PDA

View Full Version : Poppy banner

Glorious St Pat
11-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Warning flag debate. Mate has asked me to take his large banner - Lest we forget... Hearts did not pay for their poppies - to the upcoming derby. Previously, it was taken down at the Oct derby last year but he has email confirmation from the club that it is ok to do so.

Feel it should be flown as such issue, IMO, we have been too soft on with The Hearts showing once again that crime does indeed pay.

Thoughts?

GreenArmyyy!
11-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Not a fan of using this kind of material to get at them. Would rather just beat them on the pitch and then give it tight.

matty_f
11-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Not a fan of using this kind of material to get at them. Would rather just beat them on the pitch and then give it tight.

Would quite happily see both, to be fair.

Nameless
11-10-2014, 12:35 PM
I think, given how much they play on the glorious dead, it is fully justified for us, or any other club, to publicly show our feelings towards their hypocrisy.

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Both for me as well, they got away with it virtually scot-free and take great joy in rubbing it in the faces of the people they robbed.

Heinous club and fans.

LancashireHibby
11-10-2014, 12:47 PM
As much as I feel it's an issue that should be highlighted much more than it currently is, I think certainly using the "lest we forget" phrasing is, at best, in poor taste.

Bostonhibby
11-10-2014, 12:53 PM
As much as I feel it's an issue that should be highlighted much more than it currently is, I think certainly using the "lest we forget" phrasing is, at best, in poor taste.

Agree, you didnae pay for your poppies would suffice. I take every opportunity to highlight this so long as the double standards exist.

_hucks_
11-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Do we really need to use remembrance for point scoring?

Bostonhibby
11-10-2014, 01:07 PM

Agree, the problem is that the Yam have claimed it in a smug self congratulatory way which is not consistent with their recent deeds so its hard to blame anyone looking to highlight the hypocrisy

Bishop Hibee
11-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Fine by me. Nothing wrong with highlighting Hertz nasty recent history.

matty_f
11-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Fine by me. Nothing wrong with highlighting Hertz nasty recent history.

Too right. :agree:

Big_Franck
11-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Pretty much anything that gets it up those perverts is fine with me.

Pretty Boy
11-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Don't have anything against such a banner as such, although I do find the recent oneupsmanship from both sides around poppies etc a bit distasteful, but you just know the press will paint us as the disresepctful bad guys if it happens.

Best left alone imo as they did, eventually, have the poppy bill paid for them.

Phil D. Rolls
11-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Any other year but this one IMO.

The Green Goblin
11-10-2014, 02:06 PM

That`s my view on it too.

A banner with a list of all the people they shafted would come across better and make a much bigger point imo.

Bostonhibby
11-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Don't have anything against such a banner as such, although I do find the recent oneupsmanship from both sides around poppies etc a bit distasteful, but you just know the press will paint us as the disresepctful bad guys if it happens.

Best left alone imo as they did, eventually, have the poppy bill paid for them.

The macraes battalion trust were a creditor as well I believe (?) Did the money that was resting in the yams accounts on admin ever reach them then?

HappyHibby93
11-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Would rather we just beat them tbh. Think it's a bit trivial to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
11-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Warning flag debate. Mate has asked me to take his large banner - Lest we forget... Hearts did not pay for their poppies - to the upcoming derby. Previously, it was taken down at the Oct derby last year but he has email confirmation from the club that it is ok to do so.

Feel it should be flown as such issue, IMO, we have been too soft on with The Hearts showing once again that crime does indeed pay.

Thoughts?

IMO, it's definitely not in good taste to use war sacrifices for point scoring, no matter how low the other side sunk.
We should be above that.

The Green Goblin
11-10-2014, 02:46 PM
IMO, it's definitely not in good taste to use war sacrifices for point scoring, no matter how low the other side sunk.
We should be above that.

Agree with this. Nobody looking in is going to sympathise with the message in the banner here.

If the point of the banner is to highlight the fact that Hearts got away with some shameless shafting of a great many people, charities etc. then this won`t work - the debate will be all about whether or not the banner is in good taste, not what it says. A better way to do it would be to have a large number of small banners/signs with the name of each company who was shafted and the amount they were owed and have different people hold them up around the stadium. The list is so long that it would turn into a full stadium display... That`s a massive task though and nobody`s going to do it.

When all`s said and done, probably best to just leave it (all imho).

Smiggy 7-0
11-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Agree with this. Nobody looking in is going to sympathise with the message in the banner here.

If the point of the banner is to highlight the fact that Hearts got away with some shameless shafting of a great many people, charities etc. then this won`t work - the debate will be all about whether or not the banner is in good taste, not what it says. A better way to do it would be to have a large number of small banners/signs with the name of each company who was shafted and the amount they were owed and have different people hold them up around the stadium. The list is so long that it would turn into a full stadium display... That`s a massive task though and nobody`s going to do it.

When all`s said and done, probably best to just leave it (all imho). :thumbsup: Everyone knows what they have done, let's just get a team on the park to stuff it right up them.

Pete
11-10-2014, 09:05 PM

Definitely agree that the use of that phrase isn't the best. In fact, a public display mentioning poppies doesn't really sit well either.

Questioning their morals and listing the people they've ripped off and lied to is like shooting fish in a barrel. There are dozens of other examples we could use and any mention of poppies at this time of year should be about one thing: respect.

Del Boy
11-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Poor taste IMO.

FranckSuzy
11-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Just wondering when your mate received permission for such a banner to be displayed? Given that a drum and Hibs flags were banned in some sections of ER today, I would find it baffling if this was allowed, TBH.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
11-10-2014, 09:29 PM

Thoughts?

They should be reminded at every opportunity.

Pete
11-10-2014, 09:47 PM
They should be reminded at every opportunity.

There are other ways to remind them of their wrong-doings though.

If we try and score points by using negative language regarding such a subject then it's quite distasteful in my opinion. People say that they are trying to score points by mentioning their stuff 100 years ago but that isn't point scoring or attacking anyone else. It's a legitimate part of their history which they are entitled to celebrate and should be left alone...even if we feel they are exaggerating.

It's time for class when it comes to things like this.

ronaldo7
11-10-2014, 09:58 PM
I remember seeing a large Hearts banner in the away end at ER some years ago telling all and sundry that they were McCrae's Battalion. Oh how they lorded it over us in their honour of their fallen heroes. This occurred before they stiffed the tax man, and her good self the Queen.

They thought then that others in Edinburgh had not done enough to warrant their honours.

Lest "they" forget.

Edinburgh's 7th Battalion A and D companies, and all others, may you rest in peace.

Scouse Hibee
11-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Petty point scoring with silly banners doesn't interest me one bit.

Ronniekirk
11-10-2014, 10:29 PM
It's not for me ,My Father was a Prisoner of War to the Japanese after the fall of Singapore so Remembrance Day and Poppies have different memories for me

H18Y GW
11-10-2014, 10:29 PM
We should be above that.

My thoughts also

reeks of Soapie****in*****

Golden Bear
11-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Petty point scoring with silly banners doesn't interest me one bit.

Snap. The phrase "Lest we Forget" should be respected and not used in some sort of petty football rivalry contest. We are better than that surely.

silverhibee
11-10-2014, 10:45 PM
How about a " Petrie Out" banner and " We have no faith in the Board" banner as well.

