PDA

View Full Version : 25 shots, 14 on target, 60% possession

AgentDaleCooper
11-10-2014, 08:10 PM
I wasn't at the game, but I'm curious - how did we manage the above while playing crap?

Judas Iscariot
11-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Zero goals

Most

Important

Stat

Of

Them

All

Heedersnvolleys
11-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Not one of those shots troubled there keeper.

DaveF
11-10-2014, 08:14 PM
I wasn't at the game, but I'm curious - how did we manage the above while playing crap?

Quite easily, when you play at a tempo light years slower than what it should be.

Of the 14 shots:

McGeough hit a 25 yarder which the goalie saved well.

Stevenson long shot, right at the keeper.

Cummings shot goal bound but blocked.

Craig long range shot, fumbled then saved.

Malonga Penalty.

A couple of tame headers.

A couple of trundlers.

Heedersnvolleys
11-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Even our penalty!

SunshineOnLeith
11-10-2014, 08:15 PM
We were playing a part-time team who came and played for a 0-0 draw.

We drew 0-0.

B.H.F.C
11-10-2014, 08:17 PM

We were playing Dumbarton. At home. We didn't win. That in itself is crap.

We have won 3 games out of 9 in the bloody championship. Again, crap.

I couldn't care if we have 100 shots a game. If we don't score more goals that the other team, which we haven't more often than not, then it's irrelevant.

We are 14 points of the lead 9 games in to the season. I'm disgusted with the way things are going . Especially after all the 'wind of change' garbage we were fed In the summer.

emerald green
11-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Lots of possession, could still be playing now but not scored a goal. No guile, no real penetration, final ball /pass in and around 18 yard box absolutely p*** poor.

Bobby's Cinema
11-10-2014, 08:19 PM
None of them were particularly clear-cut, barring the pen.

We are toothless. The urgency and desire to win EVERY single game just isn't there

Stuarty27
11-10-2014, 08:29 PM
it was rotten,

all time low

Ronniekirk
11-10-2014, 08:42 PM
We were playing a part-time team who came and played for a 0-0 draw.

We drew 0-0.

So we are reduced to letting part time clubs come to our patch and dictate what the result is .:confused:

greenlex
11-10-2014, 08:50 PM
We will not win games with Craig and Robertson at the heart of our midfield. We also have no penetration or urgency. It's gonna be a long season.

Hermit Crab
11-10-2014, 08:51 PM
So we are reduced to letting part time clubs come to our patch and dictate what the result is .:confused:

By lining up 3-5-2 vs a 4-5-1 we are not doing ourselves any favours.

Gus Fring
11-10-2014, 08:54 PM
We will not win games with Craig and Robertson at the heart of our midfield.

I must have imagined beating Ross County and Rangers with those 2 at the heart of our midfield.

greenlex
11-10-2014, 09:12 PM
I must have imagined beating Ross County and Rangers with those 2 at the heart of our midfield.
Not when teams sit in and get behind the ball.

CallumLaidlaw
11-10-2014, 09:21 PM
I took a mate today who is a neutral. He thought we played well and were just really unlucky not to win by 3 or 4. He pointed out Mcgeoch, Fontaine, stevenson, Gray and Cummings as our best players

Heisenberg
11-10-2014, 09:26 PM
We've been unlucky too many times already this season unfortunately. Maybe we're just not very good.

greenlex
11-10-2014, 09:29 PM
I took a mate today who is a neutral. He thought we played well and were just really unlucky not to win by 3 or 4. He pointed out Mcgeoch, Fontaine, stevenson, Gray and Cummings as our best players
I'm gonna be brutally honest here and think we haven't really had the rub of the green so far this season and have played reasonably well in most first halves of games. Today' given the level of opposition and lack of urgency I actually think that was our worst performance in quite some time. It's simply not good enough. We have to create and get in behind teams that come and sit in. I thought our two wing backs were our best players today in that regard but their endeavours were wasted in front if goal. Gray got injured and faded and once Fontain went off and we went to back four with Stevenson playing further back we were absolutely awful.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
11-10-2014, 09:33 PM
We are like a sheite Barcelona.

iwasthere1972
11-10-2014, 09:39 PM
If we could find a player who can strike the ball harder than a six year old lassie then we might be sitting here tonight praising the team. Their goalie had virtually nothing to do.

Thought we played well but we lack a killer instinct.

SunshineOnLeith
11-10-2014, 11:36 PM

Of course we were the better team, it was full time professionals against part timers who had no inclination to 'play well', just fight tooth and nail for a point. It's what 7 out of the 9 teams we're up against will do when we play them this season. Shots and possession stats are utterly meaningless in the context of these matches.

