PDA

View Full Version : Tom English ???

FinlayHibs
11-10-2014, 06:04 PM
what gives this man a apinion off Scotland as a national team ???

Spike Mandela
11-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Everybody is entitled to an opinion. Unfortunately he is paid to broadcast his.

Alfred E Newman
11-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Why not?

Viva_Palmeiras
11-10-2014, 06:11 PM
What's he havering about now?
Normally quite decent. As said already everyone entitled to an opinion - not quite North Korea yet :)

Pete
11-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Those English should mind their own businesses.

Moulin Yarns
11-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Used to quite like him but, totally gone off him

FinlayHibs
11-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Why not?

The mans had plenty to say about the cabbage over the last year .... Now he's getting his neb In about Scotland ! The mans a @@@@ ! End off !

Alfred E Newman
11-10-2014, 06:23 PM
I would have thought his past critisism of Hibs management and of Petrie would have gone down well on here. Listening to him on the way home today he seemed to be praising Scotland .
Are only Scottish people allowed to have an opinion on the International side?

Viva_Palmeiras
11-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Nothing to do with opinion the man is a fraud ..... Maybe he should've better going home and studying pat fenlon and the Irish Title ... Rather than on our game !!!!

Settle petal you're either forgetting our roots, ignorant or if you continue in the same vain likely be labelled a yam. Then again it is the school holidays so if youre of an age to know no better read you Hibstory.

Youre re not one of those UKIP dudes are you?

hibsbollah
11-10-2014, 06:47 PM
English talks more sense than all the inbred weedgie west coast media mafia put together. The fact he's Irish is probably an advantage, as he isn't weighed down by the usual Scottish football prejudices.

Pretty Boy
11-10-2014, 06:53 PM
I quite like Tom English.

He's been very critical of Hibs in the last few years but we have deserved most of it.

Golden Bear
11-10-2014, 06:54 PM
I would have thought his past critisism of Hibs management and of Petrie would have gone down well on here. Listening to him on the way home today he seemed to be praising Scotland .
Are only Scottish people allowed to have an opinion on the International side?

It's more restrictive as that - only YES voters are allowed to voice an opinion. FACT apparently.

CropleyWasGod
11-10-2014, 06:56 PM
The mans had plenty to say about the cabbage over the last year .... Now he's getting his neb In about Scotland ! The mans a @@@@ ! End off !

He's a journalist.:confused:

Alfred E Newman
11-10-2014, 07:03 PM
It's more restrictive as that - only YES voters are allowed to voice an opinion. FACT apparently.

And the silent majority have to stay silent. There is also appears to be a growing xenophobia in Scotland now that is worrying to say the least.

Golden Bear
11-10-2014, 07:03 PM
I quite like Tom English.

He's been very critical of Hibs in the last few years but we have deserved most of it.

Yip, the guy in the main talks a lot of sense.

Mibbes Aye
11-10-2014, 07:12 PM
I've always found Tom English to be pretty mediocre.

It's more the case that he shines by comparison to who he is surrounded by.

The lack of insight and intelligence on show from his colleagues is lamentable, in fact it's a disgrace for a licence-payer funded service.

The BBC should hang its head in shame at the quality of its commentary and punditry.

The worst thing is there are almost certainly better alternatives that I don't believe are more expensive.

I think the sheer mundaneness of his peers makes him sound better than he is, as he doesn't actually come out with anything too original himself.

Lago
11-10-2014, 07:28 PM
And the silent majority have to stay silent. There is also appears to be a growing xenophobia in Scotland now that is worrying to say the least.
Totally agree.

Phil D. Rolls
11-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Nothing to do with opinion the man is a fraud ..... Maybe he should've better going home and studying pat fenlon and the Irish Title ... Rather than on our game !!!!

:hmmm:

Phil D. Rolls
11-10-2014, 08:01 PM

Why do you say that? I honestly haven't noticed, but then I'm not "foreign".

Velma Dinkley
11-10-2014, 08:57 PM

What?

Danderhall Hibs
11-10-2014, 10:07 PM
I've always found Tom English to be pretty mediocre.

It's more the case that he shines by comparison to who he is surrounded by.

The lack of insight and intelligence on show from his colleagues is lamentable, in fact it's a disgrace for a licence-payer funded service.

The BBC should hang its head in shame at the quality of its commentary and punditry.

The worst thing is there are almost certainly better alternatives that I don't believe are more expensive.

I think the sheer mundaneness of his peers makes him sound better than he is, as he doesn't actually come out with anything too original himself.
:agree: Billy Dodds called back into action today. Thought we had heard the last of him as well. Big disappointment.

Hopefully he'll go the same way as Sandy Clark and Jim Duffy and be in a job long enough that they forget about him.

SkintHibby
12-10-2014, 12:41 AM

What an utterly ridiculous comment - to say the least!

givescotlandfreedom
12-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Most of what he says is hard bit fair in my opinion. He's also not scared to criticise the OF.

macd123
12-10-2014, 01:58 AM

There is far less xenophobia in scotland now than there ever has been.