F*** the h****s

Jonnyboy
11-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Just wondering when your mate received permission for such a banner to be displayed? Given that a drum and Hibs flags were banned in some sections of ER today, I would find it baffling if this was allowed, TBH.

Exactly what crossed my mind too

.Sean.
11-10-2014, 11:41 PM
As brazen and shameful it is on Hearts' part, I'd let this one slide. It's pretty poor taste and shows a total lack of class bringing up a phrase like Lest We Forget in an attempt to wind that lot up and it's something I'd actively distance myself from.

I'd rather we started concentrating our efforts and frustrations towards the board, big time, and if banners are to be made and aimed at folk then the fannies in the boardroom should be the targets. Focus on Hibs, no Hearts.

I'm dreading the derby already.

ekhibee
11-10-2014, 11:57 PM
As brazen and shameful it is on Hearts' part, I'd let this one slide. It's pretty poor taste and shows a total lack of class bringing up a phrase like Lest We Forget in an attempt to wind that lot up and it's something I'd actively distance myself from.

I'd rather we started concentrating our efforts and frustrations towards the board, big time, and if banners are to be made and aimed at folk then the fannies in the boardroom should be the targets. Focus on Hibs, no Hearts.

A disabled female season ticket holder has already been removed for displaying such a banner as you suggest. I'd leave the war one, but a list of all the debtors that didn't get paid would get it right up them IMO. It'd take a bit of planning though, there's loads of them.

Pete
11-10-2014, 11:59 PM

You're right about the poppies but the rest is wrong.

You should never let them forget about their wrongdoing. People have the perfect, just replies to all these stupid hand signs but they choose to ignore them and look inwardly. It's a totally separate issue to our situation.

If you're dreading a derby on any level then you need to put your hands between your legs and try to find something to grab a hold of. We're hibs.

.Sean.
12-10-2014, 12:25 AM
You're right about the poppies but the rest is wrong.

You should never let them forget about their wrongdoing. People have the perfect, just replies to all these stupid hand signs but they choose to ignore them and look inwardly. It's a totally separate issue to our situation.

If you're dreading a derby on any level then you need to put your hands between your legs and try to find something to grab a hold of. We're hibs.Oooooh hark at her. We're Hibs, you're right, the perennial whipping boys and Hearts plaything.

Nae wonder I'm dreading the derby, we'll be let down. Again.

Pete
12-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Oooooh hark at her. We're Hibs, you're right, the perennial whipping boys and Hearts plaything.

Nae wonder I'm dreading the derby, we'll be let down. Again.

Hark at me?

We're hibs and we will always be superior to hearts. It's not always about results on the park. Talk like "whipping boys" and "playthings" is something that's been drummed into your head.

Hold your head high no matter what.:aok:

givescotlandfreedom
12-10-2014, 01:26 AM
I think, given how much they play on the glorious dead, it is fully justified for us, or any other club, to publicly show our feelings towards their hypocrisy.

It's the truth. Let it be known

Leith Mo
12-10-2014, 02:09 AM
Personally their usurpation of the historical memory in the immediate afterwards of The Great War having stolen the Haymarket Clock as their own and ever since 1918 sticks in my throat. They proudly say that they refused a sponsored shirt this season to remember the fallen yrt ho

macd123
12-10-2014, 02:14 AM
How about we all have a whip round to pay the bill for their poppies or to another charity that got shafted? I think that would send a stronger message.

Leith Mo
12-10-2014, 02:19 AM
Sorry on my phone. Yet how much from enhanced shirt sales has gone into the charities they robbed apart from the poppy fund? Wake up and smell the coffee. Lest we forget is a phrase they trot out every year (check Jack Alexander annual post yet again this year moved to the Dug Out forum). Ram it back down their throats on this of all "matters" it's only them who make it an issue. Lest we forget the fallen but those men of WW1 didn't die for HMFC to profit from their memory financially or otherwise.

Turkish Green
12-10-2014, 03:26 AM
In very poor taste.

TheHarpy76
12-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Petty point scoring is one thing, using such a banner for petty point scoring is another and quite frankly extremely disrespectful.

***** idea

Sir David Gray
12-10-2014, 07:12 AM
We need to rise above that sort of thing.

I would be disappointed if that sort of banner made an appearance at ER and as others have said already it would be in very poor taste.

Kaiser1962
12-10-2014, 07:28 AM
How about we all have a whip round to pay the bill for their poppies or to another charity that got shafted? I think that would send a stronger message.

A suitably embarrassed fan paid their poppy bill so they can now claim, rightly, that the Lady Haig fund bill was paid. Only not by HMFC.

It is worth remembering that the main reason a number of players signed for them and not us was that they offered much more money than us. And the reason they could do that was by not paying taxes, local firms and things like the poppy fund whilst "borrowing" money from places like Big Hearts Charity when all other sources had been exhausted.

Humiliation is not about losing a football match, it is about losing your dignity. And while Hearts (and The Rangers) continue to manipulate their associations with the armed forces of this country for their own ends, it is worth reminding them of their past deeds, and the depths they plunged to seek success at a game of football.

Some things are much, much more important.

Brizo
12-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Thoughts?

Not comfortable with this tbh. Find it a bit distasteful and disrespectful to all the war dead to use "Lest we forget".

Apart from the moral side of it given our Hertz friendly media my thoughts are this could backfire on the Hibs support big style. Also think you would be playing right into the diets hands.

Imho we are better than that. I doubt if any of the Hibernian war dead buried in the Eastern, Pilrig, Mount Vernon etc cemeteries (and those whose names are on the walls of the St Pats war memorial chapel) would have wanted their ultimate sacrifice reduced to tit for tat fitba animosity.

woody47
12-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Any point scoring by using the death of others, is, IMHO, tasteless and I hope we would never lower ourselves to this sort of thing.
Yes, they are slime but let them try and score points with all the 'we won the war' nonsense. Anyone with one brain cell knows the truth and it just makes them out to be the **** we all know.

semaj64
12-10-2014, 09:03 AM
not for me, pretty poor taste and as others have said it will be used against Hibs by media. Win it on the park and stop the Hearts good fortune, we have done it before

Stranraer
12-10-2014, 09:58 AM
NO.

Forza Fred
12-10-2014, 10:51 AM
In a time of crisis I'd rather we turned our energy to improving our lot, rather than wasting it on that shower of excrement.

PETRIE O U T banners or scarves would be what I
D prefer to see.

Nobody is going to give permission for any of the banners mentioned, but I have seen scarves held up by other supporters along the lines of Petrie Out, and surely spending energy on that project would be time better served.

12-10-2014, 11:00 AM
I agree that that absolute flithy shower should NEVER be allowed to forget their sordid, despicable deeds. Conning a charity (particularly the poppy charity given how much they go on about their involvement in WW1) just to gain a bit of success really is the lowest of the low and as much as they try to sweep it all under the carpet and pretend it never happened - it DID happen and they should forever be remembered for the cheating, robbing vile crooks that they are. They are a completely shameless bunch that would rob their grannies if it meant gaining a bit of succes and sticking it to hibs. It's truly sickening to think what they have gotten away with over the years, once again they fell in the **** and came up smelling of roses and now back given it the billy big baws routine - giving it the two fingers to every person/business/charity they have conned.

However, we all know how it would end - hibs fans suddenly turned into the bad guys. Never let them forget about their shameless actions but I would stay away from that kind of banner, especially in the run up to the centenary memorial - might seem a bit tasteless.