J-C
12-10-2014, 12:44 AM
I'm gonna be brutally honest here and think we haven't really had the rub of the green so far this season and have played reasonably well in most first halves of games. Today' given the level of opposition and lack of urgency I actually think that was our worst performance in quite some time. It's simply not good enough. We have to create and get in behind teams that come and sit in. I thought our two wing backs were our best players today in that regard but their endeavours were wasted in front if goal. Gray got injured and faded and once Fontain went off and we went to back four with Stevenson playing further back we were absolutely awful.

This just goes to prove why Stevenson has to be played in his natural position of LM and by playing as an attacking WB this is as near to that as possible, I think people forget that he won MOM in the 2007 cup final playing at LM, he created more than the so called winger Kennedy who came om.

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2014, 07:22 AM
What's this obsession with part time clubs? I remember at the end of the 70s there were only 8 full time clubs in Scotland. We still managed to get relegated and promotion wasn't easy. Conclusion has to be that a good player is a good player no matter how much they train.

Docc109
12-10-2014, 07:29 AM
1st game since Hamilton debacle. I didn't think the majority of the team played that badly, Dumbarton sat in and never really troubled the defence, midfield fed the ball out to wings at every opportunity and there were plenty crosses into the box. I expected more from Malonga, but I can't recall him getting his head to a ball or beating a man when ball was at his feet, the Heff when he came on, looked short of match fitness, or his is just slow these days, we needed a youngster to come on that that stage and run at them. Cummings tried hard the whole game, but again needs to find more of a killer touch in front of goal. The pen looked over the line, but ref gave nothing the whole game!
they need to find a way to turn possession into goals.

GGTTH :confused:

Hero76
12-10-2014, 07:34 AM
We are rubbish FACT ENDOFF

AlbertK86
12-10-2014, 07:34 AM
This just goes to prove why Stevenson has to be played in his natural position of LM and by playing as an attacking WB this is as near to that as possible, I think people forget that he won MOM in the 2007 cup final playing at LM, he created more than the so called winger Kennedy who came om.

He played CM in cup final

Mr White
12-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Boozy and brown played in the middle, sproule right, lewis left no?

leggeto
12-10-2014, 07:59 AM

Shooting was powderpuff, mostly hard passbacks,we need to realise the teams will camp in with everyone behind the ball the whole game and hit us on the break,we need a playmaker to unlock,we were unlucky but and did deserve the win but Dumbarton went home with the point they were looking for

bingo70
12-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Cummings header should have scored.
Penalty incident (would have scored if wasn't fouled)
Cummings through one on one just after penalty.
Mcgeoch shot that keeper made good save from.

Could quite easily have scored 3 or 4 in the first half yesterday, there was also a couple of hanlon headers towards the end as well.

I don't think we were that bad yesterday.

Pretty Boy
12-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Cummings header should have scored.
Penalty incident (would have scored if wasn't fouled)
Cummings through one on one just after penalty.
Mcgeoch shot that keeper made good save from.

Could quite easily have scored 3 or 4 in the first half yesterday, there was also a couple of hanlon headers towards the end as well.

I don't think we were that bad yesterday.

The problem is there have been people saying we haven't been that bad in almost every game.

Yet we aren't winning games, aren't taking chances, despite all our possession our final ball is often woeful and we always look vulnerable to losing a goal with yesterday being no exception.

From 9 games we have lost more than we have won, are sitting 5th in the league and have a goal difference of 0. Not bad performances or otherwise that is nowhere near good enough.

bingo70
12-10-2014, 08:27 AM
The problem is there have been people saying we haven't been that bad in almost every game.

Yet we aren't winning games, aren't taking chances, despite all our possession our final ball is often woeful and we always look vulnerable to losing a goal with yesterday being no exception.

From 9 games we have lost more than we have won, are sitting 5th in the league and have a goal difference of 0. Not bad performances or otherwise that is nowhere near good enough.

Totally agree.

GreenArmyyy!
12-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Yesterday was a disgusting performance I am at the end of my tether and as for the derby coming round in two weeks it is hard to see how we won't get done over easily.

J-C
12-10-2014, 09:52 AM

CM/LM you know where I'm coming from, his recent performances have shown he's a far better midfielder than he is defender, play him in midfield and get shot of Crag and Robertson.

A midfield or Allan.....Mcgeouch......Stevenson sounds a lot better than what we had yesterday.

J-C
12-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Boozy and brown played in the middle, sproule right, lewis left no?

That's what I thought too.

