PDA

View Full Version : St Mirren fail to pay minimum wage

lucky
11-10-2014, 11:34 AM
In today's Record there's a story of 18 year old Kieran Doran who signed for St Mirren on a 3&1/2 year deal with them in 2012. However the first 7 months they paid the kid £1 per week. He has now reported them to HMRC who are investigating. Surely if this is true the SPLF & SFA should take action against St Mirren for this sort of disgusting way of treating a player. It also says other clubs are nervous as apprentice footballers at other clubs may be underpaid as well

Pretty Boy
11-10-2014, 11:45 AM
I'd wager that this is a common occurence at most clubs in the country to some degree.

The sad thing about this is the lad in question is now training to be a doctor and just wants his registration released so he can play amateur and university football. The fact St Mirren are being difficult doesn't shock me though, Stewart Gilmour is easily in the top 5 most odious people I've had the misfortune to meet.

GreenArmyyy!
11-10-2014, 12:26 PM
I think if (hopefully) this lad wins his case this could start a domino effect. Can't see this being a one off case.

Gus
11-10-2014, 12:49 PM
He didn't have to sign the contract

_hucks_
11-10-2014, 12:53 PM

If the contract is for under minimum wage, it doesn't matter if he signed it or not. It is illegal and terrible treatment from the club.

Pretty Boy
11-10-2014, 12:54 PM

So it's ok for a company to breach the minimum wage laws because an employee 'doesn't have to sign the contract'?

Or is it just football you are applying this logic to?

Steven_Hibs
11-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Ryan Baptie was on a similar deal at Hibs.

CropleyWasGod
11-10-2014, 05:04 PM
The £1 deal was an agreement to keep him with a professional contract while he studied for qualifications in medicine. Suited both parties but headline writers and lawyers will paint an entirely different picture.

Just don't judge or mudsling til you get the whole story.

Nevertheless, contracts for payments below the minimum wage are not legally binding.

lucky
11-10-2014, 05:29 PM
The £1 deal was an agreement to keep him with a professional contract while he studied for qualifications in medicine. Suited both parties but headline writers and lawyers will paint an entirely different picture.

Just don't judge or mudsling til you get the whole story.

It's irrelevant if it suited him or not this is unlawful and any football club doing this sort of thing should be ashamed and disciplined by the SFA

CropleyWasGod
11-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Ok, judge and mudsling now.
Think the judgement is on the basis that it's against the law :)

emerald green
11-10-2014, 06:14 PM
I thought slavery was abolished in this country a long long time ago. :cb

OK, I don't know all the background details, but if it's true it's a sad indictment of the club concerned.

CropleyWasGod
11-10-2014, 06:26 PM
There are special circumstances taken into account such as benefits to the players such as club doctor, physio, food, transportation and hours of work to name a few.
They add up.

An 18 year old would be on a MW of £5.13 an hour.

Let's say he was contracted for 30 hours a week, that's £154.

It would be a helluva stretch to say that doctor, physio and food during working hours cost £153 per week. (Travel to and from work wouldn't be included.)

HFC 0-7
11-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Doubt footballers are actually contracted to hours per week so the player would need to prove that he worked. Sounds like this guy wasn't actually playing or training.