Glorious St Pat
12-10-2014, 04:06 PM
So I take it that is a no then? Not quite understanding the poor taste sentiment and disrespect aired by others. The central message is one of fact and considering the Yams *******isation of the whole WW1 situation, it is the perfect wind up. The emails came from the club in that the banner did not break any current laws. Seems many on here are as soft as the team. Sod it, the banner is coming.

Scouse Hibee
12-10-2014, 04:12 PM
So I take it that is a no then? Not quite understanding the poor taste sentiment and disrespect aired by others. The central message is one of fact and considering the Yams *******isation of the whole WW1 situation, it is the perfect wind up. The emails came from the club in that the banner did not break any current laws. Seems many on here are as soft as the team. Sod it, the banner is coming.

Fed up hearing this pish on here as soon as opinions are not in line with what people want to hear. You asked for thoughts and got them!

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2014, 04:15 PM

Why did you bother asking if you didn't want people to disagree with you?

Jamie
12-10-2014, 04:24 PM
but he has email confirmation from the club that it is ok to do so.

I really do doubt that he has email confirmation, if so excellent, can you sneak some smoke bombs in with it and let them off, cheers :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-10-2014, 04:35 PM
They couldnae give a flying one about us having banners referencing their non payments of debt, they've quickly turned their attention to winning football matches, it might be time for us to try such a novel approach.

Brizo
12-10-2014, 04:42 PM

You asked for thoughts and when they don't agree with yours, you resort to slagging off your fellow Hibbies. Why bother starting the thread if you couldn't take what was constructive criticism made in a non abusive manner ?

Salisbury Hibby
12-10-2014, 04:44 PM
I think we should concentrate on our own problems. Not bothered what Hearts have done in the past. Let's just beat them, eh?

trev the hat
12-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Thoughts?

Get your mate to fly his own flag & if he does at least spell it right, or does he not fancy flying it personally & wants to pass on the responsibility ?

I would invite you to provide proof of the authorisation from Hibs & show it on here to approve this, can't be hard as its all green lighted & your mate wants you to do it.

Ps can you please inform me of the exact crimes that HMFC have committed & I'll inform the appropriate authorities Ta

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2014, 05:04 PM
You asked for thoughts and when they don't agree with yours, you resort to slagging off your fellow Hibbies. Why bother starting the thread if you couldn't take what was constructive criticism made in a non abusive manner ?

:agree:

Scouse Hibee
12-10-2014, 05:23 PM

:agree: Makes me think the "my mate, permission given, blah,blah,blah" is nonsense.

Diclonius
12-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Hearts' off field sins are of zero concern to me when on the field (head to head and in the league) they best us regularly. I'd rather we just beat them.

silverhibee
12-10-2014, 05:53 PM

Who did you speak to at the club about getting the banner in to the ground.?

Scouse Hibee
12-10-2014, 06:14 PM
It appears the Glorious St Pat has lost his voice on here!

The Green Goblin
12-10-2014, 06:17 PM

"It is the perfect windup"

And you say you can not understand the "poor taste sentiment"?

Dashing Bob S
12-10-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm all for this. I find their sniveling, pathetic, manipulative use of the war dead for self-glorification purposes (thinly disguised as a tribute) to be utterly nauseating.

That it takes place within the context of the most shallow, non-penitent financial abuse and fraud, is completely beyond the pale.

Never let them forget.

Jonnyboy
12-10-2014, 06:41 PM

That's poor S, I expect better from you

Glorious St Pat
12-10-2014, 07:07 PM
That's poor S, I expect better from you

I'm sorry John but what is poor? I feel that some have twisted the banner message and it's wording has no intention of besmirching the memory of the fallen. It quite simply is a message of fact and an opportunity to never let them forget that they shafted a charity that they hold dear.

To say nothing and sit on our hands seems to be the response here. It is not my banner and my friend whose banner it is has already posted on the thread and has the written communications from the club to say that it should not have been taken down at a previous derby.

Jonnyboy
12-10-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm sorry John but what is poor? I feel that some have twisted the banner message and it's wording has no intention of besmirching the memory of the fallen. It quite simply is a message of fact and an opportunity to never let them forget that they shafted a charity that they hold dear.

To say nothing and sit on our hands seems to be the response here. It is not my banner and my friend whose banner it is has already posted on the thread and has the written communications from the club to say that it should not have been taken down at a previous derby.

The 'lest we forget' is something that should not, IMO, be used as a jibe whatever the reasons S. If the banner simply said 'Poppy Thieves' it would make the same point just as strongly

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-10-2014, 07:14 PM
As I said earlier, as a collective they arnae bothered, they're happy enough with a team to still follow, the fact they currently sit atop the league is a wee Brucie Bonus for them.

Ozyhibby
12-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Hearts must be the only commercial enterprise in the world still making money out of WW1.

Soldiersteve
12-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Snap. The phrase "Lest we Forget" should be respected and not used in some sort of petty football rivalry contest. We are better than that surely.

This soldier does not want to see any point scoring over any Remembrance event / issue.
That is all.

FranckSuzy
12-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Great, two insults in one. Being "soft" has nothing to do with it - it's about having some decency and not using the deaths of thousands of men to make a point about our footballing rivals. To me, it's crass and in bad taste (that's called an opinion, and what you asked for in your OP).

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-10-2014, 08:43 PM
This soldier does not want to see any point scoring over any Remembrance event / issue.
That is all.

Quite right too.

LancashireHibby
12-10-2014, 08:44 PM
That is all.
Thread ends here as far as I'm concerned.

AinsterHibs
12-10-2014, 09:24 PM

Beezer! :greengrin

R11Loaded
12-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Hearts must be the only commercial enterprise in the world still making money out of WW1.

When I saw that new strip and the reference to WW1 I was actually angry.

"Oh it's so smart and in great taste"

If that strip is for the McRae's battalion donate proceeds to it. Profits from shirt sales go to the charity you previously shafted to pay Rudi Skacel an extra couple of grand.

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

12-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Great, two insults in one. Being "soft" has nothing to do with it - it's about having some decency and not using the deaths of thousands of men to make a point about our footballing rivals. To me, it's crass and in bad taste (that's called an opinion, and what you asked for in your OP).

:top marks

EastCalderHibby
12-10-2014, 10:15 PM

:agree: just been over on pheododome what a bunch of complete mutants some tit called dokratro says hibs are an embarrassment because of the
post from Leanne and how we are falling for it oh the irony

did you not .....BELIEVE
champions league football at the pbs
£10m singings
50,000 stadium
never to lose 5 - 0 again wtf happened when you remember could let the rest of you're sewer dwelling mutants know as they seem to
have very bad /selective memories

get the banner up for the world to see :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

marinello59
12-10-2014, 10:16 PM
That is all.

Well said.

Hibrandenburg
13-10-2014, 07:43 AM

Thoughts?

No! Let them continue to disgracefully use remembrance day to try and score petty political points. Let us quietly remember those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom like it was intended to be. Why stoop to their level?

Billy McKirdy
13-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Notice that the op has been copied into the comments section of the Malonga pen story in today's EEN.
For what it's worth, I think this banner is a terrible idea, the assertion that the club have ok'd is highly dubious too.

Let's do our talking on the pitch....where it really matters.