Stantons Angel
12-10-2014, 10:20 AM

That injury to Fontaine made a big difference to the game as Lewis had to go back and stay there and we lost any energy we had down that flank.

The substitution brought on a winger who tries to beat his man too many times and the urgency we had failed to show again.

No matter how the stats read we will not win games unless someone puts the ball in the net!

We pounded their box all day and no one was ever quick enough to finish off those crosses.

Although the stats dont lie its just not good enough and we have to get someone up their to knock defenders about just like Nish did to us today!

When teams come to Easter Road they will sit back and rely of the break away, its up to the midfielders to have a bit of vision to put balls through in that crowded box area. Someone should be taking responsibility for driving that team forward. Leading by example and going at defences rather than passing the ball around them.

Life is never easy being a Hibs supporter is it?

Alfred E Newman
12-10-2014, 11:02 AM
That injury to Fontaine made a big difference to the game as Lewis had to go back and stay there and we lost any energy we had down that flank.

The substitution brought on a winger who tries to beat his man too many times and the urgency we had failed to show again.

No matter how the stats read we will not win games unless someone puts the ball in the net!

We pounded their box all day and no one was ever quick enough to finish off those crosses.

Although the stats dont lie its just not good enough and we have to get someone up their to knock defenders about just like Nish did to us today!

When teams come to Easter Road they will sit back and rely of the break away, its up to the midfielders to have a bit of vision to put balls through in that crowded box area. Someone should be taking responsibility for driving that team forward. Leading by example and going at defences rather than passing the ball around them.

He didn't have to revert to 4-4-2. They only had a lumbering Nish up front, he could have moved Craig into the back 3 with Allan or Stanton coming on and keeping the same shape.:dunno:

Borderhibbie76
12-10-2014, 11:31 AM
He didn't have to revert to 4-4-2. They only had a lumbering Nish up front, he could have moved Craig into the back 3 with Allan or Stanton coming on and keeping the same shape.:dunno:
Sadly I think that kind of tactical nous is beyong Stubbs...he doesnt appear to have it in him to change things when plan A fails...don't blame him for this mess one bit but he doesn't appear to have the ability to improve things much neither...

J-C
12-10-2014, 12:18 PM

And therein lies our problem when we go 4 t the back, we do not have a holding midfielder to cover the wingbacks when they go forward. We have the players to play the 4-4-2 diamond, only thing missing is the holding defensive midfielder, having that would allow us to play Allan, McGeouch and stanto through the middle with the WB's bombing on like they do with 3 at the back.

12-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Who cares what the possesion/number of shots at goal etc etc. at the end of the day we dropped points AGAIN against a part-time club we really should be beating quite comfortably. People seem to comfort themselves with the "oh we should have won/we were the better team/we were unlucky" lines - bottom line is that we can't take our chances and despite the majority of possession, we still have no final product.

Ifs, buts and maybes but the bottom line is that we aren't good enough.

The Leith Dutch
12-10-2014, 02:45 PM
We are like a sheite Barcelona.

I actually think we're very like a really low rent Arsenal and we play far too many nothing passes around the opposition box rather than looking like we're going to cut them open.

If we could find a player who can strike the ball harder than a six year old lassie then we might be sitting here tonight praising the team. Their goalie had virtually nothing to do.

Thought we played well but we lack a killer instinct.

Agree with both your points.

As far as striking the ball goes I used to watch the pre-match warm ups when we had Griffiths.
They'd do the shooting drill where they play it to the coach, he lays it off at the edge of the box and they have a ping.
Griffiths almost never missed but more importantly he was kicking it four times as hard as anyone else.

And as for how we played yesterday - while the result was crap and we should never be accepting 0-0 at home to Dumbarton we did at least look like a different class of team to them right up until the important point around the box.

Eyrie
12-10-2014, 03:33 PM
And therein lies our problem when we go 4 t the back, we do not have a holding midfielder to cover the wingbacks when they go forward. We have the players to play the 4-4-2 diamond, only thing missing is the holding defensive midfielder, having that would allow us to play Allan, McGeouch and stanto through the middle with the WB's bombing on like they do with 3 at the back.
The inevitable suggestion is Stevenson, who has both the commitment and discipline for that role. I'm far from convinced by Booth as a defender, but he's not going to be tested by seven of our nine league opponents so can be used as an attacking LB to free Stevenson.

I actually think we're very like a really low rent Arsenal and we play far too many nothing passes around the opposition box rather than looking like we're going to cut them open.

