieves the opposite . Maybe we have a hundred or so jambos in disguise that have bought season tickets , cause thats what it sounds like !

Ggtth

Crazyhorse
13-10-2014, 07:43 PM

Don't worry most of the supporters will be gone soon. Problem solved.

Forza Fred
13-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Sounds like someone with a relatively low post count on a fishing trip?

silverhibee
13-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Bonkers

Sammy7nil
13-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Ive never heard so much abuse shouted at our own players as what happens now . Yes we are inconsistent but were at least trying to play some decent eye pleasing football , unlike seasons past . It clicked at Ipox . Football is a confidance sport so shouting abuse at your own players achieves the opposite . Maybe we have a hundred or so jambos in disguise that have bought season tickets , cause thats what it sounds like !

Ggtth

So you think 100 or so fans are shouting abuse that is less than 1% of the crowd at most games :confused: 40% may be silent 59% are right behind the team the poor souls I have no idea how thet get the courage to get out on that pitch every 2 weeks it must be terrifying :rolleyes:

erskine-hibby
13-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Total crap, if the club had lived up to a quarter of its potential then we wouldn't be in the second tier of Scottish football.

13-10-2014, 08:11 PM
The fans are not at fault for our mess. Time and time again we have been humiliated and let down yet we still turn up and back our club. The fans desereve a hell of a lot better. Look at the 2012 and 2013 cup finals and the home Malmo game - we turned up in huge numbers, made noise and gave our team a huge backing yet the team humiliated us and let us down.

The Green Goblin
13-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Just no.

The thread title is textbook trolling.

It`s a wonder there are still as many fans as there are.

over the line
13-10-2014, 08:15 PM
I think the massive feelings of disappointment, disillusionment and general negativity around the club, players and fans, will undoubtedly have a huge negative affect on performances on the field. As for who is to blame, hard to say really, bit of a chicken and egg question (it was the defo the egg, in case you didn't know). There is so much negativity around, it is causing a self perpetuating downward spiral.

Something needs to break this vicious circle, unfortunately I'm not sure what that something is!

Mibbes Aye
13-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I think a bit of honesty is required.

I first started going to Easter Road around the end of the 70s, start of the 80s, properly got into my stride during the 90s.

I've never thought of us as a crowd who get right behind the team, quite the opposite. I think we are better in the last few years thanks to the efforts of the guys at the Dunbar end of the East but the reality is that our support has often seemed somewhat surly or embarrassed about getting behind the team because we just don't do it in a way that other sides do. There's been the odd spell where that's not been the case but generally we struggle to really make a positive noise, even when we have been playing well. The exceptions are the exceptions - the Athens game, some of the derbies and OF games where we performed well.

It's certainly not something that can be pinned on this "downward spiral since 2007". We were like this in the '90s too, a brief bit of singing at the start of a game then silence. For some reason I've got a cup game at home against Kilmarnock from this period firmly in my mind as the perfect example of how we didn't get behind the team and it felt painfully obvious that they needed our support - we ended up losing that one.

As for personal abuse, there's been a few players singled out in recent years but I'm not sure I've ever heard the like of the concentrated abuse that Super Joe used to get from elements in the East. It was definitely different before the seats were put in and it felt like a regular feature when we were shooting up the slope to have stand-up barnies featuring multiple protagonists across several rows, with a wee threat of a potential pagger, whenever the ball came out to him on the left.

The fans aren't to blame for Hibs' woes but if we were being honest, we aren't the most vocal and passionate support, certainly not in my lifetime.

southsider
13-10-2014, 08:18 PM

Ggtth
Just reading a book called The Secret Footballer who says that players rarely hear what is shouted from the crowd. Gives are fine insight about players and managers..... all this "we are all professional" is pure guff. If they feel a manager is clueless they "dont try as hard" and then are desperate to impress when the new guy comes in.

PISTOL1875
13-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Just reading a book called The Secret Footballer who says that players rarely hear what is shouted from the crowd. Gives are fine insight about players and managers..... all this "we are all professional" is pure guff. If they feel a manager is clueless they "dont try as hard" and then are desperate to impress when the new guy comes in.