Leith Mo
13-10-2014, 12:41 PM
First of all - the banner was created and paid for by me. However, I have taken the decision not to attend Easter Road until Mr Petrie departs hence I will not be there to fly the banner in person, but just as I am sticking to my principle of non-attendance (mucha s it hurts me to do so) I also wished the principle of highlighting their theft on this of all matters to satnd, hence my request for a "volunteer" to do so on my behalf and other like-minded individuals. (Edit - If Lewis Stevenson is given a testimonial this year at Easter Road I will attend).

Re the Club's permission to the banner being flown or not - here is the context of events after the banner was removed last season by a steward.
The Club were asked why the banner had been taken down, and for it to be returned given that a Police Scotland Officer at the game said: "It doesn't break any of the laws of Scotland: it is not racist, sectarian nor does it contain offensive language. It is at best annoying (if you're a Hearts fan), but as a statement of fact it is not inciting breach of any law I am aware of and therefore in my opinion it should not have been removed." As a result of this, Robbie McGregor, Operations Manager at the Stadium was contacted to ensure its return which he agreed to do, explaining that the banner had been removed because the Club "at this time had become aware given HMFC's financial situation that our fans intended to display banners to that effect...and it was felt that on this occasion such banners would not be permitted." The banner was subsequently returned by Rob's colleague (Robbie works part-time at the stadium) with the question: "Are you flying it at the next Derby?" and a knowing nod and a wink - thereby implying tacit acceptance the banner can fly.

I have very strong family reasons which I have elaborated on here in the past as to why this particular part of history and its theft by HMFC sticks in my throat. They must never be alowwed to forget this as one of the most shameful episodes of their history when they openly make money from their distorted version of the fallen. No disrespect whatsoever is meant to those who died in any conflict by the banner - the intention is purey to demonstrate their hypocrisy. The choice of the phrase "Lest We Forget" is one which they are happy to trot out every year with no shame, hence its use. I agree this is a very emotive subject, but given my own family's history with two members of the Hearts team who joined up with McCrae's Battalion it is one which I feel fully justified in commenting upon and in pointing out the fact that they are wrong. If this is an issue so dear to them, let them settle debts left unpaid by the Club (not their fans) and in this centenary year make a special one-off payment of the extra revenue gained from their "poppy" strip as so many of them refer to it to the Poppy Fund and or other ex-servicemen's charities.

So in short, the OP is stating th efacts given to him re the banner - any of those who know him will vouch he is deifinitely NOT a liar and is a true Hibby gent of integrity - S my apologies for having placed you in a position where you've been given such public flak on my behalf.

Golden Bear
13-10-2014, 01:15 PM
First of all - the banner was created and paid for by me. However, I have taken the decision not to attend Easter Road until Mr Petrie departs hence I will not be there to fly the banner in person, but just as I am sticking to my principle of non-attendance (mucha s it hurts me to do so) I also wished the principle of highlighting their theft on this of all matters to satnd, hence my request for a "volunteer" to do so on my behalf and other like-minded individuals. (Edit - If Lewis Stevenson is given a testimonial this year at Easter Road I will attend).

Re the Club's permission to the banner being flown or not - here is the context of events after the banner was removed last season by a steward.
The Club were asked why the banner had been taken down, and for it to be returned given that a Police Scotland Officer at the game said: "It doesn't break any of the laws of Scotland: it is not racist, sectarian nor does it contain offensive language. It is at best annoying (if you're a Hearts fan), but as a statement of fact it is not inciting breach of any law I am aware of and therefore in my opinion it should not have been removed." As a result of this, Robbie McGregor, Operations Manager at the Stadium was contacted to ensure its return which he agreed to do, explaining that the banner had been removed because the Club "at this time had become aware given HMFC's financial situation that our fans intended to display banners to that effect...and it was felt that on this occasion such banners would not be permitted." The banner was subsequently returned by Rob's colleague (Robbie works part-time at the stadium) with the question: "Are you flying it at the next Derby?" and a knowing nod and a wink - thereby implying tacit acceptance the banner can fly.

I have very strong family reasons which I have elaborated on here in the past as to why this particular part of history and its theft by HMFC sticks in my throat. They must never be alowwed to forget this as one of the most shameful episodes of their history when they openly make money from their distorted version of the fallen. No disrespect whatsoever is meant to those who died in any conflict by the banner - the intention is purey to demonstrate their hypocrisy. The choice of the phrase "Lest We Forget" is one which they are happy to trot out every year with no shame, hence its use. I agree this is a very emotive subject, but given my own family's history with two members of the Hearts team who joined up with McCrae's Battalion it is one which I feel fully justified in commenting upon and in pointing out the fact that they are wrong. If this is an issue so dear to them, let them settle debts left unpaid by the Club (not their fans) and in this centenary year make a special one-off payment of the extra revenue gained from their "poppy" strip as so many of them refer to it to the Poppy Fund and or other ex-servicemen's charities.

So in short, the OP is stating th efacts given to him re the banner - any of those who know him will vouch he is deifinitely NOT a liar and is a true Hibby gent of integrity - S my apologies for having placed you in a position where you've been given such public flak on my behalf.

But no e mail confirmation from the club? (see OP)

I see from the Club's website that the Ground Rules for displaying banners is as follows:-

"Club flags and banners, as well as any official national flag are permissible, provided they do not carry any additional religious, racist or other derogatory messages. Flags/banners must not interfere with the viewing capabilities or safety of other Spectators. In addition, flags and banners must not be allowed to obstruct advertising boards or directional signage. Small flags can be mounted on garden canes, provided the canes measure less than 100 cms. in length"

From what you say, it would be stretching things to describe the banner as "derogatory" but personally it's a subject area which is best left alone and a Derby game should be all about a game of football and let's leave it there.

Billy McKirdy
13-10-2014, 01:54 PM
But no e mail confirmation from the club? (see OP)

I see from the Club's website that the Ground Rules for displaying banners is as follows:-

"Club flags and banners, as well as any official national flag are permissible, provided they do not carry any additional religious, racist or other derogatory messages. Flags/banners must not interfere with the viewing capabilities or safety of other Spectators. In addition, flags and banners must not be allowed to obstruct advertising boards or directional signage. Small flags can be mounted on garden canes, provided the canes measure less than 100 cms. in length"

From what you say, it would be stretching things to describe the banner as "derogatory" but personally it's a subject area which is best left alone and a Derby game should be all about a game of football and let's leave it there.

It might not be derogatory but it's most certainly inflammatory, I think we're all in agreement that the poppy thieves have got off virtually scot free with trophies won through living obscenely outwith their means, but this tit for tat cack from both sets of supporters really gets my back up, we are where we are, they are where they are, live with it and concentrate on the football alone.
Terrible idea? You bet.

marinello59
13-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Is this for real? You feel really really strongly about this but not strongly enough to make the effort to take the banner yourself? :faf:

Leith Mo
13-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Is this for real? You feel really really strongly about this but not strongly enough to make the effort to take the banner yourself? :faf:

My reasons for my non-attendance are given in the post you replied to. Let me explain my reasons for feeling so strongly about this issue - perhaps you might get some inclination of my view. (Not having a go although your rolly smiley is a bit OTT IMO).