Another resemblance to Arsenal is Stubbs' insistence on playing his way rather than considering the opposition and adjusting tactics to improve our chances. For most games 4-4-2 makes sense because we don't need three CHs when the opposition only use one striker anyway. The 3-5-2 should be kept for Sevco Huns and Hearts.

Jim Herriot
12-10-2014, 05:11 PM
We are rubbish FACT ENDOFF

Are you a professional football pundit or just a gifted amateur?

ancient hibee
12-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Our 3 main strikers are a kid who was playing on Saughton Park recently,a guy who is new to Scotland and has scored goals recently where exactly and an injury prone guy who doesn't seem to have the heart for it anymore.Two of our midfield have never been seen to slide a ball through a defence into the path of a striker since they arrived at the club.And we're wondering why we don't score goals?

Playing against a part time team is not easy. Because they're part time they concentrate on playing a simple defensive game with plenty bodies in the box-they don't have time to practise anything else.We don't have the individual players who can take 3 or 4 opponents out of the game and we don't have pace of movement of the ball in the midfield.Watch a decent team -when they are in form they don't take needless touches on the ball-they move it on as it comes to them-they don't do like we do and run towards our wide players with the ball and pass it when we're on top of them.When the best passes out to Gray are from Hanlon you know something is wrong.

stanton_4
12-10-2014, 05:29 PM
We will not win games with Craig and Robertson at the heart of our midfield. We also have no penetration or urgency. It's gonna be a long season.

^^^^^ 100% correct.
Too many sideways or backward passing by both our central midfielders and it is slow and laboured. That did change when Allan came on though.
In Stevenson and Gray we have two wing backs who do well getting forward and putting the ball in to the box but unfortunately not enough of these crosses troubled the Sons defence. In fact they didn't have to work overly hard to gain a point. These tactics became predictable very quickly so maybe that is why. McGeouch is more than capable of taking on and beating players but all too often he played a pass after doing this when he should have continued his run. Malonga is, as they say, slower than a week in jail and when that is coupled with his languid playing style it results in no urgency what so ever. Cummings worked hard but received no service. What was encouraging was the performance of the back three who did not looked troubled at all really. Mind you Fontaine picked up an injury so that formation might have to be changed for the next game.

Hibs7
13-10-2014, 06:23 AM
I will say it again, as I did at the beginning of the season ... After watching them at the open training at ER .. With no defenders against them and only the goalkeeper to beat, balls being crossed into the box to 3 forwards ... Shots on target approx 15% .. Goals scored less than 10%
They couldn't hit a barn door with a shovel then and they have not improved any !!

bingo70
13-10-2014, 06:29 AM
I will say it again, as I did at the beginning of the season ... After watching them at the open training at ER .. With no defenders against them and only the goalkeeper to beat, balls being crossed into the box to 3 forwards ... Shots on target approx 15% .. Goals scored less than 10%
They couldn't hit a barn door with a shovel then and they have not improved any !!

I remember laughing at posts like yours at the time of the training session but so far you've been proven right and I've been wrong.

The composure in front of goal and the ability to put chances away has been abysmal. If we'd put away half of our chances we'd be right up there with hearts.

Leith_Hibee
13-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Can you imagine the reaction on here if Colin Nish had scored that glorious opportunity near the end :rolleyes:

Tempo was a bit better from Hibs in the first half, we still need to work out away to get in behind teams, the passing the ball in front of them isn't drawing them out so maybe we need to go round the sides.

Scottie
13-10-2014, 11:21 AM
You can have as much possession as you want and shots on target but hitting the back of the net is the only stat that counts.

Classic example was Saturday night Poland v Germany.

Football is that simple ! :wink:

Gatecrasher
13-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Can you imagine the reaction on here if Colin Nish had scored that glorious opportunity near the end :rolleyes:

Tempo was a bit better from Hibs in the first half, we still need to work out away to get in behind teams, the passing the ball in front of them isn't drawing them out so maybe we need to go round the sides.

I think we will struggle at the weekend because of this, Livingston is a small and narrow pitch and that makes it tough for teams to break them down. If we can't do it on a big pitch like ER then I worry for the weekend.

Hibs7
13-10-2014, 02:18 PM
I remember laughing at posts like yours at the time of the training session but so far you've been proven right and I've been wrong.

The composure in front of goal and the ability to put chances away has been abysmal. If we'd put away half of our chances we'd be right up there with hearts.

If I could see it why couldn't the management team.. In fact I pointed out the stats to George Craig at the session and he said all training sessions were videoed and reviewed .. That makes me wonder what they do at these reviews ??

The_Horde
13-10-2014, 02:47 PM

We don't really have any strikers who want to go in behind or have the experience to do it successfully.