But back to tom english, he is probably the best sports journalist in scotland and i think he does secretly have a soft spot for hibs. He at least respects the supporters which is more than you can say about the rest of the sportsound crew.

hibbiedon
12-10-2014, 03:52 AM

You can have an opinion about team GB FACT apparently

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2014, 07:19 AM
There is far less xenophobia in scotland now than there ever has been.

But back to tom english, he is probably the best sports journalist in scotland and i think he does secretly have a soft spot for hibs. He at least respects the supporters which is more than you can say about the rest of the sportsound crew.

Says who? I'm not having a go at either of you, but one says its up, one says its down. How do you measure such a thing, and what period are you measuring it over?

Alfred E Newman
12-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Without wanting to turn this into another Independence debate, to be honest I am sick to the teeth of it, I base my judgment on the tone of letters in the papers and comments on social media. A lot of these are anti English but it seems to be that a section of society now hold the view that the pro independence minority are the only people that are entitled to call themselves Scots and comment on anything relating to Scotland. That is not to say all pro indepence voters hold that view. I might be wrong but is feels to me that the underlying tone of the original post is the fact that Tom English is Irish and as such should keep his views to himself.

NAE NOOKIE
12-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Tom English is pretty decent IMO and I don't care who comments on the national team so long as its fair comment.

A for an increase in xenophobia ... I don't agree there has been, but having said that I'm not too fond of the bloody Germans this morning :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
12-10-2014, 12:14 PM

You sound like a no voter to me:hmmm:

If this is correct please delete this post as I believe it contains an opinion.

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Without wanting to turn this into another Independence debate, to be honest I am sick to the teeth of it, I base my judgment on the tone of letters in the papers and comments on social media. A lot of these are anti English but it seems to be that a section of society now hold the view that the pro independence minority are the only people that are entitled to call themselves Scots and comment on anything relating to Scotland. That is not to say all pro indepence voters hold that view. I might be wrong but is feels to me that the underlying tone of the original post is the fact that Tom English is Irish and as such should keep his views to himself.

Thanks for the reply. I detected a bit of anti - Irish bias from the OP.

SkintHibby
12-10-2014, 12:57 PM

More total nonsense from you. I thought people were supposed to get wiser as they got older!

Alfred E Newman
12-10-2014, 01:14 PM
More total nonsense from you. I thought people were supposed to get wiser as they got older!

Obviously you will not agree with me , and I couldn't care less if you think it's nonsense. Its my opinion and a view held by many.

macd123
12-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Says who? I'm not having a go at either of you, but one says its up, one says its down. How do you measure such a thing, and what period are you measuring it over?

Comparing things like the terraces in the 80s and the old fashioned views of SOME of the wartime generation. All my opinion - that's all i can offer!

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Comparing things like the terraces in the 80s and the old fashioned views of SOME of the wartime generation. All my opinion - that's all i can offer!

As I say I wasn't having a go, just interested to hear folks sources.

macd123
12-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Obviously you will not agree with me , and I couldn't care less if you think it's nonsense. Its my opinion and a view held by many.

Malcolm it's just a bit cheap to accuse people who don't agree with you of being racist.

People voted yes knowing it would likely mean staying in the EU and an independent scotland needing 1 million immigrants of working age over the next 20 years. Accusing yessers of being racist is on the same level as people saying no voters don't feel scottish.

And btw i like tom english!

macd123
12-10-2014, 01:46 PM
As I say I wasn't having a go, just interested to hear folks sources.

Fair enough Phil

SkintHibby
12-10-2014, 03:16 PM

This is what get's me. The NO voters seem to get comfort from the fact that they voted no out of some anti-English agenda. I love England, the English and am thinking of moving down to Rugby soon. I simply think Scotland should grow up, grow a pair and become a nation amongst nations.

I too am sick of the whole referendum and respect those who want to be British but I will always speak out against those who say xenophobia was at the heart of it.

Alfred E Newman
12-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Fair enough and I respect your opinion. I voted No for no other reason than I felt it was in Scotlands best interests but that's my opinion.
Let's move on.

ancient hibee
12-10-2014, 05:35 PM
This is what get's me. The NO voters seem to get comfort from the fact that they voted no out of some anti-English agenda. I love England, the English and am thinking of moving down to Rugby soon. I simply think Scotland should grow up, grow a pair and become a nation amongst nations.

I too am sick of the whole referendum and respect those who want to be British but I will always speak out against those who say xenophobia was at the heart of it.

Voted No out of some anti-English agenda?That's a new one.

macd123
12-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Fair enough and I respect your opinion. I voted No for no other reason than I felt it was in Scotlands best interests but that's my opinion.
Let's move on.

:thumbsup:Agreed

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Voted No out of some anti-English agenda?That's a new one.

Not that new, the more ignorant commentators down south were trotting it out regularly. It seems to have been easier than trying to understand and explain the real issues.

(((Fergus)))
12-10-2014, 06:09 PM
English talks more sense than all the inbred weedgie west coast media mafia put together. The fact he's Irish is probably an advantage, as he isn't weighed down by the usual Scottish football prejudices.

Not only does he talk sense, he is also an entertaining writer.