One of the leading Hearts players who joined McCrae's Battalion was a man named George (Geordie) Sinclair who went on the captain Scotland and the Scottish League Select sides - he is still revered as a hero at Tynecastle. He also had a brother Wullie who played for the same Hearts side again revered by HMFC, and a lesser known brother Johnny Sinclair, a regular army private in the Royal Scots Fusiliers who saw action from 1914-26th May 1916 when he was killed in action. He is buried at Vermelles Cemetery in Northern France, and is remembered with honour.
Johnny Sinclair was my paternal grandmother's first husband, and the father of my Dad's half-brother, Johnny junior. When pregnant with this child (who subsequently lived with my family as almost a "grandad" figure until his untimely death in 1981) my grandmother went to visit the Sinclair family in their pub at the top of Abbeyhill Steps not far from the Hibs Ground to let them hear of their brother's death and also to invite them to be a part of my Uncle's life. This they refused in no uncertain terms on religious and footballing grounds (my family clearly coming from "a different side of the coin" to them).

Therefore, had one hero not died fighting, my grandmother may never have remarried and my own father, uncles, aunts, and therfore by extension myself and my siblings etc etc may never have been born. I have stood in front of Johnny Sinclair Sr's grave on the Western Front and this really hits home. The adage "He gave his life that we might live" is certainly true in the case of myself and my family.

What I feel so strongly about is clearly personal, but it is also their selective use of historical memory which they now believe is accepted "fact." Then again people often say if you tell a lie enough it becomes accepted truth. For one soldier to be forgotten is wrong, in this case a soldier very dear to my heart, but clearly one with very storng HMFC connections. That is why I for one will remind them always Lest We Forget HMFC Did Not Pay For Their Poppies.

Maybe this helps to clarify matters. I hope so.

marinello59
13-10-2014, 03:04 PM
My reasons for my non-attendance are given in the post you replied to. Let me explain my reasons for feeling so strongly about this issue - perhaps you might get some inclination of my view. (Not having a go although your rolly smiley is a bit OTT IMO).

One of the leading Hearts players who joined McCrae's Battalion was a man named George (Geordie) Sinclair who went on the captain Scotland and the Scottish League Select sides - he is still revered as a hero at Tynecastle. He also had a brother Wullie who played for the same Hearts side again revered by HMFC, and a lesser known brother Johnny Sinclair, a regular army private in the Royal Scots Fusiliers who saw action from 1914-26th May 1916 when he was killed in action. He is buried at Vermelles Cemetery in Northern France, and is remembered with honour.
Johnny Sinclair was my paternal grandmother's first husband, and the father of my Dad's half-brother, Johnny junior. When pregnant with this child (who subsequently lived with my family as almost a "grandad" figure until his untimely death in 1981) my grandmother went to visit the Sinclair family in their pub at the top of Abbeyhill Steps not far from the Hibs Ground to let them hear of their brother's death and also to invite them to be a part of my Uncle's life. This they refused in no uncertain terms on religious and footballing grounds (my family clearly coming from "a different side of the coin" to them).

Therefore, had one hero not died fighting, my grandmother may never have remarried and my own father, uncles, aunts, and therfore by extension myself and my siblings etc etc may never have been born. I have stood in front of Johnny Sinclair Sr's grave on the Western Front and this really hits home. The adage "He gave his life that we might live" is certainly true in the case of myself and my family.

What I feel so strongly about is clearly personal, but it is also their selective use of historical memory which they now believe is accepted "fact." Then again people often say if you tell a lie enough it becomes accepted truth. For one soldier to be forgotten is wrong, in this case a soldier very dear to my heart, but clearly one with very storng HMFC connections. That is why I for one will remind them always Lest We Forget HMFC Did Not Pay For Their Poppies.

Aye, apologies for the smiley, that was OTT.
If you remove the reference to Macraes battalion then pretty much every family in the land could have similar stories to yourself to relate regarding their family history. And many of us would find the hijacking of the Lest we Forget phrase distasteful for that very reason.
You obviously feel that your anti-Petrie stance is more important than this though as you won't even attend the game to show your banner so this whole thread seems much ado about nothing really.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-10-2014, 03:15 PM
You obviously feel that your anti-Petrie stance is more important than this though as you won't even attend the game to show your banner so this whole thread seems much ado about nothing really.

Indeed, maybe he should get his mate to take along an anti-Petrie banner instead, it would probably receive a lot more support on here too.

bruno
13-10-2014, 03:17 PM

This may be very personal to you and that is entirely your perogative.

Personally my reading of this is you sound more bitter with the way your grandmother was disgustingly treated and how this relates to the present incumbents of the management and supporters I do not quite understand.However apologies if this is not the case.

There is absolutely no doubt the previous shambolic owners of Hearts treated fans, businesses, authorities and players with utter contempt. I persoanally and I am sure many others are in various degress embarressed or ashamed by some of their actions. However they were what they were and we have to eventually move on. I truly believe our current owners will show more respect to the whole of the Edinburgh/Scottish community so while you can't embrace them you will at least hopefully have a grudging respect to how they operate.
there have been so many off the field initiatives we have already seen put in place and at times like this we realise how departed from reality the previous regime was run. Will they make mistakes, yes of course, do I feel encouraged by the way they are running the club. I sure as hell do.
Was I caught up in the hysteria of the Romanov regime, yes initially but it turned sour for me in many senses long before the end.

I respect your and all other Hibs fans to feel however they wish towards the previous owners and of course I fully expect as rivals you will continue to remind us of our misdemeanours but i honestly feel the use of the poppy motto is stooping lower than you need to.

When I pay my respects each year I do it to all fallen soldiers irrespective of their religion, upbringing or team they supported or played for.

Let us remember each and every one of them with the greatest respect.

There are many things you can berate, tease, abuse us for as rivals but I for one would like it to be anything but this. I note with respect Steve the soldiers post earlier. Simple succint but straight from the heart and to the point.

heretoday
13-10-2014, 03:38 PM
More tea vicar?

The Falcon
13-10-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm all for this. I find their sniveling, pathetic, manipulative use of the war dead for self-glorification purposes (thinly disguised as a tribute) to be utterly nauseating.

That it takes place within the context of the most shallow, non-penitent financial abuse and fraud, is completely beyond the pale.

Never let them forget.

Totally with you Bob. It was they who repeatedly raised the issue year after year about which Hibs player/staff member was wearing/not wearing a poppy then castigating said individual. They brought the issue into the public arena and need reminded at every opportunity of their misdemeanour's. An absolute disgrace of a club.

13-10-2014, 04:34 PM
This may be very personal to you and that is entirely your perogative.

Personally my reading of this is you sound more bitter with the way your grandmother was disgustingly treated and how this relates to the present incumbents of the management and supporters I do not quite understand.However apologies if this is not the case.

There is absolutely no doubt the previous shambolic owners of Hearts treated fans, businesses, authorities and players with utter contempt. I persoanally and I am sure many others are in various degress embarressed or ashamed by some of their actions. However they were what they were and we have to eventually move on. I truly believe our current owners will show more respect to the whole of the Edinburgh/Scottish community so while you can't embrace them you will at least hopefully have a grudging respect to how they operate.
there have been so many off the field initiatives we have already seen put in place and at times like this we realise how departed from reality the previous regime was run. Will they make mistakes, yes of course, do I feel encouraged by the way they are running the club. I sure as hell do.
Was I caught up in the hysteria of the Romanov regime, yes initially but it turned sour for me in many senses long before the end.