Nail on head right there mate. How many times have we seen team sack there boss then when the new guy comes in , they put in much more effort and application for the new guy ??

rcarter1
13-10-2014, 08:27 PM
I think the massive feelings of disappointment, disillusionment and general negativity around the club, players and fans, will undoubtedly have a huge negative affect on performances on the field. As for who is to blame, hard to say really, bit of a chicken and egg question (it was the defo the egg, in case you didn't know). There is so much negativity around, it is causing a self perpetuating downward spiral.

Something needs to break this vicious circle, unfortunately I'm not sure what that something is!

Sparky.. :greengrin

:duck:

Crazyhorse
13-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Sounds like someone with a relatively low post count on a fishing trip?

Someone certainly stinks and its not of fish.

Sammy7nil
13-10-2014, 09:24 PM
I think a bit of honesty is required.

I first started going to Easter Road around the end of the 70s, start of the 80s, properly got into my stride during the 90s.

I've never thought of us as a crowd who get right behind the team, quite the opposite. I think we are better in the last few years thanks to the efforts of the guys at the Dunbar end of the East but the reality is that our support has often seemed somewhat surly or embarrassed about getting behind the team because we just don't do it in a way that other sides do. There's been the odd spell where that's not been the case but generally we struggle to really make a positive noise, even when we have been playing well. The exceptions are the exceptions - the Athens game, some of the derbies and OF games where we performed well.

It's certainly not something that can be pinned on this "downward spiral since 2007". We were like this in the '90s too, a brief bit of singing at the start of a game then silence. For some reason I've got a cup game at home against Kilmarnock from this period firmly in my mind as the perfect example of how we didn't get behind the team and it felt painfully obvious that they needed our support - we ended up losing that one.

As for personal abuse, there's been a few players singled out in recent years but I'm not sure I've ever heard the like of the concentrated abuse that Super Joe used to get from elements in the East. It was definitely different before the seats were put in and it felt like a regular feature when we were shooting up the slope to have stand-up barnies featuring multiple protagonists across several rows, with a wee threat of a potential pagger, whenever the ball came out to him on the left.

The fans aren't to blame for Hibs' woes but if we were being honest, we aren't the most vocal and passionate support, certainly not in my lifetime.

I agree with this post although things got worse with the seats coming in that made things worse.We have never been a noisy support. I started watcing Hibs in the early 70's feet stamping and shouts of Hibees from the west stand was our main chant. I remembaer many a fight about Super Joe. I think the support now is made up of mostly guys aged late 30's to 60 not a good age group to create an atmosphere.

#2 Double Tap
14-10-2014, 12:12 AM
"We have changed managers, playing staff, backroom staff, board members etc (far too often in my opinion) and yet we continue to fail. This got me thinking......"

the guys who are making all the wrong changes; hiring the wrong ppl, letting the wrong ppl go, keeping the wrong ppl.

PETRIE and his bunch of merry men.

Baader
14-10-2014, 06:54 AM
It's cause and effect. The negative atmosphere in the stands is a result of what has been happening on the pitch for too many years - not the other way round.

There are many successful clubs overseas - Italy and Spain being prime examples - where bad results and runs, pale in comparison to what we've had to endure, are greeted with far worse than what players face at ER. A positive crowd can lift players but it can't turn carthorses into worldbeaters.

Finbar
14-10-2014, 09:12 AM
The crowd at Easter Road can at times be horribly quiet, I think we can all recognise that. No one is to blame it's just the way it is.

But, is there anything we can do about it? Section 43 have been excellent at times, is there anything else that could improve the atmosphere and encourage the team? Cheerleaders? Something on the PA system? Serious question.

wookie70
14-10-2014, 09:25 AM
I have been to Ibrox and Tynie countless times when there was no atmosphere from the home fans at all until they scored. The first game at Tynie this year is a good example. Hibs completely outsung their hosts until Hearts scored. From what I can tell over my 40 years of watching Hibs is we are much the same as every other football fan with the exception being we are ridiculously critical of our support and we also think by being better supporters we will have some huge impact on results. I like to use Crystal Palace as an example. They couldn't buy a result last year but their supporters were amazing - noisy and hugely positive home and away. They changed Managers and all of a sudden went on a good run. Supporters are a massive part of the specacle of football and make a difference in terms of spending power. I imagine we have a tiny effect on the outcome of games.