I respect your and all other Hibs fans to feel however they wish towards the previous owners and of course I fully expect as rivals you will continue to remind us of our misdemeanours but i honestly feel the use of the poppy motto is stooping lower than you need to.

When I pay my respects each year I do it to all fallen soldiers irrespective of their religion, upbringing or team they supported or played for.

Let us remember each and every one of them with the greatest respect.

There are many things you can berate, tease, abuse us for as rivals but I for one would like it to be anything but this. I note with respect Steve the soldiers post earlier. Simple succint but straight from the heart and to the point.

More "it wasnae us - the big bad boys did it and ran off" garbage. The hearts fans knew what was going on but lapped it all up because it was giving them some ill-gottnen success and fuelling the delusion that you are "the big team" all the while giving it the big 2 fingers to every other club/small business/charities etc use were screwing.

Absolutely shameful, truly disgusting club.

Bostonhibby
13-10-2014, 05:34 PM
More "it wasnae us - the big bad boys did it and ran off" garbage. The hearts fans knew what was going on but lapped it all up because it was giving them some ill-gottnen success and fuelling the delusion that you are "the big team" all the while giving it the big 2 fingers to every other club/small business/charities etc use were screwing.

Absolutely shameful, truly disgusting club.

This is where I am for the majority of yams who have swollen their fan base over the last decade or so (when the funny money and strange signings were about). I have some sympathy with Bruno's general point as there are a few about from the times before they were spending and never intending to repay someone elses' money - not many in those days mind as there were fewer fans at their games in those days too.

That type of yam in my experience tends to see the hijacking of the WW1 and associated events for what it is - something that the less aware yam were encouraged to focus on as exclusively theirs and something they have a greater claim to - that mentality has been fostered comparatively recently - the whole occasion was rightly dealt with in a much more dignified way before the Romanov era I would say, maybe even earlier.

To my knowledge it's comparatively recent that fans of other clubs whose players also fought for their country have found themselves having to remind yams and their affiliates that this was the case and for that I say shame on those yams who do think that way, they don't know their history.

Reflecting on this I have no problem reminding them of every one they bumped for money, especially if it proves to be the case that they are still in denial about it, or worse proclaim some special allegiance or relationship towards those whose money they used and didn't return.

Big respect to the yam who paid the poppy money themselves as it shows there are those who think like the majority of us in every club. Should never have been in a position where they had to do it.

EastCalderHibby
13-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Totally with you Bob. It was they who repeatedly raised the issue year after year about which Hibs player/staff member was wearing/not wearing a poppy then castigating said individual. They brought the issue into the public arena and need reminded at every opportunity of their misdemeanour's. An absolute disgrace of a club.

:top marks as stated on previous post they say we are an embarrassment says it all really. just how thick are these pheodos
oh and any sewer dwellers looking in we know the poppy's were eventually paid for BUT not by the club that bumped them tits

Phil D. Rolls
13-10-2014, 06:47 PM
The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

The Green Goblin
13-10-2014, 07:36 PM
There is absolutely no doubt the previous shambolic owners of Hearts treated fans, businesses, authorities and players with utter contempt.

It was precisely the players who benefitted with huge salaries paid by using other people`s money.

I persoanally and I am sure many others are in various degress embarressed or ashamed by some of their actions.

I don`t recall a single Hearts fan or club rep acknowledging or expressing any remorse for what the club did. Ever.

However they were what they were and we have to eventually move on.

Easy to say when you have dumped 28.5M of debt. You still celebrate the cups it won you though.

I truly believe our current owners will show more respect to the whole of the Edinburgh/Scottish community so while you can't embrace them you will at least hopefully have a grudging respect to how they operate.

Are they going to pay back some of the creditors that they shafted then? Thought not. Here`s the list again: Hearts Creditors List (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/hearts-list-of-creditors-in-full-1-3024802)

You and your invisible friends must have been everywhere, wringing your hands in anguish, just wishing it would all stop: we just couldn`t see you...

Phil D. Rolls
13-10-2014, 07:44 PM
“I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.”
― James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

Let it go guys, FFS let it go. It's not dignified, it's not very witty and its just wrong.

Hibernia&Alba
13-10-2014, 08:00 PM
We know what they did, and it was disgraceful, but the banner could backfire on the Hibs support: the accusation being the use of Remembrance Day to take a cheap shot at Hearts. Our behavior could become the story, rather than theirs.

The Green Goblin
13-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Let it go guys, FFS let it go. It's not dignified, it's not very witty and its just wrong.

Was that post for me? If it was, then I think I have made my personal disagreement with the banner very clear, but I am also entitled to reply to other posts on the thread, am I not?

Phil D. Rolls
13-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Was that post for me? If it was, it`s not hate, it`s really not, not for me anyway. I have made my personal disagreement with the banner very clear, but I am also entitled to reply to other posts on the thread, am I not?

Absolutely not, sorry if you think it was. It's just a reflection of the general nonsense on this thread. Crocodile tears about the non payment, likely to backfire on us big style. Nobody will win in this situation, but plenty people will lose.

I'll be having a look at your posts now though. :devil:

The Green Goblin
13-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Absolutely not, sorry if you think it was. It's just a reflection of the general nonsense on this thread. Crocodile tears about the non payment, likely to backfire on us big style. Nobody will win in this situation, but plenty people will lose.

I'll be having a look at your posts now though. :devil:

I agree with all that.

My posts are fine, really. Thanks for the offer, but they`ll be okay. :greengrin

13-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Hearts fans I know certainly haven't shown any signs of embarrassment at their clubs shameful antics. It's all business as usual now and bragging about how they are "debt free" and "haha look at us we never died". Like i said in my previous post - it's just a big two fingers up to everyone they have cheated and conned. They really don't have any shame whatsoever.

Glorious St Pat
13-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Hearts fans I know certainly haven't shown any signs of embarrassment at their clubs shameful antics. It's all business as usual now and bragging about how they are "debt free" and "haha look at us we never died". Like i said in my previous post - it's just a big two fingers up to everyone they have cheated and conned. They really don't have any shame whatsoever.

Exactly and some Hibbies here are fearful that any flagging up of the issue could backfire on us. Maybe I wrongly used the wrong word 'soft' but we certainly have become sanitised and very accepting in not rocking any boat. Again, the banner intention is not to denigrate the memory of anyone - merely wind them up and never let them forget that they shafted many including their dear Haig poppy fund.

Hibernia&Alba
13-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Exactly and some Hibbies here are fearful that any flagging up of the issue could backfire on us. Maybe I wrongly used the wrong word 'soft' but we certainly have become sanitised and very accepting in not rocking any boat. Again, the banner intention is not to denigrate the memory of anyone - merely wind them up and never let them forget that they shafted many including their dear Haig poppy fund.

I'm not suggesting it actually is intended to denigrate he memory of the war dead, mate. Merely it might be perceived as such, so putting the Hibs support on the defensive, and that Shameless FC would certainly try to spin it that way.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-10-2014, 08:42 PM

FFS! It doesnae wind them up. They couldnae give a Donald Duck!

mca
13-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Sing the Mercer Song as well.. I Like it..

Call the Poppy-Thieves' or whatever - But I really Don't Like - The Lest We Forget.. bit... !!!

That's not Right.. just my opinion ..

Pete
13-10-2014, 08:53 PM

I think it does. They're hardly going to admit that though.

Hiber-nation
13-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Indeed, maybe he should get his mate to take along an anti-Petrie banner instead, it would probably receive a lot more support on here too.

Exactly.

What a load of pish, banners about poppies. Embarrassing.

The Green Goblin
13-10-2014, 09:00 PM
I think it does. They're hardly going to admit that though.

Big teams can`t afford themselves the luxury of a conscience. They are too busy winning things at all costs. It`s the Hearts way.

Personally, Peter, I don`t think they care one bit. 5-1, remember?

heretoday
13-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Exactly.

What a load of pish, banners about poppies. Embarrassing.

Correct. :agree:

Pete
13-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Big teams can`t afford themselves the luxury of a conscience. They are too busy winning things at all costs. It`s the Hearts way.

Personally, Peter, I don`t think they care one bit. 5-1, remember?

Oh yeah, worth every penny apparently.

Has the cure for ebola been under our noses all along: 5-1!

One Day Soon
13-10-2014, 09:41 PM
This is a very, very bad idea.

Don't ever let them forget in songs and chants at games, in conversation, on social media, at family gatherings, in the pub, at work and anywhere else you can think of.

But not this. 'Lest we forget' only has one meaning and in one context. It should never be misused or diluted.

FranckSuzy
13-10-2014, 09:50 PM

With all due respect, you're missing the point here, IMHO. It's not about Hibs fans per se being 'afraid' of winding up Hearts fans as it's much, much bigger than that. It's about not denigrating the memory of the fallen whilst trying to goad rival football fans. It's not really that hard to understand, is it? :confused:

silverhibee
13-10-2014, 09:56 PM

This.

They are proud of there wrong doing.

Leith Mo
13-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Ok. I believe that as a support we are like our club utterly divided and it seems from the debate on here at least that displaying the banner at this game might just increase that division. I do believe that some on here have failed to grasp the real intention of the wording ie to highlight the hypocrisy of the poppy pilferers who continue to act as war profiteers in many ways milking the sacrifice that was made. Everyone is entitled to an opinion however much we disagree with that opinion.
At least this has prompted debate and discussion to some degree and actually in Bruno's post IMO a well intentioned contribution from the other side (but failing to*fully appreciate the anger in much of our support at the constant attempt to blame previous financial owners of their club for the mistakes - I'll use that word as a kindness and catch all at this juncture - whilst refusing to show any regrets). Last year perhaps because it was more immediate I would say having spoken to many fans (not on here) there was real appetite and desire to point out that this theft was amongst the lowest of their many heinous actions. I have already said that I will certainly never fail to remind them that they did not pay for the poppies in the forlorn hope that at least some of them actually admit it (not yet heard one of them give a straight yes/no answer to the question) and dare I say even apologise. I'd like to see their club pay its debt by way of channelling all the revenue from their war profiteer strip this season go to ex-services charities. It isn't going to happen. This is one way of striking back at them. However it also seems like it is drawing a wedge between our own support. Therefore perhaps the banner should stay away from this game although I think it only right to reserve the right to fly it in future?

silverhibee
13-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Ok. I believe that as a support we are like our club utterly divided and it seems from the debate on here at least that displaying the banner at this game might just increase that division. I do believe that some on here have failed to grasp the real intention of the wording ie to highlight the hypocrisy of the poppy pilferers who continue to act as war profiteers in many ways milking the sacrifice that was made. Everyone is entitled to an opinion however much we disagree with that opinion.
At least this has prompted debate and discussion to some degree and actually in Bruno's post IMO a well intentioned contribution from the other side (but failing to*fully appreciate the anger in much of our support at the constant attempt to blame previous financial owners of their club for the mistakes - I'll use that word as a kindness and catch all at this juncture - whilst refusing to show any regrets). Last year perhaps because it was more immediate I would say having spoken to many fans (not on here) there was real appetite and desire to point out that this theft was amongst the lowest of their many heinous actions. I have already said that I will certainly never fail to remind them that they did not pay for the poppies in the forlorn hope that at least some of them actually admit it (not yet heard one of them give a straight yes/no answer to the question) and dare I say even apologise. I'd like to see their club pay its debt by way of channelling all the revenue from their war profiteer strip this season go to ex-services charities. It isn't going to happen. This is one way of striking back at them. However it also seems like it is drawing a wedge between our own support. Therefore perhaps the banner should stay away from this game although I think it only right to reserve the right to fly it in future?

Get your mate to display a " Petrie Out" banner instead, he is the man keeping you away from ER.

Scottie
13-10-2014, 10:44 PM

Don't ever let them forget in songs and chants at games, in conversation, on social media, at family gatherings, in the pub, at work and anywhere else you can think of.

But not this. 'Lest we forget' only has one meaning and in one context. It should never be misused or diluted.

Great post ODS.

As an ex serviceman i would be highy ashamed if this banner is ever displayed with those words on it.

Leith Mo
13-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Silver I'm not alone in that! Out of interest what are your thoughts on Petrie (probably on a different thread I know but just wondering)?

stoneyburn hibs
13-10-2014, 11:06 PM

Agree, whatever the intentions and reasons it's in bad taste.

Beating that lot on the pitch is what really matters. That said, almost all of the hearts fans that I know have said it was all worth it. Hopefully karma will one day bite for that lot.

silverhibee
13-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Silver I'm not alone in that! Out of interest what are your thoughts on Petrie (probably on a different thread I know but just wondering)?

He needs to leave our club, simple as that, he is the elephant in the room that no one likes. :aok:

PETRIE OUT NOW

Leith Mo
13-10-2014, 11:36 PM
He needs to leave our club, simple as that, he is the elephant in the room that no one likes. :aok:

PETRIE OUT NOW
Well we agree on that. I'll compromise on the poppy banner but not that issue! Will be a long hard wait I think but until he goes I won't be back.

silverhibee
13-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Well we agree on that. I'll compromise on the poppy banner but not that issue! Will be a long hard wait I think but until he goes I won't be back.

So a "Petrie Out" banner it is then, get making one pronto for the Derby. :thumbsup:

Leith Mo
13-10-2014, 11:51 PM
Not sure the Derby is the place for it. Maybe at a dignified yet very focused protest afterwards when those who do go to the game (I applaud them all) are (hopefully I'm wrong but doubt it) let down yet again on the park whilst those of us watching on tv can catch sight of his sickening smirk.

Leith Mo
13-10-2014, 11:54 PM

PETRIE OUT NOW

Viva_Palmeiras
14-10-2014, 03:16 AM

Correct decision to leave the flag at home - period.
You talk about division and driving a wedge but still maintain the right to raise the flag some other time?!
i respect your opinion on a matter close to heart but really I think the "lest we forget" should not be tainted for ANY cause.

Phil D. Rolls
14-10-2014, 06:45 AM

One of the most embarrassing posts I've ever read on here.

You are a hypocrite because you don't give a monkeys about their victims. If you did you wouldn't be making light of the situation,

You thought you were going to get a big laugh with your banner and now you can't handle the fact that nobody else has joined in. So you turn your bile - which you seem to have in spades - on people on here.

You got it wrong, get your head down and get over it. The more you try to justify yourself the sillier you look.

Leith Mo
14-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Phil I despair at some of the opinions on hrre including yours yet accept them without descending to your level of abuse. I honestly don't think you've read the entire content of my comments on this. Show me where I turn on anyone here apart to say I don't agree with them? Oh and when you think more about it you might find a wee bit of an apology in order?

Phil D. Rolls
14-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Phil I despair at some of the opinions on hrre including yours yet accept them without descending to your level of abuse. I honestly don't think you've read the entire content of my comments on this. Show me where I turn on anyone here apart to say I don't agree with them? Oh and when you think more about it you might find a wee bit of an apology in order?

I'm more bothered by the hyperbole you used to justify your stance than anything else. You rant like some Soviet propaganda film, yet I'm not convinced you really care about the charities who were robbed. If you had you'd have listened to the points other people raised and would just stop this childish posturing.

Sorry if I have accused you of turning on people - but you certainly put yourself at odds with others. I think you are entirely wrong to suggest that people didn't get what you were trying to achieve with the banner. As far as I can see they did, but didn't agree with it.

You got it wrong, and you kept getting wrong. People tried to tell you nicely, and subtly, but you just didn't listen. There were two schools of thought, you and just about everyone else - you managed to unite a whole load of people who don't normally agree on what day of the week it is.

Please stop going on about it, you might have a point but this isn't the right time for what you proposed.

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Tom Farmer should get the credit he deserves for paying the debt.

Leith Mo
14-10-2014, 07:18 AM

heretoday
14-10-2014, 07:41 AM
I've read some self-righteous guff in my time but this thread beats all.

Get on with the football and leave the banners outside.

Thanks.

silverhibee
14-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Not sure the Derby is the place for it. Maybe at a dignified yet very focused protest afterwards when those who do go to the game (I applaud them all) are (hopefully I'm wrong but doubt it) let down yet again on the park whilst those of us watching on tv can catch sight of his sickening smirk.

If it's a "Petrie Out" banner you are talking about then the Derby game is the place for it, live on TV, let folk no we don't want him at our club.

Glorious St Pat
14-10-2014, 03:19 PM
If it's a "Petrie Out" banner you are talking about then the Derby game is the place for it, live on TV, let folk no we don't want him at our club.

How about tapping over the lest we forget part and leave the rest of the message? Is that a fair compromise?

GreenLake
14-10-2014, 11:37 PM
The banner displayed here caused the match to be abandoned but it probably isn't legal to fly drones in Leith anyway.:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1j7mxMwm98

Pete
15-10-2014, 02:15 AM
The banner displayed here caused the match to be abandoned but it probably isn't legal to fly drones in Leith anyway.:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1j7mxMwm98

Wow. That's actually a "greater Albania" flag, which is extremely offensive to a lot of people, especially the Serbs.

If you compiled a list of things that you simply didn't want to do, then that would be near the top. The Albanian presidents brother has been arrested and quite rightly so. He basically incited a riot and real harm could have been done to the Albanian players...especially the ones who idiotically objected to the Serb player taking the flag away.

Serbia should be fined and maybe have matches played behind closed doors but Albania should be absolutely hammered for this too. No doubt they'll get off scot-free though.

Phil D. Rolls
15-10-2014, 06:04 AM

Im sorry if you thought the post was abusive.

What I objected to was the way you seemed to say that the real problem was we didn't get the joke.

Personally I thought the amount of venom you aimed at Hearts was a bit OTT, and possibly an attempt to divert attention from what seems to have been a bad decision by you.

I also felt that you didn't seem to respond to more subtle attempts to tell you how embarrassing this whole thing is for a lot of fans (the majority if this thread is anything to go by).

If you really care about the charities getting ripped off, you're hardly going to make them feel better by making a big show of what happened. Maybe it would be wise to take a leaf out of their book and show a bit more dignity?

You keep saying I haven't read your post properly, I have and this is what I think.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-10-2014, 06:32 AM
How about tapping over the lest we forget part and leave the rest of the message? Is that a fair compromise?

Why do that when you could cut off this phrase?

So to recap my understanding...

So a guy/girl who's not setting foot in the stadium for boycott reasons gets a mate to take a banner in - one he feels particularly strongly about although hell compromise on that but not a Petite-related boycott if I got that right? He/she also acknowledges (rightly IMO) the devisive nature of the banner and agrees to give it a miss for the Derby but reserves the right to (have someone else) fly it some other time... Then another compromise taping up the words - it's like saying a dodgy phrase with covering your mouth for part of it!

Sorry my my patience is out with this. It's become a farce. As for opinion - pretty much ignore the groundswell.

Wrt OP - Dude if you're that passionate take the banner along yourself and parade it outside the stadium, get creative like the Yes campaign did hang it on a clothes line in Gorgie, take a snap of you outside Tynie with it at stupid o'clock.

Your passion for this seems a bit latent - it's not exactly news hot off the Press why not gather opinions and do something earlier - if there wasn't an appetite earlier or now for this phrased banner maybe that tells you something?

Bonkers! What's French for farce?

WeeRussell
15-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Im sorry if you thought the post was abusive.

What I objected to was the way you seemed to say that the real problem was we didn't get the joke.

Personally I thought the amount of venom you aimed at Hearts was a bit OTT, and possibly an attempt to divert attention from what seems to have been a bad decision by you.

I also felt that you didn't seem to respond to more subtle attempts to tell you how embarrassing this whole thing is for a lot of fans (the majority if this thread is anything to go by).

If you really care about the charities getting ripped off, you're hardly going to make them feel better by making a big show of what happened. Maybe it would be wise to take a leaf out of their book and show a bit more dignity?

You keep saying I haven't read your post properly, I have and this is what I think.

:agree:

And if the OP can't understand/accept that after 5 pages and the above - perhaps this thread would look better closed :confused:

silverhibee
15-10-2014, 11:40 AM

What is the rest of the message.?

FranckSuzy
15-10-2014, 12:44 PM
What is the rest of the message.?
Hearts did not pay for their poppies :greengrin

silverhibee
15-10-2014, 12:55 PM

:faf:

Pete
15-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Back to the drawing board I think.

silverhibee
15-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Why do that when you could cut off this phrase?

So to recap my understanding...

So a guy/girl who's not setting foot in the stadium for boycott reasons gets a mate to take a banner in - one he feels particularly strongly about although hell compromise on that but not a Petite-related boycott if I got that right? He/she also acknowledges (rightly IMO) the devisive nature of the banner and agrees to give it a miss for the Derby but reserves the right to (have someone else) fly it some other time... Then another compromise taping up the words - it's like saying a dodgy phrase with covering your mouth for part of it!

Sorry my my patience is out with this. It's become a farce. As for opinion - pretty much ignore the groundswell.

Wrt OP - Dude if you're that passionate take the banner along yourself and parade it outside the stadium, get creative like the Yes campaign did hang it on a clothes line in Gorgie, take a snap of you outside Tynie with it at stupid o'clock.

Your passion for this seems a bit latent - it's not exactly news hot off the Press why not gather opinions and do something earlier - if there wasn't an appetite earlier or now for this phrased banner maybe that tells you something?

Bonkers! What's French for farce?

La farce :dunno: :greengrin

Bostonhibby
15-10-2014, 04:41 PM

:agree: Big boys did it, then ran away - its the stock in trade answer for all things yam - wasnae us Guv.

Phil D. Rolls
15-10-2014, 05:59 PM
:agree: Big boys did it, then ran away - its the stock in trade answer for all things yam - wasnae us Guv.

Now THAT would be a funny banner.:agree: